PDA

View Full Version : RACE TO THE MVP 2011/2012: Part One: Predictions?

JasonJohnHorn
06-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Alright. They havent played a game yet, and may very well not play one at all, but who do you guys have making a run at MVP this upcoming season?

Rose is out in my book. Chi-town has his standards now. Anything less than the best record in the league is a step back, so unless Rose's defence turns into the best in the league, or he starts grabbing 8 or 9 boards a game whilst dishing out 10+ dimes, I cant see him running away with an MVP next season.

LBJ, Wade and Kobe are obvious picks, as is Dirk after the performance he put in the post season. Durant could be ranking up their high if the Thunder secure the best record in the West, and who knows, Amare and Melo could see things fall into place for them.

But lets go with some less obvious picks if we can.

My two are as follows:

One: Stephan Jackson. Jackson thrives in new enviroments, is a great defender, great scorer, and knows how lead on the floor. I see the Bucks making the playoffs with him on their roster, so long as they stay healthy, and that will get his name in the conversation at least!

Rondo! He will be the best player on his team next year, and I expect these Celtics want to make people remember them. They arent walking into the sun-set yet, and with Rondo's defence, improving jump shot, and playing making, I see him post a career year with the Celtics perhaps proving they are more than just a one-and-done championship team.

Who do you think is going to make waves this year?

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Either Rose, Durant or Howard.

Cowboys4Life619
06-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Please tell me you didn't put Dwight Howard on your list that includes Yao Ming, who's a hangnail away from retirement. Dwight Howard is going to have his best year this year...he wants the money...he should have won last year too!!

So from your list...i'll go with other...even though you forgot to mention the best 2 way player in the league right now...lol!

LTBaByyy
06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Dirk will be the 2011-2012 MVP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was the front runner for MVP last season before he got injured

Cool007
06-30-2011, 02:42 PM
Either Rose, Durant or Howard.

This.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-30-2011, 02:43 PM

What are you talking about?

Durant is hype
06-30-2011, 02:43 PM
IMO,Dwight won't win it unless the absolute overachieve as a TEAM.

Geargo Wallace
06-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Andrea Bargnani WNBA MVP

gsgs49
06-30-2011, 02:47 PM
Zaza Pachulia

Slimsim
06-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Right now my top 3 mvp candidates are Durant, Rose Howard.

TO Rapz
06-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Andrea Bargnani WNBA MVP

This.

ManRam
06-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Rose's MVP chances probably are done for the foreseeable future, unless he becomes the clear best player in the MVP. Now that his team has finished first in the NBA and isn't coming from nowhere, the story won't be as great. His team's turnaround was the biggest reason he won, and now there's no way to turn that team around any more.

Probably won't be Bron or Wade as long as they're together and after the Finals lost.

Dirk has a chance, but again, his team is at the top. He'd either have to just play amazingly well or the team would have to run away with the best record.

Dwight has a great chance if Orlando can get better. They're now a team that's under the radar, and that will help him in the MVP race.

Durant has a chance too, but OKC needs to get markedly better.

I might be a homer here, but Dwight has the easiest chance to win it if his team has success (a big question mark). The Heat, Bulls, Mavs and Thunder are all at the top. Since MVP is such a team-dependent award, bringing a team that lost in the first round to a top 2-3 record in the East is more impressive than any of those guys getting their teams to a top 2-3 record.

KnicksR4Real
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
I have a feeling the Knicks are going far this year. Melo!

Sir Buckets
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Rose, Howard/Dirk, Durant

In that order imo

Cal827
06-30-2011, 03:10 PM
LOL @ "Anybody other than Bargnani" :D

mjm07
06-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Durant
Lebron/Wade
Rose
Howard

IMO.

WizFan3
06-30-2011, 03:14 PM
deff kd

Baller1
06-30-2011, 03:15 PM
OKC will finish as the #1 seed if there's basketball next season, and therefore Durant will win MVP.

RLundi
06-30-2011, 03:17 PM
I think it's gonna be LeBron, I really do. I think he's gonna come out of the gate in what Bill Simmons calls 'Eff You mode' and try to destroy everyone while proving he's the best player ... either that, or completely shrink and fade into obscurity.

I don't know if you can ever just acquire a heart or killer instinct, but he already has the immeasurable talent. And it'll be on full display- at least, in the regular season.

GoPacers33
06-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Granger hahaha. How is Evan turner on there

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Dwight.

And no Stephen Jackson is not a "great" defender or a "great" scorer.

BkOriginalOne
06-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Rose won't be MVP because he's already taken that team to it's heights.
Look for Carmelo to have a big year in his 1st full season in NY - you know he wants to have a big year. Dare, I say it, Melo will play solid D this season.

broncosfan4eva
06-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Rose won't be MVP because he's already taken that team to it's heights.
Look for Carmelo to have a big year in his 1st full season in NY - you know he wants to have a big year. Dare, I say it, Melo will play solid D this season.

