PDA

View Full Version : Worst Selection: Taking Darko #2 over Melo, Wade, Bosh or Taking Oden over Durant?

JordansBulls
06-27-2011, 05:24 PM
Which was a worse selection: Taking Darko #2 over Melo, Wade, Bosh or Taking Oden over Durant?

Edit: Added in the Marvin Williams over CP3 and Deron as well.

210Don
06-27-2011, 05:27 PM
darko over melo & wade
Detroit would still be having a great run. they gave away 10 years of excellence

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Why does it seem this question gets asked all the time(not on here but everywhere)? But I'd say Darko.

ValuePick
06-27-2011, 05:30 PM
Darko for sure, at least Oden had a chance at being a good NBA player.

SportsFanatic10
06-27-2011, 05:34 PM
darko....detroit really blew it there.

Matrix3132
06-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Darko for sure, at least Oden had a chance at being a good NBA player.

Everyone drafted has the "chance" to be a good nba player...

The differences between great/bad pro players is 90% mental and I don't think Detroit handled his career properly, the #2 pick needs a chance to play and make mistakes which darko didn't have (thus, "arguably" destroying his confidence/potential for maybe his whole career). He's still a bust but just saying....

Hustlenomics
06-27-2011, 05:38 PM
thought about Darko, but they atleast won a championship after that mistake. I forgot marvin Williams was even in the league for a second and the Hawks are a piece away from making it farther so not picking Dwill or Cp3 hurt them.

Hawkeye15
06-27-2011, 05:39 PM
I was honestly tempted to select the Marvin Williams pick because I think Atlanta would have been a contender for the last 5 years.

But it has to be Darko, considering what was drafted after him. When you add that we are about to enter year 9 of his suckitude, it beats out Oden, who could still be really good if he ever gets healthy.

Tony_Starks
06-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Darko by a landslide.

bahama0811
06-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Darko for sure.

haggis
06-27-2011, 05:45 PM
They're all really tough, all of those teams that messed up had solid cores to draft around:

'03 Pistons ECF Loss in '02
'05 Hawks after acquiring JJ and drafting JSmoove
'07 Blazers after Roy's ROY campaign

The Pistons were set for awhile if they could have gotten a superstar contributor to go along with that Championship core.

CP3 would have looked really nice having Joe Johnson and Josh Smith Around him.

The Blazers were on the brink of becoming "The Next Big Thing" at that point.

Gotta be Darko though.

Gators123
06-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Who knows if the Pistons win a championship if they had drafted Melo? Pistons won because defense and they were a great TEAM. Adding Melo would've made them a worse defensive team.

It would be worse if the Pistons were a bad team after they drafted Darko. That wasn't the case at all.

t2a2e9j12
06-27-2011, 05:50 PM
darko with those chioces but worst one is sam bowie over some guy named mike jordan i yhink that is his name

Swashcuff
06-27-2011, 05:52 PM
I see nothing wrong with the Darko or Oden being taken ahead of those respective players before the draft. Coming into the draft those players were the consensus #1 and #2 picks respectively. IMO had Greg Oden stayed healthy his Blazers would have been the best team in the West. A bit unfortunate of the Blazers part.

nycsports2
06-27-2011, 05:53 PM
easily darko imo

Gators123
06-27-2011, 05:53 PM
I see nothing wrong with the Darko or Oden being taken ahead of those respective players before the draft. Coming into the draft those players were the consensus #1 and #2 picks respectively. IMO had Greg Oden stayed healthy his Blazers would have been the best team in the West. A bit unfortunate of the Blazers part.

People always seem to forget that.

pd1dish
06-27-2011, 05:54 PM
darko with those chioces but worst one is sam bowie over some guy named mike jordan i yhink that is his name

i agree with you. the funny thing is that Portland is the victim of not picking MJ and Durant.

but, given the choices in the poll, i went with Darko over Melo, Wade, Bosh because no one saw this coming with Oden and everyone knew that Oden and Durant were going #1 and #2 either way. Oden looked like he was going to be the next best center to enter the league. he was so big and powerful, it looked like he was going to be a for sure thing and was going to make an impact in the NBA immediately.

NYtilIdie
06-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Oden over Durant because at least Darko can walk.

kgjfan243
06-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Taking Darko over Melo, Wade, and Bosh. Imagine if Detroit took either of them. They won the title the next year in 2004 and could have built a dynasty with any of the 3 guys picked right after him. That pick could have cost the Pistons 1-3 titles.

thenetslegend
06-27-2011, 05:56 PM
darko but honestly not by much. pistons won a championship after that mistake. hawks are not even close to winning one anymore, but i have to go with darko cause they couldve won more with wade or melo

Gators123
06-27-2011, 05:57 PM
i agree with you. the funny thing is that Portland is the victim of not picking MJ and Durant.

but, given the choices in the poll, i went with Darko over Melo, Wade, Bosh because no one saw this coming with Oden and everyone knew that Oden and Durant were going #1 and #2 either way. Oden looked like he was going to be the next best center to enter the league. he was so big and powerful, it looked like he was going to be a for sure thing and was going to make an impact in the NBA immediately.

Not true. Darko was the consensus #2 pick.

kgjfan243
06-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Also, when is Portland going to go with the talented scorer rather than drafting an injury prone center?

Swashcuff
06-27-2011, 06:03 PM
People always seem to forget that.

The potential upside with Darko was undeniable. Had he turn into the player he was expected to become he would have been a top 30 player in the league today. That didn't happen and well we see the result.

kobebabe
06-27-2011, 06:08 PM
darko fosho and its not even close

dodie53
06-27-2011, 06:08 PM
oden.

