PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets trade Felton to Blazers for Andre Miller, swap picks most likely too

LTBaByyy
06-23-2011, 09:39 PM
SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears

Nuggets get Andre Miller back from Portland for Raymond Felton. Probably swap picks.

LTBaByyy
06-23-2011, 09:40 PM
I believe the Nolan Smith was drafted by the Blazers to become the Nuggets back up for Lawson

KB24PG16
06-23-2011, 09:40 PM
wanst andre already nugget before too? good trade for portland

uptownfan
06-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Portland wins this trade. That's not to say that Miller won't help Denver though. There simply was just no room for Felton on the bench

LTBaByyy
06-23-2011, 09:45 PM
I am sure the Nuggets will waive Miller with his non guaranteed contract

Unless they want to pay him 7 million

TRF929
06-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Nuggets get Andre Miller back from Portland for Raymond Felton. Probably swap picks.

LTBaByyy
06-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Nolan Smith will be a great back up to Lawson

North Carolina - Duke

KB24PG16
06-23-2011, 09:48 PM
Blazers and Nuggets not swapping picks as part of the Felton-Andre Miller talks.

http://twitter.com/#!/chadfordinsider

Gambeezy
06-23-2011, 09:49 PM
What do you think Miller's worth on the open market now?

gbrl
06-23-2011, 09:49 PM
trades rolling in now

tp13baby
06-23-2011, 09:52 PM
ummm yeah i think Denver keeps Faried.

Gambeezy
06-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Miller would definitely be an upgrade from Bibby for the Heat. Just not sure he's ready for the Vet min. He's not worth the MLE though either.

lakersrock
06-23-2011, 09:54 PM

I wish the Lakers had the money. He doesn't really help our shooting, but he's much better on D than Fisher or Blake was.

IBleedPurple
06-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Felton wanted out, but Denver could've done better IMO. Especially trading to a rival

BradyIsTheMan12
06-23-2011, 10:11 PM
I wish the Lakers had the money. He doesn't really help our shooting, but he's much better on D than Fisher or Blake was.
Miller is a terrible defender by the way. He gets his fair share of steals, but he can't keep a quick point guard in front of him to save his life.

shep33
06-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Great trade for the Blazers, gives them someone who can create and score, who also happens to be much younger than Miller.

lakersrock
06-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Miller is a terrible defender by the way. He gets his fair share of steals, but he can't keep a quick point guard in front of him to save his life.

You saw Fisher and Blake get raped by PGs in both playoff series right? He would be an improvement at this point. Not a lot, but some.

BallIsAll
06-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Dont want this to go through unless picks are swapped

BradyIsTheMan12
06-23-2011, 10:22 PM
You saw Fisher and Blake get raped by PGs in both playoff series right? He would be an improvement at this point. Not a lot, but some.

Regardless, he doesn't make sense for the Lakers. Likes the ball in his hands too much. Plus, upgrading from crappy defense to bad defense is not all that helpful anyways.

Mudvayne91
06-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Dont want this to go through unless picks are swapped

Radio station in Denver is reporting we get Andre Miller, Hamilton and a future 2nd round pick. Portland gets Felton. Dallas gets Rudy Fernandez. It's a great deal for the Nugs.

BallIsAll
06-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Radio station in Denver is reporting we get Andre Miller, Hamilton and a future 2nd round pick. Portland gets Felton. Dallas gets Rudy Fernandez. It's a great deal for the Nugs.

yea hamilton is nice i would have rather nolan smith to back up ty tho

KingPosey
06-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Andre Miller is the most overlooked PG in the game. He does nothing but fill up the sheets.

KingPosey
06-23-2011, 10:53 PM

He may have flaws but he is a damn good PG in my opinion. He will easily have a job. I would like him on the Kings, and I know people with disagree with that.

Andre gets no love and he really is a good player. Denver wont keep him to play back up, and I doubt they brought him back to start.

