PDA

View Full Version : NBA Round Table: Mock Draft Edition

ManRam
06-19-2011, 07:39 PM
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3501/roundtable1.png
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6778/roundtable4.png
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/9928/roundtable3.png

Welcome to ProSportsDaily.com's Round Table discussion group. This is a continued series here at PSD where we pose a question to our writing staff and they answer.

Today we bring you our NBA Mock Draft. We discussed each pick one at a time over the last week in order to get a consensus amongst us all. Mock drafts are always tough to predict, and player's draft statuses change daily. We would be foolish to expect significant success, but we did our best.

We did not include any potential trades in any of this, which will potentially be a significant game-changer on draft night. We also skipped the second round due to a lack of time.

1) Cleveland: Kyrie Irving - Kyrie is another point guard that is going to enhance the already ridiculous young crop of great point guards in the league. He's got everything you want in a point guard. He's creative, quick, can shoot, defend, lead his team, he's mature, intelligent, *he can pass, handle, everything. The real concern though, is his durability. Obviously he didn't play very much in his single season at Duke, but that could have been a freak accident, or it could be a legitimate concern. He's probably not ready for NBA competition considering he barely played in college, so it will be a rough transition, but when he arrives all the way, he's going to be a nightmare to guard. The Cav's will draft him because they NEED a surefire pick. Although Williams is likely going to be great, Kyrie seems more like a sure thing.

2) Minnesota: Derrick Williams - He is explosive, and ready right away for a huge role. He isn't as strong as one would hope, but he could improve there. He isn't fundamentally sound on defense, but he has a wide array of skills that could make him an all out weapon offensively. He has a wide, wide wingspan that will block some shots and get him some rebounds. He has a very nice turnaround jumper as well. Derrick Williams could very well be the best player in this draft, but has some maturity concerns. The Timberwolves will take Williams because he is the best player on the board.

3) Utah: Brandon Knight - Knight's got an awesome jumper. Top of the line. He however, cannot pass. His passing ability is WAY below what you would hope for a 3rd overall pick. His scoring ability doesn't necessarily make up for it, but he will definitely be just fine. Everything he does is way above average, but he just isn't a good passer by any standards. He'll light up the scoreboard, and ALWAYS show up in the clutch (as we saw in the NCAA tournament). He was phenomenal in the tournament, and showed impressive leadership qualities for such a young guy. The Jazz after trading Deron Williams mid-last season, are in need of a franchise Point Guard. Knight can fill that void

4) Cleveland: Enes Kanter - His post skills are flawless. He goes up strong. Hes athletic, he grabs every rebound, hes a big body, and he has a very nice jump shot. Way better of a jumper than a player his size/skill set normally has. The only concern about him (much like Irving) is his physical health. He has a slight knee problem that could nag at him as a professional. Cleveland could completely change the culture of their team with Irving and Kanter. Kanter can play two positions

5) Toronto: Kemba Walker - All accounts say his workouts have been amazing. He's already signed big endorsement deals and would no doubt bring a lot of excitement to the Raptor backcourt playing along side Demar DeRozan. Questions remain about his passing, but he's shown when needed, he can pass at a well-above average rate.

6) Washington: Jan Vesely - Jan is pretty athletic. He can play both forward positions, and has a solid jumper. His size is awesome as well. Not a typical European style player, relies on athleticism way more than jumpers. He needs to learn how to be more offensively consistent as far as his post moves, jumper, and just all around game. He's pretty much just decent everywhere else, but he could fit in very well with Wall-McGee and make for an extremely athletic team.

7) Sacramento: Kawhi Leonard - Kawhi Leonard is an energy player, which is a very cliche phrase, but that's really what he is. He is constantly compared to Gerald Wallace, which i can see as far as his offensive game, but i don't think he will have anywhere near the defensive skills of Gerald Wallace.

8) Detroit: Jonas Valanciunas - Jonas is going to come into the league and struggle for a little while, but when his game buds he could be an elite center. He's developing a decent post game, but isn't going to be a good offensive player for a little while. He is a phenomenal rebounder, as he has good timing/instincts and the physical tools to get his hands on the ball. He's a very good shot blocker as well, and has a solid short-mid range jumper, but cannot rely heavily on his perimeter game. Jonas will be next to Greg Monroe, and they'll form a dominant downlow force for the Pistons. The Pistons have to make this pick if Jonas is on the board, its impossible for them to pass up.

9) Charlotte: Marcus Morris - The Bobcats are set in the back court with Augustin, Henderson and Captain Jack. They could take a chance and draft a center to help with their size, but at #9 the centers available are projects. Marcus can step right in and provide some much needed offense at the 4 or even the 3.

