PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers Shopping No. 4 Pick With Baron Davis, Ramon Sessions

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 10:46 AM
http://cleveland.sbnation.com/cleveland-cavaliers/2011/6/17/2229065/nba-draft-2011-cavaliers-no-4-pick-trade-rumors-baron-davis-ramon-sessions

The Cleveland Cavaliers have plenty of flexibility heading into the 2011 NBA Draft, as they own the first and fourth overall selections. Though trading the top pick, certain to be Duke point guard Kyrie Irving, is out of the question, itís becoming clearer and clearer the Cavs are open to dealing the fourth pick on Draft night. From a chat ESPNís Chad Ford conducted Thursday afternoon:

Teams are telling me that trade talk really started picking up on Tuesday. Cavs are looking at potential deals using the No. 4 pick and either Baron Davis or Ramon Sessions.

I doubt anyone would take on a big contract like baron davis for a weak pick in this years draft. Cleveland is just coming out more and more unrealistic. First they wanted a 1st round unproctected lottery pick for hickson, and now this :laugh2:

PlezPlayDKnicks
06-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Smart move if they find a sucker to take it

Sadds The Gr8
06-18-2011, 11:23 AM
which idiot would take Baron's contract?

ne3xchamps
06-18-2011, 11:42 AM
:laugh: Wow, cleveland's front office has lost their mind. they need to seek professional help real quick like.

Too bad Al Davis doesn't own a basketball team, I'm sure that crazy old man would do a deal. :laugh2:

MagicBucsSox
06-18-2011, 11:55 AM
And this is how u reject an Amare trade for jj hickson. I'm sure Gilbert will blame LeBron for someone not taking barons deal.

Though I'd rather him than nelson

fadedmario
06-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Maybe Detroit jumps in with Richard Hamilton, Austin Daye, and the 8th pick?

Witness06
06-18-2011, 12:32 PM
The quote is in correct....Cleveland wants to trade for the second pick......or get an additional late first round pick...ex ramon sessions for a teen pick, or trade exemption and a player with the #4 for the second pick

DoJoTheSlasher
06-18-2011, 12:51 PM
And this is how u reject an Amare trade for jj hickson. I'm sure Gilbert will blame LeBron for someone not taking barons deal.

Amare still would have left for NY though.

KnicksR4Real
06-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Amare still would have left for NY though.

i doubt it if lebron was still there

KnicksR4Real
06-18-2011, 12:56 PM
maybe ny hops on this? i doubt what we would have to offer

Sixerlover
06-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Elton Brand and Baron Davis both expire in the 2012 summer. That's 33 million off the books in 1 summer. I'd trade Iguodala for Kanter and Baron.

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Elton Brand and Baron Davis both expire in the 2012 summer. That's 33 million off the books in 1 summer. I'd trade Iguodala for Kanter and Baron.

The sixers want to take on that much salary, lose a strong defensive player like igoudala, just to take kanter? :speechless:

Astronaut
06-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Baron Davis will obviously not happen...

Sessions could be a valuable bench player to a team like the Lakers..

J.J. Hickson is very athletic and young.. He's worth a Top 10-20 pick, the Cavaliers weren't trying to get like a #8 pick for Hickson, they were trying to do that with their 10M+ TPE they acquired from the LeBron "trade."

The Cavaliers aren't very high on Kanter apparently, they would rather take Jonas..

Gilbert's not the GM, he has nothing to do with the trades.. He just signs the checks, and the Cavaliers weren't refusing to package Hickson for Amar'e.. The Suns had backed out on a similar Shaq deal and left the Cavs without anyone at the deadline the year before.. That's why they traded for Jamison. They didn't want anyone to resort to that again as it looked like the Suns would back out at the worst time.. Read something besides ESPN. Also, the Cavaliers GM is now Chris Grant, not Danny Ferry who was last year.. They aren't the same guys, Ferry resigned because the team wanted to go in a different direction than he did. Both were better than Jim Paxson who made the majority of the stupid moves for the Cavs from 1998-2005.

They Cavaliers management knows what they are doing.

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Baron Davis will obviously not happen...

Sessions could be a valuable bench player to a team like the Lakers..

J.J. Hickson is very athletic and young.. He's worth a Top 10-20 pick, the Cavaliers weren't trying to get like a #8 pick for Hickson, they were trying to do that with their 10M+ TPE they acquired from the LeBron "trade."

They Cavaliers management knows what they are doing.

The Cavaliers aren't very high on Kanter apparently, they would rather take Jonas..

Hickson is not worth a lottery pick. That is not going to happen. I would consider a brown for sessions swap.