Swashcuff
06-27-2011, 06:14 PM
To those who forgot that coming into the draft that Darko was consensus #2 with some scouts (more like knuckleheads) thinking he should have been chosen ahead of LeBron James.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1027846/2/index.htm

One scout counted at least 10 times that James failed to get back on defense. Added one G.M., "You have to worry that his sense of entitlement is so great after being spoiled by the AAU system, the agents and all the publicity."

There are no such worries about the potential No. 2 pick, Darko Milicic of Yugoslavia, who sleeps on a pullout bed, is warmed by a space heater and earns approximately $20,000 for the small club Hemofarm. A 7-foot lefthander with size-18 feet, Milicic can do it all—score inside and outside, run the floor, pass and block shots.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1028344/index.htm

He’s going to be the Number 3 pick in the draft [after LeBron James and Darko Milicic] because he’s a throwback guy with the skills to play multiple positions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1028792/index.htm

But several years of fishing by the NBA has depleted the talent pool. Other than 7-foot Darko Milicic, an 18-year-old from Serbia-Montenegro who will probably be one of the top three picks, there is no player overseas perceived as a safe choice.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/story?id=1572845

Darko is really one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots the NBA 3 and plays with his back to the basket, so you can slot him in at the 3, 4 or 5 positions. OK, a few other guys can do that too; what sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post. You have to love a guy who has the footwork to spin by an opponent but still prefers to lower a shoulder and bang. Fact is, Milicic plays in attack-mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back. While he won’t be asked to carry the Pistons, he’s capable of doing this earlier than you think.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1028152/index.htm

"He has the makings of the most dominant center in Europe since Arvydas Sabonis," says an NBA scout who isn’t sure that James should be picked ahead of Milicic.

Hindsight is a hell of a thing isn't it. :laugh2:

daleja424
06-27-2011, 06:18 PM
the Darko pick was BY FAR the worst of that bunch... BY FAR

Cracka2HI!
06-27-2011, 06:20 PM
This shouldn't even be a question. Yes Darko was ranked high but a lot of people thought he would be a bust and I can't imagine taking a Euro player over Wade, Bosh and Melo.

Oden on the other hand was in the 2 prospects to come out in the last decade. Teams would have been split on who to pick between Oden and Lebron. Portland would have been foolish to take Durant.

DeyAce
06-27-2011, 06:22 PM
enes kanter the next darko

Cracka2HI!
06-27-2011, 06:22 PM
As far as a pure bust, who's career wasn't destroyed by injury. It's really between Darko and Olowakandi.

Swashcuff
06-27-2011, 06:26 PM
This shouldn't even be a question. Yes Darko was ranked high but a lot of people thought he would be a bust and I can't imagine taking a Euro player over Wade, Bosh and Melo.

Really? From all that I remembered and read most NBA execs were higher on Darko than they were on Melo, Bosh and Wade.

Milicic is just 17 years old. Yet he feels he's ready to make an impact in the NBA now. Most NBA teams agree. Unfortunately for Milicic, NBA commissioner David Stern doesn't.

Slimsim
06-27-2011, 06:27 PM
cp3 JJ Josh and al hord would had been deadly

Rapsjaysleafs
06-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Most 2003 Mock Drafts I have seen have D.Wade going 9-13. I didnt realize he was slatted that low.

Good pick up by Miami.

We should go through and see which draft pick over the years was worth the reach, such as Wade 7-10 spots higher than expected.

thenetslegend
06-27-2011, 06:30 PM
cp3 JJ Josh and al hord would had been deadly

if cp3 was there al horford would not be

MrfadeawayJB
06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Darko easily

Swashcuff
06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Most 2003 Mock Drafts I have seen have D.Wade going 9-13. I didnt realize he was slatted that low.

Good pick up by Miami.

We should go through and see which draft pick over the years was worth the reach, such as Wade 7-10 spots higher than expected.

He was seen as the biggest surprise pick of the draft. Pat Riley wanted to draft a player who could contribute right away.

Rapsjaysleafs
06-27-2011, 06:35 PM
That draft is Talented!!
You know when Perkins and Barbosa go Second and Third last in the first round its a deep draft.
They are no starts, but mighty fine players to go that late.

Clutch1
06-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Obvisouly if the pistons took one of the 3 (preferably Wade or Melo) they most likely would have won atleast 4 championships since the draft. But in their defense it wasnt like Darko was a pick from outta nowhere. I guarentee everyone else in the league would have taken Darko number one if Lebron did go to college. Hell the cavs were even close to taking him and if LBJ wasnt from Ohio Darko probably would hva ebeen the pick.

Raidaz4Life
06-27-2011, 06:39 PM
I say Oden since it looks as if his career might be done soon and I still think Durant has a ridiculously high ceiling that has yet to be tapped into.

Lucky Junior
06-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Hate to be repetitive, but it's Darko. Oden was the second best prospect that year, and got a bump because he's 7 foot, 285 lbs. I still think it was horrible to pick him over what I personally think was the best college player in the generation. But Darko looked like a long shot from the gate. To pick him over a guy who just WON the national championship as a freshman, and wasn't being projected too far behind Lebron... that's craziness.

Not gonna lie, I almost said Marvin because I remember being soooo sure they were gonna draft CP3, trade for Chandler, and then be dominate for the next 10 years. But all of that is speculation after all. Maybe they neer get a center, and end up being a 6 seed for the next 7 years. Let's not forget how much drafting Horford the next year helped them out.