KingPosey
06-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Miller would definitely be an upgrade from Bibby for the Heat. Just not sure he's ready for the Vet min. He's not worth the MLE though either.

I believe he is absolutely worth the MLE, ESPECIALLY for you guys. He plays PG the way it is defined. He can score when needed, but he sets up his team, runs the offense, and he can also rebound. He played well in the playoffs last season too, and he doesnt need to dominate the ball.

He is slow, but he can play pretty good help defense. I have no clue how he wouldnt be worth it to the Heat.

CountSackula
06-23-2011, 10:55 PM
:pity: Damn. There goes Felton.

KingPosey
06-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Regardless, he doesn't make sense for the Lakers. Likes the ball in his hands too much. Plus, upgrading from crappy defense to bad defense is not all that helpful anyways.

See this is why im defending him, such jaded opinions. Miller does not dominate the ball, hes a PG. He has the ball as much as he should, especially being a PG, and the 2nd or 3rd scoring option on his team after Roy was injured.

http://basketball-statistics.com/styleofplayofpointguards.html

BradyIsTheMan12
06-23-2011, 11:19 PM
See this is why im defending him, such jaded opinions. Miller does not dominate the ball, hes a PG. He has the ball as much as he should, especially being a PG, and the 2nd or 3rd scoring option on his team after Roy was injured.

http://basketball-statistics.com/styleofplayofpointguards.html
He doesn't score off the ball hardly ever. That's the point.

sventhedog
06-23-2011, 11:27 PM
miller was great at 50 first dates.

FuriousJatt
06-23-2011, 11:28 PM
i would be happy if the lakers do end up signing him

Mudvayne91
06-23-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm pretty sure the Nuggets are picking up his option here. There's no way in Hades they were considering the earlier rumor of Miller and the 21st pick for Felton and the 22nd pick if Miller was just going to walk. The Nuggets are good on cap space, so why the Nuggets trade Felton straight up just to move up one draft spot?Next year may be a different story, but I'm pretty confident he'll be with the Nuggets at least next season.

3ballbomber
06-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Good for Blazers.

BallIsAll
06-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm pretty sure the Nuggets are picking up his option here. There's no way in Hades they were considering the earlier rumor of Miller and the 21st pick for Felton and the 22nd pick if Miller was just going to walk. The Nuggets are good on cap space, so why the Nuggets trade Felton straight up just to move up one draft spot?Next year may be a different story, but I'm pretty confident he'll be with the Nuggets at least next season.

unless we're planning on trading him for someone else?

Punk
06-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Felton and Wallace reunion.

Mudvayne91
06-24-2011, 12:57 AM
unless we're planning on trading him for someone else?

I suppose anything is possible. I do know Karl absolutely loved Miller when he coached him. He was pretty upset when they traded him too. Honestly though, the Nuggets really could've used a guy like Andre Miller or a Chauncey Billups against OKC in the playoffs. We needed a game manager late in the game. If I recall right, we had a decent lead twice in that series with 3-5 minutes to go, but blew both of them. I don't think that would've happened if Chauncey or Miller were on the team.

LeonFSU
06-24-2011, 01:02 AM
I believe he is absolutely worth the MLE, ESPECIALLY for you guys. He plays PG the way it is defined. He can score when needed, but he sets up his team, runs the offense, and he can also rebound. He played well in the playoffs last season too, and he doesnt need to dominate the ball.

He is slow, but he can play pretty good help defense. I have no clue how he wouldnt be worth it to the Heat.

Agree completely. He is a pretty bad man defender, but he is great at playing the PG position.

DenButsu
06-24-2011, 04:40 AM
Nuggets fans can take a solid measure of pride in the work Masai Ujiri has done since taking the helm. He has passed his first two tests with flying colors.

Practically nobody thought he could produce a positive result from the inevitable Melo trade.

Yet here we are a year after most were predicting any number of doomsday scenarios for Denver, and they find themselves in a respectably strong positron.

