PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news: Brad richards a new york ranger

JPOOCH
07-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Brad Richards is off the market. The big fish among this year's crop of free agents has reportedly agreed to a nine-year contract Saturday to play for the New York Rangers.

TSN's Darren Dreger is reporting Richards' deal has an average annual value of $6.5 million.

Richards spent Friday at his agent Pat Morris' office in Mississauga, Ont., listening to pitches from several teams both in person and via conference calls. He decided to sleep on it and come to a final decision Saturday.

The Rangers were not one of the teams that showed up at the offices of Newport Sports Management, Inc. on Friday, but Larry Brooks of the New York Post tweeted that James Dolan, Executive Chairman of Madison Square Garden, personally spoke to Richards. The Rangers also held off from making any big deals throughout Friday in order to land Richards.

New York signed Mike Rupp for three years and $4.5 million and re-signed Ruslan Fedotenko for one year and $1.4 million.

Richards, who had 77 points in 72 games with Dallas last season, immediately becomes the Rangers' No. 1 center and will likely open training camp with Marian Gaborik on his right wing. New York's depth at center also looks much better with Richards now ahead of Artem Anisimov, Erik Christensen, Brian Boyle and Derek Stepan.

Richards has 716 points in 772 games over his NHL career, which began in 2000-01 with the Lightning. He spent seven-plus seasons in Tampa Bay, winning the Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe Trophy in 2004, before being traded to Dallas late in the 2007-08 season. He had 91 points in 80 games two seasons ago.

Other teams believed to have made contract offers to Richards or at least discussed the possibility include Los Angeles, Toronto, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia and Calgary.

The Flames reportedly got in the race late, but made a strong push and had captain Jarome Iginla make a phone call to Richards to try to sell him on Calgary. Richards was believed to be intrigued in part because of his relationship with Flames GM Jay Feaster, who was the general manager in Tampa Bay for part of Richards' tenure with the Lightning.

The Kings, Maple Leafs and Lightning showed up at Newport Sports Management, Inc. to talk to Richards and Morris about why their teams and cities would be his best destination.

Los Angeles' contingent, including Governor Tim Leiweke, GM Dean Lombardi and coach Terry Murray, left feeling good about their 90-minute pitch to Richards. They reportedly showed Richards a video that included Wayne Gretzky and Kobe Bryant talking about the merits of being a professional athlete playing and living in Los Angeles.

It obviously didn't persuade Richards enough to sign with the Kings, who now have to turn their full attention to re-signing defenseman Drew Doughty to a new contract. He is a restricted free agent and open to signing an offer sheet from another team.

"This was a high priority for the Kings and a high priority for AEG and ownership," Leiweke told Rich Hammond of the L.A. Kings Insider blog on the Kings' website. "We spent a lot of time on it in the last few weeks. We were well-prepared. We were well-organized. We were well-briefed. He was shocked as to how much we knew about him."

Lightning GM Steve Yzerman went in thinking he might be able to sell Richards on coming back to Tampa Bay, where he won the Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe Trophy in 2004. Yzerman, though, told local reporters in Tampa later Friday evening that the Lightning pulled out of the Richards' sweepstakes because the gap between what Tampa Bay was offering and what Richards wanted was too wide.

Similar to Lombardi, Yzerman now has to focus on re-signing Steven Stamkos, who, like Doughty, is a restricted free agent and open to signing an offer sheet from another club.

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren admitted he spoke to Morris "a few times" Friday, but never sounded too optimistic he would get him signed. Philadelphia signed Jaromir Jagr and Max Talbot and also traded Kris Versteeg to Florida on Friday.

Toronto reportedly sent Senior V.P. of Hockey Operations Dave Nonis, Assistant GM Claude Loiselle and Special Advisor Cliff Fletcher to the office with the Maple Leafs' pitch as GM Brian Burke is in Afghanistan visiting with Canadian troops. They were said to have met with Richards and Morris for an hour.

The Leafs are in the market for a No. 1 center to play with Phil Kessel and Richards would have filled that void, but now Burke and Co. might have to go the trade route as none exist on the free agent market.

JPOOCH
07-02-2011, 11:20 AM
^^^NHL.com

JPOOCH
07-02-2011, 11:21 AM
9 years 58.5 mill

J4KOP99
07-02-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm on a phone so I can't verify anything and I haven't seen this reported on espn yet... This is confirmed?

Dernelle
07-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Glen Sather should be fired for this contract. What a gross overpayment for a guy with concussion problems who is 31. This contract is going to be another Gomez/Drury fiasco. I guess he must give Terdorella really good reach arounds because this contract is insane

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2011, 11:35 AM
6.5 mill per year cap hit. We reportedly offered around 8 mill less than Calgary and still got him! It is going to be fun to watch some goals being scored! :)

hughest4
07-02-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the contract, but at least its front loaded. I'm definitely excited to have Brad Richards in NY!!!

