PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical scenario - What do you choose?

BlueJayFanDan
06-26-2011, 07:46 PM
I was interested to see what people in here would choose on this scenario I made up. So give me your honest answer please.

So, hypothetically lets say Roy Halladay plays until hes 40. So 2017, still with the Phillies, he announces it will be his last season in the majors no matter what. So to this point hypothetically, the Phillies have not won the world series and Halladay has never won it in his career still. So the season goes by and in the World Series Jays vs Phillies. Once again, Halladay has still never won a world series to this point. Do you guys really want Halladay to win one before retiring or do you cheer for your team? That should be an easy choice but who knows. Now, to make the decision more interesting, we are guaranteed to be in the World Series again the following season, however, not guaranteed to win although obviously a 50/50 chance. Does that change your choice? I am pretty intrigued to see how people answer this. Of course there is no right or wrong answer here.

adid727
06-26-2011, 07:53 PM
more championships = more honor for the team and the fans, so i will cheer for the jays no matter what.

town123
06-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Fug Roy. Woulda, shouda, coulda baby.

torontosports10
06-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Ill probably be the only one to say Id want Doc to win in game 7 in a 1-0 perfect game.

Without Doc on the Jays, I either never became a baseball fan, or lost all interest in it a lee of a long time ago.

He is my favorite player, bar none, and if anyone deserves a ring its him, for the time and effort he puts into it.

Bombtista
06-26-2011, 07:57 PM
We are Jays fans over Roy Halladay fans. And the variables in your situation are just so specific.

BlueJayFanDan
06-26-2011, 08:00 PM
Ill probably be the only one to say Id want Doc to win in game 7 in a 1-0 perfect game.

Without Doc on the Jays, I either never became a baseball fan, or lost all interest in it a lee of a long time ago.

He is my favorite player, bar none, and if anyone deserves a ring its him, for the time and effort he puts into it.

I love Doc just as much. When I created this scenario in my mind I originally was thinking Doc cant possibly retire without winning the world series. But I am still no matter what a Jays fan more than a fan of any player. Which is why I say we must win if this were to ever happen.

the_jon
06-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Nothing is guaranteed. I love Roy but obviously I'm going to back my team. Maybe he'll come back to us and we can both have it.

cdsouz01
06-26-2011, 09:43 PM
i am a HUGE Doc fan, i went out and bought a Phillies Halladay Jersey to support my favourite athlete (yes, not just baseball player) ever. This weekend, when the jays face off against Doc, I will be cheering for him ONLY because this season does not mean much in terms of playoffs/championship. Every win, complete game, shutout etc that Doc gets, inches him closer to the HOF, something he dearly deserves.

But if its world series on the line, you gotta go blue jays, no questions asked.

FlakeyFool
06-26-2011, 09:52 PM
If you'd cheer for Doc over the Blue Jays in the World Series than you're not a fan of the blue jays.

B-Ray
06-26-2011, 10:29 PM
I mean sure I'd love to see Doc win it all. But there is zero reason I would ever be cheering against the Blue Jays in the world series.

scottythegreat1
06-26-2011, 10:37 PM
I wouldnt give up a Blue Jays World Series just because the best pitcher in baseball hasnt won it. I dont care if its Halladay or if Its Johan Santana, Id rather see the Blue Jays win.

Roy Halladay wont throw his game so the Jays win so why should we throw it for him??

I like the scenario you put in, but he is a Philly now, and the Phillies are just like the Red Sox and the Yankees...the team that buys up everyone (only they are in the National League).

TO Rapz
06-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Jays winning over anyone. My team > any one player or anyone else. Hands down.

BlueJayFanDan
06-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Just curious, because I agree with all of you who would pick the Jays winning, would you feel differently if say the Jays won every season for like 3 seasons leading up to that season and were guaranteed more wins after that season? Just to add a little something to this lol.

bomber0104
06-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Haha... like someone said, if that thought even crosses ur mind, ur not a true Jays fan..

Halladay can go screw himself for all i care.. give me a world championship.. this city needs one

TO Rapz
06-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Just curious, because I agree with all of you who would pick the Jays winning, would you feel differently if say the Jays won every season for like 3 seasons leading up to that season and were guaranteed more wins after that season? Just to add a little something to this lol.

Absolutely not. Every championship is hard work and effort in any league, and winning 4 in a row is great, but im not giving up any for Doc.

Now I will say this, i sure hope Doc wins one or more, because hes a class act, and hes the first guy i look at in my list of teams i hope wins, after my jays, but if Doc winning a championship gets in the way of my team, then no, my team comes first.

ChongInc.
06-27-2011, 01:36 AM
I think it would be awesome to beat him to a world series. No disrespect, but that would be epic. Shoulda believed.

Nocturnal Rat
06-27-2011, 02:35 AM
Absolutely not. Every championship is hard work and effort in any league, and winning 4 in a row is great, but im not giving up any for Doc.

Now I will say this, i sure hope Doc wins one or more, because hes a class act, and hes the first guy i look at in my list of teams i hope wins, after my jays, but if Doc winning a championship gets in the way of my team, then no, my team comes first.

Absolutely. And if we had won 3 in a row and Doc has yet to win one, he should have made the right decision to come back and join us.

darth helmet
06-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Doc is not only an exceptional athlete but an exceptional person as well. I wish him the best and everything but he made the choice to leave Toronto to play for a chance at the world series. I don't hold anything against him for that but if Toronto should win the series before Philly, then that's too bad for Doc, he'll have to live with his decision. Guess he shouldn't have left Toronto after all. Go Jays all the way!

