PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili: Spurs Championship Window Not Closed

JordansBulls
06-30-2011, 12:13 PM
http://www.projectspurs.com/2011-articles/june/ginobili-spurs-window-is-not-closed.html

"It's simple. Memphis played hard, defended well and had a very inspired Zach Randolph," Ginobili said. "I do not think it was physical. We reached the top in February when the rest is done more slowly or as happened to us in other seasons, when we gave up in the playoffs. This time it was not."

"Closed-no, but it is closing. I'm going to be 34, Duncan is 35 and this is not forever. But we won 61 games and in six months...Boston, two years ago, played the final and was a veteran team more than we do today. It depends if you play well, you put it when it counts and not suffer injuries. Fortunately, in our case we do not injure this year."

Ginobili also said that the Spurs have been called "old" even when they won the title in 2007 and that he feels like he is better than he expected at this age, but will look to transition his game a bit because a physical decline is inevitable and he has to become "better, smarter and more reliable."

lakerboy
06-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Dallas is OLD, and they just won the championship. Case in point: Outside Kobe and Shaq's Lakers in 2000, I don't even remember a young team winning a championship.

3ballbomber
06-30-2011, 12:48 PM
I won't count them out but when your best player is 34 you may have some issues.

ULT WARRIOR408
06-30-2011, 12:52 PM
A championship run is not completely over for em but I'd say the window is starting to slowly close on their chances.

Sadds The Gr8
06-30-2011, 12:54 PM
what would u expect him to say? i think they're done unless the 2004 Duncan magically appears.

Joshtd1
06-30-2011, 02:49 PM
He's right. We won 61 games last season. We ended up playing against the one team we did not matched up the worst with, and a team who knew it so they tanked to play us. If we could just get some size next to Duncan I think we would have a much better shot.

Not going to play the what if game, but I honestly think if we had played Hornets in the first round, we would have had a great shot at winning the title. We matched up better with the Thunder and Mavs then we did the Grizz.

FriedTofuz
06-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Dallas is OLD, and they just won the championship. Case in point: Outside Kobe and Shaq's Lakers in 2000, I don't even remember a young team winning a championship.

Ginobili plays for San Antonia, not Dallas.

A championship run is not completely over for em but I'd say the window is starting to slowly close on their chances.

Thats what people said the season before. People said they were done because they were old and most likely degressing because their core players arent in their prime. The spurs proved everyone wrong and their window is certainly not closing.

what would u expect him to say? i think they're done unless the 2004 Duncan magically appears.

They won 61 games, they arent close to being done.

FinsSuperBowl
06-30-2011, 02:59 PM
The only way their window closes is if Coach Pop retires

Sadds The Gr8
06-30-2011, 03:10 PM
They won 61 games, they arent close to being done.

who cares? they got handled easily by Memphis in the first round and swept in the 2nd round 2 years ago. Winning 60+ games means nothing...ask Phoenix and Cleveland.

shen
06-30-2011, 03:14 PM
There window shut two years ago. Last year was there last gasp and outside of the first half the year they played there age. Duncan is in far worse shape then anyone on Celtics were two years ago. Parker even admitted there window is shut. Manu does not want to admit it because that is admitting he is part the problem.

FriedTofuz
06-30-2011, 03:15 PM
who cares? they got handled easily by Memphis in the first round and swept in the 2nd round 2 years ago. Winning 60+ games means nothing...ask Phoenix and Cleveland.

Who cares? Every team matches up with teams differently. The Grizzlies just match up very well against the spurs. There are teams that match up very well against miami, and miami was still a contender, what does that mean? Doesnt matter about the past, what matters now is currently how good the spurs are and where they stand. Winning 60 games means alot actually. It means you are most likely one of the top teams in the nba if you can win 60 games. It also Ensures home court advantage.

smith&wesson
06-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Who cares? Every team matches up with teams differently. The Grizzlies just match up very well against the spurs. There are teams that match up very well against miami, and miami was still a contender, what does that mean? Doesnt matter about the past, what matters now is currently how good the spurs are and where they stand. Winning 60 games means alot actually. It means you are most likely one of the top teams in the nba if you can win 60 games. It also Ensures home court advantage.

winning 60 games doesnt automatically ensure you home court. you have to have the most wins in order to achieve that. if someone else wins 61 games your dont get the advantage.

also clevland won 60 games multiple times and never could get the job done so did pheonix.

the playoffs are different then the regular season. thats all he is trying to say.

