PDA

View Full Version : Which Team Had The Easiest Road To The NBA Finals

amos1er
06-20-2011, 10:57 PM
I think that the 2006-2007 Cleveland Cavaliers had the easiest Road to the NBA finals in league history. Here is why:

First Round:

Washington Wizards
Regular Season Record: 41-41
Missing their two best players: Arenas and Buttler

Second Round:

New Jersey Nets
Missing their starting center Krstic had to start Moore instead

Western Conference Finals

Detroit Pistons
Regular Season Record: 53 wins (extremely low for a one seed in fact I think its the lowest total for a one seed in league history)
Foolishly didn't resign Ben Wallace and had a ton of issues in the locker room due to issues with the coach Flip Saunders...Basically Detroit imploded on themselves.

I spite anybody to find me a team that had an easier road to the finals in NBA history.

gotoHcarolina52
06-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Somehow this is going to end up as a LeBron-bashing thread. Oh, wait . . . it already is.

D Roses Bulls
06-20-2011, 11:45 PM
I think that the 2006-2007 Cleveland Cavaliers had the easiest Road to the NBA finals in league history. Here is why:

First Round:

Washington Wizards

Second Round:

New Jersey Nets

Detroit Pistons
Regular Season Record: 53 wins (extremely low for a one seed in fact I think its the lowest total for a one seed in league history)
Foolishly didn't resign Ben Wallace and had a ton of issues in the locker room due to issues with the coach Flip Saunders...Basically Detroit imploded on themselves.

I spite anybody to find me a team that had an easier road to the finals in NBA history.

that leakage guy needs to see this because I have pointed this out again and again to him and he doesn't see it.

JordansBulls
06-20-2011, 11:53 PM

First Round:

Washington Wizards

Second Round:

New Jersey Nets

Detroit Pistons

The 1984 and 1987 Lakers and here is why

Kings: 38-44
Mavericks: 43-39
Suns: 41-41

Nuggets: 37-45
Warriors: 42-40
Sonics: 39-43

amos1er
06-21-2011, 03:16 AM

Good find....This is comparable to Lebron's path to the 2007 finals...but I would still say that lebrons was easier due to key injuries and locker room drama surrounding the opposing teams. And at least the lakers capitalized and won it in 87....Lebron just got swept out 4-0.

lebronfan93
06-21-2011, 04:04 AM
Good find....This is comparable to Lebron's path to the 2007 finals...but I would still say that lebrons was easier.....Lebron just got swept out 4-0.

No mention of the team huh? Look we've seen enough Lebron bashing threads recently, we all know you're intentions here. Nonetheless, I agree they had an easy road, everyone knows the Cavs were not a contender that year, but they got to the finals because of great performances by Lebron. They weren't supposed to beat the Pistons, I don't care how many wins Detroit had that season.

Antipod
06-21-2011, 04:08 AM
Mmmm....maybe LAL 2000-2001....15-1?(but looking that Portland had 50 W adn finished 7th.....ouch !)

NYtilIdie
06-21-2011, 04:12 AM
The Lakers last year. Every team that was considered a challenge to them was beaten in the 1st round aside from San Antonio, but they surprised everyone.

The Mavs & Nuggets lost in the 1st round. The Nuggets lost their coach and identity against the Jazz, Mavs choked against the Spurs. They beat a banged up Jazz squad, then the Suns beat the Spurs to play the Lakers in a joke of a WCF matchup that was just way too predictable.

The biggest challenge for them in the playoffs were the Thunder in the 1st round.

HouRealCoach
06-21-2011, 04:31 AM
That NJ was actually better than a 41-41 squad tho... That was an actual good year that Mikki Moore played too

knickfan33
06-21-2011, 04:32 AM
lebron stinks. end of thread.

JordansBulls
06-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Good find....This is comparable to Lebron's path to the 2007 finals...but I would still say that lebrons was easier due to key injuries and locker room drama surrounding the opposing teams. And at least the lakers capitalized and won it in 87....Lebron just got swept out 4-0.

I agree the path was easy, but they still had to get thru the #1 seed without HCA. Also it was a team that had won the title, been in the finals and the Conference finals for 3 years in a row. Granted Ben Wallace was gone though.

