PDA

View Full Version : Ex-NBA ref Donaghy talks 2007 Spurs-Suns series

210Don
06-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Mr donaghy gave a interview.
i don't beleive this buncha bs... and i wasn't gonna post it but its slow in here and no one can take away our 07 chip lol
heres what he says

Donaghy on whether the 2007 Spurs-Suns series was stolen from Phoenix:

TD: I write in the book that there's no doubt I feel the Phoenix Suns were the best team in in the league in 2007. And that whole series was officiated poorly, and I give the reasons in the book as to why I feel it was officiated poorly. And one of the reasons is that Tommy Nunez was the supervisor of officials in that series. And he had a dislike for the (Suns) owner Robert Sarver, and he enjoyed the lifestyle in San Antonio, and liked to get back in the next round of the playoffs and continue to go to San Antonio. So it was a situation that he was steering the series to San Antonio in tape sessions.

Donaghy on whether the series was gambled on by refs or if it just came down to poor officiating:

TD: People don't realize that at that time we weren't even betting any more because the guy who was involved in the scheme ended up going into rehab, so we were done betting at that time for about a month. So that was just a poorly officiated series from game one all the way until the last game.

Donaghy on the scuffle between Horry, Nash, Spurs and Suns:

TD: Certainly that was mishandled with the subjectivity of the league office as to whether to suspend somebody for doing what they did. Look at what happened with the Miami-Dallas game. Do you think they would have suspended all those players for a game 7? Had there been a game 7, with all those players leaving the bench area the way they did. The rule clearly states you can't leave the bench area to get involved in an altercation, whether the time out exists or not. In all reality, I doubt they would have suspended all of those players for a game 7. and I don't think it was handled properly with Phoenix in 2007.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-sports-guru/2011/06/tim-donaghy-details-how-nba-officials-league-allegedly-fix-games-exclusive-interview-part-3.html

he talks about other stuff too.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Not surprised.

JPHX
06-27-2011, 11:30 PM
why you gotta bring back bad memories? :( yeah we lost but it hurts to think that we could have went all the way if it werent for corrupted officiating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvkKdXLwt0U

Nash coulda had his ring. :cry:

210Don
06-27-2011, 11:35 PM
he clearly said it was not fixed & it was just poorly officiated......

thephoenixson28
06-27-2011, 11:37 PM
Dont remind us. Phoenix deserves a championship, and this is just adding injury to insult. We know that the game was called poorly. Not to mention the suspensions was also poorly decided. I just want to add one thing. Stern wants to inforce the rules, then tell me why rondo doesnt get suspended for game 7 against chicago when he slams hinrich into the scores board table.(Not to bash celtic fans) But I guess thats why people think that the NBA is rigged.

Byronicle
06-27-2011, 11:43 PM
didn't want to read it because i am still picking up the pieces :(

CowboysKB24
06-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Dont remind us. Phoenix deserves a championship, and this is just adding injury to insult. We know that the game was called poorly. Not to mention the suspensions was also poorly decided. I just want to add one thing. Stern wants to inforce the rules, then tell me why rondo doesnt get suspended for game 7 against chicago when he slams hinrich into the scores board table.(Not to bash celtic fans) But I guess thats why people think that the NBA is rigged.

No they don't. They didn't win so they don't deserve anything. Maybe if they played defense they would have had a better chance.

knightstemplar
06-27-2011, 11:56 PM
lets be real, if amare played in game 5 phoenix wins the series, amare was on par with duncan

210Don
06-27-2011, 11:58 PM
lets be real, if amare played in game 5 phoenix wins the series, amare was on par with duncan

you cant say they will or wont.....

JPHX
06-28-2011, 12:03 AM
No they don't. They didn't win so they don't deserve anything. Maybe if they played defense they would have had a better chance.

always the scapegoat when it comes to the suns. its was clear that whoever won game 5 would take the series. suns had all the momentum going into the game, but we played without our best two big men. its not lack of defense that lost us the series, it was the loss of Amare and Diaw.

thephoenixson28
06-28-2011, 12:04 AM

Go figure. When someone else dictates the outcome of the game its pretty difficult to win.Dont give me that phoenix didnt play no defense crap. Everyone on this board knlws phoenix shouldve won the championship that year including spurs fans.

