PDA

View Full Version : Jason Terry wants Dallas to retire his jersey

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Keep in mind before you place your vote on the pole, terry was never an All star, and is not a hall of fame talent. should his jersey still be retired?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/BDL-Interview-Jason-Terry-on-retired-jerseys-?urn=nba-wp5228

BDL caught up with JET via telephone on Friday afternoon to get a snapshot of what it's like in the hours and days after reaching the top of the mountain. Despite a scratchy, Tom Waits-y voice, Terry hung with us, talking about the experience of winning and reaching what he called "elite status." We also discussed his decision to auction off his Game 6 kicks for charity, recent rumblings that he wants the Mavericks to retire his number 31 after he hangs 'em up, finding the perfect pick-up opponent for the leader of the free world, and more.

Well, first of all, I've bought into the community — you know, I've really embraced Dallas as my own. It really feels like home. The fans, they've taken a liking to me — a genuine care for everything I do, all the hard work, all the energy I put into going out and making it real for them. You know, I'm always available; I'll sign every autograph. So it's more of a tribute to them than for me.

To see my jersey go up there … a guy that has sacrificed so much by coming to Dallas and over the years, all the hard work we put in to try to be champions, and then to be the only point guard to take their team to the Finals in '05-'06, but to finally get there this year and win it? Sixth Man of the Year two years ago — [and] should've been the last three years? (laughs) You know what? I'm very humble, I'm a hungry guy, but sometimes you got to toot your own horn. And if it means telling them, "Move over, Ro, move over, Brad Davis," then that's what you got to do.

Jason terry has had a great career with the mavericks and he has definatly impacted them in a postive way which lead to their sucess. From this article, he does make a compelling case for why the mavericks should retire his jersey. Does he derserve to have his jersey retired?

GREATNESS ONE
06-18-2011, 01:11 AM
:laugh2:

MFFL==FML
06-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Already made the thread. Did you see my thread and decide 5 minutes later to post this? lol

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 01:20 AM
Terry has played 5 years in dallas and has never scored over 20 ppg. However, he has helped them win a championship and recieved the nba's 6th man award.

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 01:22 AM
Already made the thread. Did you see my thread and decide 5 minutes later to post this? lol

No i did not. Good find though :cheers: I just noticed, your thread doesnt have a source.

Sandman
06-18-2011, 01:25 AM
He ruined it by blowing his own horn and calling himself humble in the process.

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 01:28 AM
He ruined it by blowing his own horn and calling himself humble in the process.
he tried to plead his case and tried to convince people on why hes a good person and why he deserves this.

kozelkid
06-18-2011, 01:30 AM
I think it's all relative to the team's history. Obviously if it was LA or Boston, he wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell. However, Dallas's history has not been very good. And he has been one of the better players in their history and had a major role in their first championship. I think he should and will get his number retired. Him being humble or not has no place in this. He's just being honest and I agree with him. :shrug:

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 01:33 AM
I think it's all relative to the team's history. Obviously if it was LA or Boston, he wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell. However, Dallas's history has not been very good. And he has been one of the better players in their history and had a major role in their first championship. I think he should and will get his number retired. Him being humble or not has no place in this. He's just being honest and I agree with him. :shrug:

His numbers say hes an impact player. He hasnt even once averaged 20ppg with the mavericks. However, he helped them achieve their first ever championship. He makes a good case. Dallas doesnt have a great history of winning, and thats why you really do have to consider what terry's saying

Shareeb_omac2
06-18-2011, 01:36 AM
He was a pretty big part of this. He elevated his game when they needed him most and he pretty much sealed the deal in game 6. I say yes because 20 years from now people will most likely only remember Kidd, Dirk, and Terry. Kidd and Dirk will be hall of famers so I think the least they can do is retire his jersey, which happens to be an uncommon number anyways.

FOBolous
06-18-2011, 01:38 AM
yes. Jason Terry was key to Dallas' championship run therefore his jersey deserves to be retired. without jason terry and his 27 pts in Game 6, Dallas would've never won the championship.

I personally feel like all players who helped his team earn a championship deserves to get their jersey retired by that team...whether they're a star or not. and why not? they helped. couldn't have done it without them. last time i check...basketball is a TEAM sport.

Sandman
06-18-2011, 01:39 AM
You gotta look at who makes the decisions. We should change the poll, it'd be easier than posting.

How many beers does Jason Terry need to buy for Mark Cuban for his number to be retired?

Dash
06-18-2011, 01:50 AM
Lmao

John Walls Era
No is the NBA forum insane? People actually picked yes? You retire HOF or AS.... not 6th men.

NetsPaint
I dunno. John Starks isn't gonna have his jersey retired. Like him, Jason Terry is a very important part of the team, seemed to played the same style offensively, having a jersey retired should be for the elite players. Compare Dirk to Terry, one is elite, one is not. Again, Terry if very good, we saw how he did in Game 6, but I don't know if his jersey should be retired.