Chronz
06-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Anytime you face a team superior to your own, its not easy. There have been FAR easier paths to the Finals, **** if you look at the Celtics dynasty of the 60's Im sure you'll find a few. In terms of recent history there have been quite a few, AI's Sixers come to mind.

klay
06-21-2011, 01:22 PM
i don't know i think lakers here is why:

REFS REFS REFS and lakers vs ________

Gary Reasons
06-21-2011, 01:37 PM
In before close

mdm692
06-21-2011, 02:02 PM
15-1 Lakers duh

Hustlenomics
06-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Anytime you face a team superior to your own, its not easy. There have been FAR easier paths to the Finals, **** if you look at the Celtics dynasty of the 60's Im sure you'll find a few. In terms of recent history there have been quite a few, AI's Sixers come to mind.

oh yea a team of aaron mckie,eric snow,matt gieger, mutumbo were too much for their opponents

Tarheels23
06-21-2011, 02:09 PM
This year's Bulls played the 37 win Pacers and the 44 win Hawks. Neither team would have made the playoffs in the West. As a 62 win team, that is a pretty good cakewalk... But yes, they did eventually run into the Heat

amos1er
06-21-2011, 06:39 PM
That NJ was actually better than a 41-41 squad tho... That was an actual good year that Mikki Moore played too

LMAO....Mikki More he averaged 9.8 ppg and 5.1 rpg that year....not as good as the 16.4 ppg and 6.8 rpg that Krstic was giving them that year. Playing a .500 team in the second round that has their starting center out who was giving them 16 and 7 is an extremely easy second round match up.

amos1er
06-21-2011, 06:42 PM
This year's Bulls played the 37 win Pacers and the 44 win Hawks. Neither team would have made the playoffs in the West. As a 62 win team, that is a pretty good cakewalk... But yes, they did eventually run into the Heat

And the Bulls did not make it to the finals....hence the name of this thread was the easiest road to the finals....I said that the 07 Cavs had the easiest road to the finals and to find me a team that had an easier road to the finals. The key word here is made it to the finals.

amos1er
06-21-2011, 06:45 PM
No mention of the team huh? Look we've seen enough Lebron bashing threads recently, we all know you're intentions here. Nonetheless, I agree they had an easy road, everyone knows the Cavs were not a contender that year, but they got to the finals because of great performances by Lebron. They weren't supposed to beat the Pistons, I don't care how many wins Detroit had that season.

Again, you are missing the point...I said that the 07 Cavs had the easiest road to the finals and you have stated nothing to contradict the point I made. You have given no examples of other teams that could have had an easier road...The point that the Pistons had 3 more regular season wins than the Cavs is meaningless...The point is that the Pistons were a 53 win one seed and they didn't have Wallace anymore. They were washed up and that is a very easy match up for a ECF.

amos1er
06-21-2011, 06:50 PM
The Lakers last year. Every team that was considered a challenge to them was beaten in the 1st round aside from San Antonio, but they surprised everyone.

The Mavs & Nuggets lost in the 1st round. The Nuggets lost their coach and identity against the Jazz, Mavs choked against the Spurs. They beat a banged up Jazz squad, then the Suns beat the Spurs to play the Lakers in a joke of a WCF matchup that was just way too predictable.

The biggest challenge for them in the playoffs were the Thunder in the 1st round.

Not quite buddy....

Thunder 50 wins

Jazz 53 wins

Phoenix 54 wins

All of this in an extremely competitive Western conference where every team that made the playoffs had 50 + wins. Its a joke for you to compare this...The 2007 east had .500 team in the playoffs and the 2010 west had all 50 + win teams in the playoffs. FAIL!!!

blahblahyoutoo
06-21-2011, 07:05 PM
1999 knicks.

WHODAT8o8
06-21-2011, 07:09 PM

First Round:

Washington Wizards

Second Round:

New Jersey Nets

Detroit Pistons

They play in the Eastern Conference though

NYtilIdie
06-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Not quite buddy....

Thunder 50 wins

Jazz 53 wins

Phoenix 54 wins

All of this in an extremely competitive Western conference where every team that made the playoffs had 50 + wins. Its a joke for you to compare this...The 2007 east had .500 team in the playoffs and the 2010 west had all 50 + win teams in the playoffs. FAIL!!!

