PDA

View Full Version : When Duncan won his 1st title, what were your expectations for the rest of his career

JordansBulls
06-24-2011, 10:14 PM
When Duncan won his first title, what were your expectations for the rest of his career? What I mean is, do you think he accomplished more than you expected him to, less than you expected him to or about what he ended up getting in his career as far as accolades and titles?

Giraffes Rule
06-24-2011, 10:40 PM
I was 8, I didn't expect anything. Just enjoyed it while it happened.

TRF929
06-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Easily surpassed any expectations. How many guys can you expect to win 4 Championships and 2 league MVP's in a row, just to name a few awards.

Duncan had no where near the expectation thats on Bron Bron.

Another reason not many if any could expect his career is the city he's in. San Antonio is small market, so they don't attract big names to help, so they had to work in drafts to get talent. Plus they don't spend over cap by millions and millions like BOS and LAL do. He's never played with another player thats on his level, unlike LAL, MIA, BOS, NY is trying. That only says its so much more special, that it was only him leading the team and not a pair of players

Jewelz0376
06-24-2011, 11:42 PM
He is imo the greatest pf to ever play....and maybe saying I expected that is a little much...but at the same time he was 1st team all nba his first two seasons and on the all d teams also....If your that good in your first couple seasons chances are your going to be one of the greats...

So i expected him to become a hof'er, but idk if I can go as far as saying I expected him to become the greatest pf ever...so yes he exceeded my expectations, but not by much...

iggypop123
06-25-2011, 12:18 AM
it was a lockout title. it was tough for me to judge his sucess. and 8th seed made the finals.

Bruno
06-25-2011, 12:18 AM
He surpassed my expectations. I never thought he'd win four while Bryant and Shaq were still doing their thing. I started to accept what he had become when the Spurs knocked out LA in 2003.

LakersMaster24
06-25-2011, 12:39 AM
When he wont his first ring back in 1999, I thought he will win a couple more, but definetly not during the Shaq and Kobe era...he proved me wrong.

Greet
06-25-2011, 12:42 AM
I think Duncan was surrounded by very good players through out his career.

gaughan333
06-25-2011, 12:43 AM
He has proved me wrong with not only how great he was during his prime, but the fact he continues to compete. he is the most fundamental player I have witnessed in my life and I think it would be to the detriment of the NBA if he did not end up as some sort of coach for a team. People can call the big fundamental boring all they want, he is one of my top 5 favorite players.

Hawkeye15
06-25-2011, 12:44 AM
He won what I expected. I was 14 when the Wolves started. In the early 90's, the Spurs started to get good. By the time Duncan came, it was the season where the Admiral was hurt, but the team threw in the towel. Duncan had so much support from day 1, I expected him to win titles.

Kobe as well. Tons of help. Its not that hard to predict great players from stacked teams will win

MiamiWadeCounty
06-25-2011, 12:49 AM
I expected him to be a cocky little ***** since he always talks trash and acts like ****ing thug. (sarcasm) I don't think anyone expected him to become imo the greatest PF ever and win 4 rings against tough competition.

TRF929
06-25-2011, 12:57 AM
He has proved me wrong with not only how great he was during his prime, but the fact he continues to compete. he is the most fundamental player I have witnessed in my life and I think it would be to the detriment of the NBA if he did not end up as some sort of coach for a team. People can call the big fundamental boring all they want, he is one of my top 5 favorite players.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but he's not going to coach. He MAY have something to do with the organization, like Robinson, but coaching is a negative. He's also stated how he doesn't wanna coach

But when they build the "Twin Towers" statue, he'll always be remembered.

I take back my coaching statement, he may coach for his kids...

gaughan333
06-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but he's not going to coach. He MAY have something to do with the organization, like Robinson, but coaching is a negative. He's also stated how he doesn't wanna coach

But when they build the "Twin Towers" statue, he'll always be remembered.

