PDA

View Full Version : Hickson traded to Sac for Casspi+lotto protected pick

Devils05
06-30-2011, 01:22 PM
From Marc Stein's twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/STEIN_LINE_HQ/status/86479233123233792)

Just filed to ESPN.com: Cavaliers and Kings in advanced discussions on a J.J. Hickson-for-Omri Casspi deal. Link on the way

From ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6722764)

The Cleveland Cavaliers are in advanced discussions on a trade that would send power forward J.J. Hickson to the Sacramento Kings for swingman Omri Casspi, according to sources briefed on the talks.

It's believed that the teams must complete the deal Thursday before midnight to ensure its completion, with a lockout widely expected at 12:01 a.m. ET Friday, barring unforeseen progress in labor talks between the league and the NBA Players Association.

The Cavaliers have been shopping Hickson for some time and have decided to part with the young power forward in exchange for Casspi, who has been coveted for his combination of defense, energy and underrated perimeter shooting by numerous teams after two solid seasons with the Kings.

Astronaut
06-30-2011, 01:23 PM
sam_amick: Just spoke with Casspi, who says of playing w/ Cavs: "I'm happy. It's a great opportunity for me to play. They don't really have a 3-man."

-Sam Amick

@Probballdraft
@Cavs trade JJ Hickson to @Sacramentokings for Omri Casspi and a first round pick. Lottery protected for 2012. More info to come.
http://twitter.com/#!/Probballdraft/...83869657858048

#Cavs are trading J.J. Hickson to Kings for SF Omri Casspi, future 1st rd pick, per league sources. Story upcoming on Ohio.com less than a minute ago via web
ABJCavsInsider

Spoke w/ #Kings official who said teams haggled on 1st round pick. #Cavs wanted pick top 6 protected but settled on full lotto protection

Full Lotto protected.. Which means if the Kings don't make the playoffs, the Cavs get the pick in 2013 and so on.....

Can't say much about this deal, kind of pissed the pick was Lottery protected.. But we got a 3, and we got rid of J.J. :clap:
----

#BREAKINGNEWS More info from Hickson deal. 2012 - Full lottery protection. Protection slides each season. Pick is unprotected in '14 or '15

-Probballdraft

Punk
06-30-2011, 01:25 PM
The Kings are getting away with highway robbery.

BallIsAll
06-30-2011, 01:26 PM
wow cavs would be really dumb if this is true

RLundi
06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Not sure if this can be substantiated but if it is indeed true, it's just another puzzling move by Sacramento.

After trading their pick and drafting Fredette then trading Udrih for Salmons, the Kings are dangerously headed for David Kahn-head scratching territory.

smith&wesson
06-30-2011, 01:28 PM
the cavs get a first round pick and omri caspi ? this is a good trade for the cavs. a pick in next years draft will be valuable. and caspi is a young player that can contribute to the cavs core.

ULT WARRIOR408
06-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Good for the Kings.

Astronaut
06-30-2011, 01:29 PM
You guys don't understand how truly stupid J.J. Hickson is.

Also, J.J. wasn't going to net us a lottery, like MANY of you said before.

He also has NO offensive or defensive awareness, has Kwame Brown hands.. I'm happy.

TheHighLife
06-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Kings better not be giving up their first pick.

LTBaByyy
06-30-2011, 01:30 PM
This is a GREAT trade for the Cavs!!!!!!!!!!! Mainly because the 1st round pick

Irving
2012 Lottery pick in an AMAZING draft (Jeremy Lamb/Brad Beal)
2012 Lottery pick in an AMAZING draft (Harrison Barnes/James Macadoo/Perry Jones/Quincy Miller)
Thompson
Varajao

6th man: Casspi

I love it!!!!!!

Sadds The Gr8
06-30-2011, 01:31 PM
don't see how this is terrible for Cleveland...they just drafted a 4 and have Varejao. Fair for both teams.

BallIsAll
You guys don't understand how truly stupid J.J. Hickson is.

lol true maybe it devalues him

RLundi
They already have two good players at the PF spots in Cousins and Jason Thompson. I don't see how Hickson is gonna get any playing time.

Eagles4Lyfe
06-30-2011, 01:34 PM
great trade for cavs, hicksons not even that good. Sucks its protected so only way they get it is if kings make playoffs and i don't see that happening so a pick in 2013 is meh

BallIsAll
They already have two good players at the PF spots in Cousins and Jason Thompson. I don't see how Hickson is gonna get any playing time.

cousins is a center.

Sadds The Gr8
woah Kings 2012 first is in this?

LOL how are people saying this is terrible for Cleveland? Cleveland raped this trade

DoMeFavors
Why does everyone overate Casspi the guy sucks.
Cavs are going to be really bad this year.

Slimsim
06-30-2011, 01:35 PM
if it's a 2012 unprotected first round pick Cavs got away with murder

Agar81
06-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Hickson > Thompson. Thompson will be the 6th man.

John Walls Era
06-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Great trade. JJ Hickson is a high motor guy, but he was pretty overrated 2 years ago. Now they get the Kings first and now have 2 chances to win the lottery next year.

Astronaut
06-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Any Kings fans have any views of Omri, good or bad?

CTown81
06-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Good trade for Cavs.

Hickson could dunk the ball when he caught the pass which was only about 60% of the time. He had some nice stat games on a really bad team last year. Wish him well though. He could develop into a rotational guy on a good team.

1st Rd pick will be lotto protected so hopefully the Kings make the playoffs somehow in the west so that the cavs can have two 1st round picks in a deep 2012 draft. Either way a good piece to have as whenever the Kings make the playoffs it will probably be as a lower seed so the pick will still hold some value as a mid 1st rd selection.

Adding Casspi will help fill the MASSIVE void at SF for Cle. Now we just need to deal Sessions or Gibson after the lockout and Jamison at the deadline (if those types of deals still happen with the new CBA) and we will be on a good rebuild path.

I also wouldnt be surprised to us trade Andy if he comes back and plays well to start the season. Love him but he would help a contender and he wont be in his prime when Cavs are good again. Might as well stockpile assets...

Crackadalic
06-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Good trade for the cavs.

Hugbees
06-30-2011, 01:41 PM
How is this a bad trade for the Cavs? Especially if the first round pick is unprotected or top 2. You guys are insane..

Hawkeye15
06-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Not sure if this can be substantiated but if it is indeed true, it's just another puzzling move by Sacramento.

After trading their pick and drafting Fredette then trading Udrih for Salmons, the Kings are dangerously headed for David Kahn-head scratching territory.

Khan wins nearly every trade he makes. Dude just hasn't been able to show the ability to draft yet. Hopefully Rubio/Williams change that

rhino17
06-30-2011, 01:42 PM
JJ Hickson sucks, I dont understand people's obsession with him

Cavs win this one

Geargo Wallace
06-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Yay TT will start at the 4!

