PDA

View Full Version : Are the Boston Celtics still good enough to win it all for the 2011-2012 Season?

JordansBulls
06-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Thoughts!!!

llemon
06-22-2011, 12:52 PM
I would say, barring some very good moves on their part, no.

Giraffes Rule
06-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I think so. They need to get some younger pieces, but I think Jeff Green was a good pick up for them.

chitown4eva88
06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
No they are too old now. There are also a lot of up and coming teams in the East that can beat them.

sO_cHi312
06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
No chance. The League is getting younger. The Celtics season will be seized by injuries which will effect their chemistry.

sO_cHi312
06-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I think so. They need to get some younger pieces, but I think Jeff Green was a good pick up for them.

Jeff Green was a terrible pickup. They would have beat the Heat if Perk was on that squad. I can't see Green becoming an impact player on the Celtics. He will be another James Posey.

YoungOne
06-22-2011, 01:00 PM
too early to tell, we just have 6 players under contract.

Giraffes Rule
06-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Jeff Green was a terrible pickup. They would have beat the Heat if Perk was on that squad. I can't see Green becoming an impact player on the Celtics. He will be another James Posey.

I think he'll be a good player off the bench for them that brings athleticism and can let their older guys rest. Perkins is overrated, and they wouldn't have him now anyways. They weren't going to pay Perkins what he wanted, so Jeff Green is better than nothing.

Sadds The Gr8
06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
nope...unless they get a Center who can do something JO and Perk couldn't and put the ball in the hoop.

Hawkeye15
too early to tell, we just have 6 players under contract.

yep. Too early to tell what additions they will make this summer

YoungOne

wow u talking crap.. most people didnt say we lost because we had no perkins...and james posey played a big role in our championship season...

Ripper Gein
of course they will compete, for a championship No.

Gambeezy
06-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Some good off-season moves and a shorter NBA season due to the lockout would benefit them. Age is certainly catching up to the big 3. They can all still play well but it's obvious that the length of the season wore them down last year when they were trying to make a play-off run.

shep33
06-22-2011, 01:03 PM
You know what's amazing? They went from arguably the biggest team in the league to an average sized team.

They lost Shaq, Kristic, Perkins, and who know's about Jermaine O'neal. Unreal if you think about it. Basically now their big man is JO... not going to work.

Biggest mistake IMO, was getting rid of Semih. That move was just stupid IMO. He isn't going to be a great big, but he's still a young talented guy.

ManRam
06-22-2011, 01:15 PM
They need to make a few minor/medium-sized moves.

As is, no.

RCarlson85
06-22-2011, 01:16 PM
No, I don't think they can with their current team. The core is just getting too old for me to think they can be better than last year. I think this team has peaked and unless they make some significant moves they won't be competing for a title next year.

Hustlenomics
06-22-2011, 01:39 PM
are they good enough ? yes. will they? who knows

nickdymez
06-22-2011, 01:45 PM
nope

Jarvo
06-22-2011, 01:56 PM
If they are healthy and no one is injured or hurt maybe, They need younger players NOW!

m26555
06-22-2011, 01:57 PM
They need to make a few minor/medium-sized moves.

As is, no.
This.

I still believe that the core of Garnett, Pierce, and Allen has another year left in it. However, they need to make a couple of moves (particularly in the frontcourt to get KG some help).

avrpatsfan
06-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Lol I hope he becomes James Posey. Posey was a key piece in our title run.

We wouldn't have beat the Heat with Perk.

nickdymez
06-22-2011, 02:07 PM
This.

I still believe that the core of Garnett, Pierce, and Allen has another year left in it. However, they need to make a couple of moves (particularly in the frontcourt to get KG some help).

Which is why i believe trading perkins killed them..

Lakers + Giants
06-22-2011, 02:08 PM
IMO they need to trade one of either allen, pierce, or KG for a younger star. If they do that, then es they can win it all in 11-12.

tbomlad
06-22-2011, 02:10 PM
They would need some blockbuster moves and I don't see that happening. Rivers should have walked away. A sixth seed next year at best. The Heat, Magic, Bulls, Knicks, and Hawks will all finish higher.

avon_barksdale
06-22-2011, 02:30 PM
They need some frontcourt help. If they get that and some vet minimum guys then they can compete

KnicksR4Real
06-22-2011, 02:42 PM
no.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2011, 02:48 PM
You know what's amazing? They went from arguably the biggest team in the league to an average sized team.

They lost Shaq, Kristic, Perkins, and who know's about Jermaine O'neal. Unreal if you think about it. Basically now their big man is JO... not going to work.

Biggest mistake IMO, was getting rid of Semih. That move was just stupid IMO. He isn't going to be a great big, but he's still a young talented guy.