Jinxed!

TheRunKiller
06-30-2011, 03:41 PM
^ lol at the Knicks homer. Knicks won't even have a good enough record for Melo to be in the MVP race.

Chacarron
06-30-2011, 03:44 PM
Dwight Howard.

RLundi
06-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Why are people like Evan Turner and Al Horford on the list but not Dwight Howard?

Ryan328
06-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Durant

BranWingss
06-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Vince Carter ;)

.. I've got Kevin Durant, though. I think it's his to lose.

thekmp211
06-30-2011, 06:58 PM
captain jack???!?! i like him on the bucks, he will make jennings a better player, but mvp buzz? he's probably not even the best player on his team, which has a lot to prove. i like the outside-the-box idea, but highly doubt it.

dwight and dirk are the odds-on favorites right now, with no storylines. they are lone superstars on elite teams, and have the narrative on their side. dirk just cemented himself as an all-time great with a ring, and has no one to share the spotlight with in dallas. dwight's supporting cast was badly exposed this year, and his dominant first round performances only drove home the fact that he is the lone weapon on that team. if orlando stays in the top half of the eastern conference standings, i think he will be very deserving.

i'd also agree that rose is out. back-to-back is rare, and his hype is finally at a level appropriate to how good he is. durant, kobe, lbj, wade are of course all in the conversation.

a couple different names: deron williams, blake griffin, monta ellis.

i think the clips, nets and warriors will all take a step forward this year, and these guys will get the appropriate buzz being their best players.

DoJoTheSlasher
06-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Rose, Howard/Dirk, Durant

In that order imo

So the guy who shoots 9.8% in the 4th quarter is gonna win back to back MVP's? Don't think so.

It's between Dwight Howard and Dirk Nowitzki.

justinnum1
06-30-2011, 08:09 PM
going out on a limb and saying wade.

Raph12
06-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Why is Dwight not on this poll or in the OP's first post?... Anyone who doesn't have the runnerup to MVP (should've won it) in the poll for next season's MVP, loses all credibility to begin with.

My Pick: Dwight Howard

ManRam
06-30-2011, 09:18 PM
The poll without Dwight is a joke. I can't add another choice since he used all 30 (yes, 30 choices but Dwight wasn't one of them). I might just make "other" be "Dwight"...

But he's gotta be #1 or #2 here. His team is set up perfectly for him to win. They underachieved last year. He carries them to a better record and he can more easily get it that guys like Rose (no room upwards team-wise), LeWade, Dirk, Durant etc...

No hate, it won't be Rose. Unless he proves to be the best player in the world and posts better stats than everyone else, his team is now considered good, and anything less that #1 or #2 in the East/NBA will be a regression.

Cano4prez
06-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Monta Ellis

DoMeFavors
06-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Weird names on this list like Turner

WorldWideJames
06-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Three guys it won't be:

1) Rose - He was already mistakenly given an MVP and then was demolished by two guys who should have won it over him (Wade/LBJ). He's the smallest part of a great defense, biggest part of a mediocre offense.
2) Wade - LBJ cannibalizes Wade's votes.
3) LBJ - Wade cannibalizes LBJ's votes.

It has got to be Durant this coming year. If Perkins can give OKC anything, Durant will put up a 30-8-5 on a 60 win team. Dwight can't win it because his team will be mediocre.

BillyHoyle35
06-30-2011, 10:58 PM
other is essentially barngani, since anyone but barngani covers everyone else, so he has 5 votes! :)

Bishnoff
06-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Derek Fisher.

As the President of the NBPA, he's going to have to produce magic for there to be a 2011-12 season.

KnicksR4Real
06-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Oh the Bulls fans

KnicksR4Real
06-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Dwight should be in this. IMO, he is the most valuable player.

Sadds The Gr8
06-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Evan Turner is on the poll and Howard isn't? fail.

Cubs Win
06-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Oh the Bulls fans

You can't hate on 13 people that picked this season's MVP when John Wall, Stephen Jackson, Yao Ming, Danny Granger, and Al Horford combined for 6 votes. Oh and Carmelo getting 6 votes by himself. :laugh2:

(All these numbers are the number of votes when I made this post)

Lake_Show2416
06-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Kobe

Delfiffer
06-30-2011, 11:30 PM
I think Durant has the best chances. The Thunder have increased by 5 wins from the last 2 seasons and I think they have easily win 60+ wins (if NO lockout) and possibly get the top seed in the west. If he leads the league in scoring again with better efficiencies than he may be the frontrunner. I could also see LeBron winning MVP, he can put up the best numbers across the board and if the Heat get the best record in the East (though he probably wont win it since he has Wade). Same with Amare and Melo- they have each other. Dirk, Kobe are declining and wont win another MVP. Rose wont win again (he didn't deserve it in 2011 and he wont rob someone else). Chris Paul is a possibility but his health is still in question and if he stays on NO, they may not even make the playoffs (if he leaves, he may have too much support to win it- another allstar). Same with Dwight, if he stays his team may not be as good for him to win but if he leaves, he may have another allstar.

