PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Offer Lamar Odom for No. 2 pick in NBA Draft

xabial
06-22-2011, 07:22 PM
The Lakers tried to move up in Thursday's NBA draft by offering forward Lamar Odom to Minnesota for the Timberwolves' No. 2 overall pick, but Minnesota turned them down, according to two NBA officials who were not authorized to speak publicly about the trade talks.

The Lakers wanted to use the No. 2 pick to select Arizona's forward Derrick Williams, the officials said.

However, Minnesota didn't want Odom, the NBA's sixth man of the year last season, because the Timberwolves have Kevin Love at power forward and see him as part of the franchise's cornerstone.

Instead, Minnesota asked the Lakers for either Andrew Bynum or Pau Gasol -- two players the Lakers were not going to trade -- for the No. 2 draft pick. Talks broke down and the teams aren't talking anymore about a deal, the officials said.

The Lakers don't have a first-round pick in Thursday's NBA draft; their second-round draft picks are Nos. 41, 46, 56 and 58.

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/06/lakers-offer-of-lamar-odom-for-no-2-pick-rejected-by-timberwolves.html?dlvrit=53297

Will Minnesota and Los Angelos come to terms on a trade involving the #2 pick? Just one more Day!

Avenged
06-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised to see they offered Lamar, but dealing Bynum or Pau for the #2 doesn't make much sense for the Lakers.

Derrick Williams has become a lot more popular nowadays as compared to the guy projected to go #1.

Sportfan
06-22-2011, 07:29 PM
terrible deal for Minny

dtmagnet
06-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Pretty obvious why they were turned down.

ATSW02D16
06-22-2011, 07:36 PM
I think a couple more draft picks and filler could make this trade work.

metsbulls1025
06-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Since it was the Lakers I am surprised Minny didn't say not only will we give you the number 2 pick, but you can also have our first round picks for the next 7 years and 2 players of your choosing from our current roster.

Oh btw do you need someone to pay the air fair for all these players?

ATSW02D16
06-22-2011, 07:40 PM
Oh btw do you need someone to pay the air fair for all these players?

Yeah, I think the organization pays the player's air fare as that would be the polite thing to do... But everyone makes so much money regardless so it doesn't really matter who pays it.

bringinwood
06-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Why the hell would the Laker's turn down Pau for the 2nd overall pick ???

Dude is as overrated a big man as there is in basketball...

Lakerhead4ever
06-22-2011, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I think the organization pays the player's air fare as that would be the polite thing to do... But everyone makes so much money regardless so it doesn't really matter who pays it.

i think he was being sarcastic lol

metsbulls1025
06-22-2011, 07:46 PM

I was just saying all that because the Lakers usually destroy other teams in trades when they happen. I don't know why, but it happens.

Lakerhead4ever
06-22-2011, 07:49 PM

underrated how? because he had one bad playoffs after 3 straight trips to the finals?

in that case maybe the knicks should let amare go, or celtics should let rondo go, or maybe heats should let lebron go..

pau is the best big man in the league behind howard. and hes offensively better than howard

KnicksR4Real
06-22-2011, 07:49 PM
do the lakers dream

allSUAVE
06-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Minny aiant doing that ****

KINGBAIZE
06-22-2011, 07:54 PM
If the Lakers landed the number 2 pick for L. Odom, I'd know for a FACT the NBA is rigged!

I still can't get over that P. Gasol trade...:facepalm:

He'll I'm sure my Bulls could make a deal sweater than that.

I'd give up Deng,Boozer, Taj and all 3 picks in the draft for the #2 pick and M. Beasley.

Draft Derrick Williams and put Beasley at the 3.

Rose
? (R. Hamilton....V. Carter?
Beasley
D. Williams
Noah

BEAAAAST!

douglas
06-22-2011, 07:57 PM
Thank baby Jesus that the Wolves declined this trade. How boring would it be watching Khloe and Lamar if they lived in Minny?!

