PDA

View Full Version : What was the Biggest Trade Mistake and/or Draft Mistake in your Franchise's History?

JordansBulls
06-18-2011, 05:02 PM
What was the Biggest Trade Mistake and/or Draft Mistake in your Franchise's History?

When I say Draft Mistake it means you past up on someone that you could have drafted.

DoMeFavors
06-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Anything Thorn drafted from 2003 to 2007
RJ for Yi and Bobby Simmons
VC for Courtney Lee, Tony Battie, and Rafer Alston

two great Net players and those players arent even here anymore, it was to free up cap for 2010 and came away with Outlaw.

the_jon
06-18-2011, 05:12 PM
You got him from us for Alonzo Mourning who wouldn't even play for us so kiss my ***. :D

proper
06-18-2011, 05:13 PM
drafting bosh instead of wade.
trading for jermaine oneal
drafting andrea bargnani

the_jon
06-18-2011, 05:14 PM
And for the Raptors, other than VC... pretty sure that would be drafting Rafael Arujo ahead of Andre Iguodala. (Although I would have taken just about anyone else)

asandhu23
06-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Trading Wilt Chamberlain in his prime for chump change.

the_jon
06-18-2011, 05:15 PM
drafting andrea bargnani
At least Andrea can shoot. Arujo can't do anything well.

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 05:17 PM
trading shaq for lamar and caron

asandhu23
06-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Too many draft mistakes to name one.

AnalyzeNShoot
06-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Suns trading away, Marion for Shaq made them go down hill imo opinion. and Letting Amare goo was a mistake as well. Trading their picks which led to the draft of Rondo and Nate.

Nets, signing Alonzo Morning has to be THE Mistake for them during their Contending years

Magic, Gosh.. Trading Gortat, taking Hedo !

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Blazer drafting bowie instead of Michael jordan, has the be the biggest mistake in draft history.

richseward79
06-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Danny Ferry!

Slimsim
06-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Blazer drafting bowie instead of Michael jordan, has the be the biggest mistake in draft history.

BINGO and then god gave them a second chance and they chose oden over Durant

Chacarron
06-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Trading Caron Butler for Kwame Brown.

questkat
06-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Anything Thorn drafted from 2003 to 2007
RJ for Yi and Bobby Simmons

two great Net players and those players arent even here anymore, it was to free up cap for 2010 and came away with Outlaw.

Kittles (8 pick) over Kobe (13 pick) and Nash (15 pick) in 1996 of course

JasonJohnHorn
06-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Too many mistakes for TO. Drafting Barngagme. Trading for Jemaine O'Neal! Bosh over Wade?

And in Detroit, drafting Darko!

kobe7ringbryant
06-18-2011, 05:39 PM

hence the proof, there is no God.

Kashmir13579
06-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Forget my franchises history, lets just talk about the horrible moves my team has made since i became a fan in 03..... seriously, where do i start?

Kashmir13579
06-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Kittles (8 pick) over Kobe (13 pick) and Nash (15 pick) in 1996 of course

I liked Kittles :laugh2:

BlondeBomber41
06-18-2011, 05:46 PM
The draft thing is kinda dumb, its all 20/20 hindsight stuff. 12 teams passed up on Kobe, 14 on Nash I believe, 8 on Dirk, etc.... thats just how the NBA works. Really the only situation where you can really be mad about that kinda stuff is if you're like the Blazers and you pass on Durant for Oden or Jordan for Bowie.

As far as trade mistake.... the one I remember the most is Raef Lafrentz for Antoine Walker. Was just an AWFUL fit for our team. Luckily the Mavs made up for that trade by eventually trading Walker for Jason Terry, who obviously has been a huge part of our franchise.

The worst free agency decision was letting Nash walk and getting nothing in return. I will always stand firm in my belief that with him we would of never won a title due to his inability to guard his own shadow, but we could of got something for him, even if it was a trade exception to use in a future deal. History shows the Mavs know how to trade and don't mind taking on money, so I think eventually if they did get one it would of turned into a pretty good piece.

llemon
06-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Trading Wilt Chamberlain in his prime for chump change.

Wilt forced both of his trades

llemon
06-18-2011, 05:57 PM
For Nets.

The Paultz and Kenon trades

Selling Julius.

Brian Taylor for Tiny trade.

Trading Bernard King (although that might have saved his life)

Drafting Dennis Hopson over Scottie Pippen

Drafting Kenny A over Deke

Montross, Jimmy Jackson for KVH trade

Trading Cassell for Marbury

Letting Stephen Jackson go.