Tell me "buddy" did you honestly think a banged up Jazz squad (who were swept by the Lakers) and a short Suns team were actually going to beat the oversized Lakers?

Exactly! There was nothing competitive about their title run that year besides their series against the Thunder. I don't care about the W/L record that just means the West was more dominant against the East which is pretty ***kin obvious.

But all 8 of those teams stacked against the Lakers stood no chance besides the Mavs and Nuggets, both who lost in the 1st round. Like I said everything fell into place for them that year. It was a joke of a conference for them.

theheatles
06-22-2011, 12:30 AM
clear lebron bashing thread...2000s were the most competitive decade in league history...60s-80s the nba was so ridiculously top heavy

op is a butt hurt bulls fan that's sad because lebron destroyed the bulls in such a dominating fashion on both ends of the court

JordansBulls
06-22-2011, 02:24 PM
clear lebron bashing thread...2000s were the most competitive decade in league history...60s-80s the nba was so ridiculously top heavy

op is a butt hurt bulls fan that's sad because lebron destroyed the bulls in such a dominating fashion on both ends of the court

He isn't a Bulls fan, he is a Lakers fan.

Da Knicks
06-22-2011, 02:52 PM
1999 knicks.

the only cake walk was the first round matchup!:d

Chronz
06-22-2011, 04:32 PM
oh yea a team of aaron mckie,eric snow,matt gieger, mutumbo were too much for their opponents

Your sarcasm was noted, my point stands.

Why didnt you include AI into your equation? Dont you realize this is a TEAM thread?

JordansBulls
06-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Tell me "buddy" did you honestly think a banged up Jazz squad (who were swept by the Lakers) and a short Suns team were actually going to beat the oversized Lakers?

Exactly! There was nothing competitive about their title run that year besides their series against the Thunder. I don't care about the W/L record that just means the West was more dominant against the East which is pretty ***kin obvious.

But all 8 of those teams stacked against the Lakers stood no chance besides the Mavs and Nuggets, both who lost in the 1st round. Like I said everything fell into place for them that year. It was a joke of a conference for them.

Totally agree with this. In the Semifinals and Conference Finals LA got the best possible teams to face.

mdm692
06-22-2011, 04:51 PM

the suns were 1 rebound away from going up 3-2 on the lakers you clearly didnt see the series at all goran dragic was single handedly raping the whole lakers defense. . .in the end it wasnt size it was kobe AIR BALLING a shot that got them into the finals you make it seem as if the suns never stood a chance and got swept. . .by the way

Lamar odom 6-10
Paul gasol 7-0
Andrew bynum 7-0

amare stoudamire 6-10
Channing frye 6-11
Robin lopez 7-0

Its not like we were that small or had dejuan blair as our center

Kevj77
06-22-2011, 06:59 PM
15-1 Lakers duhThey swept the 50 win Blazers in the first round. Swept a 55 win Kings team that was stacked in the second round. Then swept the Spurs that won 58 games without home court advantage. Lakers were just dominant that year it wasn't an easy path they made it look easy.

D Roses Bulls
06-22-2011, 07:52 PM

gotta agree with you. I mean I don't know if it was chronz I had this argument with or someone else, but someone tried saying that team was real good too. like seriously???? I guess they didn't watch the NBA then. it was like watching a 5 on 1 or something. the lakers vs. AI

bootleg42
06-22-2011, 08:17 PM
The 1996 Bulls............heck the whole damn season was an easy road for them.

Chronz
06-22-2011, 08:18 PM
gotta agree with you. I mean I don't know if it was chronz I had this argument with or someone else, but someone tried saying that team was real good too. like seriously???? I guess they didn't watch the NBA then. it was like watching a 5 on 1 or something. the lakers vs. AI

LOL @ your inability to read

THREAD TITLE: WHICH TEAM HAD THE EASIEST ROAD TO THE FINALS

The Lakers have NOTHING to do with their run TO THE FINALS.

