PDA

View Full Version : UFA Begins: Rumblins, Grumblings and Back Talk

redwhiteandblue
07-01-2011, 04:07 PM
We don't have a thread for just general official UFA chatter or what not. Thought I would start one and the Richards thread can stay a Richards thread.

I know it's Ek, I just throw these things out there no one has to fill me in on what I already know about his credibility, but he says Leino is heading to a team in the East soon. I really hope we can be that team.

Welcome Mike Rupp to Broadway.

And also, man Florida is making some moves:
Signed Ed Jovanovski
Traded for Kris Versteeg
Traded for Brian Campbell
Signed Scottie Upshall
Signed Jose Theodore (solid back up, decent back up plan to trading Vokoun which would only bring a strong return to bolster the line up)

Dale Tallon is strutting his stuff and showing why he's a legitimate NHL GM. He's taking a team that no one wants to go to, continually under-performs and has not had anything to cheer about since its inaugural season reaching the Cup Finals. Good for hockey in Florida. Too bad Miami is more littered with retiree's and hockey know-no's more then anywhere else in that state!

redwhiteandblue
07-01-2011, 04:08 PM
The Versteeg trade brings the Flyers two more good picks, a 2nd and 3rd from Florida. Despite the constant moves they still have themselves positioned nicely as a franchise in a whole.

redwhiteandblue
07-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Also has anyone else seen this Avs trade?

Washington Capitals trade Varlamov the the Avs for a 1st and 2nd rounder. :speechless:

Holy ****in overpayment.

jetsfan89
07-01-2011, 04:13 PM

Washington Capitals trade Varlamov the the Avs for a 1st and 2nd rounder. :speechless:

Holy ****in overpayment.

that avs pick could potentially be a lotto pick

nyanks79
07-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Ville Leino has agreed to terms with BUF, 6 years for $27M.

redwhiteandblue
07-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Ville Leino has agreed to terms with BUF, 6 years for $27M.

Boo. :( Just came here to sadly post this:

RT @SabresDotCom: The #Sabres have signed UFA forward Ville Leino to a multi-year contract. More details coming soon on Sabres.com
via @JimCerny

I like what Buffalo is doing, also. They've added Leino who's a great depth/secondary scoring guy. One of the elite shutdown defenders in the game Robyn Regher and locked up Ehrhoff who might be a bit overrated especially salary wise but a very solid option on the blue line.

Desert Plains
07-01-2011, 04:17 PM

Holy ****in overpayment.

I agree. If they locked him up long term, then maybe it would make a little more sense. But, to only give him 2 years (unless he'd still be restricted after the 2 years) doesn't seem to make sense.

Redfish
07-01-2011, 04:45 PM
I think this free-agency assures the negotiations with both Dubinsky and Callahan will be more difficult than just a few days ago. The market value is clearly being re-established higher. There were a lot of complaints about reports that Dubinsky was seeking $4.5mm, and that he wasn't worth a "4" handle. Well, these signings all suggest $4.5mm is a reasonable number and, dare I say, "hometown discount"?

Leino 6yrs, $27mm......that = $4.5mm per season
Erik Kole, 4yrs $18mm....that = $4.5mm per season

Ryder and Upshall got $3.5mm per season.

The off-season signings of our RFAs just became more difficult, in a meaningful way.

nyanks79
07-01-2011, 05:00 PM
FLA signs Tomas Fleischmann for four years, $18M.

Really getting down to just Richards. FLA really active.

jetsfan89
07-01-2011, 05:00 PM
I think this free-agency assures the negotiations with both Dubinsky and Callahan will be more difficult than just a few days ago. The market value is clearly being re-established higher. There were a lot of complaints about reports that Dubinsky was seeking $4.5mm, and that he wasn't worth a "4" handle. Well, these signings all suggest $4.5mm is a reasonable number and, dare I say, "hometown discount"?

Leino 6yrs, $27mm......that = $4.5mm per season
Erik Kole, 4yrs $18mm....that = $4.5mm per season

Ryder and Upshall got $3.5mm per season.

The off-season signings of our RFAs just became more difficult, in a meaningful way.

Dubinsky + Callahan = RFA

Those guys = UFA

Our RFA situation won't be affected by whatever happens today.

