PDA

View Full Version : Knicks, T-Wolves Discussing Trade Involving Douglas, Flynn

fadedmario
06-19-2011, 05:16 PM
The Knicks have had preliminary discussions with the Minnesota Timberwolves about a trade for point guard Jonny Flynn.

No formal deal is in place, but the Knicks are debating whether Flynn, the sixth overall pick of the 2009 draft would be a viable option to back up Chauncey Billups for at least one season. Flynn has become expendable now that the Wolves have signed Spanish guard Ricky Rubio, who was taken one pick ahead of Flynn.

Toney Douglas would likely be the player traded for Flynn. However, Douglas is coming off major shoulder surgery, which in theory would make him tough to deal. But Flynn is a similar medical risk. The 6-foot guard out of Syracuse had hip surgery last July and was limited to 53 games in his second year, not including a stint in the D-League.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/06/19/2011-06-19_knicks_target_backup_point_guard_could_deal_ton ey_douglas_to_minnesota_for_jonny.html?r=sports%2F basketball&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2

shep33
06-19-2011, 05:24 PM
I actually think Douglas>Flynn. Better shooter easily

allSUAVE
06-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Alan Hahn shot the Rumor down

THE GIPPER
06-19-2011, 05:41 PM

i agree. i guess if it would happen solely based on flynn's potential/athleticism.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-19-2011, 05:47 PM
no!!

xabial
06-19-2011, 05:58 PM
i dont want Flynn.

210Don
06-19-2011, 06:00 PM
flyn on the knicks would be cool

KnicksR4Real
06-19-2011, 06:01 PM
idk. i do hate douglas tho

koreancabbage
06-19-2011, 06:02 PM
if I were the Wolves - HELL YEA. they really want that SG spot locked down before the season starts.

if I were the Knicks - WTF GTFO.

believeinNYK
06-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Ew

Slimsim
06-19-2011, 06:13 PM
would minny give us the 20 pick in the draft ?

iamsteel
06-19-2011, 06:17 PM
And why would the wolves want Douglas?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-19-2011, 06:21 PM
flyinn sucks.

TO Rapz
06-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Knicks get: Calderon (Perfect D'Antoni player)
Raptors get: Douglas.

Salary dump. :D

Khalifa21
06-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Give us the #20 pick and i'd be all for it.

HouRealCoach
06-19-2011, 06:42 PM
^^^+1

LA_Raiders
06-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Flynn can develop behind big shot.

NYKSpiritBomb
06-19-2011, 06:56 PM
johnny flynn, saw that kid throughout his time in SU, that cat can ****ing ball

VillaMaravilla
06-19-2011, 06:56 PM

i like calderon good player

iliketurtles24
06-19-2011, 07:02 PM
No!! and its spelled flynn, not flyn or flyinn

knickfan33
06-19-2011, 07:35 PM

knicks dont need douglas.... they need someone who drives to baket... this would be a great deal for knicks

knickfan33
06-19-2011, 07:55 PM
knicks start next season with flynn at PG and "kito" benson at C.... its on like donkey kong.

AI4MVP
06-19-2011, 07:57 PM
such a good trade for the wolves. Douglas would be perfect for there bench

Hawkeye15
06-19-2011, 07:59 PM
this may help both teams. Flynn needs a fresh start, and would be much better in that offense with 2 scorers to defer to. Douglas would be a nice combo guard off the bench who can score, and start for chunks of time if there are injuries.

Win-win for both sides. Flynn will be better next year, this was a wasted season for him. I personally don't think he has the ability to run a team in the slightest, but Billups will get the most out of him learning wise, and Flynn wouldn't be asked to run a team. Just do small things

Jewelz0376
06-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Never thought I'd see so many trade threads involving the twolves

Hawkeye15
06-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Never thought I'd see so many trade threads involving the twolves

1. The consensus #2 pick is a player similar to one they already have
2. The Wolves have made it known they are willing to listen to any and all offers aggressively
3. Common sense would dictate that the Wolves already have a ton of young talent. Adding another 20 year old to the mix does what?
4. The media is the ones reporting these left and right

It makes plenty of sense really. Now, none of these rumors will come to light until Draft night, and every GM involved in these rumors sees who the Cavs select #1.

danniboi168
06-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Noooo dont do it knicks!

knickfan33
06-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Noooo dont do it knicks!

come on man.... the knics have enough shooters...they need a player who can drive to the basket, collapse the D, and then kick it out to melo/amare.... douglas just stands around the ouside trying to get outside shot.... knicks dont need that..

this deal would be great for the knicks.

