PDA

View Full Version : What Were the Kings Thinking?

nimazahir
06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Why did they trade their #7 pick when brandon knight was still there.
They went to #10, lost beno, and now are taking on salmons bad contract.
Jimmer wont be a good fit with them IMO, i think he will be a good back up though.
They did draft honneycut at #35 which was good.
If they drafted knight they would have been

knight
evans
casspi, honneycut, or green
thompson
cousins

blastmasta26
06-24-2011, 02:27 PM
I think Jimmer could possibly work, but I didn't understand the Salmons move.

Crom-Viscera
06-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Jimmer is gonna be a good player for them

JWO35
06-24-2011, 02:35 PM
I agree, Sacramento should have waited until they were on the clock to pull the trade off, just to see who was available....but Hey! It worked out for the Pistons

nimazahir
06-24-2011, 02:36 PM
he could be good, if he learns defense, but he isnt a good fit with them.
they needed a good pg(not a scoring pg like jimmer) and that guy was knight; they ****ed up.

Raoul Duke
06-24-2011, 02:50 PM
It's as if all the moves they made were by different members of the FO, all with seperate agendas. I had two thoughts when it happened. The first was "the Maloofs obviously love Jimmer and made the decision", and the second was "they obviously have no idea what to do with 'Reke". The Salmons thing was just... dude. Dude.

D-Leethal
06-24-2011, 03:07 PM
I think Jimmer is a great compliment to Tyreke. Tyreke will handle the majority of the ball handling/distributing/drive and dishing ala Lebron James lite while Jimmer is used as an off the ball scorer/shooter/floor spreader..........they need a guy who doesn't need the ball to compliment Tyreke and that is exactly what they got

D1JM
06-24-2011, 03:12 PM
they need people to fill up the seats. jimmer is $. they need a new stadium

DerekRE_3
06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Director of player personnel Jerry Reynolds said on the radio today that they had both Kemba Walker and Jimmer Fredette rated higher than Brandon Knight and they expected him to fall.

The kings were thinking that Tyreke Evans needs shooters around him and guys that can also handle it and pass a bit. They will now have Marcus Thornton and Jimmer Fredette to do that.

Oh and the OP having Casspi as the 1st string sf shows he knows nothing about the Kings.

Raoul Duke
06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
I think Jimmer is a great compliment to Tyreke. Tyreke will handle the majority of the ball handling/distributing/drive and dishing ala Lebron James lite while Jimmer is used as an off the ball scorer/shooter/floor spreader..........they need a guy who doesn't need the ball to compliment Tyreke and that is exactly what they got

I dunno. I've never watched a game where he Jimmer didn't completely dominate the ball. I'm not an avid college hoopsfan, though, so maybe I'm missing something.

arkanian215
06-24-2011, 03:23 PM

And then on the other end, whoever Jimmer is guarding beats him off the dribble.

PrettyBoyJ
06-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Jimmer maybe a liability on defense but I never under estimate the power of work ethic.. If someone has the drive to be good at something they're going to work on their craft until they perfect it.. I'm not sayin He'll be a lock down defender but I think he'll work on his D to be good enough to stay in this league

mark1125
06-24-2011, 03:38 PM
I think the Kings made a big mistake as I think Knight is legit, but is Sacramento prefers Jimmer, then they did what they needed to do. As someone said, he is a draw. I don't see him ever being much more than an 8th man or the like, but unlike many posters here at PSD, I will readily admit I am not an expert in the field of talent evaluations.

The Embassy
06-24-2011, 03:38 PM
taking Salmons was...lol. you already have marcus thornton who is younger, better,
more exciting. should've just kept udrih.

DerekRE_3
06-24-2011, 03:40 PM
I dunno. I've never watched a game where he Jimmer didn't completely dominate the ball. I'm not an avid college hoopsfan, though, so maybe I'm missing something.

That's because he was the only player on his team. It's not like he only knows how to shoot off the dribble. He's going to spread the floor on defense and he can put out more effort on defense he won't be counted on to score every point.

Mplsman
06-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Jimmer is nice off the bench.

DerekRE_3
06-24-2011, 03:50 PM
taking Salmons was...lol. you already have marcus thornton who is younger, better,
more exciting. should've just kept udrih.

Salmons will play the 3. Thornton the 2.

AddiX
06-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Mark my words, jimmer will be a terrible player in the NBA. These teams take these guys to sell tickets, and always forget it takes all but a few weeks of bad play for there pre NBA fame to ware off.