Now i will go happily stare at Hope Solo for the next 3 hours.

dashripdot
07-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Glen Sather should be fired for this contract. What a gross overpayment for a guy with concussion problems who is 31. This contract is going to be another Gomez/Drury fiasco. I guess he must give Terdorella really good reach arounds because this contract is insane

Given the nutty contrcts handed out in the last two days (not to mention the Carter and Mike Richards and Pronger and Kovalchuk and Hossa and Luongo contracts in the past few years), I'd rather have Brad Richards's multiple talents for 10 years at $6.5 than Christian Erhoff's one-trick pony at 10 years and $40 mil or Wisniewski's 5/6 year at about the same hit. BYTW, everybody could be one concussion away from the end of their careers; at least the new rules are designed to reduce the risk going forward.

Redfish
07-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Oddly enough, this type of contract and player may actually enhance Sather in the eyes of Rangers ownership. He was able to sign a player well below what other clubs offered, and the team is immediately better. From a practical standpoint, I'm not sure the Dolans really care all that much about the last four years of this contract.

gabby10
07-02-2011, 11:44 AM
great signing IMO.. cheap, great player, exactly what we needed... watch out NHL

Rangers in 7
i will say this, he took less money to play with us, not to mention the deal is heavily front loaded so it will be easier to buy out in the future or he can retire.....in the end we are only paying 6.5 a year....thats great!!!

gabby10
.. oh and SLY IS BACK!!!

J4KOP99
07-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Why isn't this reported anywhere else yet?

MentalHockey
07-02-2011, 11:52 AM
i don't like the amount of years but the cap hit per year isn't as bad as i thought it would be. still, this guy has to produce. a top line of Wolski/Richards/Gaborik sounds pretty good to me, you know if Wolski can get his act together. if not, i could see moving Stepan to LW but i'd rather they keep him at C.

p.s. just so everyone knows Gilroy signed with Tampa for a year.

liltedspop
07-02-2011, 11:55 AM
any1 against this signing is a moron. its a cap friendly deal & makes it totally possible to add another scoring winger to this team. this is Sather's best move as our gm. in no way is this deal prohibitive it's insured against concussion. this is the true top line pivot this team has lacked since messier! nothing not to love about this deal!

MentalHockey
07-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Why isn't this reported anywhere else yet?

NHL.com and TSN are both reporting it. ESPN is saying it hasn't been confirmed yet but that could just be them being bitter someone else reported it WAY before they even heard it happened. such a thing has happened before.

McJoe
07-02-2011, 12:04 PM

Maybe not the right post to chyme in on with but if Sather survived Gomez, Drury, and Redden, I think he's pretty safe lol.

gabby10
07-02-2011, 12:09 PM
WOW.. gilroy IS gone.. good.. let erixon come in and show him how its done

Redfish
07-02-2011, 12:11 PM
6.5 mill per year cap hit. We reportedly offered around 8 mill less than Calgary and still got him! It is going to be fun to watch some goals being scored! :)

Sly, my man!!

We got Richards and Sly on one day! LGR!

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2011, 12:18 PM
.. oh and SLY IS BACK!!!

Hey dude!!! Big signing today. I'm pretty happy that we may have our power play quarterback now. :)

Sly, my man!!

We got Richards and Sly on one day! LGR!

LOL Red...who is next??? :)

Redfish
07-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Hey dude!!! Big signing today. I'm pretty happy that we may have our power play quarterback now. :)

LOL Red...who is next??? :)

It's anybody's guess. Yandle in a trade; Babchuk to round out the d-unit? Anthony Stewart?

Not sure; but the signing of Richards just added urgency to filling in remaining holes. His contract may be for 9yrs but the run toward the cup is the next three years.

Foge7
07-02-2011, 12:36 PM
I heard small rumors earlier today about a trade with EDM, possibly involving Cogliano and Omark, the teams are def talking, its not the first time i've heard EDM mentioned

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2011, 12:36 PM
It's anybody's guess. Yandle in a trade; Babchuk to round out the d-unit? Anthony Stewart?

Not sure; but the signing of Richards just added urgency to filling in remaining holes. His contract may be for 9yrs but the run toward the cup is the next three years.

Based on Gabs and Lundy I would agree with you that we should really go for it now and in the next 3 years. We also have some pretty good prospects in the pipeline so I think we could be good for a long time to come. LGR!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

saintant182
07-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Based on Gabs and Lundy I would agree with you that we should really go for it now and in the next 3 years. We also have some pretty good prospects in the pipeline so I think we could be good for a long time to come. LGR!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

very much ok with this deal.. dollars are great the player is elite and EXACTLY what we need as a team, he will add to the dressing room too. agree its gota happen in next 3 years.. gabby rischards and hank are 3 great players to go into battle with along with the supporting cast we have... just need to get a couple more to round it out.. yandle would be excellent...can afford to give a few prospects up too... we are a much better team with one signing!!!

dashripdot
07-02-2011, 01:55 PM
How do you think Gaborik feels right about now? He just went from Christensen to Richards in nothing flat. Now, if only everyone could stay healthy.

