PDA

View Full Version : Who wouldn't be doing squat in the NBA if

NetsPaint
06-18-2011, 08:30 PM
carrying and traveling was enforced? Who's game wouldn't be as good? Who wouldn't even be in the league?

gwrighter
06-18-2011, 08:31 PM
everybody would be in the league still, there would just be less fans.

210Don
06-18-2011, 08:36 PM
it is enforced

NetsPaint
06-18-2011, 08:37 PM
it is enforced
:confused:

KingPosey
06-18-2011, 08:50 PM
everyone. The game has changed. Every single player does it.

KingPosey
06-18-2011, 08:51 PM
it is enforced

they pick and choose when to enforce it. Its pretty much to show it is still a rule.

desertrat218
06-18-2011, 09:08 PM
it is enforced

No, they used to enforce it but now they let almost everyone get away with it.

LTBaByyy
06-18-2011, 09:08 PM
He would still be the best player in the NBA

But Lebron carries and travels alot if you watch the Heat play very closely

godolphins
06-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Agree, he's good for 2-4 travels/carries a game :laugh2:

ManRam
06-18-2011, 09:13 PM
LeBron is the only player in the league that does anything wrong, including this.

Sadds The Gr8
06-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Lebrick

sventhedog
06-18-2011, 09:26 PM
oh my. if this happened, the heat wouldn't make the finals. this means we don't get to see lebron choke. that would be very sad for nba fans.

Cal827
06-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Lebron would post @ Boston Game 6 2010 numbers, on a consistent basis lol

Any offensive coach or assistant coach might not be in the league, b/c they would end up ripping their hair out once they see that their team averages like 24 turnovers per game lol

I think that most of the players would still be in the league though

COOLbeans
06-18-2011, 09:29 PM
Lebrick

dnewguy
06-18-2011, 09:43 PM
i'll have to go with Jason Terry and JJ Barea....ridiculously horrible players kept in the NBA simply because of rules. JJ Barea would be useless in college where hard knock defense is played. The NBA actually allows crap players to look good.........they call them crafty.

hornetsfansydne
06-18-2011, 10:15 PM
First thing - travelling and carry are enforced!!
Let me explain a bit about advantage/disadvantage
If LeBron/Westbrook/your favourite player is on a fast break and takes 3 steps before dunking with no one around what advantage has he created?? He hasn't beaten the defense to get there so why call it and stop the game unnecessarily??
Same in the back court when the ball has been inbounded after a basket. Very few teams play full court defense so if a travel occurs there is no need for it to be called....
Now if someone travels to beat the defense and it is obvious to the CROWD that it has happened it will get called.
Here is an example the play when Kidd hit the game winner against Boston was a slight travel but in real time no one could see it, the crowd, the refs and people at home!! We only know it was a travel because of the benefit of slow motion replay. The referees dont have this luxury

How about we stop bagging the refs, it is a hard job with no thanks whatsoever... it is impossible to call everything in the game and from what I have watched they do a damn good job

knickfan33
06-18-2011, 10:34 PM
i really dont see players doing it to a severe point...

travels dont seem to be a problem...travels are called, yes they can be called more, but it would ruin the game if they called it everytime your pivot foot slid a alittle.... its almost always called on an extra step though.

as far as carries, you see the under and over hand get by a lot, but i rarely ee anyone dribble above there shoulder or anything excesive like that...

the problem with refs is there inconsistency, sometimes they call every little tap on the wrist.. other times they allow alot of conact.... basketball is a contact sport i think they should allow a little more contact and tougher play... i dont see carrys and travels being the big problem.