Drafting Brandon Armstrong over Gilbert Arenas

Signing Alonzo

Buying out Deke

Trading for Carter

Resigning Carter

Drafting Antoine Wright over Granger.

I'm sure I have overlooked a few.

SeoulBeatz
06-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Drafting Larry Hughes ahead of Dirk, Pierce

Il Mago50
06-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Vince Carter for Aaron Williams, Eric Williams, Zo and two **** first rounders.

Takes the cake.

Arurjo doesn't even compare to this blunder.

Rob Babcock better stub his toe on something hard and sharp today where ever he is hiding from us Raptors fans...

Bravo95
Traded the greatest player in the history of the franchise at a time when they were one of, if not the best team in the Eastern Conference ('94), for the gutless Danny Manning. Most fans never came back after that.

Drafted Marvin Williams, who didn't even start for UNC, instead of Chris Paul or Deron Williams, even though the team clearly needed a point guard. Billy Knight (the GM at the time) later said he didn't draft CP3 because "he was too small." That and the decision to select Sheldon Williams 5th overall will haunt this franchise for a long time.

DoMeFavors
For Nets.

The Paultz and Kenon trades

Selling Julius.

Brian Taylor for Tiny trade.

Drafting Dennis Hopson over Scottie Pippen

Drafting Kenny A over Deke

Montross, Jimmy Jackson for KVH trade

Letting Stephen Jackson go.

Drafting Brandon Armstrong over Gilbert Arenas

Signing Alonzo
Buying out Deke

Signing Carter

Resigning Carter

Drafting Antoine Wright over Granger.

I'm sure I have overlooked a few.

Nothing wrong with that, he was a great signing.

asandhu23
06-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Wilt forced both of his trades

no, he didn't. The Warriors one he didn't. have you read his autobiography?

Wilt says he was traded because he was hindering Thurmond's development. Thurmond was too good of a center to play one or two minutes ( Wilt could play the whole game ). He said the GM got nothing for him because the GM was way too desperate and the whole league knew it was inevitable and they forced his hand.

it was a ******** ****ing trade because he could have got great players to surround Thurmond.

Cracka2HI!
06-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Believe it or not the Clippers really have 1 that stands out. Michael Olowakandi. We would have drafted Bibby and that would have been a fine pick. However Dirk, Pierce and VC were in that draft.

2 other unlucky draft picks were us missing out on Amare in 2002 by 1 pick and Wade in 2003 by 1 pick. Those guys were our targets and wern't expected to go as high as they did.

llemon
06-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Nothing wrong with that, he was a great signing.

Yes, he truly kicked azz as a Net, and showed his appreciation to Nets for signing him when it wasn't certain he could ever play again.

Bravo, Jason Kidd.

DoMeFavors
06-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Yes, he truly kicked azz as a Net, and showed his appreciation to Nets for signing him when it wasn't certain he could ever play again.

Bravo, Jason Kidd.

Bottom line a HOF signed with the team.

llemon
06-18-2011, 06:12 PM
no, he didn't. The Warriors one he didn't. have you read his autobiography?

Wilt says he was traded because he was hindering Thurmond's development. Thurmond was too good of a center to play one or two minutes ( Wilt could play the whole game ). He said the GM got nothing for him because the GM was way too desperate and the whole league knew it was inevitable and they forced his hand.

it was a ******** ****ing trade because he could have got great players to surround Thurmond.

SHHHH, don't tell anybody, but Wilt was always full of chit.

Wilt was dogging it it after coming off a Finals season with the Warriors. Every team knew the risk of acquiring Wilt, which is why there was so little in return in both trades. And Warriors were back in the Finals in 1967. Some kid named Rick Barry helped get the there.

PS. He didn't bang 20,000 women either.

Crackadalic
06-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Where do i begin since there so many for my team. One that blows my mind is trading two lottery picks that became Noah and Lamarcus for Eddy Chicken/McFlurry Curry

gaughan333
06-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Then we traded aldridge for tyrus thomas...

jruGGes
06-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Darko... Enough said. Poor Pistons.