Hawkeye15
06-30-2011, 01:44 PM
The Cavs are obviously trying to make room for TT, but I am not sure they should have accepted the pick being lottery protected for more than a season. Sac doesn't appear to be a playoff team anytime soon.

Hickson is way better than Casspi, so I am not sure why the Cavs are making this trade. Sac wins this trade imo.

Hawkeye15
06-30-2011, 01:45 PM
I will say, Hickson's value has continued to drop for more than a year now. So with TT being drafted, the Cavs may have figured roll the dice now, and get a pick a few years down the line

Slimsim
06-30-2011, 01:48 PM
The Cavs are obviously trying to make room for TT, but I am not sure they should have accepted the pick being lottery protected for more than a season. Sac doesn't appear to be a playoff team anytime soon.

Hickson is way better than Casspi, so I am not sure why the Cavs are making this trade. Sac wins this trade imo.

If it is protected then yea Bad move by the cavs. If not then this was a good deal for the cavs.

smith&wesson
06-30-2011, 01:49 PM
I will say, Hickson's value has continued to drop for more than a year now. So with TT being drafted, the Cavs may have figured roll the dice now, and get a pick a few years down the line

while adding a young piece who can fill a need for them at the 3.

AddiX
06-30-2011, 01:50 PM
I never believed the hype in jj.

But I thought having jj and tristan was good depth for them. You can let the battle it out, they both get better and yiunstill have the depth.

Didn't see the need to trade him. Can never go wrong with depth up front.

BradytoGronkTD
06-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Lol, I remember when the cavs wouldn't trade hickson for amare, when they were trying to convince Lebron to stay

KnicksR4Real
06-30-2011, 01:52 PM
cavs could get more

Astronaut
06-30-2011, 01:53 PM
I believe the picks like this:

This year:
Full Protected

Next year:
Top 6 Protected

Year after:
Unprotected

believeinNYK
06-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Ok trade for both teams, cavs won't be getting that pick for a few years

RLundi
06-30-2011, 01:55 PM
I believe the picks like this:

This year:
Full Protected

Next year:
Top 6 Protected

Year after:
Unprotected

If this is the case, then this just reaffirms the notion that the Cavs got the better end of the deal.

Sactown
06-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Casspi has terrible hands lol!!! :clap:

Jetsguy
06-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Man the Cavs could have had Stat for JJ at one point and now Casspi.

Still with the 1st Cavs win this trade but it is decent for both sides

Carey
06-30-2011, 01:58 PM
I like Casspi for Cleveland, he's a wing guy who can defend, plays with energy and can hit open shots. He doesnt suck, he's a role player.

Sactown
06-30-2011, 02:00 PM
I like Casspi for Cleveland, he's a wing guy who can defend, plays with energy and can hit open shots. He doesnt suck, he's a role player. Who?:eyebrow:

Astronaut
06-30-2011, 02:01 PM
#BREAKINGNEWS More info from Hickson deal. 2012 - Full lottery protection. Protection slides each season. Pick is unprotected in '14 or '15

probballdraft

MagicBucsSox
06-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Lolololololol they wouldn't trade him for amare but a yr later for this guy? No wonder Bron left

LTBaByyy
06-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Irving
Lamb?
Barnes?
Thompson
Varajao

The Future :speechless:

NYKnickFanatic
06-30-2011, 02:02 PM

Exactly. I think a lot of people dont get that the pick is protected, so its basically Hickson for Casspi, cuz we all know the Kings arent making the playoffs (NO DISRESPECT!).

Astronaut
06-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Lolololololol they wouldn't trade him for amare but a yr later for this guy? No wonder Bron left

I'm not even going to give my opinion on this.

You are an idiot, do some more research.

blastmasta26
06-30-2011, 02:03 PM
The Cavs free up space for Tristan Thompson and get a SF plus a future first. The Kings acquire a PF to add depth. The Kings win the trade talent wise but the Cavs win in terms of fit I guess. The draft pick is really what makes the difference, no way the Kings make the playoffs in the West next season, so that pick will be 2013 at the earliest.

NYKnickFanatic
06-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Irving
Lamb?
Barnes?
Thompson
Varajao

The Future :speechless:

Easy buddy.

Astronaut
06-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Exactly. I think a lot of people dont get that the pick is protected, so its basically Hickson for Casspi, cuz we all know the Kings arent making the playoffs (NO DISRESPECT!).

Its only playoff protected for this season. The seasons after that, it becomes lesser and lesser protected.

The Kings aren't making the playoffs this season I hope.

DerekRE_3
06-30-2011, 02:05 PM

You obviously know nothing about the Kings then. They used Udrih to get a starting quality SF who can hit open 3's, defend, and handle the ball a bit. Udrih is a solid player, but can't play defense. The kings had zero consistency at the 3 spot last season. Now they have two vets, Francisco Garcia and John Salmons, at the 3 spot.

Casspi isn't that good. Bad defender, and can only spot up from three on offense. He can't create for himself and has no in between game whatsoever.

Now, even if the Kings lose Dalembert in free agency, they still have Cousins/Thompson/Hickson/Whiteside at the 4 and 5 spots. They will have Reke/Thornton/Jimmer at the guard spots. They still have a lot of money to spend in free agency. They have about 32 mil in committed salary.

Turtle55
06-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Love this deal for the Kings. Get a guy who put up 16 and 10 after the break last year for a backup SF that was unhappy about being in Sac.

Sactown
06-30-2011, 02:10 PM
You obviously know nothing about the Kings then. They used Udrih to get a starting quality SF who can hit open 3's, defend, and handle the ball a bit. Udrih is a solid player, but can't play defense. The kings had zero consistency at the 3 spot last season. Now they have two vets, Francisco Garcia and John Salmons, at the 3 spot.

Casspi isn't that good. Bad defender, and can only spot up from three on offense. He can't create for himself and has no in between game whatsoever.

Now, even if the Kings lose Dalembert in free agency, they still have Cousins/Thompson/Hickson/Whiteside at the 4 and 5 spots. They will have Reke/Thornton/Jimmer at the guard spots. They still have a lot of money to spend in free agency. They only have about 30 mil in committed salary. They

Finally someone understands that Casspi isn't a good defender lol playing with high energy is great, but it doesn't make you good at defense:facepalm: And people are underestimating the Kings.. watch out western conference because here we come!! :clap::clap:

reffahead
06-30-2011, 02:11 PM
The Kings won't be making the playoffs and the 2013 first rounder should be another strong draft.

itsripcity32
06-30-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm not even going to give my opinion on this.

