PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Bryant planning games in China (Why the only losers in the lockout are the fans)

John Walls Era
07-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Kobe Bryant may take his talents to China during the NBA's lockout.

There are preliminary talks about a basketball tour to China this summer and perhaps beyond in which the Lakers superstar, who has called China a "home away from home" and has an enormous following there, would be the headliner with several other NBA stars forming two or three barnstorming teams.

Bryant and his agent Rob Pelinka are trying to put together the tour, said Minnesota Timberwolves rookie forward Derrick Williams, who also is represented by Pelinka.

Williams said several clients of Pelinka's agency, the Landmark Sports Agency, could be involved in the tour.

"Hopefully I would be able to do that because I've never been out of the country and I think that would be the best thing for me," said Williams, the former La Mirada High and University of Arizona star who was drafted second overall in June's NBA draft.

Pelinka's agency lists 18 NBA players as clients, including Clippers Chris Kaman and Eric Gordon, along with former USC star and Memphis Grizzlies guard O.J. Mayo, and Chicago Bulls forward Carlos Boozer.

One interesting name on the potential list of NBA players on the tour is Lakers guard Derek Fisher, who is a Pelinka client.

Fisher is also the president of the NBA players union, which has battled the owners in a lengthy labor dispute that culminated with the owners imposing a lockout of players at 9:01 p.m. PDT Thursday, when the previous labor agreement expired.

LINK (http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-kobe-bryant-china-20110702,0,4529980.story)

Seems like a very good idea.

Players won't care if theres a lockout if they can still make major coin in other markets.

RaiderLakersA's
07-02-2011, 02:07 PM
I'd rather have Kobe rest his knee.

FriedTofuz
07-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Its true. The only losers here are the fans. We should lock the owners out like gilbert arenas said, until they make courtside seats 200 bucks and give away free hot dogs.

Fireworld
07-02-2011, 02:27 PM
I wouldnt mind watching a super star team for a couple months. It's better then not having any B ball to watch.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
07-02-2011, 02:52 PM
They should have players play w/their teams w/no coaches (kind of like a rec league) and play at college courts throughout the country.

Ladies Man
07-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Its going to be a long winter...

Hiphopopotamus
07-02-2011, 03:29 PM
......sigh........

John Walls Era
07-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I would watch this. ESPN should televise this game. Get 10 teams and have a tournament.

tbone2171
07-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Sweet..maybe Kobe will stay over there permanently

C-Style
07-02-2011, 04:13 PM
they should have 1 on 1 or 3 0n 3 tournaments

NYKalltheway
07-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Such a shame nobody wants to come to Greece these days... Would be fun to have a "tournament" to fill the schedule just before the EuroBasket :)

championships
07-02-2011, 05:27 PM
This lockout does hurt the fans more than the players. Unlike football, there are plenty of leagues around the world who would be willing to pay these players significant money to come promote and play for their teams.

Confusious
07-02-2011, 06:16 PM
NHL players went overseas when the league locked out for a full season in 2004.

Would not be surprised to see a load of high profile NBA players do the same.

NYKalltheway
07-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Most of Europe is not ready to accommodate NBA stars' needs though ;)
Perhaps 7-8 of them can get a roster spot and a good payment, but that's about it. The rest will just go to mediocre leagues with little chances of participating in a continental tournament

Korman12
07-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Who would we root for??!!

0nekhmer
07-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Brian Scalabrine is taking his talents to..

John Walls Era
07-02-2011, 10:24 PM
They could easily make money if they formed a mini league over there. Not sure how all the paper work would go, but it be fun to watch.

TO Rapz
07-02-2011, 10:39 PM

This.

Its going to be a long winter, especially if theres no football either...:cry: :(

KnickNyKnick
07-02-2011, 10:47 PM

yeah awesome. and maybe we screw the owners and start a CNBA over there and outsource the nba and still have a season this year. come back when it all blows over :D

RaiderLakersA's
07-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Such a shame nobody wants to come to Greece these days... Would be fun to have a "tournament" to fill the schedule just before the EuroBasket :)

Side bar: How IS the economy in Greece these days? I keep hearing bad things in the press.

RaiderLakersA's
07-02-2011, 11:02 PM

Just think of the nicknames the Chinese will give him. Early dibs on Red Dragon. :D

Snakeyestx
07-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Players need the fans
Fans need the players
Fans need the teams

Neither need the owners or the NBA.