LTBaByyy
06-18-2011, 10:40 PM
How did I know DNEWGUY was going to mention a Mavericks player

The dude almost hates the Mavs more than 210Don

But we won a championship so you cant really bash the franchise anymore

ManRam
06-18-2011, 10:45 PM
How did I know DNEWGUY was going to mention a Mavericks player

The dude almost hates the Mavs more than 210Don

But we won a championship so you cant really bash the franchise anymore

But seriously...how is it any different than you mentioning a Heat player?

gaughan333
06-18-2011, 10:46 PM
i'll have to go with Jason Terry and JJ Barea....ridiculously horrible players kept in the NBA simply because of rules. JJ Barea would be useless in college where hard knock defense is played. The NBA actually allows crap players to look good.........they call them crafty.

Your posts become more and more embarrassing each time i read one. You give heat fans a terrible, terrible name.

gaughan333
06-18-2011, 10:47 PM
If LeBron/Westbrook/your favourite player is on a fast break and takes 3 steps before dunking with no one around what advantage has he created?? He hasn't beaten the defense to get there so why call it and stop the game unnecessarily??
Same in the back court when the ball has been inbounded after a basket. Very few teams play full court defense so if a travel occurs there is no need for it to be called....
Now if someone travels to beat the defense and it is obvious to the CROWD that it has happened it will get called.
Here is an example the play when Kidd hit the game winner against Boston was a slight travel but in real time no one could see it, the crowd, the refs and people at home!! We only know it was a travel because of the benefit of slow motion replay. The referees dont have this luxury

How about we stop bagging the refs, it is a hard job with no thanks whatsoever... it is impossible to call everything in the game and from what I have watched they do a damn good job

It is not enforced nearly as often as it occurs and if you don't see that you are watching a different game than I am...

pd1dish
06-18-2011, 10:56 PM
if it were enforced, they would stop doing it. NBA players grew up playing high school and college (at least most of them played college) basketball, and its enforced basically 100% of the time at those levels. players understand that they can get away with it at the NBA level, so they do it.

knickfan33
06-18-2011, 11:28 PM

lmao... you mad???

i thought the heat were the best defence ever.... couldnt stop a couple undersized guards????
you got beat, get over it... now the reason th mavs won is bcause jj adn terry were getting away with travels....lol... you sound like such a bitter idiot.

EdGein812
06-18-2011, 11:31 PM
I think that's more of stereotype and league reputation than a reality. When I watch the games I don't see much traveling not being called. "Superstar" fouls are ridiculous. Some of the flopping and charging/blocking fouls are ridiculous and as difficult as it would be something needs to be done about it. One to get rid of flopping and two to make the second more distinguishable. Players kicking there legs out after shots and drawing fouls and leaning into contact to draw fouls can be ridiculous too. I honestly don't think there's a problem with traveling.

NetsPaint
06-18-2011, 11:43 PM
I think that's more of stereotype and league reputation than a reality. When I watch the games I don't see much traveling not being called. "Superstar" fouls are ridiculous. Some of the flopping and charging/blocking fouls are ridiculous and as difficult as it would be something needs to be done about it. One to get rid of flopping and two to make the second more distinguishable. Players kicking there legs out after shots and drawing fouls and leaning into contact to draw fouls can be ridiculous too. I honestly don't think there's a problem with traveling.
Ticky tack fouls, superstar calls, ridiculous flopping, all need to stop. There is a problem with traveling though. You don't need to take three steps, at all. If anything it's making players abilities regress. Let's see if they can still get away with it when they lose a lot of athleticism.

Carrying isn't enforced. Some of the carries called is kind of funny because players carry the ball just walking up the court, so it's a wonder how carries are called at all unless you go straight up And1. The right way to dribble is up and down.

Players are too athletic and have too many ball handling drills for the "entertainment" value excuse being made for them being highly lenient on it. Jason Williams didn't carry the ball (which is why he has a legit comparison to Pete Maravich with what he could do with the ball).

I'd understand it, while not agreeing with it, but I'd understand the "not wanting players to be stiff" thing, but the Pistol threw that out the window of even needing to be athletic to be exciting. If they did away with it the true exciting players would stand out.

David Stern.