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 01:54 AM
You gotta look at who makes the decisions. We should change the poll, it'd be easier than posting.

How many beers does Jason Terry need to buy for Mark Cuban for his number to be retired?

Im open to changing it, what would you recommend?

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 01:55 AM
No is the NBA forum insane? People actually picked yes? You retire HOF or AS.... not 6th men.

I agree. Unless your a hall of fame talent or at least an all star, you dont retire that player. Its amazing, terry has never once been an all star. :speechless:

SportsFanatic10
06-18-2011, 01:57 AM
no hate on terry hes a good player and played very well in the playoffs but i don't think his jersey should be in the rafters. then again its up to dallas to decide that.

Shareeb_omac2
06-18-2011, 01:57 AM
It's what the individual player means to the franchise. Based on history he and Dirk are most significant.

Jarvo
06-18-2011, 01:58 AM
:laugh:

LA_Raiders
06-18-2011, 02:00 AM
no, but they wont retire that many, so might as well retire his...

lol

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Sorry, i cant change the poll. I added on more description for people to consider before voting in my thread box

Sadds The Gr8
06-18-2011, 02:10 AM

this

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 02:11 AM
this

As great of an impact terry has had, he still deserves to his jersey retired? even though he hasnt even been an all star player?

Ebbs
06-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Honestly yes. I don't even like Terry but he is key to this team and has been a fan favorite for years.

Lim
06-18-2011, 09:09 AM
dallas' history has been nothing but pain and suffering since 1980. jet was a huge reason why the mavs got their first ship in 31 years, so i say Yes. also, brad davis has his # retired.... nuff said

Gambeezy
06-18-2011, 10:38 AM
I hate Terry so much. I even hated him when he was on the Hawks. I really love Dirk and Kidd, but I can't stand this guy. I don't think I've ever heard of a player REQUESTING or pleading his case for a franchise to retire his jersey WHILE he's still playing (or even after retirement for that matter)..You can't respect guys like that.

..The answer is a definite no in my opinion. Too early to tell.

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 10:52 AM
dallas' history has been nothing but pain and suffering since 1980. jet was a huge reason why the mavs got their first ship in 31 years, so i say Yes. also, brad davis has his # retired.... nuff said

Dallas doesnt have a history of winning a championship, and terrys impact definatly helped them suceed. You only retire players jersey's who are at least all stars.

Nighthawk
06-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Is Terry retiring?? How many years does he have left? Maybe he could pad the stats, win some more awards. Maybe the Mavs get better in the off season and win again giving him 2 rings. Until hes done playing I cant say if they should or shouldn't have his jersey in the rafters. Terry definitely isnt a lock like Dirk. But you never know.

heyman321
06-18-2011, 10:57 AM

Yes. So what if he has never been an all-star? He is probably one of the three most important members in Mavs history with Dirk and Kidd. If the JET didn't take off the runway, the Mavs don't win the championship this year. Him having his jersey retired is 10 times more likely than this becoming John Wall's era.

BadBoyPistons
06-18-2011, 10:59 AM
If Dallas win another championship then maybe he would get some strong consideration but I dunno. Something about a guy that rarely if ever starts and has to come off the bench getting his # retired seems wrong to me :confused:

Sevilla91
06-18-2011, 11:04 AM
THis is a no brainer, of course he needs to have his jersey retired. Brad Davis has his jersey retired...so duh

Sandman
06-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Im open to changing it, what would you recommend?

I was just joking. The decision is all up to Mark Cuban. He's crazy, so anything is possible.

stensley
06-18-2011, 12:48 PM
For helping Dallas win one ring, while coming off the bench? No

DoJoTheSlasher
06-18-2011, 12:53 PM
If Dallas win another championship then maybe he would get some strong consideration but I dunno. Something about a guy that rarely if ever starts and has to come off the bench getting his # retired seems wrong to me :confused:

Lamar Odom is an easy All Star and he comes off the bench.....

Yes. This is for team play not NBA history play. I think Dirk should too. He kinda deserves it.

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 01:07 PM
I was just joking. The decision is all up to Mark Cuban. He's crazy, so anything is possible.

Oh sorry! :cheers: I would have if i could though, but i cant edit the polls

ramz.n
06-18-2011, 01:08 PM
people..it says at the end of his career..hes a great leader..can be a starter in this league but knows what is best for his team..he played great against wade and lebron in the finals and throughout the other series..especially the lakers..I'm sure mark cuban will put in a good word for him.

jiggin
06-18-2011, 01:10 PM
LOL

they tell you they are retiring your jersey, you don't ask them to do it???