North Yorker
06-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Now Iggy might go to the Lakers for Odom+filler, Twolves also in play for Iggy.
According to Sam Amick

bringinwood
06-22-2011, 07:59 PM
underrated how? because he had one bad playoffs after 3 straight trips to the finals?

in that case maybe the knicks should let amare go, or celtics should let rondo go, or maybe heats should let lebron go..

pau is the best big man in the league behind howard. and hes offensively better than howard

I never said he was underrated...

Actually, it was the exact opposite...

As for your opinion, it's just that... An opinion...

I, along with any non Laker-homer basketball fan, believes that Kevin Love is a better power forward, let alone big man...

ATSW02D16
06-22-2011, 08:01 PM
i think he was being sarcastic lol

But I replied to that like a champ. :laugh2:

Shahrose
06-22-2011, 08:06 PM
If the Lakers landed the number 2 pick for L. Odom, I'd know for a FACT the NBA is rigged!

I still can't get over that P. Gasol trade...:facepalm:

He'll I'm sure my Bulls could make a deal sweater than that.

I'd give up Deng,Boozer, Taj and all 3 picks in the draft for the #2 pick and M. Beasley.

Draft Derrick Williams and put Beasley at the 3.

Rose
? (R. Hamilton....V. Carter?
Beasley
D. Williams
Noah

BEAAAAST!

that is a terrible trade for the Bulls. you sir, value D.Williams a little too high

Johann
06-22-2011, 08:07 PM
but if they offered fisher... lol

HouRealCoach
06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Lakers cant be serious... They have Love, Beasley, Randolph, Wes, Hayward, Webster now why would they want LO

Madtown22
06-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Thank baby Jesus that the Wolves declined this trade. How boring would it be watching Khloe and Lamar if they lived in Minny?!

the E channel might have kicked the Lakers some $$$$ to stop offering him to other teams. This is a non topic. Trade wasn't even considered by the wolves.

NBA_Starter
06-22-2011, 08:11 PM
terrible deal for Minny

bootleg42
06-22-2011, 08:11 PM

It's not rigged but it favors certain teams.

Why the Timberwolves would go after Lamar Odom is beyond me. It makes no sense.

sb123
06-22-2011, 08:12 PM
I think the Lakers offered Luke Walton and a used diaphragm from Jeannie Buss for the #2.

Laker Management and fans are analyzing why Kahn rejected it.

sb123
06-22-2011, 08:13 PM
... but Kahn needs some Vet help badly. But a 6th man pot head with a reality TV show in Minneapolis? ROTFLMAO! You got to be kidding.

I get Pau for #2 but Odom. Please.

5ass
06-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Didnt odom take a paycut to resign with la? And theyre looking to trade him after his 6th man of the year season last year? Thats not right.

Lakerhead4ever
06-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I never said he was underrated...

Actually, it was the exact opposite...

As for your opinion, it's just that... An opinion...

I, along with any non Laker-homer basketball fan, believes that Kevin Love is a better power forward, let alone big man...

i meant to say overrated

and just as much as u subliminally call me a homer, your coming off like a hater.

love is a hell of a player, but hes not there with pau yet, experience sometimes means more than 30 30 games

maybe in a yr or two

iamsteel
06-22-2011, 08:22 PM
First off, the Gasol trade wasn't that one sided. It was pretty much Pau for Marc Gasol (who many people would rather have right now) and a couple first round picks (Donte Green, Greivis Vasquez). Plus they got an expiring contract in Kwame.

MN will never take Odom, even though I think he's awesome, because he does not fill a need. They need a Center or Shooting Guard. LA should move Pau while he still has some value. He only has maybe 3 good years left, and I think there was some internal conflicts within the team with him. LA really needs some young talent and MN really needs some veteran leadership, so something should get swapped. As long as MN doesn't get cheap-***, overrated, injury prone Bynum. I think Kanter will be better than Bynum anyway.

dtmagnet
06-22-2011, 08:26 PM

lol, Dirk says hi.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2011, 08:27 PM
So first LA thinks Pau is worth Love and the number two and now they think Lamar is worth the number two pick.:facepalm:

showtym24
06-22-2011, 08:28 PM

LMAO. They wouldve got canceled prolly.

iamsteel
06-22-2011, 08:29 PM
LA might be forced to shed some salary if the owners get their way. The cap is 58 Mil and they are at 90 Mil, 32 Mil over the cap.

rjvacad
06-22-2011, 08:37 PM
All this tread does is give the Laker haters a place to hate more.

