PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Draft if there is on season

JEDean89
06-19-2011, 06:47 PM
I am just curious as to how the 2012 draft would play out if there is no season. Would all teams with a 1st round pick enter a lottery or would it be based off this last season?

Cano4prez
06-19-2011, 06:50 PM
I believe it would be based off the season before

daleja424
06-19-2011, 06:53 PM
:shrug: but who cares...

Raptor-54
06-19-2011, 07:03 PM
^^ teams that are in the lottery

daleja424
06-19-2011, 07:06 PM
^ That is a year away from now... if yu are looking forward to the 2012 draft already what is the point of your franchise?

Gators123
06-19-2011, 07:10 PM
DraftExpress-

No plan in place right now. RT @LonJefferies: If the lockout eliminates the entire season, how is the draft order for 2012 determined?

proper
06-19-2011, 07:12 PM
^ That is a year away from now... if yu are looking forward to the 2012 draft already what is the point of your franchise?

im sorry not every team is privileged like the all mighty miami heat!!!! so for lottery teams like us we have to look forward to drafts since thats the only way we can improve i hope you understand all mighty heat fan! the following season will probably be a wash for most lottery teams

daleja424
06-19-2011, 07:20 PM
im sorry not every team is privileged like the all mighty miami heat!!!! so for lottery teams like us we have to look forward to drafts since thats the only way we can improve i hope you understand all mighty heat fan! the following season will probably be a wash for most lottery teams

This has nothing to do with the HEAT. If your franchise is worried about the 2012 draft before the 2011 draft then maybe you shouldn't have a team...

Swashcuff
06-19-2011, 07:45 PM
This has nothing to do with the HEAT. If your franchise is worried about the 2012 draft before the 2011 draft then maybe you shouldn't have a team...

I fully disagree with this. Some teams stand NO chance acquiring big name FAs and also stand NO chance at contending next season, teams such as the Kings and the Cats realistically don't really have a shot at making the playoffs and with this year's draft not expected to be the strongest you would have no choice but to think further down the line. I'm not saying that the 2011 draft is of no importance to them but they'd certainly be more interested in who they'd be able to get in the 2012 draft if it is going to indeed be a very deep one.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 07:46 PM
I fully disagree with this. Some teams stand NO chance acquiring big name FAs and also stand NO chance at contending next season, teams such as the Kings and the Cats realistically don't really have a shot at making the playoffs and with this year's draft not expected to be the strongest you would have no choice but to think further down the line. I'm not saying that the 2011 draft is of no importance to them but they'd certainly be more interested in who they'd be able to get in the 2012 draft if it is going to indeed be a very deep one.

why?

proper
06-19-2011, 07:53 PM
why?

because we're not miami?? its that what you wanted to hear?? yes fA love miami!!! i mean dwayne wade laughed at the when asked if he would consider playing for toronto.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 07:56 PM
because we're not miami?? its that what you wanted to hear?? yes fA love miami!!! i mean dwayne wade laughed at the when asked if he would consider playing for toronto.

Yes...thats exactly what I want to hear.

If the smallest markets can't draw FAs and cant improve via the draft... why do they exist?

The small markets complain about parity... but what exactly do you suggest? People would rather live in NY, Miami, Chicago, LA, etc than Charlotte, Milwaukee, etc... is that really news to anyone?

PhillyFaninLA
06-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Off topic but I don't think this is new thread worthy........Are contracts signed until year x or for year x....like if there is not season would contracts that where supposed to expire 11-12 still expire or would they and all other contracts be moved up a year (11-12 to 12-13, 12-13 to 13-14 and so on)

proper
06-19-2011, 08:13 PM
hence why we look forward to drafts so we can draft superstars and hope the team is competitive so they don't end up leaving.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 08:20 PM
hence why we look forward to drafts so we can draft superstars and hope the team is competitive so they don't end up leaving.

okay...I don't want to overgeneralize... so who is your team?

assisi805
06-19-2011, 08:26 PM

I have a team, I love my team and their doing just great. But i'm still very much looking forward to this draft. You should be too. With so many players not declaring because of the chance of a lockout plus the players coming in it's going to make for an amazing draft class. The kind of draft that can alter the NBA. You don't need to call a fans loyalty into this. This is about a giant boost for most all NBA teams and everyone should be excited. It's been in my mind for quite sometime and this is a valid question...

Stuckey#3
06-19-2011, 08:29 PM

Not every franchise is in a major market and can pull off highjacking three of the leagues top 20 players.
My team loses right now... just like 13 other teams.
Some teams take short cuts.
Some teams get better through the draft, hard work and defense.
I choose the latter.