Isca92
07-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Glad that we got him at a cap hit that is manageable. I still think these major front loaded contracts are dumb but everyone is doing it.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2011, 02:29 PM
very much ok with this deal.. dollars are great the player is elite and EXACTLY what we need as a team, he will add to the dressing room too. agree its gota happen in next 3 years.. gabby rischards and hank are 3 great players to go into battle with along with the supporting cast we have... just need to get a couple more to round it out.. yandle would be excellent...can afford to give a few prospects up too... we are a much better team with one signing!!!

If Richards is the Richards of the past he not only gives us a #1 center but also gives us a very good PP quarterback. Nice to see he wanted to come to play for us and reportedly passed up higher offers from Tor/Calgary. :)

gabby10
07-02-2011, 02:39 PM
If Richards is the Richards of the past he not only gives us a #1 center but also gives us a very good PP quarterback. Nice to see he wanted to come to play for us and reportedly passed up higher offers from Tor/Calgary. :)

even "new richards" played great when he came back from his concussion.. lets just hope he stays healthy for the duration of the season.. if not, this is a bad signing... actually, only if the injury is to the head

nyr1980
07-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm not in love with the length of the deal, but I realize it is as long as it is to keep the cap hit down. I like the dollar amount, and I'm glad they got him. No lock up those RFA's

nyr1980
07-02-2011, 02:57 PM
BTW- I see two different dollar amounts, and there has been no official announcement from the team. Anybody know what's up with that?

apdamico
07-02-2011, 03:14 PM
How do you think Gaborik feels right about now? He just went from Christensen to Richards in nothing flat. Now, if only everyone could stay healthy.

I would guess that Christensen is going to be worked into a trade for a veteran defenseman. Boyle might bring back more because of his play last season and especially his contract, but I think the Rangers picked up Rupp to team with Boyle and Prust.

Christensen is a great guy for shootouts, but provides little else and is expendable. The only question now is do the Rangers actually put Wolski on the top line or resign Prospal for another year.

Who knows, supposedly Richards is a fan of Avery's, so if Wolski doesn't pan out, he could very well be the player on the top line. Personally, I'd like to see Thomas on our top line with Richards and Gaby.

nyanks79
07-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Very happy to become a New York Ranger today!!! Playing at MSG will be amazing and looking forward to working with a great young team

Richards twitter. A lot of current Rangers were welcoming him on twitter too.

gabby10
07-02-2011, 03:15 PM
the deal is officially 9 yrs 60 mil.. 6.67 annual average, however it is frontloaded as mentioned

apdamico
07-02-2011, 03:18 PM
the deal is officially 9 yrs 60 mil.. 6.67 annual average, however it is frontloaded as mentioned

Sly had the option to match any offer and still signed Richards for less than he was offered by some other teams - GREAT JOB!!

YankeeFanAlways
07-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Unbelievable...Brad Richards & Sly's return, all in the same day!!! :cheers::dance::up::clap:

apdamico
07-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Wow, we finally have a guy that performs when it counts in the Playoffs:

Richards led the league in playoff scoring that season, ranked second in assists and tied for second in goals, and his seven game-winning goals established an NHL record for a single playoff season.

In postseason competition, Richards has appeared in 63 career contests with the Lightning and Stars, registering 21 goals and 41 assists for 62 points, along with 36 penalty minutes.

So we get a top-line center, Qb for the dreadfull power play and a guy that doesn't fade once the playoff begin - Sounds like a Win-Win-Win situation and I definately feel much better about this signing than I did with Drury or Gomez.

I know guy's seem to lose their games once they come to New York, be it pressure or whatever; I just don't see that happening with Richards though, especially since he has a good history with the coaching staff.

SLY WILLIAMS
07-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Sly had the option to match any offer and still signed Richards for less than he was offered by some other teams - GREAT JOB!!

LOL Sly=Slats? Shush dont tell anyone. :D

Unbelievable...Brad Richards & Sly's return, all in the same day!!! :cheers::dance::up::clap:

Hey dude. I'll also be back for our Stanley Cup parade next June! :)

YankeeFanAlways
07-02-2011, 03:42 PM
LOL Sly=Slats? Shush dont tell anyone. :D

Hey dude. I'll also be back for our Stanley Cup parade next June! :)

From your lips to the Lord's ears (Lord Stanley that is) !!! :D

B-West.Joba
07-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Would you guys have rathered this deal with Richards, or getting Gagne for 2 years at 3.5 mill each, and Connolly for 2 at 4.75 each. Then we aren't stuck in a 9 year contract, and our first line of Gagne Connolly Gaborik would look pretty solid. I'm not sure which I'd prefer, I guess Richards.

jetsfan89
07-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Would you guys have rathered this deal with Richards, or getting Gagne for 2 years at 3.5 mill each, and Connolly for 2 at 4.75 each. Then we aren't stuck in a 9 year contract, and our first line of Gagne Connolly Gaborik would look pretty solid. I'm not sure which I'd prefer, I guess Richards.

two injury prone players who may be top 6 forwards but won't put up elite production, or an elite centerman we've been looking for for ages.

that's not a hard choice man.

