PDA

View Full Version : Question about the lockout?

JuggernautJ
06-25-2011, 01:51 AM
Is there an approximate date like say february 5th, that if the season isn't started by then it will be officially canceled? I'm not familiar with the lockout process. So I was just curious.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-26-2011, 10:50 AM
hmmm....yeah that would be interesting, when they would cancel the whole season.

jiggin
06-26-2011, 10:58 AM
they won't decide any of that until the get to preseason ect...

...they owners haven't even voted to official have a lock out, that won't be done until next week. The CBA officially ends at the end of this month, so until that contract expires, there won't be any decisions on any of this as both sides are hoping for a resolution before the start of the season.

The players showed up Friday without a new contract in hand or any new info to give the owners as if they were going to budge. They also showed up wearing the same t-shirts that said "STAND" on them, meaning they weren't going to get pushed around.

They are so far apart in talks that I really don't see how they will be able to avoid a lock out...but you never know. Telling someone they won't get paid changes peoples minds...

KaganRS
06-26-2011, 11:01 AM
pretty sure they would just push the playoffs back deeper into the summer and make a short schedule ... too much revenue to be had.

also , I dont think David Stern wants to lose the Miami Heat tv ratings while their hot

24/7
06-26-2011, 11:04 AM
I don't understand the soft cap argument. The luxury tax is not soft; it is steep. Decrease max contracts and increase revenue sharing... not that hard.

PhillyFaninLA
06-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Theoretically there does not need to be a lockout. There would be no free agency, no games of any kind even by just the CBA expiring.

The only thing a lockout does is prevent employees from going to work. The only thing a lockout does is say is you are not welcome here until we have a new deal.

A lockout is unnecessary in my opinion. I mention this because the from a legal and technical standpoint the expiration of the CBA and a lockout are 2 entirely different things. A lockout is a leverage and control move by owners and also a legal one, it helps protect them from a liability standpoint.

PhillyFaninLA
06-26-2011, 11:16 AM
I don't understand the soft cap argument. The luxury tax is not soft; it is steep. Decrease max contracts and increase revenue sharing... not that hard.

What makes this more complicated (and there is no such thing as an easy CBA or contract that dictates all terms of running a multi billion dollar industry) is that something like 2/3 of teams lose money and that is a sign that things are being mismanaged. You can have a company with 2/3 of its locations losing money.

edit: I think one of the issues that would help not have so many teams lose money is all TV contracts are league not individual team TV contracts. The Lakers getting a TV in a league with revenue sharing does not help Minnesota or Portland. If all TV contracts are league based (maybe with a larger percentage going to the team in that local market) that would help elevate some of the financial burden on the 2/3 of the league losing money. Also a soft cap and luxury tax will only allow teams to continue to lose. Right now a hard cap is necessary to be able to get control of the league finances and not have it end up bankrupting itself.

In the NFL I am completely on the side of the players and with the NBA I'm on the side of the owners because the owners are being responsible here and the players aren't and its the opposite in the NFL.

BigCityofDreams
06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
Whose fault is that?

24/7
06-26-2011, 11:39 AM
What makes this more complicated (and there is no such thing as an easy CBA or contract that dictates all terms of running a multi billion dollar industry) is that something like 2/3 of teams lose money and that is a sign that things are being mismanaged. You can have a company with 2/3 of its locations losing money.