You are an idiot, do some more research.

a cavs fan w 243 posts and an irving sig?

cardinals1226
06-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Hickson for Casspi and a 2014 first round pick. Nice job Cavs. You declined to trade Hickson for Amare and trade him for Casspi. Steal of a lifetime. :rolleyes:

JasonJohnHorn
06-30-2011, 02:15 PM
I think Hickson has got some game. Omri? I'm not sure.
But seriously, I've been wrong. And the fact that so few teams seemed interested in Hickson, and the fact that Cleveland is shopping him seems to suggest something to me. So perhaps this is worth the risk involved. I have heard (though not seen) that Omri is a good defender, and his three-point shooting is not so turrible.

I was hoping that the Cavs would be able to package up Davis with Hickson and get somebody to bite on that, maybe bring in a high draft pick or a SG, but, we'll see how it turns out of this trade goes through.

Neither team seems to stand to lose or gain much, though if you gave me my choice of the two players I'd like pick Hickson since he posted a double-double season in his 36per stats. A guy that can get you a double-double is something worth having in this league, but at what cost? I havent seen enough of either player? How do they match-up defensively? That would be my biggest question. I'd take a guy who can defend and hit a three over a guy that can get a double-double but lets opposing PFs score at will. I havent seen enough of the two players to really make a fair comment, but it seems to me, on paper at least, that the Cavs giving up more than they ought to.

Snowman23
06-30-2011, 02:17 PM
good trade for both teams imo

rhaas74
06-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Lol, I remember when the cavs wouldn't trade hickson for amare, when they were trying to convince Lebron to stay

Nevermind the fact that it was a 1 year rental of Amare because he wasn't signing a deal with us. That is the entire reason we didn't trade him. If Amare would have extended his deal the trade would have been done in a heartbeat.

I guess that smart teams are suppose to trade away their biggest asset for one year and ruin their future. The Cavs are so stupid for not getting Amare, I mean we would have been a dynasty for....1 year.

FriedTofuz
06-30-2011, 02:19 PM
-Sam Amick

http://twitter.com/#!/Probballdraft/...83869657858048

ABJCavsInsider

Full Lotto protected.. Which means if the Kings don't make the playoffs, the Cavs get the pick in 2013 and so on.....

Can't say much about this deal, kind of pissed the pick was Lottery protected.. But we got a 3, and we got rid of J.J. :clap:
----

-Probballdraft

Who exactly is we? this is the nba forum. The cavs were lucky enough to even get a conditional first round pick. A Hickson for Caspi swap was more than fair in my opinion. Cavs got a good deal.

rhaas74
06-30-2011, 02:21 PM
a cavs fan w 243 posts and an irving sig?

What does that have anything to do with? He has been a contributor in the Cavs forum since joining. Just because he doesn't typically post elsewhere doesn't discredit him.

Should I look at you differently since you have a Brandon Knight sig?

roshan3ai
06-30-2011, 02:21 PM

Irving
2012 Lottery pick in an AMAZING draft (Harrison Barnes/James Macadoo/Perry Jones/Quincy Miller)
Thompson
Varajao

I love it!!!!!!

:laugh: I'm guessing you're not much of a reader?

KB24PG16
06-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Protection specifics on pick going from Kings to Cavs: Protected 1-to-14 in 2012, 1-to-13 in 2013, 1-to-12 in 2014, 1-to-10 from 2015-2017. If first-round pick is not conveyed from SAC to CLE by 2017, then Kings convey their 2017 second-rounder to Cavaliers (protected 56-60)

http://twitter.com/#!/STEIN_LINE_HQ

Kings were smart in this trade they didnt want to be like the clippers good for them :clap:

GoPacers33
06-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Hmmm

philab
06-30-2011, 02:24 PM
JJ was going to want bank after this year. Casspi is solid and a wing, which the Cavs need desperately right now. The pick will be mid-teens somewhere along the line.

All in all, a decent trade for Cleveland. Hickson maybe could have netted more, but not bad anyway.

the_jon
06-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Casspi has good upside, nice one Cleveland.

phoenix_bladen
06-30-2011, 02:30 PM

LOL how are people saying this is terrible for Cleveland? Cleveland raped this trade

it's lottery protected

haha but the next so called amare stoudamire got traded :p

phoenix_bladen
06-30-2011, 02:30 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/STEIN_LINE_HQ

Kings were smart in this trade they didnt want to be like the clippers good for them :clap:

yea it's not a bad trade for the kings

i'm sure they'll make the playoffs by 2017.......hahah

ABOMB_56
06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
KB beat me to the punch, but like he posted, the best pick the Cavs can get is #11 in 4 years. The Kings win this deal quite easily. A Hickson-DMC frontcourt is a promising one for the future

tyfreaks brotha
06-30-2011, 02:33 PM

It's lotto protected so were keepin it....

Great trade for the Kings we gave up nothing to upgrade our bench. Good job pietrie :clap:

thedfactor
06-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Solid deal for the Cavs. Kings' 1st will be a lottery pick down the line for sure and Casspi is a good SF and hard working player who's still young

allSUAVE
06-30-2011, 02:38 PM
If the Pick is unprotected then Cavs won the trade ..but WOW the King is building something solid here...I think they could make the playoffs bad news for the Clippers because Kings and Memphis is makin the playoffs next season

allSUAVE
06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
I like Sacramento's lineup of The Jimmer lol, Tyreke Evans, John Salmons, J.J. Hickson and DeMarcus Cousins.

tyfreaks brotha
06-30-2011, 02:43 PM
I like Sacramento's lineup of The Jimmer lol, Tyreke Evans, John Salmons, J.J. Hickson and DeMarcus Cousins.

Dear god I hope thats noy our lineup. Were gonna have Thornton in there to.. And prolly JT starting over him if we dont get Dally back

Astronaut
06-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Once again, i've said this numerous times.. Also, look it up.

Kerr was the one who pulled the Amar'e deal off the table, not us. It happened the year before at the deadline with Shaq.. Jamison was our fallback, it was potentially a championship year and we weren't going to come out of the deadline dry again. I've seriously repeated this about 5 times.

It seemed for days that a trade was imminent, with the Cleveland Cavaliers the most likely suitor. Even Stoudemire believed he would be traded. But when the Suns decided that J.J. Hickson, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and a draft pick from a contender wasn’t enough for their top scorer and the West’s starting center in last week’s All-Star Game, they turned the Cavaliers down. The Cavs got their man anyway in Wizards forward Antawn Jamison.

Read more: http://valleyofthesuns.com/2010/02/18/amare-stoudemire-remains-with-suns/#ixzz1Qmowbimf

NYtilIdie
06-30-2011, 02:44 PM
The Kings have a good foundation right now.

C: Cousins
PF: Hickson
SF: Salmons
SG: Evans
PG: Thorton

6th: Jimmer?

Talent-wise they could sneek in the playoffs if the team can click. Casspi was a one-dimensional player anyway, horrible defender, couldn't catch the ball, had a terrible year shooting wise at times couldn't even get off the bench.

NYtilIdie
06-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Once again, i've said this numerous times.. Also, look it up.