Crackadalic
06-18-2011, 01:13 PM

They actually expire the summer of 2013. Thats why people are iffy about trading for B-didy and that big contract

Astronaut
06-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Hickson is not worth a lottery pick. That is not going to happen. I would consider a brown for sessions swap.

10-20 is not a lottery pick in most instances(10-11 is), that's a mid-round pick.

The Cavaliers aren't trying to get players, they are trying to get draft picks.. It's a rebuilding team. I doubt they want Shannon again, they are the one's who drafted him in the first place. They definitely don't want Andre Iguodala, he's a valuable piece for a contender, not for someone who is rebuilding.

No matter what Dan Gilbert says, you have to presume that the Cavaliers are rebuilding, we aren't going to be a playoff team for at the very least for 2-3 years. Byron Scott even said that they were rebuilding, once Scott gets his point guard(Irving) they are set, I think they will do the same thing as they did this year, trade for a draft pick in the next draft as that one is going to be STACKED.

Daze9900
06-18-2011, 01:23 PM
maybe ny hops on this? i doubt what we would have to offer

Billups expiring would be nice. We just take on Baron till 2012 when we were going to go after Paul anyway. Also he has experience playing in a run and gun offense so it would make sense for the knicks to hop on this.

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 01:24 PM
10-20 is not a lottery pick in most instances(10-11 is), that's a mid-round pick.

The Cavaliers aren't trying to get players, they are trying to get draft picks.. It's a rebuilding team. I doubt they want Shannon again, they are the one's who drafted him in the first place.

No matter what Dan Gilbert says, you have to presume that the Cavaliers are rebuilding, we aren't going to be a playoff team for at the very least for 2-3 years. Byron Scott even said that they were rebuilding, once Scott gets his point guard(Irving) they are set.

10-11 is a lottery pick. 1-15 are lottery picks. 10-11 would be considered late lottery picks.

DoJoTheSlasher
06-18-2011, 01:25 PM
i doubt it if lebron was still there

If anyone but Dwyane Wade had been in Cleveland, Bron still would have left to play with Wade in Miami.

PhillyFaninLA
06-18-2011, 01:27 PM

I'd do this in a second.

I think the draft has the top 2 guys and then 3 or 4 guys of size and skill that would be be worth trading Iggy for, especially if we can keep 16 and do it.

I say we do this if Cleveland would go for it.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3v8dxlz

The Sixers get the 4th pick and keep the 16th...maybe trade a second rounder or 2 if needed to make it happen.

Then we either keep the 4th pick or try and trade with Minnesota if we can.

Sixerlover
06-18-2011, 01:38 PM
The sixers want to take on that much salary, lose a strong defensive player like igoudala, just to take kanter? :speechless:
Philly is in a youth movement, it's obvious at this point. Holiday is 21, Turner 22, Thad 22, Speights 23, Meeks 22, Hawes 23, Lou 24 etc etc. Only Brand and Iguodala are above 26 (and Noc, but he gets no time and has an expiring deal). If they can add a center who not only fits the youth movement, but is a top 5 pick in his draft, you make that deal. Losing Iguodala hurts, but gaining more time for Turner as well as a young center who's already better than Hawes and Speights is a plus. And Baron would be there to keep Elton happy so he has another guy to talk about AARP and Social Security checks with :p

They actually expire the summer of 2013. Thats why people are iffy about trading for B-didy and that big contract

That's what I meant to say '12-'13 season my mistake. Next season they will be there, and then the following season that's 33 mil in expiring contracts. I'll take the loss next season when the following year is an extreme gain. And that summer it gets even better if the contracts aren't dealt. Even though next year minus Iguodala and with Kanter we probably still would be a 7th - 8th seed in the playoffs, so nothing really changes record wise.

PhillyFaninLA
06-18-2011, 01:39 PM

It also allows Evan Turner to start. Turner showed flashes of what he will be, especially in the playoffs. He showed he could be really good, he just need to play. He is a potentially and likely better scorer than Iggy, is a better rebounded, and could be close defensively. So its not just Iggy for Kanter its Turner starting and being able to develop quicker and gain more confidence and Kanter.

The starting lineup of:

PG: Holliday
SG: Meeks or ?
SF: Turner (also would play SG at times) - with Young getting decent minutes (20 - 25 maybe)
PF: Brand
C: Kanter

Being coached by Doug Collins with Lou Williams (if he's not traded), Davis as a backup PG, Hawes as offense on the bench, and Speights if he's not traded. Is strong. Kanter gives us a big we need and some inside scoring.

That is why you trade Iggy for Kanter.

Astronaut
06-18-2011, 01:43 PM
10-11 is a lottery pick. 1-15 are lottery picks. 10-11 would be considered late lottery picks.

I stand corrected.

Anyways, no way the Cavs acquire Iggy, it would make the Sixers bright future even better.. But it would basically make the Cavs the 8 seed for the next 4 years and slow down the rebuilding process.