LOL

so backwards ***...its crazy.

allSUAVE
06-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Dirk would be Ringless without terry and vise versa.

the second most important player on the Mavs ..plus he was dirk psychologist reminding him about 06

MiamiWadeCounty
06-18-2011, 01:35 PM
What he wants is much different from what he's gonna' get...or won't get. Dirk, however, should definitely have his number retired.

jason6692
06-18-2011, 02:17 PM
dallas history isn't quite filled with the most elite players ever. so for a player of jason terry stature i don't see why not

whitemamba33
06-18-2011, 02:23 PM
If we are going to start retiring the numbers of every Jason Terry type player out there..there won't be any numbers left for people to choose.

FriedTofuz
06-18-2011, 02:51 PM
dallas history isn't quite filled with the most elite players ever. so for a player of jason terry stature i don't see why not

agreed, but terry isnt even an all star, why would they retire a player who wasnt even an allstar? :confused:

gwrighter
06-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Thats like asking if phoenix would have retired Barbosa's jersey if they won a championship.

AnalyzeNShoot
06-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Not taking it too far, but Terry was as important to the Dallas Mavs, only Championship as Pippen was to Jordan. Without terry they would have had a secondary scorer, and they would have lost those game 4, 5, and 6. PERIOD. This man backed up his talk and deserves alot of credit.

hoggin88
06-18-2011, 03:04 PM
You know what? I'm very humble.

Best part of the article. :laugh:

tyfreaks brotha
06-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Lol he's been good but not worthy of retiring his nymber.. Dirk? Sure Terry? No chance

MacFitz92
06-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Coming from a Mavericks fan, his number will deservingly be retired.

Anyone saying "No he wasn't an even an All Star!" doesn't know what they're talking about.

jimm120
06-18-2011, 03:19 PM
For helping Dallas win one ring, while coming off the bench? No

Terry was regulated to the bench a few years back but not because of deteriorated skills. He would have been a starter on mOst any team these past 5 years.

Diesel23
06-18-2011, 03:24 PM
Terry has played 5 years in dallas and has never scored over 20 ppg. However, he has helped them win a championship and recieved the nba's 6th man award.

Jason Terry has played in dallas for 7 years

Chronz
06-18-2011, 03:38 PM
yes. Jason Terry was key to Dallas' championship run therefore his jersey deserves to be retired. without jason terry and his 27 pts in Game 6, Dallas would've never won the championship.

I personally feel like all players who helped his team earn a championship deserves to get their jersey retired by that team...whether they're a star or not. and why not? they helped. couldn't have done it without them. last time i check...basketball is a TEAM sport.

Having your jersey retired is an INDIVIDUAL achievement. If you retired the jersey of every joe blow who played a role in a title there would be no numbers available to wear.

It would be like the rockets retiring sams/horry/max/elie etc..

BlondeBomber41
06-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Nobody questions the retired numbers of Rolando Blackman or Brad Davis, and Terry's numbers are comparable (or even better in the case of Davis) to those guys AND he came up HUGE in the biggest game of the franchise. With Dirk struggling it was Terry who kept the Mavs in game 6. Without that performance we probably go on to lose game 6 and you never know what could of happened in a 7th game.

Throw in the fact he is gonna be with the team for around a decade at least by the time he leaves town and what he has meant for the franchise and the city with his community work, and hell yes he deserves to have his number retired.

If he retired today I'd do it, but he still has several more years with the team. He'll only continue to add onto what he has done for the Mavs, earning his spot even more.

D-Leethal
06-18-2011, 03:55 PM
He should definitely be retired. Hes been awesome for them and the second most important player on the first championship team in franchise history. Unless you are a team like LA or Boston who have won a ridiculous amount of championships, I think multiple key players should be retired from championship teams, especially when they put in the work for a long period of time with that team. Knicks have 6 jerseys retired from the championship teams of the 70s

daleja424
06-18-2011, 05:26 PM
lol...if you have to ask for your jersey to be retired... then it shouldn't be retired...

dodie53
06-18-2011, 08:09 PM
no. sorry.

championships
06-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Terry is an idiot. Every time he opens his mouth something stupid comes out of it. He is a nice role player that comes off of the bench, That's it.

He's not even retired yet and he is already lobbying for his Jersey to be retired by the Mavs? just be quite Jason.

D-Leethal
06-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I haven't read one good reason for his jersey NOT being retired. Can anyone explain why Microwave's jersey is retired in DET??? He and Terry are extremely similar and have been integral in bringing home titles. That gets your jersey retired.

COOLbeans
06-18-2011, 09:23 PM

this opinion should defininitely improve our league by encouraging GOOD players to choose a 6th man role :rolleyes:. haha tell the bold to Dave Cowans, Kevin Mcchale and John Havlichek.

BlondeBomber41
06-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Terry is an idiot. Every time he opens his mouth something stupid comes out of it. He is a nice role player that comes off of the bench, That's it.