John Walls Era
06-18-2011, 11:45 PM
New ways for others to make fun of Lebron... Thanks NBA forum.

knightstemplar
06-18-2011, 11:46 PM

how is lebron the best player?

jason terry averaged more points than lebron in the finals lmao
lebron averaged 17.8 ppg, the "best player" averaging that, is a joke

hornetsfansydne
06-19-2011, 12:10 AM
It is not enforced nearly as often as it occurs and if you don't see that you are watching a different game than I am...

if you read my post i explain why it is not enforced as much as it occurs.....

EdGein812
06-19-2011, 12:16 AM

You do have some good points. I don't even see that much traveling though. Honestly. Not step wise. Maybe palming though. I'm sure people think I'm an idiot but like I said I think it's more of a league reputation than a reality. I ***** about a lot of calls while watching games but traveling is just rarely one of them. That half step while picking up the dribble gets a lot of people I think. I dunno.

gaughan333
06-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Lebron is the best player because of talent, athleticism, and size. Can't base something on one series...

I don't think this necessarily needs to be a lebron bash thread. I have had this sentiment for a while now. Although, I think what pisses me off more than anything is the random times they choose to call these violations.

gaughan333
06-19-2011, 12:21 AM
You do have some good points. I don't even see that much traveling though. Honestly. Not step wise. Maybe palming though. I'm sure people think I'm an idiot but like I said I think it's more of a league reputation than a reality. I ***** about a lot of calls while watching games but traveling is just rarely one of them. That half step while picking up the dribble gets a lot of people I think. I dunno.

The one I see more than extra steps is when a player will begin to move before dribbling.

gaughan333
06-19-2011, 12:25 AM

I don't care about an explanation that it doesn't affect the game. A violation is a violation and it is not enforced as much as it occurs. I'm not arguing whether or not it should be. I am stating that it occurs more than it is called. You saying it doesn't affect the game does not make that less of a fact.

gaughan333
06-19-2011, 12:28 AM

Refs make more than 150k a season depending on experience. That is a pretty good thank you if you ask me.

NetsPaint
06-19-2011, 12:30 AM
I don't care about an explanation that it doesn't affect the game. A violation is a violation and it is not enforced as much as it occurs. I'm not arguing whether or not it should be. I am stating that it occurs more than it is called. You saying it doesn't affect the game does not make that less of a fact.
It does effect the game if several or so baskets are made because of it.

EdGein812
06-19-2011, 12:31 AM

So you like to watch games where everything is rigid and every single violation and foul is called or do you like to watch games where they let the players play and get rough and physical and go balls out and only call significant violations and fouls?

There's not a right or a wrong, but I like the second. I'd much rather watch March Madness basketball when players are extremely competitive and they just let players play than worrying about the rulebook to a "T."

Avenged
06-19-2011, 12:31 AM
Jesus Christ, can people not mention Lebron James anymore for anything or something? Every thread someones mentions Lebron their are people complaining about it.

EdGein812
06-19-2011, 12:32 AM
It does effect the game if several or so baskets are made because of it.

I don't think you got what he was saying. He was arguing against it. He thinks they don't call it enough.

EdGein812
06-19-2011, 12:36 AM
If it's an obvious violation or at a critical moment, you have to call it, otherwise, let 'em play. That's my opinion anyways cos I don't think it's a huge problem to start with. I don't think it happens as much as you guys think it does. I think the league just has a bad reputation and that plays into your thought process.

NetsPaint
06-19-2011, 12:37 AM
I don't think you got what he was saying. He was arguing against it. He thinks they don't call it enough.
I know. Just had to say it because a lot of people refuse to believe this.:laugh2:

It's not the refs either. It's the league letting them do it. They let the offense play so loose, and the defense a lot of the time aren't allowed to...play defense.