That's the jist of the situation.

Solution?

Bring back the ABA and thumb a fat F-you to the owners and NBA commissioner for not hammering out a deal.

BALLER R
07-02-2011, 11:38 PM
what they should do is have a march madness like tournament

LakersIn5
07-03-2011, 12:03 AM

if the lock out extended to a no season and if kobe rested his knees until the 2012-2013 season then kobe would be ****ing rusty. so id rather see him play in china. atleast its still fun to watch.

KnicksR4Real
07-03-2011, 12:47 AM
ha

Jsoul101
07-03-2011, 03:37 AM
yay!!..make teams in China expand the market
GBA Global basketball association

DodgerBulls
07-03-2011, 04:57 AM
yay!!..make teams in China expand the market
GBA Global basketball association

I would actually watch this. Another tournament like FIBA! USA USA USA! Maybe for once for most of us, we get that pride European people get from their annual soccer matches across Europe.

MTar786
07-03-2011, 05:46 AM
i think every nba player should play over seas. china, greece, turkey, australia, spain etc etc. not only would it scare the **** out of the NBA but it would also globalize basketball. a very positive effect on the sport

sjoerdje
07-03-2011, 06:27 AM
greece isnt an option, the best basketball club are for sale at the moment.
the rest of europe can't pay for it so china it is!

poor Starbury btw, every one is coming to take his job!!

NYKalltheway
07-03-2011, 07:52 AM
greece isnt an option, the best basketball club are for sale at the moment.

no we're not for sale, just looking for potential buyers for the next 2-3 years from now ;) Just cutting budget coz of 45% taxation on high contracts

Plus, all the money is in Russia and Turkey anyway and the only team in Greece that overpaid is probably going back to dark days as their owners left. Italy and Armani's team (AJ Milano) seems to have increased their budgets so they could lure Kobe who is also part owner. And if Germans see that NBA stars are looking to play in Europe they will overspend as well, German people will definitely jump on the bandwagon. As of now, Germany doesn't have much interest in basketball, specially domestic/continental.

Wilson
07-03-2011, 08:57 AM
I would actually watch this. Another tournament like FIBA! USA USA USA! Maybe for once for most of us, we get that pride European people get from their annual soccer matches across Europe.

I would LOVE to see real competition between top NBA teams and European teams. That's probably a long way off though.

Tony_Starks
07-03-2011, 01:35 PM
reportedly Amare wants to roll with Kobe too. Im sure the Knicks are not pleased.......

Crackadalic
07-03-2011, 01:42 PM
So no more ticky tack fouls? Nice. I'm staying up to watch these games

lakersrock
07-03-2011, 02:32 PM
i'd rather have kobe rest his knee.

a-freaking-man!!!

John Walls Era
07-03-2011, 03:43 PM
reportedly Amare wants to roll with Kobe too. Im sure the Knicks are not pleased.......

Yeah I heard that too, but he wants insurance. These exhibition games are a great idea for the players, where they can get more exposure and possibly land more endorsements.

NetsPaint
07-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Would like Kobe to go to Italy. He said he wanted to go there after his NBA career, right? Would be sweet if he got to go now while he's still playing at a high NBA level.

bledrules
07-03-2011, 06:12 PM
You NBA fans should be grateful,you don't have to watch all these ego maniacs running around thinking their **** doesnt stink

ne3xchamps
07-03-2011, 06:42 PM
i think every nba player should play over seas. china, greece, turkey, australia, spain etc etc. not only would it scare the **** out of the NBA but it would also globalize basketball. a very positive effect on the sport

agreed. It would be sweet to see that. then have stern hung by his balls for being such a ****ing idiot where people could hit him like a pinata. No one would miss the NBA. The NBA doesn't make nearly as much revenue as the NFL.

**** STERN AND THE NBA!

Witness06
07-03-2011, 09:28 PM
While it sounds good and as a fan I would watch. I think most players would fear getting hurt. So the key to making something like this work is getting someone to provide insurance for these guys in the event somone gets hurt.

Personally I think all this doom and gloom is just posturing. I think you have a handful of owners who are willing to give up the season. Most of them are not willing to do that. You say what you have to to bully the little guy in this situation. I think the losses are far overstated, only the new owners who paid north of 300 mil to own their teams are losing money (most new businesses, even franchieses lose money the first few years). Some changes need to be made some give backs by the players. But when it boils down to it the real reason there is no revenue sharing (or very little) is because the profittable teams know that some guys just dont know what they are doing, and they arent willing to gaurentee them profits either!!!!