TomahawkChop 10
06-27-2011, 06:43 PM
With my biased answer... Taking Williams over Deron and CP3. Hawks could be a legit championship team with either of the 2 PG's. Instead they have a good for nothing SF. But I guess if we had either DW or CP3 we would not have gotten the #3 draft pick and took Horford, but a team with JJ, J-Smoove, and CP3 would be killer.

tyfreaks brotha
06-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Darko no question

broncosfan4eva
06-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Darko with Williams falling in second

Dash
06-27-2011, 06:56 PM
In the long run it's Darko, but say we drafted D-Wade or Melo, who knows if Detroit would have won the tittle.

KnicksR4Real
06-27-2011, 07:00 PM
not even close lol. darko.

JWO35
06-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Darko getting drafted 2nd overall
If the pick was either Melo, Wade, or Bosh the Pistons could have formed a Dynasty winning multiple Championships and potentially being a Contender Today...I knew if Darko wasn't going to pan out it would hurt them down the line, and now the effects of the Darko pick is weighing on the Pistons today.

Most picks like this would set teams back 5yrs on the spot, the irony about the Darko pick is that its just now hurting the Pistons...

MTar786
06-27-2011, 07:09 PM
if detroit took wade they would have won in 05, and/or 06 and 07 too. boston would still have won 08, the lakers would have beaten detroit in 09 and by 10 detroit would have been rebiulding or been competing with different pieces.

that 4 titles and 3 more than they ended up with

detroit with one of the best nba finals players ever in wade would have been INSANE and unfair.

Raoul Duke
06-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Darko was the worst, Williams over CP3 and D-Will was a very close second, and Oden over Durant is the least offensive of the mistakes. At least with Oden there was some evidence that he could be a very dominant center. Durant/Oden was a pretty tough choice to make after watching Oden's last college game.

AnalyzeNShoot
06-27-2011, 07:10 PM
By far Darko.

I would still take Oden over durant no budy knew he was gone be haunted by his injuries this bad. If healthy Oden > Durant simply because centers with talent like his are very hard to find. Too bad his injured.

Bosh or Wade can be justified cuz at the time raps had VC and they want to build around him and needed a big.

ragee
06-27-2011, 07:28 PM
What was Darko's draft profile back then? Was he really expected to be drafted that high?

Gators123
06-27-2011, 07:31 PM
What was Darko's draft profile back then? Was he really expected to be drafted that high?

Yes, Read post #26

Mplsman
06-27-2011, 07:37 PM
They are all bad situations, but yes, I'd probably have to go with Darko because of how much talent ended up coming out of that draft.

Raoul Duke
06-27-2011, 07:37 PM

He was the top rated big in the draft. My memory isn't the best, but I remember the talking heads giving Dumars an A for the draft saying he got the best big, and I remember he was supposedly an off-the-charts athlete who tested equal to or better than everyone on our roster on almost everything. Evidently he just has no basketball instincts, though. Maybe he'd be a great tennis player?

I also remember thinking before the draft about how sweet Wade and Melo were and how excited I was for us to get one of them, and then outta nowhere I started hearing about this Serbian kid named Darko, and I'm all "man I hope we don't take that guy". And then we took him. ****.

JordansBulls
06-27-2011, 07:52 PM
I said the Darko one is last because at least Detroit still ended up with a title in the process even with Darko.

Il Mago50
06-27-2011, 08:04 PM
I stick by my opinion that Darko would be an all-star center had he ended up anywhere else where he could've played from day one.

He came into the league and then proceeded to sit on the bench for 3 years and playing 5 minutes a game when he did come in (30-40 games a year). I think that killed his work ethic, his drive and it totally halted his development as a player.

Do you think Wade would've become the player he is today if he was sat for 3 years? No.

Would Bosh? No.

He would've been a poor man's Pau Gasol with better defense had he been developed properly and I'd take that over Bosh at the very least any day of the week.

Lucky Junior
06-27-2011, 08:27 PM
In the long run it's Darko, but say we drafted D-Wade or Melo, who knows if Detroit would have won the tittle.

Honestly, I think (and thought) that Bosh would have been a perfect fit. Sheed could play some 5, so short term Bosh could come in and be an offensive threat, and gives those guys some rest. I think they'd make him a better defender, and he'd of kept them healthier longer.

Raoul Duke
06-27-2011, 08:39 PM
I said the Darko one is last because at least Detroit still ended up with a title in the process even with Darko.

I'm happy with my team and I don't blame Dumars for taking the concensus guy, but I still have to acknowledge that it was a really bad pick. There were three proven guys there and we took the 17 year old who had played a handful of games.

Maybe he'd have been better if he'd played steady minutes from day one. It would have sucked to take Melo and then watch him force a trade to NY, or to take Bosh and have him take his *****-*** to South beach.

blastmasta26
06-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Darko is the worst pick in hindsight, but in context I think it's Marvin Williams.

Oden over Durant was not a bad pick, his injury issues were not anticipated and he has the ability to be a dominant center.

Darko at the time was also very hyped and believed to have great potential.

Marvin Williams, however, was said to have potential was a question mark and many at the time criticized the move. I remember watching the draft and after the Hawks' selection, Dick Vitale said something along the lines of, "The Hawks will regret passing on Chris Paul."

Darko and Oden were consensus picks at the time, Marvin Williams had some controversy and that makes him the worst pick of the group to me.

blastmasta26
06-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm happy with my team and I don't blame Dumars for taking the concensus guy, but I still have to acknowledge that it was a really bad pick. There were three proven guys there and we took the 17 year old who had played a handful of games.

Maybe he'd have been better if he'd played steady minutes from day one. It would have sucked to take Melo and then watch him force a trade to NY, or to take Bosh and have him take his *****-*** to South beach.
I don't know, Detroit probably could have gotten another title with Melo or Bosh off the bench, and that alone could prevent their departure.