Get off the trollwagon.

Swashcuff
06-19-2011, 08:37 PM

If the smallest markets can't draw FAs and cant improve via the draft... why do they exist?

The small markets complain about parity... but what exactly do you suggest? People would rather live in NY, Miami, Chicago, LA, etc than Charlotte, Milwaukee, etc... is that really news to anyone?

Wow. I must say this ignorant stance has surprised me coming from a poster such as yourself. That's the way of sports. Especially North American Team sports. Certain franchises are more fortunate (in all senses of the word) than other hence the reason why they are able to do certain things others can't.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 08:38 PM
I have a team, I love my team and their doing just great. But i'm still very much looking forward to this draft. You should be too. With so many players not declaring because of the chance of a lockout plus the players coming in it's going to make for an amazing draft class. The kind of draft that can alter the NBA. You don't need to call a fans loyalty into this. This is about a giant boost for most all NBA teams and everyone should be excited. It's been in my mind for quite sometime and this is a valid question...
The draft may be very good... so what? We should all be worried about 2011-2012 basketball as fans... not worrying about what might happen a year from now if the whole season is cancelled...

And I repeat...if you see a lost year of basketball as a positive for your team... you shouldn't have a team.

Not every franchise is in a major market and can pull off highjacking three of the leagues top 20 players.
My team loses right now... just like 13 other teams.
Some teams take short cuts.
Some teams get better through the draft, hard work and defense.
I choose the latter.

Get off the trollwagon.

Haha. Shortcuts. I didn't realize that the Pistons drafted Billups, Hamilton, Wallace, and Sheed.... oh wait... you didn't...

:facepalm:

daleja424
06-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Wow. I must say this ignorant stance has surprised me coming from a poster such as yourself. That's the way of sports. Especially North American Team sports. Certain franchises are more fortunate (in all senses of the word) than other hence the reason why they are able to do certain things others can't.

Not ignorant... entirely realistic.

I generally like small market teams... but when they start complaining about parity...:facepalm:

There is no parity... there will never be parity. Very few players are going to choose to live in a small market when they have the option of a larger one.

proper
06-19-2011, 09:20 PM

I generally like small market teams... but when they start complaining about parity...:facepalm:

There is no parity... there will never be parity. Very few players are going to choose to live in a small market when they have the option of a larger one.

technically i live in a BIG market team but americans are afraid of living in canada for some reason ex: rupaul.

Gators123
06-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Didn't the Heat tank a season a few years ago? What is the point of your franchise?

proper
06-19-2011, 09:28 PM

most lottery teams are working for the future not for right now so there is a point look at Washington they were pathetic one season now they have hope with the addition of just one player(wall)

daleja424
06-19-2011, 09:29 PM
most lottery teams are working for the future not for right now so there is a point look at Washington they were pathetic one season now they have hope with the addition of just one player(wall)

Yes... but thats kinda my point. Looking forward to this draft is one thing... but looking past this season ahead to the next draft just doesnt sound like professional sports to me.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Didn't the Heat tank a season a few years ago? What is the point of your franchise?

Ya we tanked... we went from being a playoff team to a 14 win team on purpose... :facepalm:

smith&wesson
06-19-2011, 09:32 PM
just answer the question. its relevant. stop being such smart *****..

daleja424
06-19-2011, 09:35 PM
just answer the question. its relevant. stop being such smart *****..

How can I answer the question? no one knows the answer to the question yet... and the thread asked for an actual answer...not guesses...

(NOW I am being a smart ***, although my point stands)

So the answer is what I said the first time: :shrug:

Swashcuff
06-19-2011, 09:38 PM

My argument isn't one from a standpoint of parity its a standpoint of being realistic (unlike you saying something like if a team is not able to lure FAs they should not even exist) and accepting what is to be. You are not going to lure the big name FAs so do it the OKC, SA, DAL, Chi etc way which is building through the draft.

This has nothing to do with parity. FAs could decide they are not going to LA again thus putting the Lakers in a position to have to build through the draft.

gaughan333
06-19-2011, 09:39 PM
I really don't see whats wrong with looking forward to the 2012 draft. The OP didn't asked what would happen if this season didn't happen, he didn't say he didn't care about this draft or the season.