210Don
06-28-2011, 12:05 AM
always the scapegoat when it comes to the suns. its was clear that whoever won game 5 would take the series. suns had all the momentum going into the game, but we played without our best two big men. its not lack of defense that lost us the series, it was the loss of Amare and Diaw.

i believe yall had a 20 point lead or something like that in game 6 and blew it without amare..... so yalls fault shulda take care of lead

210Don
06-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Go figure. When someone else dictates the outcome of the game its pretty difficult to win.Dont give me that phoenix didnt play no defense crap. Everyone on this board knlws phoenix shouldve won the championship that year including spurs fans.

no i dont know that because we beat you...
all signs pointed to a game 7 till yall choked a 20 point lead in game 6 your own fault

knightstemplar
06-28-2011, 12:06 AM

were talkin about amare stoudamire here, anyways suns had there chances in 05 and 06 and failed

thephoenixson28
06-28-2011, 12:11 AM
i believe yall had a 20 point lead or something like that in game 6 and blew it without amare..... so yalls fault shulda take care of leadOk now imagine it with amare and diaw. With two big men that we really needed. Playing marion at PF and C cmon now.

210Don
06-28-2011, 12:13 AM
Ok now imagine it with amare and diaw. With two big men that we really needed. Playing marion at PF and C cmon now.

you cant say that. because if you have them, the spurs mindset is different.. they went into that game thinking it be a cakewalk it wasn't, and didn't wake up till 2nd half. wouldn't have happen like that if they played

JPHX
we never had a 20 point lead. where the heck you get that from?? the game was close the whole time but being at home with a 3-2 series lead the spurs pulled away in the 4th. we didnt choke a big lead..

thephoenixson28
no i dont know that because we beat you...
all signs pointed to a game 7 till yall choked a 20 point lead in game 6 your own faultDont let the bias opinion get the best of you. We are talking about amare stoudemire here that was lighting up tim duncan.

JPHX
06-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Game 6 Play-by-Play:

1st Quarter (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=270518024&period=1)

2nd Quarter (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=270518024&period=2)

3rd Quarter (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=270518024&period=3)

4th Quarter (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playbyplay?gameId=270518024&period=4)

210Don
06-28-2011, 12:18 AM
we never had a 20 point lead. where the heck you get that from?? the game was close the whole time but being at home with a 3-2 series lead the spurs pulled away in the 4th. we didnt choke.

well the game where you guys lost i think it was game 5 you guys had a huge lead the one without amare not game 6 my bad

thephoenixson28
06-28-2011, 12:18 AM
If people voted on this board if the suns had amare and diaw do they make it past the spurs? 80% of this board would say yes, and the other 20% is either spurs fans or suns haters.

JPHX
06-28-2011, 12:19 AM
you cant say that. because if you have them, the spurs mindset is different.. they went into that game thinking it be a cakewalk it wasn't, and didn't wake up till 2nd half. wouldn't have happen like that if they played

wow you really think a professional basketball team as disciplined as the spurs would go into any playoff game thinking it would be a cakewalk?

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 12:19 AM

Ok, I agree with this statement to an extent. If amare plays the suns would have had a much much much better chance of winning. Better?

210Don
06-28-2011, 12:20 AM
wow you really think a professional basketball team as disciplined as the spurs would go into any playoff game thinking it would be a cakewalk?

well it certainly seemed that way looking at the way they played game 5.
and i remember even being scared that next game knowing the spurs could lose because of how fired up teh suns would be. we nearly did

210Don
06-28-2011, 12:21 AM
If people voted on this board if the suns had amare and diaw do they make it past the spurs? 80% of this board would say yes, and the other 20% is either spurs fans or suns haters.

well what can you do. you dont win chips off polls.

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 12:23 AM

The suns have haters?

But yeah, I think amare woulda helped. I'm not gonna say they woulda won, solely because I can't predict how things woulda gone for sure. But what happened was bs. (I am a bulls fan and I like both the suns and spurs, so don't even try to call me a homer on this.)

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 12:24 AM
well what can you do. you dont win chips off polls.

what is a chip? People who say this drive me crazy. Championship, so I can see ship. Chip sounds dumb and uneducated.

JPHX
06-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Bottom line is the spurs won. but i have no doubt it would have been a different ball game if amare and diaw played that pivitol game 5. The exiting the bench rule is ********. if the altercation was escalated then yeah throw the suspensions out. but if nothing happened and the coaches were able to contol their players then there was no suspension necessary. its just natural instinct what amare did.

thephoenixson28
06-28-2011, 12:32 AM
The suns have haters?

But yeah, I think amare woulda helped. I'm not gonna say they woulda won, solely because I can't predict how things woulda gone for sure. But what happened was bs. (I am a bulls fan and I like both the suns and spurs, so don't even try to call me a homer on this.)Yes they do haha. I just dont like seeing in both of our eyes cuz both of us seem bias. But amare and diaw were difference makers, and it wouldve been alot different. If it was someone like perkins for the celtics a couple years ago, then my attitude would be alot different, but we are talking one of the top PFs in the NBA at that time. Not to mention diaw triple double machine. To say the spurs acted like it was a cakewalk IMO is a copout. Cuz I think no team in the NBA playoffs down 3-2 would ever play half *** when avoiding elimination.

gaughan333
Bottom line is the spurs won. but i have no doubt it would have been a different ball game if amare and diaw played that pivitol game 5. The exiting the bench rule is ********. if the altercation was escalated then yeah throw the suspensions out. but if nothing happened and the coaches were able to contol their players then there was no suspension necessary. its just natural instinct what amare did.