He won't guard anyone and he won't get shots off on the NBA level.

KingPosey
06-24-2011, 04:10 PM
^
He will absolutely get shots off. Thats pretty stupid to say.

FarOutIos
06-24-2011, 04:24 PM
I was not on the Jimmer bandwagon before the pick. Especially didn't understand the trade. But as a Kings fan, I can understand why we did it.

1) Filling seats. Right now, the kings players don't have a great rep around town, so the white collar fans don't come out as much. Jimmer will help target that group.

2) Jimmer's attitude. There's no question that Jimmer is a good locker room presence. His work ethic is probably something that players like Cousins could learn from.

3) Shooting. Of the three players- Knight, Kemba and Jimmer- Jimmer is the best shooter. Thats something this team lacks. And now with 3 guards who can play both PG and SG, we have good versatility.

4) John Salmons. I think he is past his prime and would have been exactly what we needed a few years ago. But the fact that remains he is still a decent vet who can play SF and help with the professionalism needed in the locker room. As mentioned above, Jimmer is a good locker room presence, but I doubt Jimmer can tell Cousins to work harder. Salmons might be able to.

5) Salaries. We have wanted to add a player like Salmons, and most fans expected to do it through free agency... but we would still have Beno's contract and he would become the 4th guard with Jimmer on board. Now we have a contract that is only 1 year and about a million $ per year bigger when options are considered. And this is now for a player who will probably start, not come off the bench as Beno would have done.

6) Dalambert. I think our FO really wants to resign him. This is unlikely though. But it would have been more difficult to sign him, sign Thornton (which is a must) AND sign a vet SF free agent. So dealing for Salmons improves our chances of signing Dalambert... who's defense helps stop the penetration that might occur with the player that Jimmer guards...

So while I may have also preferred other picks, or better trades. I can understand the thinking. Now we have to see if the overall effort improves. If so, we should be a playoff team this year.

dtmagnet
06-24-2011, 04:38 PM
I thought they should have just chosen Jimmer at 7 or whatever if they really wanted him, no reason to take on Salmons.

Lake_Show2416
06-24-2011, 04:53 PM
this draft isn't really clear cut on whose the better of the players, the Kings got their guy & John Salmons. I thought it was a pretty good deal, plus the trade occurred before Knight dropped.... hines site is 20/20 but overall they did a great job

Raoul Duke
06-24-2011, 05:08 PM
That's because he was the only player on his team. It's not like he only knows how to shoot off the dribble. He's going to spread the floor on defense and he can put out more effort on defense he won't be counted on to score every point.

You could be right, but the story his college career tells is one of a guy that needs to ball in his hands a lot to be effective.

I think he's an NBA talent, and I think he'll stick, but I have some serious doubts about him starting or running the point.

Jamiecballer
06-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Mark my words, jimmer will be a terrible player in the NBA. These teams take these guys to sell tickets, and always forget it takes all but a few weeks of bad play for there pre NBA fame to ware off.

amen.

lackluster athleticism and the arms of an alligator = good luck getting a good look at the rim.

beasted86
06-24-2011, 05:33 PM
John Salmons always plays good after a trade... so Kings might make the playoffs.

Durant is hype
06-24-2011, 05:58 PM
John Salmons always plays good after a trade... so Kings might make the playoffs.

John Salmons had a GREAT DEFENSIVE year,last year!

Chronz
06-24-2011, 05:58 PM
4) John Salmons. I think he is past his prime and would have been exactly what we needed a few years ago.

http://www.nba.com/media/jsalmons_300_071204.jpg

HUH?

Chronz
06-24-2011, 06:04 PM
5) Salaries. We have wanted to add a player like Salmons, and most fans expected to do it through free agency... but we would still have Beno's contract and he would become the 4th guard with Jimmer on board. Now we have a contract that is only 1 year and about a million $ per year bigger when options are considered. And this is now for a player who will probably start, not come off the bench as Beno would have done.

Thats a pretty good way to spin it, gotta hand it to you I was almost convinced myself but I like the way this sactown blogger put it;

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2011/6/24/2242001/jimmer-fredette-john-salmons-sacramento-kings
The Kings made the trade to clear the point guard decks for the pick, Jimmer. In doing so, the Kings added $10 million of salary for an older, worse player. They traded down, and the roster situation got worse. That doesn't happen. That's not supposed to happen.

