PDA

View Full Version : best fit for dwight howard

njnets
06-28-2011, 01:02 AM
simple question. at each position, what should a team put around dwight howard?

the magic have made a series of moves over the years and specifically last year, the magic made some big moves, all in hopes of finding the right lineup to go with howard. that success (a championship) has yet to be seen, leaving this question up to debate.

what players/types of players would be the best fit next to dwight howard?

Swashcuff
06-28-2011, 01:06 AM
simple question. at each position, what should a team put around dwight howard?

the magic have made a series of moves over the years and specifically last year, the magic made some big moves, all in hopes of finding the right lineup to go with howard. that success (a championship) has yet to be seen, leaving this question up to debate.

what players/types of players would be the best fit next to dwight howard?

07-08 Boston Celtics.

LTBaByyy
06-28-2011, 01:08 AM
Dirk would be the PERFECT player next to Howard

Too bad we dont have cap room or enough trade bait

Atleast we still have a top 5 center (if he resigns)

njnets
06-28-2011, 01:10 AM
could mods also change the title? it makes it look like i want to discuss which teams he could go to but i really want to talk about the players that would play alongside him.

maybe a title like this would work?

which players would fit best next to dwight howard?

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 01:16 AM
chris paul
ray allen
lebron
Dirk
D12

It'd never happen, but that is who I'd put around D12. As far as realistic situations, I think he'd work well on the Bulls, Thunder, or NJ/Brooklyn.

MacFitz92
06-28-2011, 01:19 AM
Dirk and Dwight would be the best 1-2 punch in history...

BkOriginalOne
06-28-2011, 01:20 AM
PG - Leader, Can Run offense, knock down shots, play defense.
SG - Great Shooter, one-on-one scorer, solid defender
SF - Great Rebounding, great defense, ALL around intangible player
PF - Good rebounder, Better outside shot
C - Howard

Coach - Not Stan Van Gundy.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-28-2011, 01:24 AM
Nash would be pretty cool. Howard would have to play run-and-gun if Nash is to be effective to his fullest.

Chi~TwnHawksFan
06-28-2011, 01:25 AM
PG - Leader, Can Run offense, knock down shots, play defense.
SG - Great Shooter, one-on-one scorer, solid defender
SF - Great Rebounding, great defense, ALL around intangible player
PF - Good rebounder, Better outside shot
C - Howard

Coach - Not Stan Van Gundy.

The Bulls..? :eyebrow:
Rose
Smith/Mayo/Other FA
Luol
Boozer/Taj
Howard

BullsFTW
06-28-2011, 01:26 AM
The best fit for Dwight Howard is the Bulls....

Derrick Rose & Dwight Howard :drool:

BkOriginalOne
06-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Chris Paul/Deron Williams
Ray Allen/Kevin Martin/Brandon Roy (If at 100%)/
Shane Battier/AK47/Marion/Odom
DIrk/David West/David Lee/
Howard + Another SHot blocking center with size

Coach... JVG

DoMeFavors
A good passing pg like Chris Paul or Deron that pick and roll would be unstoppable, Jameer aint that great of a PG. Dwight could be so much better than he is.

gaughan333

2nd best. I think MJ and Scottie may give them a run for their money.

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 01:29 AM
Rose
Smith/Mayo/Other FA
Luol
Boozer/Taj
Howard

The OP was not trying to refer to current teams. Though we can all dream.

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
06-28-2011, 01:30 AM
i try not to be a homer but i honestly believe that chicago has plenty of moveable AND desirable players and/or picks for orlando to trade for... plus dwight wants to be in a big city...
Also, its a plus for PSD cuz the rose homers will have to acknowledge that its not all about rose

jer3miah
06-28-2011, 01:30 AM
PG: Steve Nash (trade: get rid of gilbert), Jameer backup
SG: JJ Redick (let J Rich walk)
SF: Hedo Turk (he will always give you 15 ppg and 5-6 apg with Dwight)
PF: Anderson (starts over Bass for more spacing)
C: Dwight Howard

That is my realistic look at things.