NetsPaint
06-19-2011, 12:39 AM
If it's an obvious violation or at a critical moment, you have to call it, otherwise, let 'em play. That's my opinion anyways cos I don't think it's a huge problem to start with. I don't think it happens as much as you guys think it does. I think the league just has a bad reputation and that plays into your thought process.
Well carrying happens on almost every play unless it's a fast break.

I don't like traveling either, but they do call it a lot.

gaughan333
06-19-2011, 12:42 AM
So you like to watch games where everything is rigid and every single violation and foul is called or do you like to watch games where they let the players play and get rough and physical and go balls out and only call significant violations and fouls?

There's not a right or a wrong, but I like the second. I'd much rather watch March Madness basketball when players are extremely competitive and they just let players play than worrying about the rulebook to a "T."

This is not about what I'd rather watch. That is not the point that I am making. I'm saying that if you watch a game you can tell it's not enforced as much as it occurs. Honestly, I don't care which way they called it. If they did, maybe players would learn to play that way. The biggest issue that I have is the inconsistency. Some times (players) will get called way more frequently than others.

gaughan333
06-19-2011, 12:46 AM

See I don't like this double standard. How do you know what is a critical moment at the beginning of a game? Maybe that one call or no call leads to a basket that eventually ends up making the difference in a game. This is why I don't really like the way that it is officiated. It should not be based on the time of game, who is dribbling the ball, or how obvious it is. If you are gonna call it, you gotta be consistent.

EdGein812
06-19-2011, 01:11 AM
See I don't like this double standard. How do you know what is a critical moment at the beginning of a game? Maybe that one call or no call leads to a basket that eventually ends up making the difference in a game. This is why I don't really like the way that it is officiated. It should not be based on the time of game, who is dribbling the ball, or how obvious it is. If you are gonna call it, you gotta be consistent.

Well if it's at the beginning of the game for one thing, it's not critical. I'd say with a few minutes to go in the game you start calling ticky-tack fouls, but not through the whole game. Just let the players play. If you don't like that double standard, then if I had say, I'd say don't call 'em at all. But I personally like games that are called loose as long as nothing is blatant or deciding a game.

gaughan333
06-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Not calling it at the beginning of the game can affect the outcome later. Do you not get what im trying to say here?

NetsPaint
06-19-2011, 01:56 AM
Not calling it at the beginning of the game can affect the outcome later. Do you not get what im trying to say here?
Yeah, one play could be a big dunk or something at the beginning of the game giving them momentum and the team never looks back.

gaughan333
06-19-2011, 02:29 AM
Yeah, one play could be a big dunk or something at the beginning of the game giving them momentum and the team never looks back.

Or if a team wins by 2 points, there could be instances early in the game where a team scored because of a missed call, which could have led to a game being tied or the other team winning

LA_Raiders
06-19-2011, 03:11 AM
Just remember what happened at international competition, Lebrick couldnt be in the floor for a minute without called for travel or carring. lol

LA_Raiders
06-19-2011, 03:12 AM
i really dont see players doing it to a severe point...

travels dont seem to be a problem...travels are called, yes they can be called more, but it would ruin the game if they called it everytime your pivot foot slid a alittle.... its almost always called on an extra step though.

as far as carries, you see the under and over hand get by a lot, but i rarely ee anyone dribble above there shoulder or anything excesive like that...

the problem with refs is there inconsistency, sometimes they call every little tap on the wrist.. other times they allow alot of conact.... basketball is a contact sport i think they should allow a little more contact and tougher play... i dont see carrys and travels being the big problem.

LeCrab???

LA_Raiders
06-19-2011, 03:17 AM
New ways for others to make fun of Lebron... Thanks NBA forum.

lol

blastmasta26
06-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Honestly, I don't think that any player would be hurt too much by stricter enforcement of the rules, provided it was always like that. If it was enforced suddenly, then almost all players would find it tougher offensively, but players would eventually adjust.

KnicksR4Real
06-19-2011, 10:28 AM
lebroom

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-19-2011, 10:33 AM

shouldn't you have deleted your account by now already