Desert Plains
07-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Well, I think UFA or RFA means more money - the salaries are going up, as they always do. But, the fact that the Cap went up more then expected, plus the fact that there's a Cap floor now, teams have more money to spend and in some cases have to spend more money (one reason Florida was willing to take on Campbell's contract).

redwhiteandblue
07-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Wow Fleischmann too?

jetsfan89
07-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Well, I think UFA or RFA means more money - the salaries are going up, as they always do. But, the fact that the Cap went up more then expected, plus the fact that there's a Cap floor now, teams have more money to spend and in some cases have to spend more money (one reason Florida was willing to take on Campbell's contract).

When arbitration cases are made, each side is allowed to bring up the contract of a comparable RFA. That's why whatever happens in UFA doesn't apply here. If Callahan wants more than 5 million because Leino or some one else is making 4.5, he can't do anything except wait for arbitration. But he can't use those contracts for his argument in arbitration cases. The most comparable RFA would be Drew Stafford, who's going to make 4 million per year. I'd expect Dubi and Cally's contracts to be in that neighborhood.

redwhiteandblue
07-01-2011, 05:28 PM
When arbitration cases are made, each side is allowed to bring up the contract of a comparable RFA. That's why whatever happens in UFA doesn't apply here. If Callahan wants more than 5 million because Leino or some one else is making 4.5, he can't do anything except wait for arbitration. But he can't use those contracts for his argument in arbitration cases. The most comparable RFA would be Drew Stafford, who's going to make 4 million per year. I'd expect Dubi and Cally's contracts to be in that neighborhood.

The RFA process is so hard to grasp, especially after the upteenth time it's been explained. :rolleyes:

Desert Plains
07-01-2011, 05:33 PM

Well, it's hard to imagine that an UFA contract won't influence a arbitrators decision (it's only natural). But, regardless not all RFA's go to arbitration. I didn't hear Callahan and Dubinsky agreed to arbitration (which would mean they are technically signed already).

redwhiteandblue
07-01-2011, 05:40 PM
It is absolutely illegal to let any UFA contract alter their decision. For an arbitrator to do that would be them on their own grounds superseding the NHL's law and for who's benefit? After all they are suppose to be a neutral entity.

If the only evidence allowed to be brought up is RFA's contract and what other players in their situations have gone through and garnered because of it an arbitrator is not just going to be like "Well Mr. Callahan Tomas Fleishcmann did get $4 mil a year last week, so I'm just gonna bump you up to $4.5".

jetsfan89
07-01-2011, 05:47 PM
I quoted this a while back, but the CBA actually mentions that UFA contracts can't be used as evidence. What arbitrators usually do is split the difference anyways. Its a short term solution however.

Isca92
07-01-2011, 06:46 PM
While the UFA situation shouldn't have anything to do with Cally/Dubi contracts it will, if someone throws them an offer sheet it will.

Isca92
07-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Phoenix is listening to offers for RFA Keith Yandle according to bob mckenzies. It would be nice to try and steal him.

Redfish
07-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Phoenix is listening to offers for RFA Keith Yandle according to bob mckenzies. It would be nice to try and steal him.

I'd like to see an aggressive offer made for Yandle. That would markedly improve this club and, if we are so lucky to win the Richards sweepstakes, we could actually compete deep into the playoffs.

nyr1980
07-02-2011, 01:33 AM
You're damn right it would.

The three greatest commodiites in the sport are as follows:
1) An elite goaltender
2) An legitimate top center
3) A puck moving defenseman who plays 22 mins a night or better and doesn't hurt you in your own end.

With Lundqvist already being around, adding Richards and Yandle might make this team, with it's young D-core and great group of secondary scoring, two-way forwards, a legit cup contender, Especially with a guy like Torts, who has already won a Cup and knows what it takes to do so at the helm.

nyr1980
07-02-2011, 01:36 AM
BTW, after those 3 points come:

4) A goal scoring winger.
5) A two-way forward- preferrably a centerman.
6) A pair of lock down defensemen.

Isca92
07-02-2011, 02:03 AM
Redfish, how aggressive would you get? I would start with a first round pick, then one of the defensive prospect in Valentenko or Pashnin ( I keep MDZ Erixon McIlrath). The question is where do you go from there cause it should take more from there because I'm sure others are putting offers out for him as well.