Don't get me wrong, I think what happened was questionable, but my biggest problem with this issue and a lot of the issues that come up in the NBA is consistency. If it's a rule, then every player who breaks it should be suspended. If it is not then, don't suspend them. It should not be up to the referees to pick and choose when a rule applies.

Arch Stanton
Is this guy gonna be like Jose Canseco ratting out all the refs in some book. Then we can call it the "Gambling Era."

Joshtd1
Spurs won 3 outta 4 games with Amare and Diaw, whos to say that they couldnt have won 4 out of 4 with them. If anything I think it might have gone 7, and who knows what woulda/coulda happened.

210Don
06-28-2011, 12:33 AM
what is a chip? People who say this drive me crazy. Championship, so I can see ship. Chip sounds dumb and uneducated.

alot of people say it.... and i started saying it cuz the pistons used to say it lol

JPHX
06-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think what happened was questionable, but my biggest problem with this issue and a lot of the issues that come up in the NBA is consistency. If it's a rule, then every player who breaks it should be suspended. If it is not then, don't suspend them. It should not be up to the referees to pick and choose when a rule applies.

IMO the league office is just as guilty of inconsistencies as the refs.

OC Knights #11
06-28-2011, 12:35 AM
This is why I am not sad about the possibility of no NBA this coming fall. The league needs a serious face lift.

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Yes they do haha. I just dont like seeing in both of our eyes cuz both of us seem bias. But amare and diaw were difference makers, and it wouldve been alot different. If it was someone like perkins for the celtics a couple years ago, then my attitude would be alot different, but we are talking one of the top PFs in the NBA at that time. Not to mention diaw triple double machine. To say the spurs acted like it was a cakewalk IMO is a copout. Cuz I think no team in the NBA playoffs down 3-2 would ever play half *** when avoiding elimination.

I am confused about the bolded part?

I would disagree, perkins length really helped against the lakers, I think that is a bad example. But to say that they thought it would be a cake walk is a cop out. No offense.

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 12:39 AM
IMO the league office is just as guilty of inconsistencies as the refs.

I would disagree with your statement 0%. You think I believe we legitimately got that derrick rose pick with our like 1.8% chance? (or whatever)

thephoenixson28
06-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think what happened was questionable, but my biggest problem with this issue and a lot of the issues that come up in the NBA is consistency. If it's a rule, then every player who breaks it should be suspended. If it is not then, don't suspend them. It should not be up to the referees to pick and choose when a rule applies. Its a stupid rule and should be a exception. To just have a foot on the court then get pulled back without doing anything. Isnt something wrong with that picture.

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 12:40 AM
alot of people say it.... and i started saying it cuz the pistons used to say it lol

is it a shorter version of c-ship? I'm sorry, I hate it as much as people using good instead of well (personal thing haha)

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 12:42 AM
210, I'm not trying to start anything at all, but how do you feel about heat players not getting ejected for the same thing, or other times that it has happened? (I'm not being a bulls homer here, I fully expected us to lose that series, the inconsistency just drives me up the wall)

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 12:45 AM
Its a stupid rule and should be a exception. To just have a foot on the court then get pulled back without doing anything. Isnt something wrong with that picture.

To preface-Not attacking you. However, I don't care if there is something wrong. Just please call it the same. If it is a violation, I can live with it if it's called consistently. I feel that if it was, players/coaches would watch it much closer. It happens a lot and is not called.

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Is this guy gonna be like Jose Canseco ratting out all the refs in some book. Then we can call it the "Gambling Era."

Dude's trying to sell copies, notice how he keeps saying things like "as I brought up in the book"

JPHX
210, I'm not trying to start anything at all, but how do you feel about heat players not getting ejected for the same thing, or other times that it has happened? (I'm not being a bulls homer here, I fully expected us to lose that series, the inconsistency just drives me up the wall)

is there a clip of what happened? i probably missed it.

thephoenixson28
210, I'm not trying to start anything at all, but how do you feel about heat players not getting ejected for the same thing, or other times that it has happened? (I'm not being a bulls homer here, I fully expected us to lose that series, the inconsistency just drives me up the wall)Exactly. Be consistent if its the rule, but like I said thats why so much people think the NBA is rigged.

