PDA

View Full Version : West heading for free agency

towlsmoke420
06-27-2011, 04:43 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6707803

Despite suffering a season-ending knee injury in March, New Orleans Hornets power forward David West is expected to opt out of the final season of his contract this week and become a free agent, according to sources close to the situation.

NYKnicksAllDay
06-27-2011, 04:48 AM
I think he'll end up resigning with the Hornets. Knee injury is going to hurt his value.

bolts4ever
06-27-2011, 05:06 AM
I think he'll end up resigning with the Hornets. Knee injury is going to hurt his value.

Dont think so considering his game!!
he not a guy than relies on athleticism or quickness he a standstill jump shooting PF which is a skill that wont really be affected.

that being said I think if the Hornets wants any chance of keeping CP3 they have no choice but to resign West if not hes DEFINITELY GONE AT THE TRADING DEADLINE.

dodie53
06-27-2011, 05:10 AM
s&t west,
s&t cp3

thenetslegend
06-27-2011, 08:23 AM
i hope a team isnt stupid enough to give this man a $hitl0ad of cash

jiggin
06-27-2011, 08:57 AM
he had a knee injury...right? Blazers will be interested.

NBA-GMaster
06-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Nets or Kings will be his likely destination.. he will be overpaid for sure..

gaughan333
06-27-2011, 09:03 AM
I figured he'd play this year (if there is one) with the hornets and try to drive up his value.

GoPacers33
06-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Pacers need a PF why not West

king4day
06-27-2011, 09:32 AM
I hope the Suns don't go near him.
Pacers would be an interesting destination. But NJ could make the most sense. He and Deron could probably be enough to get them into the playoffs. Might also help them attract Howard.

sixer04fan
06-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Someone will give him a generous deal definitely... But it depends on how the cap and free agency situations look after the new CBA, which might not be for a while. I have a BAD feeling this lockout could take out next season.

Raoul Duke
06-27-2011, 10:00 AM
He'll be 31 in August and he just came off a torn ACL. I know this guy has been a model of consistency and I love his game, but I don't see how he's going to be worth more money in any future season than he was last season.

How much do you guys think he'll get, and how much do you think he's worth?

ttam68
06-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Opting out could be a smart move even if it comes with a reduction in salary if he can lock up a longterm deal. Maybe $40 mil for 4 years. I wouldn't touch him, but he'll get paid.

Atownballa5
06-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I hope the Suns don't go near him.
Pacers would be an interesting destination. But NJ could make the most sense. He and Deron could probably be enough to get them into the playoffs. Might also help them attract Howard.

god and our luck theyll go hard after him and throw enormous amounts of cash...

LTBaByyy
06-27-2011, 10:43 AM
The Pacers are the only and perfect destination

Who has cap space in the NBA lol .... Nets, Pacers, Bucks, Thunder and Kings?

Hugbees
06-27-2011, 10:51 AM
I think he's gone, isn't Hornet ownership at a standstill? There's no money being moved.

allSUAVE
06-27-2011, 10:55 AM
all Nyets right here

Slimsim
06-27-2011, 10:56 AM
someone will give him max

KnicksR4Real
06-27-2011, 10:57 AM
nets will throw money at him like they always do

GoPacers33
06-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Hes going to Indy

NJ Raven
06-27-2011, 11:02 AM
I really hope he goes to Indy and not NJ. Then again we're dumb enough to offer him a long term deal.

310Casper
06-27-2011, 11:12 AM
someone will give him max

lol, not a chance.

This just made the the offseason more interesting.
No West = Unhappy CP3 = Bye Bye Cp3 unless the Hornets resign West or sign someone of equal talent

West should give his agent a nice bonus, this was a nice move from the agent's perspective, pushing the contract matter knowing cp3's situation with the team if West leaves.

llemon
06-27-2011, 11:13 AM
nets will throw money at him like they always do

From a poster whose team S&Ted for Eddy Curry.

llemon
06-27-2011, 11:15 AM
West is a player in a situation that is one of the reasons there is going to be a lockout.

Giraffes Rule
06-27-2011, 11:32 AM
He would be a near perfect compliment to Tim Duncan, but the Spurs sure don't have the money to sign him. Don't have anything that the Hornets would want in a sign and trade either.

Sly Guy
06-27-2011, 11:35 AM
i hope a team isnt stupid enough to give this man a $hitl0ad of cash

as long as it ain't mine. I've always thought west was overrated and a by-product of cp3's ability.

Federal Reserve
06-27-2011, 11:39 AM
David West would be an ideal fit for the Frail Blazers.

The Best Around
06-27-2011, 11:43 AM
It makes sense this year has a horrible free agent class. I see the Nets getting him.

And in 400 days I don't even want to think about what the Hornets roster will look like.

LakersIn5
06-27-2011, 11:50 AM
lakers should sign him for 3mil a year. lol

310Casper
06-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Lebron just sent West a text message....