Chronz
06-22-2011, 08:21 PM
The 1996 Bulls............heck the whole damn season was an easy road for them.
This is actually a decent example, the Heat were a joke, I dont even know who they played 2nd, and I remember the Magic not being100%,

D Roses Bulls
06-23-2011, 12:33 AM
LOL @ your inability to read

THREAD TITLE: WHICH TEAM HAD THE EASIEST ROAD TO THE FINALS

The Lakers have NOTHING to do with their run TO THE FINALS.

my ability to read? you do know I was making fun of you for saying the sixers were good that year. :rolleyes: oh mr hollinger.......

NYtilIdie
06-23-2011, 12:37 AM
the suns were 1 rebound away from going up 3-2 on the lakers you clearly didnt see the series at all goran dragic was single handedly raping the whole lakers defense. . .in the end it wasnt size it was kobe AIR BALLING a shot that got them into the finals you make it seem as if the suns never stood a chance and got swept. . .by the way

Lamar odom 6-10
Paul gasol 7-0
Andrew bynum 7-0

amare stoudamire 6-10
Channing frye 6-11
Robin lopez 7-0

Its not like we were that small or had dejuan blair as our center

Yes, I watched the entire series when J-Rich refused to box out Artest and he got the GW-tip in. The Suns never did stand a chance, it was obvious they were going to lose. Dragic had a good Game 6, but that was it.

What are you saying here? Kobe's air ball is why they went to the Finals?

Also, PHX's big men are a bunch of SF's at heart. Amare couldn't do a damn thing against Pau or Bynum and didn't rebound at all after Game 1 he was useless, Frye spent majority of the time behind the 3pt line, but was surprisingly their best rebounder that game and Lopez didn't get enough minutes to make a major impact against the Lakers. Even after he had a great Game 1 his minutes decreased with each game.

cle12152433
06-23-2011, 12:44 AM
It shouldn't really matter what the regular season records of those teams are. What should matter is how the team that made the finals did against the competition while in the playoffs.

Just because a team made the finals by playing teams that didn't perform so well in the regular season, doesn't mean that it was easy for them to get past them to get to the finals. Look at the Heat. Against Boston, Chicago, and Dallas in the regular season, they were 0-8. In the playoffs, they were 10-6.

The playoffs are a different game.

D Roses Bulls
06-23-2011, 12:57 AM
It shouldn't really matter what the regular season records of those teams are. What should matter is how the team that made the finals did against the competition while in the playoffs.

Just because a team made the finals by playing teams that didn't perform so well in the regular season, doesn't mean that it was easy for them to get past them to get to the finals. Look at the Heat. Against Boston, Chicago, and Dallas in the regular season, they were 0-8. In the playoffs, they were 10-6.

The playoffs are a different game.

it's not just that. look at the east that year or pretty much any year after 98 it was pretty bad up until 2007-2008 pretty much and until this.

Chronz
06-23-2011, 01:10 AM
my ability to read? you do know I was making fun of you for saying the sixers were good that year. :rolleyes: oh mr hollinger.......

Re-read the post, you'll see why your attempt failed mr hollinger

D Roses Bulls
06-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Re-read the post, you'll see why your attempt failed mr hollinger

I know what the post said and what the thread is about. the point was, i was still making fun of you saying the sixers were good that year and how are you gonna call me mr. hollinger after i already called you that. that's like me callin you a poopy head and you callin me one right back and plus we all know you are related to hollinger :0

S-Dot
06-23-2011, 09:54 AM

I agree. Don't let records fool you. The 1999 Knicks and 2010 Boston Celtics proved that.

naps
06-24-2011, 10:25 AM

It wasn't about winning the title, you asked the easiest PATH to the finals.
Now that your lakers had easier roads to the finals twice, you are pissed and mentioning lakers won it all. But the thread is about the ROAD to finals. You need to stfu and gtfo.

amos1er
06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Totally agree with this. In the Semifinals and Conference Finals LA got the best possible teams to face.

Yes, the Lakers did face the best possible teams that year, but that is not relevant. In no way does that compare to the easy road the Cavs had in 2007. The 2007 Cavs would not have been able to beat the 2010 Thunder, Jazz, and Suns to get to the finals. The eastern conference was a cake walk that year.