R.I.P.#34
06-27-2011, 08:41 PM
Went with Atlanta because I felt it was obvious at the time that they needed a pg, yet still picked Marvin Williams.

NYKalltheway
06-27-2011, 08:47 PM
you can't say Oden... It's Darko easily coz Darko was never anything special (not sure why he was highly rated) while Oden has great upside and was a beast who could transform into a defensive tower. It was #1-2 with either Durant and him. Darko was never top 5 prospect from that year. Lebron, Wade, Melo, Bosh... Darko is not the missing 5th guy!

AntiG
06-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Darko easily. Oden was an elite, elite center prospect, and got picked over a freshman. He busted due to health. Darko busted due to lack of elite talent, and was selected over the player that singlehandedly led his team to the NCAA championship.

Rosh
06-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Darko, EASILY.

SteBO
06-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Easily Darko......

Cracka2HI!
06-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Really? From all that I remembered and read most NBA execs were higher on Darko than they were on Melo, Bosh and Wade.You're defenitely right about Wade. I forgot that he was ranked lower. Not sure about Bosh, but I think most of the league would have picked Melo over Darko and when comparing how big of "busts" the two were there is no comparision. Like I said Oden was probably the 2nd best prospect to come out the last decade. Maybe 1st.

NBAfan4life
06-27-2011, 09:53 PM
I voted Darko only because of how great any of the three other choices could of been. We were pretty certain Melo was going to be great, then add in Wade or Bosh. They were very unlucky and there happend to be talent everywhere but where they picked.

Raph12
06-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Well Wade was the best player mentioned and Darko was the worst, makes this decision pretty easy...

tbuk100
06-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Darko- no doubt about it.

Atl would have been better served with the team it had getting an established PG rather than a back up SF/PF. That move made no sense at all. But, as another poster mentioned, they're still making waves in the playoffs, so it's not a total disaster.

Portland gets hammered, but if you look at the team they had, they needed a C. Taking Oden 1st over another SG/SF made sense for them at that time with the team they had. Hindsight being what it is now, it's a terrible move because Oden can't stay healthy. But if Oden had stayed healthy, been a double double with 2+ blocks per game playing next to Aldridge, then it's a brillant move. You can't predict health issues. Besides, who knows how well Durant develops playing under Roy's shadow.

That being said, without a doubt, Darko was the worst draft pick. Why not take Bosh over Darko? Bosh was more proven while Darko was a question mark.

KingPosey
06-27-2011, 10:36 PM
The Darko pick was ****ing terrible when you see that Wade, Melo and Bosh were there. Any other possible choice at #2 would be a franchise type player, and they picked a guy that doesnt even really belong in the NBA. (I dont give a **** that he averaged 8 points a game this year either.)

I have no clue why every liked Darko SO much. Sometimes its easy to watch the media and "talent evaluators" completely bandwagon a player so they arent on the outside, and they are all idiots.

They did it with Rubio too, you will see.

Apophis
06-27-2011, 10:38 PM
Darko.... Oden was just an injury thing... Darko is just a bust...and besides... Alot more better choices after Darko than the Oden one...

jrm2054
06-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Darko is worst hen WIlliams over CP3 and deron Oden still can be good if he can play one year

justinnum1
06-27-2011, 10:43 PM
darko easily

Khalifa21
06-27-2011, 11:17 PM
The thing with the Blazers and Hawks picks is both teams have still experienced increased success after these 'mistakes'... No doubt adding CP3 to the Hawks would've taken them to the next level or adding Durant to the Blazers would've had them contending in the West, but both teams were still able to steadily improve their teams.

The Pistons are know at a stage of mediocrity which they will be in for the next 4-5 years presumably. They experienced no improvement (minus the immediate championship they won with Darko, obviously not down to his contributions) and since their key players have either declined or left via trades or free agency, they have been a shell of their former selves before the pick. The Hawks and Blazers are still in position to make the playoffs in their respective conferences.

So for these reasons I would have to go with the Darko pick. And to think he was drafted before THREE top players is even more evidence it's gotta be this one.

JoAc
06-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Okay Marvin Williams without a doubt here. I went back to his college stats to make sure my memory was correct. I remember the year he came out and I said to myself that is stupid. He was not even a starter at North Carolina and people projected him so high because of his potential growth. CP3 was killing the ACC that year with his offense and defense.

avon_barksdale
06-28-2011, 10:50 AM
darko. at least oden be a beast when he aint hurt and marvin can start and wont kill the squad

the d ****ed up that pick real bad

LakersIn5
06-28-2011, 10:52 AM
i voted for marvin williams just because the hawks really needed a PG badly and yet they went for another SF. the pistons needed a PF so they went with darko. yeah bosh was still available but they thought darko had more potential. as for oden. ehhh its a toss up.

theheatles
06-28-2011, 10:54 AM
i really wanted to vote for someone other than darko but thats impossible

Raoul Duke
06-28-2011, 11:05 AM
The thing with the Blazers and Hawks picks is both teams have still experienced increased success after these 'mistakes'... No doubt adding CP3 to the Hawks would've taken them to the next level or adding Durant to the Blazers would've had them contending in the West, but both teams were still able to steadily improve their teams.

The Pistons are know at a stage of mediocrity which they will be in for the next 4-5 years presumably. They experienced no improvement (minus the immediate championship they won with Darko, obviously not down to his contributions) and since their key players have either declined or left via trades or free agency, they have been a shell of their former selves before the pick. The Hawks and Blazers are still in position to make the playoffs in their respective conferences.
So for these reasons I would have to go with the Darko pick. And to think he was drafted before THREE top players is even more evidence it's gotta be this one.