LakersIn5
06-27-2011, 12:04 PM
West is a player in a situation that is one of the reasons there is going to be a lockout.

no! owners are the reason why there is going to be a lockout. owners offer the money. players like west just decide whether to accept or reject the offer. if you are david west if you have the chance to get a huge money contract then why wont you go for it?

the knicks offered jerome james a boatload of money. what do you expect him to do?? reject it and say "im so sorry but im not talented to get that kind of money please offer me a smaller and cheaper contract"??

jiggin
06-27-2011, 12:22 PM
no! owners are the reason why there is going to be a lockout. owners offer the money. players like west just decide whether to accept or reject the offer. if you are david west if you have the chance to get a huge money contract then why wont you go for it?

the knicks offered jerome james a boatload of money. what do you expect him to do?? reject it and say "im so sorry but im not talented to get that kind of money please offer me a smaller and cheaper contract"??

but if the owner doesn't offer big money to draw players, you won't be a fan and pay to go to games and pay to wear the jersey of that big player and pay to get food at the game ect...which is how the owner tries to make money back. So...you are damned if you do and damned if you don't I guess...

...I mean, you want to blame the owners for trying their best to bring you an attractive product? seriously.

Some of you don't understand the REALITY of this. The OWNERS aren't going to allow the current CBA to continue because it isn't giving them the room they need to continue bringing attractive talent to their home fans but keep the doors open.

keep blaming the owners. when they walk away, liquidate their assets and the NBA is no more, not only u but all those players having to go over seas to play will be crying and wishing things were different. And blaming the owners isn't going to magically bring back the NBA.

This generation is so about point the finger and handing out blame rather than fixing the ****ing problem. Its LAME.

llemon
06-27-2011, 12:27 PM

You misunderstood me.

I'm not blaming David West.

But his situation is something the NBA owners are not smart enough to deal with, so they want to make rules to protect themselves from acting stupidly, and therefore, a lockout.

rurichie
06-27-2011, 12:43 PM
I would love him on the Nets but for the right price not a huge contract.

TheRunKiller
06-27-2011, 12:51 PM
but but chris paul is a top 5 player in the nba no doubt according to people on here :rolleyes: why would West want to leave?

NYsFinest
06-27-2011, 01:13 PM
but but chris paul is a top 5 player in the nba no doubt according to people on here :rolleyes: why would West want to leave?

CP3 >>> Rose

DoMeFavors
06-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Would be cool if Nets got him
He's not a superstar or anything but he is still a good player.

saintdrew
06-27-2011, 01:26 PM
I have a feeling that Dell Demps will overpay to keep David West in a Hornets uniform. However, I think it's imperative that we resign Carl Landry as the primary backup. Landry played very well in the playoffs against the Lakers.

If we lose West, then I think we need to make it a priority to sign restricted free agent Jeff Green from Boston. However, I don't know if the Celtics plan on keeping Green around or not.

AnalyzeNShoot
06-27-2011, 01:47 PM
If the Nets are stupid enuff to sign him its gona be Shareef Abul Raheem all over again. I mean this guy is nothing special though he is good. Does not rebound well, is undersized but i believe some small market team with money will pay him up. I pray its not the NETS

blastmasta26
06-27-2011, 02:13 PM
I have a feeling that Dell Demps will overpay to keep David West in a Hornets uniform. However, I think it's imperative that we resign Carl Landry as the primary backup. Landry played very well in the playoffs against the Lakers.

If we lose West, then I think we need to make it a priority to sign restricted free agent Jeff Green from Boston. However, I don't know if the Celtics plan on keeping Green around or not.
With the current financial situation, I doubt the Hornets will give out a big contract.

nimazahir
06-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Why would the nets want him, they have kris at the pf already? They should keep their cap for dwight.
West deserves a 4 year 35 mil at the best b/c of his age and his injury

llemon
06-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Why would the nets want him, they have kris at the pf already? They should keep their cap for dwight.
West deserves a 4 year 35 mil at the best b/c of his age and his injury

Sounds like a lot of money for a big risk.

LTBaByyy
06-27-2011, 05:13 PM
West is a 2 time all star but injuries and not a lot of teams have cap room

They said the Pacers and Nets are the top 2 right now on the list very interested in him

But if I was the Nets or Pacers being young teams I would throw money at Jeff Green to see if Celtics will bite to match it

nolafan33
06-27-2011, 06:36 PM
He and Chris are as good as gone.

blastmasta26
06-27-2011, 09:38 PM
I like the fit for the Pacers. With Darren Collison, Danny Granger, Paul George, and now George Hill, their perimeter players are solid and Roy Hibbert is a steadily improving good center. West fills their need at PF and makes them a more formidable playoff team.

However, they run the risk of limiting themselves to be a middling playoff team; good enough to be a 4-5 seed but not realistic contenders a la the Hawks.

LakersMaster24
06-27-2011, 09:53 PM
he had a knee injury...right? Blazers will be interested.

:laugh::laugh2:

tbuk100
06-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Nets. They have the money and an open roster position for him. And he'll get paid big time because there is very little talent in this years' free agency pool.

saintdrew
07-03-2011, 10:53 AM
West could get signed by a team and easily have sort of a Zach Randolph impact like he did with Memphis.

GoPacers33
07-03-2011, 02:18 PM
pacers

GoPacers33
07-03-2011, 02:19 PM
pacers all day

llemon
07-03-2011, 02:32 PM
West could get signed by a team and easily have sort of a Zach Randolph impact like he did with Memphis.

That would surprise me.