PDA

View Full Version : Jump shooting: step behind the 3pt line or step toward the basket?

IDB Josh M
06-19-2011, 05:18 PM
The player is wide open, but cannot drive to the basket because the defense is setting and there is only enough time to take one step, which is it? Behind the 3point line, or towards the basket?

I would say towards the basket. It might be just 2 points, but its a closer shot, and a better average in making it means more points as there are likely more opportunities during the game, during the season, and during one's career to make that shot.

SugeKnight
06-19-2011, 05:37 PM
step in because its a more natural rhythm. but it really depends on who the shooter is.

THE GIPPER
06-19-2011, 05:40 PM
depends on the player

IDB Josh M
06-19-2011, 06:15 PM
step in because its a more natural rhythm. but it really depends on who the shooter is.

depends on the player

I'm well aware that this does not apply to Ray Allen, Reggie Miller or Steve Kerr. But my question is, what philosophy do you teach young basketballers, or for your team.

For example, Ron Ron is probably a great 3pt shooter, but guess what. Right now, he should step forward and not step back.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-19-2011, 06:17 PM
step back jumper ftw.

210Don
06-19-2011, 06:21 PM

KnicksR4Real
06-19-2011, 06:28 PM
step in

kozelkid
06-19-2011, 06:35 PM
There's a reason the long 2 is the worst shot in basketball. The difference in difficulty from a long 2 to a 3 is not enough to give up the chance at an extra point.

desertrat218
06-19-2011, 06:35 PM
What's the score of the game and how much time is left?

0nekhmer
06-19-2011, 07:01 PM
a long two is the worst shot selection. depending if the player can knock down a three, i would choose the step back.

sf-fanatic
06-19-2011, 07:08 PM
I would start my motion to try to dunk the ball.

Just kidding..

I would just call a timeout and probably turn it over on the inbound tbh.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 07:16 PM
There's a reason the long 2 is the worst shot in basketball. The difference in difficulty from a long 2 to a 3 is not enough to give up the chance at an extra point.

Agreed.

From 16-23 feet... the NBA average is 0.84 points per shot

From three point land... the NBA average is 1.00 points per shot

The average NBA player is better off shooting a 3 pointer than a long two.

Jay
06-19-2011, 07:20 PM

Boom. My thoughts exactly.

IDB Josh M
06-19-2011, 08:24 PM
What's the score of the game and how much time is left?

It doesn't matter, its more of a philosophical question.

desertrat218
06-19-2011, 08:41 PM
It doesn't matter, its more of a philosophical question.

The hell if it doesn't matter. You take the higher percentage shot closer in if you have a lead. If you trail and time is starting to run short you have to go for the 3. The game situation absolutely has everything to do with my answer.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 08:42 PM
The hell if it doesn't matter. You take the higher percentage shot closer in if you have a lead. If you trail and time is starting to run short you have to go for the 3. The game situation absolutely has everything to do with my answer.

and yet I just gave you that stat that contradicts you... The three pointer is a far more efficient scoring method than the long two.

desertrat218
06-19-2011, 08:53 PM
and yet I just gave you that stat that contradicts you... The three pointer is a far more efficient scoring method than the long two.

If you really understand math then you also understand that you have a higher chance of getting nothing if you back up for the 3. Understand what higher percentage shot means? It means you have a greater chance of not getting zero points.

gwrighter
06-19-2011, 08:55 PM

those stats are skewed though.

players usually take long 2's in games at the end of the shot clock or if they don't have range(Derozan).

the 3 is a shot that is utilized more in the flow of the offense. the long 2 is usually a desperation attempt at the basket.

but it really depends on the situation whether or not i would step in or step back.

personally i would step back, because i am short, so shooting from longer distances opens up the floor for my teammates & also gives me more time to get my shot off.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 08:59 PM
those stats are skewed though.

players usually take long 2's in games at the end of the shot clock or if they don't have range(Derozan).

the 3 is a shot that is utilized more in the flow of the offense. the long 2 is usually a desperation attempt at the basket.

but it really depends on the situation whether or not i would step in or step back.

personally i would step back, because i am short, so shooting from longer distances opens up the floor for my teammates & also gives me more time to get my shot off.