Slimsim
06-28-2011, 01:33 AM
Cp3 or LBJ

Chi~TwnHawksFan
06-28-2011, 01:35 AM
The OP was not trying to refer to current teams. Though we can all dream.

to tell you the truth its really not a 'dream', its possible it happens..

Trace
06-28-2011, 01:35 AM
Chris Bosh, Andrea Bargnani, Dirk etc

DoMeFavors
06-28-2011, 01:37 AM

Yeah Suns are going to be knicking at the door to trade Steve Nash for Gilbert.

GREATNESS ONE
06-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Pg- Cp3
Sg- Ray Allen
SF- Luol Deng
PF- Gasol
C- Dwight

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 01:46 AM

NO ONE is taking agent 0 without getting D12.

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 01:47 AM

SHHHHHH. Don't jinx us. The last time I thought that we ended up with Boozer. I know we have the pieces, I just really don't wanna get my hopes up.

Chi~TwnHawksFan
06-28-2011, 01:55 AM
SHHHHHH. Don't jinx us. The last time I thought that we ended up with Boozer. I know we have the pieces, I just really don't wanna get my hopes up.

haha alright

Blazers#1Fan
06-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Rose
Smith/Mayo/Other FA
Luol
Boozer/Taj
Howard

Not being a homer....well a little but the Trail Blazers are the best fit

Howard - Defensive scoring center
Aldridge - Defensive scoring Power Forward
Wallace - Defensive scoring Small Forward
Matthews - Defensice Shooting Guard
Felton - Defensive Scoring Passing Point Guard

Roy
Batum
Camby

Defensive Coach Nate McMillan
Runs a Half Court and in the post best fit

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Not being a homer....well a little but the Trail Blazers are the best fit

Howard - Defensive scoring center
Aldridge - Defensive scoring Power Forward
Wallace - Defensive scoring Small Forward
Matthews - Defensice Shooting Guard
Felton - Defensive Scoring Passing Point Guard

Roy
Batum
Camby

Defensive Coach Nate McMillan
Runs a Half Court and in the post best fit

How are they getting him? They don't have the cap room (unless I am wrong) and you are trading nothing for him.

HouRealCoach
06-28-2011, 02:26 AM

Shaq and Kobe?

HouRealCoach
06-28-2011, 02:38 AM
Howard
Amare
Melo
Fields
CP3

or

Howard
Amare
Melo
Fields
Deron

HouRealCoach
06-28-2011, 02:39 AM
How are they getting him? They don't have the cap room (unless I am wrong) and you are trading nothing for him.

Neither does Dallas but people post them because they think that they are the best fit just like he thinks portland is

Bishnoff
06-28-2011, 02:46 AM
To answer the OP:

Paul
Wade
Gerald Wallace
Dirk
Howard

towlsmoke420
06-28-2011, 02:58 AM
CP3
Kobe/Wade
any one who is not lebron
B-Griff
D-12

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 03:01 AM
Neither does Dallas but people post them because they think that they are the best fit just like he thinks portland is

I saw a post of him and dirk. Never him and dirk on the mavs. I'm not trying to troll, I was honestly curious because if portland had that much money i'd be scared

LakersIn5
06-28-2011, 03:24 AM
nash
ray allen
ariza
aldridge
dwight

more realistic

towlsmoke420
06-28-2011, 03:59 AM
the best fit for howard is my garage. he could fit in there

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 04:18 AM
nash
ray allen
ariza
aldridge
dwight

more realistic

If were not figuring in salary, there are better fits than ariza, even though I REALLY like that pick.

Blazers#1Fan
06-28-2011, 05:17 AM

Roy's Huge contract Cambys close to 8mill this year! Batum 2mill this year add greg odens if resigned another 8 mill that's enough or am I wrong?