MentalHockey
07-02-2011, 02:40 AM
I wonder if Sharp is still a viable trading option. I thought I read somewhere that he is close to a contract extension with the Blackhawks but you never know. Pairing him with Richards and Gaborik looks like a pretty explosive first line. Anyone think Wolski, Christensen and a pick/prospect would be enough?

Redfish
07-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Redfish, how aggressive would you get? I would start with a first round pick, then one of the defensive prospect in Valentenko or Pashnin ( I keep MDZ Erixon McIlrath). The question is where do you go from there cause it should take more from there because I'm sure others are putting offers out for him as well.

The type of offer I would make would include Del Zotto, 2012 1st round pick and either a forward or defensive prospect, whichever is more appealing to Phoenix. As an RFA, I believe there is the risk of an arbitration resolution, which means a one year resolution, and this would place the Rangers in the risk of being unable to sign him at end of next season. For this reason, any offers that come in have to reflect this risk.

But if a player such as Yandle were acquired, that would sharply mitigate the need for Del Zotto. Yandle is a special player -- he will cost a lot.

Desert Plains
07-02-2011, 09:10 AM

Considering we really don't have any puck moving defensemen in the system - - at least I don't think so other than MDZ (who really seemed to be more hype then substance while at the NHL level), than trading for Yandle makes alot of sense, since we need to find one somewhere. And we have a bunch of the "stay at home" defenders.

It's possible teams could work out a trade that includes swapping RFA's as part of a package. We have depth on the blueline, and could include a package that incluled Sauer and Anisimov. I'm not sure Valentenko is that highly thought of, though maybe as part of a package (I keep hearing his skaking isn't good enough for the NHL).

Isca92
07-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Hockeymental, IMO it would take alot more for Sharp then Wolski EC pick prospect unless the prospect is one we shouldnt give away like Thomas or Kreider.

Redfish, While he is restricted I believe at this point who ever trades for him would be given permission to talk to him before trading for him to confirm that he will sign there. Its not like a guy who is about to become a UFA like ehrhoff. I would like to keep MDZ and gove him one more shot. If Richards decides to be a Ranger, I would offer AA because we have Stepan and Boyle for 2 and 3 spots and can use EC as a fourth. I like Sauer reminds me of Girardi coming up, makee the safe play and gets the job done but hes the only one of the d that played last season that I would move.

Rangers in 7
07-02-2011, 10:57 AM
i would move girardi, considering his value is so high right now

nyanks79
07-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Rangers traded minor-leaguer Brodie Dupont to Predators for RFA RW Andreas Thuresson.

I think that is easily the biggest news of the day.

MentalHockey
07-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Rangers traded minor-leaguer Brodie Dupont to Predators for RFA RW Andreas Thuresson.

I think that is easily the biggest news of the day.

i haven't heard anything else of importance...

dashripdot
07-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Rangers have about $18 mil left to spend (Callahan, Dubinsky, AA, Boyle and Sauer should all get done for less than $13 mil). With the remaining $5 mil they have to add three more defensemen if they carry a healthy scratch: I assume that at least one of the top-six will come from within and that will be Erixon at $1.75. If MDZ makes the club that's another $1.09 mil. Do they add a forward, possibly for the top line, or go after a defenseman and let MDZ mature another year in the AHL? Do they go big in a trade (there are no big UFAs left, except for Kaberle, and I don't see him as a good addition to this club) or small from what's left of the UFAs?

NYY09
07-03-2011, 07:24 AM
As I've said before I could see a Girardi, Wolski and picks/prospects for a 1st line wing to go with Brad and Gabs. IMO a move like that would make us serious contenders. Also having a puck moving Dman would be great, maybe Erixon...?

bsi
07-03-2011, 07:29 AM
As I've said before I could see a Girardi, Wolski and picks/prospects for a 1st line wing to go with Brad and Gabs. IMO a move like that would make us serious contenders. Also having a puck moving Dman would be great, maybe Erixon...?

I think half of the team would be traded before Girardi.

dashripdot
07-03-2011, 07:59 AM
NHL.com story quotes Sather as saying the top LW will come from within because he has no plans to acquire any more forwards. We can only hope somebody steps up.

