PDA

View Full Version : Why Have They Dragged Out The Kurt Rhambis Firing So Long?

Tony_Starks
06-28-2011, 03:20 PM
It's obvious he's going to be fired (deservedly). He's not been allowed to be involved in the draft process. They're already starting to interview other coaches. He's had Kurt writing reports about what changes he will make. Come on! Everyone knows he's gone. Enough is enough, cut the guy loose so he can get another job already.

IMO to continue dragging this on and on is kinda tacky....

LTBaByyy
06-28-2011, 03:21 PM
They are waiting so it will be too late for Rambis to join Mike Browns staff in LA lol

Rambis is in LA last time I checked

Tony_Starks
06-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Yeah I know. Im sure at this point he knows he's gone but the lack of communication is really baffling....

Lake_Show2416
06-28-2011, 03:34 PM
cuz the Wolves dont know how to run ship

Hawkeye15
06-28-2011, 03:38 PM
I already explained this to you dude

Tony_Starks
06-28-2011, 03:42 PM
I missed it. what was the explanation?

valade16
06-28-2011, 03:43 PM
If I was Kahn I'd just quit. Teams that do this are so cowardly, grow some balls and fire him already...

Hawkeye15
06-28-2011, 04:03 PM
The reason is because part of courting Rubio was showing continuity, meaning don't show constant turnover, including on the bench. With the new CBA coming, up, firing Rambis would force them to pay his $4 million owed before the lockout. Rambis was also in a series of meeting with Kahn, and it was discussed that Rambis would change his coaching style, and bring in new assistants. Glen Taylor, the Wolves owner, was also hesitant to sign off on a firing due to the $$ owed to Rambis.

Once Rubio signed, and we picked up enough cash trading back in the draft to pay off Rambis, it became apparent that it would only be a matter of time before Rambis was fired.

Now, they are starting to go thru the process of gauging who is available as a replacement. I honestly don't know if they will get rid of Rambis before the lockout.

Kahn is a lawyer. He understands all contractual rules better than you or I do. He knows what he is doing in that respect. Going into the draft, a coach wasn't needed when we had the #2 pick in a 2 player draft. Pick whomever doesn't go #1, simple.

Tony_Starks
06-28-2011, 04:12 PM
The reason is because part of courting Rubio was showing continuity, meaning don't show constant turnover, including on the bench. With the new CBA coming, up, firing Rambis would force them to pay his $4 million owed before the lockout. Rambis was also in a series of meeting with Kahn, and it was discussed that Rambis would change his coaching style, and bring in new assistants. Glen Taylor, the Wolves owner, was also hesitant to sign off on a firing due to the $$ owed to Rambis.

Once Rubio signed, and we picked up enough cash trading back in the draft to pay off Rambis, it became apparent that it would only be a matter of time before Rambis was fired.

Now, they are starting to go thru the process of gauging who is available as a replacement. I honestly don't know if they will get rid of Rambis before the lockout.

Kahn is a lawyer. He understands all contractual rules better than you or I do. He knows what he is doing in that respect. Going into the draft, a coach wasn't needed when we had the #2 pick in a 2 player draft. Pick whomever doesn't go #1, simple.

Well I get all that and it makes sense but my biggest issue is the shopping for a replacement now. If they do indeed end up firing him the fact that they let him be a lame duck for so long and were already looking elsewhere while he sits in LA in limbo could be seen as a sign of an organization you don't want to deal with.

With the reputation Kahn already has I think he can ill afford any more negative PR......

Hawkeye15
06-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Well I get all that and it makes sense but my biggest issue is the shopping for a replacement now. If they do indeed end up firing him the fact that they let him be a lame duck for so long and were already looking elsewhere while he sits in LA in limbo could be seen as a sign of an organization you don't want to deal with.

With the reputation Kahn already has I think he can ill afford any more negative PR......

well, Kahn doesn't really care about the negative PR. I will fully admit they should have done this much quieter. But the process itself is a calculated one, in which Taylor essentially doesn't want to spend $4 million until they know a lockout is coming.

The point you bring up about sending a message about being an organization that you don't want to deal with is a valid thought. But Kahn has a track record of being as honest as anyone. Agents love him, he will tell you outright what he is looking for or thinking. I honestly think they were trying to find ways to convince themselves on keeping Rambis, but Rambis just hasn't sold them on retention.

Would I have prefered they just can him right after the season ended, the process is one most likely instructed from the owner down due to circumstances within and outside the organization.

WSU Tony
06-28-2011, 04:22 PM
Why fire a coach who you will have to pay next season only to hire a new coach when their might not be a season?