JeffG20
06-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Charlotte Hornets Trading the rights to Kobe Bryant to the lakers

New Orleans trading Marcus Thornton for Carl Landry

akytola
06-18-2011, 06:56 PM
the timberwolves giving up brandon roy for the lame kid whos name i cant remember but i know dated a kardashian... ha ha ha

PhillyFinezt
06-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Where do i begin since there so many for my team. One that blows my mind is trading two lottery picks that became Noah and Lamarcus for Eddy Chicken/McFlurry Curry

That really sucks lol. I'd have to say the sixers worst draft moves are drafting Larry Hughes instead of Pierce or Dirk, and even Rashard Lewis in '98, drafting keith van hord instead of tracy mcgrady or billups in '97, drafting sefolosha instead of rondo in '06 or when pretty much everyone missed out on boozer with the 35th pick, if only the cavs still had him when they had lebron

jp611
06-18-2011, 07:09 PM
It's gotta be Sam Bowie for the Blazers

fadedmario
06-18-2011, 07:19 PM
1 word - Darko

iliketurtles24
06-18-2011, 07:40 PM
hmmm trading ray allen, trading chauncy, trading maubary, trading kg, drafting FLYNN

IDB Josh M
06-18-2011, 07:43 PM

It all turns out in the wash because the Shaq trade eventually led to the Pau Gasol trade.

joeyc77
06-18-2011, 07:47 PM
For the Sixers, besides drafting Hughes over Pierce and Dirk....

In 1993, drafting Shawn Bradley over Penny Hardaway, Jamal Mashburn or even Vin Baker

More recent, in 2008 the Sixers needed a big man and drafted Speights the next 3 players taken were Roy Hibbert, Javale McGee and JJ Hickson. Also Serge Ibaka was taken a little later as well.

llemon
06-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Charlotte Hornets Trading the rights to Kobe Bryant to the lakers

New Orleans trading Marcus Thornton for Carl Landry

SURELY, you must know the story behind the Kobe trade

JNA17
06-18-2011, 07:55 PM
hornets trade kobe for divac.
Blazers draft Howie over MJ.

The two biggest mistakes in the history of basketball and number 3 and 2 of sports of all time. #1 is the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees for a Broadway show.

Gootie42
06-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Elton Brand for Tyson Chandler

Not only did Krause get rid of a great post player, he opened up a hole that he would fill by taking Eddy Curry :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

sventhedog
06-18-2011, 09:46 PM

i'm surprised their scouts aren't in jail.

knickfan33
06-18-2011, 11:32 PM
lmao i cant even get involved in this thread... soooooo many.
in just the isiah regime alone.

JordansBulls
06-19-2011, 01:21 AM
i'm surprised their scouts aren't in jail.

:cry:

Sadds The Gr8
06-19-2011, 01:28 AM
we've had so many i can't even think

Giraffes Rule
06-19-2011, 01:40 AM
Pretty much everything related to Richard Jefferson, even if the Spurs didn't really give up anything for him.

I want to say trading Scola was a mistake, but they didn't have much choice. Certainly weren't able to bring him over, just wish they actually got something in return. I guess we'll have to see if Nando De Colo ever turns into anything (though his NBA ceiling is probably just a quality back up point guard).

brodawgs
06-19-2011, 02:15 AM
Trading Dirk Nowitzky for Tractor Traylor. Trading Ray Allen for Gary Payton (essentially). Trading Joe Smith for Rueben Patterson.

LA_Raiders
06-19-2011, 02:44 AM

he wanted out, so we did not have an option there...

Wisdom Listens
06-19-2011, 02:46 AM
I would've said the Randy Foye/Brandon Roy trade, but now that Roy's knees are ****ed and the Blazers are stuck paying his huge contract I really don't know. Maybe letting Billups get away.

k24magic
06-19-2011, 03:33 AM
The Magic:

Letting Shaq go to LA

Signing an already injured Grant Hill who at the time was a top 5 player but, broke his ankle in the playoffs against the Heat.

Trading T-Mac for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, and Kelvin Cato

Drafting Fran Vasquez back in 2005 over Danny Granger, Monta Ellis, and David Lee

Trading Trevor Ariza who just like every former Magic player has gone on to win a championship

Overpaying Rashard Lewis I'll never get over that deal 6yr 118 million dollar deal YIKES

Trading Marcin Gortat and Mickael Pietrus for Hedo Turkoglu and Jason Richardson sacrificed our best perimeter defender and the best backup center in the league gave up defense for offense.

Trading a declining Rashard Lewis for a recovering Gilbert Arenas both have bad contracts but Lewis contract expires the same year as Dwight Howard.

Every die hard Magic fan remembers these dudes drafting Jeryl Sasser, Reece Gaines, and Steven Hunter got to be the worst draft picks ever.

I could go on but, I'll stop for now.

NYKnicksAllDay
06-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Eddy Curry.

towlsmoke420
06-19-2011, 04:27 AM
kwame brown

Mane
06-19-2011, 04:31 AM
Drafting Kwame Brown

I win.

Detroitfan20
06-19-2011, 10:01 AM
drafting Darko
iverson trade

gattaca
06-19-2011, 10:30 AM
drafting bosh instead of wade.
trading for jermaine oneal
drafting andrea bargnani

At Least we got Bargs and didn't take Morrison. and like 5 teams passed on Roy. If Roy had gone #2, then picking bargs might have been a mistake. Bargnani is a PF but they have him playing Centre. That's the problem.