Gators123
06-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Ya we tanked... we went from being a playoff team to a 14 win team on purpose... :facepalm:

It was a few years ago, so maybe I'm wrong, but didn't Pat Riley (head coach) skip some games during the regular season to scout NCAA players? LOL

daleja424
06-19-2011, 09:40 PM
My argument isn't one from a standpoint of parity its a standpoint of being realistic (unlike you saying something like if a team is not able to lure FAs they should not even exist) and accepting what is to be. You are not going to lure the big name FAs so do it the OKC, SA, DAL, Chi etc way which is building through the draft.

This has nothing to do with parity. FAs could decide they are not going to LA again thus putting the Lakers in a position to have to build through the draft.

no... I said, or meant at least, that if you cant lure big free agents and you are going to whine about it.... then you shouldnt even exist. If you spend your time as a small market team trying to figure out ways to create parity... you are spinning your wheels as a franchise.

Arch Stanton
06-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Some of the top draft prospects next year will probably be: Austin Rivers, Jared Sullinger, Harrison Barnes, James McAdoo, Perry Jones, Michael Gilchrist, Anthony Davis...

KnicksR4Real
06-19-2011, 09:43 PM
random lottery. except everyone is in it. worst team from the year before gets the best chances and so on

daleja424
06-19-2011, 09:45 PM
It was a few years ago, so maybe I'm wrong, but didn't Pat Riley (head coach) skip some games during the regular season to scout NCAA players? LOL

Wade was hurt. Shaq was hurt. Alonzo was hurt. Dorell Wright was hurt. ETC ETC ETC.

That year Riley missed two games to scout the NCAA tournament on March 21 and 22. At that point in the season, Miami was 12-57 and there was 13 games left in the season. Miami wasn't going anywhere. Riley missed two games in an 82 game season where the HEAT lost 67 games...

proper
06-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Yes... but thats kinda my point. Looking forward to this draft is one thing... but looking past this season ahead to the next draft just doesnt sound like professional sports to me.

its usually just the fans obviously franchises aren't doing that lol i think they have better things to be focusing on.... and this draft right here is weak not even one guy that looks like a franchise player.

weren't you guys with cap space talking/looking forward to 2010 free agency in 2009? same thing.

proper
06-19-2011, 09:54 PM
no... I said, or meant at least, that if you cant lure big free agents and you are going to whine about it.... then you shouldnt even exist. If you spend your time as a small market team trying to figure out ways to create parity... you are spinning your wheels as a franchise.

miami isn't a big market exactly lol i know its desirable but same way the spurs and magic are because its in a warm climate. Without wade i doubt you guys get anyone.

FlakeyFool
06-19-2011, 10:01 PM
NHL lockout draft

Double Down
06-19-2011, 10:10 PM

But the question has more to it than just that. If, for example, owners feel there won't be a season and if the draft order from 2012 would be done using 2011's standings, then the draft picks for next year would already have assigned values. That would especially be relevant for any trades -- ie: the teams with the top picks would instantly be in even better shape to trade them, as we can figure out better what they are worth.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 10:14 PM
But the question has more to it than just that. If, for example, owners feel there won't be a season and if the draft order from 2012 would be done using 2011's standings, then the draft picks for next year would already have assigned values. That would especially be relevant for any trades -- ie: the teams with the top picks would instantly be in even better shape to trade them, as we can figure out better what they are worth.

except that trades can't happen...b.c if we aren't playing basketball that means we don't have a cba...

Stuckey#3
06-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Wade was hurt. Shaq was hurt. Alonzo was hurt. Dorell Wright was hurt. ETC ETC ETC.

That year Riley missed two games to scout the NCAA tournament on March 21 and 22. At that point in the season, Miami was 12-57 and there was 13 games left in the season. Miami wasn't going anywhere. Riley missed two games in an 82 game season where the HEAT lost 67 games...

There may have been some injuries... but the only thing that was "hurt" on that squad was the locker room (egos/drama). Memphis made it to the second round this year without its best player. You are telling me a championship caliber team can't post more than 14 wins with a couple injuries?
Shaq/DWade and Co. were friggin drama queens.

And Detroit gave up star players (Stack/ Grant Hill) to take chances on journeymen/unproven talents. A lot different from Riley plotting years in advance to bring in three superstars. Also Memo and Tay (who were just as important as Rip and Sheed) were drafted.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 10:23 PM
There may have been some injuries... but the only thing that was "hurt" on that squad was the locker room (egos/drama). Memphis made it to the second round this year its best player. You are telling me a championship caliber team can't post more than 14 wins with a couple injuries?
Shaq/DWade and Co. were friggin drama queens.

