PDA

View Full Version : Are the Magic a Sign-and-trade Away From a Title?

JasonJohnHorn
06-28-2011, 08:37 AM
It is official. David West is a free agent. And the best fit for him? Orlando. They dont have the cap space, but they have the pieces to work a sign and trade. Lets face it, the Magic have had pretty much every piece a team needs over the last three or four years outside of a double-double power forward, and that is the one thing they need. A post scorer who can give Howard the help he needs cleaning up the boards.

Is David West the answer? I think so.

Thoughts?

MagicBucsSox
06-28-2011, 09:06 AM
A scorer and penetrator is the answer. West would cone in as the best pf in Orlando history. But honestly coaching is an issue too. Behind BAD MANAGEMENT which is #1

Bryrob58
06-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Pretty sure N.O. is looking forward to that cap relief.

Cavs_Fan24
06-28-2011, 09:08 AM
I think he would be a solid fit because of his shooting ability, but he alone won't bring a championship to Orlando. Although adding him would be a good start IMO.

JoAc
06-28-2011, 09:12 AM
The Orlando Magic need someone who can penetrate just like MagicBucsSox stated. They also need consistent shooters that will caught and shoot when the ball is pass out of the penetration or when Howard gets double and tripled teamed.

ManRam
06-28-2011, 09:15 AM
The right trade...perhaps?

David West being the difference maker? I doubt it. They need a consistent back court scorer first and foremost.

ttam68
06-28-2011, 09:43 AM
The last thing they need is another overpaid, aging role player. They need a lot of things, but a jump shooting PF is down the list.

Sly Guy
06-28-2011, 10:10 AM
david west is not the answer. He is overrated and I doubt we'll ever see him at an all-star level again without the assistance of one chris paul. What dwight needs is a better 'rounded' team, guys who play the midrange game, guys the penetrate, guys who pass, not just 3 point shooters and the most dominant big man in the game.

KnicksR4Real
06-28-2011, 10:20 AM
david west is not the answer IMO. so overrated

Slimsim
06-28-2011, 10:36 AM
Orlando only answer is Cp3 and D will and both are long shots

LeonFSU
06-28-2011, 10:39 AM
PF is a big need, but right now the team needs more. I think it would help more than most people on here do. Dwight has never played with a PF who even knew what a rebound was.

I think Otis Smith and SVG find humor in watching Dwight play with the likes of Hedo, Ryan Anderson, Rashard Lewis, and Brian Cook just to see Dwight frustrated and confused by 6'10 guys who are completely inept at getting rebounds. Otis wants Dwight to be the only semblance of a threat for rebounds, defense, and blocks so that Dwight continues to shoulder way too much of the load and his decision to leave is easier.

No. You can mark it down. Any logical or seemingly obvious need the Magic have will go unaddressed. Expect Otis Smith to announce his multi-year offer to Brian Cook any day now.

Then, he'll probably make DeShawn Stevenson an offer for the full MLE for 5 years and privately tell him how wrong he was to let him go years ago, and that now that his skills have obviously declined, the contract he always sought is his (ala Turk).

Chronz
06-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Theyve lacked a star perimeter player for ages that I find the statement "the Magic have had pretty much every piece a team needs over the last three or four years outside of a double-double power forward"

Even if it were true, if they signed David West they would STILL not have a double-double PF. His rebounding isnt that good, in fact the combination of Anderson/Bass are better rebounders.

sixer04fan
06-28-2011, 10:45 AM
David West on the Magic does not equal championship. Not even close.

theheatles
06-28-2011, 10:51 AM
even if orlando got chris paul and david west, they still wouldn't sweep miami

srfr4life
06-28-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't think anyone is sweeping the Heat.

MagicHero3
06-28-2011, 11:25 AM
even if orlando got chris paul and david west, they still wouldn't sweep miami

lol Dwight and CP3 would sweep any team in the NBA

blastmasta26
06-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Dwight in Orlando draws many parallels to LeBron in Cleveland. Very weak supporting cast that absolutely depends on the superstar, overachieved once to get to the Finals but not real contenders, and full of bad contracts preventing any good free agent pickups. Adding West would be futile, much like adding Antawn Jamison in Cleveland. It makes them better, but a championship is out of the question unless Dwight sticks around and Arenas re-discovers his All-Star game of years past.

John Walls Era
06-28-2011, 03:45 PM
lol Dwight and CP3 would sweep any team in the NBA

I doubt it. Its intimidating, but its not completely unstoppable. THey would still win the championship though.

Tony_Starks
06-28-2011, 03:54 PM
A combination of David West, trading Jameer for a Center, and actually letting Gilbert get some minutes could make a remarkable difference.....

ManRam
06-28-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm actually decidedly against it right now. He's not going to add enough in replacement of Anderson and Bass to make whatever contract he's going to get worth it. He just isn't.