SACNYY
06-22-2011, 08:40 PM
lol oh la

Lakerhead4ever
06-22-2011, 08:42 PM
lol, Dirk says hi.

tell him i said hi back.

jk i totally forgot about him. in that case pau is 3rd best big man.

also can we really say dirk plays a big man ?

AnalyzeNShoot
06-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Wolves should trade #2 for Mcgee to the Wiz,

Every1 happy.

Wolves get their center, Wiz get two lotto picks.

dtmagnet
06-22-2011, 09:01 PM
tell him i said hi back.

jk i totally forgot about him. in that case pau is 3rd best big man.

also can we really say dirk plays a big man ?

Well he's big, and he's a man.

nickdymez
06-22-2011, 09:15 PM
They were gonna use that trade to land howard... Still might happen...

nickdymez
06-22-2011, 09:22 PM
So first LA thinks Pau is worth Love and the number two and now they think Lamar is worth the number two pick.:facepalm:

Lamar is the 6th man of the year.. wtf?

MalZee24
06-22-2011, 09:44 PM

I agree with u that gasol isn't bad or shouldn't move down on anyone's top player list just because he had TWO bad playoff series. He's still one of the top bigs. But your reasoning was dumb. It's like laker fans are so stuck on "getting to the finals" or "winning a ring" makes them think they use that as a way to boast the player (usually kobe) they're defending. For the last time, it's all about team. No guy wins rings by themselves. Just because gasol has been to three straight finals doesn't mean he shouldn't be traded. Luke Walton has been to 3 straight also. Find a better reason. I wouldn't be saying this to u if I havent heard 5,000 times from laker fans that Kobe is better than Lebrun cuz he has more rings. Most pathetic reason either and now you're starting to do it for gasol. So I want to address the plague before it spreads.

x21x NiNJA x21x
06-22-2011, 10:06 PM
I think Lakers should trade Gasol for the #2 pick only is The Cavs take Derrick Williams..

So Lakers get #2 pick and Beasley
T-Wolves get Gasol

Pg- Irving
Sg- Kobe
Sf- Beasley
Pf- Odom
C- Bynum

drobe86
06-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Since the they want to trade Odom for the number 2 pick why not try and see if Cleveland will give you the number 1 pick for Steve Blake and Shannon Brown

shep33
06-22-2011, 10:39 PM
I think the Lakers were just poking fun at the Timberwolves here, after they wanted Gasol or Bynum for Derrick Williams.

Trade doesn't even make sense for LA in all truth. Yeah they get Williams, but then the Lakers would have 4 small forwards.

Lakers + Giants
06-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Well he's big, and he's a man.

Wow, then Pau is definitely out of the discussion now. :laugh2:

LAKERMANIA
06-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Wow, then Pau is definitely out of the discussion now. :laugh2:

:rimshot:

uncleben989
06-22-2011, 10:52 PM

as boring as they are now? lol

Ty Fast
06-22-2011, 11:20 PM
terrible deal for Minny

i agree 100%

SP17
06-22-2011, 11:22 PM
LOL at mitch..Kahn ain't that dumb..

lakersrock
06-23-2011, 12:03 AM
LOL at mitch..Kahn ain't that dumb..

Actually he is. He's most likely the dumbest man in charge of an NBA team right now.

#2 for Bynum is FAR worse than Odom for #2.....especially given Odom's ability to play PG, lead fast breaks, hit outside shots, play in the post, defend multiple positions, etc., etc.

daleja424
06-23-2011, 12:04 AM
seriously tired of all of this trade talk without anyone actually being traded... its legit annoying.

PHX2daDEATH
06-23-2011, 12:11 AM
seriously tired of all of this trade talk without anyone actually being traded... its legit annoying.

i second that..

MGB
06-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Actually he is. He's most likely the dumbest man in charge of an NBA team right now.