NYY09
07-03-2011, 08:25 AM
I think half of the team would be traded before Girardi.

Why? what makes you say that?

NYY09
07-03-2011, 08:26 AM
NHL.com story quotes Sather as saying the top LW will come from within because he has no plans to acquire any more forwards. We can only hope somebody steps up.

Right, because I always believe what GM's tell the press... Though I can see how that opening would leave a spot open if someone steps up during the season. Either way, should be an exciting year...

bsi
07-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Why? what makes you say that?

Girardi is a Tortorella favorite, can't see him parting with him. He's one of two reliable defensemen we have, between him and Staal and maybe to a lesser extent Sauer, but beyond that we don't have much on D at this point. I just don't see him being traded, maybe DelZotto, but not Girardi.

bsi
07-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Right, because I always believe what GM's tell the press... Though I can see how that opening would leave a spot open if someone steps up during the season. Either way, should be an exciting year...

Dubinsky will be on the wing unless they make a trade, add some grit and backchecking to a line that will be void of either.

NYY09
07-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Dubinsky will be on the wing unless they make a trade, add some grit and backchecking to a line that will be void of either.

Dubi had great chemistry on the line with AA and Cally, and i'm not really sure he's a first liner. I do however completely agree with you on what type of player that first lines needs.

NYY09
07-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Also, some questions heading in are:

Where does Avery fit in? How about Thomas if he has a great camp...? Can't keep MZA in the minors another season can you? Who are the pairing after Staal - Girardi and McMonster-Sauer? Erixon-..... ? And more...

As I've said, cant wait for training camp, oh and the season more importantly... :D

Foge7
07-03-2011, 09:42 AM
I'd be up for a trade, grab somebody for our first line. Market just isn't that great right now, and we need to complete our first line. After getting Richards you feel good, but we are still a piece away on that first line, so fill that hole and go into the season fully confident. UFA wise, not much left, unless we want to bring back Kovalev but he's no longer a 1st line wing. A trade would have to happen to fill this hole. So maybe we sign a UFA d-man like Boychuk or Sopel, then move some youth for a notable 1st line winger.

bsi
07-03-2011, 11:31 AM
I personally don't see too many teams making trades right now, if we wanted a trade it would have had to have been made either before the draft or before this free agency started, or atleast before all the good players were gone. I'm not interested in Kovalev or any other older guy like that, unless ofcourse we are bringing Prospal back(that is if he's healthy). Vinny is better than any free agent that is left IMO, but ofcourse like I said he'd have to be healthy. I'm personally ok with our team as it is and I see our lines shaping up like this.

Dubinsky Richards Gaborik
Bourque Anisimov Callahan
Avery Stepan Fedotenko
Rupp Boyle Prust -Hagelin/MZA

Staal Girardi
Sauer Erixon
MDZ McDonagh ....Eminger

NYY09
07-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I personally don't see too many teams making trades right now, if we wanted a trade it would have had to have been made either before the draft or before this free agency started, or atleast before all the good players were gone. I'm not interested in Kovalev or any other older guy like that, unless ofcourse we are bringing Prospal back(that is if he's healthy). Vinny is better than any free agent that is left IMO, but ofcourse like I said he'd have to be healthy. I'm personally ok with our team as it is and I see our lines shaping up like this.

Dubinsky Richards Gaborik
Bourque Anisimov Callahan
Avery Stepan Fedotenko
Rupp Boyle Prust -Hagelin/MZA

Staal Girardi
Sauer Erixon
MDZ McDonagh ....Eminger

You really see Borque being ahead of Thomas? Also, I dont see MZA as a fourth liner, just as I find Avery on the 3rd a little much, that line w/ Step and Feds needs someone that can put it in the net.

Maybe, just maybe we will see Vinny of the 1st line if we bring him back. Dunno, too much speculating...

Redfish
07-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Did anyone notice the signing of Anthony Stewart by the Hurricanes? 2yrs at $900k per season. This is a player I thought the Rangers might evaluate as a potential free agent signing. Stewart, a former 1st round pick, is young, big and physical; and totaled 39 points last year, the first season out of five where he played an entire year at the NHL level.

Florida isn't the best organization for developing its prospects, so he seems like a late bloomer. I would have thought he could get more $$ than $900k per season.