Howard
Aldridge
Wallace
Matthews
Felton

24/7
06-28-2011, 07:53 AM
Deron Williams or Chris Paul

SKINZ1017
06-28-2011, 08:24 AM
bulls

Rose
OJ Mayo, Monta Ellis
Deng
Boozer
Howard

JasonJohnHorn
06-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Tha Magic have always been missing one thing: POWER FORWARD! Howard needs some help on the glass. He's about as close as this league has to a one-man rebounding team, but the bottom line is: Nobody is a one-man rebounding machine.

the Magic have had perimiter shooters, ball handlers, role players, but they need to be a little tougher on their perimiter defence and they need another double-digit rebounder.

Call up David West. The Magic would be a title contender with him on their roster.

J-Relo
06-28-2011, 08:53 AM

Noah + fillers wouldn't make it happen....

You should part ways with more pieces, Deng at least.

SteBO
06-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Dwight fits better with a Chris Paul type PG, because that way, he's guaranteed to get the touches he deserves. Call me crazy, but I can see CP3 in Orlando with Dwight. I'd hate it, since the Magic is in the Heats' division, but it could happen.

rapjuicer06
06-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Realistic yet good team, Perfect for Howard

Curry (good passer, great shooter)
Afflalo (good 3 point shot, good defender)
Iggy (great defense, great slasher, great finisher, good passer)
Odom (Great Point Forward, good rebounder, can do anything)
Dwight

That would be a perfect complimenting team put together right there. Unselfish players who all can score, and pass, and play defense

I-4_Fan
06-28-2011, 09:56 AM

Sorry, but that fact that you said trade Arenas like some team is just drooling for his contract makes this unrealistic alone.

I-4_Fan
06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Dwight needs a Gaurd that can make his own shots from outside the perimetter and in the paint. Kobe Bryant in his prime, T-mac in his prime, Wade, maybe Ellis, Arenas in his prime.

I would say the two best fits for him in todayts game would with out Doubt be Rose and Paul. I think he and Paul would be a better fit because I don't think Rose would have as good of a team chemestry with Howard as he does with Noah.

Noah understands that Rose is the franchise and face of the Bulls. Rose is humble and very down to earth, where is Howard wants to be the big man on campus and is very flachy and loves the hollywood life style.

This is why Otis Smith should of done everything he can do get CP3 last year. Paul and Howard go together like peas n carrots like Forrest Gump would say.

I think a perfect team would consist of these 5 players

Chriss Paul- A threat to find the open play or take it in himself. I don't need to say more.

Ray Allen- Sits on the line and waits for the kick back. Puts him in position to run to the other side of the court faster then every one else.

LeBron James- combination of size and speed makes him the most gifted player. But is really a 2nd threat and keeps the other team honest. When he is hot just give him the ball. But Chriss Paul is who this team is built around.

Kevin Love- No need to put stars or offensive thrats he. Second chance points wins the games more then turnovers and assist. With Love, you get a quiet guy who takes away 2nd chancepoints for the opposing team and gives 2nd chance points to his team.

Dwight Howard- The biggest athletic Player their is right now. With him and love blocking and rebounding, the other team will be forced to hit perimitter shots. He is electricity in a bottle with his ally-oops and massive dunks. He will get those in paint points and with Chriss Paul, he will getplenty of open looks to give teams dissasterice dunks. The Jrue Holliday poster will be a regular.

The three roll players I would pick would be

Derrick Rose- PG
Kobe Bryant- His leadership alone makes him great. But I think with his knees it would be best to come of the bench for Allen and James BUT TRUTH BE TOLD, if this was a real thing the he would start and Allen would come off the bench, because Bryant is too much of a competitor to come off the bench.
Blake Griffin- PF/C (Really Love would play Center if it He and Blake are on the floor)

eugene
06-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Would be good to see more realistic suggestions not like Howard, Dirk, James, Wade and Paul playing all together. This Miami team is a joke which never happened before. Hopefully it will not become a trend in the future. Gathering All-Star squad in one team really sucks

sevencastro
06-28-2011, 10:56 AM
ima go with an all defense team just for the fun of it lol

pg rondo
sg iguadola
sf j.smith
pf hartford
c howard

scary on defense no offense lol

PhillyFaninLA
06-28-2011, 11:05 AM
The type of players I would see Dwight working with the best. As for the specific players I picked I am picking players that as a 5 man unit not only compliment Dwight but each other as well and create a dominate starting 5 that would if real life not just speculation would work (not financially of course but stylistically).