Kerr was the one who pulled the Amar'e deal off the table, not us. It happened the year before at the deadline with Shaq.. Jamison was our fallback, it was a championship year and we weren't going to come out of the deadline dry again.

You don't make a trade just to do so! It was horrible trade for a washed up Jamison.

MagicBucsSox
06-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Um no^^ , amare didn't want to sign an ext in Cleveland so the deal broke off because Gilbert didn't wanna give up hickson for nothing(which he just did) I will pull out the article bro

I remember Barkley crying laughing at that too

HT9Canada
06-30-2011, 02:48 PM
The Kings have a good foundation right now.

C: Cousins
PF: Hickson
SF: Salmons
SG: Evans
PG: Felton

6th: Thorton

Talent-wise they could sneek in the playoffs if the team can click. Casspi was a one-dimensional player anyway, horrible defender, couldn't catch the ball, had a terrible year shooting wise at times couldn't even get off the bench.

??? Ray Felton from Portlands brother or something?

NYtilIdie
06-30-2011, 02:49 PM
??? Ray Felton from Portlands brother or something?

Your right lol, my bad I just remember the Sactown/Denver rumors before the draft.

raidersrock99
06-30-2011, 02:50 PM
casspi isnt that good he can hit threes when you dont need them, but cold when you do..its a protected 1st so dont act like they have two lottery picks, plus the kings have a solid team now so they may compete for the 8th seed.

evans/jimmer
thorton
salmons/garcia
hickson/thompson
cousins

we have some depth now solid for both teams

Astronaut
06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Who exactly is we? this is the nba forum. The cavs were lucky enough to even get a conditional first round pick. A Hickson for Caspi swap was more than fair in my opinion. Cavs got a good deal.

I'm a Cavs fan? So I was referring to our team as "we." I'm sorry if you have a problem with that.

Antipod
06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
and just 1 year or so ago, they didn`t want to include JJ in a package for Amare ... :facepalm:

Astronaut
06-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Um no^^ , amare didn't want to sign an ext in Cleveland so the deal broke off because Gilbert didn't wanna give up hickson for nothing(which he just did) I will pull out the article bro

I remember Barkley crying laughing at that too

It seemed for days that a trade was imminent, with the Cleveland Cavaliers the most likely suitor. Even Stoudemire believed he would be traded. But when the Suns decided that J.J. Hickson, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and a draft pick from a contender wasn’t enough for their top scorer and the West’s starting center in last week’s All-Star Game, they turned the Cavaliers down. The Cavs got their man anyway in Wizards forward Antawn Jamison.

Read more: http://valleyofthesuns.com/2010/02/18/amare-stoudemire-remains-with-suns/#ixzz1Qmowbimf

Gilbert's not our GM, he doesn't make the moves.

Pull out the article. Prove me wrong... Because i've only seen from people on forums saying that the Cavaliers wouldn't trade J.J. for Amar'e.. Not actual sportswriters.

You don't make a trade just to do so! It was horrible trade for a washed up Jamison.

How is trading Z/a pick for Antawn Jamison, then getting him back a bad deal... we weren't going to be building through the draft at that point. You completely evaded the point of the post, then changed the subject.....

NYtilIdie
06-30-2011, 02:55 PM
So does Evans play PG or no? I've heard some King fans say he can, but isn't a great playmaker.

FriedTofuz
06-30-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm a Cavs fan? So I was referring to our team as "we." I'm sorry if you have a problem with that.

No problem, I have no problem of what team you soupport. :confused:
Its just biased to talk from only your own teams perspective when your sharing your thoughts with the nba forum.

Astronaut
06-30-2011, 02:59 PM
No problem, I have no problem of what team you soupport. :confused:
Its just biased to talk from only your own teams perspective.

Nah I meant by that post that some people have a problem with referring to the team you root for as "we."

But okay, I get what you're saying.

Gram
06-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Cleveland only did it for the pick.

RLundi
06-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Now, even if the Kings lose Dalembert in free agency, they still have Cousins/Thompson/Hickson/Whiteside at the 4 and 5 spots. They will have Reke/Thornton/Jimmer at the guard spots. They still have a lot of money to spend in free agency. They have about 32 mil in committed salary.

And you obviously know nothing about John Salmons. You think Salmons is going to be the same player he was when he was on the Kings- dream on. He's completely regressed. You think he's gonna be able to hit open jumpers- he shot 40% from the field last season. And you think he's gonna handle the ball- you're fooling yourself if you think he'll be able to pry it away from Tyreke Evans. At least Salmons is a good defender, I'll give you that, but it won't even matter- he'll play for Paul Westphal, who isn't exactly a defense guru and has one of the worst defenses in the league.

The Kings just gave up a quality point guard and that wouldn't be such a bad thing if they had one to replace him with. Tyreke Evans is NOT a point guard and neither are Fredette or Thornton. They would've been better off trading Garcia since he plays the same position as Evans.

Hickson put up decent numbers on the worst team in the NBA as the number two option. Let's see how good he'll be in a backup role for 15 minutes a night. In a couple seasons when the protection wears off (if the rumors are true) and if Hickson doesn't pan out, the Kings just gave away an unprotected lottery pick for next to nothing.

I didn't say they were bad moves, I just said questionable.

NYtilIdie
06-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Gilbert's not our GM, he doesn't make the moves.

Pull out the article. Prove me wrong... Because i've only seen from people on forums saying that the Cavaliers wouldn't trade J.J. for Amar'e.. Not actual sportswriters.

How is trading Z/a pick for Antawn Jamison, then getting him back a bad deal... we weren't going to be building through the draft at that point. You completely evaded the point of the post, then changed the subject.....

Lets see you trade one old body for another and then resign that same old body again. You just got older and slower in the trade and caused chemistry problems because they forced Jamison and Lebron to click, which never happened. You also put yourself in deeper cap hell with the move, its look good now because its an expiring though.

DerekRE_3
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
KB beat me to the punch, but like he posted, the best pick the Cavs can get is #11 in 4 years. The Kings win this deal quite easily. A Hickson-DMC frontcourt is a promising one for the future

They also have Jason Thompson and Hassan Whiteside.

Kings have a decently deep team with over 20 mil to spend:
Guards
Tyreke Evans
Marcus Thornton
Jimmer Fredette
Isaiah Thomas

Small Forwards
John Salmons
Francisco Garcia (can also play SG)
Donte Greene
Tyler Honeycutt

Big Guys
DeMarcus Cousins
Jason Thompson
JJ Hickson
Hassan Whiteside

Arch Stanton
06-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Don't forget J.J.'s contract is up next year. And I don't think he would've resigned with the Cavs nor do I think that the Cav's would've paid him 10 million a year. So at least they got something out of it. And I'll take a 2014 unprotected.

AMC31
If anyone thinks JJ Hickson is such a great scorer because he averaged around 19 ppg, you did not watch any Cavs games. All of his points were lucky open dunks, no post skill in his game at all.

