PDA

View Full Version : Rubio visits Minnesota

asandhu23
06-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Ricky Rubio is coming. Ricky Rubio is coming! RICKY RUBIO IS COMING!!

Actually, Rubio -- the charismatic, scrawny, mop-haired point guard from Spain -- might already be here by the time you read this. He was scheduled to land in the Twin Cities from Barcelona early Monday afternoon, with photographers and reporters tipped off to his exact arrival coordinates for some excited "Beatles hit America" coverage. Only this time, Ricky is the cute one, the smart one, the serious one and the funny one, all rolled into one intriguing, unproven point-guard package.

With Rubio officially signing his Timberwolves rookie contract last week -- two years after the team selected him at No. 5 in the 2009 NBA Draft -- a case can be made that Minnesota's 2011 Draft already is a huge success. The tease of having Rubio in Spain rather than in Minneapolis -- playing but apparently developing little for Regal FC Barcelona, while occasionally dropping what seemed like hints that he never would go through a Minnesota winter -- was a source of frustration for the Wolves.

It was a taunt to their fans, too, the latest in a line of Draft and personnel disasters stretching back to the franchise's roots, across three or four front-office administrations, right into current basketball boss David Kahn's regime. The timeline truly is too long and cluttered to recite here; suffice it to say that "Timberwolves Draft" has become a shorthanded punch line in Minnesota, no set-up of the joke necessary. Sort of like saying "Governor Ventura."

That explained some of the giddiness over Rubio's signing and, presumably, commitment to the Wolves for several years. He was, after all, a top prospect coming off his performance for Spain's national team in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. He drew comparisons to late NBA great "Pistol" Pete Maravich, not for his shooting or scoring but for his court vision, his passing, his pace and, of course, his look.

Rubio, though, dropped into Minnesota's lap on Draft night two years ago when Hasheem Thabeet, James Harden and Tyreke Evans all nudged ahead of him in the second, third and fourth slots. Thus the Wolves, already high on Syracuse's Jonny Flynn and holding both the fifth and sixth picks, almost impulsively grabbed two point guards. One (Rubio) on potential and buzz, the other (Flynn) on track record and immediacy.

It has not gone well. While Rubio stayed in Spain, Flynn struggled in his first year in fellow rookie coach Kurt Rambis' triangle-influenced offense. He underwent hip surgery that cut into last season and basically became an affable backup to veteran Luke Ridnour. Minnesota, meanwhile, is a jaw-dropping 100 games below .500 -- 32-132 -- since that night.

What do they have to show for it? Besides drooping attendance and creeping apathy from NBA fans in the market, that is? Well, the Wolves have power forward Kevin Love as the league's most relentless rebounding machine, with an All-Star game and personality. They have some enigmatic frontcourt talents (Michael Beasley, Anthony Randolph) and a stake in current Darko Milicic wisecracks. They have dysfunction at the top, with Kahn and the job-imperiled Rambis basically locked in a staredown until they broke down last week for some conversation.

The Wolves have a handful of role players who would be two, three or four spots down in a good team's rotation (maybe off the roster entirely). They have Wesley Johnson, a smooth forward picked at No. 4 in last year's Draft, who averaged 9.0 points (sixth among rookies) while shooting 39.7 percent. And they have the No. 2 pick in this year's Draft, the highest in Timberwolves history and another chance to inject needless drama into the night's proceedings in Newark.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/steve_aschburner/06/20/rubio-twolves/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

:clap:

MrfadeawayJB
06-20-2011, 09:16 PM
I want to see this kid play, until that i really dont care

Hellcrooner
06-20-2011, 09:34 PM
they are putting too many attention /hype and PRESSURE on him right away.

He is not going to be an inmediate impact thing , remeber Nash struggled for YEARs before becoming nash, Kidd didnt really impress anybody until the 3rd season or so.

and rubio is YOUNGEr than they were.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2011, 09:36 PM

He is not going to be an inmediate impact thing , remeber Nash struggled for YEARs before becoming nash, Kidd didnt really impress anybody until the 3rd season or so.

nah, they are not putting pressure on him, they are simply cashing in on a player/scenario that will help ticket sales. Kahn has said outright that they don't want to put a lot of pressure on Rubio to begin with, and will let him develop.