10) Milwaukee: Alec Burks - Burks is big enough to play shooting guard, or play PG when Jennings isn't in. He's got the vision, handling, creativity, passing skills, and scoring ability to be a legitimate superstar, and i have no doubt the Bucks make this pick unless there is somebody else they are in love with. He is the best player in the draft that can play shooting guard, and that's what the Bucks need.

11) Golden State: Bismack Biyombo - He's a top 10 talent, but questions remains remain about his polish. He's got some significant scoring/rebound/block triple double potential, but he hasn't been terribly impressive in workouts, and it will take some time to develop him. GS needs a big and tall defensive presence in the front court and Biyombo is just that.

12) Utah: Jimmer Fredette - We have Utah taking Knight, so this might seem a bit odd, but he's a local kid, he'd be a huge hit, and his workouts have been amazing. It might be a little reach, but he's too good of a fit for them. Jimmer could definitely see time at the 2 and help out a team lacking shooting.

13) Phoenix: Tristan Thompson - He's worked out very well, and might not make it to 13 after all, but if he does, Phoenix can't pass him up. He's athletic, long and "hungry". A bit raw offensively, but what better place to go learn how to play offense than Phoenix?

14) Houston: Donatas Motiejunas - A great shooting big man who played amazingly well overseas this past season. Very NBA ready, but does lack toughness and defensive instincts. He's great value for a team that desperately could use some big bodies.

15)Indiana: Klay Thompson -Possibly the most versatile player in the entire draft, Thompson is certainly a unique talent. He has good size and length, standing at 6'7, and should be able to contribute right away offensively and defensively. On the defensive side, Thompson is expected to be able to defend three positions immediately. Offensively his game needs to be rounded out, but he will be able to showcase his elite shooting ability from the get-go.

16) Philadelphia: Chris Singleton - Philly gets the best perimeter defender of the draft class here. Singleton should be able to contribute right away, though he still needs to make major strides to be productive offensively in the NBA. Off the catch-and-shoot, Singleton is productive player, but his inefficiency off the dribble may hinder him moving forward. Whether he's backing up Igoudala or Brand, there will be minimal pressure on Singleton, giving him plenty of time to develop.

17) New York: Marshon Brooks - The Knicks need talent around Melo and Amare' and they need someone who can step in and play right away. Brooks fits both of those requirements. He can start at the 2 or provide some scoring off the bench. He was the 2nd leading scorer in the NCAA last year and measured with a 7-1" wingspan. With the right coaching, he could develop into a very good defender which the Knicks could also use.

18) Washington: Tobias Harris - Harris is one of the youngest players in the draft, but he also has a lot of upside. He is a bit of a tweener, and it is yet to be determined what position (4/5) will be best suited for him in the NBA. I see his peak as a Lamar Odom type player, but he will need to make major strides to get to that level. Washington is a good fit, as he will get to play behind Nick Young and Rashard Lewis and learn the ropes before being thrust into the NBA game as a starter. His conditioning still needs work but his talent and versatility cannot be denied.

19) Charlotte: Markieff Morris - The Bobcats are a wildcard at #19. Their starting lineup is locked up for the next few years, so they will begin to add depth and talent off the bench by adding Morris. Though his game is similar to Tyrus Thomas, Morris' defense will be key to the Bobcats progress in the East. Markieff's offensive game is inferior to his brother's, but his energy and toughness makes up for it. Morris is the type of player that will do all of the little things to help you win games, and that is what Charlotte will value.

20) Minnesota: Jordan Hamilton - Already with high draft picks invested all over the court, the Wolves could go a bunch of ways here. Hamilton's overall game is drawing some questions among scouts, but his abilty to shoot, and shoot from wherever on the court is a huge asset. He's got the potential to be a very solid scorer in this league, and could be an immediate spark off the bench.

21) Portland: Kenneth Faried – Portland is a perfect fit for Faried. He’s a bit undersized, but he is widely considered one of the best rebounders in the draft class, and can contribute immediately. His upside may be limited, but his rebounding and energy will give the Blazers an extra boost off the bench.

22) Denver: Tyler Honeycutt – Honeycutt needs a few years to mature, but there aren’t too many players with as much potential as him. He needs to bulk up, but Honeycutt should be able to contribute immediately on the defensive end. In addition to his defensive prowess, Honeycutt is also considered one of the smartest players in the draft, as well as one of the best passers from the wing position.

23) Houston: Darrius Morris - Since we have the Rockets going big with Motiejunas at #14, it makes sense to go with the best available guard at this position. Morris is versatile, and can guard three positions on defense as well as run the offense. Standing at 6’5, Morris can adequately play the point or wing in an up tempo offense. Great pick to add depth and roster flexibility.

24) Oklahoma City: Reggie Jackson – OKC has the luxury of taking what they feel is the best offensive player on the board. They are set at every position for at least the next three years, so they take Jackson to bolster the bench. In the Westbrook-mold, Jackson is a speedy guard with a long wingspan and a developing jumper. In the long run, he has much more upside than Maynor.