Astronaut
Lets see you trade one old body for another and then resign that same old body again. You just got older and slower in the trade and caused chemistry problems because they forced Jamison and Lebron to click, which never happened. You also put yourself in deeper cap hell with the move, its look good now because its an expiring though.

In hindsight you can say that didn't happen, but who knew when the trade was about to go down.

Over half of our players are out of their contracts now, Z was an expiring, we were in cap hell before the trade, Jamison's contract ended when pretty much everyone else's did. so we are about to get even younger. We didn't exactly get older since we traded an old guy for an old guy/european stash 2nd that had never played for us.

If anyone thinks JJ Hickson is such a great scorer because he averaged around 19 ppg, you did not watch any Cavs games. All of his points were lucky open dunks, no post skill in his game at all.

^ Someone had to score on that team.

DamnGoat
Not sure what the Kings are thinking here? Great move by the Cavs though. That pick could turn into something pretty nice once it becomes unprotected and to get that for JJ Hickson is impressive.

It's very similar to what the Bulls did when they dealt Tyrus Thomas to Charlotte. Just hang onto that pick and it will hold some serious value down the road.

AMC31
06-30-2011, 03:08 PM
In hindsight you can say that didn't happen, but who knew when the trade was about to go down.

Over half of our players are out of their contracts now, Z was an expiring, we were in cap hell before the trade, Jamison's contract ended when pretty much everyone else's did. so we are about to get even younger. We didn't exactly get older since we traded an old guy for an old guy/european stash 2nd that had never played for us.

^ Someone had to score on that team.

Exactly.

Clutch1
06-30-2011, 03:13 PM

Irving
Thompson
Varajao

I love it!!!!!!

U clearly dont know what "lottery protected" means

justinnum1
06-30-2011, 03:14 PM
this makes way for sammy d to come to miami

DerekRE_3
And you obviously know nothing about John Salmons. You think Salmons is going to be the same player he was when he was on the Kings- dream on. He's completely regressed. You think he's gonna be able to hit open jumpers- he shot 40% from the field last season. And you think he's gonna handle the ball- you're fooling yourself if you think he'll be able to pry it away from Tyreke Evans. At least Salmons is a good defender, I'll give you that, but it won't even matter- he'll play for Paul Westphal, who isn't exactly a defense guru and has one of the worst defenses in the league.

The Kings just gave up a quality point guard and that wouldn't be such a bad thing if they had one to replace him with. Tyreke Evans is NOT a point guard and neither are Fredette or Thornton. They would've been better off trading Garcia since he plays the same position as Evans.

Hickson put up decent numbers on the worst team in the NBA as the number two option. Let's see how good he'll be in a backup role for 15 minutes a night. In a couple seasons when the protection wears off (if the rumors are true) and if Hickson doesn't pan out, the Kings just gave away an unprotected lottery pick for next to nothing.

I didn't say they were bad moves, I just said questionable.

Man I don't even know where to start. I wish I wasn't at work on my phone.

chisox721
The Kings better hope Jimmer shoots the lights out this year, because they have no outside threats besides him and piece of trash Salmons.

Casspi never missed in 2k11. I may have to find a new team.

FriedTofuz
06-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Appreciate the news, it was already posted.

nykobe24
06-30-2011, 03:19 PM
so it's a protected lottery pick right? what if the kings keep getting a lottery pick each year, what will happen then?

raidersrock99
06-30-2011, 03:19 PM
deal done already posted

DerekRE_3
06-30-2011, 03:21 PM
The Kings better hope Jimmer shoots the lights out this year, because they have no outside threats besides him and piece of trash Salmons.

Marcus Thornton
Francisco Garcia

chisox721
06-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Marcus Thornton
Francisco Garcia
Garcia is trash, Thornton is solid.

RLundi
06-30-2011, 03:28 PM
so it's a protected lottery pick right? what if the kings keep getting a lottery pick each year, what will happen then?

It's at least top 10 protected until 2017.

DerekRE_3
06-30-2011, 03:44 PM

If they dot get the pick by 2017, it turns into a 2nd rounder.

OUbigdaddy
06-30-2011, 03:52 PM
It's lotto protected so were keepin it....

Great trade for the Kings we gave up nothing to upgrade our bench. Good job pietrie :clap:

Have you see Hickson Play??? There is a reason he was on the trade market and that this was the best deal they got for him. If I remember correctly He was benched during the playoff's a couple of years ago. The way I see it If Caspri stinks like you said then basically the Cav's get a first round pick and the kings still stink...LMAO and by the way I'm not a Cav's fan, but a Mav's fan and the Kings won't being doing anything special but relocating for several year's.

Tony_Starks
06-30-2011, 03:53 PM
Sacramento Kings= Kings of the marginal trade/signings.

Now all they have to do is go out and sign somebody like Rodney Stuckey and they can officially keep the legacy of mediocrity going.....

DerekRE_3
06-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Sacramento Kings= Kings of the marginal trade/signings.

Now all they have to do is go out and sign somebody like Rodney Stuckey and they can officially keep the legacy of mediocrity going.....

The only way they can make a big trade is trading Reke or Cousins, which they don't want to do. As far as free agency goes, they are a rebuilding small market team. They aren't going to sign stars. They have to build through the draft.

And trading Carl Landry for Marcus Thornton wasnt marginal, that was a steal. Thornton averaged 21 5 and 4 with the Kings in only his 2nd season.

nimazahir
06-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Good trade for the kings b/c their pick is protected, i think it is protected 1-10 in 2013 to or 1-12. But this clears room for thompson to develop.

The kings now have a very good pf rotation of thompson and hickson.
Then at center they have cousins, but they need a back up.

OUbigdaddy
06-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Good trade for the kings b/c their pick is protected, i think it is protected 1-10 in 2013 to or 1-12. But this clears room for thompson to develop.

The kings now have a very good pf rotation of thompson and hickson.
Then at center they have cousins, but they need a back up.

All Hickson can do is dunk. I watched the Cav"s alot and he has no low post game what so ever. Again I think this is a good trade for the Cav's. They get the log jam at power forward resolved and a pick.

JWO35
06-30-2011, 04:24 PM
So the Cavs get Omar Casspi & a 2036 1st round pick?

FairWeatherFan?
06-30-2011, 04:24 PM
I say this trade is a draw. Both players show promise, but have major flaws. Hickson and the cavs were going to part after this season anways.

If the kings are going to run a slowed down half court set, Hickson will be terrible. If they play run and gun, he may be something special. Either way, his defense will be terrible.

I hate the reported protection on the pick, but atleast it is another mediocre asset to add to the rebuild.

truplayer199
06-30-2011, 04:28 PM
How is this a good trade for the Cavs? The 2012 pick is lottery protected and i dont see the Kings making the playoffs anytime soon. Casspi is thrash.

