PDA

View Full Version : Why dont teams pay players mob-style...

310Casper
06-30-2011, 01:46 PM
I.e.

Why doesnt Miami contact Nene behind the scenes, tell him to take the MLE next season on paper, and then just pay him an extra 10-15 million/year into some offshore account.

Yes, it would be illegal. But with all the illegal activity that goes on in sports anyway, im surprised some teams dont do this already. A billionaire owner who really wants a championship team can pull this off. Have the best nba players in the league sign onto his team for cheap and then just pay them a lot more behind the scenes.

Sadds The Gr8
06-30-2011, 01:47 PM
lol

Hellcrooner
06-30-2011, 01:47 PM
ask kevin mchale, joe smith and the timberwolves about it.

lakers4sho
06-30-2011, 01:48 PM
How do you know they're not doing this already?

310Casper
06-30-2011, 01:51 PM
How do you know they're not doing this already?

I wouldnt be surprised. Pat Riley looks like a straight 50's mobster, slick hair, slick suits and all. That's probably how he got lebron,wade,bosh to all take paycuts on paper. All 3 of them are probably getting an extra 15mill per year/each in some offshore account.

PhillyFaninLA
06-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Prison for white collar fraud when million of dollars and the integrity of a billion dollar industry is at stake.

This is a federal crime that is why you don't do it.

smith&wesson
06-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Because when the player spends that money ppl willl start to wonder where he got it all from. for example if a player is only making 4 mill a year it will become suspect when he buys a home worth 4 mill and a couple of yats ... those dollars are being spent in the united states but they are not being taxed by the american government. surely ppl will start noticing when you spend more money then your supossedly making.

sixer04fan
06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
I remember hearing some talk last year about how if Lebron went to the Knicks for less money, Nike would increase his endorsement deal to pay him more because of his increased marketability in NY.

I don't think teams paying behind the scenes is realistic, but what about agents working with the companies that endorse the players to get them to go to teams that they want to go to?

310Casper
06-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Because when the player spends that money ppl willl start to wonder where he got it all from.

I doubt people will notice Lebron and Wade having an extra 30-40 million in 10 years, alongside their already hundreds of millions... lol. I guess this only works with top tier players making 20+ million salaries. PLus, these guys are already pulling in more money with endorsements, tmobile is giving Wade blank checks, Nike is giving Lebron the world.. I doubt anyone would notice them spending an extra 30-40 million in a few years.

As for smaller players having more millions in 10 years. They can always pull the art scam.
1) Become an "artist" and make your own paintings
2) Sell paintings to some "foreign buyer" (aka you) for some ridiculos amount
3) Collect money from "foreign buyer" (aka you).
4) Watch millions deposited into your bank account

Its basically a form of money laundering. Watch Shaq become a modern day picasso next year and all of a sudden be 500 million dollars richer after he sells his paitings to some anonymous "foreign billionaire" (aka behind the scenes deal between him and Jerry Buss 10 years ago)...

PhillyFaninLA
06-30-2011, 02:00 PM
I remember hearing some talk last year about how if Lebron went to the Knicks for less money, Nike would increase his endorsement deal to pay him more because of his increased marketability in NY.

I don't think teams paying behind the scenes is realistic, but what about agents working with the companies that endorse the players to get them to go to teams that they want to go to?

There is nothing illegal or unethical about the bolded as long as the teams and league are left out of it.

DLeeicious
06-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Well once this thread goes viral we will start seeing tons of minimum contracts doled out. Thanks for ruing the NBA with this thread OP I'm pretty sure this idea has never been thought of until now.

PistonsFan14
06-30-2011, 02:07 PM
I thought about this question myself a few years back.

But the consequences are serious. As some one said before you are looking at federal punishment.

There is possibly ways around it though.

I.E paying the endorser to increase the players earnings and essentially paying them through the endorser.

GREATNESS ONE
06-30-2011, 02:09 PM
I doubt people will notice Lebron and Wade having an extra 30-40 million in 10 years, alongside their already hundreds of millions... lol. I guess this only works with top tier players making 20+ million salaries. PLus, these guys are already pulling in more money with endorsements, tmobile is giving Wade blank checks, Nike is giving Lebron the world.. I doubt anyone would notice them spending an extra 30-40 million in a few years.

As for smaller players having more millions in 10 years. They can always pull the art scam.

Its basically a form of money laundering. Watch Shaq become a modern day picasso next year and all of a sudden be 500 million dollars richer after he sells his paitings to some anonymous "foreign billionaire" (aka behind the scenes deal between him and Jerry Buss 10 years ago)...

Dude you smoke the bomb Kush :smoking:

KnicksR4Real
06-30-2011, 02:15 PM
haha. thats so funny.

NYKalltheway
06-30-2011, 02:15 PM
There's a scandal that was published where I live about this.

A soccer player sued his former team for not paying him, they went to court.
Owner said presented a contract saying that he owed $100,000 before taxes and player presented a contract saying that he was owed $1,500,000 before taxes :D
Teams tend to do this to evade taxation, and I guess it happens all over the world. But Miami taxation is light so why would they do that? :p

smith&wesson
06-30-2011, 02:28 PM

remember, the government wants to tax you on every dollar you make. if all of a sudden you have millions more in spending money they will def notice.

Geargo Wallace
06-30-2011, 02:45 PM
has anyone here taken an accounting course?

maddBat
06-30-2011, 02:52 PM
i was thinking about something like this a couple weeks ago. well because im a nets fan w a billionaire owner. its def alot harder 2 do now than it was a decade or 2 ago. technology now can easily track down a huge movement of money esp if there is suspect activity around it. of course there r ways around it. but its tougher than u think. but if u get stern in on it. then ur golden.

John Walls Era
06-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Because its easy to find out.

hgtiger32
06-30-2011, 03:13 PM
i mean i'm sure it wouldn't look fishy at all if chris paul and dwight howard sign with the heat for only $4 million a year

Slug3
06-30-2011, 03:29 PM
I was wondering about a team like the Bobcats with Jordan as the owner. Lets say he was to sign Howard to a 5 million a year contract and then go and sign him to a 100 Million dollar shoe deal...... Is that legal?

KB24PG16
06-30-2011, 04:06 PM
I was wondering about a team like the Bobcats with Jordan as the owner. Lets say he was to sign Howard to a 5 million a year contract and then go and sign him to a 100 Million dollar shoe deal...... Is that legal?

thats an interesting idea

210Don
06-30-2011, 04:25 PM
yeah i think a guy like nene it would go unnoticed but not guys like cp3 & d12...

PhillyFaninLA
06-30-2011, 04:48 PM

If it was Reebok its fine if its Nike and someone can prove Jordan was behind the deal he'd find himself in front of a grand jury.

Also $100 million dollar shoe deal from a Nike or Reebok is not unusual for a player like Dwight, figure a $25 -$40 mil a year for 5 - 10 years would be common.

The trouble Jordan or any owner could get into would not be worth it, the league if they knew or suspected would be in quite a bit of trouble as well. The reward is not worth the risk.

Kashmir13579
06-30-2011, 05:30 PM
I think it already happens to a certain extent. maybe not in the range of 10-15 million.

ne3xchamps
06-30-2011, 05:53 PM
:laugh2: ok bud.