PG: A gritty hard working defensive minded pass first guy...I think Deron Williams would be perfect for Dwight
SG: A player that can take over a game but doesn't need to be the guy all the time, someone that can score, defend and rebound a bit.....Manu Ginobili when healthy would be fantastic with Deron and would take pressure off of Dwight on the offensive end
SF: A player that will work hard and shut down just about anyone in the league, a player that can do everything at an above average but not elite level.....Andre Iguodala would stabilize your defense and give you a bit of everything else while being your 3rd or 4th scoring option
PF: A player that can score, take over a game, and grab you some rebounds and play good enough defense to not be a liability, a player that you know what you will get every night.....Dirk, because he is consistent, clutch, and unselfish, Dirk doesn't need to be the guy to be happy and with Manu's injury history Dirk can step up his scoring to when Manu is injured
C: Well this is a Dwight Howard thread so its him.

TChef02
06-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Gilbert Arenas' contract is going to be the reason Dwight can't win a championship in Orlando. You can't put enough talent around Dwight without the money to sign those players. The best fit for Dwight is something very similar to what they had a few years back with Nelson, Alston, Lee, Lewis, Pietrus, Hedo, etc. With any good center you need players that can spread the floor when he gets double teamed and a point guard who knows when to feed him the ball and when to feed the other players. You also need another player with some size to play at the 4 so that he doesn't get too beat up down there over the course of a season. I think if they would have stuck with that roster another year or at least something similar they may have had some success.

The only way Howard is winning at this point is if he leaves via free agency or Orlando finds some team crazy enough to trade for Gilbert's insane contract for an expiring deal of some kind.

Boston would be a great fit for Howard after next season when all the contracts for the older players like Allen and Garnett have expired but guys like Glen Davis, Rondo and Jeff Green will all be around still. If they draft smart the next year or two and sign the right guys I think they are an ideal fit for Howard.

FYI I am a Wizards fan so this isn't a homer scenario; I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible.

haggis
06-28-2011, 11:19 AM
ima go with an all defense team just for the fun of it lol

pg rondo
sg iguadola
sf j.smith
pf hartford
c howard

scary on defense no offense lol

:laugh2:

no one at that team could hit a jumpshot.

Swashcuff
06-28-2011, 11:27 AM
I see everyone talking about supporting casts but are ignoring the one thing that may be more important than supporting casts. System and defensive philosophy. Could you guys imagine a Dwight Howard led team coached or assistant coached by Coach Tibs?

That team would play right into Dwight's greatest strength. In today's NBA they'd be unstoppable defensively. Again I say 07-08 Celts minus Kendrick Perkins.

njnets
06-28-2011, 11:41 AM
alot of good posts so far that i like. do not want to quote all of them though.

it is pretty obvious that they need a PF who can do some rebounding. they spread the floor and made a lot of threes with lewis, but howard was asked to rebound way too much. he also had gortat then, a luxury that he does not have now. the PF needs to be able to hit an outside jumper though and spread the D a little. lewis is too much of an extreme that does not rebound enough.

a pass first pg is needed. nelson is good but they went to the finals with alston, who took less shots than nelson is my mind is correct. rose, paul, williams, etc. would be guys that would fit great with him.

a spot up shooter is needed, no question with that. the other wing needs to be able to drive and be able to do a little of everything, especially defense.

all of these have really never happened together. the closest was their finals run, but lewis is not a gritty enough PF to help dwight, leaving him to get every rebound and battle inside alone.

ichitownclowni
06-28-2011, 11:46 AM
D Rose

MagicHero3
06-28-2011, 11:52 AM
C: Dwight
PF: West
SF: Qrich
SG: Arenas
PG: CP3

GiantsSwaGG
06-28-2011, 11:53 AM

:facepalm:

ThornMo
06-28-2011, 12:23 PM
PG- Kemba Walker
SG- Gerald Henderson
SF-Bismack Biyombo
PF- Tyrus Thomas
C- Dwight Howard

samevans7
06-28-2011, 12:28 PM
smh at everyone saying

"Dwight should have a pass first point guard, like Deron Williams, Chris Paul, or Derrick Rose"

smh

those are scoring PGs.