SeoulBeatz
06-19-2011, 08:12 PM
I know that Knicks fans love Douglas because he's a gritty, NYC type player.

But Flynn is a far better PG prospect for your future even though he has been struggling. When he's playing at his best, he's on a completely different planet than Douglas.

pedsdmd
06-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Fair trade but as a Knick Fan I like TD more

blastmasta26
06-19-2011, 09:13 PM
I rarely see the Wolves play to be honest, so I'm not sure of Flynn's potential. I'm skeptical of this trade, I don't know whether Flynn or Douglas would be better going forward.

PlezPlayDKnicks
06-19-2011, 09:40 PM
come on man.... the knics have enough shooters...they need a player who can drive to the basket, collapse the D, and then kick it out to melo/amare.... douglas just stands around the ouside trying to get outside shot.... knicks dont need that..

this deal would be great for the knicks.

We have 2 scoring stars. When teams clamp down who are our shooters exactly. Shawnee Williams free agent, Walker is streaky.. Outside of Billups I trust no one to consistently knock down a jumper.. No to Flynn. Tony has great stretches of solid shooting. We can't rely on our 2 stars to do everything. JF isn't even a good floor general either.

MSG34
06-19-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm all for this trade. It'd give us a quality back up PG who has a lot of potential to excel in our system and learn from Billups.

A fresh-new start could just be what he needs. Flynn was one of the top prospects just 2 years ago.

PlezPlayDKnicks
06-19-2011, 09:43 PM
this may help both teams. Flynn needs a fresh start, and would be much better in that offense with 2 scorers to defer to. Douglas would be a nice combo guard off the bench who can score, and start for chunks of time if there are injuries.

Win-win for both sides. Flynn will be better next year, this was a wasted season for him. I personally don't think he has the ability to run a team in the slightest, but Billups will get the most out of him learning wise, and Flynn wouldn't be asked to run a team. Just do small things

Sorry Hawk I disagree.. I'd prefer not to gamble with a more expensive player who doesn't really fill a need. Especially with the uncertainty of the Cba a cheap young talent who can shoot is the better bet than Flynns upside.

jeter 2
06-19-2011, 09:52 PM
if I were the Wolves - HELL YEA. they really want that SG spot locked down before the season starts.

if I were the Knicks - WTF GTFO.

For this reason, the Knicks should only do it if the TWolves add the 20th pick and take Balkman. It would make a lot more sense to both teams. I think Billups would help Flynn like he did with Lawson. Also, the Knicks would be able to put Billups at SG at times if Flynn succeeds in New York.

PlezPlayDKnicks
06-19-2011, 09:54 PM
For this reason, the Knicks should only do it if the TWolves add the 20th pick and take Balkman. It would make a lot more sense to both teams. I think Billups would help Flynn like he did with Lawson. Also, the Knicks would be able to put Billups at SG at times if Flynn succeeds in New York.

Now that makes more sense...

KnicksR4Real
06-19-2011, 09:56 PM

i like this

AddiX
06-19-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't want Flynn handling the ball for my team. He offers nothing the Knicks need IMO.

29$JerZ
06-19-2011, 10:48 PM
Flynn would be useless in NY. Can't do what Toney brings to NY.
Bad trade but I think this has been shot down already

Hawkeye15
06-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Sorry Hawk I disagree.. I'd prefer not to gamble with a more expensive player who doesn't really fill a need. Especially with the uncertainty of the Cba a cheap young talent who can shoot is the better bet than Flynns upside.

visit the Wolves board over the course of the season. I am simply trying to sell him here. Flynn sucks, and will always suck.

Hope my stance is clear. The Wolves win any trade in which a warm body who can play minutes comes back in return.

Hawkeye15
06-19-2011, 10:55 PM
The Wolves probably won't include the #20 pick along with this trade, they are simply going to peel Flynn off in any way possible. If the Knicks happen to be the culprit, so be it.

Crackadalic
06-19-2011, 11:01 PM
The knicks forum is completely split on this trade. The draft needs to come soon

NYKnicksAllDay
06-19-2011, 11:04 PM
If they'd take Balkman back and throw in a pick, I'd be for it. Other than that, no thanks.

jeter 2
06-19-2011, 11:11 PM
The Knicks should trade Douglas for Brandon Jennings. Douglas and #17 pick for Jennings and 2012 Bucks pick lol.

MSG34
06-19-2011, 11:14 PM
He's played less than 2 seasons and he's getting killed for not being able to run a team. That's unbelievable. I'd do this trade.

He needs a fresh start. Billups is the perfect mentor. NY is the perfect place for him.

