PDA

View Full Version : Has Aaron Curry been a bust?

seahawks509
06-25-2011, 07:33 PM
I know I havn't been on the site much. Been busy with school, football, and my mom just had a new daughter. It's pretty crazy since I am 17 and was an only child. But anyways, it's been fairly quiet in the NFL. I was bored and tried to look for something, anything, but I just couldn't find anythign but a couple pictures of Lynch, Thomas, and Curry. I looked at the pictures of Curry and how he was such a beast in college. This got me thinking, what has he done in the NFL? Really not all that much. So has he been a bust, is it to soon to tell?

FWBrodie
06-25-2011, 07:35 PM
Aside from a few highlight hits a year, pretty much. I'm a shameful Aaron Curry jersey owner.

seahawks509
06-25-2011, 07:37 PM
I was really lookign forward to him. Really thought he could be amazing. Do you think it's just that we aren't using him properly? He just hasn't adjusted yet? Or he just isn't an NFL type player?

furmat60
06-25-2011, 09:09 PM
They're playing him in a position where he can't show his skills. He has awesome athleticism and instincts. He should play a bigger role this coming season.

FWBrodie
06-26-2011, 09:25 PM
^That's what you hope for.

FWBrodie
06-26-2011, 11:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6696370

With the fourth overall pick in the 2009 draft, the Seahawks selected Aaron Curry. If a team uses such a high draft pick on a linebacker, the return has to be much greater than what Curry has provided thus far. Seattle needs Curry to be great.

Curry is immensely talented. He has the size, strength, speed and explosiveness to excel at any linebacker position in any scheme. But he is a strongside linebacker in Seattle's system -- not a featured role. Strongside linebackers are about as easy to find as any position on the field, and they often are not highlighted like outside LBs in a 3-4, weakside LBs in the 4-3 or interior second-level defenders. So, Curry's situation and Seattle's scheme certainly has had something to do with his somewhat disappointing production. The Seahawks bear some blame for not allowing him to find his niche.

Curry's ability approaches that of Patrick Willis, but he obviously has not approached Willis' accomplishments. Curry is only 25, though. Coming out of Wake Forest, he was considered an extremely safe prospect who could enter the league and have an immediate impact. But his rookie season was very rocky. He's played in 30 of 32 possible regular-season games, but he just hasn't been the true impact player that his abilities would indicate.

Captain Planet
06-28-2011, 02:52 AM
the Hawks are using him all wrong...its like they are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Wild1414
06-29-2011, 09:28 PM
the Hawks are using him all wrong...its like they are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

How would you use him differently?

Seattle4Ever
06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
He needs to be slotted more at DE and weakside LB.

seahawks509
07-04-2011, 03:49 AM
I can honestly see Curry being a DeMarcus Ware type of player. We should use him the same way. I mean like Brodie said, he has the speed, the power, the quickness, and the size to do it.

I sure would like to see Curry and Thomas as our cornerstone defensive players. I would love to build around these players, and have a huge future. I say all we need next is our future DT, weather that is Mebane or someone else.

NateyB24
07-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I thought about getting a Curry Jersey but im glad i didn't to bad he doesn't have the instincts of Tatupu because with Tatupus instincts and Currys body he would be a beast.

furmat60
07-04-2011, 04:58 PM
I thought about getting a Curry Jersey but im glad i didn't to bad he doesn't have the instincts of Tatupu because with Tatupus instincts and Currys body he would be a beast.

That's the thing, he's NOT Tatupu. He's a totally different player with different different talents and a different skill set.

House
07-04-2011, 06:03 PM
At this point, I'd take an inexperienced Curry over a broken Tatupu.

Curry: Gradual growth/finding his way
Tatupu: played at such a high level and injuries have made him mediocre.

Caribou Lou
07-05-2011, 02:26 AM
^ Except for the fact that Lofa makes EVERYONE around him better.

seahawks509
07-05-2011, 02:39 AM
But it's hard for him to stay healthy and still make the plays. I would much rather have him as a veteran type of player if he can't make the plays. I would get a young player who Lofa can teach to eventauly take his spot. I love you Lofa, but this is a buisness, and not a popularity contest. In fact that should be the quote explaining Carroll's draft.

Anyways as of now I feel Hawethorne is our best LB, with Curry the big mystery. We are also very deep at LB, which is a great thing to see.

seahawks509
07-05-2011, 02:43 AM
How would you use him differently?

Blitz him more. He's got the size and speed. Like I said before, I can see him being a DeMarcus Ware type of player.

The Texans are going to move Mario Williams to OLB and try to be a Ware type of player. I would say we should use him at DE/OLB/Leo. Anywhere that we can blitz him.

Ill tell you what, if the Mario Williams can feel comfortable and still be oroductive at OLB and JJ Watt and Brooks Reed can be productive at DE. Then they are gonna have a fierce pass rush.

House
07-05-2011, 02:52 AM
^ Except for the fact that Lofa makes EVERYONE around him better.

I know... That's what sucks about the situation. He pushes others which I totally respect, but he becomes very vulnerable. I hope this last surgery has helped him out, but typically that isn't the case...