Redfish
07-02-2011, 06:07 PM

You may have overlooked the injury prone history of each player. To have all three comprising our top line would a risk no GM or coach could work with, if the goal is to win a Stanley Cup.

As it relates to top line players, I think the Rangers made the best move possible to push this team forward. We'll all find out in 4-5 years how productive Richards is; with a declining buyout scale, it may not be as big a risk as it appears on surface.

Isca92
07-02-2011, 08:03 PM
http://****************.com/posts/577-tortorella-discusses-richards

Tortorella about Richards signing.

Isca92
07-02-2011, 08:07 PM
http://****************.com/posts/576-richards-conference-call

Richards interview

NYR_NYJ
07-02-2011, 09:14 PM
I love it.
It's not a huge cap hit and the guy is a proven scorer. I am a little weary just because of the past FA signings.

Redfish
07-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Quote from Richards:

"I see what Torts does, and it works. I know that first-hand. I see how hes bringing that young team along, and it kind of reminds me of what he did with us (in Tampa). Factor all that in together, at the end of the day, it was the right fit for me.

Let's give some credit to our coach for what he has done with this organization. From the first day of his hiring, Tortorella has talked about getting younger and faster. I am sure it wasn't easy to convince Sather to get on board with this strategy. Add to that the drafting prowess of Gordie Clark and his team, and thanksfully we fans are being setup very nicely for a consistent string of winning and exciting seasons.

Brian Burke, Dale Tallon and the newbies in Buffalo can throw around their dollars all for naught; it may be exciting in the beginning but it will get old real fast. But, the Rangers, thanks to Torts, Clarke and, yes, Sather have this organization on the path for sustained success.

J4KOP99
07-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm not good with twitter...

Somebody post some of the tweets from our guys about the Richards deal.

Al Trautwig
07-02-2011, 10:35 PM
After all that time of all of those "rumors" with so many players, we finally actually got our star and a star 1st line center for gabby and powerplay too! You have to love thinking about gaborik Richards and whoever on the top line. And as many pointed out I'm fine with the years because it's front loaded and can be bought out for not much of need be. He's also only a couple of years older than kovalchuk sow we'll be looking across the river with a similar situation.

What is it that someone said it's concussion protected? What does that mean?

Al Trautwig
07-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Brad Richards has a lower cap hit this year than Chris drury would have had!!!!

NBA_Starter
07-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Congrats

Bleeds MSG
07-03-2011, 01:07 PM
So pumped- really great move...hard not to be very excited about the potential of this team...we are close to where we want to be

gabby10
07-03-2011, 01:26 PM
ok.. if we resign our RFAs, our team should look like this

Gabby-Richards-Wolski
Cally-Dubi-Ansimov
Fedotenko-Christensen-Stepan
Prust-Boyle-Avery/Rupp/Zukes

Staal-Girardi
McDonaugh-Sauer
MDZ-Erixon

Henrik
Biron

gabby10
07-03-2011, 01:28 PM
and now that Gabby has someone to play with, i WONT be embarrassed about my username!!

bsi
07-03-2011, 01:30 PM
ok.. if we resign our RFAs, our team should look like this

Gabby-Richards-Wolski
Cally-Dubi-Ansimov
Fedotenko-Christensen-Stepan
Prust-Boyle-Avery/Rupp/Zukes

Staal-Girardi
McDonaugh-Sauer
MDZ-Erixon

Henrik
Biron

That first line would be the worst line defensively in the league.

gabby10
07-03-2011, 01:35 PM

is that your way of saying it shouldn't be this first line? what do you think will be better? and no, im not saying that my choices are better than yours.. just wondering what you think

bsi
07-03-2011, 01:47 PM
is that your way of saying it shouldn't be this first line? what do you think will be better? and no, im not saying that my choices are better than yours.. just wondering what you think

I realize everyone wants to keep the Dubi, AA, Callahan line together but I think if our roster stays the same Dubinsky will be on the first line as a some grit, some backchecking and maybe even to keep people honest around Richards and Gaborik, not saying he's a tough guy but he's willing to fight for his teammates. If we're taking Dubi off that line I'd say replace him with Avery or if Bourque can make this team put him there. Who knows maybe Richards will want his buddy Avery on his line, Gaborik and him seem to work well at times as well. Maybe Prospal gets resigned and he lands with the first line, hard to figure out just yet but here's a sample of what I'd see the lines....BTW not saying anyones lines are wrong, just my opinion on them ofcourse. :)

