PDA

View Full Version : Suns and Wolves talk Nash for #2 Pick

sixer04fan
06-22-2011, 09:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6690475

The Phoenix Suns' general posture has been to rebuff trade inquiries for star guard Steve Nash, but the Suns have had discussions this month with the Minnesota Timberwolves about a deal to send Nash to Minnesota in a package for the No. 2 overall pick in Thursday's draft, according to sources briefed on the talks.

The talks, though, haven't advanced beyond the exploratory stage because of what sources described as a "mutual conclusion" by both teams that such a deal would ultimately not work for the Wolves because of Nash's presumed desire to land with an established title contender if he finally leaves the Suns.

Sources say that the player Phoenix covets in the draft is Arizona forward Derrick Williams, although Suns officials have publicly denied reports that they have alternatively offered center Marcin Gortat and the No. 13 overall pick for the No. 2 selection instead of Nash.

Nash, who turned 37 in February, has one season left on his contract valued at $11.7 million. The Wolves' fear, sources said, is that trading for Nash under those circumstances means they'd have him for a season at best before he moved on in free agency.

So the Wolves, according to sources, continue to explore other trade options with the No. 2 selection, such as a proposal to Washington that the Wizards have steadfastly declined in which Minnesota has tried to acquire JaVale McGee and the No. 6 pick for the No. 2 pick.

Numerous teams, most notably New York, Portland and Orlando, have been trying to persuade the Suns to trade Nash for months, but Phoenix has quickly rejected the overwhelming majority of those overtures.

Yet the opportunity to acquire a draft pick high enough to land them a player with local ties like Williams is a scenario that the Suns could apparently stomach to part with one of the most popular players in franchise history.

ESPN.com reported in February that the Wolves were already targeting Nash, long before they knew they'd even have the No. 2 pick to dangle, as an ideal mentor to young Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio, who finally arrived in Minnesota this week two full seasons after Rubio was selected with the fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft.

But the Wolves, sources say, have likewise always known that the prospect of actually completing a deal for Nash would be complicated and risky. The assumption around the league is that the Suns, once they do decide they're ready to trade him, would work with Nash to send him somewhere he'd like to be if possible as a reward for his loyal service in two separate Phoenix stints.

Nash, who's preparing to host his annual charity soccer game Wednesday in New York featuring NBA and international soccer stars, has consistently said that he will not request a trade despite the Suns' failure to even make the playoffs last season.

"Maybe I'm old school," Nash told ESPN.com in January, "but I signed a contract to play here and I want to honor it. I feel like I owe it to my teammates and the city and everybody to keep battling until they tell me it's time to go."

Interesting - I think Nash and Rubio both playing effectively together would be a challenge, but Nash is the perfect teacher for Rubio. We'll see what happens. Could make sense for the Suns if they want to rebuild around Derrick Williams

king4day
06-22-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm surprised ESPN is posting something about it considering it's not going to happen (based on the article).

As a Suns fan, I'd do it. I think most Suns fans would.

mgsports
06-22-2011, 10:01 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine How to get Nash to Magic but have to give JJ to do it.

Evolution23
06-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Don't the wolves already have Rubio? "He's the next Steve Nash/Jason Kidd"

sixer04fan
06-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Don't the wolves already have Rubio? "He's the next Steve Nash/Jason Kidd"

He's definitely drawing comparisons to Steve Nash. If this trade happened, the Wolves see it more as a way to teach Rubio I would guess. I mean, the kid has been labeled a phenom, and he averaged what, like 5 ppg on his professional team? He's only 19 still, and has some learning to do. Steve Nash would be the perfect guy for him to play behind.

If the Wolves see them playing together though in the back court, that's a little harder to fathom, because they have very similar games.

wmudford
06-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Once again, Lon Babby addressed the rumor this morning and said it's not happening. Enough of this

king4day
06-22-2011, 10:33 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine How to get Nash to Magic but have to give JJ to do it.

You have to save the trade and copy the link. You just posted the trade machine website.

Regardless, Orlando would have to give up a whole lot more than JJ to get Nash from us. They don't have assets. Not a good trade partner.

JordansBulls
06-22-2011, 10:56 AM
The Wolves would have to be ******** to do this deal.

Hawkeye15
06-22-2011, 10:58 AM
The Wolves would never do this deal. Neither would the Suns, though it would be a good move for them.

Punk
06-22-2011, 10:58 AM
The Wolves would have to be ******** to do this deal.

....Getting the guy who everyone compares to Rubio is ********?

KnicksR4Real
06-22-2011, 10:59 AM
another mother ****ing point guard?!

mgsports
06-22-2011, 11:00 AM
They also give Duhon and Orton.

Swashcuff
06-22-2011, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't mind to seeing a #2 for Gortat + #13 swap if I were a Wolves fan. Maybe add a Dudley and Tolliver each way to sweeten the deal. This trade however I don't really see the reasoning behind it. Not going to happen.

JordansBulls
06-22-2011, 11:04 AM
....Getting the guy who everyone compares to Rubio is ********?

No, trading the #2 pick for a 37 year old is ********.

WSU Tony
06-22-2011, 11:09 AM
This CAN'T happen. Not wont, but can't. Didn't you hear their GM say he won't trade nash or gortat?

it can't happen.

:laugh:

Avenged
06-22-2011, 11:56 AM
I know Nash is great and all but given his age, and the fact that the pick will be for a young #2 pick, you just don't do a trade like that. Nash is on his final year(S) now. Add to the fact that they already have Rubio, no need to make changed to their youth, let these guys develop. The Wolves certainly are looking to have a bright future if they don't trade away their youthful core.

king4day
06-22-2011, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't mind to seeing a #2 for Gortat + #13 swap if I were a Wolves fan. Maybe add a Dudley and Tolliver each way to sweeten the deal. This trade however I don't really see the reasoning behind it. Not going to happen.

Dudley will never be a throw in to a trade. He's a part of the Suns future core along with Gortat.

shep33
06-22-2011, 12:32 PM
I have no clue what's going on in the minds of Minni's front office. First you want a package deal of one of Bynum or Gasol for the #2 pick, now they want to create a package for Steve Nash, a 37 year old pg.

MrfadeawayJB
06-22-2011, 12:45 PM
hahah this is ridiculous now

smith&wesson
06-22-2011, 01:05 PM
why would the wolves do this ?

Avenged
06-22-2011, 01:25 PM
I think the Wolves are just trying to add more value to their pick. Their are various offers coming from them, some in which make no sense so I think if a team really want the #2, they're going to have to bite sooner or later.

Heediot
06-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Screw these rumors, half the damn league has been linked to that 2nd overall pick.