Essentially, he turned Melo and Felton (both who quite possibly could have left Denver for nothing), along with Billups (who sadly has faded much faster than it seemed he would the previous season) and a 22nd in a weak draft, into:

Gallo, Chandler, Mozgov, Koufos, (an expiring or non- guaranteed) Andre Miller, Faried, Jordan Hamilton, and no small handful of future draft picks.

A commendable year's work for a rookie GM. He took a team that was supposed to slip into the dark recesses, and ushered them into a very bright future.

Today is a very happy day in Nuggetsland. :cool:

Avenged
06-24-2011, 12:54 PM
These 2 players are actually very similar aside from Millers horrible 3pt shooting.

Only reason why I think Portland got the better end is because Felton is 26 and Miller is 34.

DenButsu
06-24-2011, 01:33 PM
These 2 players are actually very similar aside from Millers horrible 3pt shooting.

Only reason why I think Portland got the better end is because Felton is 26 and Miller is 34.

I still don't think either team "got the better end".

Denver needed Felton gone, because Lawson IS their starting point, and Ray would never have been happy with that.

Likewise for Portland, they got a younger player who they feel better suits their style of play.

You see "very similar" as a negative, I see it as a neutralizer that puts the differences largely beyond the court (salary, "veteranship", etc.). The fact that Andre is willing to give up the driver's seat as a positive which meets Denver's needs (of a strictly backup PG) where Felton could not, regardless of his and Dre's styles of play.

And don't forget, too, that it wasn't simply a player-for-player swap. It was:

Denver out: Felton

Denver in: Dre, Jordan Hamilton, future 2nd

And Miller will be welcome to hang for a while to continue the process of mentoring Lawson (which Billups started), but is an expiring in the good sense that he won't financially burden the Nuggets, and even if he's only around a year he'll have served his purpose, and even if they cut him loose (non-guaranteed) they get immediate cap relief which helps them re-sign Nene, JR, Chandler, etc..

Meanwhile, the Blaze were clearly looking for better than a one-year rental at point, but there's little-to-no guarantee that Felton will even stick around.

I feel no need to one-up Portland. If they really feel this trade works for them, then power to them.

But to say this was the "worse" end for the Nuggets in any way would simply be false. This draft day worked out splendidly for Denver.

Sly Guy
06-24-2011, 02:00 PM
felton was worth more than this, and they had plenty of time to get a deal done. Great for Portland, great for Felton, not so convinced Denver wouldn't get a better deal considering how they handled Anthony's move last season.

sixer04fan
06-24-2011, 02:13 PM
I don't really understand the trade for the Nuggets

AddiX
06-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Whynis miller so underrated?

I feel like this guy stays leading bad teams to the playoffs, and than gets traded and the team he eaves becomes bad again.

His whole career has been like this. It's nuts how much not being a good shooter has hurt his career. So much for valuing the intangibles.

UKblazers
06-24-2011, 02:42 PM
I like the move improves the court spacing for L.A plus surely felton can't be as bad a defender as miller was, not to mention the rumours andre was a disruption in the locker room. Going to miss the miller to aldridge alley oops tho.

nimazahir
06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
the blazers just stole from the nuggets.
the nuggets should buy him out so they can play lawson(and i think they drafted nolan smith.)
if he gets bought out he can go to a team like mia or la

Mplsman
06-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Blazers with the robbery.

JordansBulls
06-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Does this really help either team much?

mohye
06-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Blazers raped the Nuggets in this deal. Nuggets couldve done a lot better.

jiggin
06-27-2011, 02:45 PM
I like the move improves the court spacing for L.A plus surely felton can't be as bad a defender as miller was, not to mention the rumours andre was a disruption in the locker room. Going to miss the miller to aldridge alley oops tho.

I am worried about the amount of offense Felton takes up...we are use to Miller's pass first mentality...I don't think Felton shares that PG approach.

