PDA

View Full Version : Old School Stats

JasonJohnHorn
06-18-2011, 05:32 PM
I watch NBA Classics sometimes, and I think it seems like there is enough footage to go back and update some stats. I'm not sure what percentage of games they actually have on tape, but I would like to see the NBA go back and update some stats and see how many blocks Wilt and Russel got, how many turnovers and steals some of the guards like Cousy got.

Anybody down with this? Or do you think we should just leave things as they are.

I wonder how many quadrouple-doubles some of these guys posted!

llemon
06-18-2011, 06:17 PM
I watch NBA Classics sometimes, and I think it seems like there is enough footage to go back and update some stats. I'm not sure what percentage of games they actually have on tape, but I would like to see the NBA go back and update some stats and see how many blocks Wilt and Russel got, how many turnovers and steals some of the guards like Cousy got.

Anybody down with this? Or do you think we should just leave things as they are.

We'll never know. Hell, Wilt's 100 point game wasn't even televised

dodie53
06-18-2011, 08:30 PM
so much to do,
so little time

desertrat218
06-18-2011, 08:39 PM

The game of the week on Sunday afternoon was the only time you ever saw teams from outside your local market back in the old days. I remember the 70s, other than the game of the week we might get maybe 3 Laker games on Channel 9 per month, that was it. It's an interesting idea about updating stats, but it's not possible.

ManRam
06-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Why not?

Hellcrooner
06-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Not enough footage. wich is a pity.
id love to be able to watch any random game of any random seaosn instead of only some allstars and the finals.

justOmazing
06-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Only problem is...
-the game is played sooooo differently today.
-the pool of talent they play against is now worldwide, significantly stronger and more talented.
-the stats getting updated wouldn't tell us too much about how they'd fair against today's talent. it would ALL be speculation.

Let the past be just that --- the past.

desertrat218
06-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Only problem is...
-the pool of talent they play against is now worldwide, significantly stronger and more talented.
-the stats getting updated wouldn't tell us too much about how they'd fair against today's talent. it would ALL be speculation.

I agree that the pool is now worldwide and that makes the talent pool bigger than the old days. However, they aren't any more talented now than the elite athletes of the past were. I would also point out that they need that bigger pool of talent in order to fill what is more than twice as many rosters as there were in the 60s. In other words, talent today is much more diluted than in the past because there were much fewer NBA jobs available in the past. In the old days there were bench players that are better than some of the starters of today.

Just for fun, I'd like to see all of the players of today wear some Chuck Taylors instead of their specialized Nikes and whatever other shoes they now wear.

llemon
06-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Only problem is...

So let's throw out Oscar's Triple-Double seasons, and Wilt's 50 ppg & 27 rpg seasons.

We'll start keeping stats....................starting......NOW!!!!