PDA

View Full Version : Dwane Casey new Raptors head coach

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-20-2011, 06:50 PM
The Toronto Raptors have reached an agreement in principle to hire Dallas Mavericks assistant Dwane Casey as their new coach, according to sources close to the situation.

Casey's hiring has not been formally announced by the Raptors but, barring an unforeseen snag, Toronto's selection of Rick Carlisle's trusted assistant is expected to be finalized before the NBA draft Thursday night.

Sources told ESPN.com that Casey was already in New York on Monday observing the Raptors' private pre-draft workout of lottery hopeful Bismack Biyombo.

ESPNDallas.com reported Thursday that Casey had emerged as the clear favorite to land the Raptors' job this week. Toronto narrowed its search for a successor to Jay Triano down to the former Minnesota Timberwolves coach and Boston Celtics assistant coach Lawrence Frank but zeroed in on Casey shortly after the NBA Finals. The Raptors were drawn largely to Casey's success as the defensive coordinator for a Mavericks team that just won the first championship in franchise history.

Casey's reputation as a defensive guru undoubtedly appeals to the Raptors after they finished 30th in the league in defensive efficiency last season, allowing 110 points per 100 possessions. The Mavericks finished seventh in the same category (102.3 points per 100 possessions) and further shed their reputation as defensive pushovers in the playoffs with successful schemes against the likes of Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and, most notably, LeBron James.

Casey, 54, has been waiting for a second shot at a top job since being dismissed by the Timberwolves with a record of 20-20 during the 2006-07 season. He narrowly missed out on coaching jobs last summer with the Atlanta Hawks and Los Angeles Clippers and was a co-finalist with Frank this spring for the jobs in Houston and Golden State that went to Kevin McHale and Mark Jackson, respectively.

Frank was 225-241 in parts of seven seasons coaching the Nets before joining Doc Rivers' staff in Boston this past season, replacing Chicago Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau. Frank interviewed with the Detroit Pistons on Wednesday and is a finalist for that job as well along with former Hawks coach Mike Woodson and Milwaukee Bucks assistant coach Kelvin Sampson.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6684112

gwrighter
06-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Good sign, hopefully his experience in hiding Dirk on defence will help in hiding Bargnani.

blastmasta26
06-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Good to see the Raptors are emphasizing defense, wish my Knicks would do the same.

Kobe4Life
06-20-2011, 07:41 PM
It is unfortunate that these low market teams have to switch out coaches every year or two hoping to get a needle in a hay stack. The technique seems somewhat clear get an assistant coach that just won a ring and hope he has the same type of skills/knowledge the head coach had to get them there. Just doesn't seem that smart but then again they can't afford high profile coaches so I can't really blame them. Good Luck Casey.

blastmasta26
06-20-2011, 07:43 PM
It is unfortunate that these low market teams have to switch out coaches every year or two hoping to get a needle in a hay stack. The technique seems somewhat clear get an assistant coach that just won a ring and hope he has the same type of skills/knowledge the head coach had to get them there. Just doesn't seem that smart but then again they can't afford high profile coaches so I can't really blame them. Good Luck Casey.
Well Thibodeau worked out great for Chicago, so I expect this trend to continue.

ramz.n
06-20-2011, 07:47 PM

high profile coaches?..is there even any available..look at the lakers for example.. brown who has successes in the regular season but has nothing to show for it in the playoffs...similar to this years draft class the selection is weak..so why not go for a guy who was just a part of a championship team

mjt20mik
06-20-2011, 07:47 PM

Lol. Toronto has been a Top 10 team in revenue and attendance the last couple of years (with attendance a little off this year). I wouldn't call them a small market team by any means.

Geargo Wallace
06-20-2011, 07:56 PM

uncleben989
06-20-2011, 08:19 PM

yup, toronto is definitely a small market team,
and coach brown is definitely a smart hire for the lakers,
and pau gasol has the toughness of a spanish bull,

AnalyzeNShoot
06-20-2011, 08:37 PM
i am from t.dot. this is good news he can help guys like bargs, ed davis, and amir on their defensive game. and god for bid carlderon pick up a dictionary and learn wat defense mean!