Chronz
06-24-2011, 03:24 PM
I know what the post said and what the thread is about.
You obviously dont or else you would see the folly of your ways.

the point was, i was still making fun of you saying the sixers were good that year
WRONG, I never said the Sixers were good, again this miscalculation is due to your inability to grasp the subject. I said the Sixers had the EASIEST path TO THE FINALS. They were better than the feeble competition they faced. In comparison to the Cavs, they never faced a team that had won more games than itself.

and how are you gonna call me mr. hollinger after i already called you that. that's like me callin you a poopy head and you callin me one right back and plus we all know you are related to hollinger :0
Thats pretty much my point, your showing your age. These kind of remarks arent worthy of a thought out response, its the kind of meaningless drivel that exposes your lack of insight to the topic at hand.

amos1er
06-24-2011, 03:58 PM
It wasn't about winning the title, you asked the easiest PATH to the finals.
Now that your lakers had easier roads to the finals twice, you are pissed and mentioning lakers won it all. But the thread is about the ROAD to finals. You need to stfu and gtfo.

The high school that you graduated from needs to be closed permanently because your math skills are waaaay off. :facepalm:

In 2010 the Lakers face all 50 + win teams in the Western Conference...in fact, every single team in the western conference that made the playoffs had 50 + wins...Can't say the same for the East.

In 2007 the Cavs faced the Wizards and the Nets in the first two rounds....both had 41 wins...PATHETIC! 41 wins doesn't get you to the playoffs in the west...it sends you fishing. The Cavs faced the Pistons in the ECF...the Pistons had 53 wins that year...PATHETIC for a 1 seed. in the West, 53 wins makes you a five seed maybe....

Factor that in with all the key injuries that the teams that the Cavs faced had and its no doubt that the 2007 Cavs had the easiest road to the finals.

Ask you self this my friend...would the 2007 Cavs be able to make it through the 2010 western conference?....Not a chance buddy....if you disagree with that then there is no hope for your Lebron homerism.

Chronz
06-24-2011, 06:05 PM
The high school that you graduated from needs to be closed permanently because your math skills are waaaay off. :facepalm:

In 2010 the Lakers face all 50 + win teams in the Western Conference...in fact, every single team in the western conference that made the playoffs had 50 + wins...Can't say the same for the East.

In 2007 the Cavs faced the Wizards and the Nets in the first two rounds....both had 41 wins...PATHETIC! 41 wins doesn't get you to the playoffs in the west...it sends you fishing. The Cavs faced the Pistons in the ECF...the Pistons had 53 wins that year...PATHETIC for a 1 seed. in the West, 53 wins makes you a five seed maybe....

Factor that in with all the key injuries that the teams that the Cavs faced had and its no doubt that the 2007 Cavs had the easiest road to the finals.

Ask you self this my friend...would the 2007 Cavs be able to make it through the 2010 western conference?....Not a chance buddy....if you disagree with that then there is no hope for your Lebron homerism.
Why do you insist on picking apart feeble arguments to bolster your claim, yet completely ignore valid points being made? You cant say the bold with such conviction and such little backing.

amos1er
06-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Why do you insist on picking apart feeble arguments to bolster your claim, yet completely ignore valid points being made? You cant say the bold with such conviction and such little backing.

lol. You're right his was a feeble argument. I haven't seen anyone give me a good argument yet. Here are the facts:

First Round:

Washington Wizards

Second Round:

New Jersey Nets

Eastern Conference Finals

Detroit Pistons

I have never seen an easier road, if there was one I challenge someone to map it out for me like I have done. I think that the 2007 eastern conference was the weakest in NBA history. Besides that, the amount of injuries and off court issues that plagued the opposing teams were just unheard of. The only quality team the Cavs faced were the Spurs and then they got swept.

sventhedog
06-24-2011, 07:55 PM
any eastern team. i think sixers iverson reaching the finals is overrated since they were in the east.

i know the east have gotten stronger and how the media keep saying that there is "shifting of power to the east." the west is still better.

Chronz
06-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Here are the facts:
Eastern Conference Finals

Detroit Pistons

I have never seen an easier road, if there was one I challenge someone to map it out for me like I have done. I think that the 2007 eastern conference was the weakest in NBA history. Besides that, the amount of injuries and off court issues that plagued the opposing teams were just unheard of. The only quality team the Cavs faced were the Spurs and then they got swept.
You can dismiss the Pistons as inferior for a 1 seed but they were still a superior team to the Cavs, the only reason they got passed them was due to Bron closing out a key game like few ever have, having a great series overall and due to Boobie having that flukish game 6.