How? He only played in four games after we traded him.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2011, 02:49 PM
I think they could with a few tweaks.

koreancabbage
06-22-2011, 02:50 PM
no. another year, another year older.

dnewguy
06-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Nope

Gagan136
06-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Gonna have to wait this out and see what changes they make, cause there makin changes for sure, if they keep the same starting lineup then i dont think they have a chance.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Nope

LOL @ your sig and finally doing some way to get off PSD.

dnewguy
06-22-2011, 02:56 PM
LOL @ your sig and finally doing some way to get off PSD.

not getting off....I am no more a new guy, I need a name change is all.

effen5
06-22-2011, 02:57 PM
I personally thought they would have beaten the Heat if Rondo wasn't hurt....

If they had a shot last year, they definitely have a shot next year.

dnewguy
06-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Rondo was ok when they lost the first 2.

bagwell368
06-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Rubbish. Green and Krstic both played better in OKC and BOS then Perk did - clearly. Perk had a terrible year, and was dominated in every playoff series he played by an assortment of non HOF Centers.

BTW, Green was 2nd in minutes, very close to 1st for OKC this year after Durant, yeah, what a bum...

Buy a clue.

shep33
06-22-2011, 02:59 PM
How? He only played in four games after we traded him.

Forget about last season, the Celts could've definitely used him this upcoming season and in the future. He's a 24 year old 7 footer. There aren't many of them to go around, and he's getting paid very little.

I think they should've kept him for insurance. Shaq, Perk, Kristic, Erden are all gone now, they have 1 big left and that's JO.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2011, 03:00 PM

Yeah I've been saying the same thing to myself. The offense would not have been that atrocious at the end of games.

letsgobrownies7
06-22-2011, 03:00 PM
They can pending a few nice FA pickups and a Bold move by Danny Ainge.

Tony_Starks
06-22-2011, 03:02 PM
I think so. Their best star player is their youngest star player. Thats always good. Green will be better with a training camp also.

I say give Rondo the keys and look out!

(btw I hate Boston)

still1ballin
06-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Never doubt the heart of a champion.

If they stay healthy and keep the core intact, they surely can.

bagwell368
06-22-2011, 03:03 PM
are they good enough ? yes. will they? who knows

Not even close.

They can either put lipstick on the pig for another year, and get hammered in the 1st or 2nd round

OR

they can start making deals to build a decent team for the future with some cap space flexibility

But with the salary cap issues that they have, the aging core, and the thin reinforecements that they can get (late 1st round pick) there is no chance whatever of winning a title with this group, it's laughable and naive.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Rubbish. Green and Krstic both played better in OKC and BOS then Perk did - clearly. Perk had a terrible year, and was dominated in every playoff series he played by an assortment of non HOF Centers.

BTW, Green was 2nd in minutes, very close to 1st for OKC this year after Durant, yeah, what a bum...

Buy a clue.

X2. We also got the Clippers first round pick in 12 in the deal.

RLundi
06-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Nope, unless they get a big man who can anchor the defense and stay healthy enough (read: not Jermaine O'Neal or Shaq). Plus, they need to figure out what the hell to do with Jeff Green. If they get a serviceable big man and Jeff Green remembers he's talented, they'll be up there, especially as long as Doc Rivers is coach. The man's a genius.

bagwell368
06-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Which is why i believe trading perkins killed them..

A 2007-2009 Perkins, you've got a point, but that's not who he was last year. Go ahead and look at his playoff breakdown by game vs the player he primarily covered, he was exposed totally.

Corey
06-22-2011, 03:09 PM
As is, not at all.

bagwell368
06-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Forget about last season, the Celts could've definitely used him this upcoming season and in the future. He's a 24 year old 7 footer. There aren't many of them to go around, and he's getting paid very little.

I think they should've kept him for insurance. Shaq, Perk, Kristic, Erden are all gone now, they have 1 big left and that's JO.

DA dumped him for almost nothing, meaning he has no upside, also note the position he was drafted in.

Shaq was a one year deal, despite the two year contract, Perk wasn't coming back (not at that idiotic price he got), Krstic could opt out of his contract in Russia if he likes.

Hustlenomics
06-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Not even close.

They can either put lipstick on the pig for another year, and get hammered in the 1st or 2nd round

OR

they can start making deals to build a decent team for the future with some cap space flexibility

But with the salary cap issues that they have, the aging core, and the thin reinforecements that they can get (late 1st round pick) there is no chance whatever of winning a title with this group, it's laughable and naive.