Is Salmons a better fit than Beno on a team with Jimmer, Tyreke Evans and Marcus Thornton in the backcourt and Donte Greene, Omri Casspi and Francisco Garcia at small forward? Sure. Definitely. Is that enough to make up for the difference in quality? Maybe. Is that enough to make up for the difference in quality and the difference in salary commitment? No. No. No way.

John Salmons is not a $10 million upgrade over Beno Udrih. No one can convince me of this.

DEAD ON

Kings delayed their rebuilding process by another year with this move, Id rather have Beno than Salmons at the very least find another serviceable SF with Beno.

beasted86
06-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Don't worry guys, Salmons is going to beast for you guys for at least 1 half of the season.

After that, unfortunately he'll just add to the mediocrity at the SF the Kings have had of guys who are not good enough to start, but good enough to warrant being in the rotation.

Voodoo Alchemy
06-24-2011, 06:12 PM
im not a big fan of brandon knight. to me, jimmer is a better choice hands down but thats jus my opinion. team system, coaching, situations, playing time, work ethic, injuries, luck, etc will determine a players outcome, not when they were selected in the draft.

Sly Guy
06-24-2011, 06:13 PM

I agree, it's easier to turn jimmer into a deadly off the ball shooter of a ray allen/RIP mould than it is to turn him into an NBA ready point guard.

Voodoo Alchemy
06-24-2011, 06:17 PM

i disagree, i think jimmer will be the nex white chocolate. it took nash many years before he was a premier pg.

beasted86
06-24-2011, 06:21 PM
You can't help but think about JJ Reddick when it comes to Jimmer though.

Same unlimited range type player with doubts of their ability to run an offense or play defense.

AddiX
06-24-2011, 06:24 PM
i disagree, i think jimmer will be the nex white chocolate. it took nash many years before he was a premier pg.

There only similarities are there skin color.

What jimmer can't do, he is terrible at. It's not like he's average or just below average in those areas. He's horrible at a lot of things, good at one. And extremely undersized and under athletic.

Jimmer is not a NBA level player.

CityofTreez
06-24-2011, 06:25 PM
DEAD ON

Kings delayed their rebuilding process by another year with this move, Id rather have Beno than Salmons at the very least find another serviceable SF with Beno.

Agree and Disagree.

What we needed most is a SF who could improve our defense from last year's medicore excuse for a defensive effort. The biggest issue was finding a serviceable SF through FA or a trade. We got a serviceable SF, was it a great move? No. Was it a move that we needed? Yes.

Alot of Kings fans thought that Gay, Prince, Battier would come over via trade/FA (some of those mentioned were rumored to be moving). John Salmons coming over proved that not one of those candidates are coming over, We're the Sac Kings at the end of the day, who would want to come here.

As for Beno, he was a bench player, Salmons will come in and Start. We may have haulted the development, but this team needed a veteran SF who could bring some defense to a lackluster defensive team and help out the Youth. Beno fit well in Westphal's system and improved immensely in his Time spent here. But, he could never make a layup with his Right Hand, and couldn't play defense at all. He will be missed, but Jimmer is supposedly to help out with that, and but Beno's salary and his time spent on the Bench isn't going to bother me seeing him Gone!

CityofTreez
06-24-2011, 06:28 PM

OK NBA Scout, whatever you Say.....

I'm not that BIG on drafting Jimmer, but he hasn't even played a single minute in the League yet. Who really knows if he is not an NBA level player.

Voodoo Alchemy
06-24-2011, 06:29 PM

What jimmer can't do, he is terrible at. It's not like he's average or just below average in those areas. He's horrible at a lot of things, good at one. And extremely undersized and under athletic.

that's funny, nba scouts, coaches, writers, experts, team management and a whole bunch of people thought he is ready. guess you know a lot more about basketball then they do.

fyi, neither was nash or kobe when they were drafted. kobe rode the bench for 3 years before he became a starter behind eddie jones.

Voodoo Alchemy
06-24-2011, 06:33 PM

Same unlimited range type player with doubts of their ability to run an offense or play defense.

imo, jimmer will have a better career than jj reddick. reddick was not in a great situation. i didn't really care for him either.

jimmer has better qualities than reddick does to run an offense. the guy is going to be a top scorer one day.

FarOutIos
06-24-2011, 06:41 PM
amen.

lackluster athleticism and the arms of an alligator = good luck getting a good look at the rim.