Hellcrooner
06-20-2011, 09:50 PM
nah, they are not putting pressure on him, they are simply cashing in on a player/scenario that will help ticket sales. Kahn has said outright that they don't want to put a lot of pressure on Rubio to begin with, and will let him develop.

not tlaking bout the team.

talking bout media and average xenophobe fan.

its going to be tough if espn is highliting you as a bust day after day from day 1 with many supposed experts ripping of you too, and then millions of moronic xenophobes pplaying along with the manipulation and putting you down from day -1 ( they have been already sputting **** since before he was drafted).

Im not sure MICHAEL JORDAN and his tough mind would have been able to handle that.

Specially when even if you do your BEST SCENARIO like a 12 ppg, 12 apg, 5 rpg, 2 spg 50% shooting and 30 more wins for the team season it will still not be enough to shut up all the morons, because morons nowdays only care bout SCORING stats.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2011, 09:53 PM
not tlaking bout the team.

its going to be tough if espn is highliting you as a bust day after day from day 1 with many supposed experts ripping of you too, and then millions of moronic xenophobes pplaying along with the manipulation and putting you down from day -1 ( they have been already sputting **** since before he was drafted).

Im not sure MICHAEL JORDAN and his tough mind would have been able to handle that.

Specially when even if you do your BEST SCENARIO like a 12 ppg, 12 apg, 5 rpg, 2 spg 50% shooting and 30 more wins for the team season it will still not be enough to shut up all the morons, because morons nowdays only care bout SCORING stats.

you would find it interesting how playing for a small market team can keep you isolated from the mainstream media if you choose to go that way man. Rubio will not be given savior expectations from the Wolves, nor the local media. He will be fine

THE GIPPER
06-20-2011, 09:53 PM
rrrrrrrriickkkaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy rrrrrrrrruuubbbiiiioooooooo

Hellcrooner
06-20-2011, 09:56 PM
you would find it interesting how playing for a small market team can keep you isolated from the mainstream media if you choose to go that way man. Rubio will not be given savior expectations from the Wolves, nor the local media. He will be fine

Cavs stopped being a small market media wise the same day the signed lebron.

well thats the kind of hype they are putting on rubio now.

jimbobjarree
06-20-2011, 09:58 PM

you trying to say that the average nba fan is xenophobic?

KnicksR4Real
06-20-2011, 10:04 PM
watch him be a huge bust hahahha

TomTerrific
06-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Rrruuuubbbbiiioooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Walls Era
06-20-2011, 10:34 PM

You're telling me hes not even gonna be as good as Jose Calderon in his first year? Jose had a very good rookie season.

Hellcrooner
06-20-2011, 10:35 PM
You're telling me hes not even gonna be as good as Jose Calderon in his first year? Jose had a very good rookie season.

no he didnt.

Hellcrooner
06-20-2011, 10:35 PM
you trying to say that the average nba fan is xenophobic?

no, saying that the average xenophobe fan ( wich is only a fraction of the total fans) will be / is already hating on him.

Hawkeye15
06-20-2011, 10:41 PM

dude, there is no way on earth Rubio is getting the same hype/pressure LeBron got. None.

Stop it. I doubt he reads PSD, and the numerous sites that will jump on him the second he makes a mistake. He will be brought into a team that will let him develop, with a local fanbase/media that will do the same

Chill Crooner. Its as if you are laying the foundation for defending his failures.

Sadds The Gr8
06-20-2011, 10:45 PM

not really...

FriedTofuz
06-20-2011, 10:51 PM

Rubio caused the pressure on himself. He could have played and got nba playing time and would have improved. I just hope hes the next steve nash with better defense, the timberwolves have been a lottery team for some time now.

Hellcrooner
06-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Rubio caused the pressure on himself. He could have played and got nba playing time and would have improved. I just hope hes the next steve nash with better defense, the timberwolves have been a lottery team for some time now.
then you are up for nan upset.

he is not that kind, not maravichs kind.

If he becomes the best Rubio he can be, he will be a KIDD, or a Payton.

MrfadeawayJB
06-20-2011, 11:17 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Rubio is no where near the hype LeBron got. People are not talking about Rubio being the next big thing. He is pretty pedestrian over in spain right now, so when he comes to the the NBA people expect him to do what they expect from whatever top 5 pick. Not unreasonable expectations like your stating.