Celtics are not losing in the first round, and to say there's no chance of them winning is laughable and naive

bagwell368
06-22-2011, 03:11 PM

Rondo wasn't playing that well when he wasn't hurt, way down from the Cavs Series the year before.

Tony_Starks
06-22-2011, 03:17 PM
As is, not at all.

I think you guys will get better. Similar to my Lakers everyone is in panic mode "break up the team" mode right now but when your core is great, you're still light years ahead of the pack IMO.....

A few key role players and its a whole new ball game.

bagwell368
06-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Celtics are not losing in the first round, and to say there's no chance of them winning is laughable and naive

Oh please junior.... I've seen this year happen with every Celt Championship team that fell since Russell's Celtics. There is nothing unique about these Celtics, and the competition is very fierce out there.

Dead, Done, Cooked, Fried, Toasted

Only the terminally optimistic and those under 25 years old believe in the Celts next year. Those that pay taxes, mortgages, car payments - they are not so blinded by the once great, but fading group that they are today.

ATSW02D16
06-22-2011, 03:33 PM
They just need some good depth on their bench, then I think they can reach the finals like they did just a year ago, and maybe pull another one out. Allen, Pierce, and KG have it in them.

Hustlenomics
06-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Oh please junior.... I've seen this year happen with every Celt Championship team that fell since Russell's Celtics. There is nothing unique about these Celtics, and the competition is very fierce out there.

Only the terminally optimistic and those under 25 years old believe in the Celts next year. Those that pay taxes, mortgages, car payments - they are not so blinded by the once great, but fading group that they are today.

:laugh2: ok we'll see

Lakerfrk
06-22-2011, 03:37 PM
With trading Perk, Shaq retiring, and Krstic going back to Europe... unless they can get Brendan Haywood, or someone like that..... then no, I don't think so.

justinnum1
06-22-2011, 03:38 PM
No.

Gambeezy
06-22-2011, 03:41 PM
They would need some blockbuster moves and I don't see that happening. Rivers should have walked away. A sixth seed next year at best. The Heat, Magic, Bulls, Knicks, and Hawks will all finish higher.

I would seriously hesitate to call the Celtics a 6th seed at best. That core of Rondo, KG, Pierce, and Allen know how to win in the regular season no matter who is placed around them. I won't be shocked at all to see them finish with the 3 seed again.

knickfan33
06-22-2011, 03:49 PM
No.... unless they pull of some amazing moves.

DaVille
06-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Haven't you heard? Celtics Champs 2012.

Celtics could very well been in the finals this year. They had bad luck losing Rondo to an elbow injury, and Lebron James ridiculous shooting streak. The man couldn't miss against the Celtics. Wished the Lebron James from Mavs series showed up. Who knows then how that series would have turned out with a healthy Rondo. Celtics win game 4 series tied 2-2

YoungOne
06-22-2011, 04:04 PM
yeah, people act like we were blown out by the heat..

ghettosean
06-22-2011, 04:04 PM
I can't believe this is even up for debate... I'll just say this if wade didn't do that nice sweep ninja move on Rondo in the playoffs (that he made look so innocent) then I'm not sure they would have made it to the finals... Celts kept games close even with a one armed Rondo.... so yes!

Sportfan
06-22-2011, 04:09 PM
If we use last year's roster, hell no.

It will be interesting to see what Ainge wants to do. He can take a step back by trading KG or Allen to get some pieces for the future (like the rumored J-Smoove deal or even the Monta deal from last year)
Or they can give it one more run...add a veteran like Grant Hill and a center like Sammy Dalembert plus a smart draft day trade and (Hopefully) Big Baby for a 2 that can take over Allen in a year or two.

RLundi
06-22-2011, 04:10 PM
I love when people play the 'shoulda woulda coulda' card. Fortunately, we don't live in a world of 'ifs.' The Heat beat the Celtics because they were better than them. And next year, if Boston's roster stays mostly intact, the Heat will continue to be better than them.

But some tweaks here and there, and sure, Boston could win it all again. But last postseason is over with. Moving forward, Boston looks like the second best team in the east behind Miami as of right now.

kingkenny01
06-22-2011, 04:21 PM
i guess they are not good enough because their is talk to trade rondo-

Sports Illustrated NBA writer Chris Mannix checked in with the Dennis & Callahan show Wednesday morning to talk about the Celtics and Thursday’s NBA draft. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page. Mannix said Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge will not shy away from dealing any player in order to avoid a slow descent into mediocrity, and he noted that even the team’s young star, Rajon Rondo, has been the subject of trade talks in the recent past. “I think he’s talking about moving everybody. I really do,” Mannix said of Ainge. “I’ve had conversations with different people around the league; I would throw Rajon Rondo on that list as well. … He has explored dealing Rajon Rondo in the past. He has talked to other GMs about him in the past. I’m not saying he’s been willing to pull the trigger in the past, but Rajon Rondo has been on the table in the past year or so. WEEI.com

drobe86
06-22-2011, 04:29 PM
The Celtics have no chance... The boat has sailed and the window is now closed. Paulie is slowing down and Garnett is basically done. Rondo is a very good player but he's clearly not as effective with the decline of this latest group...

shep33
06-22-2011, 04:31 PM
DA dumped him for almost nothing, meaning he has no upside, also note the position he was drafted in.

