PDA

View Full Version : Basketball and Complete Game

MacFitz92
06-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Basketball is predominantly an offense/defense game although transition is different, and there are other parts of the game, it's mostly an offense vs. defense game.

My question is this: Is offense overrated? Is efficiency more important than quantity, and is defense just as important, or more important, than offense?

There's been several occurrences recently that have made me think about the topic, so I'd like to bring it up.

Take a player like G Tony Allen, one of the finest perimeter defenders in the NBA. He had an 18.4 PER shooting 56.2 TS% at a bulk of 8.9 PPG. Another example is C Tyson Chandler who landed 2nd All defensive honors, led the league with 69.7 TS% with a bulk of 10.1 ppg.

Are guys like that, elite defenders and efficient scorers, more valuable than one-way players who are below average on defense or near the bottom of the league in defense, but may be top offensive players.

Examples: Andrea Bargnani, Kevin Martin, Monta Ellis, Al Jefferson, etc.

210Don
06-28-2011, 04:55 AM
depends on the team and situation allen and chandler are more valuable to the grizz and mavs because they have a team if you put tony allen on the warriors hes not very valuable but monta is..

its great to have those allen and chandler guys ona good team

Saad
06-28-2011, 05:18 AM
See just because you shoot at such a high percent doesnt make you an efficient scorer. Before you bash me hear me out. When you average less than 10 pts a game.. with like 5 shot attempts a game and most of them are put backs or easy baskets that DOES NOT make you a better player than someone shooting 15+ times a game average 25.

I think that you need a little bit of both those " two way players" as well as pure scorers to have a successful team.

As for defense being more important that offense. Im not so sure about that. I think they are equally as important. If you have one but not the other, you arent going to win many games especially at the NBA level. Defense may be SLIGHTLY more important because in the NBA almost everyone can score. They are just THAT good. But you still need offense to win games. Or you will be stuck like the 76ers and Hornets who got ousted despite their stellar defense. Or the Suns of old, Knicks who relied mainly on their offense to win games.

John Walls Era
06-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Depends. I would want at least 1 great perimeter defender and 1 shot blocker. The have the rest of the team be composed of one dimensional scorers.

thenetslegend
06-28-2011, 05:37 AM
Depends. I would want at least 1 great perimeter defender and 1 shot blocker. The have the rest of the team be composed of one dimensional scorers.

one dimensional scorers like wall's teammates?

ttam68
06-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Did you start this thread in the 90s? People have already studied these things.

NYKalltheway
06-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Defense>>>>Offense
/thread

Rentzias
06-28-2011, 10:51 AM
http://www.rawbw.com/~deano/articles/20040601_roboscout.htm

Swashcuff
06-28-2011, 11:52 AM
I have a question.

What about one-dimensional defensive players? eg. Manute Bol, Harvey Catchings, Mark Eaton etc?

One dimensional is something that goes both ways.