That part I bolded bothers me. To say that Detroit did worse than those two teams by winning a championship, making it to the finals twice and being one of the last four teams standing in the playoffs for six straight years is ridiculous. Darko was the worst of the three picks, but Atlanta and Portland have performed worse since their mistakes then we did after ours.

mats13--
06-28-2011, 11:11 AM
niether of those selections is a bad selection, because they were consesnus picks, no matter who was picking they wouldve taken oden first and darko second, so at the time the pick was the rite one. A bad pick is when a team goes off the board to fill a need, and it ends up biting them in the ***, like when the Raps picked Arujo over Iguodala.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Who knows if the Pistons win a championship if they had drafted Melo? Pistons won because defense and they were a great TEAM. Adding Melo would've made them a worse defensive team.

It would be worse if the Pistons were a bad team after they drafted Darko. That wasn't the case at all.

Chauncey
Rip
Melo/Tayshawn
Rasheed
Ben Wallace

Wouldn't be a good defensive team? You're outta your mind. The Melo can't play defense is easily becoming the most overused, and overrated statement on PSD.

Lone Maverick
06-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Oden over Durant for me pretty easily. Always hearing about Oden's potential which I agree is there but at least Darko is playing and has had some pretty good games. Bottom line Darko on the court is worth more to me than Oden in the rehab facility.

Swashcuff
06-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Chauncey
Rip
Melo/Tayshawn
Rasheed
Ben Wallace

Wouldn't be a good defensive team? You're outta your mind. The Melo can't play defense is easily becoming the most overused, and overrated statement on PSD.

THAT Melo was MUCH worst defensively than this Carmelo who is below average when he doesn't try.

With Larry Brown as the head coach no way was Melo going to start. Had they drafted Melo the most likely would have traded the pick or relegate him to bench duty. Larry Brown is notorious for the dislike of playing rookies.

Khalifa21
06-28-2011, 12:16 PM
That part I bolded bothers me. To say that Detroit did worse than those two teams by winning a championship, making it to the finals twice and being one of the last four teams standing in the playoffs for six straight years is ridiculous. Darko was the worst of the three picks, but Atlanta and Portland have performed worse since their mistakes then we did after ours.

Because the Pistons were in a position to win before the pick. They just came off a 50 win season and a trip to the ECF's the season before. They weren't in rebuilding mode... Whereas the Hawks and Blazers were. I fill like the mistake made by the Pistons will set them back a lot longer than the mistakes made by the Hawks and Blazers and for that reason I see it as the worst pick.

JordansBulls
06-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Because the Pistons were in a position to win before the pick. They just came off a 50 win season and a trip to the ECF's the season before. They weren't in rebuilding mode... Whereas the Hawks and Blazers were. I fill like the mistake made by the Pistons will set them back a lot longer than the mistakes made by the Hawks and Blazers and for that reason I see it as the worst pick.

Which means even if a bad pick it didn't effect them winning. With the other teams it hampered any success they would ever have. That's how I looked at it.

RVN671
06-28-2011, 01:31 PM
forever!

AntiG
06-28-2011, 01:34 PM
forever!

Agreed. Trailblazers dynasty would have happened with the dynamic duo of Clyde Drexler and Michael Jordan.

higo89
06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
I would have to say Oden. Detroit passed up carmelo, wade and bosh. However detroit needed a big man, they had hamilton and prince and weren't gonna bench either of those two. and bosh wasnt the big man detroit wanted. They needed a 7 foot defender. Detroit didnt take any of the other guys because there was no need.

Portland passed up durant, to get an oft injured center, if i remember right i believe portland had darius miles at SF, which isn't scaring anyone, they easily could of used Durant at SF.

Bad choice both ways, but Detroits is way more understandable than Portlands.

JordansBulls
06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
forever!

That's not the question here though. Only one player of this group has a title and finals mvp.

JayAllDay
06-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Pistons should have traded that pick away... they would have gotten the world back in that year's draft. Instead they picked some dude and allowed him to develop the worst attitude ever.

JordansBulls
06-28-2011, 03:35 PM
What people need to remember is that if Detroit doesn't win it all in 2004, then that in itself makes things look worse for them with that pick of Darko. But because they won it all inspite of him, it doesn't hurt them as much. Not to mention only other player of the group that has a title is Wade.

DaoudS
06-28-2011, 03:52 PM
I picked Oden for the simple fact that there were various red flags all around his health but the TrailBlazers still picked him.

Heater4life
06-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Darko hands down. Its not even close. That Piston team was awesome AND they had the second pick in the draft. That never happens.

They could have gone with Melo, Bosh, Wade, Kaman, Hinrich. Any of those players straight up or trade downs to snag those players and other assets would have created a VERY difficult team to beat.

KnightnDaye
06-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Darko for sure, but you never know. Had they drafted melo maybe they don't win the championship?

blastmasta26
06-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Darko for sure, but you never know. Had they drafted melo maybe they don't win the championship?
Well Darko didn't contribute much in the championship run. Maybe with Detroit's defensive philosophy, Melo would have developed differently. He was a talented scorer from the beginning of his career, he could have definitely been helpful off the bench if anything.

kenzo400
06-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Darko was drafted completly on potential. He was not NBA ready at the time and Detroit knew this. What i don't understand is why they would draft him in such a strong drafting year. I mean you had Wade, Carmelo, Bosh all in the top 5 that year.

ragee
06-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Maybe you should include the Blazers trading down to get Webster and Telfair instead of just picking D-Will or CP3!