I take back my coaching statement, he may coach for his kids...

Sorry, I don't mean like NBA head coach. Coaching kids is a lot more what i meant. Like a skill developer. Some sort of coach I meant like working with their players etc.

JordansBulls
06-25-2011, 08:30 PM
I thought he would get between 2 to 3 titles like Hakeem or Bird.

Kevj77
06-25-2011, 08:52 PM
He lived up to expectations. Duncan was already a known quantity when he entered the NBA. He would have been the 1st overall pick if he had come out early, but he stayed 4 years in college. It was was a little like Lebron everyone knew he was going to go #1 and be an impact player.

dtmagnet
06-25-2011, 09:07 PM
I knew he would be a hall of famer, didn't know he'd be the greatest power forward ever.

GoPacers33
06-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Idk i was 2 when he won his first. Hahahahahah

JordansBulls
06-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Idk i was 2 when he won his first. Hahahahahah

That's ok.:)

Antipod
06-26-2011, 09:08 AM
I thought that would be his only ring ...

JAZZNC
06-26-2011, 03:09 PM
I actually(as stupid as it sounds) figured he would have won another title or two. Probably would have if not for that lucky *** Fisher shot. I watched almost every game he played in college (Wake fan:)) and when he took that team with Rusty LaRue as the second best player to back to back ACC titles I knew he was absolutely for real. He had a good team around him with an all time great to play beside. As big of a Malone fan as I was I pretty much knew that after that first title he was going to take the greatest PF of all time title away from my man Malone. I guess I'd have to say I expected what he's done in the NBA, he's too hard of a worker and one of the best kind of leaders to have to not have success.

ink
06-26-2011, 04:11 PM
More titles, more of the same. One of the all-time greats from the start, tutored by another of the all-time greats.

king4day
06-26-2011, 04:37 PM
I wasn't that into basketball then to have thought of this. But if I was, I probably woulda thought he exceeded expectations.

Heediot
06-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Underachieved. I expected 8-10 rings. 5 MVPs. GOAT!!!

JordansBulls
06-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Underachieved. I expected 8-10 rings. 5 MVPs. GOAT!!!
Are you serious here?

Lakers + Giants
06-26-2011, 10:13 PM
All i know is that he's one of the most underrated players of all time IMO.

Geargo Wallace
06-26-2011, 10:25 PM
All i know is that he's one of the most underrated players of all time IMO.

I'd say he is one of the more unappreciated players of our time. ppl know about his greatness and respect him, but I think there will be a big void out there when he retires. I'm gonna' miss him. My favorite player of all time.

Cal827
06-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Not 1, Not 2, Not 3, Not 4, Not 5.... lol just joking around

I saw him winning a couple more after his first. Wonder if he can get another one.

Bunta
06-27-2011, 12:37 AM
He surpassed my expectations. I never thought he'd win four while Bryant and Shaq were still doing their thing. I started to accept what he had become when the Spurs knocked out LA in 2003.

--This. It's clear this decade belongs to the Lakers, and yet they still managed to snatch 3.

Bunta
06-27-2011, 12:39 AM
I'd say he is one of the more unappreciated players of our time. ppl know about his greatness and respect him, but I think there will be a big void out there when he retires. I'm gonna' miss him. My favorite player of all time.

Fundamentals of that degree are often ignored.

Cromedome
06-27-2011, 05:20 AM
I thought he'd end up as 1 of the most boring PF's of all time. Looks like I was right.

Heediot
06-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Are you serious here?

No! I knew he was going be a legend, give or take 1-2 ships.

Daze9900
06-27-2011, 07:02 AM
When he wont his first ring back in 1999, I thought he will win a couple more, but definetly not during the Shaq and Kobe era...he proved me wrong.

This

sventhedog
06-27-2011, 07:15 AM
no one really expected much. remember how they kept on trying to underrate their win because it was not a full season. but most of them kind of shut up when they won 3 more.