Dubinsky Richards Gaborik
Wolski/AveryAnisimov Callahan
Avery/Wolski Stepan Fedotenko
Rupp Boyle Prust -

gabby10
07-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I realize everyone wants to keep the Dubi, AA, Callahan line together but I think if our roster stays the same Dubinsky will be on the first line as a some grit, some backchecking and maybe even to keep people honest around Richards and Gaborik, not saying he's a tough guy but he's willing to fight for his teammates. If we're taking Dubi off that line I'd say replace him with Avery or if Bourque can make this team put him there. Who knows maybe Richards will want his buddy Avery on his line, Gaborik and him seem to work well at times as well. Maybe Prospal gets resigned and he lands with the first line, hard to figure out just yet but here's a sample of what I'd see the lines....BTW not saying anyones lines are wrong, just my opinion on them ofcourse. :)

Dubinsky Richards Gaborik
Wolski/AveryAnisimov Callahan
Avery/Wolski Stepan Fedotenko
Rupp Boyle Prust -

again, not trying to insult your opinions, because thats what the forum is for, but where does christensen fit in here? also, if borque makes the team, do you think he will get priority over zuccarello and avery? i would love to see him at least jump zukes, but i think avery should have a spot on the team. i think he is underrated.. i mean, after all, he had 21 assists last year, which is more than some of the players who have a sure spot in the lineup (feds, boyle, prust).. again, just my opinions

bsi
07-03-2011, 03:02 PM
again, not trying to insult your opinions, because thats what the forum is for, but where does christensen fit in here? also, if borque makes the team, do you think he will get priority over zuccarello and avery? i would love to see him at least jump zukes, but i think avery should have a spot on the team. i think he is underrated.. i mean, after all, he had 21 assists last year, which is more than some of the players who have a sure spot in the lineup (feds, boyle, prust).. again, just my opinions

I think Zuccarello has to blow the doors off them at camp to make the team given his size and what it takes in regard to physical play to get out of the East now. Christensen really doesn't fit here anymore, not sure what they'll be doing with him, we have enough centers. Bourque either makes the second line or he doesn't make this team, he's not a 4th line type guy. Avery proved in the playoffs he can play again, so if he continues what he did in the playoffs then he should be on the team, if he falters or creates a problem with penalties then he's off the depth charts. IMO though if Bourque makes this team it spells the end for Wolski here.

NYR_NYJ
07-03-2011, 04:09 PM
I agree^^^
I don't see MZA or Christensan on this roster next year.

themanchild
07-05-2011, 03:05 PM

I agree, and this is how I would fix it...

Boyle, Richards, Gaborik
Dubinski, Anisimov, Callahan
Wolski/ Zuccarello, Stepan, Fedotenko
Rupp, Avery/Christensen, Prust

I wouldnt touch the second line, it was great when healthy. the 4th line I propose will grind and draw penalties very well. The 3rd line seems to be spare parts at a first glance, but Fedotenko with Stepan will provide chemistry for whoever the other winger is and THAT is where I would put any rookie who makes the team (Borque/ Thomas/ ...)

The top line with Richards and Gaborik is good but who helps on D and gets into the corners? Boyle fits that role PERFECTLY, and now he has found some speed, will be able to keep up with these two and provide the down low work needed to establish puck possession. Boyle was originally acquired for his defense with the knowledge his size and hands could lend offense as well; putting him with these two will really boost his numbers as he fills his role as a top line support winger. Boyle also provides a power forward element otherwise missing which will create many rebounds for Richards to slam in and/or Gaborik to snipe.

With King Hank in net, I am not worried about who plays in between the forwards and him and long as Staal, Girardi, McDonagh and Sauer are there.

The Mecca
07-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Hey. Love the Richards signing, and I see all these potential lines being posted here.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but whats up with Frolov?

He's still on the team, no? Is he poised to return from his ACL injury in time for the season?

jetsfan89
07-05-2011, 04:07 PM
He signed a deal to play in Russia. He's no longer on the team.

The Mecca
07-05-2011, 04:12 PM
^^ K. Thanks bro.

J4KOP99
07-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Here's a few quotes from Brad Richards... he chose #19 btw. Fedotenko said it was alright.

Here's some quotes from BR:
http://****************.com/posts/588-brad-richards-quote-book

And here's the story about #19:
http://****************.com/posts/587-brad-chooses-no-19

Isca92
07-07-2011, 02:51 AM
The funny part of Feds saying its ok to wear 19, is he took 26 from Christensen who is on wearing 40. Rupp has decided on 71. I think my friend may be the first person to purchase a Richards jerseys, he picked it up at the NHL Store today.

