PDA

View Full Version : Will/Should the Mavericks Retire Jason Terry's Jersey

MFFL==FML
06-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Will/should the Mavericks retire Jason Terry's jersey when he retires? He played a huge part in bringing a title to Dallas and he has been with the Mavericks for 7 seasons.

MFFL==FML
06-18-2011, 01:15 AM
I personally think they should.

FOBolous
06-18-2011, 01:27 AM
i feel like all players who helped his team earn a championship deserves to get their jersey retired by that team...whether they're a star or not

Sandman
06-18-2011, 01:28 AM
i feel like all players who helped his team earn a championship deserves to get their jersey retired by that team...whether they're a star or not

You retire the entire team?

Thats what the Team Photo or Sports Illustrated issue is for.

You can't run out of numbers.

Shareeb_omac2
06-18-2011, 01:31 AM
Dirk, Terry, and possibly Kidd. Out of respect.

FOBolous
06-18-2011, 01:32 AM
You retire the entire team?

Thats what the Team Photo or Sports Illustrated issue is for.

You can't run out of numbers.

anyone that contributed...yea. why not? they helped. couldn't have done it without them. last time i check...basketball is a TEAM sport.

Sandman
06-18-2011, 01:37 AM
anyone that contributed...yea. why not? they helped. couldn't have done it without them. last time i check...basketball is a TEAM sport.

I'm not hating on team. You dont retire numbers for a team. You retire numbers for those who stand out.

Hellcrooner
06-18-2011, 02:46 AM
first 80s lakers

fmain man Kareem retired.
Second man Magic Retired

Late 80s lakers,
Main man Magic retired
second man Worhty Retired.

Sixers
Main man Mo malone retired
second man Dr J Retired.

Pistons

1 thomas retired
2 dumars retired

bulls

Jordan retired
Pippen retired

rockets
Hakeem retired
Drexler retired

robinson and duncan will have both their number

Shaq and kobe will have both their number

Wade and shaq will have bith their number

Kg, Pierce and probably allen too will ahve the nyumber retired.

Kobe and pau will both have the number retired.

so yes, Dirk, terry AND kidd will have it retired.

The 916 Guy
06-18-2011, 03:03 AM
I think Terry deserves it, he's been there a long time and was a big part of their run this year.

Young2Kinsler
06-18-2011, 03:08 AM
I think they will, along with Dirk and Kidd

NYKnicksAllDay
06-18-2011, 03:21 AM
first 80s lakers

Second man Magic Retired

Late 80s lakers,
Main man Magic retired

Sixers
second man Dr J Retired.

Pistons

1 thomas retired
2 dumars retired

bulls

Jordan retired
Pippen retired

rockets
Hakeem retired
Drexler retired

Are you saying they retire Shaq's number in Miami, too? Because that won't and shouldn't happen. Neither should KG's or Allen's in Boston. Just Pierce.

blastmasta26
06-18-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm sorry, but that's stupid. First off, a team like Boston or LA would literally have no numbers left for current players and you only retire numbers for the main contributors, the standouts on the team. Retire the whole team's numbers, and suddenly you're equating DeShawn Stevenson with Dirk.

Sandman
06-18-2011, 12:14 PM
first 80s lakers

Second man Magic Retired

Late 80s lakers,
Main man Magic retired

Sixers
second man Dr J Retired.

Pistons

1 thomas retired
2 dumars retired

bulls

Jordan retired
Pippen retired

rockets
Hakeem retired
Drexler retired

Except this team wasn't like the other ones you mentioned.

Gasol will have his number retired? Questionable.

Pierce will definitely have his number retired. KG and Ray haven't been there that long, that's questionable.

Shaq won't have his number retired in Miami.

But still, the Mavs aren't like any of those teams. First off, other than Miami, all those teams are multiple champions. and the Mavs had one superstar plain & simple. Let me ask, how many numbers will be retired from the Pistons team that won in 04?

eugene
06-18-2011, 12:24 PM
J.J. Barea please! :D

PhillyFaninLA
06-18-2011, 01:07 PM
first 80s lakers

Second man Magic Retired

Late 80s lakers,
Main man Magic retired

Sixers
second man Dr J Retired.

Pistons

1 thomas retired
2 dumars retired

bulls

Jordan retired
Pippen retired

rockets
Hakeem retired
Drexler retired

The bolded names are hall of fame or borderline hall of fame players. Bolded also means they had an impact on the franchise not just a season or two they are bolded at to merit a retired number.

Retired numbers should be very hard to get. If you give to Terry you need to give one to BJ Armstrong, Derick Fisher, and Robert Horry. You need guys like Terry to win a title but they shouldn't have there number retired.

BlondeBomber41
06-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Nobody questions the retired numbers of Rolando Blackman or Brad Davis, and Terry's numbers are comparable (or even better in the case of Davis) to those guys AND he came up HUGE in the biggest game of the franchise. With Dirk struggling it was Terry who kept the Mavs in game 6. Without that performance we probably go on to lose game 6 and you never know what could of happened in a 7th game.

Throw in the fact he is gonna be with the team for around a decade at least by the time he leaves town and what he has meant for the franchise and the city with his community work, and hell yes he deserves to have his number retired.

If he retired today I'd do it, but he still has several more years with the team. He'll only continue to add onto what he has done for the Mavs, earning his spot even more.

JasonJohnHorn
06-18-2011, 05:44 PM
FAWK YEAH!!!!!

firstly, anybody comparing retiring Terry's numbers to some of the great from Boston and LA. I look at it this way. Those team's have been around for decades and won tons of titles. They have huge storied histories.

Dallas, has one title. they are still a relatively young team. Rewarding somebody who was a huge part of your teams first and only championship, yeah, he deserves it.

Dirk for sheezy! No doubt! Terry. Sure. Kidd. Sure. Marion? I'm down with that. I'm even down with Chandler getting his # retired if he stays Dallas for a few years.

allSUAVE
06-18-2011, 06:06 PM
New Jersey should

Drewlius
06-18-2011, 06:15 PM
This is a no brainer imo. I hate his guts, but the Mavs retire his jersey without even blinking imo. The Spurs retired Avery Johnson's jersey....

stejay
06-18-2011, 06:26 PM

Hahaha... the Lakers, Celtics and Spurs wouldnt have any numbers left!