Kobe4Life
06-20-2011, 08:42 PM

I didn't mean my statements a personal insult to the Raptors. I apologize Toronto is a larger market then I thought.

3Blueforyou
06-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I didn't mean my statements a personal insult to the Raptors just what I have been seeing over the passed few years. Last time I checked the Raptors are a small market team your best player is Bargnani.

Lol cause the talent on your team determines the size of your market.

GiantsSwaGG
06-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Wonder how Saddler The Gr8 about the hire?

Sadds The Gr8
06-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Wonder how Saddler The Gr8 about the hire?

I like it. Raptors fans have been crying for a defensive coach for years, so i can't see why people would be mad over this hire.

GiantsSwaGG
06-20-2011, 09:04 PM
I like it. Raptors fans have been crying for a defensive coach for years, so i can't see why people would be mad over this hire.

True and the Raptors have the players to make some noise, if you can find a way to trade Calderon and sign a decent player then I can see you guys making the playoffs!

KnicksR4Real
06-20-2011, 09:05 PM
im not a fan of this

assisi805
06-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Lets hope a step towards a brighter future, being canadian I love being a raps fan but its getting harder to admit that haha.

LTBaByyy
06-20-2011, 09:16 PM
The Defensive Guru for the Dallas Mavs!!!!! :clap:

He was the creator of the matchup zone that killed a lot of teams and all our schemes

You deserved it, now our defense is gonna suck, we need to get a good replacement

Props to Tyson Chandler but he deserves credit also

The_905
06-20-2011, 09:17 PM
I didn't mean my statements a personal insult to the Raptors. I apologize Toronto is a larger market then I thought.

If you don't know what you are talking about then why make such a bold comment?

The Raptors have one of the wealthiest owners (MLSE) in the league and could EASILY spend as much as it would take to sign your supposed "high profile" coaches, problem is name one that is available?

BALLER R
06-20-2011, 09:18 PM

lol im from toronto and i wasn't insulted but i get the point you were trying to say

Hawkeye15
06-20-2011, 09:21 PM
great hire for the Raps. He was the Wolves coach a bit before he was ready, but still did a great job of preparation and in game adjustments. He is ready now, and will be a great asset to the Raps organization

jakedajewler
06-20-2011, 09:27 PM

no big deal people say it all the time, The U.S. is bigger the Canada so people automatically think small

CityofTreez
06-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Good luck Raptors, bringing in new coaches is always uneasy, but Casey is a defensive coach and can make some good moves up North!

Want to see how he improves Bargnani's defensive game, if that is possible.

gatkins11
06-20-2011, 09:55 PM
I'm very happy for Coach Casey. Good for him and I hope he succeeds in Toronto.

JasonJohnHorn
06-20-2011, 10:00 PM
I think I missed the memo on Triano getting fired?

FriedTofuz
06-20-2011, 10:03 PM

Theres no need to be sarcastic and to insult another team. Someone was just uneducated about the toronto raptors market. I agree with you, toronto is definatly a top nba market because of the amount of revenue they make.

Lol cause the talent on your team determines the size of your market.

Thats what people think, but theyre wrong. As of late, thats how many have been thinking.

Good luck Raptors, bringing in new coaches is always uneasy, but Casey is a defensive coach and can make some good moves up North!

A good defensive system is just the start. It just might hide bargnanis poor defense. The mavs sucess is not only caused because of casey, but by the players on the roaster. Chandler, marion, kidd, and stevenson are very good defenders. Im not sure the raptors have one defender comparable to any of these players. I doubt the raptors would reciprocate the same results to the mavs. IF the raptors can become an average defensive team, it would be great for them.

I'm very happy for Coach Casey. Good for him and I hope he succeeds in Toronto.

