Kobe and Gasol
Durant and Westbrook
LeBron and Wade

Giraffes Rule
06-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Cool beans

Hellcrooner
06-21-2011, 09:55 PM
watch out Jb they are better than the 96 bulls, and would beat the yankees at baseball, and the steelers at football, and they they would win all the tennis grand slam.....

daleja424
06-21-2011, 10:00 PM
They became the first team in NBA history... no way!

sixer04fan
06-21-2011, 10:02 PM

Haha the title was a little misleading

Bubba313
06-21-2011, 10:06 PM
That's pretty interesting if it's true

tredigs
06-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Dirk Nowitzki and Mavs become first team in NBA history

To defeat three teams that each had a

ALL-NBA 1st team player and ALL-NBA 2nd team player:

Kobe and Gasol
Durant and Westbrook
LeBron and Wade

Proof that teams/matchups trump individual players, every time. Hence why your insistent arguments of "but Player _X_ has never lost HCA to ____" are so misleading/uninformative.

Still, what a run that was by the Mavs. I don't see it ever happening again given the makeup of all the young/potent teams, but they definitely made the most of it in '11,

ink
06-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Proof that teams/matchups trump individual players, every time. Hence why your insistent arguments of "but Player _X_ has never lost HCA to ____" are so misleading/uninformative.

Still, what a run that was by the Mavs. I don't see it ever happening again given the makeup of all the young/potent teams, but they definitely made the most of it in '11,

I put this title in the same category as the Pistons win over the Lakers in 04. One of a kind. I loved it, just as I loved the Pistons win, but it is one of a kind, not a trend.

tredigs
06-21-2011, 10:25 PM
I put this title in the same category as the Pistons win over the Lakers in 04. One of a kind. I loved it, just as I loved the Pistons win, but it is one of a kind, not a trend.

"One of a kind"... but by your own admittance two of the last seven years?

edit for clarity: The best teams often have a top 5 player, but by no means is having the best player (or even two great players) enough. Every champion I can think of has been a great team.

king4day
06-21-2011, 10:27 PM

Enough to make Stern happy that fans will have hope the NBA isn't becoming ruined by the super teams.

Tanakid777
06-21-2011, 10:33 PM
watch out Jb they are better than the 96 bulls, and would beat the yankees at baseball, and the steelers at football, and they they would win all the tennis grand slam.....

I've heard no one say any of this. Your hate is seeping through your pores lol

drobe86
06-21-2011, 10:48 PM
What we were able to accomplish this postseason was nothing short of spectacular. Of course we won't get the respect because we're not the lakers, celtics, knicks, or any of the other fanbases that have bandwagon fans. But it is what it is.... We did our work and nobody can take it away from dirk and the Mavs, as well as MFFL that have been through thick and thin..

Giraffes Rule
06-21-2011, 10:51 PM
What we were able to accomplish this postseason was nothing short of spectacular. Of course we won't get the respect because we're not the lakers, celtics, knicks, or any of the other fanbases that have bandwagon fans. But it is what it is.... We did our work and nobody can take it away from dirk and the Mavs, as well as MFFL that have been through thick and thin..

You're that bearded dude that was slapping guys on the chest during timeouts, aren't you?

JordansBulls
06-21-2011, 10:52 PM

No, that is still important. Most stars are not that good with HCA when playing against 50+ win teams.

drobe86
06-21-2011, 10:58 PM
You're that bearded dude that was slapping guys on the chest during timeouts, aren't you?

Oh yea... How did you know?:rolleyes:

KnicksR4Real
06-21-2011, 11:01 PM
first team in the NBA? lol. jk

ATSW02D16
06-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Pretty interesting. It was just the Mavs year, but props nonetheless.

PurpleJesus
06-21-2011, 11:16 PM
thats actually pretty cool...

in a league that is trending towards teams stocking multiple stars, the Mavericks won with one big star, then great role players.

allSUAVE
06-21-2011, 11:27 PM
DIRK = AMAZINGNESS LMAOO Duhh

Gagan136
06-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Interesting.

Ebbs
06-22-2011, 01:47 AM
Yay us!

Delfiffer
06-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Kobe making the All-NBA 1st team over Wade is a joke. Wade had a much better season than Kobe. He beats him in pretty much every category. Kobe only made the 1st team based off reputation and the fact that the voters considered Kobe the best player on the Lakers, while Wade was second fiddle to LeBron.
Either way, Wade >`Kobe in 2010-2011

FriedTofuz
06-22-2011, 02:00 AM

Kobe and Gasol
Durant and Westbrook
LeBron and Wade

What an interesting piece of information, your certainly on a role with bringing your observations to the rest of the forum :D .Dirk and the mavericks have made history. Its unlikely that westbrook will be on the 2nd team.

UnWantedTheory
06-22-2011, 02:21 AM
Bound to happen in the current NBA. Not a big deal imo.

smith&wesson
06-22-2011, 02:34 AM
looking back at the teams dallas had to beat to win this season, they really had a great run.