Heater4life
06-28-2011, 04:05 PM
What people need to remember is that if Detroit doesn't win it all in 2004, then that in itself makes things look worse for them with that pick of Darko. But because they won it all inspite of him, it doesn't hurt them as much. Not to mention only other player of the group that has a title is Wade.

That has nothing to do with it. Detroit had the opportunity to establish a great team for many years to come. Its not like were talking about missing out on one prospect. They could have landed Melo, Bosh, Wade, Kaman, Hinrich, or any one of those players with additional assets.

kenzo400
06-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Maybe you should include the Blazers trading down to get Webster and Telfair instead of just picking D-Will or CP3!

What pick did they have initially?

blastmasta26
06-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Darko was drafted completly on potential. He was not NBA ready at the time and Detroit knew this. What i don't understand is why they would draft him in such a strong drafting year. I mean you had Wade, Carmelo, Bosh all in the top 5 that year.
Well if Detroit believed he could be a great NBA center with a few years of growth and development, the pick makes sense somewhat. They were a talented team and could afford a rookie that didn't provide instant impact and hoped that he would help when the core began getting older.

kenzo400
06-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Well if Detroit believed he could be a great NBA center with a few years of growth and development, the pick makes sense somewhat. They were a talented team and could afford a rookie that didn't provide instant impact and hoped that he would help when the core began getting older.

Yea but pre draft most analysts agreed that Carmelo would be a very good player, same as Wade and Bosh. They weren't total surprises.

Darko at the time was way too raw. He had a lot of potential and pretty crazy athleticism, but taking him was a huge risk.

John Walls Era
06-28-2011, 04:09 PM
People are forgetting that Larry Brown didn't play him for 2 years. Really hindered his growth and this season he had somewhat of a breakout year.

kenzo400
06-28-2011, 04:11 PM
People are forgetting that Larry Brown didn't play him for 2 years. Really hindered his growth and this season he had somewhat of a breakout year.

Which is another reason why i don't understand why they took him. They knew how Larry Brown is with rookies. Why would you take a player that has a lot of potential knowing you have a coach that won't play him.

blastmasta26
06-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Yea but pre draft most analysts agreed that Carmelo would be a very good player, same as Wade and Bosh. They weren't total surprises.

Darko at the time was way too raw. He had a lot of potential and pretty crazy athleticism, but taking him was a huge risk.
As raw as he may have been, I think he was still the consensus #2 pick. I believe Swashcuff posted examples of some analysts saying this a few pages back.

kenzo400
06-28-2011, 04:14 PM
As raw as he may have been, I think he was still the consensus #2 pick. I believe Swashcuff posted examples of some analysts saying this a few pages back.

I remember quite a lot of analysts were saying at the time that they should have picked Carmelo. It wasn't that much of a consesus that he should be the number two pick.

KingPosey
06-28-2011, 04:41 PM
^
The only reason Darko was a consensus #2 is because the media and talent evaluators bandwagon ideas as well. Its ridiculous.

Rndy
06-28-2011, 05:35 PM
It's really not even close Darko for sure. When Oden is on the floor he's a beast and if it weren't for injurys he'd be the best center in the game. He could play Howard like defense and he had a superior post game.

Jiggie
06-28-2011, 05:50 PM
It's obviously Darko...

If any NBA played sustained the freak injuries Oden did, they wouldn't have a career either. Oden is a good player, and if he never got hurt, he would be easily the 2nd best defensive center in the NBA... Injuries are the only thing keeping him from that.

Oden isn't a Bust, not sure why people keep labeling him a Bust. The time he had managed to actually play, he's been very good... Injuries are the only reason the man hasn't played, not overrated abilities.

FinsHeatPanthrs
06-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Could you imagine a lineup of: Billups, Hamilton, Melo, Sheed, Big Ben? That would have been nasty for years!!!

Tmo440
06-28-2011, 06:20 PM
At first glance I would have said Darko over Melo, Wade, and Bosh however, I think that the Marvin Williams pick over Derron Williams and CP3 is very close. Either point guard would look really good on this current Hawks roster. I personally feel that passing up on Derron Williams and CP3 was a more of a blow for the Hawks than Darko was for the Pistons. Having either point guard on this current Hawk team would make them more of a title contending team. Obviously its not a guarantee that they would have the other players that are on their current team, but it doesn't hurt have CP3 or Dwill on your team.

JNA17
06-28-2011, 06:23 PM
I say Oden BY FAR. Why? Because the guy was injured since high school...HIGH SCHOOL! I saw this coming from a mile away. The guy was always injury prone since he started playing basketball and people knocked on Durant because he was skinny or too weak to even become a decent basketball player.

Whether the guy was going to be good or not if healthy is not only purely subjective but the fact was he was never even going to be healthy enough to play a damn game in the first place. I would much rather take a bust who actually plays a damn game over a guy who the team is now paying over 5 million a year for not playing once.

Swashcuff
06-28-2011, 06:40 PM
I remember quite a lot of analysts were saying at the time that they should have picked Carmelo. It wasn't that much of a consesus that he should be the number two pick.

Yes it was. I posted what all the analysts and scouts were saying. Many said Darko should have gone #1. Fans were saying Melo should have gone #2.

Swashcuff
06-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Actually Darko was viewed as more of a sure than than Bosh and Wade more so Wade. Wade was viewed as a 9-13 pick before the draft. Reason why Riley picked him was because he was looking for a mature NBA ready player as opposed to a prospect like Chris Kaman.

ragee
06-28-2011, 07:28 PM
What pick did they have initially?

3rd...