Good luck to him !

Tmath
06-20-2011, 10:10 PM
The Defensive Guru for the Dallas Mavs!!!!! :clap:

He was the creator of the matchup zone that killed a lot of teams and all our schemes

You deserved it, now our defense is gonna suck, we need to get a good replacement

Props to Tyson Chandler but he deserves credit also

Hopefully we can steal Tyson away from you too :p

FriedTofuz
06-20-2011, 10:16 PM
If you don't know what you are talking about then why make such a bold comment?
The Raptors have one of the wealthiest owners (MLSE) in the league and could EASILY spend as much as it would take to sign your supposed "high profile" coaches, problem is name one that is available?

Whats done is done, and whats done, cannot be undone. If someone makes an uneducated statement and accepts their wrongs, no need to hang onto something, right? It was just an assumption.

Why would you make such a bold comment? MLSE is not one of the wealthiest owners in the league. MLSE isnt even a owner, its a cooperation that is divided by a percentage of share. No , it is not one of the wealthiest in the league. Whats their profit revenue?

MLSE wealth was 297 million as of 2004-2005( which was the last time a study was conducted). 7 years later, its improbable that the cooperations revenue substantially increased. Although this study is a while back, MLSE wealth wouldnt have substantially increased to a point where it would be a top NBA Market.

Look at this.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-salary-owners.htm

This is as of the 2004 ~ 2005 Season... that's THE LAST time.. an indepth look was given/taken...

Paul Allen Portland $20 billion

Micky Arison Miami $5.3 billion

Rich DeVos Orlando $3 billion

William Davidson Detroit $2.8 billion

Glen Taylor Minnesota $1.8 billion

Melvin Simon Indiana $1.6 billion

E. Stanley Kroenke Denver $1.4 billion

Mark Cuban Dallas $1.3 billion

Herb Simon Indiana $1.2 billion

Michael E. Heisley Memphis $850 million

Robert Johnson Charlotte $750 million

Howard Schultz Seattle $700 million

Donald Sterling L.A. Clippers $500 million

Cablevision New York $494 million

Larry Miller Utah $480 million

Dan Gilbert Cleveland $478 million

Bruce Ratner New Jersey $400 million

Robert Sarver Phoenix $400 million

Jerry Buss L.A. Lakers $380 million

Wyc Grousbeck Boston $360 million

Chris Cohan Golden State $325 million

Ed Snider Philadelphia $310 million

Steve Belkin Atlanta $300 million

Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment Toronto $297 million

MLSE IS ranked 24th in the nba in terms of wealth. THat is most definatly not one of the wealthies in the league. Nor is it even top 10. Although this study is outdate, theres no way MLSE trippled its revenue to even come close to top 10.

and could EASILY spend as much as it would take to sign your supposed "high profile" coaches, problem is name one that is available?

When did we say Mike brown was a high profile coach? I dont think anyone has said that. Every team in the nba is capable of bringing in a high profile coach, it all depends on how much money they want to spend. That argument is pointless :laugh2:

LTBaByyy
06-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Hopefully we can steal Tyson away from you too :p

Well yall do need:

1) A defense center to get the team back on track in the right direction

2) Move Bargs to PF and use him like Dirk

3) Defense

BUT NOOOOOOOOO :cry:

lol

justin_6
06-20-2011, 10:44 PM
great signing :)

klay
06-20-2011, 10:49 PM
Whats done is done, and whats done, cannot be undone. If someone makes an uneducated statement and accepts their wrongs, no need to hang onto something, right? It was just an assumption.

Why would you make such a bold comment? MLSE is not one of the wealthiest owners in the league. MLSE isnt even a owner, its a cooperation that is divided by a percentage of share. No , it is not one of the wealthiest in the league. Whats their profit revenue?

MLSE wealth was 297 million as of 2004-2005( which was the last time a study was conducted). 7 years later, its improbable that the cooperations revenue substantially increased. Although this study is a while back, MLSE wealth wouldnt have substantially increased to a point where it would be a top NBA Market.