He's not even retired yet and he is already lobbying for his Jersey to be retired by the Mavs? just be quite Jason.

Nice role player, ha. He is far from a role player, and him coming off the bench is more about having a scorer off the bench then him not being talented enough to start.

I know he busted your Lakers *** in the 2nd round, but no reason to be pissy. He isn't lobbying for anything, he just made a statement about how he'd like to have his number retired one day. He loves the city and the franchise and that's his dream. God forbid he makes a comment or two about how he hopes to have his jersey retired one day. You act like the guy is putting out ads in the paper for it.

pd1dish
06-18-2011, 09:33 PM
he been a good, solid player who is a great guy coming off of the bench, but the only player on that team that deserves their number retired is Dirk. a perennial 6th man doesnt deserve to have his number retired.

justOmazing
06-18-2011, 09:42 PM
:cricket: <---what Terry will hear from Cuban

dnewguy
06-18-2011, 09:45 PM
LMAO........if his number is retired, they might as well retire Antoine Walker's jersey in Miami...they made basically the same contribution.

KingPosey
06-18-2011, 09:51 PM
Jason Terry has ALWAYS strived to get attention.

I remember in ATL watching the first game he wore a headband with them. He was messing with it all game long, cocking it off to the side, he FELT it. Then after the game they interviewed him and of course, he brought up his headband and it being HIS thing and his "steez" or whatever the **** he said.

Sinc then I have noticed he always wants to be pointed out.

KingPosey
06-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Terry was regulated to the bench a few years back but not because of deteriorated skills. He would have been a starter on mOst any team these past 5 years.

you mean "relegated"...?

He can play, but a 6'2 SG isnt starting on too many teams.

daleja424
06-18-2011, 11:37 PM
...and I want to win the lottery

Giraffes Rule
06-18-2011, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't, but I disagree with a lot of jersey retirements (like Avery Johnson for the Spurs).

drobe86
06-18-2011, 11:43 PM
They should... Jet means so much to the Mavs and the Dallas community.... He's never been an all star but he's played at a high level for a long time... The Jets been on the runway for a while now...

Lil Half Dead
06-18-2011, 11:46 PM
:laugh2: He thinks his stupid tattoo should be rewarded.

JordansBulls
06-19-2011, 01:18 AM
terry must be nuts.

NYMetropolitans
06-19-2011, 01:42 AM
Hell if we're retiring Terry because it's a team game why not retire Kidd and Chandler while we're at it too?

Simple answer is no...the only player from this team that will have his jersey in the rafters is Dirk.

enserio
06-19-2011, 04:11 AM
Retired jerseys are not relative to how many championships the franchise has won. Did LA retire Byron Scott? Did the Bulls retire Paxson, Hodges, or Cartwright?

Come on...NO

TheRazorboy
06-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Something about a guy that rarely if ever starts and has to come off the bench getting his # retired seems wrong to me :confused:

Mr. BadBoyPistons, Vinnie Johnson on line one.

uncleben989
06-19-2011, 02:16 PM
LMAO........if his number is retired, they might as well retire Antoine Walker's jersey in Miami...they made basically the same contribution.

you know who else should retire, you:clap:

neways. i love JT too but its no debate when you havent even been to an ASG in ur career.

hyb152
06-19-2011, 05:42 PM
I'd support it. He's been nothing but a class citizen and role model in Dallas for more than just a few years. He lost in the finals in 2006 but stayed with the team and stuck with Dirk as his wingman. Terry was the reason Dallas won game 6 of the finals. He may not have the all stars or other achievements, but no one can question his commitment and importance to the mavericks success. He's all about team and was even 6th man of the year. He's the mavericks 2nd best player and comes off the bench. Will it be done? Who knows, but I wouldnt be complaining if they retired it.

hyb152
06-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Retired jerseys are not relative to how many championships the franchise has won. Did LA retire Byron Scott? Did the Bulls retire Paxson, Hodges, or Cartwright?

Come on...NO

You cant seriously be comparing the mavericks franchise to the bulls/lakers. Who else is Dallas gonna retire? Dirk....................... okay. LA cant retire Scott because they have so many retired numbers already. Same with the bulls. But to a smaller, less-storied franchise like the Mavs, this first championship means something to them and terry was a huge part of it. I'm not saying they should or shouldnt retire it, but your reasoning by comparing it to the lakers/bulls just pissed me off.

COOLbeans
06-19-2011, 07:25 PM

is this a :laugh: joke.. Jet's always given his all to that franchise.

Ray_R
06-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Even though J Terry is one of my fav players I believe he hasnt done enough to consider his jersey retired in Dallas.

MelkyNYY
06-20-2011, 01:16 AM
roflmao

The_Pharouh
06-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Honestly,as a Mavs fan I want his jersey to be retired
not sure this is gonna happen though