Rangers in 7
07-07-2011, 09:20 AM
40? weird number for sure

ElementCo27
07-07-2011, 01:00 PM
I feel like for our lines it may end up looking like this:

Fedotenko-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Christensen-Stepan
Prust-Boyle-Rupp

Of course he's going to mess around with them so Wolski and Feddy will probably switch every now and then, but that first line (mostly) won Tampa the Stanley Cup. Now that Gaborik is on it, it will be very deadly. IMO of course :D

Redfish
07-07-2011, 01:21 PM
I feel like for our lines it may end up looking like this:

Fedotenko-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Christensen-Stepan
Prust-Boyle-Rupp

Of course he's going to mess around with them so Wolski and Feddy will probably switch every now and then, but that first line (mostly) won Tampa the Stanley Cup. Now that Gaborik is on it, it will be very deadly. IMO of course :D

I think the lines will be what you suggested, except for the 3rd line. I believe Stepan will stay at center, in between Wolski and Zuccarello; and Avery will be the extra forward, I think, over Christenson.

ElementCo27
07-07-2011, 01:28 PM
I think the lines will be what you suggested, except for the 3rd line. I believe Stepan will stay at center, in between Wolski and Zuccarello; and Avery will be the extra forward, I think, over Christenson.

True, very true. I feel like Avery is losing his role on the team slowly. I like the way he plays, but I don't feel he will be an every night guy. That third line is going to be tossed around so much it will go plaid haha.

Rangers in 7
07-07-2011, 02:38 PM
wolski-stepan-zucc was a very good line last year

nyr1980
07-07-2011, 02:51 PM
At times it was- was not the most consistent though. That's probably becasue you had 3 young players, two of which were rookies, on that line.

Rangers in 7
07-07-2011, 03:00 PM
At times it was- was not the most consistent though. That's probably becasue you had 3 young players, two of which were rookies, on that line.

which is fine, especially as a third line, and with steps and zucc having more experience, if wolski moves to the first line id put feds there or hagelin

Redfish
07-07-2011, 03:02 PM
True, very true. I feel like Avery is losing his role on the team slowly. I like the way he plays, but I don't feel he will be an every night guy. That third line is going to be tossed around so much it will go plaid haha.

Avery has been diminished by the contributions of Prust, Fedotenko and, going forward, Rupp. Unfortunately, he has not demonstrated a capacity to play at a high level on a consistent basis. That is what Tortorella is searching for throughout each line, because he knows that is required in order to compete and win deep into the playoffs. We are getting there, but it is not easy to accomplish; it requires a great deal of work with players on a personal, one on one basis. Some players such as Avery and Christenson may never get there.

My 2 cents. :)

Ballistik
07-08-2011, 01:25 AM
I understand the Richards-Fedotenko thing from tampa, that was 8 years ago. Fedotenko has no business on the first line, although Im sure torts will give it a shot. I think Wolski should get first crack at the that spot tho. The second line should not be touched and I would like to keep steps in the middle of Zucc and either Rupp or Feds. I love the prust boyle avery fourth line. EC can be the extra forward or get traded.

MentalHockey
07-08-2011, 06:40 AM
I understand the Richards-Fedotenko thing from tampa, that was 8 years ago. Fedotenko has no business on the first line, although Im sure torts will give it a shot. I think Wolski should get first crack at the that spot tho. The second line should not be touched and I would like to keep steps in the middle of Zucc and either Rupp or Feds. I love the prust boyle avery fourth line. EC can be the extra forward or get traded.

The offensive talent of a Wolski-Richards-Gaborik line, if Wolski played to his full potential, would be amazing. Defensively however, it would be one of the worst in hockey. Defensemen can only do so much. Whoever the third guy is on that top line, he should be a two-way forward who isn't afraid to do the dirty work along the boards and behind the net. Dubinksy and Feds are the first two that jump to my mind. The first two lines should look like -

Dubinksy-Richards-Gaborik
Wolski-Anisimov-Callahan

That way you get Dubinksy who is great on the forecheck and the backcheck, and solid if nothing spectacular on offense to go with the no-defense of Richards and Gaborik. And you get Wolski, who could be pretty good on offense if he got his act together, being assisted by the solid all around play of Callahan and Anisimov. You get some much needed defense on the first line and the potential to add even more offense to the second line.

nystandup
07-08-2011, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't mind Fedotenko lining up with Gaborik and Richards if they are able to create the chemistry, plus having Fedotenko on the 1st line would make our defense a little better while the 1st line is on the ice.

Isca92
07-08-2011, 01:05 PM
IMO Avery should be given a shot at the first line left wing. While Dubi brings more to the table, every good team has a solid 1/2 punch, which is why I'd like to see Dubi-AA-Cally, stay intact. Chemistry is very important and as we should have learned with other players, you cant just throw guys together and expect them to gel. While Dubi on the first line brings a stronger first line, the chemistry lost on the second line IMO would be harder to recreate.
Why Avery on the first line. As proven last year, Avery plays better with more ice time. Avery has the abilty to keep up with the speed of the first line, crash and dig in the corner, get the puck out and go to the net. After the whistles, who do you want the other team taking liberties on Richards, Gaborik, or Avery. He has a very strong relationship with Richards, who also has a strong relationship with Torts, which should help keep him under control. Yes Avery works well with Prust and Boyle, so does Feds and Rupp should be able to step in and fill that role also.