Crackadalic
06-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Philly is in a youth movement, it's obvious at this point. Holiday is 21, Turner 22, Thad 22, Speights 23, Meeks 22, Hawes 23, Lou 24 etc etc. Only Brand and Iguodala are above 26 (and Noc, but he gets no time and has an expiring deal). If they can add a center who not only fits the youth movement, but is a top 5 pick in his draft, you make that deal. Losing Iguodala hurts, but gaining more time for Turner as well as a young center who's already better than Hawes and Speights is a plus. And Baron would be there to keep Elton happy so he has another guy to talk about AARP and Social Security checks with :p

That's what I meant to say '12-'13 season my mistake. Next season they will be there, and then the following season that's 33 mil in expiring contracts. I'll take the loss next season when the following year is an extreme gain. And that summer it gets even better if the contracts aren't dealt. Even though next year minus Iguodala and with Kanter we probably still would be a 7th - 8th seed in the playoffs, so nothing really changes record wise.

I like Holiday but B-diddy could be a ugrade. I think Collins can get him motivated.

Davis
Turner
Young
Brand
Kanter

Not a bad starting 5 and you get to develop Tuner and Kanter more plus Holiday will truly be a top tier pg once Davis contract is over

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 01:45 PM
It also allows Evan Turner to start. Turner showed flashes of what he will be, especially in the playoffs. He showed he could be really good, he just need to play. He is a potentially and likely better scorer than Iggy, is a better rebounded, and could be close defensively. So its not just Iggy for Kanter its Turner starting and being able to develop quicker and gain more confidence and Kanter.

The starting lineup of:

PG: Holliday
SG: Meeks or ?
SF: Turner (also would play SG at times) - with Young getting decent minutes (20 - 25 maybe)
PF: Brand
C: Kanter

Being coached by Doug Collins with Lou Williams (if he's not traded), Davis as a backup PG, Hawes as offense on the bench, and Speights if he's not traded. Is strong. Kanter gives us a big we need and some inside scoring.

That is why you trade Iggy for Kanter.

You should keep some veterans. If you guys really want to trade igoudala, there are other options.

astrosmaniac
06-18-2011, 01:48 PM
would love for the rockets to try and jump in at 4 and take kanter

PhillyFaninLA
06-18-2011, 01:48 PM
You should keep some veterans. If you guys really want to trade igoudala, there are other options.

I agree we need to keep some vets. I think keeping Brand is a good idea and maybe resigning him at MLE when this contract expires. But Iggy needs to go so Turner can play and develop. Iggy also has higher value now then he ever has and will go for much more then he would have a year or 2 ago.

edit: Plus we are a young team that is a few years away. We are not winning the title next year, but depending just how good Holliday and Turner become we could become a contender in 2 or 3, so trading Iggy and getting a young player with upside will benefit us long term.

Sixerlover
06-18-2011, 01:49 PM
I like Holiday but B-diddy could be a ugrade. I think Collins can get him motivated.

Davis
Turner
Young
Brand
Kanter

Not a bad starting 5 and you get to develop Tuner and Kanter more plus Holiday will truly be a top tier pg once Davis contract is over

Nah Baron would be a bench guy. If he wants that role, if not he'd probably be bought out eventually. The PG spot is Jrue's to lose

PhillyFaninLA
06-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Nah Baron would be a bench guy. If he wants that role, if not he'd probably be bought out eventually. The PG spot is Jrue's to lose

It might be possible the that new CBA offers a one time amnesty rule. Which would allow us to buy out Baron's contract completely, but he might be a good addition for 2 years on the bench.

thekmp211
06-18-2011, 04:38 PM
here guys, draft the great jan vesely, but pay him like baron davis. oh yeah and give us one of your young players. waddaya say?!

The 916 Guy
06-18-2011, 04:46 PM

How funny would that be if Brand and Davis end up playing together after all?

That sounds like a good trade for both sides.

HouRealCoach
06-18-2011, 11:01 PM
BD, Sessions, #4 overall for Bynum, Brown, Fisher(Mentor for Irving)

Cavs build around Irving and Bynum

Lakers get much better at PG position and a chance to draft Kanter

koreancabbage
06-18-2011, 11:09 PM

thats actually not that bad for LA and they still get to keep their size upfront while improving the PG position

good for Cavs cuz the rid themselves of contracts.

lakersrock
06-18-2011, 11:11 PM

You mean Bynum for Howard?

Come on man. They wouldn't trade him for Melo, why would they trade him for crap, crap and a risk?

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 11:34 PM
How funny would that be if Brand and Davis end up playing together after all?

That sounds like a good trade for both sides.

That would be a lot of salary for one team