Lakerhead4ever
06-28-2011, 12:47 AM
that was the suns one and only chance lol oh well life goes on

gotoHcarolina52
Donaghy is a larcenist, a rat, and a b - ch. I hope they stick a frozen porcupine us his worthless ***.

pastrecedes
Yo Suns fanz, you guys should just jump ship and be a Mavs fan like me! being a Mavs fan was the best thing that ever happened to me! woo! Go Mavs!

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Spurs won 3 outta 4 games with Amare and Diaw, whos to say that they couldnt have won 4 out of 4 with them. If anything I think it might have gone 7, and who knows what woulda/coulda happened.
I'm sorry for all the posts and not multi-quoting my internet is slow. But this is what I was trying to bring up. I don't know if they would have changed it, but the way it was called is kinda bs if its not consistent. But can you admit saying they thought it was a cake walk is a pretty poor excuse?

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 12:51 AM
is there a clip of what happened? i probably missed it.

I'm sure there is, but I don't really know where to find it. The heat had called a time out and there was a disagreement (physical) and bench players got involved. It was ok though because their was a time out called.

thephoenixson28
06-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Im assuming this one jphx

http://youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=UYa8Z4MTLds

thephoenixson28
06-28-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm sure there is, but I don't really know where to find it. The heat had called a time out and there was a disagreement (physical) and bench players got involved. It was ok though because their was a time out called.The rules states that it doesnt matter if a time out was called.

thephoenixson28
06-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Yo Suns fanz, you guys should just jump ship and be a Mavs fan like me! being a Mavs fan was the best thing that ever happened to me! woo! Go Mavs!Never will happen.Not a bandwagon fan.

topdog
06-28-2011, 12:58 AM
That Cheapshot Rob incident definitely was total BS by the league, but I don't care to hear about it from a guy who's trying to stay in the limelight and make money off it.

Sandman
06-28-2011, 01:00 AM

Haven't they been pretty consistent with that? I remember Knicks-Heat in the 90s they had to separate suspensions so teams would have enough players.

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 01:00 AM
The rules states that it doesnt matter if a time out was called.

Haha, I know, I looked it up because my friends wouldn't believe it.

pastrecedes
06-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Never will happen.Not a bandwagon fan.

yeah i'm not a bandwagon fan either! i just like to be a fan of the best team in the nba! ya know how it is right? ;)

210Don

well if you look back on it. the suns got off that bench lookin to start some trouble they wanted to fight. they ran off the bench and other players havent done.

gaughan333
Haven't they been pretty consistent with that? I remember Knicks-Heat in the 90s they had to separate suspensions so teams would have enough players.

They WERE. In recent times I have seen times where it wasn't enforced. I know, this is just my word because I have no proof. So I will admit you can take it as you would like. I watch a lot of NBA though. Not even just my team, my friends had the NBA pass or whatever it was called.

thephoenixson28
06-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Haha, I know, I looked it up because my friends wouldn't believe it.Haha it says it in the posted article by 210don

JPHX
06-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Im assuming this one jphx

http://youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=UYa8Z4MTLds

link didnt work for me :(

whats the title of the vid?

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 01:05 AM
well if you look back on it. the suns got off that bench lookin to start some trouble they wanted to fight. they ran off the bench and other players havent done.

That is your interpretation. Again, if a player gets involved, they got involved. I can see what you mean, but I think it is one of those rules that needs to be enforced regardless of what a player may have been trying to do.

thephoenixson28
06-28-2011, 01:05 AM
well if you look back on it. the suns got off that bench lookin to start some trouble they wanted to fight. they ran off the bench and other players havent done.Hahaha look at that video one more time.

gaughan333
06-28-2011, 01:06 AM
Haha it says it in the posted article by 210don

I meant to say, I looked it up when it occurred, sorry for the lack of clarity.

Bishnoff
06-28-2011, 01:14 AM

This.

What annoys me most is that the NBA set a precedent with these suspensions, but have rarely ruled the same way since. It wrecked the series then and I only hope that recent rulings have been due to common sense and not some form of bias. Amaríe and Diaw should never have been suspended but I donít believe that the officiating had any overt impact on the outcome of the series.

Lakers + Giants
06-28-2011, 01:20 AM
Moral Champions! 02 Kings, 07 Suns. Happy?

JPHX
06-28-2011, 01:22 AM
not until we get our moral rings. :)

thephoenixson28
06-28-2011, 01:28 AM
not until we get our moral rings. :)

And our moral banner.

Nirvanaskurdt
06-28-2011, 01:33 AM
Worst officiated game I've ever seen :facepalm: :pity:

Bishnoff
06-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Moral Champions! 02 Kings, 07 Suns. Happy?

Right now I'd be happy just knowing what direction the Suns FO are taking and what their plans are for the future.

BluejaysFan08
06-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Why does anyone listen to this guy anymore...like its such a waste of time