Originally I was all about just getting better players, which he is, but he just isn't a good fit at all. He's going to make more money than he's worth, for sure, and we can't keep dishing out bad contracts.

smith&wesson
06-28-2011, 04:03 PM
no david west is not the answer. he can thank chris paul for his best seasons. jameer nelson will not have the same effect.

rapjuicer06
06-28-2011, 04:03 PM
No need for Orlando to get a guy in his 30's coming off an injury and signing a pretty big deal. That would be the dagger in the heart of Orlando wanting to keep Dwight

nyanks79
06-28-2011, 04:12 PM
New CBA could cut out S&T all together,and especially not allow one that would put Orlando at like 90 mil.

srfr4life
06-28-2011, 04:30 PM
No need for Orlando to get a guy in his 30's coming off an injury and signing a pretty big deal. That would be the dagger in the heart of Orlando wanting to keep Dwight

Totally agree!

RLundi
06-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Dwight in Orlando draws many parallels to LeBron in Cleveland. Very weak supporting cast that absolutely depends on the superstar, overachieved once to get to the Finals but not real contenders, and full of bad contracts preventing any good free agent pickups. Adding West would be futile, much like adding Antawn Jamison in Cleveland. It makes them better, but a championship is out of the question unless Dwight sticks around and Arenas re-discovers his All-Star game of years past.

Unfortunately this is what Otis Smith is counting on. He's content with standing pat this offseason and giving this group another chance; huge mistake. Arenas will never re-discover his inner Hibachi. Starting with management, coaching and the badly-pieced together players, the Magic are a dysfunctional atrocity.

The Best Around
06-28-2011, 05:32 PM
No it would not help them win, and no it couldn't happen. What would New Orleans want in a sign-and-trade? They have next to no money. They don't want any of the contracts that Orlando has. Orlando has almost no desirable pieces; Reddick would be more desirable if he wasn't going to be making like 8 million this upcoming year. So no way this even becomes a plausible scenario.

xxplayerxx23
06-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Only thing scary about him is hes 31 coming off an injury If healthy he could make them contenders

SportsFanatic10
06-28-2011, 06:02 PM
they need cp3 not west from NO(not happening) and even with cp3 they're not sweeping miami.

xxplayerxx23
06-28-2011, 06:09 PM
With cp3 they beat miami in 5 or 6 games^

SportsFanatic10
06-28-2011, 06:13 PM
didn't say they wouldn't win but they wouldn't sweep all it takes is 1 game where wade lebron get howard in foul trouble or all of the big 3 just go off once in a series.

Iceman05
06-28-2011, 06:18 PM

Well put.

8kobe24
06-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Orlando needs a point guard (CP3 or DWill) that can help out Dwight carry the load. A mere David West won't get them nowhere near the finals.

x21x NiNJA x21x
06-29-2011, 09:41 AM
My opinion they should sign V. Carter, T. Mcgrady, Humphries

Pg- Arenas
Sg- Carter
Sf- Mcgrady
Pf- Humphries
C- Howard

Thats actually not bad, Ino plp would bash me Bcuz Carter, Mcgrady. But Orlando love them both. Come'on who wouldn't wanna see family (cuzins) on the same team. N adding Humphries would help Howard down in the post

gwrighter
06-29-2011, 09:46 AM
The Magic need a wing scorer.

magicman333
06-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Carmelo, Amare, and CP3 could sweep heat

thephoenixson28
06-29-2011, 10:05 AM
They are a coach away cuz van gundy sucks.

xxplayerxx23
06-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Carmelo, Amare, and CP3 could sweep heat

1st off no way and second nothing to do with the magic or the topic

Missing56&33
06-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Lebron said the Heat will win the next 7 championships......so why should the Magic even bother with a sign and trade? :shrug:

YoungOne
06-29-2011, 10:41 AM
CP3 would make them a contender..

LeonFSU
06-29-2011, 10:42 AM
My opinion they should sign V. Carter, T. Mcgrady, Humphries

Pg- Arenas
Sg- Carter
Sf- Mcgrady
Pf- Humphries
C- Howard

Thats actually not bad, Ino plp would bash me Bcuz Carter, Mcgrady. But Orlando love them both. Come'on who wouldn't wanna see family (cuzins) on the same team. N adding Humphries would help Howard down in the post

I actually agree completely...unfortunately. To me, this would be better than doing nothing. The Magic are in such a huge hole and they have very few options. Hell just add Grant Hill to the mix, and ask Shaq to come back on crutches and at least people would watch. Might as well get Iverson too while they are at it. If Dwight is going to just walk away, the Magic should just go out in a ball of flames; so long as these are just one year deals.

GiantsSwaGG
06-29-2011, 11:23 AM
:facepalm:He's overrated. Chris Paul made him plus he's 30 coming of a knee injury that required surgery.

They be better off with Kris Humphries

x21x NiNJA x21x
06-29-2011, 11:25 AM
I actually agree completely...unfortunately. To me, this would be better than doing nothing. The Magic are in such a huge hole and they have very few options. Hell just add Grant Hill to the mix, and ask Shaq to come back on crutches and at least people would watch. Might as well get Iverson too while they are at it. If Dwight is going to just walk away, the Magic should just go out in a ball of flames; so long as these are just one year deals.

Actually I would like to see A.I in their too

mavwar53
06-29-2011, 11:34 AM
of course they'd be a title contender, would they make it to the finals probably not but would it make a Orlando (a title contender already) better, is there an answer other than yes.