IMO Wolski is to inconsistant to play on the first line, there will be to much line juggling which doesn't build chemistry. IMO Feds will be better served in a shut down line, while being able to chip some in through out the year..

NYRFan76
07-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Let's hope he lives up to expectations. Sather has signed big players before, but how many of them have stayed or done well in New York? I hope he's worth that big contract!

Redfish
07-08-2011, 01:54 PM
IMO Avery should be given a shot at the first line left wing. While Dubi brings more to the table, every good team has a solid 1/2 punch, which is why I'd like to see Dubi-AA-Cally, stay intact. Chemistry is very important and as we should have learned with other players, you cant just throw guys together and expect them to gel. While Dubi on the first line brings a stronger first line, the chemistry lost on the second line IMO would be harder to recreate.
Why Avery on the first line. As proven last year, Avery plays better with more ice time. Avery has the abilty to keep up with the speed of the first line, crash and dig in the corner, get the puck out and go to the net. After the whistles, who do you want the other team taking liberties on Richards, Gaborik, or Avery. He has a very strong relationship with Richards, who also has a strong relationship with Torts, which should help keep him under control. Yes Avery works well with Prust and Boyle, so does Feds and Rupp should be able to step in and fill that role also.

IMO Wolski is to inconsistant to play on the first line, there will be to much line juggling which doesn't build chemistry. IMO Feds will be better served in a shut down line, while being able to chip some in through out the year..

Wow! 1st line....really?

I'm not sure Avery has been a 1st line player since Mites.

All kidding aside, while he has looked o.k. with Gaborik at times, it has never lasted beyond a few games. Avery simply doesn't have the offensive skills to be a 1st line winger, in my view.

Honestly, I see him hanging onto a role with the team, but just by a thread.

Rangers in 7
07-08-2011, 02:35 PM
avery i believe will be the odd man out

fingerbang
07-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Dubi has to play on the first line. That line is going to need some grit and Dubi won't have any trouble keeping up with them. Throw Wolski on line two with Step/Anisimov and Callahan. His playmaking ability will complement that line nicely.

I like Avery and I really don't think he'd be a terrible fit on the first line be he can barely get 4th line minutes under Torts. I just don't see him getting that promotion.

nyr1980
07-08-2011, 03:51 PM
A north-south type player like Dubinsky would probably fit well with Richards and Gaborik. He'd give that line some grit, to go in the corners and play along the boards and win pucks.

Garden Faithful
07-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Wow! 1st line....really?

I'm not sure Avery has been a 1st line player since Mites.

All kidding aside, while he has looked o.k. with Gaborik at times, it has never lasted beyond a few games. Avery simply doesn't have the offensive skills to be a 1st line winger, in my view.

Honestly, I see him hanging onto a role with the team, but just by a thread.

If you read what he said above it isn't because he is an outstanding talent it is to protect the two players on the 1st line as well as because he is gritty and can skate with that line. Dubi is the perfect fit for the line but a lot of people don't want to take apart the anisimov - callahan -dubinsky line. I don't like wolski there because he disappears for games at a time and although he has the skill to be there I don't know that he should be rewarded for his so-so play. We'll see what happens, aside from all that Torts will change the lines every game anyway so it probably doesn't matter who starts the season there.

Redfish
07-08-2011, 04:06 PM
If you read what he said above it isn't because he is an outstanding talent it is to protect the two players on the 1st line as well as because he is gritty and can skate with that line. Dubi is the perfect fit for the line but a lot of people don't want to take apart the anisimov - callahan -dubinsky line. I don't like wolski there because he disappears for games at a time and although he has the skill to be there I don't know that he should be rewarded for his so-so play. We'll see what happens, aside from all that Torts will change the lines every game anyway so it probably doesn't matter who starts the season there.

Thanks, I overlooked that part. Still, if that is the primary need, Avery would not be my selection. He doesn't really intimidate players; he is more of an instigator than anything else.

I'm just not much of a fan of Avery. I don't get why so many fans blame the referees and coach for his inability to have consistent success on the ice. It's gotten real old, but I understand the entertainment value for some.

nyr1980
07-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Though I'm not sure if Torts really wants to breakup the line of Dubinsky-AA-Callahan.

There is enough depth at forward though, provided they get all signed, and especially with secondary scoring guys who would play on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines, to move Dubinsky up to the left wing on the 1st line and slide someone else into his presumed spot on the left of the 2nd line.