This would be the best starting 5 for Dwight

C- Howard
PF- Chris Bosh/ Kevin Garnett

Bosh is a solid rebounder, but he is a very good mid range scorer. As is KG. Basically needed: a solid midrange shooting bigman.

SF- Paul Pierce

a well overall player. great outside shooting, solid mid range. very good from the FT line. plays pretty good D.

SG- Manu Ginobili

Very good shooter, plays great defense.

PG- Rajon Rondo

The ideal pass first point guard. With all the weapons on this team, they are really good. And Rondo is a defensive mastermind.

Howard
Bosh
Pierce
Ginobili
Rondo

That would be the best 5 for Dwight Howard

PhillyFaninLA
06-28-2011, 12:38 PM
smh at everyone saying

"Dwight should have a pass first point guard, like Deron Williams, Chris Paul, or Derrick Rose"

smh

those are scoring PGs.

This would be the best starting 5 for Dwight

C- Howard
PF- Chris Bosh/ Kevin Garnett

Bosh is a solid rebounder, but he is a very good mid range scorer. As is KG. Basically needed: a solid midrange shooting bigman.

SF- Paul Pierce

a well overall player. great outside shooting, solid mid range. very good from the FT line. plays pretty good D.

SG- Manu Ginobili

Very good shooter, plays great defense.

PG- Rajon Rondo

The ideal pass first point guard. With all the weapons on this team, they are really good. And Rondo is a defensive mastermind.

Howard
Bosh
Pierce
Ginobili
Rondo

That would be the best 5 for Dwight Howard

Rondo, Pierce, Garnett I take it your a Celtics fan.

DeyAce
06-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Bulls and Thunder would be perfect fits

sevencastro
06-28-2011, 12:46 PM
:laugh2:

no one at that team could hit a jumpshot.

yeah i know lol but the other team wld have a problem scoring to 70 lol while this team wld have a problem getting to 50 :)

blacknell
06-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Dallas mavericks the NBA champions

Federal Reserve
06-28-2011, 12:55 PM
There isn't a single team in the NBA that wouldn't substantially improve from having Howard on their team. This shouldn't even be a question.

nastynice
06-28-2011, 01:12 PM
I think this model would be perfect

PG - an athletic score first point guard with very good penetration and decent 3's (like monta ellis)
SG - a pure shooter (kyle korver)
SF - defensive minded player that can guard at the perimeter, can knock down open 3's (bruce bowen)
PF - good rebounder, demands the other team to put a big on him (dennis rodman)
C - the manchild, d howard

I know some of those guys retired, just putting there name to better explain what I mean. All Howard needs is one other superstar, the rest of the team can be solid to avg, they would be serious title contenders

rapjuicer06
06-28-2011, 01:15 PM
I think this model would be perfect

PG - an athletic score first point guard with very good penetration and decent 3's (like monta ellis)
SG - a pure shooter (kyle korver)
SF - defensive minded player that can guard at the perimeter, can knock down open 3's (bruce bowen)
PF - good rebounder, demands the other team to put a big on him (dennis rodman)
C - the manchild, d howard

I know some of those guys retired, just putting there name to better explain what I mean. All Howard needs is one other superstar, the rest of the team can be solid to avg, they would be serious title contenders

How about this

D. Williams
Ray Allen
Shane Battier
Reggie Evans
DH12

nastynice
06-28-2011, 01:21 PM
How about this

D. Williams
Ray Allen
Shane Battier
Reggie Evans
DH12

Yes, Battier would be perfect. Same with D will, although he's better at passing I've seen him take over games at times, and that was the main reason I put down score first pg. Howard needs someone else on the team that can take over a game from time to time so he can just focus on his strengths instead of having to do everything.

