PDA

View Full Version : No NBA Summer League This Year

SA5195
06-18-2011, 03:21 PM
NEW YORK -- The NBA has told the players that it will cancel its Las Vegas Summer League for 2011. An announcement will be made during the weekend.

The Vegas Summer League, which would have run for nine days beginning in early July at Cox Pavilion and the Thomas & Mack Center, has been in operation since 2004.

Speaking after the latest round of collective bargaining negotiations, deputy commissioner Adam Silver stressed that the cancellation of the Vegas league was simply a function of the calendar, not a threat to the players.

The NBA's labor agreement expires June 30. Owners and the players association are still hundreds of millions of dollars apart on how to split revenues, and the owners are still asking for a hard salary cap system.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6674721

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Already been posted. Its a shame there is no summer league. Summer league would have given viewers the oppertunity to see the young, and recently drafted players and how they perform. Summer league would also give players who no longer play in the nba, and d league players, an oppertunity to recieve contracts by the gm's who are spectating.

Chacarron
06-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Already been posted. Its a shame there is no summer league. Summer league would have given viewers the oppertunity to see the young, and recently drafted players and how they perform. Summer league would also give players who no longer play in the nba, and d league players, an oppertunity to recieve contracts by the gm's who are spectating.

Viewers will still get the opportunity to watch the rookies in action whenever the next season begins.

SA5195
06-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Oh crap, never knew it was posted already

thekmp211
06-18-2011, 03:57 PM
it really hurts young, fringe vets who use the summer league as an opportunity to get noticed. hopefully teams will do more workouts to compensate, there are always a few guys that shine in the summer league and end up making a difference. jj barea was an undrafted free agent, for example.

Kashmir13579
06-18-2011, 04:07 PM
it really hurts young, fringe vets who use the summer league as an opportunity to get noticed. hopefully teams will do more workouts to compensate, there are always a few guys that shine in the summer league and end up making a difference. jj barea was an undrafted free agent, for example.

Exactly. Its a damn shame if you ask me.

Tom Stone
06-18-2011, 04:34 PM
I love summer league.....I'm mad as hell, being A Raptors fan, we got a young team I wanted to guys like solomon alabi play....7"1.... 80% from ft line, a great shooting stroke...just needed more time.