PDA

View Full Version : Suns offer Gortat and #13 pick for the Wolves #2

Highlight
06-21-2011, 07:02 PM
The Suns have offered Marcin Gortat plus the No. 13 pick for the Wolves' No. 2 pick, according to ESPN's Chad Ford.
The Wolves have called just about every team in the league, so the rumors are running rampant. All we can really gather is that they don't really want Derrick Williams. Gortat emerged as a true difference-maker at the center spot for the Suns last year, so it's a little surprising to hear his name on the table.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1188/marcin-gortat

It's reported on ESPN insider and Rotoworld posted it on their site as well.

Kind of shocking if this is true. Gortat played extremely well for Phoenix. If this is true, Derrick Williams workouts must be off the charts...

Hawkeye15
06-21-2011, 07:19 PM
can't post insider here, its a pay site. If you send me the rotoworld link via VM, I will re-open with that link.

Hawkeye15
06-21-2011, 07:36 PM
re-opened with new link

ManRam
06-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Now, I don't think Minnesota should bite on this one...despite their need for a true center...

ATSW02D16
06-21-2011, 07:41 PM
This is a decent trade, Gortat showed that he can be a good starting center in this league and this could really improve Minny's front court alongside Love. Not sure how this can play out from Phoenix's end.

lvlheaded
06-21-2011, 07:42 PM
I would love Gortat on the Knicks. This would be a good deal for Minny, idk about Phoenix though

cwilson21
06-21-2011, 07:43 PM
As a Wolves fan, I'd be down for that.

ManRam
06-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Gortat stunk last year before he went to PHX. He was playing poorly for us. I don't think he's got as much upside offensively as he showed last year (playing with Nash and on the up-tempo Suns). He's a great defender, but I don't know if I give up the #2 pick for him, even in such a week draft.

Hawkeye15
06-21-2011, 07:47 PM
ManRam you have watched him play a ton. We now are going to have a great passing PG, and the times I have watched Gortat, he looks like a top 10 center. Looking into his advanced numbers, I see a 16-10 center if given 32 mpg, on decent efficiency. Why are you hesitant?

Agar81
06-21-2011, 07:47 PM
He also got a chance for a more substantial role on the Suns...Afterall, how much of a difference are you going to make behind D12

ManRam
06-21-2011, 07:52 PM
ManRam you have watched him play a ton. We now are going to have a great passing PG, and the times I have watched Gortat, he looks like a top 10 center. Looking into his advanced numbers, I see a 16-10 center if given 32 mpg, on decent efficiency. Why are you hesitant?

I just don't think his ceiling is as high as Williams' (who I've been bashing all day).

He's no scrub, and could be a top 10 center (might already be), but I'm just not sure it's worth it for the second over all pick. I guess playing next to Love he would work well since their games compliment each other's...but he left a bad taste in my mouth how he played in Orlando last season (not the year before). He had regressed.

I guess I'm being irrational and letting a small and perhaps emotional sample size skew my judgement...but as a Wolves fan, I'd be too excited about the Bynum rumor to get excited about this (even though this does seem more credible).

:shrug:

wmudford
06-21-2011, 07:52 PM
This is by no means a balanced trade. As a suns fan I have studied Gortat intensively and like Hawkeye said, he is easily a 16-10 guy if given the minutes. And to throw in #13 for an unproven player like Williams is laughable. If Wolves throw in #20 and Anthony Randolph, however, it becomes much more balanced

Dash
06-21-2011, 07:54 PM
That's a good trade IMO...

Tony_Starks
06-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I'd do it if I were Minny. Gortat gives them just what they were looking for, an experienced big. Plus they can still get a very solid pick at #13. Scratch that. I meant to say almost any other GM would get a very solid pick at #13.....

IUBball22
06-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I think Im at the point will all these # 2 picks rumors, that Im calling BS on everything. We have went from Hibbert & the 15th pick to Bynum and Odom for Love & 2 to Gortat & 13. Gortat played great for Pheonix down the stretch. I think Minnesota is throwing everything out there they can to get a stronger deal for the 2nd pick...and its not going to work. Everyone in the world knows you dont want the pick so why should anyone give the Wolves the king's ransom that they want

Hawkeye15
06-21-2011, 08:02 PM
I'd do it if I were Minny. Gortat gives them just what they were looking for, an experienced big. Plus they can still get a very solid pick at #13. Scratch that. I meant to say almost any other GM would get a very solid pick at #13.....

I should give you crap for the 2nd part, but Kahn hasn't impressed me with his drafting in the slightest. Hopefully Ronzone is the one calling the shots entirely

kozelkid
06-21-2011, 08:08 PM
One thing is for sure, with a Gortat Love duo, it would be nearly impossible to get an offensive rebound against them. :laugh2:

smith&wesson
06-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Gortat was playing really well last season after being traded to phx. I think all he needed was a pass first pg like nash rather then a shoot first pg like nelson. If he goes to minny i can see him doing well playing with rubio. rubio strikes me as a past first pg although i never really saw him play.