Not saying he is a great athlete, but he certainly is focused. And in the athletic testing pre-draft he tested higher than expected. In fact, he was the top 2 or 3 of lane agility... which is more of the skill needed in the nba as a point guard.

Bizle14
06-24-2011, 07:44 PM
First and foremost. THANK YOU KEVIN JOHNSON!!!!

Our focus now is not whether or not our team will exist or not, its back to this incredibly ridiculous banter!! Its quite silly to me how every one is bashing the pick and trade but I am not surprised. In fact I am happy! AGAIN we have a team to argue about, er... share our own opinions.

Here is mine. The draft is a crap shoot each and every year....need I remind of Ralph Sampson....You never know what you are going to get in a draft. What we did get for sure is some energy and excitement, and a PURE SHOOTER!!! If I am correct here, that is one of the glaring needs we had to address? Jimmer is going to shoot the lights out of the gym, and all that say he needs the ball to do so just dont understand the difference between creating your shot and making set shots. Tyreke and Demarcus will be our playmakers/creators on offense. With Marcus Thornton and Francisco(proven shooters) you add a legit offensive weapon who can light it up. Tyreke and DeMarcus will handle the rock and dish to our lethal shooters. Everybody is worried about defense.... uhhh anybody remember Mike Bibby!?!?!? We made due before, this guy is young and as many have pointed out has the will and determination to be good. You may not be able to teach running faster or jumping higher but you CAN teach defense!! Its a will and desire to play defense not an intrinsic natural ability...of course that can help.

To those that think Kemba or Brandon Knight would have been a better selection have nothing to base this off of???? See "crap shoot!" How many drafts end up with complete busts? I wont look at stats but i am going to guestimate at least 50%?? Kemba is the exact same player as Tyreke? Maybe a better jumper(for now). Brandon Knight has been compared to Tyreke as well?? Would have been happy with either but again, you just dont know what you will get in a player. With that being said I am happy that the Kings are rolling the dice with Jimmer.

The trade. REALLY YALL? Dissin John Salmons? Dude is a baller and plays his ARSE off!!! Beno was making a ton of money playing spot minutes. John has an extra year, but he will be more serviceable than a 4th guard on the bench. We needed a SF who can instantly step in a provide valuable minutes while we get more experience for young'n's Donte and Omri.

There is a wait and see to everything when it comes to drafts and additions to a team. The idea behind these moves is well justified in my mind. We addressed two glaring needs. You know what you get out of John, and everyone is saying what Jimmer cant do or what he wont be, but just what if, he brings Jimmermania to Sacramento and the NBA. Just imagine Jimmer playing adequate defense and lighting defenders up on the fast break with 3-point daggers. If you put an AP Collegiate Player of the year on the floor with Tyreke Evans, Demarcus Cousins, Marcus Thornton, etc. teams are going to have issues. BIG ISSUES!!

Go KINGS!!!! Lets hope Barkley's assumption is wrong and we get to watch a full and exciting season of Sacramento Kings Basketball!!!!

Stuckey#3
06-24-2011, 08:04 PM
There is a reason consistenly bad teams are bad... they have bad front offices.

Cleveland drafting Thompson at #4 when they could have traded down to get him or an equal talent?

Minnesota drafting prospect after prospect for years when they could easily trade for veteran leadership. And selling picks that they aquired for veterans.

SacTown moving down and downgrading its roster by taking on a player they traded four years ago?

New Orleans should just trade CP3 right and have a fullout firesale because all they are doing is trying to save money before the team is sold and moved.

drobe86
06-25-2011, 01:07 AM
Idk why they brought Salmons back... But Jimmer to Sac town was pretty good... He'll thrive there, and the Kings WILL be playing in Sacramento going forward.... That's awesome

drobe86
06-25-2011, 01:09 AM
First and foremost. THANK YOU KEVIN JOHNSON!!!!

Our focus now is not whether or not our team will exist or not, its back to this incredibly ridiculous banter!! Its quite silly to me how every one is bashing the pick and trade but I am not surprised. In fact I am happy! AGAIN we have a team to argue about, er... share our own opinions.