DerekRE_3
06-30-2011, 04:38 PM
So the Cavs get Omar Casspi & a 2036 1st round pick?

No, they get OMRI Casspi, and at worst, they would get a 2018 2nd round pick.

central2003
06-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Hahahaha funny how a detroit fan comes and bashes the kings by saying a 2036 pick. Well everyone knows The Sac Kings have more talent on their roster than Detroit does. We have 2 franchise players Evans and Cousins who will be Stars Barring injury and maybe even a 3rd star in Jimmer.

Tony_Starks
06-30-2011, 04:42 PM
The only way they can make a big trade is trading Reke or Cousins, which they don't want to do. As far as free agency goes, they are a rebuilding small market team. They aren't going to sign stars. They have to build through the draft.

And trading Carl Landry for Marcus Thornton wasnt marginal, that was a steal. Thornton averaged 21 5 and 4 with the Kings in only his 2nd season.

When you have the kind of money they've had for the last few years, you can get a star. Maybe not a Superstar but definitely an allstar. You think David West would turn down a fat paycheck from them? Or Nene? Or even a good six man like Crawford?

Good players are out there, they've just been reluctant to make the moves....

central2003
06-30-2011, 04:44 PM
I would really love to see the Kings go after Gasol. A front court of Gasol and Cousins will great for Years to come.

Jewelz0376
06-30-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm sure this has already been mentioned but...

Anyone else find it funny that the cavs refused to trade Hickson to get Amare, which possibly could've helped them keep Lebron also....and now they are trading him for Cassipi and a protected 1st?? lol

Lucky Junior
06-30-2011, 04:47 PM
I don't know whether it's the owner, or the GM... but Cleveland's decision makers are byond dumb!!! I've been saying that for years they were going to run the franchise into the ground, and I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

They had a chance to land Amare Stoudmire if they'd of included JJ Hickson and been willing to spend an extra 5 mil a year. (Keep in mind Gibson is making $4 mil per)... instead they went and got a guy who has the same amount of injury problems, with none of the top 5 PF talent of Amare. Now they give away that guy who was too good to include for a back-up SF and a pick that should end up in the 20s? Couldn't they have just paid a little extra money and signed Thadeous Young?

Maybe I'm bias, but if I was the Cavs GM I'd trade out all of those bloated contracts like Varejao's (if possible) and go after JR Smith, Greg Oden, and Thad Young hard!!!

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Cavs rape

Lucky Junior
06-30-2011, 05:01 PM

Mainly because the pick is fully protected, and Casspi doesn't have the greatest upside. So, they basically traded for what will end up (most likely) being two backups for their starting PF. Not horrible in itself, but when you add, that they (and the whole league) valued Hickson as much more just a year ago, it makes this a horrible deal for them.

On the other hand, the Kings made out in this deal. They now have a young, cheap, and solid 3 man rotation at PF/C... and all they had to give up was someone who wasn't gonna see the floor now that Salmons is projected to start the 3.

tyfreaks brotha
06-30-2011, 05:05 PM

Thornton........... Nuffb said

they get 2017th second

tyfreaks brotha
06-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Nah, I think the Kings have a nice future....in Anaheim.

I also think Detriot has a nice future..... In the lotto

itsripcity32
06-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Good for Anaheim kings

DerekRE_3
06-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Casspi at best would have been 3rd string at the 3 spot, maybe 4th string. It's also so funny how few people know about how the future 1st in the trade is protected. It's literally impossible for the Cavs to ever get a top 10 pick out of the trade.

h2r09
06-30-2011, 06:30 PM
just an awful trade for the cavs. there is a reason they are so awful and could never put a quality team around lebron. hickson was one of the major roadblocks to getting stoudemire last year, and now they get him for an average sf and a pick they will never get or it wont be in the lottery.

97NYer
06-30-2011, 06:38 PM
they could have traded Hickson for Amar'e......now they have Omri Casspi

CityofTreez
06-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Cavs rape

They got a streaky 3-pt shooter off the Bench who cannot play a full season because of fatigue! How is that Rape?

Meanwhile, we got a starting PF.

thekmp211
06-30-2011, 06:43 PM
i can see where sacramento is coming from moving a draft pick for a veteran, but with a strong draft coming up i have to think they could have done better than hickson. i guess it all depends on how good you think he is.

hickson will be a nice addition to the front court rotation in sacramento, but there are some really talented big men coming through the pipe-line. meanwhile, tristan thompson made hickson expendable, and i think casspi will have a mini break-out year on a team that will certainly give him minutes.

cavs definitely win, sacramentos grade will take a while to calculate. but it doesn't look good.

Gibby23
06-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Good deal for the Kings. Casspi was on the outs anyways. Kings get more balance with an athletic PF to put next to DMac, got a good pair of SF's in Garcia, Salmons and Green and have some nice young guards.

Arch Stanton
06-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Well hopefully the Kings will be an 8th seed next year so the Cavs can get an additional first round pick. With the lockout coming and a lack of any sort of season I don't see the Cavs getting an additional first rounder until 2014 or 2015.

The 916 Guy
06-30-2011, 06:52 PM
i can see where sacramento is coming from moving a draft pick for a veteran, but with a strong draft coming up i have to think they could have done better than hickson. i guess it all depends on how good you think he is.

hickson will be a nice addition to the front court rotation in sacramento, but there are some really talented big men coming through the pipe-line. meanwhile, tristan thompson made hickson expendable, and i think casspi will have a mini break-out year on a team that will certainly give him minutes.

cavs definitely win, sacramentos grade will take a while to calculate. but it doesn't look good.

You do understand that the draft pick is heavily protected, right? Unless we do great this year, we'll have a draft pick next year.

Dash
06-30-2011, 07:01 PM
It sucks cause a few years ago they could have got a superstar for Hickson and fillers, that's why I hate when people over rate players after a year

Bishnoff
06-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Why are the Kings trading for another PF???

Witness06
06-30-2011, 07:15 PM
I think both teams traded players who havent reached their peak. JJ had issues with B. Scott, and maybe just needed a change. JJ's value was slipping and his attitude maybe not the best for a young team. Casspi meets a need, will get real minutes and lets face it anything at the 3 is upgrade from what we have now. and with Jamison and TT we are good at the 4.
Cavs bring in a new GM, new coach with a new system and start rebuilding maybe they want a clean break from the LBJ era, I wouldnt be surprised to see Andy and Boobie traded next.

GiantsSwaGG
06-30-2011, 07:34 PM
:facepalm:Both players suck so the trade works for both teams. Cavs get edge since they got s first round pick!

koreancabbage
06-30-2011, 07:40 PM
wow

Hickson >> Thompson anyday

Cavs are just F-ing themselves in the foot with every move.

It's not Lebron's fault the organization couldn't win, it was the GM, who is a F-ing idiot.