25) Boston: Nikola Vucevic – Vucevic is the perfect pick for Danny Ainge. His upside may be limited, but Vucevic should be able to contribute right away off the bench for the Celtics. In limited minutes, his rebounding and length should prove vital for Boston down the stretch while giving extra rest to KG and O’Neal en route to the playoffs.

26) Dallas Mavericks: Trey Thompkins – A versatile forward that can stretch it to three-point range. Thompkins is very well rounded, but has had conditioning problems in the past. A veteran team coming off a championship is the perfect fit for him to build up good habits and contribute off the bench. He should be able to learn a lot from Dirk, as they play a somewhat similar style.

27) New Jersey: Jeremy Tyler - Good athlete with a crazy 7'5'' wingspan. Tyler is still very raw as a player, but has an NBA body and is only 19 years old. He is a good value this late in the first round, but is definitely a long term prospect, as his game lacks polish right now.

28) Chicago: Charles Jenkins - Jenkins is not a pure point guard, and is undersized to be a full time off guard. His lights out perimeter shooting and ability to get into the lane and finish in a variety of ways will make him a good fit next to Rose. Jenkins is probably destined to be a bench scorer in this league, in the mold of a Ben Gordon perhaps?

29) San Antonio: Kyle Singler - Proven player on a big stage at Duke. Not great measurables, but a guy that just finds a way to get it done. Singler just screams San Antonio, a team that has a history of putting results ahead of measurables. Singler is a good shooter, and a jack of all trades sort. He will make the Spurs quite happy at this spot.

30) Chicago: Justin Harper - Stretch four that represents a good value pick for this late in the first round. Harper's unique ability to score the ball and stretch the floor would be a nice complementary piece for Chicago. Guys like Harper can really prevent defenses from packing the paint and limiting Rose.

Feel free to critique us and share whatever insight you have. Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say!

Thanks to Corey, Mane, Mr. Baller, daleja424, td0tsfinest, Korman, wolvesjagsfan10, Mile High Champ, patsSOXknicks and ebbs for all their help! The bolded names, along with myself, contributed with the write-ups.

DamnGoat
06-19-2011, 07:44 PM
You know a draft sucks when 2 combo guards are considered top 5 picks (Knight, Walker).

I expect them to both be solid players, but not All-Star caliber and maybe not even starters on competitive teams.

As a Bulls fan I'd hate that draft for us. If we stick where we're at then I don't expect much anyway, but I think I'd prefer guys like Shelvin Mack, Nolin Smith, JaJuan Johnson or even Kyle Singler before Jenkins or Harper. I kinda expect us to trade up and go after Brooks though.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Oh yeah I put Vucevic to the Celtics in the mock draft in Celtics forum.

dhopisthename
06-19-2011, 07:47 PM
so the jazz take two pg's?

ManRam
06-19-2011, 08:07 PM

Yeah. That was one of the more contraversial happenings. Very interesting to say the least. Some people felt Jimmer was just too good of a fit, and that for that reason it justified taking another PG.

Cano4prez
06-19-2011, 08:08 PM
**** nvm

Phenomenonsense
06-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Jan Vesely is a terrible jump shooter. If you want to see the stroke he has check his FT%. Jan's biggest benefit at the next level will be his 1 dribble dunk. He can do this easily from the 3 point line to the rim.

It is impossible for the Pistons to pass on Valanciunas, and I did a write up on Valanciunas on the Draft board. He has a good shot when rolling over his left shoulder from the Post. 80% FTs, will at some point have an 18 foot jumpshot probably.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Hopefully this happens so...

With the 31st pick in the 2011 NBA Draft the Miami Heat select Reggie Jackson from Boston College

jackson was clearly picked 24th in this mock...

Crackadalic
06-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Good Mock Draft

Cano4prez
06-19-2011, 08:41 PM
jackson was clearly picked 24th in this mock...

:facepalm: at me

airronijordan
06-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Cavs - Irving
Twolves - Williams
Jazz - Knight
Cavs - Valanciunas
Raptors - Vesely
Wizards - Kanter
Kings - Leonard
Detroit - T. Thompson
Cha - Kemba Walker
Bucks - Alec Burks
GSW - K. Thompson
Utah - Singleton
Pho - Fredette
Hou - Donatas Motiejunas
Indiana - Brooks
Phi - Marcus Morris
NYK - Biyombo
Was - T. Harris
Cha - Markieff Morris
Minn - Vucevic
Port - Faried
Den - Shumpert
Hou - Hamilton
OKC - Honeycutt
Bos - Tyler
Dallas - Bertans
NJ - Jenkins
Chi - Reggie Jackson
SA - Mirotic
Chi - Harper

Cubsfan365
06-19-2011, 08:44 PM
So you guys have the Bobcats taking both Morris twins? That's really interesting...