Here is mine. The draft is a crap shoot each and every year....need I remind of Ralph Sampson....You never know what you are going to get in a draft. What we did get for sure is some energy and excitement, and a PURE SHOOTER!!! If I am correct here, that is one of the glaring needs we had to address? Jimmer is going to shoot the lights out of the gym, and all that say he needs the ball to do so just dont understand the difference between creating your shot and making set shots. Tyreke and Demarcus will be our playmakers/creators on offense. With Marcus Thornton and Francisco(proven shooters) you add a legit offensive weapon who can light it up. Tyreke and DeMarcus will handle the rock and dish to our lethal shooters. Everybody is worried about defense.... uhhh anybody remember Mike Bibby!?!?!? We made due before, this guy is young and as many have pointed out has the will and determination to be good. You may not be able to teach running faster or jumping higher but you CAN teach defense!! Its a will and desire to play defense not an intrinsic natural ability...of course that can help.

To those that think Kemba or Brandon Knight would have been a better selection have nothing to base this off of???? See "crap shoot!" How many drafts end up with complete busts? I wont look at stats but i am going to guestimate at least 50%?? Kemba is the exact same player as Tyreke? Maybe a better jumper(for now). Brandon Knight has been compared to Tyreke as well?? Would have been happy with either but again, you just dont know what you will get in a player. With that being said I am happy that the Kings are rolling the dice with Jimmer.

The trade. REALLY YALL? Dissin John Salmons? Dude is a baller and plays his ARSE off!!! Beno was making a ton of money playing spot minutes. John has an extra year, but he will be more serviceable than a 4th guard on the bench. We needed a SF who can instantly step in a provide valuable minutes while we get more experience for young'n's Donte and Omri.

There is a wait and see to everything when it comes to drafts and additions to a team. The idea behind these moves is well justified in my mind. We addressed two glaring needs. You know what you get out of John, and everyone is saying what Jimmer cant do or what he wont be, but just what if, he brings Jimmermania to Sacramento and the NBA. Just imagine Jimmer playing adequate defense and lighting defenders up on the fast break with 3-point daggers. If you put an AP Collegiate Player of the year on the floor with Tyreke Evans, Demarcus Cousins, Marcus Thornton, etc. teams are going to have issues. BIG ISSUES!!

Go KINGS!!!! Lets hope Barkley's assumption is wrong and we get to watch a full and exciting season of Sacramento Kings Basketball!!!!

I agree with you... I believe Jimmer will be a solid pro,and be one of the building blocks of an up and coming team in the Kings

gaughan333
06-25-2011, 01:43 AM

Jimmer and nash are not even sort of the same player. Jimmer and Jason williams are not even sort of the same player. I don't understand your comparison here.

gaughan333
06-25-2011, 01:44 AM

Although I agree with everything else you have said, I don't agree with this. I see him being a very successful bench player. He will come in and provide some instant offense.

JoeyBoy718
06-25-2011, 02:03 AM
Jimmer and nash are not even sort of the same player. Jimmer and Jason williams are not even sort of the same player. I don't understand your comparison here.

He's just making ignorant comparisons based on nothing but skin color. Don't mind him.

I like the pick, though. He'll be a good pro. He's gonna be a short version of Tyler Hansbrough.

kfranks22
06-25-2011, 02:10 AM

You're right, but to be fair I've heard a lot of people throw out Reddick and Morrison, and those comparisons are equally iggnorant. I'd say the most appropriate comparison that I don't really see people making would be Steph Curry. Both are undersized scorers who can light it up from behind the ark, create their own shots, and are liabilities on the defensive end when it comes to man defense.

gaughan333
06-25-2011, 02:12 AM
Steph is more athletic imo. I like jimmer, but I feel like branon knight would have been better for this team.

rocky4104
06-25-2011, 02:19 AM
they need people to fill up the seats. jimmer is $. they need a new stadium

^^^^ this

KingPosey
06-25-2011, 02:25 AM

wow, what a terrible comparison.

We got it, they are both white.

Voodoo Alchemy
06-25-2011, 02:44 AM

wasnt comparing the 2 players. my point was even a great pg like nash took many years, right system, players, etc. jimmer hasnt even played a game and yet everyone is throwing the guy under the bus. give him a few years to develop.

Kings Faithful
06-25-2011, 02:46 AM

Cleveland drafting Thompson at #4 when they could have traded down to get him or an equal talent?

Minnesota drafting prospect after prospect for years when they could easily trade for veteran leadership. And selling picks that they aquired for veterans.

SacTown moving down and downgrading its roster by taking on a player they traded four years ago?

New Orleans should just trade CP3 right and have a fullout firesale because all they are doing is trying to save money before the team is sold and moved.