Astronaut
06-30-2011, 07:46 PM
wow

Hickson >> Thompson anyday

Cavs are just F-ing themselves in the foot with every move.

It's not Lebron's fault the organization couldn't win, it was the GM, who is a F-ing idiot.

If your a Kings fan wait until next year,

we have a different GM now than we did in the LeBron era.

koreancabbage
06-30-2011, 07:51 PM
If your a Kings fan wait until next year,

we have a different GM now than we did in the LeBron era.

haha same crap. he hasn't done anything right yet: for instance- taking Thompson over JonasVal or anyone for that matter. And creating that fiasco with Irving on whether they would choose him or not a few days before the draft.

probably the only thing he did right was take Irving. Derrick Williams does not have an NBA position yet.

Chupi
06-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Jimmer
Evans/Thorton
Salmons/Garcia
Hickson/Thompson
Cousins

Very good team, idk why everyone is ripping their management. Im excited to see them and the Wizards.

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-30-2011, 08:24 PM
I think a lot of you guys don't understand the meaning of a full protected lottery pick.

Some of you are getting all excited that the Cavs are gonna get the Kings first round pick next year.

That is only if the Kings make the playoffs, which they probably won't.

The Cavs will probably end up with the Kings 2016 18th overall pick or something like that lol.

I love Omri because I am Jewish and a Kings fan, but I think its an even trade and probably a good move for the Kings.

wjmoffatt
06-30-2011, 08:44 PM
JJ is over rated!!! Great job by the cavs yet again, although i think they may need to thank the Thunder for being so accomplished at a young age for Cavsfans to jump on board with this. Now if they can sneak in a trade with the pistons for Rip and a 1st round pick next year for Lebrons trade exemption, they'll be golden.

wjmoffatt
06-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Jimmer
Evans/Thorton
Salmons/Garcia
Hickson/Thompson
Cousins

Very good team, idk why everyone is ripping their management. Im excited to see them and the Wizards.

that's a horrible line up! Cousins the only big. Jimmer can't play d so who's going to stop the dribble drive and prevent Cousins from fouling. Only one worth mentioning on this team is Tyreke Evans

Steelers23_06
06-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Jimmer
Evans/Thorton
Salmons/Garcia
Hickson/Thompson
Cousins

x2. im prematurely gonna choose the kings as my sleeper team (i chose memphis around this time last year and i think they did pretty good). cousins is a good big he averaged 14 & 8 as a rookie only starting 62 games and playing alot of tht as power foward due to dalembert. and we all know cousins is a 5. so this allows cousin to play his natural position and getting a young hickson to play the 4 coming off his best season yet. and they have a seasoned veteran with good leadership qualities in salmons. also you have tyreke playing the 2 which will take the load of the rookie pg jimmer bc tyreke can help move the ball. that sounds like a playoffs team to me...i maybe wrong but i doubt it.

The_Jamal
06-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Brilliant move by petrie. Casspi blows, he's a chucker who thinks he's way better than he actually is. He couldn't crack the rotation at our weakest position of SF on the 3rd worst team in basketball, that screams potential eh? Our team is getting to the point that we don't need any more high-talent rookies; we need to start surrounding Cousins, Reke, and Thorton with good talent.

Lakerhead4ever
06-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Funny, from what i seen from jj is he is a very good player.

but im sure the cavs fans know more than me since the watch him everyday

mttwlsn16
06-30-2011, 09:47 PM
solid deal for sactown

The Best Around
06-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Makes sense for both sides. Cavs don't need Hickson since they drafted Tristan Thompson. And they didn't have SF, plus they got a future first. Sacramento had no role for Casspi apparently, and they got a solid PF that could be good with some guidance.

So if the rumors a year and a half ago of the Cavs not wanting to give up Hickson to get Amare are true...then wow.

Kyle N.
06-30-2011, 10:34 PM
x2. im prematurely gonna choose the kings as my sleeper team (i chose memphis around this time last year and i think they did pretty good). cousins is a good big he averaged 14 & 8 as a rookie only starting 62 games and playing alot of tht as power foward due to dalembert. and we all know cousins is a 5. so this allows cousin to play his natural position and getting a young hickson to play the 4 coming off his best season yet. and they have a seasoned veteran with good leadership qualities in salmons. also you have tyreke playing the 2 which will take the load of the rookie pg jimmer bc tyreke can help move the ball. that sounds like a playoffs team to me...i maybe wrong but i doubt it.

Get us into the playoffs Steelers23_06. Do it!

Lake_Show2416
06-30-2011, 11:04 PM
good move for the Kings, u can never have too many good big man

Iverson3018
06-30-2011, 11:17 PM
cavs could get more

This

Master Mind
06-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Dalembert isn't returning

JNA17
06-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Amazing trade for the Cavs. They get rid of a bad attitude player like Hickson and get a younger player along with a first round pick.

drobe86
07-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Good move for both sides. With the addition of Tristan thompson that makes Hickson expendable. Hickson is also a quality player and I don't understand the hate on him. He's a 15 and 8 type of player and he'll be pretty productive for the Kings. Cassipi has some talent but doesn't have the ceiling of Thompson. But when you put him with the 1st round pick its a fair deal... Great job by both sides.

papipapsmanny
07-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Kings look like wizards, in that they are full of potential and will be fun to watch

MagicHero3
07-01-2011, 08:35 AM
is it me or did the cavs just trade away their best player? god they suck

rhaas74
07-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Is JJ a good player? Yea. He can put together great games. But he is way too inconsistent. He disappears when the game is on the line. He has great potential, I just don't know if he will ever reach it. He has very poor hands and an extremely low basketball IQ. He routinely makes simple mistakes throughout the game. Over 2 TO's per game last year from a PF.

Add on top of all that this is a contract year for him. He was not going to be coming back. His potential is to the point where someone would overpay for him, and we wanted no part of that. Hopefully he sticks with Sacramento and does well. I wish him all the best, but it is time to move on.

raidersrock99
07-01-2011, 01:02 PM
i think everyone that keeps putting this in a winner/loser sense for the trade is wrong this is one of the most equal trades ive seeen in a long time

mark1125
07-01-2011, 02:07 PM
i think everyone that keeps putting this in a winner/loser sense for the trade is wrong this is one of the most equal trades ive seeen in a long time

EXACTLY!!! Not sure why 90% has to put it into the "rape, owned" catagory. Take out the Cleveland/Sacramento homers who will obviously be loyal to their teams, and It IS possible for a trade to benefit both teams.

Personally, I think Hickson is extremely over rated and Cleveland did well to get a future 1st and a serviceable F (which they needed). Sacramento picks up a kid with high ceiling (even though I am not a fan) and all they REALLY lose is a protected 1st.