I also am a little confused about the Blazers plans for a backup SG. If Mathews is the starter with BRoy the wildcard off the bench...who fills in for Broy when he inevitable has to sit out from "Stiffness" or "Soreness"? Luke Babbitt? Rudy played an average of 13 minutes last year along with Roy's 23 a game. That is a lot to put on babbitt if they don't come up with another solution.

jiggin
06-27-2011, 02:48 PM
the blazers just stole from the nuggets.
the nuggets should buy him out so they can play lawson(and i think they drafted nolan smith.)
if he gets bought out he can go to a team like mia or la

The Blazers actually drafted nolan smith. the nuggets drafted Kenneth Faried with the 22nd pick (one right after the blazers).

There were reports of the two swapping draft picks as well...but that was shot down quickly after it hit the net.

Without going to deep into it, I am wishing the Blazers went with Kenneth Faried instead. :(

Bunta
06-27-2011, 02:53 PM
This will help portland

valade16
06-27-2011, 02:57 PM
I am worried about the amount of offense Felton takes up...we are use to Miller's pass first mentality...I don't think Felton shares that PG approach.

I also am a little confused about the Blazers plans for a backup SG. If Mathews is the starter with BRoy the wildcard off the bench...who fills in for Broy when he inevitable has to sit out from "Stiffness" or "Soreness"? Luke Babbitt? Rudy played an average of 13 minutes last year along with Roy's 23 a game. That is a lot to put on babbitt if they don't come up with another solution.

I believe the Blazers at that point will go with Batum at the 2 with Felton/Mills at the 1 and Wallace at the SF. Also, Elliot Williams, who missed all of last season injured, was supposedly really athletic and he could get a look behind Roy as well.

With Felton/Mills/Mathews/Roy/Batum/Wallace we now have a lot of players capable of spacing the floor with their shooting for Aldridge as well as a couple who are capable of driving the ball. Very diverse lineup.

jiggin
06-27-2011, 03:22 PM
I believe the Blazers at that point will go with Batum at the 2 with Felton/Mills at the 1 and Wallace at the SF. Also, Elliot Williams, who missed all of last season injured, was supposedly really athletic and he could get a look behind Roy as well.

With Felton/Mills/Mathews/Roy/Batum/Wallace we now have a lot of players capable of spacing the floor with their shooting for Aldridge as well as a couple who are capable of driving the ball. Very diverse lineup.

batum is not an offensive players...he only averaged 12 points a game last year and over his career is good for 9 a game. That would be very very bad for the blazers. Not enough offense to remove the SG (primary offense on a lot of teams) from the offense equation.

I can't see the blazers keeping Mills, Felton and Johnson, plus adding Nolan Smith. 4 PG? no way. So someone in that group has to go and it won't be Felton obviously.

I keep waiting for a trade to compete the draft day moves.

I am excited to see Williams play this year, but he is unproven in the NBA so who knows what he brings to the table. At this point, he is a 3rd backup at SG but who knows what that means at this point and I don't feel comfy with the past injury issues the blazers faced to bank on a player coming off of knee surgery.

So...

Starters

Raymond Felton PG
Wesley Matthews SG
Gerald Wallace SF
LaMarcus Aldridge PF
Marcus Camby C

Bench

Brandon Roy SG
Nicolas Batum F
Greg Oden C (probably after January)
Some combination of Chris Johnson, Luke Babbitt, Elliot Williams, Nolan Smith, and whatever other guys currently on the roster you'd like to speculate about.

So...how does this team look to you? How far do you think this lineup could climb in the Western Conference?

valade16
06-27-2011, 03:51 PM
batum is not an offensive players...he only averaged 12 points a game last year and over his career is good for 9 a game. That would be very very bad for the blazers. Not enough offense to remove the SG (primary offense on a lot of teams) from the offense equation.

I can't see the blazers keeping Mills, Felton and Johnson, plus adding Nolan Smith. 4 PG? no way. So someone in that group has to go and it won't be Felton obviously.