Plenty of posters have laid it out. JB listed a much easier road to the Finals, in terms of recent history I mentioned Philly when the 2nd best team in the east was the worst defensive team in the league. In terms of HISTORICAL accuracy then what about the years when the league had no true power and everyone pretty close is that an easy rode because the teams arent that imposing in terms of W/L's or is it a harder run due to the fact that all the teams are so comparable?

What about the late 50's early 60's when Russell's Celtics made the Finals by defeating a single sub.500 team? 07 was definitely not the weakest the East has ever been.

KnicksR4Real
06-24-2011, 08:35 PM

we have a winner:clap:

Hawkeye15
06-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Intention of the OP?

amos1er
06-24-2011, 11:00 PM
You can dismiss the Pistons as inferior for a 1 seed but they were still a superior team to the Cavs, the only reason they got passed them was due to Bron closing out a key game like few ever have, having a great series overall and due to Boobie having that flukish game 6.

Plenty of posters have laid it out. JB listed a much easier road to the Finals, in terms of recent history I mentioned Philly when the 2nd best team in the east was the worst defensive team in the league. In terms of HISTORICAL accuracy then what about the years when the league had no true power and everyone pretty close is that an easy rode because the teams arent that imposing in terms of W/L's or is it a harder run due to the fact that all the teams are so comparable?

What about the late 50's early 60's when Russell's Celtics made the Finals by defeating a single sub.500 team? 07 was definitely not the weakest the East has ever been.

Point proven...I will concede my point that the 2007 Cavs had the easiest road to the finals. Rather I would correct my original statement and now say that the 2007 Cavs had the easiest road to the finals in the modern era (past 20 years). That should be true enough...unless someone here can prove me wrong.

tyfreaks brotha
06-24-2011, 11:40 PM
lebron stinks. end of thread.

Lol other teams bashing star players when they had how many crappy seasons?? Thought so bra

Chronz
06-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Point proven...I will concede my point that the 2007 Cavs had the easiest road to the finals. Rather I would correct my original statement and now say that the 2007 Cavs had the easiest road to the finals in the modern era (past 20 years). That should be true enough...unless someone here can prove me wrong.

Prove jb wrong cuz he laid it out perfectly

greenbaythunder
06-25-2011, 07:36 AM
How about the 03 nets?

Played a buck team who had traded away ray for gary p
Then a boston team who 2nd best player was a walker also pierce passed it to the nets more then hedid to his teammates
And a det team before rasheed came

JordansBulls
06-25-2011, 08:29 AM
How about the 03 nets?

Played a buck team who had traded away ray for gary p
Then a boston team who 2nd best player was a walker also pierce passed it to the nets more then hedid to his teammates
And a det team before rasheed came
What were the records of the team they played?

greenbaythunder
06-26-2011, 02:49 PM
^^ Bucks 42-40
Celtics 44-38
Pistons (1 seed) 50-32

24/7
06-27-2011, 12:56 AM
87 lakers had an easier run than the 07 cavs, sorry bud, do ur homework.

JordansBulls
06-27-2011, 12:43 PM
87 lakers had an easier run than the 07 cavs, sorry bud, do ur homework.

Yep, those teams didn't even come close to the talent or record.

KaganRS
06-27-2011, 01:15 PM

Detroit Pistons

I was wondering why you thought that was foolish ? He took more money than Detroit was offering and declined heavily every subsequent year to become an albatross contract.

But I agree they did implode - Rasheed's game 6 ejection being the climax.

NugzHeat3
06-27-2011, 03:04 PM
The 2007 Cavs led by the most overrated player ever, LeQueer Shames. An utter disgrace to the Heat and the NBA.

JordansBulls
06-27-2011, 08:05 PM
The 2007 Cavs led by the most overrated player ever, LeQueer Shames. An utter disgrace to the Heat and the NBA.

:speechless:

CowboysKB24
06-27-2011, 11:52 PM
No road is ever easy to the finals. It doesn't matter anyway because it is uncontrollable.