Sounds like a win for both.

heyman321
07-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Its funny the Cavs didn't want to part with this guy in order to get Amare and now they get Casspi for him.

twoearl
07-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Its funny the Cavs didn't want to part with this guy in order to get Amare and now they get Casspi for him.

Thank you for addressing the Real elephant in the room. So just two years ago he was deemed "UNTOUCHABLE" when Lebron was dying for some help. But now they let him go for a future 7th man? LOL SMH at Dan Gilbert...

Switch
07-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Is JJ a good player? Yea. He can put together great games. But he is way too inconsistent. He disappears when the game is on the line. He has great potential, I just don't know if he will ever reach it. He has very poor hands and an extremely low basketball IQ. He routinely makes simple mistakes throughout the game. Over 2 TO's per game last year from a PF.

Add on top of all that this is a contract year for him. He was not going to be coming back. His potential is to the point where someone would overpay for him, and we wanted no part of that. Hopefully he sticks with Sacramento and does well. I wish him all the best, but it is time to move on.

Your forgetting he's only 22. He has the potential of becoming a 20/10 type of player. Great deal for the Kings.

FairWeatherFan?
07-01-2011, 03:54 PM
The cavs were reluctant to give up Hickson for Amare but as Brian Windhorst reported a while back, it was the suns who pulled the deal off the table.

Hickson will likely become a 20/10 guy, but he'll still be giving up 20+ on a nightly basis. His ceiling is more like David Lee than Amare

raidersrock99
07-01-2011, 04:16 PM
^ well i would take david lee starting over what we had in jason thompson jason thompson will be good coming off the bench.. as much as people rip every move that ever happens the kings as a team have a high ceiling..will they reach it? maybe not but they still have the potential to be great in a few years.

LakersKB24
07-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Idk I think it's a good deal for both sides.

Cavs just drafted a PF, get a decent bench player in Casspi + a future 1st rounder, Kings add JJ to their big man rotation. Youu can never have enough big men.

Sure, Hickson was one of the best players on that Cavs team, but they weren't going to make the playoffs anyway. Actually, it would hurt their rebuilding process if they made the playoffs, because they wouldn't have a lottery pick in 2012 which will be a very strong draft class especially at the forward spots.
So I think Hickson would be gone by 2012 anyway.

Irving-Barnes?-Thompson seems to be a very decent group of guys to build your team around (depending on how they turn out in the NBA)

TO Rapz
07-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Idk I think it's a good deal for both sides.

Cavs just drafted a PF, get a decent bench player in Casspi + a future 1st rounder, Kings add JJ to their big man rotation. Youu can never have enough big men.

Sure, Hickson was one of the best players on that Cavs team, but they weren't going to make the playoffs anyway. Actually, it would hurt their rebuilding process if they made the playoffs, because they wouldn't have a lottery pick in 2012 which will be a very strong draft class especially at the forward spots.
So I think Hickson would be gone by 2012 anyway.

Irving-Barnes?-Thompson seems to be a very decent group of guys to build your team around (depending on how they turn out in the NBA)

:laugh2:

mamba24
07-01-2011, 06:16 PM
How is this a bad trade for the Cavs? Especially if the first round pick is unprotected or top 2. You guys are insane..

its protected idiot... which means when the kings dont make the playoffs the cavs dont get their pick... basically caspi for jj straight up lol... cleveland got screwed lol

D-Will4Prez
07-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Casspi > Hickson

And Cavs get a protected first rounder ON TOP of that??

Kings really are one of the dumbest franchises in existence.

DerekRE_3
07-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Casspi > Hickson

Did you only see Casspi for the 10 or so good games he's had in his career? He's really not that good. He couldn't even beat out Donte Greene for playing time. That should tell you something.

The_Jamal
07-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Did you only see Casspi for the 10 or so good games he's had in his career? He's really not that good. He couldn't even beat out Donte Greene for playing time. That should tell you something.

this. Casspi couldn't get minutes on possibily the worst group of SF's in basketball and the 3rd worst team in basketball. He's pretty terrible and quite arrogant of his abilities.

Astronaut
07-02-2011, 01:14 AM
I can't wait to see what the Kings defense looks like next year..

Warrioresque or worse.

Sadly, the Warriors beat us too...

kfranks22
07-02-2011, 01:25 AM
I can't wait to see what the Kings defense looks like next year..

Warrioresque or worse.

Sadly, the Warriors beat us too...

At least they're a million times better defensively at the 3 by adding Salmons and dumping Casspi, who was the worst defender at any position for the Kings the last few years.

Arch Stanton
07-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Well if there's no season this trade makes more and more sense for the Cavs.

Astronaut
07-02-2011, 01:29 AM
At least they're a million times better defensively at the 3 by adding Salmons and dumping Casspi, who was the worst defender at any position for the Kings the last few years.

Yeah, they need to get a true distributor, if they have that with the amount of shooters on their team they would be scary.

thekmp211
07-02-2011, 01:46 AM
You do understand that the draft pick is heavily protected, right? Unless we do great this year, we'll have a draft pick next year.

nope, didnt see that first time around. good move then, hickson for a guy like casspi straight up is a solid deal and once the pick comes to fruition the kings will hopefully have no further use of young guys.

thekmp211
07-02-2011, 01:51 AM

this. Casspi couldn't get minutes on possibily the worst group of SF's in basketball and the 3rd worst team in basketball. He's pretty terrible and quite arrogant of his abilities.

yeah, but he has a chance to improve in a different system, and has some nice skills for his size. the cavs also get a first rounder down the road that could turn into a player better than hickson, who wasn't really in their future plans anyway. i don't think it's a terrible deal.

also wasn't casspi in the doghouse with westphal? was it westphal being silly or was he in the doghouse because he sucked?

Switch
07-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Casspi > Hickson

How exactly is Casspi better then Hickson?

Both have high potential but Hickson is already the better player.

DerekRE_3
07-02-2011, 04:34 AM
yeah, but he has a chance to improve in a different system, and has some nice skills for his size. the cavs also get a first rounder down the road that could turn into a player better than hickson, who wasn't really in their future plans anyway. i don't think it's a terrible deal.

also wasn't casspi in the doghouse with westphal? was it westphal being silly or was he in the doghouse because he sucked?

You can say that about any player that is being traded. He didn't play because his defense sucked and he's an inconsistent shooter. Since he can't play defense, if his jumper isn't falling he's pretty much useless. He has no way to create shots for himself effectively and has no in between game. He just chucks threes, gets an occasional fast break dunk, plays shoddy defense and rebounds pretty well for his position.

It's funny to read comments saying he's a good defender in this thread. Yes, he plays hard and is a scrappy player. That doesn't make you good at defense.

Both players in this trade are flawed prospects. The Kings obviously feel like Hickson has a higher ceiling, or they wouldn't have include a heavily protected, but future nontheless, 1st round pick. It's a pretty even deal, and the Kings really had no use for Casspi anymore because he was at best a 3rd stringer next season.