Essentially, you don't sign a new rent contract starting January 1st when your current rent contract expires in July. Why "double pay?" This is especially true when we aren't even sure we will have a season next year.

cwilson21
06-28-2011, 04:26 PM
well, Kahn doesn't really care about the negative PR. I will fully admit they should have done this much quieter. But the process itself is a calculated one, in which Taylor essentially doesn't want to spend $4 million until they know a lockout is coming.

The point you bring up about sending a message about being an organization that you don't want to deal with is a valid thought. But Kahn has a track record of being as honest as anyone. Agents love him, he will tell you outright what he is looking for or thinking. I honestly think they were trying to find ways to convince themselves on keeping Rambis, but Rambis just hasn't sold them on retention.

Would I have prefered they just can him right after the season ended, the process is one most likely instructed from the owner down due to circumstances within and outside the organization.

Absolutely. Taylor sure as hell didn't want to have buy out Rambis but we were able to scavenge enough trades together to patch the money together. Sure this whole situation looks ugly from the outside but at this point, we could give a **** about the negative press this team gets. We've taken more heat than any other organization the past couple of years but we finally have a talented roster that is going to be very exciting to watch.

Sly Guy
06-28-2011, 04:29 PM
cuz the Wolves dont know how to run ship

obviously. They're not even coastal

Beastley8
06-29-2011, 08:38 PM
From a fans perspective, it looks horrible, but from a business standpoint, you can't really argue with it.

topdog
06-29-2011, 08:53 PM
What are the rules with regard to having a head coach? I.e. could you fire a coach at the end of one season and not have a new one until the season starts?

Definitely seems that the lockout plays a part in all this. Another question: do coaches get paid if there is a lockout? Part of Rambis' contract could be eaten away (and never paid) if the lockout stretches into the season.

WolvesJagsOs
07-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Im not a huge fan of what Kahn is doing with this ill admit that, but it does make sence on why he is doing that. Like hawk said, i dont think Kahn really cares about what people think of him.

NokomisLiving
07-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Why fire a coach who you will have to pay next season only to hire a new coach when their might not be a season?

Essentially, you don't sign a new rent contract starting January 1st when your current rent contract expires in July. Why "double pay?" This is especially true when we aren't even sure we will have a season next year.

This. Why would you fire one guy and have to pay him just to turn around and hire another guy to pay when they aren't even sure we will have a season? Doesn't make sense to waste all of that money especially if the whole season is lost.

Raoul Duke
07-02-2011, 01:22 PM
This. Why would you fire one guy and have to pay him just to turn around and hire another guy to pay when they aren't even sure we will have a season? Doesn't make sense to waste all of that money especially if the whole season is lost.

Because it's a dirtbag move that basically keeps Rambis from seeking another job even though they don't want him to continue working there.

Or at least thats my take on it. It's logical and unethical.

Hawkeye15
07-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Because it's a dirtbag move that basically keeps Rambis from seeking another job even though they don't want him to continue working there.

Or at least thats my take on it. It's logical and unethical.

How is it a dirtbag move to not want to pay two coaches for a season missed? If Rambis wants to pursue another job, he can forfeit the remainder of his contract. Which he won't do. So the Wolves are not going to pay him, and then another coach, when the season is in jeopardy. That makes zero sense.

Raoul Duke
07-02-2011, 02:27 PM
How is it a dirtbag move to not want to pay two coaches for a season missed? If Rambis wants to pursue another job, he can forfeit the remainder of his contract. Which he won't do. So the Wolves are not going to pay him, and then another coach, when the season is in jeopardy. That makes zero sense.

So it doesn't seem to you as if they're stringing him along a little bit? You don't think all, or at least most of the jobs he's interested in will filled by the time they actually get around to firing him? Aren't they looking for his replacement right now?

MrfadeawayJB
07-02-2011, 02:53 PM
It's pretty unproffesional and disrespectful. I thought Jeff Van Gundy said something to that extent on draft night

Hawkeye15
07-02-2011, 04:24 PM
So it doesn't seem to you as if they're stringing him along a little bit? You don't think all, or at least most of the jobs he's interested in will filled by the time they actually get around to firing him? Aren't they looking for his replacement right now?

How do you know they are stringing him along? Kahn and Rambis have met numerous times. I guarantee some of the conversation is telling Kurt that he would probably be gone now if it weren't for the lockout coming. So instead, tell us why you should keep your job while the NBA sorts this out.

Again, its business. If Kurt wants to explore his options, he should have resigned. The Wolves, or any organization with business sense, would never want to pay for two employees that can't work for them.

Hawkeye15
07-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Its disrespectful and unprofessional? Should the Wolves just say, "man, the media is killing us on this one, even though they have zip clue what is said or done behind closed doors. Lets just swallow the $4 million owed so we don't get criticized"

God the media is annoying. It causes more problems than any entity I can think of in this country.