PDA

View Full Version : TOP 10 NBA FREE AGENTS: Majority are Centers

FriedTofuz
06-29-2011, 11:30 AM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/shaun_powell/06/28/top-10-free-agents/

10. DeAndre Jordan (Restricted)
He's 6-foot-11, only 23, and had a 20-rebound game last season for the Clippers. There were times (not many, but a few) when he was the best big man on the floor for the Clips, who see him as a potential replacement for Chris Kaman, now on the trading block. Jordan and Blake Griffin make for a young and promising power duo. Nimble and athletic, a guy like Jordan would've been a lottery pick last week. He might fetch an offer sheet but some teams are wary about his work ethic, fearing he might suddenly chill with a big contract. Also, he doesn't have a long track record as a starter, so Jordan is largely unproven as a prime-time guy.

9. Yao Ming (Unrestricted)
He's no longer considered a franchise player, not after all the surgeries and lost seasons. He has only played four complete seasons in his career, just five games since 2009 and now he's 30. There's no guarantee he'll ever step on the floor again, much less be able to play 30-plus minutes and deal with the physical demands of the low post. But if he's healthy and no longer running on bad wheels, don't forget, he's also 7-foot-6. In a league lacking in quality centers, Yao remains on the radar. As long as a team doesn't need to lean on him (he might break), he can be someone's missing piece.

8. J.R. Smith (U)
An ideal sixth man who can score (career high is 45 points), there's no question Smith has skills that many teams can use. He's cut in the mold of Jamal Crawford and Jason Terry, players who can instantly change a game and create matchup hell for the other team. Yet he comes with a checkered history and can be high maintenance, too. If you rub him the wrong way, there's no fear of any ink coming off his body, just whining and pouting. Anyone who gets Smith must accept the complete package. For a contender, given what he brings off the bench, he might be worth any headaches he could cause.

7. Greg Oden (R)
Would the Blazers dare allow Oden to walk if somebody blows them away with a big offer? First, the Blazers must tender him a qualifying offer, which is expected. Then the drama begins. This is a huge risk/reward situation for any team contemplating such an offer, because Oden can be a solid rebounder and shot-blocker. He's also a work-in-progress on offense, and because he hasn't seen much court time, that offense will need more time to develop. Of course, the big issue is health; after two major leg surgeries, is his body trustworthy enough to warrant a big contract? Most likely, teams will rather wait and see next summer.

6. Jamal Crawford (U)
Over the last three years, only Jason Terry has rivaled Crawford as the league's best sixth man. Crawford can bring big points off the bench and isn't afraid to take the most important shot of the game. The downside is he can shoot 4-for-15 some nights as well. He thought he had stability in Atlanta until the Hawks put his contract talks on hold last summer. Crawford is perhaps the most attractive non-big man on the market, because he brings good character and plenty of gusto, although teams will wonder if his best years are behind him.

5. Kris Humphries (U)
After seven nomadic seasons, Humphries enjoyed a breakout in 2010-11, both on and off the court. It doesn't get any better than hooking 10.4 rebounds a game and Kim Kardashian. He's only 27 and perhaps finally hit his stride with the Nets. He may never be a scorer but if teams believe he can continue to rebound at that rate, then Humphries will get almost as many looks as his fiancÚ. There are some red flags, though. He played for a poor team and therefore rebounds were in abundance. Also, was he a one-hit wonder? With teams suddenly watching their checkbooks, Humphries might not get the kind of big money that was thrown in the direction of players like him roughly five years ago.

4. Marc Gasol (R)
Flush with the buzz from their unexpected playoff run, the Grizzlies say they plan to do everything they can to retain their rugged center. On one level, that makes sense. Gasol is the perfect complement to Zach Randolph, who was taken off the free agent market with a big extension, and you wonder if Z-Bo would suffer if Gasol leaves. Also, why would the Grizzlies suddenly go cheap after generating all that goodwill in Memphis two months ago? Yet this remains a small-market team that shelled out plenty to Z-Bo, Rudy Gay and Mike Conley over the last 12 months. There's no way they'll retain O.J. Mayo, but Gasol is a keeper unless some team comes along and offers Pau money (not likely).