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-28-2011, 09:52 PM
It's really not even close Darko for sure. When Oden is on the floor he's a beast and if it weren't for injurys he'd be the best center in the game. He could play Howard like defense and he had a superior post game.

Best C in the league?

You're high.

Fnom11
06-28-2011, 10:19 PM
How is this even questionable? Wade/Melo have become SUPERSTARS, players of their generation. Meanwhile Darko is barely a starter. Oden hasn't even played half a season yet. Oden can still become one of the best players in the league.

Plus Wade/Melo>Durant easily.

sventhedog
06-28-2011, 10:48 PM
no offense but portland has the worst physical examiners for players. they keep getting players who have the uncanny ability of getting injured.

hugepatsfan
06-28-2011, 10:52 PM
When the Hawks took Williams it was a mistake THEN. At the time of the draft, Oden was clearly a better choice than Durant (bigs>wings) and Darko over Bosh, Melo, Wade, etc. was justifiable as well. The Blazers (and Pistons, to a lesser extent) made good choices that turned out poorly. ATL made a bad choice that turned out as expected.

Team*Chicago
06-28-2011, 11:24 PM
I'll have to say taking Oden over Durant was a mistake because Durant and Roy could have been the next Jordan and Pippen at that time. That Darko pick was horrible but the Pistons had Rip Hamiton at SG meaning they didn't need Wade, Tayshuan at SF meaning no need for Carmelo and Ben+Rasheed Wallace at PF/C meaning no need for soft a-- Chris Bosh, I understand how Detroit f---ed up but their organization did grow stupid over the years after trading Chuancey for Allen freaking Iverson and signong some scrubs(Ben Grordon and that Franklinstein guy) to some over paid contracts.

Darko by a landslide.

:speechless: I'm suprised that they didn't make you or take your sig down.

Kyben36
06-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Darko, I still think Oden would win a title before Durrant ( not a huge fan of durrant ) but the guy cant stay healthy.

topdog
06-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Not even close with Darko over Melo against Oden over Durant. Melo was the concensus 2nd best pick. Oden is on the same tier if healthy (considering size and position).

I would probably argue that Marvin Williams is the worst choice of the 3 though since Detroit at least reached for a position of need whereas Atlanta absolutely needed a point guard ...and still does.

Steelers23_06
06-29-2011, 12:39 AM
i honestly think its a tie between darko and marvin. bc if atl drafts paul or dwill that is a championship caliber team with paul or dwill/jamal/joe/j smoove/horford is dangerous and would outrun ALOT of teams i think them and miami and chicago would be fighting in the east EVERY season. and if you look at detroit they still won a ring with their mistake and whos to say if they drafted wade melo or bosh they wouldnt have left em high and dry. as for oden i think ANYONE at the time would have took him. everyone had them taking them because he was a great prospect. his development just came to a halt due to injuries.

bringinwood
06-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Darko over Melo, Wade, and Bosh is the worst of the three by far...

Oden would be as or more valuable then Durant if he were healthy...

Oden had the potential to be the best center in basketball...

Not a single one of us would have passed on Oden with the 1st pick given his potential in the NBA...

If Portland were in the same position, they would do it 100 out of 100 times...

It wasn't then and it isn't now a bad pick... Luck just sucks sometimes...

BradyIsTheMan12
06-29-2011, 06:32 AM
Once again I am annoyed that some are forgetting that Oden had zero knee problems coming into the draft. The end result may be worse, but the pick itself is not even close to as bad as the other possibilities. We made the right pick, we just have terrible luck..

Before4
06-29-2011, 07:22 AM
went with the Hawks simply because, as stated elsewhere, Pistons at least won the title after making the mistake. Hawks didn't do squat.

Hawkamania
06-29-2011, 08:50 AM
This is a fairly simple choice to make in my opinion, has to be taking Darko over Carmelo, Wade, and Bosh.

cavsbluejackets
06-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Darko, then Marvin then Ofen

JordansBulls
07-01-2011, 01:42 PM
went with the Hawks simply because, as stated elsewhere, Pistons at least won the title after making the mistake. Hawks didn't do squat.
My line of thinking as well.

barreleffact
07-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Marvin wasn't close to the best prospect even at the time.

Darko could have been great, but he was young and did not have the personality to mesh with that group. Add that with the fact that Brown hates rookies, and he was never given time to playtime or an opportunity to grow and Darko reasonably could have been a great player had anyone else been chosen. Hell, if Bosh was taken instead then how do we know he would have been given any time? He probably would have cried.

Oden has to be the most excusable. Center will always bechosen first, historically. His problems weren't knee problems. He suffered a hand injury that he played through and that was it.

LosDoyers1
07-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I think there were red flags with Oden. I don't care what anybody says about big men being hard to come by, etc. Durant was hands down the best player in that draft and you should take the best player available (that's my thinking).

The Hawks always screw up. I have no idea why they took Williams when they clearly needed a point guard at the time.

As for Darko, I have no comment. Any other player (even if they don't take Melo, Bosh or Wade) would have been infinitely better.

NBA_Starter
07-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Darko, everyone in their right mind would have done the other at the time

barreleffact
07-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Darko, everyone in their right mind would have done the other at the time

You would have taken Marvin Williams over CP3 and Deron Williams? Or was ATL the only team is their right mind? Literally no one understood that move even at the time of the draft. Everyone understood Darko at the time and Oden.

EaglePride615
07-01-2011, 10:21 PM
to those of you that say oden... whenever he plays he shows flashes. darko just completely fails. sure he starts with the wolves now but their the wolves.

PistonsFan14
07-01-2011, 10:52 PM
I hate the word Darko.