...and players never shoot bad threes with the shot clock running down... :p

seriously though... whatever the situation, over the course of the game you will score more points (on average) shooting three pointers every time than you will score shooting long twos.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 09:00 PM
If you really understand math then you also understand that you have a higher chance of getting nothing if you back up for the 3. Understand what higher percentage shot means? It means you have a greater chance of not getting zero points.

The long two is higher percentage...yes... but it is less efficient scoring tool... as the stat shows.

Mauersota
06-19-2011, 09:03 PM
If I'm down by just one point with only 2 seconds left in the game step in, just about any other situation I take a step back unless doing so gives a closing defender from behind/alongside a easy chance to block my shot.

blastmasta26
06-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Personally, I never step back on jumpers, I usually step forward or do a jab step and fade away. But if I was advising a player on what to do or something, I would say step back for the three.

kozelkid
06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
The long two is higher percentage...yes... but it is less efficient scoring tool... as the stat shows.

Sure, but if it's tie game or you are even down 1 and you get the last shot, then it makes more sense to take the higher % shot which is obviously closer than farther away...

That's really the only instance I can think of such a scenario though and I think that's what he's getting at.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Sure, but if it's tie game or you are even down 1 and you get the last shot, then it makes more sense to take the higher % shot which is obviously closer than farther away...

That's really the only instance I can think of such a scenario though and I think that's what he's getting at.

Yup... that would be the one exception... but I am speaking about averages.

Sure it is even possible to hit a halfcourt shot to win a game once in a while... but over the course of forming an average... it wouldn't be advisable.

I am speaking, like you were before, about the average play...

desertrat218
06-19-2011, 09:33 PM

I think you are reading far too much into the stats. Break it down more, I would bet cash money that the more time on that shot clock the higher percentage of that shot going in...because it wasn't thrown up in desperation.

daleja424
06-19-2011, 09:37 PM
I think you are reading far too much into the stats. Break it down more, I would bet cash money that the more time on that shot clock the higher percentage of that shot going in...because it wasn't thrown up in desperation.

again... I was simply looking at the averages. If you have better data Id be happy to look at it... but as far as I know there isnt anywhere to get league wide stats on shot type included desperation factor...

I am trying to be rational with my answer here and the stats point to 3 pointers working out better than long twos over the course of time.

Jamiecballer
06-19-2011, 09:59 PM
this is sort of an idiotic question honestly.

the step back 3 is the worst shot in basketball. it's poor rhythm, poor shot selection and probably results in the worst % shot in all of basketball.

Chronz
06-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Depends on the shooter, time/score.

Aapox
06-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Step backs aren't really out of rhythm if you do them a lot.

LakersMaster24
06-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Id take the two, I just feel more comfortable stepping forward and pulling up.

Yanks All Day
06-19-2011, 11:40 PM
If the shooter has great balance with his shot, then take the 3. If he has to fade away or to the side, then just step into the 2.

KingPosey
06-19-2011, 11:50 PM
if a player is on the 3 point line and can either step back or step a little forward and shoot, why would he step forward and take a LONG 2? Thats the worst shot in basketball.

IDB Josh M
06-20-2011, 02:31 AM
Alot of people are adding alot of unnecessary and wrong assumptions. They automatically assume that stepping forward means that they're taking a long two, or they're stepping on the three point line. The question is simply asking, you're wide open to take a jump shot, and you have enough time to take either a step forward to be closer to the basket, or step backward beyond the three point line.

If you want to add variables, you can say that the shooter is taking a big enough step forward to go into mid-range territory, or as we've seen in MANY situations in the NBA, take a big step back and find yourself stepping out of bounds.

Anyways, those who answered and cited statistics, those are some good reasons to step back even if I don't agree.

John Walls Era
06-20-2011, 02:42 AM
Three.

Kyben36
06-20-2011, 02:48 AM
depends, if your behind the line, a foot, or ahead of the line a foot, depends on how much better shooter you are from a foot ahead, if it makes a 10% diference, i still think you take the outside shot, becuase for every shot you make, you get 1 more point then you would otherwise, for example

you shoot 40% from 2, you take 10 shots, you make 8 points,

You shoot 30% from 3, take 10 shots, you get 9 points. if you do the math, the outside shot should be better, but it depends on how much of a diference it makes on the shooter.

RapOZo
06-20-2011, 10:49 AM
3>2 -_-