PDA

View Full Version : Odom the obvious chip as Lakers mull change

3ballbomber
06-23-2011, 11:45 AM
The NBAís old guard is active, as it should be. The Celtics, as always, are reportedly willing to deal anyone, including Rajon Rondo. The Spurs are arguing in public about whether they are making or fielding calls on Tony Parker (and Richard Jefferson). And now comes much more concrete news (via the Los Angeles Times) that the Lakers have offered Lamar Odom to the Timberwolves for the No. 2 pick in the draft and (via SI.comís Sam Amick) discussed a deal with Philadelphia centered on Odom and Andre Iguodala. The Wolves rejected the Lakersí offer, and the Odom/Iguodala trade may be dead by now.

As has been the case for a while, Odom is the Lakersí only easily movable chip. Gasol is set to make about $19 million annually over the next three seasons, and heís one of the top 15 players in the league. Itís fun to characterize Bynum as Lakers vice president Jim Bussí golden boy, but would you trade a 23-year-old behemoth center who proved in the playoffs that heís ready to take on a larger scoring burden? That would give any franchise pause, especially when Bynum makes so much sense as the centerpiece of a possible Dwight Howard trade.

That leaves Odom, who is relatively cheap ($8.9 million next season, only $2.4 million guaranteed in 2012-13) and cannot realistically play extended minutes together with Gasol and Bynum. Having three highly skilled players in your big-man rotation is a wonderful thing, especially given Bynumís injury history. But only two can play at once, and the Lakers could never quite figure out late last season which two should be on the floor during crunch time.

Dealing Odom is a risk because it leaves only two experienced NBA players in the Lakersí big-man rotation. And as the die-hards know, Odom has been one of the leagueís consistent plus/minus gods, if you believe in that kind of thing. His raw plus/minus numbers have been good enough, but available adjusted plus/minus stats ó which take into account the quality of teammates and opponents on the floor ó have painted Odom as one of the best players in the league for years.

Perhaps that has to do with how well Odomís versatility fit within the triangle. But it could also signal that his rare combination of size, ball-handling, long-range shooting and board work just helps teams in ways that are hard to measure. The Lakers, of course, wonít be running the triangle next season, but it would be strange if that were a huge factor in the teamís calculus in putting him on the block. Heís a borderline All-Star, regardless of system.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011/06/23/odom-the-obvious-chip-as-lakers-mull-change/

3ballbomber
06-23-2011, 11:46 AM
apologies if this has already been posted.

S-Dot
06-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Odom is the most movable chip on the team only because ownership is sold on Bynum. I believe if the younger Buss didn't express so much passion about keeping him, teams would give the Lakers some pretty good offers in return.

BigCityofDreams
06-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Odom is the most movable chip on the team only because ownership is sold on Bynum. I believe if the younger Buss didn't express so much passion about keeping him, teams would give the Lakers some pretty good offers in return.

:facepalm:

Big mistake

3ballbomber
06-23-2011, 12:04 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/Chris_Broussard

Chris_Broussard
As far as Odom, Teams worried he won't b happy or motivated outside of LA. That's decreasing his value on market....

Hawkeye15
06-23-2011, 12:04 PM

pretty much. The Lakers don't have as much wiggle room to add peices as many think. They refuse to move Bynum, and Gasol makes so much money its unreal. Their role players were bad this year, and they are sort of stuck unless they cave on their Bynum stance.

But in reality, they have the core to contend for a couple more years, so finetuning is really all they need to do

Southsideheat
06-23-2011, 12:10 PM
How about a 3-way centered around the

Lakers get J Nelson
Magic get Boozer
Bulls get Odom, Bass, Richardson

bringinwood
06-23-2011, 12:12 PM
The Lakers, regardless of his motivation, are ridiculously overvaluing him...

How can anyone give up serious value for a near 32 year old tweener who hasn't started consistently since the 07/08 season ???