Saad
06-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Id do it if I was the Wolves. You get an up and coming center + a decent pick.

FriedTofuz
06-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Sounds like a good trade for both teams. The Wolves could certainly use a center. Is every team offering minesota assets for their pick?

Sly Guy
06-21-2011, 08:22 PM
wow, I thought Gortat would be untouchable. To be honest, if I were the wolves, I'd take this trade. Love-Gortat front line would be pretty imposing.

thephoenixson28
06-21-2011, 08:36 PM
If minny offered the number 2 pick for bynum, they sure in hell better accept this offer.

Hawkeye15
06-21-2011, 08:37 PM
If minny offered the number 2 pick for bynum, they sure in hell better accept this offer.

haha, I can't fault your logic, but its the Wolves front office that needs to accept a deal, not us

FriedTofuz
06-21-2011, 08:43 PM

Not going to happend. Im assuming a lot of teams see somethhing special in williams, and thats the reason why so many teams have been trying to aquire the 2nd pick? I dont understand why Phoneix doesnt keep gortat. Hes been quite solid, statistically, and plays defense.

BullsFTW
06-21-2011, 08:46 PM

nice sig :drool:

anyways, i actually think it makes sense for both teams. wolves need a center, and suns need a true power forward. maybe the bulls can get involve with this one.

bulls get: #2 + fillers
suns get: boozer
wolves get: gortat + 13th + fillers

Hawkeye15
06-21-2011, 08:51 PM

I have returned to this thread simply to check out the chick in your sig.....

Hawkeye15
06-21-2011, 08:53 PM

anyways, i actually think it makes sense for both teams. wolves need a center, and suns need a true power forward. maybe the bulls can get involve with this one.

as long as those fillers don't include Love, Randolph, Rubio and either Wes or Beasley (one can go, don't care which), I am down

D Roses Bulls
06-21-2011, 08:53 PM

I would definitely do this if I was the wolves. gortat is very solid. he can do a lot more good then anyone the wolves would get in the draft and I like gortat. plus this draft is so weak. gortat is better then anyone your gonna get in the draft most likely plus you get another lottery pick. now thats if the wolves cant get any better deal of course.

daleja424
06-21-2011, 08:55 PM
someone just make a trade already... jebus

king4day
06-21-2011, 08:59 PM
This rumor is a few days old. Already been shot down. We have a thread on it in the Suns forum.

http://arizonasports.com/category/suns-articles/20110621/Suns-call-Gortat-trade-rumors-unfounded/

jetman
06-21-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm surprised there isn't more value out there for a guy like Derrick Williams, the guy can play.

AnalyzeNShoot
06-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Throw in Darko and its a deal!

king4day
06-21-2011, 09:02 PM
The only reason this would make sense for Phoenix is, we have 0 potential superstars. Williams could become the guy we could build around.
I love Gortat and it'd kill me if we traded him given how well he performed last year (his post defense was incredible), but if we aren't going to win now, by the time we get a good team together, Gortat may be in his early 30's. Bigs tend to have their production fall off earlier than other positions due to all the banging inside.

In the Suns forum, we're pretty split on this one.

BullsFTW
06-21-2011, 09:07 PM
as long as those fillers don't include Love, Randolph, Rubio and either Wes or Beasley (one can go, don't care which), I am down

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3b2cdny

king4day
06-21-2011, 09:11 PM
Bulls Receive: 2nd Pick & Pietrus
Wolves Receive: Gortat + 13th Pick + Trade Exception
Suns Receive: Boozer + Webster + 28th Pick

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3b2cdny

Ha, no thanks. The only reason we'd trade Gortat is to get a potential superstar in return. Not a bad contract and even worse draft pick.

BullsFTW
06-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Ha, no thanks. The only reason we'd trade Gortat is to get a potential superstar in return. Not a bad contract and even worse draft pick.

OK, how's this trade?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3zs9ge9

Bulls: 2nd Pick & Pietrus
Suns: Thompson, Webster, and 7th Pick
Wolves: Gortat & 13th
Kings: Boozer

LA_Raiders
06-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Dang whats up with that #2 pick?

BullsFTW
06-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Dang whats up with that #2 pick?

#2 is talked about being traded. i don't think my proposal will happen. just speculating trades like any other fan who's anxious about the draft.

Raps18-19 Champ
06-21-2011, 09:41 PM
I offer Ed Davis for the 2nd.

koreancabbage
06-21-2011, 09:41 PM

then you might as well get Gasol, who is heads and tails will do more for your team than Gortat will ever do in his career. Gasol is also key for Rubio and help break the european to north american style/language barrier.

