PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Draft Strategy

orlandij
06-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Wouldn't it make the most sense for the Cavs to draft Williams knowing they have #4. They are working out Knight and if he turns out to be just as good as Irving then they could risk it hoping he is still there at #4. There isn't another player like Williams in the draft and there are a lot of pgs available that I think all have great potential. At # 2 they know the Wolves aren't taking a guard and that would leave Utah taking Irving leaving them Knight.

If wolves keep #2 then I think this makes the most sense for them or if Wolves do trade it to a team looking to get Williams. Thoughts anyone? They could screw up all draft strategies and trades leading up to it by making that move. I think it would make for a very interesting draft night :)

FlakeyFool
06-19-2011, 11:00 AM
When you suck *** you draft BPA, therefore its Irving. Plus Kanters going to be available at 4. Irvin/Kanter > Williams/knight

king4day
06-19-2011, 11:06 AM
I don't think either Knight or Irving would be there at 4 anyway. Take Irving and you're practically assured Kanter will be there.

Bscanosu21
06-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Minnesota, if they keep the pick, will take whoever CLE doesn't with the second choice http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6676088

JasonJohnHorn
06-19-2011, 11:28 AM
The Cavs have two PGs right now, and the league has great depth at PG. I think drafting big is the best option, because considering how good Jamison, Hickson and Varajoa are, and that they are all bigs, getting two rookies that play in the fornt court might seem like a bad idea, but essentiually they have bigs to trade and 90% of the leagues will trade a small guy for a big in a heart beat. You can never have too many bigs.

PGs, the league is just so deep, and even so, the two teams in the finals this year, and none of the teams that have won titles since Isiah Thomas was on the Pistons have won with a top-five PG, the PG positions really isnt as hard to fill out as some people might think. Avery Johnson, Derrick fisher, Tony Parker, Kidd, Billups, White Chocolate, Rondo. None of these guys were considered to be at the top of the league when they won (though Rondo's game has greatly improved since Boston one the title, he was considered a liability by many the year Boston won).

Bigs are the hardest things to come by, so stock up while you can, it will give you more flexibility to trade in the future.

tcav701
06-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Every decade or so the league transforms into a different positions league. There was the time of the bigs, then the time of wing players/shooters. Over the past 3 years or so the NBA has turned into a PG driven league. That being said, take Irving at #1 and Kanter at #4.

m26555
06-19-2011, 11:43 AM
When you suck *** you draft BPA, therefore its Irving. Plus Kanters going to be available at 4. Irvin/Kanter > Williams/knight
I think Williams is BPA.

Jsoul101
06-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Funny how people keep thinking the wolves won't take another pg..
theres something called trades..
they can sell irving to other teams for better things back
Cavs should just take Irving then Kanter rather than risk and regret

Arch Stanton
06-19-2011, 11:49 AM
I think the Cavs will probably take Irving at 1. But because they have that 4th pick too they want to get as much value with both picks. And that's part of the reason they're not revealing their intentions (unlike 2003 w/ LeBron). I think the Cavs won't reveal their intentions so they can keep their options open until the last minute. I think if they could figure out a way to get Irving and Williams they'd pull the trigger. But even if Minny doesn't take Williams I'm pretty sure Utah will. I think in the end it'll be Irving and Valanciunas.

kntresistheheat
06-19-2011, 01:12 PM
I have a feeling that the cavs are going to trade their pick and get Rudy Gay!

theheatles
06-19-2011, 01:47 PM
i just don't see them drafting enes kanter, varejao is making $8,000,000 a yr for the next 4 yrs...i think they wind up with kyrie/williams via trade or williams/knight

FriedTofuz
06-19-2011, 01:53 PM
There is already a thread concerning the cavs choice of pick here in this nba forum . It would make more sense to do what your saying, but utah may draft knight.

Cromedome
06-19-2011, 02:00 PM
I HOPE the Wolves take another PG...for the simple fact that they always screw with teams who need a PG.

uncleben989
06-19-2011, 02:00 PM
there hasnt been this much chatter about the cavs since the last time you kno who played there.

dhopisthename
06-19-2011, 02:28 PM
I don't think either Knight or Irving would be there at 4 anyway. Take Irving and you're practically assured Kanter will be there.

I personally think the jazz take kanter at 3 since koc has long looked for a big with kanters size and skill and his workout went really well with the jazz

LA_Raiders
06-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Cant wait to see what the Lakers are going to do with 4-2nd rounders...

When is the Draft by the way???

Khalifa21
06-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Take Irving with #1 and Kanter with #4... A big/little, inside/outside, 1/2 punch to build around.

They're probably gonna have another top 5 pick next year in a stacked draft so their rebuilding is gonna be a lot quicker than expected.

Draft Barnes or Sullinger next year and they'll have a very talented young core.

Blandy
06-19-2011, 10:20 PM
kanter wont be available at #4 (he will go #3 with the jazz)
the cavs will take irving with #1 and will take someone like jonas valancius who is like kanter with the #4 pick

driz
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
They're going to trade one of the picks. IMO

Yanks All Day
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Irving has to go 1. He has a definite position. Williams is an in between player who they're not sure yet if he's a 3 or 4 in the NBA. That's a probable mismatch that won't be in his favor very often. Brandon Knight is not as good as Kyrie Irving. The drop off between the first and second best PGs is much bigger than a lot of people want it to be.

gaughan333
06-20-2011, 02:49 AM
I like williams a lot, but he's a tweener who can't play defense at either position. B-Easy 2.0

Kyben36
06-20-2011, 03:08 AM
if the cavs take williams, I think it will be a big mistake, I just dont like players who are pf/sf combo players, they never transition well, becuase most of them trived off of their post games, but dont have the size in the nba to do so.

I hope the cavs take Irving, but if they dont, and take williams, I could see Knight being there,

1st Williams Cavs
2nd- not PG, just dont see them drafting another PG, it would be funny, but not likley,
3rd- traded for Irving IMO, jazz like to make the smart moves, and this would be one.
4th, last pg available.

gaughan333
06-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Irving will go 1 or 2. You can trade him if you draft him

dodie53
06-20-2011, 11:44 AM
take the B.P.A.

valade16
06-20-2011, 01:05 PM
there hasnt been this much chatter about the cavs since the last time you kno who played there.

He's actually called "He who must not be named"...

If your the Cavs you draft best player available. Messing up other guys' strategies is only when you have a solid foundation on which to capitalize from their misfortune, something the Cavs don't have.