If he were on the Suns, they wouldn't get more than a high 2nd rounder for him... For some reason, the Lakers think he's worth the 2nd pick in the draft... :laugh:

SP17
06-23-2011, 12:26 PM
lakers won't have any trades...Mitch just dont work like this.

nickdymez
06-23-2011, 12:35 PM

How can anyone give up serious value for a near 32 year old tweener who hasn't started consistently since the 07/08 season ???

If he were on the Suns, they wouldn't get more than a high 2nd rounder for him... For some reason, the Lakers think he's worth the 2nd pick in the draft... :laugh:

He's the 6th man of the year. His numbers are sick. He doesn't start because it doesn't make sense for him to, not because of performance.. Please know what your saying before you hate...

mgsports
06-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Odom to Magic for Gilbert?

Avenged
06-23-2011, 12:53 PM

While the Lakers may overvalue him, you certainly do not value him at all. A 2nd round draft pick for Odom? A high one at that. Wow.

valade16
06-23-2011, 01:10 PM
He's the 6th man of the year. His numbers are sick. He doesn't start because it doesn't make sense for him to, not because of performance.. Please know what your saying before you hate...

Regardless, the Lakers are seriously overvaluing him if they think they can get anything like the #2 pick for him.

He's 32 and not only has he peaked, he's starting to pass his prime. I don't think they could've got the #2 pick for Odom even 3 years ago, let alone this year.

I say a lottery pick, but at the back end I'd imagine, although this draft is pretty weak so maybe 5-8, but the #2? no way...

GREATNESS ONE
06-23-2011, 01:22 PM

:punish

Man I hate to see Odom go but it might just be time for a change. I love all this anticipation and crazy Draft day hype !

KnicksR4Real
06-23-2011, 01:29 PM
i feel bad for lo. hes a good guy

dnewguy
06-23-2011, 01:34 PM
I heard the Lakers may be trading Khloe for Kim K, I just don't see how Humpries will bring anything to the table.

CavsYanksDuke
06-23-2011, 01:53 PM
A 20 year-old Derrick Williams/Kyrie Irving for 32 year-old Odom? Nah.

Doesn't make sense. Even if Odom had a career year last year, I wouldn't do it.

lakersrock
06-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Why don't the Lakers and Celtics just swap Bynum and Rondo? With Pierce and KG passing and Bynum in the middle, they could slow down and play their style and adding Ronro while starting Odom-Gasol at PF-C, they get faster and fix the hole at PG.

It actually helps both teams a lot.

nickdymez
06-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Why don't the Lakers and Celtics just swap Bynum and Rondo? With Pierce and KG passing and Bynum in the middle, they could slow down and play their style and adding Ronro while starting Odom-Gasol at PF-C, they get faster and fix the hole at PG.

It actually helps both teams a lot.

Who would play center for the lakers? Please dont say Pau...

lakersrock
06-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Who would play center for the lakers? Please dont say Pau...

Pau. He's a much better defender at C and Odom is a better defender at PF than Pau. Remember him stopping Howard in the Finals? Plus, Rondo would keep PGs outta the lane making it much easier on him.

Tony_Starks
06-23-2011, 04:15 PM
I seriously doubt the Lakers mess with their core. It's pretty rare to have 3 bigs as talented as they do. It's just a matter of using them correctly.....

Let's see what Brown does with this group and a few auxillary pieces.

MTar786
06-23-2011, 05:25 PM
i say we package these 3. lamar, walton and the fat kardashian for iggy
then trade artest, blake, trey johnson two of this years second round picks and next years 1st and 2nd for verajeo and sessions.

Ryan328
06-23-2011, 05:32 PM
I wanna keep a LO

Trueblue2
06-23-2011, 06:38 PM
How about a 3-way centered around the

Lakers get J Nelson
Magic get Boozer
Bulls get Odom, Bass, Richardson

How is that fair for Orlando?

lakersrock
06-23-2011, 07:00 PM