Bosh was a great pick and who knows if we would have done better with Wade. Detroit picked Darko over both.

C'mon man. The obvious answer is Drafting Araujo and trading Carter within the div for the williams sisters

gattaca
06-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Drafting Kwame Brown

I win.

Olowokandi. I win.

KnicksR4Real
06-19-2011, 10:34 AM
lal is the shaq trade

king4day
06-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Tradng Joe Johnson to Atlanta. I know he didn't want to return, but all we had to do was match and he woulda remained ours.

Suns win a title with JJ as our SG.

JeffG20
06-19-2011, 10:42 AM
SURELY, you must know the story behind the Kobe trade

I wont even pretend too but if its just a case of him not wanting to play in charlotte i still think its a stupid. Hate athelets that wont play for a team that drafts them.

Arch Stanton
06-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Cavs drafting Luke Jackson in 2004 at the 10th pick over Andres Biedrins, Al Jefferson, JR Smith, Jameer Nelson, Josh Smith, Kevin Martin, Tony Allen...

NBAfan4life
06-19-2011, 11:05 AM
For the the Wolves

Who knows how great Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett would of been together when they were young. This is clearly hindsight and Steph was good for a while. Kg was such an unselfish player though that having someone like Ray Allen during his time in MN would of been unbeleivable.

26 Minnesota Ndudi Ebi F Westbury Christian HS
27 Memphis Kendrick Perkins C Clifton J.Ozen HS
28 San Antonio Leandrinho Barbosa G Brazil
29 Dallas Josh Howard F Wake Forest

Those next three picks would of been light years better

You could also throw in the Joe Smith deal in that cost us draft picks as well as many other blunders

Baller1
06-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Wally Walker letting Kemp get away and all draft picks from 2004-2006 (Mouhamed Sene, Robert Swift, Mikael Gelebal, Johan Petro, etc.).

Those were all first round draft picks... Most being lottery picks. :laugh:

Tmath
06-19-2011, 12:18 PM
VC for E.Williams, A.Williams & A.Mourning :facepalm:

NYsFinest
06-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Knicks made one move that is never talked about that singlehandedly led to the worst decade in franchise history (all because that idiot Dolan didnt get along with Camby)....

Marcus Camby and Nene for Antonio Mcdyess was the worst trade they have ever made

Knicks received an injury plagued Mcdyess who never really had an impact and went on to play only 18 games in a Knick uniform (traded for Marbury). Had the Knicks kept Camby and Nene not only would they have 2 legitimate big men who would assure they win more than 20 games every year but they would have also prevented them from making their worst mistake ever.... trading for Eddy Curry, a fat lazy slob who ate away at their cap space. In turn without Eddy Curry on the books and very tradeable pieces in Camby and Nene, had the Knicks decided to make the 2010 free agency run, there would be no need for these panic trades involving picks and young talent in order to dump guys like Jeffries. The exclusion of an unmovable 12 million dollar contract would actually make it plausable for the Knicks to be a destination for 3 max free agents.... while having a better core in place than the Heat.

That one bonehead trade in the summer of 2002 has went under the radar, but I am convinced that it is what lead to the downfall of the NY Knicks.

MrfadeawayJB
06-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Trade Mistake: Pau, but its not so bad now :)

Draft mistake: Thabust, could have had Jennings, Curry, or Evans

llemon
06-19-2011, 01:27 PM
VC for E.Williams, A.Williams & A.Mourning :facepalm:

Definitely. Horrible trade for the Nets.

Tmath
06-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Definitely. Horrible trade for the Nets.

:rolleyes:

Hawkeye15
06-19-2011, 01:52 PM
I am a Wolves fan. This would be endless, so I will just pick a few

Drafting Ray Allen, than trading him for Marbury (KG/Ray would have been great)
in that same draft, the Wolves could have formed a KG/Kobe duo (championships)

As for trades, its easily the Cassell/#1 pick for Marko Jaric in a sign and trade with Jaric making stupid money.

FriedTofuz
06-19-2011, 01:54 PM
I am a Wolves fan. This would be endless, so I will just pick a few

Drafting Ray Allen, than trading him for Marbury (KG/Ray would have been great)
in that same draft, the Wolves could have formed a KG/Kobe duo (championships)

As for trades, its easily the Cassell/#1 pick for Marko Jaric in a sign and trade with Jaric making stupid money.