Saying Sacramento has a bad front office is ridiculous. We've made some not so great trades over the years as far as talent goes...but some of those trades were necessary to move on from the glory years and drop salaries. The Kings are pretty well known for being excellent talent evaluators in the draft since the current staff has been running the show....

CityofTreez
06-25-2011, 02:56 AM
Jimmer is a Mess...........

Give me 24 hours to Respond, out of Respect for a virgin named Jimmer!

CityofTreez
06-25-2011, 02:59 AM
^^^^ this

You go to Our games? I could care less about THIS!

CityofTreez
06-25-2011, 03:00 AM
wow, what a terrible comparison.

We got it, they are both white.

What comparison would you give him?

J.J. Redick?

Tell me Otherwise.........

Knicks21
06-25-2011, 03:23 AM
Kings have a lot of depth and the 2 spot that is for sure.
Jimmer 15-20ppg
Thornton 20+ppg
Tyreke 15-20ppg

None of these players can run the true point which may become a bit of a problem.

Knicks21
06-25-2011, 03:28 AM

J.J. Redick?

First off Jimmer isnt a pass first type of player, which is why he is not J Will. At the very best i think he could be a Ellis w/o the athleticism. Its hard to say as it is sort of a new breed of player.

CityofTreez
06-25-2011, 05:17 AM
First off Jimmer isnt a pass first type of player, which is why he is not J Will. At the very best i think he could be a Ellis w/o the athleticism. Its hard to say as it is sort of a new breed of player.

Sadly, Great Point, you can't compare Jimmer to anyone until he plays a minute on the Court!

sacgiants1213
06-25-2011, 05:26 AM
I think Jimmer compares to Jimmer.

king4day
06-25-2011, 05:07 PM
It wasn't clear at the time, but the Kings considered Fredette and Connecticut's Walker more NBA-ready than Kentucky's Knight and likely would have passed on Knight at No. 10 even if he was there. The Fredette-Walker race was a very close one, and the marketing dollars and fan interest Fredette can bring certainly didn't hurt with his case. The Kings, to review, are likely to leave Sacramento after next season unless city officials and the Maloof family that owns the team can get an arena deal in place.

As for the three-team trade that took them from No. 7 to No. 10, point guard minutes were immediately made available when Beno Udrih was sent to Milwaukee. John Salmons, who played mostly small forward during his previous stint with the Kings, is back from the Bucks and will play that role again.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/06/24/draft.grades/index.html#ixzz1QK9UF3is

Maybe this is part of why they did the deal. Doesn't look like they cared about Knight regardless of availability.

JLynn943
06-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Although I really wish we still had Beno, as long as the FO truly believe Jimmer is the real deal, the trade makes some sense. Salmons, regardless of having been here before, is an instant upgrade at the 3. We're a mess as far as a true PG goes though unless Tyreke seriously develops that part of his game.

I would have rather had us draft Knight and then take one of the 500 good SFs in next year's draft, but I don't run the team. Just have to trust Petrie...

tyfreaks brotha
06-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Lol at some people who do not know **** about the Kings need. We filled our need and got a replacment maybe even better). Don't talk **** about teams you don't even follow or know. K thanks bye

xabial
06-25-2011, 07:40 PM
From what i could understand The Kings coached heavily Favored Salmons, and wanted him.

iFYouSeekAmy
06-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Before the Salmons trade, I thought the Kings should've drafted Leonard or Singleton since they needed a defensive 3 the worst way. I didn't really like the Jimmer pick, but knowing the Kings' situation, I would understand to some extent why they did it.

xabial
06-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Before the Salmons trade, I thought the Kings should've drafted Leonard or Singleton since they needed a defensive 3 the worst way. I didn't really like the Jimmer pick, but knowing the Kings' situation, I would understand to some extent why they did it.

So you'd think Jimmer's NBA potential and Market Potential is worth Taking on Salmons Contract?

Storch
06-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Maybe they're going to trade Tyreke Evans for a big name player :shrug:

Kyle N.
06-26-2011, 01:27 AM
^Yes and no. No to trading Tyreke and yes for Olivia Wilde.

KingPosey
06-26-2011, 01:31 AM

J.J. Redick?

you are just comparing him to white players, that is stupid.

I honestly think his game is comparable to Bibby's. When you look at their size, physical strength, athleticism, range, types of pgs. And im talking about young Bibby, not Heat Bibby. watch Jimmer around the basket and tell me im wrong.