Crackadalic
06-30-2011, 11:33 PM
I laugh so hard when i seen "Anybody other than Barngani"

Dwight is the "other" option for me
Durant
LBJ
Rose
Wade
Kobe

I voted for other(Dwight) because its a contract year so he is gonna be beasting even more

Kyben36
06-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Howard, or Durrant imo.

basketfan4life
07-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Kobe.

SportsFanatic10
07-01-2011, 02:25 AM
it'll be Ming for sure lol.

BSF101
07-01-2011, 02:34 AM
A lot of good guys, That are deserving. But I'm a Rondo fan so I went with him.

Chances are the top three will be like this.

1) Kobe, because he's Kobe ]

2) Lebron because lets face it, MVP is all he can win lol.

3) Griffin because he plays for that other LA team.

Gagan136
07-01-2011, 02:50 AM
I think Melo has a good chance to win in the next NBA season.

Gagan136
07-01-2011, 02:51 AM
Durant is my second pick.

Gagan136
07-01-2011, 02:51 AM
A lot of good guys, That are deserving. But I'm a Rondo fan so I went with him.

Chances are the top three will be like this.

1) Kobe, because he's Kobe ]

2) Lebron because lets face it, MVP is all he can win lol.

3) Griffin because he plays for that other LA team.

Lol at #2.

John Walls Era
07-01-2011, 02:55 AM
Dwight will get his first nba MVP. But I see Rose, Rondo and Blake Griffin in the race too. Also if the Kings are even at .500, expect Jimmer Fredette to get honorable mentions :facepalm: (he is the "Great White Hope", dubbed by ESPN :laugh:).

THE GIPPER
07-01-2011, 03:01 AM
Dwight cp3 if he changes teams/gets some help or griffin

smood999
07-01-2011, 03:06 AM
dwight howard will deserve it but will not win it because his team will not be good enough...think kobe the yr he dropped 81....

rose wont because he won it because of chicagos turn around

i think itll be between durant, melo and lebron

durant because the nba is just waiting for him to take it

lebron will have an extra chip on his shoulder

and for those who laugh at melo...think about this he's always a guy who puts up huge numbers and now he's in ny he'll be getting more attention...look at the mvp attention amare was getting first half of the season...if the knicks win 50 games melo will be up there for mvp...and someone said the knicks wouldnt have a good enough record..im willing to bet they finish top 4 in the east...if they win less than 50 the season would be a failure..what happens in the playoffs due to their lack of commitment on defense is different but this team will have success in the reg season

believeinNYK
07-01-2011, 03:21 AM
You forgot Dwight on the poll . . .
But anyways I'm goin with the homer pick and pickin melo if he can put up something like 25 5 and 5, and the Knicks have 50+ wins I think he'll definitely be a candidate

JasonJohnHorn
07-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Andrea Bargnani WNBA MVP

I think you offer Bargnani too much credit. Candice Parker would tear his @$$ up! And don't even get me started about Sue Bird!

JasonJohnHorn
07-01-2011, 08:02 AM
You forgot Dwight on the poll . . .
But anyways I'm goin with the homer pick and pickin melo if he can put up something like 25 5 and 5, and the Knicks have 50+ wins I think he'll definitely be a candidate

I did. I should be kicked off the forum for that exlucsion. I noticed as soon as I hit enter! I wish I could edit the pole :-(

MagicHero3
07-01-2011, 08:23 AM
wow...you dont put dwight on there? lmao you know ALOT about basketball dont u

PrettyBoyJ
07-01-2011, 01:47 PM
If magics have a 60 win season with Dwight posting similar numbers from last season then He's def. MVP

Delfiffer
07-01-2011, 05:53 PM
and for those who laugh at melo...think about this he's always a guy who puts up huge numbers and now he's in ny he'll be getting more attention...look at the mvp attention amare was getting first half of the season...if the knicks win 50 games melo will be up there for mvp...and someone said the knicks wouldnt have a good enough record..im willing to bet they finish top 4 in the east...if they win less than 50 the season would be a failure..what happens in the playoffs due to their lack of commitment on defense is different but this team will have success in the reg season

The Knicks my be better next season but Carmelo has Amare to lean on. Amare argurably puts up better numbers than Carmelo and is more efficient. Most likely, they may share votes unless one is much better than the other or an injury happens (but I dont see that happening- they are a duo)

brix23
07-01-2011, 06:08 PM

you're a homer dude. i love dirk, but you're a ****ing homer.