PDA

View Full Version : Jameer Nelson for Andre Miller trade is in the works

LTBaByyy
06-23-2011, 01:30 PM
http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2011/6/23/2239407/nba-trade-rumor-magic-blazers-jameer-nelson-andre-miller

The Orlando Magic and Portland Trail Blazers may be discussing a trade which would send Jameer Nelson to Portland, with the 21st pick in the 2011 NBA Draft and Andre Miller coming to Orlando in return, according to Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress. The rumored swap of veteran point guards would appear to make sense for both sides for a few reasons, which I'll discuss in more depth if the trade happens.

A source I consulted could neither confirm nor deny Givony's report.

Miller, 35, is a veteran of five teams in 12 seasons known for his on-target passing, uncommonly good back-to-basket game, and limited shooting range. One can persuasively argue he's the best alley-oop passer in the game's history. His $7.8 million salary for the coming season, the last in the three-year contract he signed with Portland in 2009, becomes fully guaranteed June 29th. He averaged 12.7 points and 7 assists last season while shooting 46 percent from the floor.

Nelson has spent his entire seven-year career and earned one All-Star berth with the Magic. His lack of size and problems with consistency make him a popular target for derision among Magic fans, though on balance he is likely the team's second-best player behind Dwight Howard. He has two seasons, with the final one at his option, worth a combined $15.6 million remaining on his deal.

Otis Smith, the Magic's President of Basketball Operations, has a history of making big trades on Draft days. Two years ago, he sent Courtney Lee, who started for Orlando in the NBA Finals which ended just weeks before, as well as two expiring contracts to the New Jersey Nets for Vince Carter and Ryan Anderson.

Magic adding to a potential trade for Josh Smith?

Miller has a 7 million non guaranteed contract that you can waive him if you are the Hawks since you have Teague who is the Hawks PG

ManRam
06-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Only like it if it's a precursor to a bigger trade.

If it's just for what it is on the surface, I don't like it.

raptor fan
06-23-2011, 01:36 PM
I think nelson is a better fit in orlando than miller. Nelson is a much better shooter, and with Turkoglu as the primary distributor on offence, it may not make much sense bringing in a player like miller.

KJ21.the.truth
06-23-2011, 01:36 PM
If this means J Smoove is coming to town, DO IT!

LTBaByyy
06-23-2011, 01:37 PM
I think the Magic are gettin him to add to the Josh Smith deal

Bc its non guarenteed 7 million deal that Miller has on this coming up season that the Hawks can waive him right when they get him (deadline is in like 5 days I think)

gbrl
if if happens arenas may have a bigger role on the team next year

would suck for them if they dont get smith because as mentioned nelson is their second best player and all they are getting is an expiring contract and a late pick in a weak draft

sixer04fan
Andre Miller is seriously underrated, but I agree with the general sentiment that it seems like it would be a precursor to a bigger deal for the Magic. For the Blazers, it's a fine deal, and Nelson will be good to add to their ridiculously talented young core.

ManRam
06-23-2011, 01:44 PM
if if happens arenas may have a bigger role on the team next year

would suck for them if they dont get smith because as mentioned nelson is their second best player and all they are getting is an expiring contract and a late pick in a weak draft

Arenas will have a bigger role either way. Otis brought him over, and has said this since day one, to compete for the starting job this upcoming season. Gil has been working hard.

With that said, I'm probably the most pessimistic Magic fan on this site in regards to Gil being good, but either way, he'll have a bigger role, or at least be given a better shot at a bigger role.

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Miller is Iggy or smith bait.

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2011, 01:46 PM
I hope Orlando can squeeze out Rudy of batum as reported. I perfer rudy

LTBaByyy
06-23-2011, 01:46 PM
I think I am the only one that thinks Gilbert will return to All Star level next year

Especially with him being the starter getting starters minutes and he has been working very hard already this offseason

Arenas
Reddick
Turk
Smith
Howard

will be the Magic line up next year I believe

S-Dot
06-23-2011, 01:48 PM
I think nelson is a better fit in orlando than miller. Nelson is a much better shooter, and with Turkoglu as the primary distributor on offence, it may not make much sense bringing in a player like miller.

I disagree. If this trade was made to keep good ol Dre, he would be a better fit. He's an excellent passer, and is underrated in the way he is able to control the pace of the game. I expect him to feed the post more and allow for Dwight to have an even better offensive season. I also expect Gilbert to start and play with more confidence if Stan Van allows for it to happen. This helps Orlando.

Weezyana
06-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Portland wouldn't include batum in a deal for carmelo, so I highly doubt they would in this deal.

kntresistheheat
06-23-2011, 01:53 PM
I think the Magic are gettin him to add to the Josh Smith deal

Bc its non guarenteed 7 million deal that Miller has on this coming up season that the Hawks can waive him right when they get him (deadline is in like 5 days I think)

I am going to pray that miller gets waived, then he can join the heat!!!:D

Possible destinations if waived?