3. Tyson Chandler (U)
About 18 months ago Chandler was hardly a wanted man. He had injury issues and was strictly a one-dimensional center, never developing anything offensively. Amazing what a solid postseason and championship run will do, though. Suddenly, Chandler got a lot prettier. He took over from Brendan Haywood, who was supposed to be the big man of the moment in Dallas, and the Mavericks never looked back. He still can't put together two decent moves with the ball, but the shot-blocking is there, and sometimes the rebounding, too. In the right system, Chandler would be an asset and perhaps a missing piece; at least he was for the Mavericks, who you figure will re-sign him after dealing with Erick Dampier and Shawn Bradley all those years.

2. David West (U)
Either the Hornets will overpay West in an attempt to convince Chris Paul to stay next summer, or they'll let him go and begin the process of weighing offers for Paul. West is coming off knee surgery but has done enough in the NBA that teams aren't worried, provided he can pass a physical. A 6-foot-11 post player with good footwork and a smooth touch would elevate an average team, or turn a good team into a contender. He's easily the most skilled big man on the market and will fetch a solid price. But not more than Paul next summer.

1. Nene (U)
He's still in his prime at 28, a double-double big man (14 points and nine rebounds last season) who's a borderline All-Star. He can play either center or power forward and that flexibility is what makes Nene attractive. Teams without an inside presence will want him to fill a void, and teams with a solid post player already in place see Nene as a complementary piece. Nene has always been somewhat of an enigma to NBA scouts; some believe he should be much further along, skill-wise, by now. Others say he's refreshingly consistent, content to be himself without making unreasonable demands. In a summer lacking in A-list free agents, it's interesting that the biggest prize doesn't have a big name, just one.

Second 10: Glenn Davis (U), J.J. Barea (U), Tayshaun Prince (U), Carl Landry (U), Aaron Brooks (R), Thad Young (R), Reggie Evans (U), Rodney Stuckey (U), Nick Young (R), Caron Butler (U).

tyfreaks brotha
06-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Chandler behind Nene, Oden and Yao are injuried and Yao may retire... This list is pretty stupid if you ask me

DoJoTheSlasher
06-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Chandler finished 3rd in DPOY voting, basically averaged a double double, he anchored our defense which brought us our first championship.

Nene didn't do **** and same goes for West. Chandler is the top FA out there.

airronijordan
06-29-2011, 11:51 AM
that list is pretty horrible

KnicksR4Real
06-29-2011, 11:55 AM
jordan should be higher than oden imo

allSUAVE
06-29-2011, 11:56 AM
terrible list

DoJoTheSlasher
06-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Every single one of those players would easily be the 3rd best player on the Knicks....

DeyAce
06-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Oden and Ming should be 9-10

shep33
06-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Thadeus and Nick Young are both underrated IMO. I'd expect them to be re-up cause of them being RFA's.

jimbobjarree
06-29-2011, 12:14 PM
haha harsh on AK47

ttam68
06-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Free agency is as pathetic as the draft. And since when is David West 6'11"?

Lloyd Christmas
06-29-2011, 12:32 PM
I would have probably rated the free agents in this order

1. Gasol
2. Chandler
3. Nene
4. West
5. Jordan
6. Crawford
7. Humphries
8. Oden
9. JR Smith
10. Landry

GoPacers33
06-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Awful list

Slimsim
06-29-2011, 12:34 PM
THis list beats the 2010 free agency

LeonFSU
06-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Every single one of those players would easily be the 3rd best player on the Knicks....

So you think Jamaal Crawford and Kris Humphries are better than Billups?

SpeeMN
06-29-2011, 12:48 PM
It can be guaranteed that the Twolves will offer lots of cash to Marc Gasol, Chandler and Nene. If one of them wants the most money they can get, then one WILL be a Timberwolf. Id even be ok with taking a chance on Oden and maybe Yao. But Yao is a big Maybe.