RapOZo
07-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Iverson is enjoying this

faridk89
07-04-2011, 12:54 AM
I would watch this. ESPN should televise this game. Get 10 teams and have a tournament.

have captains and the captains draft players! haha would be bomb

DoubleDragon
07-04-2011, 01:41 AM

Yep.
I'm not stoked about Pau doing his thing as well. Players always talk the whole fatigue thing, but then they fill their summer with basketball. Of course this will be during regular season time, so nevermind on that point:o But you're right. The Mamba needs to heal all his moving parts, and aside from staying in game shape as a reason, I'd like to see him heal up.

broncosfan4eva
07-04-2011, 01:53 AM
agreed. It would be sweet to see that. then have stern hung by his balls for being such a ****ing idiot where people could hit him like a pinata. No one would miss the NBA. The NBA doesn't make nearly as much revenue as the NFL.

**** STERN AND THE NBA!

Yeah sounds great. We wouldn't have pro basketball and there would be 1 more thing that is produced in China making them more powerful as a country

John Walls Era
07-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Yeah sounds great. We wouldn't have pro basketball and there would be 1 more thing that is produced in China making them more powerful as a country

I could care less about that. I just want sports (NFL and NBA).

**** STERN AND THE NBA!

The lockout is really not Stern's fault. Hes hired by the owners.

NYKnicksAllDay
07-04-2011, 04:52 AM
I could care less about that. I just want sports (NFL and NBA).

The lockout is really not Stern's fault. Hes hired by the owners.

Someone has to be the scapegoat. As commissioner he's an easy target.

VikesTwinsWolve
07-05-2011, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=John Walls Era;18458934]I could care less about that. I just want sports (NFL and NBA).

Your obviously just a young man who needs to grow up in todays world.

Jaji
07-05-2011, 12:24 PM
The real losers are the "powers that be." Without football, basketball and beer commercials to distract them, people might actually start to focus on real issues that matter and realize how effed up this country is. We're all pawns in this game with a thick wool pulled over our eyes called sports and pop culture. Just like the ancient Romans did with the gladiators, give the people "Bread and Circuses" and they won't even think about freedom. Keep em drunk and entertained while we control the natural resources that were put here for EVERYONE. Eff sports! I'll never watch another NBA or NFL game again.

nickdymez
07-05-2011, 04:31 PM

Why, so your favorite team can have a chance at winning multiple championships like mine?

WolvesJagsOs
07-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Thatd be beast if Dwill was in this. When i say Dwill i mean Derrick.

John Walls Era
07-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Your obviously just a young man who needs to grow up in todays world.

Or because I dont live in the states... ever think of that?

daleja424
07-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Some rich dude should just start up a league... Seriously. 8 teams in the first year and it will quickly expand. That would really stick it to the owners if their 500 million dollar investment in a team was suddenly worthless.

LA_Raiders
07-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Smart way to make more money, and keep in shape...

FU stern

netsgiantsyanks
07-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Why, so your favorite team can have a chance at winning multiple championships like mine?

:burn:

NYKalltheway
07-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Some rich dude should just start up a league... Seriously. 8 teams in the first year and it will quickly expand. That would really stick it to the owners if their 500 million dollar investment in a team was suddenly worthless.

well.. some rich dude won't just start a league on his own, he needs the fans to show him(or them if we're talking about 8-10 teams) that they will show interest. Also needs the players to accept terms so that the new league won't be the next D-League.

The best situation is for fan and player funded teams (semi-professional level) to go present themselves in the Senate and discuss the possibilities of a new Federal League. And screw the NBA and the team owners. Just have a basketball league like the rest of the world, where professionals, semi-professionals and amateurs have the same luck and same chances in competing either in the short run or the long run. The rich people from those regions would invest in those teams and as time passes you'll see the Lebrons and Durants of the USA joining those teams (that would mean like 20-25 new teams from each state at least, playing in state championships, and top teams from each state competing against each other in something like the soccer UEFA Cup where all games were knockout, could be playoff system outright... just an idea)

JordansBulls
07-07-2011, 11:10 PM
So if signs a contract and the NBA lockout is over what happens?