1) Heat
2) Lakers

MagicBucsSox
06-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Portland wouldn't include batum in a deal for carmelo, so I highly doubt they would in this deal.

I agree with u but that was before gWallace got there. I hope to like Anderson or bass. But I want Rudy we don't have a damn slasher

LTBaByyy
06-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I am going to pray that miller gets waived, then he can join the heat!!!:D

Possible destinations if waived?

1) Heat
2) Lakers

I actually see this happening!!!

More so the Heat, bc Bibby is good as gone and I like Chalmers coming off the bench bc he can be a scorer with that bench

Weezyana
06-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Josh Robbins of the Orlando sentinel just said talks are "being overblown".

shep33
06-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Andre Miller is decent, but he's old and can't play D, nor can he shoot. If it means getting Smith than its worth it, but if they don't get Smith. Ouch.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Miller+Dwight+Iguodala/Smith=Alley-oops all game long.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Andre Miller is decent, but he's old and can't play D, nor can he shoot. If it means getting Smith than its worth it, but if they don't get Smith. Ouch.

No one on the current Magic roster can play D... except for Dwight.

S-Dot
06-23-2011, 02:05 PM

Jameer isnt an exceptional defender either. Andre is very underrated; he holds his own, and makes his team better. Plus he is a really good passer for Dwight's style of play. I think Miller is quite overlooked, even at 35 years old today.

And it opens the way for Gilbert to start. But I do agree that Miller is being used as trade bait for someone else.

Weezyana
06-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Miller+Dwight+Iguodala/Smith=Alley-oops all game long.

And how do you suggest the magic get smith or iggy?

KnicksR4Real
06-23-2011, 02:06 PM
andre miller to the magic. not much of an upgrade, infact, ill call it a downgrade.

by by dwight!

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-23-2011, 02:08 PM
And how do you suggest the magic get smith or iggy?

I'm not saying they will or wont. I'm just readin that Orlando are possible destinations for Smith or Iguodala...

Either way, Miller+Dwight=Alley-oops all game

Weezyana
06-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Andre miller makes the magic no better than they were yesterday if this trade happens, which doubt it will.

bringinwood
06-23-2011, 02:09 PM
I don't think the magic have enough available assets to get Iguodala...

There isn't much on that roster that is intriguing aside from Dwight...

shep33
06-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Jameer isnt an exceptional defender either. Andre is very underrated; he holds his own, and makes his team better. Plus he is a really good passer for Dwight's style of play. I think Miller is quite overlooked, even at 35 years old today.

And it opens the way for Gilbert to start. But I do agree that Miller is being used as trade bait for someone else.

I agree, he is a superior passer to Nelson, but they're also betting on Arenas to be good again, its a risky play but worth it if they get Smith.

S-Dot
06-23-2011, 02:28 PM
I agree, he is a superior passer to Nelson, but they're also betting on Arenas to be good again, its a risky play but worth it if they get Smith.

Oh if they use Dre to get Smith then Otis Smith may be able to extend his job..depends on how Stan Van will coach them though

NBA_Starter
06-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Why for Orlando?

Bunta
06-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Miller > Nelson

KJ21.the.truth
06-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Josh robins said the rumor has no legs via Twitter.

RLundi
06-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Unless it's the foundation for a bigger, better deal, this is an absolute abomination for Orlando.

ManRam
06-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Miller > Nelson

Perhaps, but I doubt that's the case on this Magic team. Nelson is a better fit.

Bunta
06-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Perhaps, but I doubt that's the case on this Magic team. Nelson is a better fit.

Just to be clear, I based that statement on absolutely no logic.

valade16
06-23-2011, 03:28 PM

I agree. Wasn't one of the Magic's problems last year that they had no one outside of Nelson who could drive to the hoop? Miller hasn't done that for years.

Plus he's a terrible shooter, his guy will be helping double Howard all game since they'd be daring him to shoot.

At this point he's a bench player who shouldn't receive more than 20-24 minutes a game.

If he was part of a deal for Atlanta for Josh Smith it would make sense, but then why wouldn't the Blazers and Magic just orchestrate a 3-way deal with Atlanta? It makes no sense to trade for a guy banking on making an immediate trade afterward because if the 2nd trade breaks down your screwed.

Mile High Champ
06-23-2011, 03:28 PM
The Magic need a new look. This trade could help them going forward. I think Miller brings that pass first mentality that Dwight needs. At this point, the Magic have to try different things to try and keep Howard past this coming season.

