PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com: Solid Free Agents that could be signed at a bargain price

LTBaByyy
06-30-2011, 01:33 AM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/john_schuhmann/06/29/free-agent-bargains/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Here are five players who will likely give you good value for their price:

Chuck Hayes, C, Houston
To get by as the league's shortest center, you have to be pretty tough and make the most of what you've got. Hayes has always been a rugged defender, but he had his best offensive year last season with the Rockets.

Hayes cracked the 15-point mark six times and recorded 11 double-doubles, after recorded just nine in his first five seasons in the league. But Hayes' value is obviously as a glue guy. The Rockets were a much better team (both offensively and defensively) with him on the floor.

Kenyon Martin, PF, Denver
This free agent class is best and deepest on the frontline. There are a lot of power forwards on the market and Martin had his big payday in 2004, so he could be had at a reasonable rate.

Martin has had microfracture surgery on both knees and missed the first 26 games of last season. But he played 30-plus minutes 17 times over the last few months and looked remarkably explosive considering his injury history. The Nuggets outscored their opponents by almost eight points per 100 possessions with one of the league's best defensive power forwards on the floor.

Luc Mbah a Moute, PF, Milwaukee (Restricted)
Mbah a Moute is one of a group of free agents who should provide good value for their cost ... but only if other teams are scared away by their restricted status. Given the parameters of restricted free agency, it will be hard to pry Mbah a Moute away from the Bucks, Arron Afflalo away from the Nuggets, Mario Chalmers away from the Heat, or Thaddeus Young away from the Sixers at a reasonable price.

Mbah a Moute has averaged less than seven points a game in his three years with the Bucks. But you'd have a hard time finding a player who can defend both forward positions as well as he can. Just ask Dirk Nowitzki, who has shot just 43 percent with Mbah a Moute on the floor over the last four seasons.

Young just turned 23 years old. Afflalo and Chalmers are just 25, and Mbah a Moute will be 25 in September. Beyond their standard numbers, they all bring value on the defensive end of the floor. And they'll continue to do it for years to come.

Michael Redd, SG, Milwaukee
He's played just 61 games over the last three years, but Redd was able to return from his latest knee surgery for the final 10 games of the season. After a summer of work, it's easy to imagine him providing instant offense off the bench for a contender (Chicago seems like a great fit), or getting his career back on track with a lower-level team willing to give him a starting job.

Redd will turn 32 in August, but he averaged 22.1 points over six seasons before injuries derailed his career. Every team needs guys who can space the floor, and it's hard to imagine Redd will cost much after three seasons spent mostly on the shelf.

Josh Howard is another former All-Star who hasn't been healthy in a few years and might be worth taking a flier on.

Chris Wilcox, C, Detroit
As a full-time starter, Wilcox averaged 13.4 points and 7.4 rebounds over two seasons in Seattle. He has dealt with injuries and reduced roles in the three years since then, but his per-minute numbers were a career best last season in Detroit.

Wilcox averaged 17.0 points and 10.9 rebounds per 40 minutes for the Pistons. He doesn't block shots and isn't a great defender, but remarkably, he was a minus-8 over 996 minutes for a team that was outscored by 295 points for the season. The Pistons were much better offensively with him the floor than with him on the bench.

Wilcox is a nine-year veteran, but he turns just 29 years old in September. He'd certainly be a serviceable third or fourth big man for the next couple of years. And he should come pretty cheap.

LTBaByyy
06-30-2011, 01:36 AM
I think Michael Redd is a big potential steal

Low Risk/High Reward. Even though he seems done

He MIGHT come back since he is more of a shooter

He was a big time player a couple years ago

Knicks21
06-30-2011, 01:40 AM
Chuck Hayes wont be a bargain.

LTBaByyy
06-30-2011, 01:42 AM
If Big Baby leaves Boston, the Celtics need to get Hayes

Dash
06-30-2011, 01:50 AM
Not gonna lie Willcox when he had the mintues actually did pretty good lol

BkOriginalOne
06-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Michael Redd should sign with Chicago or the Heat (James likes Redd and wanted to acquire him when he was on the cavs) He should go the Bobcats if he wants a bigger role.

Kmart should sign with Mavs, because he will be a nice rotation guy for them.
Boston, cause they could use the veteran defense and rebounding esp if baby is gone.
Knicks (to shore up front line and allow Amare to spend time at C)

Chuck Hayes should sign with Boston cause he fits their mold of backup PF
I see him signing for money though, so maybe the Kings or Bucks.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Michael Redd will be like Peja now but better.

I say a contender jump on him.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-30-2011, 01:57 AM
Michael Redd should sign with Chicago or the Heat (James likes Redd and wanted to acquire him when he was on the cavs) He should go the Bobcats if he wants a bigger role.

Boston, cause they could use the veteran defense and rebounding esp if baby is gone.

Lebron prefered Redd over others because he is also from Ohio.

210Don
06-30-2011, 01:57 AM
i want wilcox on the spurs

JPHX
06-30-2011, 02:00 AM
a lot of teams will be after Mike Redd. and a lot of teams can outbid the contenders. all depends if he's a ring-chaser or mo money type of guy.

Sadds The Gr8
06-30-2011, 02:07 AM
no AK 47?

Knicks21
06-30-2011, 02:11 AM
no AK 47?

Not at a bargain price.

bbcmillionaire
06-30-2011, 03:33 AM
Hmmm if micheal redd would come off the bench as a sixth man and we have someone like Jason Richardson or oj mayo starting watch out

Bulls_fan90
06-30-2011, 03:56 AM
I like Wilcox. He seemed to play at a pretty high level in the Pistons games i watched last season.

jtsunami
06-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Redd's knees are worse than Roy's. There's no point. Although I think Chuck Hayes would be an excellent big man off the bench.

Mave1002
06-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Michael Redd will be like Peja now but better.

I say a contender jump on him.

hmm.. +1

AB17
Pau
RonRon
kobe
Fish

LO
Luke
Barnes
REDD
Blake

DC
Ebanks
Goudelock
Morris

:rolleyes:

PHX2daDEATH
06-30-2011, 10:30 AM

lol didnt K-Mart call cuban a *** or something?

cutiepie80
06-30-2011, 10:52 AM
I want Redd to be a Bull.

Shmontaine
06-30-2011, 11:37 AM
I want Redd to be a Bull.

never been a great defender... now has two bad knees = pass...

tdunk21
06-30-2011, 11:39 AM
now that nene has opted out and is an unrestricted FA, it wouldnt surprise me if he takes less money to play on a contending team......too bad all the contenders only havefull MLE to offer.....would be good if the spurs can sign him......would be intriguing to see what nene could do with his brazilian teammate splitter.....

thedfactor
06-30-2011, 12:01 PM
I'd take Kenyon to back up Dirk on the cheap.

Giraffes Rule
06-30-2011, 12:45 PM
I would love to see Mbah a Moute on the Spurs. I doubt they could pry him away from the Bucks though.