And Detroit gave up star players (Stack/ Grant Hill) to take chances on journeymen/unproven talents. A lot different from Joe D plotting years in advance to bring in three superstars. Also Memo and Tay (who were just as important as Rip and Sheed) were drafted.

...as were Chalmers, Haslem, Wade, And Joel Anthony (4 of the 7 main rotation players) :wink:

Double Down
06-19-2011, 10:27 PM
except that trades can't happen...b.c if we aren't playing basketball that means we don't have a cba...

They can trade future picks on draft night.

BradytoGronkTD
06-19-2011, 10:28 PM
...as were Chalmers, Haslem, Wade, And Joel Anthony (4 of the 7 main rotation players) :wink:

With your attitude it sounds like YOU don't deserve a team, shut your mouth.

imagesrdecievin
06-19-2011, 10:29 PM

An absolute hard cap with no exceptions that would force teams over the cap (ahem...Miami) to trade off players in order to get under the cap like what happened in hockey.

NYKnicksAllDay
06-19-2011, 10:32 PM
its usually just the fans obviously franchises aren't doing that lol i think they have better things to be focusing on.... and this draft right here is weak not even one guy that looks like a franchise player.

weren't you guys with cap space talking/looking forward to 2010 free agency in 2009? same thing.

Hahaha I'm pretty sure Knicks fans were thinking of this going back to 2008. But I agree, I don't see the difference.

NYKnicksAllDay
06-19-2011, 10:35 PM

I could be wrong, but it seems like the OP was just curious and asked a valid question. Doesn't means they care more about the 2012 NBA Draft than next season or this coming draft.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 10:38 PM
They can trade future picks on draft night.

yes... but draft night happens WAY before we would get to a point where we would know anything about next year's draft order.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
With your attitude it sounds like YOU don't deserve a team, shut your mouth.
:eyebrow:

An absolute hard cap with no exceptions that would force teams over the cap (ahem...Miami) to trade off players in order to get under the cap like what happened in hockey.
Haha... ya Miami and 20 other teams...

imagesrdecievin
06-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Hey - it would create parity. I just answered an easy question that you implied was impossible.

In my mind - the NFL is the model for parity. Baseball is the model for favoring franchises that are willing to spend. Basketball is a weird hybrid that likes to pretend like there is parity. I feel like the NBA should just swing one way or the other (and it looks like the owners have a direction in mind which they will likely get).

daleja424
06-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Hey - it would create parity. I just answered an easy question that you implied was impossible.

In my mind - the NFL is the model for parity. Baseball is the model for favoring franchises that are willing to spend. Basketball is a weird hybrid that likes to pretend like there is parity. I feel like the NBA should just swing one way or the other (and it looks like the owners have a direction in mind which they will likely get).

Really? parity? Which big name FAs move to BUffalo, Cleveland, Detrot, Jacksonville, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, etc/

Good players still tend to leave those places and still tend to congregate in the best NFL cities...

And the NFL is a different beast, b/c they really limit player movement with heavy RFA rules...

Cal827
06-19-2011, 11:35 PM
I would think that it would go based on this years results.....I don't think the NHL's version of the lotto after the lock-out would work b/c obviously the game is more dependent on a few players, rather than the whole team. Also people would be pissed if Miami or LA or OKC or another stacked team just got another star to add.

Really? parity? Which big name FAs move to BUffalo, Cleveland, Detrot, Jacksonville, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, etc/

Good players still tend to leave those places and still tend to congregate in the best NFL cities...

And the NFL is a different beast, b/c they really limit player movement with heavy RFA rules...

I'm not denying that some people might leave due to the city, but what have any of those teams done in the past few years? I'm a Bills fan and they have sucked throughout the decade, Cleveland isn't much better, Jacksonville is very inconsistent, Carolina is too, Tampa and KC seem like they are starting to get out of the lower tier of teams right now.

I think that if a team makes the right small moves, and develops a winner, they'll become a potential buyer in the respective sport. For example, some people say that nobody wants to come to Toronto, but when I look back at our team history, we were able to resign 2 of our 3 stars when they became free agents (Carter/Bosh, of course at separate times, lost T-Mac). The resignings came after we won 47 or so games, and got to the second round/won the atlantic division. It was the GMs that made the mistakes, that ended up with them leaving.

I think that the ability of getting two prospects (or 3 depending on team picks in the drafts) with great potential (especially knowing that next draft is going to be strong) and being able to develop around them for 4 years should make some of these bottom dwellers into contenders or at least playoff teams..... if not, then the team should probably do something about their GMs lol