D Roses Bulls
06-23-2011, 06:06 PM
this doesn't make sense to me in away. I mean miller is 35 years old for one. if it was to clear up room to offer an FA I could understand, but they still wont have the money. also, even if it was for josh smith, do they really want smith? did they not watch him in the playoff vs the bulls? he takes so many horrible shots and thats what they do not need on that team. another guy who will jack shots up. also, isn't jameer dwights best friend on the team? reminds me a lot of when mike miller was traded from the magic and it pissed mcgrady off because miller was mcgradys best friend on the team.

the only thing, I can see is that maybe the magic think they might be losing dwight so they are just going to clear up more room and clearing out jameers long term contract will give them that money and dwights to go after some FA's in a couple years when arenas and hedos contracts are coming to the end.

bmd1101
06-23-2011, 06:44 PM

So you would rather have a worthless player then a decent one? Rudy isn't worth the paper his contract is printed on. Perhaps you didnt watch him play this season? 9 points on 37% shooting? Similar numbers the year before

I agree with u but that was before gWallace got there. I hope to like Anderson or bass. But I want Rudy we don't have a damn slasher

and you will still be waiting for a slasher, thats not rudy. He chucks threes until he misses like 3 or 4 in a row, then he becomes unsure about shooting and stops playing.

Kashmir13579
06-23-2011, 06:47 PM

How has that worked for them so far?

Orlando is a flat out mess right now, but i don't see how adding a player like Miller doesn't help them.

RLundi
06-23-2011, 06:47 PM
this doesn't make sense to me in away. I mean miller is 35 years old for one. if it was to clear up room to offer an FA I could understand, but they still wont have the money. also, even if it was for josh smith, do they really want smith? did they not watch him in the playoff vs the bulls? he takes so many horrible shots and thats what they do not need on that team. another guy who will jack shots up. also, isn't jameer dwights best friend on the team? reminds me a lot of when mike miller was traded from the magic and it pissed mcgrady off because miller was mcgradys best friend on the team.

the only thing, I can see is that maybe the magic think they might be losing dwight so they are just going to clear up more room and clearing out jameers long term contract will give them that money and dwights to go after some FA's in a couple years when arenas and hedos contracts are coming to the end.

Lol Dwight couldn't care less about that. Last summer he was openly lobbying to management to trade for Chris Paul, even if it meant his best friend would be jettisoned out of town. Not to mention this summer, he was adamant about Gilbert Arenas getting more playing time at the expense of Nelson.

Bottom line, winning matters more to Dwight Howard than appeasing his buddy who realistically speaking, shouldn't be an NBA starter.

hugepatsfan
06-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Getting an expiring for Nelson would be a good move for ORL IMO.

stlbest5in2013
06-23-2011, 06:57 PM
I think I am the only one that thinks Gilbert will return to All Star level next year

Especially with him being the starter getting starters minutes and he has been working very hard already this offseason

Arenas
Reddick
Turk
Smith
Howard

will be the Magic line up next year I believe

yuck, i wouldnt touch that starting 5 with a 10 foot pole. feel real sorry for d12 if he is stuck with that all year.

smith will never be a 4, in his brain he thinks he is a 3. he cant shoot a lick. obviously turdoglu cant shoot a lick either anymore. so this teams outside shot will be based on gilly and jj? yeah welcome to pack the paint defense.

this if it comes true will not end up well for olrando

drew_ellis_23
06-23-2011, 07:02 PM
I agree. Wasn't one of the Magic's problems last year that they had no one outside of Nelson who could drive to the hoop? Miller hasn't done that for years.

Plus he's a terrible shooter, his guy will be helping double Howard all game since they'd be daring him to shoot.

At this point he's a bench player who shouldn't receive more than 20-24 minutes a game.

If he was part of a deal for Atlanta for Josh Smith it would make sense, but then why wouldn't the Blazers and Magic just orchestrate a 3-way deal with Atlanta? It makes no sense to trade for a guy banking on making an immediate trade afterward because if the 2nd trade breaks down your screwed.

Don't watch alot of Blazer games do you? Miller lives in the paint is great at kicking out and will throw lobs all day to Dwight. He would be a great PG for Orlando, and Jameer would be great for the Blazers as he is a better shooter and will spread the floor. Blazers need a PG that will be out of the key to stretch the floor for Wallace and Aldridge.

Iceman05
06-23-2011, 09:01 PM
just out of curiousity. Say this trade does go through.......if Miller truly is bait for someone else (ie Smith, Iggy, CP3 or Williams) wouldnt the trade have to be made immediately or have to wait until after december?

valade16
06-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Don't watch alot of Blazer games do you? Miller lives in the paint is great at kicking out and will throw lobs all day to Dwight. He would be a great PG for Orlando, and Jameer would be great for the Blazers as he is a better shooter and will spread the floor. Blazers need a PG that will be out of the key to stretch the floor for Wallace and Aldridge.

Uhhh, I'm a Blazer fan who watched damn near everygame. You obviously haven't watched Miller in years, otherwise you know he doesnt DRIVE to the hoop. Miller is in the paint because he's an excel postup guard.

I agree Blazers needed a pG to spread the floor for Aldridge, but how can the blazers need that and the Magic don't for Dwight?? What id dwight gonna do when miller is posting up, get ready for a rebound?

Thinking Miller can drive to the hoop is laughably ignorant