What happend to marko? I heard he's with adriana lim ?:speechless:

FriedTofuz
06-19-2011, 01:57 PM

I forgot about that, that made the shaq trade look worse. In essence, it was like shaq for odom and brown(Since we traded caron for brown) :mad:

Darko... Enough said. Poor Pistons.

They were already a contending team, thats why it didnt bug them that much.

FriedTofuz
06-19-2011, 02:07 PM
What/who do we blame, when our team does a bad trade/ draft choice? do we blame the GM and the scouting staff? I think a lot of the time, the draftee can become alot better if theyre in the right situation and system. There can be a extremly talented player with alot of potential, playing in a team that clashes with his talents and type of game. He may also not be recieving adequete playing time. Another player, may not be expected to have such a high ceiling as player A, but is in the right system, and is recieving enough playing time to get bettter.

papipapsmanny
06-19-2011, 02:14 PM
drafting kwame brown number one overall.

Although we did somehow get caron butler out of that... still don't get why LA did that

willsayanything
06-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Yep, that's Todd Fuller, and don't forget Chris Washburn. Heartbreaker?
Mitch Richmond out, Billy Owens in.

JordansBulls
06-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Watching the 1998 NBA Draft and realized the mistake Philly made. They took Hughes at 8th when they could have selected Dirk who was picked 9th or even Pierce at 10th. Imagine having Iverson and Dirk for a span of 10 years?

Hawkeye15
06-19-2011, 02:26 PM
What happend to marko? I heard he's with adriana lim ?:speechless:

Marko thought he was a PG is the problem. And yes, he finally hit the jackpot a few years ago. I hate him even more for it

lorenz00
06-19-2011, 02:31 PM
i aint a nets fan but i think there mistake is passing out of Kobe Bryant aka mamba!
they took that kittles guy!

For my Raptors
Inggy
Hibbert (JO TRADE)
Andrea (first pick)

and more but w/e

playmaker_41
06-19-2011, 02:33 PM
marion and banks for shaq, easily the worst trade ever
recent draft picks have been a disappointment too

llemon
06-19-2011, 02:36 PM
i aint a nets fan but i think there mistake is passing out of Kobe Bryant aka mamba!

For my Raptors
Inggy
Hibbert (JO TRADE)
Andrea (first pick)

and more but w/e

Again.....does no one know the Kobe Draft story?

slvr&blck760
06-19-2011, 02:54 PM
What was the Biggest Trade Mistake and/or Draft Mistake in your Franchise's History?

When I say Draft Mistake it means you past up on someone that you could have drafted.

I didn't know I owned a franchise. :facepalm:

Ill21
06-19-2011, 03:05 PM
anything Isiah Thomas did...:facepalm:

FriedTofuz
06-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Marko thought he was a PG is the problem. And yes, he finally hit the jackpot a few years ago. I hate him even more for it

Same here, Marko has game off the court :laugh2:

For my Raptors
Inggy
Hibbert (JO TRADE)
Andrea (first pick)

and more but w/e

Inggy? You mean igoudala? The andrea draft pick wasnt so bad, Hes only behind Rudy gay and Lamarcus aldridge. Rondo is ahead of him too, but no one could have predicted rondo to be the player that he now is.

Again.....does no one know the Kobe Draft story?

Yes! :clap:

I didn't know I owned a franchise. :facepalm: Come on , you know what the thread was asking. Jordansbulls is asking what was the biggest trade mistake that your home team's francise made.

anything Isiah Thomas did...:facepalm:

Isiah thomas may have done horrible trades, but he's done an excellent job drafting some players. He drafted damon stoudemire and Tracy Mcgrady. He even forsaw that kevin garnett would be the best player in the 1994 Draft.

topdog
06-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Oh the pain! The agony!

-Ray Allen for Marbury

-Cassell for Marko Jaric

-Roy for Foye

-Not trading Foye for A.I.

ccg34
06-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Seattle trades Scottie Pippen to Chicago for Olden Polynice. :facepalm:

JWO35
06-19-2011, 03:40 PM
The Pistons drafting Darko is the main reason their in the dumps now :pity:

Kinkotheclown
06-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Knicks made one move that is never talked about that singlehandedly led to the worst decade in franchise history (all because that idiot Dolan didnt get along with Camby)....

Marcus Camby and Nene for Antonio Mcdyess was the worst trade they have ever made

Knicks received an injury plagued Mcdyess who never really had an impact and went on to play only 18 games in a Knick uniform (traded for Marbury). Had the Knicks kept Camby and Nene not only would they have 2 legitimate big men who would assure they win more than 20 games every year but they would have also prevented them from making their worst mistake ever.... trading for Eddy Curry, a fat lazy slob who ate away at their cap space. In turn without Eddy Curry on the books and very tradeable pieces in Camby and Nene, had the Knicks decided to make the 2010 free agency run, there would be no need for these panic trades involving picks and young talent in order to dump guys like Jeffries. The exclusion of an unmovable 12 million dollar contract would actually make it plausable for the Knicks to be a destination for 3 max free agents.... while having a better core in place than the Heat.