Phenomenonsense
06-26-2011, 01:47 AM
I hope Jimmer does well for the Kings. If he fails, there is literally no way to live that trade down, especially if Knight excels. I personally am not high on Knight, Walker, or Jimmer. Seriously hope I'm wrong. At least Knight is very smart and a hard worker. Gives me some hope.

DerekRE_3
06-26-2011, 01:52 AM
Maybe they're going to trade Tyreke Evans for a big name player :shrug:

No. Fredette is a great compliment to Reke. Put a shooter next to the slasher. Fredette is underrated as a playmaker as well.

hyb152
06-26-2011, 02:23 AM
U guys are all stupid. They made the correct move trading for Salmons. Who cares if they missed Knight? They already have TOO MANY young guys. They needed a vet. Their SF spot has been so inconsistent with Greene and Casspi. The kings coach really pushed for Salmons, a steady consistent vet at the SF that brings his 15 ppg to Sac. They still got a young pg in Jimmer too. The kings made the right move. There's a reason why their GM is considered one of the best in the NBA.

Their GM drafted Gerald Wallace, Kevin Martin, Turkoglu, and Peja Stojakovic, all late in the 1st round and were booed. Look at em now. The kings GM is crazy good.

DerekRE_3
06-26-2011, 02:33 AM
U guys are all stupid. They made the correct move trading for Salmons. Who cares if they missed Knight? They already have TOO MANY young guys. They needed a vet. Their SF spot has been so inconsistent with Greene and Casspi. The kings coach really pushed for Salmons, a steady consistent vet at the SF that brings his 15 ppg to Sac. They still got a young pg in Jimmer too. The kings made the right move. There's a reason why their GM is considered one of the best in the NBA.

Their GM drafted Gerald Wallace, Kevin Martin, Turkoglu, and Peja Stojakovic, all late in the 1st round and were booed. Look at em now. The kings GM is crazy good.

Petrie is one of the best at drafting, but he leaves some to be desired when it comes to trades and some of his free agent signings. Though in his defense most of his trades lately have been to dump salary.

Sadds The Gr8
06-26-2011, 02:35 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/jsalmons_300_071204.jpg

HUH?

LOL that's exactly what i was thinking

Storch
06-26-2011, 02:42 AM
^Yes and no. No to trading Tyreke and yes for Olivia Wilde.

I wasn't saying that I want Tyreke out, i was just trying to make sense of what the kings are doing. And yes for olivia wilde too :)

No. Fredette is a great compliment to Reke. Put a shooter next to the slasher. Fredette is underrated as a playmaker as well.

Fredette's awesome, I wish we had him on the Lakers

LA_Raiders
06-26-2011, 03:12 AM
The only reasonable thing is that the Maloofs are mormons...

LA_Raiders
06-26-2011, 03:14 AM

Yeah, thats why they have so many ships...

KingPosey
06-26-2011, 02:02 PM
You guys dont realize the King's front office did not want Knight. They may be wrong about him, but the trade didnt make them "miss" him. They werent gonna draft him if Jimmer was there regardless.

KingPosey
06-26-2011, 02:04 PM
Yeah, thats why they have so many ships...

We arent all the main team in the 2nd largest economy in the country. Andd if you want to go there, you were given our "ship" for free in 02.

tyfreaks brotha
06-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Thats a pretty good way to spin it, gotta hand it to you I was almost convinced myself but I like the way this sactown blogger put it;

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2011/6/24/2242001/jimmer-fredette-john-salmons-sacramento-kings
The Kings made the trade to clear the point guard decks for the pick, Jimmer. In doing so, the Kings added $10 million of salary for an older, worse player. They traded down, and the roster situation got worse. That doesn't happen. That's not supposed to happen.

Is Salmons a better fit than Beno on a team with Jimmer, Tyreke Evans and Marcus Thornton in the backcourt and Donte Greene, Omri Casspi and Francisco Garcia at small forward? Sure. Definitely. Is that enough to make up for the difference in quality? Maybe. Is that enough to make up for the difference in quality and the difference in salary commitment? No. No. No way.

John Salmons is not a $10 million upgrade over Beno Udrih. No one can convince me of this.

DEAD ON

Kings delayed their rebuilding process by another year with this move, Id rather have Beno than Salmons at the very least find another serviceable SF with Beno.Yes Salmons is worse :rolleyes: we needed a SF we got him

Same unlimited range type player with doubts of their ability to run an offense or play defense.I'm not seeing that at all

Seeing as your a Pistons fan :laugh: we needed a ****ing capable starting SF we got him. Were a lot better now

Kings have a lot of depth and the 2 spot that is for sure.
Jimmer 15-20ppg
Thornton 20+ppg
Tyreke 15-20ppg

None of these players can run the true point which may become a bit of a problem.
Evans can run it just fine.