This is as of the 2004 ~ 2005 Season... that's THE LAST time.. an indepth look was given/taken...

MLSE IS ranked 24th in the nba in terms of wealth. THat is most definatly not one of the wealthies in the league. Nor is it even top 10. Although this study is outdate, theres no way MLSE trippled its revenue to even come close to top 10.

When did we say Mike brown was a high profile coach? I dont think anyone has said that. Every team in the nba is capable of bringing in a high profile coach, it all depends on how much money they want to spend. That argument is pointless :laugh2:

MLSE is repotedly worth 1.6 billion
as of 2008

klay
06-20-2011, 10:52 PM
and forbes says its worth even more.
http://www.cbj.ca/business_news/canadian_business_news/130511_forbes_mlse_worth_2_25b.html

Sadds The Gr8
06-20-2011, 10:57 PM

it won't be possible because Barfnani won't be in a Raps uniform next season.

I think I missed the memo on Triano getting fired?
ur about a month late...

koreancabbage
06-20-2011, 11:00 PM

Look at this.

lolz Raptors is the 10th highest valued team in the league. with a revenue stream of 138 million. only SA, ORL, PHO, MIA, DAL, HOU, BOS, LA, CHI, NY. Thats better than 2/3 of the teams in the NBA. they are actually in the top 3rd for every single category when it comes to profitability.

FriedTofuz
06-20-2011, 11:05 PM
MLSE is repotedly worth 1.6 billion
as of 2008

Thats a great amount of wealth. That doesnt mean theyre on of the wealthiest francises. If theres a rank, then we'll know if the raptors reall are one of the wealthiest in the league.

FriedTofuz
06-20-2011, 11:06 PM
lolz Raptors is the 10th highest valued team in the league. with a revenue stream of 138 million. only SA, ORL, PHO, MIA, DAL, HOU, BOS, LA, CHI, NY. Thats better than 2/3 of the teams in the NBA. they are actually in the top 3rd for every single category when it comes to profitability.

Is there a difference between wealth of a organizaation and how much their team is valued? I just realized, the other persons argument was that MLSE was one of the weathiest owners, he didnt say they were one of the top valued teams. Its a different concept.

koreancabbage
06-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Is there a difference between wealth of a organizaation and how much their team is valued? I just realized, the other persons argument was that MLSE was one of the weathiest owners, he didnt say they were one of the top valued teams. Its a different concept.

Forbes valuation (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/32/basketball-valuations-11_Toronto-Raptors_321933.html).

revenue does play a role in the valuation. but it also helps that Air Canada center is a top entertainment facility as well, which MLSE owns.
Raptors are only one of 10 teams that generate more than $1 million in gate reciepts per game on average (they generate $44 million FYI)

well if you're talking about the Wealth of an owner, then you can't compare cuz you have billionaire owners who come in and buy the team cuz they can. but they do generate losses like Mark Cuban stated losing 20M in one year. being a wealthy owner doesn't MEAN JACK! you still have to follow strict guidelines for cap situations and stuff. Going over by a lot has its consequences like getting penalized on the luxury tax. thats a hefty fine for going over and not winning it all. MLSE is one of those teams that will go over the cap of the chances of winning is increased. not many teams can do that. just saying

FriedTofuz
06-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Forbes valuation (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/32/basketball-valuations-11_Toronto-Raptors_321933.html).

revenue does play a role in the valuation. but it also helps that Air Canada center is a top entertainment facility as well, which MLSE owns.
Raptors are only one of 10 teams that generate more than $1 million in gate reciepts per game on average (they generate $44 million FYI)

http://www.forbes.com/2010/12/16/lakers-nets-blazers-magic-business-sports-nba-billionaires_slide_12.html

his argument was that MLSE is one of the wealthiest owners in the NBA. Im not talking about revenue, but based on the figures your right about revenue. As for owners, MLSE IS NOT TOP TEN.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/12/16/lakers-nets-blazers-magic-business-sports-nba-billionaires_slide_12.html