That one bonehead trade in the summer of 2002 has went under the radar, but I am convinced that it is what lead to the downfall of the NY Knicks.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::worthy::worthy:
THANK YOU!!! I completely agree. A 19 year old 6'11" kid who was a great athlete and Camby who was a proven presence and productive player for Mcdyse, who was not even 100 percent healed from micro-fratcure surgery.
That cascaded into the horrible trades for everyone who had major issues with every draft pick we had.

(I was hoping that we could get Nene instead of Billups in that trade. Him next to Stat? sounded good to me.)

The only thing I would say to counter this concept is the date that James lorraine Dolan was given control. But since that isn't a trade it doesn't count.

But I am so happy to hear someone else say this.

Hitman21
06-19-2011, 03:48 PM
1. Taking Bowie over Jordan
2. Anyone who passed on Kobe in the draft
3. Taking Darko before melo wade bosh

JordansBulls
06-19-2011, 06:55 PM
1. Taking Bowie over Jordan
2. Anyone who passed on Kobe in the draft
3. Taking Darko before melo wade bosh

Portland wasn't in the situation for all of that.

SACNYY
06-19-2011, 07:22 PM

Kwame brought them Gasol and 2 Rings, so it was a great deal to get rid of Caron and bring in Kwame.

rsteeley91
06-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Celtics letting Chauncey Billups go

SACNYY
06-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Kings

Traded Mike Bibby for Tyronn Lue, Anthony Johnson, and some other losers.

Traded Webber for Brian Skinner and Kenny Thomas.

Traded Hedo Turkoglu in a 3 team trade to Spurs. We reciever Brad Miller. Good trade but I'd rather have had Hedo.

IDB Josh M
06-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Kwame brought them Gasol and 2 Rings, so it was a great deal to get rid of Caron and bring in Kwame.

THANK YOU!
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

mdm692
06-19-2011, 08:50 PM
Rondo, nate, manu, deng. . .all former suns picks =/

llemon
06-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Celtics letting Chauncey Billups go

McHale & TWolves letting Chauncey go.

SACNYY
06-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Rondo, nate, manu, deng. . .all former suns picks =/

Damn, really?

setman2000
06-20-2011, 03:16 AM
Taking BOTH Nene and Skita over Amare and Melo over Wade.

Sandman
06-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Knicks - should have took Ron Artest over Fredrick Weiss. Hindsight might be 20/20 but Weiss never played in the NBA, and for crying out loud Artest was from NY, went to St. Johns, and got drafted with the very next pick.

Magic - Nuts to Penny and the slew of draft picks. Could have kept CWebb and Shaq.

Sandman
06-20-2011, 03:26 AM
I think the all-time worst has to be Darko Milicic. Terrible pick in an all-time epic draft.

DETROIT WON THE DAMN CHAMPIONSHIP AFTER THAT ANYWAY

What could they have done with... anybody but Milicic? Wade or Melo, multiple titles? Bosh? Hell, what if they even took a Chris Kaman?

Bruno
06-20-2011, 04:03 AM
Everyone passed on Manu in '99. 57th pick. The Lakers selected Devean George and John Celestand before Ginboli in that draft. Not the biggest mistake, but that was a one of the greatest draft heists.

Colts2180
06-20-2011, 04:06 AM
Pacers trading Antonio Davis for the rights to Jonathon Bender(5th pick in draft). Davis was a very good backup big man and Bender was a huge bust. Then trading Al Harrington and Steven Jackson for Troy Murphy and Mike Dunlevy. Murphy turned into Collison but he still was a turd that couldnt play any defense for the years he was here. And trading our 1st rd pick in 2003 lol.

Sandman
06-20-2011, 04:06 AM
Everyone passed on Manu in '99. 57th pick. The Lakers selected Devean George and John Celestand before Ginboli in that draft. Not the biggest mistake, but that was a one of the greatest draft heists.

You're right, thats one of the all time draft heists

But hell, even the Spurs passed on him for 30 picks.

Maybe we need a partner thread

Colts2180
06-20-2011, 04:09 AM
Darko over Melo and Wade is a big one to me. Wade wasnt really known at the time but every1 knew Melo was going to be great. He just tore through the tourny with Syracuse and won a national title. How do you draft a unknown player in Darko over Melo? Kills me but I love it because I hate the Pistons lol

SACNYY
06-20-2011, 04:14 AM
The 15 teams who passed on John Stockton

JordansBulls
06-20-2011, 11:28 PM
The 15 teams who passed on John Stockton

Underrated he was.