Solid list, I don't know bball the way I know football, thats why i had to use retired players lol. urs is better suited for present time

DR_1
06-28-2011, 04:26 PM
Rose
Ray Allen
Gay
Noah
Howard

papipapsmanny
06-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Really Wish the Wizards some how got him

Wall
Crawford
Vesely
Blatche
Howard

Wall/Howard would be sick

sadly he will never end up in D.C.

chitown85
06-28-2011, 06:08 PM
The Detroit Lions! Doesn't matter if he can play football or not, everyone should go to the Lions, just ask a Lions fan!
Impossible contract wise, but best fantasy team I can think of:
D. Rose
Kobe
Durant
D12
Dirk
No other five could stop this team (IMO).

elonepb
06-29-2011, 09:39 AM
I love how a ton of posts are "Not being a homer but the [my fav team] would be the best fit for Dwight".

Anyways, if it's about players, the two toughest spots to fill are true PG and true C. So matching up Howard to a CP3 or D-Will is probably the easy first choice. Not sure how compatible Rose and Dwight would be actually, but I'm sure they'd do well.

Definitely need a PF who has some range on his shot. Someone who can step out to 10-12 feet and knock it down consistently (Horford comes to mind. Brook Lopez would be good too from a shooting range perspective, but he's a defensive liability.)

SG should just be a 3 point specialist. All the attention will be down low on Howard, so any pure shooter will do (Allen, Morrow, Korver, Terry).

SF is more difficult... do you want someone who needs the ball (Pierce, Kobe, etc.) when you have a DWill/CP3 running the show? I'd say a Danny Granger type is a better fit here, or maybe a Josh Smith.

Heediot
06-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Boston Celtics for sure.

Heediot
06-29-2011, 09:55 AM
PG CP3
SG R. Allen
SF G. Wallce
PF D. West
C Dwight

Sick pick and rolls with Dwight and Cp3. Pick and Pop butter with cp3 and west.
Wallace for Perimeter defense and a viable 4th option, he can switch and guard the best wing for Ray Allen as well. Ray Allen for his spot up shooting, and off the ball skills, he is perfect for the cp3 penetration kick outs or when they double/triple Dwight and swing it to him for the open shot/trey.

Ignore previous post.

hugepatsfan
06-29-2011, 11:01 AM
I think the best fit at PG would be a "true PG" type that can run the pick and roll w/ Howard, but also get him the ball in good spots on the court. Also, if he could knock down open 3s that would be a huge help to prevent doubling off the point guard. Good defense is also a plus.

As for the SG spot, it depends on the SF spot. I think that one of them needs to be the go to perimeter scorer. He doesn't have to be the best defender because Dwight would help in that area. The other needs to be able to defend the other team's best perimeter player and knock down open 3s (again, to prevent doubling).

The PF spot is probably the trickiest to fill. The most important thing is that he has an outside shot to open up the paint for Dwight. A 3 point shot isn't necessary - a deep mid range game would do - but the 3 just further stretches out the defense. Good defense is a plus, but Dwight is good enough to somewhat mask weaker defense at PF (just look at ORL's defensive rankings w/ Rashard Lewis at PF all those years). As for rebounding, Dwight could mask some weaknesses, but the PF needs to be able to somewhat hold his own. I think this is the hardest of those spots to fill.

It's easy to site here and say CP3-Kobe-Durant-Dirk would be the best fit for Dwight. No ****ing **** that would work. I'm going to try and create a starting unit that actually takes some thought and fitting pieces together...

PG: CP3
SG: Kevin Martin
SF: Shane Battier
PF: Taj Gibson
C: Dwight

It would be really hard to double Dwight in that lineup. CP3, K-Mart, and Battier would all make you pay from the 3 point line. Gibson isn't a great mid range shooter, but he's good enough. CP3, Battier, and Gibson all play top notch defense. K-Mart isn't very good, but playing w/ 4 elite defenders would definately cover that up a bit. I think that team would win titles together.

gwrighter
06-29-2011, 11:10 AM
I would love to see Howard play with a stretch big. Dirk or Bargnani would be the best fit.

I would go with Bargs over Nowitzki though, Younger/more athletic.