ThunderZubb
06-27-2011, 01:27 PM
I choose my blue jays win the world series over roy halladay but I hoping that this year that Roy Halladay wins his first championship and many more until we reach the world series than I will choose jays over halladay sorry

King Rick
06-27-2011, 04:00 PM
I'll take the Jays over a single player any day. Even if that player is Roy Halladay. Besides... Halladay is likely to win one long before we're close.

dtmagnet
06-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I'd be rooting for the Jays.

mrpink16
06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Sorry Doc. I agree with King Rick, the team always comes before the individual, even as a fan.

AFlagRules
06-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Toronto Blue Jays...

nithanyo
06-28-2011, 12:56 AM
halladay can go screw himself. I would want the jays to win a championship before doc and rub it in his face for jumping ship. (even though i am grateful for what he did here and is undoubtedly my favorite player)

McJoe
06-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Best of luck to Roy but if he's playing us in the series than **** him...

H-MYK
06-28-2011, 08:06 PM
I'd pick the Jays. I love them too much for one player.

wamco
07-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Philly won the trade

Kenny Powders
07-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Toronto blue Jays and its not even close. The ideal situation would see him not win one in Philly and come back to Toronto for his last "farewell" year and then we win one for him.

Kenny Powders
07-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Philly won the trade

Its hard to win a trade when you trade arguably the best pitcher in baseball. But how can you state that as fact when we've only seen 1/3 of the players that we got for Doc?

nstojic
07-04-2011, 08:23 AM
1st: Jays championship 2nd: everything else

Rogi10
07-04-2011, 11:10 AM
I root for what's on the front of the Jersey, not the back.

nstojic
07-04-2011, 11:29 AM
^^ cliché, much? :D

wamco
07-04-2011, 03:44 PM
its hard to win a trade when you trade arguably the best pitcher in baseball. But how can you state that as fact when we've only seen 1/3 of the players that we got for doc?

2/3

Kenny Powders
07-04-2011, 03:58 PM
2/3

Fine 2/3. My point still stands that the sample size is too small to judge this trade. It needs at least three more years.

Nick O
07-04-2011, 04:19 PM
jays all the way

wamco
07-04-2011, 04:46 PM
actually 1/3, guy to OAK stinks

Kenny Powders
07-04-2011, 07:08 PM
actually 1/3, guy to OAK stinks

Thought you were being facetious because you were including Wallace instead of Gose. I think it is hard to judge a trade like this a year and half after it happens. All three players have the chance to be high impact players.

wamco
07-04-2011, 09:01 PM
and the fact that the player obtained for wallace (gose) was quite a bit further from being mlb ready has to, of course, be factored in.

Kenny Powders
07-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Why?

If that is the case we should also factor in that Gose has a much higher ceiling than Wallace.

wamco
07-05-2011, 11:23 PM
because the exact same player is in AAA he is worth more than the same exact player in A ball for obvious reasons.

And then factor in the chance of bust factor for gose, and downgrade him accordingly.

Kenny Powders
07-06-2011, 07:14 AM
because the exact same player is in AAA he is worth more than the same exact player in A ball for obvious reasons.

And then factor in the chance of bust factor for gose, and downgrade him accordingly.

But I could make the same point that Gose has a superstar factor and that he should be upgraded accordingly. Anyway I am sure we aren't ever going to be on the same page on this discussion. So how about we agree to disagree.

wamco
07-06-2011, 03:25 PM
there was a long time where wallace was going to be a superstar as well. Around here, that ended of course the day he was traded.

Kenny Powders
07-07-2011, 11:29 AM
there was a long time where wallace was going to be a superstar as well. Around here, that ended of course the day he was traded.

Brett Wallace only really ever projected to be a nice player. Gose, on the other hand has the talent to be a special player. Sure he could bust, but if you get enough of those high risk/reward type players then some will pan out. Maybe i am drinking a bit too much of the AA kool aid but I like what he is doing.

es0terik
07-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Fug Roy. Woulda, shouda, coulda baby.

I think that Roy Halladay is the best player to grace the Major Leagues in the past generation. That being said, this above post is the most epic comment I've ever read in my life.

JAYZFAN9
07-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Dont really care if I get ripped for this, ive been a jays fan longer then alot of posters in here have been alive so go ahead..

I have lost significant interest in this team in recent years, and the Halladay trade put it over the top. It used to be that I wouldnt miss a single game, hell I would PVR a meaningless August game just to watch the team play. I hadnt watched an inning of blue jays baseball this year until Doc came to town last weekend. They just dont put a competitive product on the field and havent for years.. Now as for the question its very tough but if its this current jays team, I would cheer for doc. I feel no allegiance to any of the current players, this team is a joke nowadays

wamco
07-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Brett Wallace only really ever projected to be a nice player. Gose, on the other hand has the talent to be a special player. Sure he could bust, but if you get enough of those high risk/reward type players then some will pan out. Maybe i am drinking a bit too much of the AA kool aid but I like what he is doing.

incoorect, wallace was a major cog in the trade for halladay and holliday. Go back and read about him in his prospect ranking days. Gose as of now has never been ranked as high as wallace was.

Billyen
07-09-2011, 02:00 AM

:)