BGeer091
06-21-2011, 12:39 AM
IMO the Knicks have a lot. However for me its this.

Draft.
Drafted Frye and Nate. I honestly wanted Bynum, and Ellis. Imagine if they had drafted them and Lee?

Also I really wanted Jru Holliday but instead we got Jordan Hill.

Trades.
Ariza + Penny for Francis
Camby Nene for McDyss and Williams

llemon
06-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Pacers trading Antonio Davis for the rights to Jonathon Bender(5th pick in draft). Davis was a very good backup big man and Bender was a huge bust. Then trading Al Harrington and Steven Jackson for Troy Murphy and Mike Dunlevy. Murphy turned into Collison but he still was a turd that couldnt play any defense for the years he was here. And trading our 1st rd pick in 2003 lol.

Guess you don't remember that Cap'n Jack had more than worn out his welcome in Indiana.

JordansBulls
06-21-2011, 12:37 PM
IMO the Knicks have a lot. However for me its this.

Draft.
Drafted Frye and Nate. I honestly wanted Bynum, and Ellis. Imagine if they had drafted them and Lee?

Also I really wanted Jru Holliday but instead we got Jordan Hill.

Trades.
Ariza + Penny for Francis
Camby Nene for McDyss and Williams

Penny was done in NY.

black1605
06-21-2011, 12:41 PM
There were reports that New Orleans offered us the number 4 pick for the number 5 pick and the number 13 pick.

We turned it down.

They land Paul, we land Felton and May.

Tarheels23
06-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Everything Rick Pitino did

miller74
06-21-2011, 12:56 PM

Oden was the right pick at the time

D-Will4Prez
06-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Drafting Kris Humphries and Kirk Snyder at 14 and 16 in 2004 over the likes of Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, J.R. Smith, Jameer Nelson, Kevin Martin, and Tony Allen.

Not getting more in return for Dominique Wilkins

Signing AK to a max deal

Not hiring somebody to club MJ.

There's not a whole lot the Jazz franchise has done to shoot themselves in the foot.

sO_cHi312
06-21-2011, 01:25 PM
in 2001 when the Bulls drafted Curry and traded to draft Chandler.

ILMindState
06-21-2011, 01:42 PM
1995 Draft when the Bulls selected Jason Caffey 1 spot ahead of Michael Finley

BullsFTW
06-21-2011, 02:04 PM
Bulls Trading Aldridge for Tyrus

JordansBulls
06-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Bulls Trading Aldridge for Tyrus

I believe because we were trying to get Garnett in a deal.

S-Dot
06-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Not the biggest, but I wanted Brandon Jennings over Jordan Hill for the Knicks in 09. We wouldnt be desperately hoping for D-Will or CP3 if Walsh would have gotten him.

bluedvlsfn13
06-23-2011, 02:02 PM
I know that they are not a franchise anymore but the worst trade possibly ever in the history of basketball was when my Charlotte Hornets traded the still impressive Kobe Byrant for Vlade Divac. I don't think any trade can top that and they still may be a franchise if they wouldn't have done a stupid thing like that.

I guess technically they are still a franchise in New Orleans now but still worst trade ever!

S-Dot
06-23-2011, 02:10 PM
I know that they are not a franchise anymore but the worst trade possibly ever in the history of basketball was when my Charlotte Hornets traded the still impressive Kobe Byrant for Vlade Divac. I don't think any trade can top that and they still may be a franchise if they wouldn't have done a stupid thing like that.

I guess technically they are still a franchise in New Orleans now but still worst trade ever!

They couldn't help that. The big mistake wasn't trading him, but drafting him in the first place. They knew they weren't going to be able to keep him. He made it known what teams he was going to play for

bluedvlsfn13
06-23-2011, 02:14 PM
They couldn't help that. The big mistake wasn't trading him, but drafting him in the first place. They knew they weren't going to be able to keep him. He made it known what teams he was going to play for

Exactly you traded a Star for Vlade Divac. Really? Either way it was still a ridiculously crappy trade for the hornets. Vlade is no longer in the NBA and Kobe has a good ten years left.

BuddhaMONK
06-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Too many mistakes for TO. Drafting Barngagme. Trading for Jemaine O'Neal! Bosh over Wade?

And in Detroit, drafting Darko!

I'm not sold on bargani being a bust yet (he did average like 20 pnts last season). With this new coach for raptors hopefully he'll start rebounding, and playing D a little bit more.