But if you do move Dubinsky up to the 1st line, you lose the ability to have him slide over and take faceoffs as needed on a 2nd line or 3rd line. This team suffered in the circle last year. Richards helps, and I think AA and Stepan will get better. But Dubinsky and Byle were their best in the circle last year. Those two took 1900 faceoffs combined, with Dubi winning 52.5% and Boyle winning 48.5%. Christensen was 49.5% in the circle, AA was 44.5% and I beleive that Stepan was below 40%. It is a bit of a risk in that department if they move Dubinsky.

nyr1980
07-08-2011, 04:22 PM
And Christensen, AA, and Stepan combined only took like 200 more faceoffs than Dubi and Boyle, and only at a combined winning rate of 43.9%. Contrarily, if you add up Dubinsky, Boyle, and Richards, they took nearly 3000 faceoffs and won a combined 50.4%. That's a6% difference, which is a ton in faceoff percentage.

Isca92
07-08-2011, 04:56 PM
I can't see Avery being the odd man out this year unless one of the prospects has a great camp. I never said Avery was intimidating but face it other then Prust or Rupp no on one this roster is. Again Dubi would be better on the first line but, his face off ability and chemistry with AA and Cally is not something I would want to take away from the second line.
So, going forward with keeping the second line together who would you like out there here is how I came up with Avery. The first line has a sniper, has a play making center who can score, and the last spot is up in the air. IMO you want someone who his gonna battle down-low in the corners and go to the net. You have 1 guy who is great with the puck, one guy who can shoot, do you really want Wolski being the hard worker on the line? Do you want Gabs going into the corner and getting hurt again like last year? IMO you Feds playing with Prust and Boyle, which has worked well, or with Stepan and whoever makes the spot whether it be EC, Zuc, Wolski?

I personally don't think Wolski will be here this season. I expect him to be moved to a team trying to reach the cap floor. What does he really bring to the table other then his shootout ability. Add to the fact that Richards is 2nd in career goals in the shootout so that is a reason to get rid of one of the guys whos sole purpose is to score in the shootout.

nyr1980
07-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Well, I can absolutely see Torts keeping Dubi with AA and Cally on the 2nd line. If he doesn't bump Dubi up, I think Wolski or Stepan are the most logical options for the LW of the 1st line. I can see Wolski being moved out of town, as someone might want him. He has appeal to a team trying to reach the cap floor like you said, and the skill is there, plus he's always been very good in the shootout. But he's sooooooooo inconsistent and he's a total underachiever who is soft. I think the trade market for him is small.

To me, Stepan makes more sense in that spot than anyone besides Dubinsky. He'd give that line a righthanded shooter, and on the off-wing so he could shoot off the pass with his forehand to the slot. He has offensive skill. He does go to the net, and isn't unwilling to play down low, battle for pucks, and get dirty. Plus I think Boyle Prust and Feds are the 3rd line no matter what, so unless you slot him on with the 1st line on the LW, or move Dubi and slide Stepan up there, most likely on the LW, then he'd be on the 4th line and in a position to lose icetime, and I don't think Torts wants that.

He handled himself very well as a rookie and was getting 16+ mins anight.

nyr1980
07-08-2011, 05:40 PM
I can't see Avery being the odd man out this year unless one of the prospects has a great camp. I never said Avery was intimidating but face it other then Prust or Rupp no on one this roster is. Again Dubi would be better on the first line but, his face off ability and chemistry with AA and Cally is not something I would want to take away from the second line.
So, going forward with keeping the second line together who would you like out there here is how I came up with Avery. The first line has a sniper, has a play making center who can score, and the last spot is up in the air. IMO you want someone who his gonna battle down-low in the corners and go to the net. You have 1 guy who is great with the puck, one guy who can shoot, do you really want Wolski being the hard worker on the line? Do you want Gabs going into the corner and getting hurt again like last year? IMO you Feds playing with Prust and Boyle, which has worked well, or with Stepan and whoever makes the spot whether it be EC, Zuc, Wolski?

I personally don't think Wolski will be here this season. I expect him to be moved to a team trying to reach the cap floor. What does he really bring to the table other then his shootout ability. Add to the fact that Richards is 2nd in career goals in the shootout so that is a reason to get rid of one of the guys whos sole purpose is to score in the shootout.

IMO, any forward prospect that makes this team will have to have an unbelieveable camp to do so, and even then I'm not so sure. And among the group, Kreider is going back to school, and Thomas, Bourque, Hagelin (who round out the forwards among their top 10 prospects) have never played above college or junior hockey. Grachev is gone, and there are going to be a lot of forwards with significant NHL experience in camp. A D prospect might make the roster, but I think it is less likely with a forward.

I disagree with you on Avery. His playing time will be down this year I think, and he only was getting 12 or 13 mins a night last year. Torts really gets frustrated with him, and he doesn't really have a niche on this team that he fills consistently and effectively. For every game he plays in which he's effective, there are 10 games in which he's either a hinderance or a non-factor. And he doesn't have the skill to get away with that.