I keep waiting for a trade to compete the draft day moves.

I am excited to see Williams play this year, but he is unproven in the NBA so who knows what he brings to the table. At this point, he is a 3rd backup at SG but who knows what that means at this point and I don't feel comfy with the past injury issues the blazers faced to bank on a player coming off of knee surgery.

So...

Starters

Raymond Felton PG
Wesley Matthews SG
Gerald Wallace SF
LaMarcus Aldridge PF
Marcus Camby C

Bench

Brandon Roy SG
Nicolas Batum F
Greg Oden C (probably after January)
Some combination of Chris Johnson, Luke Babbitt, Elliot Williams, Nolan Smith, and whatever other guys currently on the roster you'd like to speculate about.

So...how does this team look to you? How far do you think this lineup could climb in the Western Conference?

SG Is no longer the primary scoring position, that's Aldridge. Batum will be there to hangout in the corner and if Aldridge gets doubled to be ready to hit the open 3. As for plays, unless it's Aldridge, Roy, or Wallace there won't be a whole lot of plays ran for anybody else besides maybe Mathews anyway...

If the Blazers are comfortable enough with Armon Johnson then Mills might not be back, but they might go with so many guards just because they will have a hard time finding good backup big men for an affordable amount.

I think that is a good team, it is capable of making a deep run in the playoffs though it won't be favored over a couple teams.

JordansBulls
06-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Blazers raped the Nuggets in this deal. Nuggets couldve done a lot better.

How so? Felton wasn't going to start in Denver anyway.

nickdymez
06-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Andre Miller is the most overlooked PG in the game. He does nothing but fill up the sheets.

The Lebron syndrome.

AnalyzeNShoot
06-27-2011, 08:26 PM
This was a very good trade for them. No buddy talks about the blazers in the west they have a very scary roster imo.
They are one decent center away from being a title contender

PG Felton
SG Wesley
SF G-Wall
PF Lamarcus
C - Oden/ or guy like okafor would make them crazy good. depending on their offseason i pick them to come outta the west.

valade16
06-27-2011, 08:39 PM
This was a very good trade for them. No buddy talks about the blazers in the west they have a very scary roster imo.
They are one decent center away from being a title contender

PG Felton
SG Wesley
SF G-Wall
PF Lamarcus
C - Oden/ or guy like okafor would make them crazy good. depending on their offseason i pick them to come outta the west.

That is a bold statement my friend.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think there are a number of teams that if they play hot during the postseason are capable of a deep run:

Blazers
Thunder
Grizzlies
Mavericks
Lakers
Nuggets
possibly Spurs

Then there's the up and coming teams that are a step or two away from the playoffs like the Clippers, Timberwolves, Kings, and Warriors and the West is incredibly deep.

I think the playoff matchups next year will determine who comes out of the west.

AnalyzeNShoot
06-27-2011, 08:45 PM
True true.

but i just feel so bad for them, they were chosen to be a dynasty when they draft oden and they have been the Atlanta hawk of the west. but they have Vet players who wana make a run for real.

Thunders need time to grow
Grizz too trust me i respect these teams but 1 more year

Nuggets have no superstar just good players that dont get u far
Mavs they are good the champs but might not be as hungry
Spurs are done Imo

valade16
06-27-2011, 08:50 PM
True true.

but i just feel so bad for them, they were chosen to be a dynasty when they draft oden and they have been the Atlanta hawk of the west. but they have Vet players who wana make a run for real.

Thunders need time to grow
Grizz too trust me i respect these teams but 1 more year

Nuggets have no superstar just good players that dont get u far
Mavs they are good the champs but might not be as hungry
Spurs are done Imo

I'm a diehard Blazers fan and I can tell you, yeah it really sucks.

I'm amazed we've been able to get such good players like Wallace, Felton, Mathews, and Camby despite not giving up our best players. We gave up Pryzbilla, Cunningham, Webster, Rudy, and Outlaw to get those guys. Simply amazing.