S-Dot
06-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Exactly you traded a Star for Vlade Divac. Really? Either way it was still a ridiculously crappy trade for the hornets. Vlade is no longer in the NBA and Kobe has a good ten years left.

I get what you're saying, but there were a selected group of teams Kobe wanted, and none of them probably had what it would be worth to trade him looking back at it 15 years later. That was a loaded draft. They could have picked someone else in my opinion and built around that.

Muvin West
06-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Do I even need to say the name, year, GM :speechless:

StuckeyFan313
06-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Darko...drafted
Chauncey...traded
7 coaches in the past decade....yet we still won a championship.

Makes you think what if for the Pistons.

WHAT IF we drafted Melo instead of Darko.
WHAT IF we kept Larry Brown as a coach.
WHAT IF Sheed played D on Robert Horry's 2005 finals 3 pointer
WHAT IF Sheed didn't get 235703503 technical fouls lmao

It's all good for a small market team the Detroit Pistons are pretty good history wise. We'll get better again no worries.

S-Dot
06-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Darko...drafted
Chauncey...traded
8 coaches in the past decade....yet we still won a championship.

Makes you think what if for the Pistons.

WHAT IF we drafted Melo instead of Darko.
WHAT IF we kept Larry Brown as a coach.
WHAT IF Sheed played D on Robert Horry's 2005 finals 3 pointer
WHAT IF Sheed didn't get 235703503 technical fouls lmao

It's all good for a small market team the Detroit Pistons are pretty good history wise. We'll get better again no worries.

It was highly likely you guys would have still been able to get sheed too even with Melo.

StuckeyFan313
06-23-2011, 02:38 PM
It was highly likely you guys would have still been able to get sheed too even with Melo.

Oh I wasn't saying we wouldn't have I was just listing WHAT IF things. After the Darko draft and Billups trade I kind was just ranting lol. No I loved Sheed don't get me wrong. Us losing Okur hurt though. People forget Okur got a ring with us. Which adds more of a question mark as to why we drafted Darko instead of Melo. Yeah we just drafted Prince a year before but Ham was gone soon and we knew it (no offense to Ham he was a dunking beast).

kobebabe
06-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Everything was wrong with the 1996 draft. I am sure many wish they could redo it and get KOBE as # 1 pick over AI and many others. How in the world did the scouts miss on kobe's talent ??? Thats just beyond me. Samaki walker, eric dampier all before kobe.....LOL
Here it is incase you need a reminder

http://www.nba.com/draft2002/history/history_96draft.html

spiritBstars1
06-23-2011, 02:56 PM
how about NOT talking Jordan out of retiring to play baseball!!! Come on, we had the best team and you let the best player walk to try baseball?! Imagine how those eight years would have panned out in the nba.

S-Dot
06-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Everything was wrong with the 1996 draft. I am sure many wish they could redo it and get KOBE as # 1 pick over AI and many others. How in the world did the scouts miss on kobe's talent ??? Thats just beyond me. Samaki walker, eric dampier all before kobe.....LOL
Here it is incase you need a reminder

http://www.nba.com/draft2002/history/history_96draft.html

That's really easy to say 15 years later. AI was a great #1 pick at the time, and even today. And people forget that Kobe wasnt going to go to those teams that drafted Samaki Walker and Dampier. He would have refused to play for them if they drafted him

rbuc22
06-23-2011, 03:07 PM
for the nuggets in recent memory it has to be either trading jameer nelson or drafting nikolai tsitisvili

AsfanSince99
06-23-2011, 03:10 PM
For me, it was passing on DeMarcus Cousins to select Evan Turner. Good centers are hard to come by and we could have used his size in the playoffs.

mttwlsn16
06-23-2011, 03:17 PM
drafting michael olowakandi 1st overall :facepalm:

driz
06-23-2011, 03:45 PM
DARKO....second worst draft in NBA history next to a man named Sam Bowie.

Clippersfan86
06-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Michael Olowokandi as the 1st selection in the draft ahead of Paul Pierce, Vince Carter and a few other really good players.

JordansBulls
06-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Michael Olowokandi as the 1st selection in the draft ahead of Paul Pierce, Vince Carter and a few other really good players.

Honestly I thought Vince could have been the #1 pick that year.

StuckeyFan313
06-27-2011, 05:15 PM
DARKO....second worst draft in NBA history next to a man named Sam Bowie.

You forgot Kwame Brown

JordansBulls
06-27-2011, 05:22 PM
You forgot Kwame Brown

Kwame wasn't great, but you have to remember in comparison to the guys of the draft, Bowie pick was the worst ever.