#2 for Bynum is FAR worse than Odom for #2.....especially given Odom's ability to play PG, lead fast breaks, hit outside shots, play in the post, defend multiple positions, etc., etc.

While Odom is a really nice player, he really doesn't do much for a team like the Wolves. They're just not close enough to being contenders to be able to benefit from his abilities. So when you take all things into consideration, it is just as bad of an offer from the Wolves standpoint as the Bynum for #2 is from the Lakers standpoint.

cle12152433
06-23-2011, 12:16 AM
What a dumb trade. You acquire yet ANOTHER forward, except this one is about ten years older than your other guys...

lakersrock
06-23-2011, 12:19 AM
While Odom is a really nice player, he really doesn't do much for a team like the Wolves. They're just not close enough to being contenders to be able to benefit from his abilities. So when you take all things into consideration, it is just as bad of an offer from the Wolves standpoint as the Bynum for #2 is from the Lakers standpoint.

No it's not. Bynum is the #2 C in the league and is the ONLY chance LA has of getting Dwight Howard.

The fact about us needing him IF we were able to get Howard alone makes it worse.

E.O.21
06-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Dumb

MrfadeawayJB
06-23-2011, 12:26 AM
Lakers trying to steal another trade lol. Minny is solid in the frontcourt, and isnt anthony randolph similar to lamar odom in skill set??? They seem to be high on him and want him to be a good rotation player. If i was minny i would not answer any more Laker calls after being shown this disrespect!

PurpleJesus
06-23-2011, 12:30 AM
What a dumb trade. You acquire yet ANOTHER forward, except this one is about ten years older than your other guys...

which is why the wolves said no to it...

AI4MVP
06-23-2011, 12:34 AM
lol. this has to be a joke. At the very least Derrick Williams is goign to be as good as lamar odom. forget the fact that hes so much younger.

lakersrock
06-23-2011, 12:40 AM
lol. this has to be a joke. At the very least Derrick Williams is goign to be as good as lamar odom. forget the fact that hes so much younger.

Really? He's never played a game in the NBA, he does not have and will not have Odom's point guard skills and it's very debatable if he'll be as good of a rebounder as well. Realistically, he's probably gonna be a better scorer and nothing else.

nykobe24
06-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Dumb

you know whats dumb? Threads like this...
this **** just turned to a laker hate thread, plus the fact that these trades ain't happening lmaoo

Gambeezy
06-23-2011, 12:55 AM

When the Lakers made a push in the Finals a season ago, Gasol was playing at a VERY high level. He's still capable of that. I don't think he's overrated either. Maybe PSD shows him a lot of love, but he isn't flashy enough for ESPN so they don't mention him enough. He's a top big in this league though.

Mplsman
06-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Really? He's never played a game in the NBA, he does not have and will not have Odom's point guard skills and it's very debatable if he'll be as good of a rebounder as well. Realistically, he's probably gonna be a better scorer and nothing else.

Which is why you guys want to trade for him?

momentoftruth
06-23-2011, 01:16 AM
I heard Minnesota has been trying to get rid of Beasley. Why not to try to get a player that was similar to Odom when he first came into the league. Aside from Odom's passing abilities, Beasley is pretty much what Odom was in the beginning - a misguided youth who is full of potential, talent and skill that just needs to be coached properly.

Beasley's interchangeable at the 3 and 4, great rebounder, somewhat inconsistent scorer, and reliable defender. He is only 22 and he has proven last year of just what he can be if he is to be steered in the right direction.

bringinwood
06-23-2011, 01:52 AM
i meant to say overrated

and just as much as u subliminally call me a homer, your coming off like a hater.

love is a hell of a player, but hes not there with pau yet, experience sometimes means more than 30 30 games

maybe in a yr or two

I could pull the stat and age card but, this one is way too easy...

It's not worth it...

Most of us know that they'd rather rather have early 20s Griffen, Love, Bosh, or Howard over a 31 year old Pau Gasol with an inflated contract and deflated statistics...

BullsFTW
06-23-2011, 02:24 AM
looks like la is trying to go young.

The Final Boss
06-23-2011, 02:51 AM

True speak.