Baller1
06-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Tayshaun Prince :pray:

rapjuicer06
06-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Orlando fan here. Give me Reggie Evans and JR Smith and call it a free agency

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
06-29-2011, 12:58 PM
kris humphries? seriously? blech!

heres the top ten of their top 40 according to cbs sports: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/30283991

1 Marc gasol C
2 david west PF
3 Tyson Chandler C
4 Jason Richardson SG
5 Thaddeus Young PF
6 JR Smith SG
7 Glen Davis PF
8 Deandre Jordan C
9 Grant Hill SF
10 Tayshaun Prince SF

i liked it cuz im a big grant hill fan. they had oden at 32 and yao at 40

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-29-2011, 01:24 PM
kris humphries? seriously? blech!

heres the top ten of their top 40 according to cbs sports: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/30283991

1 Marc gasol C
2 david west PF
3 Tyson Chandler C
4 Jason Richardson SG
5 Thaddeus Young PF
6 JR Smith SG
7 Glen Davis PF
8 Deandre Jordan C
9 Grant Hill SF
10 Tayshaun Prince SF

i liked it cuz im a big grant hill fan. they had oden at 32 and yao at 40

Good news for the Celtics if Baby is in the top 10. Some team could overpay him and give the Celtics some good things in return for him.

KingPosey
06-29-2011, 01:40 PM
I dont know if I think Nene is as good as others think he is.

Mc Uncle Cola
06-29-2011, 01:45 PM
How is Oden ..a guy who has played like a total of 30 games in 3 seasons on this list?? this list is garbage my friend

Hellcrooner
06-29-2011, 02:48 PM
given their ages why in hell is Marc behind chandler and nene?┐

SA5195
06-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Horrible list

Tony_Starks
06-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Might as well take Jordan, Gasol, and Chandler off the list. No way their teams let them go anywhere.......

greg_ory_2005
06-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Oden...:pity:

Trace
06-29-2011, 03:39 PM
There's no way they'll retain O.J. Mayo, but Gasol is a keeper unless some team comes along and offers Pau money (not likely).

huh?

valade16
06-29-2011, 03:41 PM
given their ages why in hell is Marc behind chandler and nene?┐

Forget age, how is he below them period?!

Chandler is an excellent defensive player, but he has no individual offense whatsoever.

nene is a good player... good. That is what your going to get. A guy who can rebound, can post-up, and can play defense; but does none of those things particularly well.

Gasol has good footwork and is a better post-up offensive option, and while he probably isn't as good on D as the other two he's no slouch either.

I'd easily offer the money to Gasol.

Tony_Starks
06-29-2011, 03:44 PM
It can be guaranteed that the Twolves will offer lots of cash to Marc Gasol, Chandler and Nene. If one of them wants the most money they can get, then one WILL be a Timberwolf. Id even be ok with taking a chance on Oden and maybe Yao. But Yao is a big Maybe.

You seriously think Chandler would leave a championship team with a billionaire owner to go play for the worst team in the league.......

KingPosey
06-29-2011, 03:57 PM
huh?

I think they meant offers "Pau Gasol TYPE money". Like what his brother's contract looks like.

Testaverde16
06-29-2011, 04:10 PM
since when is west 6'11?

Why did I think he was like 6'9 on his best day

SportsFanatic10
06-29-2011, 04:29 PM
wheres reggie evans on this list?

xabial
06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
wheres reggie evans on this list?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv1cBN8M-9I (Doing this Dropped him.)

valade16
06-29-2011, 05:08 PM
since when is west 6'11?

Why did I think he was like 6'9 on his best day

It's because they exaggerate.

I still have 2 NYK upcoming season magazines. The first one it listed Othella Harrington as a PF and he was 6'8". The next year they had him listed as a Center and he was 6'11".