Ezio
06-20-2011, 11:17 PM
I want to see him play. Will catch a few wolves game next season that's for sure.

Gambeezy
06-20-2011, 11:37 PM
I think it's funny that he visited during the Summer. If he would have stepped off that plane during the horrible winters he may have signed an extension in Barcelona.

John Walls Era
06-21-2011, 02:17 AM
no he didnt.

No your right he didn't stats wise. But he still made good plays for them and had some decent near triple double games.

GreekFreak
06-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Rubio same hype as Lebron? That is crazy, Lebron was the savior for the Cavs, was a hometown kid, and labeled as the next Jordan coming straight out of high school. Lebron was also a sure fire star.

WSU Tony
06-21-2011, 09:57 AM
The funny part? Rubio will be held to the same standards as Lebron.

Sly Guy
06-21-2011, 09:58 AM
I want to see this kid play, until that i really dont care

this. Too.Much.Hype. Just play.

twin4life
06-21-2011, 10:16 AM

I love this Knick fans are like "trade him to us he wants to play east coast"

Timberwolves "Na he will come over when hes ready"

Knick fans "HE WILL NOT PLAY FOR YOU"

Timberwolves "We will wait it out"

Knick fans "Yall are dumb"

2 years later

Knick fans "HE IS GOING TO BE A BUST!!"

haha seems like someone is getting JEALOUS!!

twin4life
06-21-2011, 10:18 AM
I think it's funny that he visited during the Summer. If he would have stepped off that plane during the horrible winters he may have signed an extension in Barcelona.

Minnesota winters arnt that bad.. maybe for a panzi they would be.. HA Florida.. Id rather live here in the snow :cool:

PurpleJesus
06-21-2011, 10:30 AM

2 years later

yeah, it is funny that two years ago, a lot of NY fans were obsessed with him...then when it started to become apparent that he would be signing with the wolves, a lot of them now think he will be a bust...they are still obsessed with him, just not in the way they used to be. If you look at most rubio threads in the main forum, it is primarily wolves and NY fans.

PurpleJesus
06-21-2011, 10:34 AM

well, he was already signed before he visited, so it is a mute point...but even if it werent, I can see a conversation going something like this...

Rubio steps off a plain "burrr es muy freo," Kahns responds by saying "yeah, can you put up with it for half a winter for $4 mill?"..Rubio "Si."

Do people realize that half of a teams games are played on the road?

Mplsman
06-21-2011, 10:41 AM
well, he was already signed before he visited, so it is a mute point...but even if it werent, I can see a conversation going something like this...

Rubio steps off a plain "burrr es muy freo," Kahns responds by saying "yeah, can you put up with it for half a winter for $4 mill?"..Rubio "Si."

Do people realize that half of a teams games are played on the road?

:laugh2: classic.

king4day
06-21-2011, 10:43 AM
He needs to grow up, learn english, and learn to take the next step. As long as he doesn't come here thinking he's a superstar, he'll be fine. Otherwise, he's going to be in for a rude awakening.

VikesTwinsWolve
06-21-2011, 10:45 AM

2 years later

Spot on here. It's just too bad most ny fans on here ruin it for the few good true ny fans. Mostly because they are spoiled little rich kids that need an advantage to win. Now they all say Rubio is a bust...Book it....I can't wait for the new cap and cba to break up your dreams of a big 3. :clap: As far as the comparison of Rubio and Lebron. Lebron made 100 million off of Nike before he ever stepped onto the hardwood. Big diffrence..

Hawkeye15
06-21-2011, 10:55 AM
He needs to grow up, learn english, and learn to take the next step. As long as he doesn't come here thinking he's a superstar, he'll be fine. Otherwise, he's going to be in for a rude awakening.

He comes off as extremely humble, which is a good sign. I think this year, and his individual regression, may actually help him in the long run.

He got off a 10 hour plane ride, and hit the gym last night

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/feature_Timberwolvescom_First_Look_Ricky_Rubio_201 1_06_21.html

Good sign right off the bat.