Worst case scenario we get a back up PG best case we got our PG of the future.

29$JerZ
06-19-2011, 11:16 PM
The Wolves probably won't include the #20 pick along with this trade, they are simply going to peel Flynn off in any way possible. If the Knicks happen to be the culprit, so be it.

Which is why trading Toney makes no sense. It's pretty clear Flynn is done in Minnesota and his value is at an all time low. Toney is actually a solid player compared to Flynn so this trade is lopsided. If more were involved I could understand but this makes zero sense for NY as stands. Makes a ton of sense for Minny obviously.

jeter 2
06-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Which is why trading Toney makes no sense. It's pretty clear Flynn is done in Minnesota and his value is at an all time low. Toney is actually a solid player compared to Flynn so this trade is lopsided. If more were involved I could understand but this makes zero sense for NY as stands. Makes a ton of sense for Minny obviously.

Exactly, why should the Knicks should trade one of our quality bench guys for a guy who might not play. It doesn't really make sense for the Knicks to take that risk, unless his potential is mind blowing.

John Walls Era
06-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Wasn't Flynn voted the worst defensive starter 2 years ago?

FriedTofuz
06-19-2011, 11:35 PM

Why would the knicks want to aquire calderon when they are trying to aquire CP3, dwight howard, and deron williams.

smith&wesson
06-19-2011, 11:49 PM
douglas >> flynn

Punk
06-19-2011, 11:53 PM

That would be great....If cap space didn't matter.

MSG34
06-20-2011, 12:01 AM
Exactly, why should the Knicks should trade one of our quality bench guys for a guy who might not play. It doesn't really make sense for the Knicks to take that risk, unless his potential is mind blowing.

It makes sense if we draft a SG who can provide scoring off the bench or even start because Toney doesn't really have a position, he really is an undersized 2 guard.

Then Toney's replaced and we have Flynn who is an actual PG that desperately needs a change of scenery and could wind up becoming the player he's supposed to be because we really are the perfect spot for him at this stage in his career.

Hopefully we could buy a pick for a big man later as well.

PrettyBoyJ
06-20-2011, 12:09 AM
I hope we dont do this deal.. I'd rather take Ridnour

PatsSoxKnicks
06-20-2011, 12:13 AM
Wasn't Flynn voted the worst defensive starter 2 years ago?

And considering Douglas is one of the few good Knick defenders, I don't really like this trade. Not to mention the fact that Douglas is a better shooter.

danniboi168
06-20-2011, 12:17 AM
i like douglas and hes basically our entire bench, why trade him!?

fadedmario
06-20-2011, 12:20 AM
I think it's to early to write off Flynn.

jeter 2
06-20-2011, 12:28 AM
It makes sense if we draft a SG who can provide scoring off the bench or even start because Toney doesn't really have a position, he really is an undersized 2 guard.

Then Toney's replaced and we have Flynn who is an actual PG that desperately needs a change of scenery and could wind up becoming the player he's supposed to be because we really are the perfect spot for him at this stage in his career.

Hopefully we could buy a pick for a big man later as well.

He doesn't even play for the TWolves. You are saying that the Knicks should take Flynn who may just sit on the bench. I would need at least a pick to do the trade. If anything, the Knicks should trade Douglass and their pick for Jennings.

Nate David+ Co.
06-20-2011, 02:25 AM
That would be a deal I'd Love^

Chronz
06-20-2011, 03:46 AM
He's played less than 2 seasons and he's getting killed for not being able to run a team. That's unbelievable. I'd do this trade.

He needs a fresh start. Billups is the perfect mentor. NY is the perfect place for him.

Worst case scenario we get a back up PG best case we got our PG of the future.

Worst case scenario, Flynn is out the league within years and Douglas becomes a top flight reserve.

But yeah I don't think its an awful trade

knickfan33
06-20-2011, 06:18 AM
We have 2 scoring stars. When teams clamp down who are our shooters exactly. Shawnee Williams free agent, Walker is streaky.. Outside of Billups I trust no one to consistently knock down a jumper.. No to Flynn. Tony has great stretches of solid shooting. We can't rely on our 2 stars to do everything. JF isn't even a good floor general either.

have you seen how stagnent the offence gets with douglas and billups.... the knicks need a pg who is a threat to take it to the basket.... if defences have to worry about the paint it will open melo and amare up.... as is the knicks are allergic to paint, toney and billups are great shooters but they are not what we need right now... i think this trade would be great for us, finally someone who can get in paint an disrupt the defence, and i would love to see chauncey in a jason terry like role.