FriedTofuz
06-20-2011, 11:29 PM

well if you're talking about the Wealth of an owner, then you can't compare cuz you have billionaire owners who come in and buy the team cuz they can. but they do generate losses like Mark Cuban stated losing 20M in one year. being a wealthy owner doesn't MEAN JACK! you still have to follow strict guidelines for cap situations and stuff. Going over by a lot has its consequences like getting penalized on the luxury tax. thats a hefty fine for going over and not winning it all. MLSE is one of those teams that will go over the cap of the chances of winning is increased. not many teams can do that. just saying

Its not my argument, Like i said, it as someone else claiming mlse was one of the wealthiest owners, and that they can get a big name coach if they wanted to :laugh2:

gwrighter
06-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Just to clear it up, MLSE has 2 owners. Kilmer Sports(20%), Ontario Teachers Pension Plan(80%).

OTPP has 107 billion in assets currently

so the actual owners of MLSE have 5 times the wealth of the dude from Portland. Also, those #'s are Pre-Recession, most likely they've all lost some money since then.

If Casey can bring the Raptors out of the bottom 12 defensively in the 1st season I will be satisfied.

However I have doubt's about his offensive coordination. Does anybody have knowledge on his ability? How are his teams offensively?

koreancabbage
06-20-2011, 11:45 PM

his argument was that MLSE is one of the wealthiest owners in the NBA. Im not talking about revenue, but based on the figures your right about revenue. As for owners, MLSE IS NOT TOP TEN.

well MLSE is owned by the Ontario Teacher's Pension so theoretically speaking, they are the owners with net assets of over $107.5 billion. just saying.

The_905
06-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Like I said, MLSE is ONE of the wealthiest owners of an NBA franchise.

FriedTofuz's why are you still going on about this? They clearly have enough money to shell out on any coach they want.

For the record, he needed to PM me to continue his rant.

Get a life bud..

FriedTofuz
06-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Like I said, MLSE is ONE of the wealthiest owners of an NBA franchise..

why arent they in the top 10 list of wealthiest nba owners then?

FriedTofuz
06-20-2011, 11:49 PM
well MLSE is owned by the Ontario Teacher's Pension so theoretically speaking, they are the owners with net assets of over $107.5 billion. just saying.

Forbes probably didnt include teams whos ownerships are split into two companies owning them :shrug:

FriedTofuz's why are you still going on about this? They clearly have enough money to shell out on any coach they want.

Get a life bud..

I sent you a link? that means I have no life? So when you come back and edit your post to say this, that means you have a life? :confused:

koreancabbage
06-20-2011, 11:52 PM

why arent they in the top 10 list of wealthiest nba owners then?

dude, MLSE is owned by OTPP, which probably DWARVES Paul Allen's net worth.
just b/c OTPP doesn't run the daily routines of the Raptors doesn't mean MLSE isn't wealthy, which on the contrary, they are pretty wealthy.

noone owns Paul Allen right? so i guess he is the owner. same goes for OTPP, MLSE, and the Raptors. OTPP is the real owner of the organization.

The_905
06-20-2011, 11:54 PM
Lol @ FriedTofuz..

this guy is way too much..

FriedTofuz
06-20-2011, 11:56 PM
dude, MLSE is owned by OTPP, which probably DWARVES Paul Allen's net worth.
just b/c OTPP doesn't run the daily routines of the Raptors doesn't mean MLSE isn't wealthy, which on the contrary, they are pretty wealthy.

noone owns Paul Allen right? so i guess he is the owner. same goes for OTPP, MLSE, and the Raptors. OTPP is the real owner of the organization.