Increasing revenue sharing would help that. Additionally, give teams amnesty clause to cut one contract per team every 3 years while still having guaranteed contracts as a safeguard against players who quit on themselves and their team or mysteriously stop producing. Less Lakers, Heat, Celtics in primetime to promote other teams. Give a christmas game to someone else other than the Lakers-heat-celtices for once. Consider contraction of 2 teams and set up a draft for these players for teams in order of losing record to lessen the gap between the top and bottom. Lower MAX contracts so the disparity between the veteran's minimum and the MAX isn't so shocking. With these giant contracts, players own the franchise. Reduce the MAX by 25 percent and give money back to the owners to use for franchise improvement. Change the name of the Charlotte Bobcats to the Charlotte Flyers with a cool Wrights Brother logo on the jersey akin to the retro Raptor Jersey because the last owner was an ego-driven who named the BOBcats after himself instead of a name that fit Charlotte. Change the Grizzlies name which fit for Vancouver to the Memphis Blues and have a music festival whenever the Utah Jazz and Memphis Blues play a game. Invest more money in Advertising on other channels such as AMC, FX, TLC, BIO, DISC, SPIKE by promoting the stories of these NBA players and increasing overall attention. Revamp ABC's broadcast formula for NBA games to include more recognizable figures such as Bob Costas and Al Michaelson and Marv Albert, change the theme song and color scheme, and fire Jeff Van Gundy. Increase the length of the regular season by stretching out 82 games over a longer period of time to give players a better chance to rest and the ability to have more weekend games so more families can attend. Raise ticket prices by 5 percent. Change the NBA to the IBA (international basketball association ) with divisions in Europe, Asia, South America, North America, and Africa to capitalize on the global economy. The NBA offer free financial consultant firms to aid any franchises in debt. What else could help...

FuriousJatt
06-26-2011, 11:46 AM
well if the 2/3 of the teams are really losing money and the league has shown the financial documents to the players then its the players fault for being too greedy, otherwise it is owners fault. i read somwherere, couple of weeks ago that the league had not presented the players with all of the proper financial documents. so maybe thats wat the league owners neeed to do atthe next meeting. if the gross payroll of the league is around 2 bill, then the players forfeiting about 100-150 mill/year is very reasonable, i think thats the figure the owers are asking for.

i do beleive most teams in the nba area losing money. i see so many ubsinesses with large customer bases, losing money like crazy and closing doors forever. the players need to be smart and not let their greed ruin a really good thing. the money they make now andwill make after this current cba is still 100s of times better than what 95% of americans make. im pretty sure few mils a year is enough to "feed the family" is this crappy economy.

FuriousJatt
06-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Increasing revenue sharing would help that. Additionally, give teams amnesty clause to cut one contract per team every 3 years while still having guaranteed contracts as a safeguard against players who quit on themselves and their team or mysteriously stop producing. Less Lakers, Heat, Celtics in primetime to promote other teams. Give a christmas game to someone else other than the Lakers-heat-celtices for once. Consider contraction of 2 teams and set up a draft for these players for teams in order of losing record to lessen the gap between the top and bottom. Lower MAX contracts so the disparity between the veteran's minimum and the MAX isn't so shocking. With these giant contracts, players own the franchise. Reduce the MAX by 25 percent and give money back to the owners to use for franchise improvement. Change the name of the Charlotte Bobcats to the Charlotte Flyers with a cool Wrights Brother logo on the jersey akin to the retro Raptor Jersey because the last owner was an ego-driven who named the BOBcats after himself instead of a name that fit Charlotte. Change the Grizzlies name which fit for Vancouver to the Memphis Blues and have a music festival whenever the Utah Jazz and Memphis Blues play a game. Invest more money in Advertising on other channels such as AMC, FX, TLC, BIO, DISC, SPIKE by promoting the stories of these NBA players and increasing overall attention. Revamp ABC's broadcast formula for NBA games to include more recognizable figures such as Bob Costas and Al Michaelson and Marv Albert, change the theme song and color scheme, and fire Jeff Van Gundy. Increase the length of the regular season by stretching out 82 games over a longer period of time to give players a better chance to rest and the ability to have more weekend games so more families can attend. Raise ticket prices by 5 percent. Change the NBA to the IBA (international basketball association ) with divisions in Europe, Asia, South America, North America, and Africa to capitalize on the global economy. The NBA offer free financial consultant firms to aid any franchises in debt. What else could help...

i liked few things but heres what i didnt like. nobody wants to watch bottom feeders on christmas, i rather spend time with family instead of watching kings and hawks.
no need to make the season longer, it is longenough already. ppl cant pay more high prices for tickets, nba is not ready to expand to europe, asia or any other continent,

CavsYanksDuke
06-26-2011, 11:57 AM
just testing the sickest signature in the world made by knicksr4real. he is by far the best sig maker or psd

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-26-2011, 12:34 PM
I'd think they would announce it when they know that there would be no time at all to play a shortened season. So probably in January.