Shaq was a one year deal, despite the two year contract, Perk wasn't coming back (not at that idiotic price he got), Krstic could opt out of his contract in Russia if he likes.

C'mon though man, he shot 56% from the field, grabbed 3 boards. He showed potential when he was in there. If he's not worth much money, why not hang on to him, atleast send him to the d-league or something.

Trading 7 footers for nothing can bite teams in the butt. I'm a Laker fan, and I still get upset that we traded Marc Gasol to Memphis. Still worked out for us, but in a league where bigs are rare, you never know where a diamond in the rough can be.

Redbull
06-22-2011, 04:32 PM
As of right now I would say yes because I believe they still have a shot at beating the two ECF teams the Heat and the Bulls. After all of the trades/signings are over if they don't make any moves I believe the teams will just be to good and maybe at best they will be a hard out.

Lakerhead4ever
06-22-2011, 04:45 PM
i hope so, lets see boson and la one more time in the finals

avrpatsfan
06-22-2011, 05:03 PM
no.
I guess the Knicks won't either then because we swept you guys.

nope
The Celtics fared better in the playoffs than the Lakers too.

I can't believe this is even up for debate... I'll just say this if wade didn't do that nice sweep ninja move on Rondo in the playoffs (that he made look so innocent) then I'm not sure they would have made it to the finals... felts kept games close even with a one armed Rondo.... so yes!
Exactly. And that was when the chemistry was hurt because of the Perk trade. The trade was good but had unintended consequences which was a loss of chemistry.

The Celtics have no chance... The boat has sailed and the window is now closed. Paulie is slowing down and Garnett is basically done. Rondo is a very good player but he's clearly not as effective with the decline of this latest group...
Such an ignorant post. Just a year ago the Celtics were one cheap shot on Perkins away from a title. This year the Celtics fared better than your team, the Lakers, and made the series competitive even with a loss of chemistry and Rondo not having a functioning right arm. We'll be fine as long as Ainge makes good moves this offseason. If he doesn't then we're done but that can be said about most teams.

king4day
06-22-2011, 05:29 PM
They need some roster improvements to judge. They should try to make a run at Robin Lopez. He's not great but he played fantastic next to Amar'e. He might be able to rekindle that next to KG.

IceMan360
06-22-2011, 06:15 PM

:laugh:

So true lol

JordansBulls
06-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Would you trade Pierce now?

S-Dot
06-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Would you trade Pierce now?

I think they owe to it Pierce to let him retire a Celt JB. Unless someone offers Ainge a Memphis Pau Gasol type of deal for him, which I dont see happening.

BuddhaMONK
06-23-2011, 02:05 PM
not a chance, they couldn't beat miami in there's first year together. Those three are just going to get better and better with experience...time for a rebuild IMO.

S-Dot
06-23-2011, 02:08 PM
not a chance, they couldn't beat miami in there's first year together. Those three are just going to get better and better with experience...time for a rebuild IMO.

This is true. I think it's time to rebuild, but I dont mind seeing the core of the team stay together. They're the only team I really see as being a true family, maybe that's because ESPN dedicated the show to them. But they're competitive and they brought Boston back to prominence.

gaughan333
06-23-2011, 02:21 PM
I guess the Knicks won't either then because we swept you guys.

The Celtics fared better in the playoffs than the Lakers too.

Exactly. And that was when the chemistry was hurt because of the Perk trade. The trade was good but had unintended consequences which was a loss of chemistry.

Such an ignorant post. Just a year ago the Celtics were one cheap shot on Perkins away from a title. This year the Celtics fared better than your team, the Lakers, and made the series competitive even with a loss of chemistry and Rondo not having a functioning right arm. We'll be fine as long as Ainge makes good moves this offseason. If he doesn't then we're done but that can be said about most teams.

What do the knicks or lakers have to do with the celtics being good enough to win it all? This post came off very immature

NBA_Starter
06-23-2011, 02:23 PM
With a few moves but standing pat no!

FadeAwayLikeMJ
06-23-2011, 03:18 PM
We

FadeAwayLikeMJ
06-23-2011, 03:18 PM
We only have 6 players....