Im not saying they arent wealthy. Im referencing based on forbes.

drobe86
06-21-2011, 12:06 AM
This is definately a good pickup for the Raps. The Raps have a decent young core to build around. (Derozen, Bargs, and Ed Davis).... Your team will improve dramatically on the defensive end. You guys are going to have to get some players but I wish you guys the best of luck...

FriedTofuz
06-21-2011, 12:09 AM
This is definately a good pickup for the Raps. The Raps have a decent young core to build around. (Derozen, Bargs, and Ed Davis).... Your team will improve dramatically on the defensive end. You guys are going to have to get some players but I wish you guys the best of luck...

Aquiring a defensive center really could help them out. Dallas aquired tyson and it helped them out.

koreancabbage
06-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Im not saying they arent wealthy. Im referencing based on forbes.

lol alright alright sure, MLSE is pretty piss poor when it comes to overall wealth as a stand-alone organization- in understanding, but now you know that the real owners of the Raptors would probably be number 1 on that list.

wealth really doesn't play a HUGE part of the puzzle as much as how well run the organization is. most of that wealth of the owner can't be touched or used towards the franchise cuz the franchise itself is probably the least profitable project/investment.

magikmc
06-21-2011, 12:11 AM
stay on topic about the hiring of the coach please.

who really gives a shyt how wealthy owners are anyways?

Drop the argument and move on.

THE GIPPER
06-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Very good signing for raps. If derozan becomes a good perimeter defender and his offensive game continues to develope as it should he is really gunna be a special player.

koreancabbage
06-21-2011, 12:23 AM
DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Chandler, Oden are options

What if you think if they could try to get Oden (5 years $30 million, with last 3 years as club options) and DeAndre Jordan (5 years $40 million), do you think we could pry them away?

draft Knight/ Walker (atm, i don't really care but i am high on Knight)

freakin trade for a mid-late lottery pick and pick up Leonard. like him or Alec Burks a lot. (probably involve Amir Johnson- still only 23/24 i believe, crazy for a 6 year vet.)

Walker/Knight, Bayless
Derozan
JJ/ Leonard
Bargnani/Davis
Jordan/Oden

Casey will hide Bargnani in the defense somewhere, but I think its a better defensive team than last year lol. if this is the case, then I rather draft Walker due to the lack of scoring outside of Bargs and Dero. Knight is a ST-LT project with better upside at 6'3" and less of a defensive liability from a size perspective. I think Casey will thrive with Jordan/Oden in the middle

FriedTofuz
06-21-2011, 12:26 AM
DeAndre Jordan, Marc Gasol, Chandler, Oden are options

What if you think if they could try to get Oden (5 years $30 million, with last 3 years as club options) and DeAndre Jordan (5 years $40 million), do you think we could pry them away?

draft Knight/ Walker (atm, i don't really care but i am high on Knight)

freakin trade for a mid-late lottery pick and pick up Leonard. like him or Alec Burks a lot. (probably involve Amir Johnson- still only 23/24 i believe, crazy for a 6 year vet.)

Walker/Knight, Bayless
Derozan
JJ/ Leonard
Bargnani/Davis
Jordan/Oden

Casey will hide Bargnani in the defense somewhere, but I think its a better defensive team than last year lol. if this is the case, then I rather draft Walker due to the lack of scoring outside of Bargs and Dero. Knight is a ST-LT project with better upside at 6'3" and less of a defensive liability from a size perspective. I think Casey will thrive with Jordan/Oden in the middle

I say definatly give oden a chance. However, He wont come for 6 mil a year. There are many teams interested in him and the blazers management has said they would offer him at least a 7 mil per year contract. With his potential, and great games before injury, he can really become something special for a team that is willing to take a risk. I say, go for it.

THE GIPPER
06-21-2011, 12:26 AM
^deandre jordan is sick I don't think the clips will let him go

koreancabbage
06-21-2011, 12:39 AM
I say definatly give oden a chance. However, He wont come for 6 mil a year. There are many teams interested in him and the blazers management has said they would offer him at least a 7 mil per year contract. With his potential, and great games before injury, he can really become something special for a team that is willing to take a risk. I say, go for it.

well i was trying to be reasonable and to what they are worth. blazers organization should cut their ties when they have a chance. its obvious they are cursed and by signing Oden will only seal his fate LOL ;) j/k j/k ...but seriously....