GunFactor187
06-22-2011, 02:40 AM
Cool Story Bro.

JordansBulls
06-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Well I remember teams were 11-0 in the finals when the series was tied and the team that won game 3 hadn't lost yet. Dallas broke that as well.

S-Dot
06-23-2011, 02:53 PM
For them to go through Kobe, KD, and Miami's Wade and LeBron, they truly had a run people will appreciate many years down the line more than they do today. Those are going to be 4 huge names that define this era of the NBA when people speak of it...and the Mavs convincingly beat them all.

Thatruth32
06-23-2011, 02:57 PM
That's pretty interesting if it's true

agreed

IDB Josh M
06-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Mavs deserve all the credit that should be given to them. Dirk being considered the best euro player, the first in NBA history to do this feat, the first to have only one all-star.

Chronz
06-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Stellar run, inexplicable. Quality depth around a single star isnt suppose to beat out raw star power, when it happens the sole star with the chip gets a significant boost in his overall stature, Im seeing some of that with Dirk now. Fair or not, Im not clear on, but it happened with Hakeem in 94 and Duncan in 03, it is yet to be seen if Dirk gets THAT much of a boost historically.

Lets do a simple comparison to the other Texas teams on route to an improbable title.

Hakeem as his teams sole All-Star had to beat out atleast 2 All-Stars every round. First it was Drexler + Cliffy, then Chuck + KJ (All-NBA Duo), Stockton+Malone (All-NBA Duo), and the 3 headed All-Star Monster of Ewing/Starks/Oakley.

Similar story with Duncan being the only All-Star, he first had to go against Marbury/Marion (1All-NBA + 1All-Star), Shaq and Kobe (All-NBA Duo), Nash+Dirk (All-NBA Duo).

Im not sure what to make of these title runs, I always felt Houston caught fire from deep at the right time (much like Dallas) and it propelled them to a higher level of play. San Antonio got alot of lucky breaks, Kobe and Shaq feud, Dirk/CWebb both went down these playoffs, and Kerr had a game for the ages.

Delfiffer
06-27-2011, 12:39 AM
I find it odd how people aren't mentioning that the Mavs faced the Blazers in the first round. As if they somehow get a free pass

Xsatyr
06-28-2011, 10:00 AM
I was very happy for Dirk and Kidd but quoting someone from another forum, "You mavs fans need to stop with the overrating of the mavs. Face it. You beat a hobbled blazer squad, a lakers team that was so unmotivated that the hornets gave them problems without their second best player (david west). Beat a super young and inexperience okc team, then beat a miami heat team that had no bench, no center and a terrible coach."
That quote was directed to someone calling the Mavs the greatest road team in NBA history.

LakersIn5
06-28-2011, 10:47 AM

Kobe and Gasol
Durant and Westbrook
LeBron and Wade

because the other championship squads didnt have a chance to do so.

Skippy15
06-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Pretty intersting. Just shows that a good team wins. Not individuals.

theheatles
06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
the mavs 2011 playoff run is going to go down as top 5 most impressive of all time

Lone Maverick
06-28-2011, 11:12 AM
I was very happy for Dirk and Kidd but quoting someone from another forum, "You mavs fans need to stop with the overrating of the mavs. Face it. You beat a hobbled blazer squad, a lakers team that was so unmotivated that the hornets gave them problems without their second best player (david west). Beat a super young and inexperience okc team, then beat a miami heat team that had no bench, no center and a terrible coach."
That quote was directed to someone calling the Mavs the greatest road team in NBA history.

Eh I'll agree that some fans have been saying some pretty outlandish things but I just think that comes with the territory of finally winning a ring and feeling that vindication. Just that carryover effect.

Main thing I'll say in response to your quote is if every team we faced was so flawed then why wasn't Dallas favored in any round?

I'll just give credit where credit is due. Best road team ever? who knows. Best team ever? no. Best team this year. Damn right.

Car Ramrod
06-28-2011, 11:38 AM
I think people are fogetting how well they were coached.

The best coached teams both Dallas and Miami played were in the first round.

Phil Jackson had no control over the Lakers in that series. You could tell on the sidelines that the players weren't listening to him at all. Portland and Philly were getting the most of there players.

Boston and Chicago looked lost and seemed to have one game plan. When it wasn't working they made zero adjustments. Dallas was the first team to really attack Miami's lack of a centre and inability to stop a point guard.

Dallas is going to miss Dwayne Casey this year.

stipe1280
06-28-2011, 12:05 PM

I hate when people forget to add that they would win the Indy 500 and Masters as well. Sheesh. :D

ddhulett
06-28-2011, 12:11 PM

You can make an excuse for every team but what the Mavs did was beat 3 teams with 55+ wins and a Portland team with 48wins.

You can talk about hobbled Blazer squad but really the 1s round Memphis and the Blazers were probably the best road teams at the time!Chicago had the Pacers who had a losing record and Miami played the 76's!