They do it in HS football too. my friend was being scouted by colleges and his size is 6'1" 195 lbs but our coach listed him as 6'3" and 240 lbs because he was a lineman.

happens all the time.

J-Relo
06-29-2011, 05:09 PM

I know Billups is at a late stage of his career, but really?>:eyebrow:

beasted86
06-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Any list with Kris Humphries in the top 10 is a useless waste.

Ill21
06-29-2011, 05:42 PM

Ming or Oden would be better than Billups or Fields???

imagesrdecievin
06-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Some people here don't follow the NBA that closely or just choose to ignore the facts. Nene had a fantastic season. He is coming into his own and is head and shoulders above the rest of the players on this list. It's odd so many people are underselling him.

I would love to see him on the Nets as a PF playing with DWill and Lopez.

Korman12
06-29-2011, 05:48 PM
I think a little bit putting Chanlder back is his inconsistency between seasons. He was obviously great last season, but mediocre the two seasons prior (while missing a lot of time). Before that he was as good as he had ever been, but only sustained it for a short time with a elite PG.

His best seasons were alongside Kidd and Paul. While that doesn't essentially attribute to his skills on the defensive side, it helps his overall play.

Nighthawk
06-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Celtics should look at Nene and Thaddeus Young...That would be sweet

Nene/J. Oneal
KG/Jajuan Johnson
Pierce/Young
Allen/West/Moore
Rondo/West/Bradley

king4day
06-29-2011, 05:56 PM
Get Yao to backup Gortat Blanks!!!

allSUAVE
06-29-2011, 05:59 PM

I would normally get disrespectful here especially to a Mav fan but I'm not for Mods sake.

HouRealCoach
06-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Marcus Thornton?

and Marc Gasol is the best player in FA

Greet
06-29-2011, 07:17 PM
So you think Jamaal Crawford and Kris Humphries are better than Billups?

Humphries would be the best player on the knicks rofl you blind homer

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Celtics should look at Nene and Thaddeus Young...That would be sweet

Nene/J. Oneal
KG/Jajuan Johnson
Pierce/Young
Allen/West/Moore
Rondo/West/Bradley

I'd rather have Green.

Nighthawk
06-29-2011, 07:44 PM
I'd rather have Green.

Totally forgot about Jeff Green...lol

Nene would be a nice addition. Plays the 4 or 5 or is a terrific defender and a tough nosed offensive player. Next to KG would be and upgrade over J.O. We dont have the money though for Nene. We need to look for value and get guys on the cheap and hope for some steals. Also dont have much trade assets either. D.A has to be crafty

mzgrizz
06-29-2011, 07:49 PM
I pray Heisley will open his checkbook to Marc :pray:

koreancabbage
06-29-2011, 08:11 PM
I pray Heisley will open his checkbook to Marc :pray:

i pray that BC opens up his checkbook and steals Marc Gasol with an offer the grizzlies can refuse.

Gasol is going to get paid. i don't see the Grizz matching when they are a small market team and are willing to into the luxury tax area.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Totally forgot about Jeff Green...lol

Nene would be a nice addition. Plays the 4 or 5 or is a terrific defender and a tough nosed offensive player. Next to KG would be and upgrade over J.O. We dont have the money though for Nene. We need to look for value and get guys on the cheap and hope for some steals. Also dont have much trade assets either. D.A has to be crafty

Yeah I'd love Nene but rather have Green than Young. A pipe dream would be Nene accepts our MLE.

FriedTofuz
06-29-2011, 11:52 PM
The list has big names, but they are missing a lot of better players.

Denver-boy
06-30-2011, 12:19 AM
two nugz make the list, nene at #1 :speechless:

FriedTofuz
06-30-2011, 01:06 AM
two nugz make the list, nene at #1 :speechless:

The list could have been better, but nene will definatly recieve a big payday in this offseason. Hes looking for at least 50 milion over 5 years.

mike_noodles
06-30-2011, 01:37 AM

:clap:

Yeah it is, Humphries? really?

Oden, Yao? really?