DeAndre Jordan will probably go for 10-13 million, which i am fine with cuz its hard to get a good young starting quality center anywhere. 6 years 60 million (maybe even 65 million)

Oden...He's a special player when he's not injured. any contract with him has to include club options which is then fine if we can get him (5 years $40-45 million with 3 club options for the last 3 years)

I know we're spending most of our money on two centers but they anchor the defense. If we can limit Oden's minutes and he can stay healthy (i think which are both has a correlation sometimes) this will be a steal.

Casey will be freaking amazing with both defensive centers in the mix. but we seriously need to get rid of Calderon and his contract and his defensive liabities, we'll be fine.

FriedTofuz
06-21-2011, 12:50 AM
well i was trying to be reasonable and to what they are worth. blazers organization should cut their ties when they have a chance. its obvious they are cursed and by signing Oden will only seal his fate LOL ;) j/k j/k ...but seriously....

DeAndre Jordan will probably go for 10-13 million, which i am fine with cuz its hard to get a good young starting quality center anywhere. 6 years 60 million (maybe even 65 million)

Oden...He's a special player when he's not injured. any contract with him has to include club options which is then fine if we can get him (5 years $40-45 million with 3 club options for the last 3 years)

I know we're spending most of our money on two centers but they anchor the defense. If we can limit Oden's minutes and he can stay healthy (i think which are both has a correlation sometimes) this will be a steal.

Casey will be freaking amazing with both defensive centers in the mix. but we seriously need to get rid of Calderon and his contract and his defensive liabities, we'll be fine.

i wouldnt mind having calderon on the lakers. yes his defense sucks, but with 4 other good defenders backing him up, i dont mind. he can shoot and pass, and him and pau would certainly have a lot more chemistry.

As for jordan, i doubt he will get paid that much. he averages nearly a double double, correct me if im wrong

koreancabbage
06-21-2011, 12:57 AM
i wouldnt mind having calderon on the lakers. yes his defense sucks, but with 4 other good defenders backing him up, i dont mind. he can shoot and pass, and him and pau would certainly have a lot more chemistry.

As for jordan, i doubt he will get paid that much. he averages nearly a double double, correct me if im wrong

i love Calderon, he's a pretty darn good basketball player and is a good locker room presence minus the defensive inabilities of course. Lakers need a guard like Calderon, unselfish and can stroke the open jimmy all day.

if the Raps were somewhat contending, i would keep him, but with the inevitable draft looming and it looks like either Knight or Walker, Calderon's last day as a Raptor should be very near. and yes, you are right about Jordan, overpaid. in my statement. i would like it if we could spend close to 15million/year on both Oden and Jordan :D

0nekhmer
06-21-2011, 01:03 AM
calderon for shannon brown :D

John Walls Era
06-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Great sign. Now they need a C. Andrea Bargnani can still be a good PF in this league (the guy did avg. 20+ PPG last year).

LTBaByyy
06-21-2011, 01:33 AM
They just need a defensive center like Chandler and move Bargs to PF so he can play like Dirk

John Walls Era
06-21-2011, 02:18 AM
They just need a defensive center like Chandler and move Bargs to PF so he can play like Dirk

And they should've had Chandler last yaer, but MJ had to mess things up.

FriedTofuz
06-21-2011, 02:21 AM

Michael jordan canceled on the raptors to trade for dampier to save more money :laugh2:

Sadds The Gr8
06-21-2011, 02:21 AM

Get a life bud..

yup. he's a stalker like that.

todu82
06-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Great hire for Toronto. Casey was one of the top assistant coaches in the NBA. Plus coming from a team that just won the title doesn't hurt either.