OKC was a team that just took out Memphis and Memphis took out the Spurs.
Lakers were 2 time defending champs with the same players Kobe, Bynum, Gasol! everyone had us losing

The Miami Heat took out the Celtics and Bulls and everyone had them beating the Mavs but your not impressed.

Xsatyr
06-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Eh I'll agree that some fans have been saying some pretty outlandish things but I just think that comes with the territory of finally winning a ring and feeling that vindication. Just that carryover effect.

Main thing I'll say in response to your quote is if every team we faced was so flawed then why wasn't Dallas favored in any round?

I'll just give credit where credit is due. Best road team ever? who knows. Best team ever? no. Best team this year. Damn right.

Best road team ever? No where near. Definitely best team this year but this year was one of the weakest years in recent memory imho. I'm all for downsizing the NBA, too much talent spread out around the league.

Xsatyr
06-28-2011, 05:10 PM
You can make an excuse for every team but what the Mavs did was beat 3 teams with 55+ wins and a Portland team with 48wins.

You can talk about hobbled Blazer squad but really the 1s round Memphis and the Blazers were probably the best road teams at the time!Chicago had the Pacers who had a losing record and Miami played the 76's!

OKC was a team that just took out Memphis and Memphis took out the Spurs.
Lakers were 2 time defending champs with the same players Kobe, Bynum, Gasol! everyone had us losing

The Miami Heat took out the Celtics and Bulls and everyone had them beating the Mavs but your not impressed.

The celtics are old and the Bulls are overrated. Derrick Rose is one the worst mvp winners ever in the history of the NBA. So no not that impressed.

Like I said in my previous post this was a weak year. The league is in a small transition where some young players are not in their primes yet and some older stars are aging. I fully expect Miami Heat to win a few championships as much I would hate to see it bc Lebron and Wade are ready. They got beat out by a veteran team and a player, Dirk, who wanted that ring way more than they did.

Again I am very Happy for Dirk, I think this was his last chance to win. If they make it to the finals next year then I will be rooting for them like this year. I'm from Texas and root for Texas teams.

KingPosey
06-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Yep and Jack Elliot led his team in 9th inning doubles in the month of August.

Akagaminosteven
06-28-2011, 08:07 PM
:laugh:
Yep and Jack Elliot led his team in 9th inning doubles in the month of August.

:laugh:

drobe86
06-28-2011, 10:52 PM
The celtics are old and the Bulls are overrated. Derrick Rose is one the worst mvp winners ever in the history of the NBA. So no not that impressed.

Like I said in my previous post this was a weak year. The league is in a small transition where some young players are not in their primes yet and some older stars are aging. I fully expect Miami Heat to win a few championships as much I would hate to see it bc Lebron and Wade are ready. They got beat out by a veteran team and a player, Dirk, who wanted that ring way more than they did.

Again I am very Happy for Dirk, I think this was his last chance to win. If they make it to the finals next year then I will be rooting for them like this year. I'm from Texas and root for Texas teams.

All I hear is you making excuses for the Mavs improbable run. They were picked by noone but Mavs fans to get to the Finals and win. 99 percent of the World had us losing to the Blazers. We beat them and now they aren't good? We completely sweep the Lakers who everyone thought would "turn it on" so much for that huh? I guess we lucked up there too... OKC was this great young up and coming team that made it all the way to the WCF and we they get beat all of a sudden they are too young? Lol... And we drop Miami off and they were supposed to win not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7, championships. Be a man and give credit where credit is due. Nobody said we were the greatest team of all time. Though I believe we could play with any team from any era....

drobe86
06-28-2011, 10:58 PM
:facepalm:

This post is wrong on a number of fronts.

1. Small Transition? I'm not sure if you know this but the NBA hasn't been this popular since the 80's. As a matter of fact there hasn't been this many GREAT NBA players in a long time.

2. Lebron and Wade are ready? What about that NBA Finals series told you they were ready? 8 pts in an NBA Finals game and you are ready? I'd hate to see what not being ready is like...

3. Yes the Celtics are old but that doesn't stop them from being a very quality team. The Mavs technically had the oldest roster in the NBA. We're NBA Champions. So there goes that dumb *** theory right out the window.

4. The Bulls are overrated? They finished the regular season with the East number 1 seed with a young team with no second option. You do realize they are 1 player away from being the Detroit Pistons of the early 2000's right? I fully expect Chicago to be a contender in the NBA the next uhhh 5-6 years.

5. Derrick Rose is overrated?:facepalm: Wow... This is stupidity at its finest. How does a 22 year old with an unlimited ceiling that led his team to the ECF be overrated? Just Wow...

Team*Chicago
06-28-2011, 11:32 PM

Yes they did, YOU MAD that they kicked cryami heat a--es in the process.

gotoHcarolina52
06-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Yes they did, YOU MAD that they kicked cryami heat a--es in the process.

The Bulls managed to win one game against the HEAT in the ECF this year. One game. I would shut the **** up if I were you.

The Final Boss
06-29-2011, 12:32 AM

Was that the great Pistons dynasty team who played a Lakers team with 2 great players and a bunch of scrubs?