I think Jimmer compares to Jimmer.
:nod:

The only reasonable thing is that the Maloofs are mormons...And the only reasonable explanation for your comment is because your an LA fan... Oh **** did I say that out loaud?

We arent all the main team in the 2nd largest economy in the country. Andd if you want to go there, you were given our "ship" for free in 02.

:nod:

I'm sorry, but a lot of you are morons. Salmons is a great veteran leader we needed AND still got the player we wanted all along.

mark1125
06-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Basically we have this:

Kings fan think he is John Stockton.

Non-King fans think Hurley.

Gators123
06-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Is Jimmer going to start at PG?

raidersrock99
06-26-2011, 06:58 PM
what was the biggest thing about this draft...it was the weakest draft in years. so the kings went for the biggest hit or miss guy there was good pick

Sactown
06-26-2011, 06:58 PM
The Maloofs wanted Jimmer not the GM.. The Coach wanted Salmons not the GM so don't throw Petrie under the bus...
Jimmer is not going to be Steve Nash or John Stockton.. He could be great and he could be a bust, but we won't know tell he plays. I wanted Knight, but obviously the Maloofs wanted Jimmer. Some experts think the Kings are crazy some think it was a great move.. FYI Solmons can be cut in his third season as he is only guaranteed 1 million of it.

BroncoBuck
06-26-2011, 07:21 PM
If you all honestly believe Salmons is going to play good for you at SF think again. We have one of the best defensive coaches in the league and even he couldn't get Salmons to do **** playing SF. Terrible defense all day, he was a turnstile. Don't even get me started on his questionable shots or inability to hit open 3's.

Thank You, I never thought we would be able to get rid of his terrible contract. I don't understand why you didn't just draft Jimmer at 7.

DerekRE_3
06-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Basically we have this:

Kings fan think he is John Stockton.

Non-King fans think Hurley.

No Kings fans are saying he is John Stockton. And we will never know how good Bobby Hurley would have been:

The Kings had lost that night, one more loss in a season full of them. Hurley was not accustomed to that. He had always won, first at St. Anthony's High School in Jersey City, N.J., where his team won two state championships, then at Duke, where he helped the Blue Devils win two NCAA championships.

Now Hurley was driving down a darkened country road, driving away from another Sacramento loss, driving the way he routinely did, without engaging his seat belt. Hey, when you're 22, a pro athlete, a winner all your life, you don't think about seat belts.

That's when the collision occurred.

Counting his blessings

That could easily have been the end of his story. Hurley's car was pancaked. He has seen pictures of it and they send shudders through him.

He was thrown 100 feet into the ditch, his lungs collapsed. He had broken ribs, a fractured shoulder blade, a compression fracture of his lower back, a torn tendon in his right knee and soft tissue injuries. He was a mess.

Source: The Seattle Times (http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19940102&slug=1887804)

He was lucky to have even survived.

DetroitBadBoy
06-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Jimmer is not the next Redick, he's a lot better in my opinion. This pick was definitely to get people to come to the games. It was a good pick and I thank Sac for helping us get Knight.

GiantsSwaGG
06-26-2011, 07:34 PM
No Kings fans are saying he is John Stockton. And we will never know how good Bobby Hurley would have been:

Source: The Seattle Times (http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19940102&slug=1887804)

He was lucky to have even survived.

Damn he survived that!

PurpleJesus
06-26-2011, 07:46 PM
what other white busts can we compare him to?

THE MTL
06-26-2011, 08:17 PM
I have no clue why SAC did this trade. They traded Salmons before why get him back? And Salmons contract is worse than Beno Udrich's contract as well.

sacgiants1213
06-26-2011, 08:20 PM
I have no clue why SAC did this trade. They traded Salmons before why get him back? And Salmons contract is worse than Beno Udrich's contract as well.

Paul Westphal wanted Salmons and Petrie and the Maloofs thought it was fair to let Westphal have a say in the personnel decisions since this is his last year. So there's a lot of pressure on him right now.

Sactown
06-26-2011, 08:22 PM

If we cut him in his 3rd season it's only like 3.4 million more, plus they wanted to clear PT for Jimmer while adding a SF.. The trade isn't that bad honestly