PDA

View Full Version : Kobe underwent plasma injection therapy in Germany

NBAfan4life
07-01-2011, 12:12 PM
I really hope this helps his knee. Nadal and Hines Ward have also done this. Nadal is still competing at a very high level not sure about Ward.

Thoughts on this?

FriedTofuz
07-01-2011, 12:25 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/la-sp-kobe-bryant-knee-20110701,0,6392704.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fsports%2Fbasketball %2Fnba+%28L.A.+Times+-+Basketball%29

Lakers guard Kobe Bryant has taken an unusual step to try to strengthen his ailing right knee, undergoing an innovative procedure in Germany about a month ago, according to four people familiar with the situation who were not authorized to speak publicly.

The treatment is a derivation of platelet-rich plasma therapy. PRP procedures are less invasive than many surgeries involving the knee and are viewed as either an emerging solution to knee problems or a financial gamble on unproven science.

Bryant, who turns 33 next month, has been bothered in recent seasons by an arthritic joint in his right knee. He has undergone three other knee procedures since 2003, including surgery last July to remove unspecified loose bodies.

He sat out an overwhelming majority of the Lakers' practices this past season and saw his scoring, shooting percentage and minutes decrease in his 15th NBA season

Although this is lakers related news, I think the rest of the nba would be interested on how kobe is doing.
I didnt know such a procedure existed, hopefully it helps so kobe doesnt end up like brandon roy.

uncleben989
07-01-2011, 12:28 PM
can you inject a source please thanks

tjlipford
07-01-2011, 12:34 PM
can you inject a source please thanks

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/30365046

SteBO
07-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Whatever works for him is fine with me. I want to see Kobe continue to play high level ball for a bit longer, and doing whatever he can to strength his knee would be a big help in accomplishing that.

NBAfan4life
07-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Whatever works for him is fine with me. I want to see Kobe continue to play high level ball for a bit longer, and doing whatever he can to strength his knee would be a big help in accomplishing that.

Couldn't of said it any better myself

Slug3
07-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Whenever the NBA comes back we will see if it works, or maybe it could just be the extended rest. Either way no matter what he does to his body he is still getting older and has a good 16 years or so of NBA high level play on his body.

Trace
07-01-2011, 01:17 PM
He must be desperate.

The results from placebo control groups and double blind tests have been "inconclusive" to say the least.

shep33
07-01-2011, 01:22 PM
He must be desperate.

The results from placebo control groups and double blind tests have been "inconclusive" to say the least.

I wouldn't say that, the reason why he did it, from what I understood, is that its the least invasive form of treatment.

Lake_Show2416
07-01-2011, 01:29 PM
wutever does the job to keep him playing, appreciate it Kobe

lakersrock
07-01-2011, 03:32 PM
This combined with a shortened or no season will really help him. Just imagine what a year of rest would do for it. I honestly think an extended lockout extends his career 2-3 years. (Not his prime, career.)

mzgrizz
07-01-2011, 04:03 PM
He must be desperate.

Pretty much sums it up. May not be so desperate as hopeful. Not SOP here because of lack of proof of benefit

mzgrizz
07-01-2011, 04:04 PM
I really hope he's an outlier and it works.

Sly Guy
07-01-2011, 07:28 PM
unproven science, but it seems like a minimal risk with plenty of potential gains. I know Nadal has had knee problems in the past, and continues to experience them, but does anyone know what he thinks of the procedure, or anyone that's undergone it?

this is cool stuff, I love these top-end procedures modern science comes up with.

JNA17
07-01-2011, 08:39 PM
hey wait a min...potential 2 year lock out...kobe rest during those times...MJ retired for 2 years as well in his early 30s....IT'S A SIGN!

OH MY GOD! :speechless:

MiamiWadeCounty
07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
I've had this operation done to my knees. All they did for me was take blood from my elbow and inject into my knee to increase its strength. It is a minor procedure however it was quite painful for me and it did not really make my knees stronger tbh.

KnicksR4Real
07-01-2011, 10:00 PM
sounds complicated

shep33
07-02-2011, 02:12 AM
See I read/heard that it wasn't just a plasma injection, but some other new innovative procedure involving plasma injection. Could be wrong though

RaiderLakersA's
07-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Whatever works. Either way the Lakers need to start building for the future. Whether Kobe has 1 year left or 3, the Lakers have been competitive...more or less... for decades. We need to do whatever it takes to maintain that track record. I'd hate to see what happened to the Raiders happen to the Lakers.