PHX2daDEATH
07-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Darko no question, Joe could of traded Hamilton after drafting Wade thats what should of been done, how the landscape of the NBA woulda changed then..Wade and Lebron in the same division? Or even Melo and Lebron? It mighta drove LBJ harder and Cavs front office harder or the big 3 coulda ended up in Detroit

thekmp211
07-02-2011, 02:10 AM
well shoot i was going to vote darko, but then i saw the marvin williams option. at least darko had consensus hype, and admittedly has some skills to back it up. marvin never did anything in college that screamed spectacular, and has survived in the nba by becoming a very different, and very average, player. might even go so far as to say id rather have darko on my team. plus the fact that the hawks were dying for a point guard. detroit had tayshaun, who was about to help them win a ring.

thekmp211
07-02-2011, 02:15 AM
both darko and marvin are best suited for bench roles, which makes them epic fails by #2 pick standards. but darko, at least, is 7 feet tall, and sometimes remembers that he's athletic and skilled. he's a very good shot blocker, a solid defender and the type of guy you can live with playing in the post on a second unit.

marvin, on the other hand, is a dime a dozen player who has essentially mutated into a not all that great three point shooter. he has some decent skills but is a classic tweener who never displayed the elite athleticism or even that one elite basketball skill needed to thrive in the nba. not sure how scouts were ever all that enamored by him.

JordansBulls
07-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I hate the word Darko.

:confused:

TylerSL
07-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Oden wasnt as bad as everybody says. He can still be a really good NBA player if he can get himself healthy, and then stay healthy. IF Oden had been playing this whole time rather than being injured, by now I figure he would be the second best Center in the league behind Howard, and would be about as good as Howard is now.

To stay on topic tho, it has to be Darko, he has always been healthy, and it took his prime for him to just be a good bench player.

1.Lebron
2.Darko
3.Melo
4.Bosh
5.Wade

damn....... Detroit must be embarrased......

JordansBulls
07-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Oden wasnt as bad as everybody says. He can still be a really good NBA player if he can get himself healthy, and then stay healthy. IF Oden had been playing this whole time rather than being injured, by now I figure he would be the second best Center in the league behind Howard, and would be about as good as Howard is now.

To stay on topic tho, it has to be Darko, he has always been healthy, and it took his prime for him to just be a good bench player.

1.Lebron
2.Darko
3.Melo
4.Bosh
5.Wade

damn....... Detroit must be embarrased......

That's the problem when will Oden be healthy.

JordansBulls
09-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Once again I am annoyed that some are forgetting that Oden had zero knee problems coming into the draft. The end result may be worse, but the pick itself is not even close to as bad as the other possibilities. We made the right pick, we just have terrible luck..

I thought Oden was always injury prone coming into the draft or had some type of ailments.

knightstemplar
09-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Darko over Wade

imagine the Pistons with Wade back then, damn

GoPacers33
09-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Darko. Oden still has a future.

Cal827
09-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Definitely Darko. He was picked ahead of 3 all-stars, with one of them being a franchise player (Wade). Detroit couldn't have really gone wrong with Wade or Melo, (Bosh might have been in the same situation if he was drafter by Detroit and not Toronto). Had they drafted one of them, they would have likely won more than once.

topdog
09-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Hawks needed a Pg and they drafted Williams... and overpaid to retain him.

Darko at least was an intriguing player at a position of need and they DID win a championship.

Oden has put up great numbers for his position when healthy and he adjusted to injury in college - shot free throws left-handed.

MrfadeawayJB
09-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Darko and its not even close. Oden (if not injured) has the potential of being a great defensive player and solid NBA player. Darko is pretty close to a ceiling and he is just a average NBA Center when you could have had a franchise changer drafted behind him

Stuckey#3
09-05-2011, 10:29 PM
ESPN’s Chad Ford:

Darko is really one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots the NBA 3 and plays with his back to the basket, so you can slot him in at the 3, 4 or 5 positions. OK, a few other guys can do that too; what sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post. You have to love a guy who has the footwork to spin by an opponent but still prefers to lower a shoulder and bang. Fact is, Milicic plays in attack-mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back. While he won’t be asked to carry the Pistons, he’s capable of doing this earlier than you think

http://www.pistonpowered.com/2010/09/myth-detroit-pistons-picking-darko-milicic-over-carmelo-anthony-with-the-no-2-pick-in-the-2003-nba-draft-was-an-avoidable-blunder/

Stuckey#3
09-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Sports Illustrated first mentioned Darko on Dec. 23, 2002. The magazine wrote:

One scout counted at least 10 times that James failed to get back on defense. Added one G.M., "You have to worry that his sense of entitlement is so great after being spoiled by the AAU system, the agents and all the publicity."

There are no such worries about the potential No. 2 pick, Darko Milicic of Yugoslavia, who sleeps on a pullout bed, is warmed by a space heater and earns approximately $20,000 for the small club Hemofarm. A 7-foot lefthander with size-18 feet, Milicic can do it all—score inside and outside, run the floor, pass and block shots.

Stuckey#3
09-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Darko was the concensus #2 Pick. Get over it.

LosDoyers1
09-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Oden over Durant. The Piston were coming off a championship year, so it's not like they were in a bind to get significantly better. The Blazers needed one piece and (I thought this all along) should have taken Durant. In hindsight, it's easy to judge but I would not have taken a risk on Oden with all the injuries he's had prior to the NBA.

knickfan4life
09-05-2011, 10:49 PM
sam bowie over michael jordan? that #1 IMHO... but in these, durant on that blazers team would be WOWWWWWW

llemon
09-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Kenny Anderson over Deke.

JordansBulls
09-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Kenny Anderson over Deke.

That wasn't that bad though.