Hawkeye15
06-21-2011, 09:43 PM
then you might as well get Gasol, who is heads and tails will do more for your team than Gortat will ever do in his career. Gasol is also key for Rubio and help break the european to north american style/language barrier.

The Wolves would have to offer the #2 pick and upwards of 4 players to make the Gasol deal work due to the ridiculous contract Pau has.

Not happening

koreancabbage
06-21-2011, 10:05 PM
The Wolves would have to offer the #2 pick and upwards of 4 players to make the Gasol deal work due to the ridiculous contract Pau has.

Not happening

true lol but come on... its the Wolves lol you might as well call up D-leaguers and they could STILL get you to 17 wins. as long as you have Love and Rubio you guys should benefit of having Gasol around.

Gasol, Love and Rubio should get you at least 17 wins by themselves.

DoJoTheSlasher
06-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Bad trade for Minny. Gortat's numbers were greatly increased due to playing with Steve Nash. This is also a weak draft too. Take Derrick Williams/Enes Kanter over that.

VCaintdead17
06-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Wow. Serious offer here.

VCaintdead17
06-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Also, i think Williams playing with Nash would speed up William's development for sure. I'd be willing to bet that Williams on the Suns his rookie season would outperform Williams on the Timberwolves all the way up to his fourth or fifth year.

JPHX
06-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Get it done. D-will sets us up for now and the future.

Cracka2HI!
06-21-2011, 11:09 PM
The Wolves will end up trading the pick and making a good trade. It's just the Clippers luck. They we're looking like a lock for worst record in the league again next year and they sign Rubio and now there are all sort of rumors that could help them. Like this. I don't think Derrick Williams will be good, but he does have upside. No matter what I don't think he can help a bad team win next year. Gortat can.

MrfadeawayJB
06-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Not sure about this. I look at it like, Williams is unproven (could be star, or bust or average), but we already know that Gortat is solid. Of course Nash makes everything easy, but Rubio has good vision as well. @ #13 though, the talent does drop.

Rubio/Ridnour/ flynn
Webster/Ellington
Beasley/ Johnson /Tolliver
Love/ Randolph/ Pekovic/ Tolliver
Gortat/ Milicic

then draft a 2 guard @ 13. Klay Thompson, Alec Burks, or Marshon Brooks. Thats a solid team right there. They could even trade up by packaging #13 and flynn to assure they get Thompson (who is best imo)

Illinirob83
06-22-2011, 12:56 AM
For the #3 I would do it. I would have to grab either Williams or Irving at #2 over Gortat and a mediocre #13 selection.

llemon
06-22-2011, 01:02 AM

Gortat is younger, stronger and tougher than Pau.

Tmath
06-22-2011, 01:08 AM
I wonder what rumor they will come up with tomorrow. :rolleyes:

WSU Tony
06-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Well, the trade can't go down now. Not that it won't, it flat out can't. PHX GM said he won't trade Nash or Gortat so even if the Wolves wanted to trade #2 and Love, PHX won't trade Gortat.

It's too bad.

:laugh:

You guys actually believe what the GM's say, that's hillarious.

Chronz
06-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Now this is more realistic but even then the bargain of a deal Gortat signed is nice, although he is older than I thought, Gortat would make alot of sense on a team like Atlanta.

WSU Tony
06-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Dexter is my new favorite show. I'm starting on neftlix on season 1 and have made it up to episode 7.

Love it

Off topic? Yes.

Mplsman
06-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Dexter is my new favorite show. I'm starting on neftlix on season 1 and have made it up to episode 7.

Love it

Off topic? Yes.

Just wait until you are all caught up to season 5.

AMazing.

Chronz
06-22-2011, 01:25 PM

Love it

Off topic? Yes.

YOUR A FREAK MORGAN

That was a damn good season, the season after Ice truck killer isnt so hot, actually its very hot (thats my attempt at a pun, you'll see soon enough) it has its moments where you get hooked but overall I thought it underwhelmed unless Im not remembering the course of events, IIRC S3 and 4 add legendary actors to play the villain but after S3 I wasnt liking the direction the show was going in, S4 fixes everything, almost alittle too much but its intense. S5 was up to par with the rest, without spoiling anything Im still waiting for Deb to investigate her dads past, its like they bring that aspect up in season 2 or 3 and they inch towards it every year, hopefully this upcoming season delves deep into it.

Duncan = Donkey
06-22-2011, 08:48 PM

LOL, terrible trade for PHX. No way PHX would even consider this.

Duncan = Donkey
06-22-2011, 08:50 PM
OK, how's this trade?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3zs9ge9

Bulls: 2nd Pick & Pietrus
Suns: Thompson, Webster, and 7th Pick
Wolves: Gortat & 13th
Kings: Boozer

Thats a bit better for, I still dont like it for PHX though.