210Don
06-30-2011, 03:48 PM
i agree with him....
but who knows really
we can pull a dalllas

mttwlsn16
06-30-2011, 03:55 PM
spurs are done

smith&wesson
06-30-2011, 04:03 PM
i wouldnt say they are done. but the feelings you get is that some of the older teams in the west will fade out and the younger and upcoming teams will start contending, like okc & memphis.

but its tough for me to say the lakers or even spurs are done. they still have really good players .

Sadds The Gr8
07-01-2011, 01:11 AM

Miami made the finals, Spurs got owned in the first round...:eyebrow:

Winning 60 games doesn't mean you're a title contender.

iggypop123
07-01-2011, 01:20 AM
its not just being old. its just being crappy. that team has no inside presenence to help 25 min a game duncan.

MrfadeawayJB
07-01-2011, 01:25 AM
the window is not closed yet....for people that think their window is closed, that is a slap in the face of all spurs and Grizz fans respectivley. Spurs will be solid until Duncan retires and Ginoboli loses a step

John Walls Era
07-01-2011, 01:27 AM
I believe him, but what else is he suppose to say?

thenetslegend
07-01-2011, 01:28 AM
their window is closed if next nba season doesnt happen

Kobes a Killer
07-01-2011, 01:29 AM
The window is starting to close, but I wouldn't count of Timmy D, Manu, and a deep team

MTar786
07-01-2011, 01:30 AM
when ur main player is 35 and it hurts to watch him play, ur second best player is a 34 year old slasher, and ur 3rd best player is banging 19 year olds you know you're in trouble

SportsFanatic10
07-01-2011, 02:40 AM
i'd be surprised to see them in a finals again with that core. even parker talked about it not long ago as well.

TRF929
07-01-2011, 03:15 AM
They're not done and can still win a championship. Especially if theres any kind of hard cap, say good by to Bos, Mia, Lal, Dal, and I'm sure a couple others. Gasol will get paid more from another team and leave Mem, so they're out. A lot of things will change after the new deal, lets just see what the new rules will be first.

cchrisc773
07-01-2011, 03:53 AM
Denial is such a you know what. However, Spurs had a heck of a run!!!

cchrisc773
07-01-2011, 03:53 AM
They're not done and can still win a championship. Especially if theres any kind of hard cap, say good by to Bos, Mia, Lal, Dal, and I'm sure a couple others. Gasol will get paid more from another team and leave Mem, so they're out. A lot of things will change after the new deal, lets just see what the new rules will be first.

That would be in a few seasons...... Since those teams have those players currently under contract. So, by then the Spurs window will be slammed for sure...

knightstemplar
07-01-2011, 04:04 AM
its closed

what did duncan average last year, 13 and 9 lol its only gonna get worse from here

greenbaythunder
07-01-2011, 06:42 AM
The way they find talent and put it to use I wouldn't call them done yet but I wouldn't say they not either tho

TRF929
07-01-2011, 07:10 AM
its closed

what did duncan average last year, 13 and 9 lol its only gonna get worse from here

you act like thats bad. 13/9 in less than 30 min, find another player that puts up those stats in limited mins. Even with Duncan avg lower number, what was their season record? Injuries just bit em at the end of season, add that to the matchup vs the Grizz, equals not a good thing.

Tell me the season where they weren't underdogs and they've still won 4 trophies. Next year won't be any different, even if they're up 3-0 in the finals haters will still underestimate em

sventhedog
07-01-2011, 07:31 AM
i can't say i agree with him. spurs have played great the past decade.

ginobili just said what he needed to say. that's all.

DR_1
07-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I won't count them out but when your best player is 34 you may have some issues.

Agreed.