Khalifa21
06-19-2011, 09:00 PM
I'd be pretty happy with Brooks, but i'm really hoping Klay Thompson somehow falls to us.

gaughan333
06-19-2011, 09:07 PM
I'd definitely take honeycutt at 22. I think he could be a pretty good player down the road.

topdog
06-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Yeah. That was one of the more contraversial happenings. Very interesting to say the least. Some people felt Jimmer was just too good of a fit, and that for that reason it justified taking another PG.

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to take Kanter or Vesley then?

allSUAVE
06-19-2011, 09:23 PM
wow perfect prediction IMO

allSUAVE
06-19-2011, 09:26 PM
I'd be pretty happy with Brooks, but i'm really hoping Klay Thompson somehow falls to us.

Yes me too we have to move up for him smh

dhopisthename
06-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense for them to take Kanter or Vesley then?

yeah I was thinking the same thing if jimmer is a forgone conclusion at #12 then they will probably take kanter or valanciunus

iggypop123
06-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Jonas Valanciunas wont drop that much. i think the cavs take him. his potential is much higher than kanter

Corey
06-19-2011, 11:11 PM
yeah I was thinking the same thing if jimmer is a forgone conclusion at #12 then they will probably take kanter or valanciunus

While I agree, also factor in how well Dallas was able to utilize Kidd, Barea and Terry at the same time. Never know, could work out with Knight, Harris and Jimmer.

Harris will probably be traded at some point anyways :shrug:

PatsSoxKnicks
06-20-2011, 12:09 AM
I did one write up and I got my name bolded! :up: :laugh2:

dhopisthename
06-20-2011, 12:18 AM
While I agree, also factor in how well Dallas was able to utilize Kidd, Barea and Terry at the same time. Never know, could work out with Knight, Harris and Jimmer.

Harris will probably be traded at some point anyways :shrug:

well the jazz really need wing players but there aren't any available for the top 3 picks I think they may go for one at 12, and to be honest jimmermania has become way to much. I fear that people are going to expect jimmer to become the next john stockton and that he should almost get a starting job right away. I realize this is bleacher and anyone can right an article there but just read the first line and you realize how stupid it has gotten. There are people who seriously want the jazz to take him at 3 http://bleacherreport.com/articles/739365-jimmer-fredette-is-a-once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity-for-the-utah-jazz

cle12152433
06-20-2011, 02:19 PM

Hey, if the Timberwolves can take 4 guards in ONE ROUND after having the 5th worst NBA record and no inside presence other than a rookie in Kevin Love, then anything is possible.

theheatles
06-20-2011, 03:31 PM
i don't think the cavs are taking enes kanter...they are going to trade out and they are going to take a wing player or trade up for derrick williams

assisi805
06-20-2011, 09:21 PM
[QUOTE=DamnGoat;18293353]You know a draft sucks when 2 combo guards are considered top 5 picks (Knight, Walker).

:clap:

jimbobjarree
06-20-2011, 09:37 PM
The Jazz aren't going to take 2 PGs. We take Kanter and most likely Jimmer (if he falls) and look to trade Al Jefferson on draft day.

You hit the nail on the head when you say Knight can't pass. He is not Utah franchise PG material, and the whole KOC is enamored with him was ********.

JDM
06-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Although I could see it happening, I realllllly don't want the Bobcats' draft to turn out that way. The Morris twins will only jam our PF position, where we have Thomas and Diaw. We need a future SF and a center. Hamilton or Singleton (or best player available) at 9 and then a center like Vucevic would make me happy.

BuddhaMONK
06-21-2011, 05:26 PM
I got
1.irving
2.williams
3.kanter (they're taking fredette)
4. Bigman probably kanter
5. Knight or kemba I see them taking knight because they just got casey

kingjames3403
06-22-2011, 02:15 AM
Here's my mock draft (at least of the lottery)
1. Cavs- Irving
2. TWolves- Williams
3. Jazz- Knight
4. Cavs- Kanter
5. Raptors- Vesely
6. Wizards- Leonard
7. Kings- Walker
8. Pistons- Biyombo
9. Bobcats- Morris
10. Bucks- Thompson
11. Warriors- Thompson
12. Jazz- Singleton
13. Suns- Burks
14. Rockets- Valenciunas.

The rest of my 2 round mock draft can be found on http://therisebegins.blogspot.com/2011/06/2011-nba-mock-draft-version-1.html#more. I also have a post answering the question of who the top 5 basketball players in the NBA are today. Critique away!!

jimbobjarree
06-23-2011, 10:23 PM
The Jazz aren't going to take 2 PGs. We take Kanter and most likely Jimmer (if he falls) and look to trade Al Jefferson on draft day.

You hit the nail on the head when you say Knight can't pass. He is not Utah franchise PG material, and the whole KOC is enamored with him was ********.

jimbob > round table