THE GIPPER
06-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Im excited to see him play and i hope he and love become a great duo for year to come. Not so sure about beasley though im still not sold on him or flynn but minny could be a team to watch out for in the future for sure especially since derrick williams is probably headed to minny.

Ray_R
06-21-2011, 11:48 AM
I wonder if he still has his mom cut his steak.

Either way I don't think has much hype/pressure in the states. Maybe there is a lot of hype over in Spain by the way Hellcrooner is thinking.

AI4MVP
06-21-2011, 11:49 AM
lol @ everyone

Punk
06-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Lol I know PSD is full of crap now. How the hell are they hyping him too much? He goes into the gym and shows work ethic. What's wrong with that?

He's showing he means business. That's how stars and leaders are born. I'm sure PSD must have talked a ton of **** about Manu too.

Can all of the Knicks fans shut up and stop with the "Watch him be a bust" crap? It's ignorant as hell. Gallinari would be protected more than the President if he was attacked with "bust" comments.

Rubio is an intriguing talent and considering Minnesota hasn't had any sort of franchise guy to build around or even hype, they will easily make this a big deal and rightfully so.

People just have no lives anymore. If you don't like him, don't comment in threads about him. It's that simple. You only make yourself look like a ******* if he turns into a real stud.

WSU Tony
06-21-2011, 12:42 PM
:clap:

Hellcrooner
06-21-2011, 12:59 PM
He comes off as extremely humble, which is a good sign. I think this year, and his individual regression, may actually help him in the long run.

He got off a 10 hour plane ride, and hit the gym last night

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/feature_Timberwolvescom_First_Look_Ricky_Rubio_201 1_06_21.html

Good sign right off the bat.

if kobe did that we would already have 5 trheads on nba forum ans 10 on lakers forum bout how much a warrior and how great and unbeatable a work ethic kobe has.

WolvesJagsOs
06-21-2011, 02:38 PM

This exactly. Kahn said that they didnt want to throw him into the fire, like hawkeye said, just trying to up ticket sales, cant really argue with what there doing.

WolvesJagsOs
06-21-2011, 02:40 PM

A knicks fan hating on Rubio? Thats a surprise.

WolvesJagsOs
06-21-2011, 02:42 PM

lol, how did he bring the pressure on himself? He couldnt be bought out really until this year, at Rubio's presser Kahn talked about that, its was too complicated to buy him out when he was drafted, Kahn knew he had to stay a year.

Sly Guy
06-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Lol I know PSD is full of crap now. How the hell are they hyping him too much? He goes into the gym and shows work ethic. What's wrong with that?

He's showing he means business. That's how stars and leaders are born. I'm sure 1. PSD must have talked a ton of **** about Manu too.

Can all of the Knicks fans shut up and stop with the "Watch him be a bust" crap? It's ignorant as hell. Gallinari would be protected more than the President if he was attacked with "bust" comments.

Rubio is an intriguing talent and considering Minnesota hasn't had any sort of franchise guy to build around or even hype, they will easily make this a big deal and rightfully so.

2. People just have no lives anymore. If you don't like him, don't comment in threads about him. It's that simple. You only make yourself look like a ******* if he turns into a real stud.

1. Manu wasn't drafted in the first round. Manu was drafted close to the end of the second round and was a surprise of the draft. No one could call him a bust because nothing was expected of him. Try again for a better comparison.

2. So people's opinions are only valid if they are positive? Just because they disagree does not make them any less worthy of consideration. That's what we're on here for, to discuss and broaden the depth of our collective basketball wisdom. You'd be wise to keep your ears open a little bit, you might learn something.

WolvesJagsOs
06-21-2011, 02:45 PM

He talked about that, this is being overblown. He said his house will be heated, and he already got a big winter jacket lol. I dont get why people always talk about Minny being cold, what about New York? Is it warm there in the winter? Boston?

DMasta718
06-21-2011, 02:45 PM
I, for one, can't wait to see him play. Definitely will catch some Twolves games to see him play.

And Rubio didn't put the pressure on himself.

WolvesJagsOs
06-21-2011, 02:46 PM

He also talked about this in his presser. He isnt thinking he will come in and be a superstar, he just wants to come in and get thsi team to win, he doesnt care about stats, he cares about winning. And thats what he has done in his career.