PDA

View Full Version : JJ Barea

drobe86
06-17-2011, 08:53 AM
As we all know JJ Barea went on a tear throughout this season's playoffs. He becomes a Free Agent July 1, 2011 and has let it be known that he would like to be a starter in the near future. Anybody think he bolts the Mavs and becomes a starting NBA pg?

Nicolas007
06-17-2011, 08:58 AM
I see one of the options like this:

Mavs try to hold on on Barea and will make them their starting PG in the next 2 year. Kidd is 38 he's getting old. I say they hold him and make him their starting PG when Kidd retires. Of course there is the problem he might want to be a starting PG next season, which the mavs can't offer him atm.

SteBO
06-17-2011, 09:05 AM
I don't see Mark Cuban letting him go

sventhedog
06-17-2011, 09:07 AM
he certainly played great but he's more likely to get overpaid and then struggle to live up to expectations. almost all small players go down that path. ask nate, marbury, iverson.

Swashcuff
06-17-2011, 09:08 AM
There is a plethora of good young starting PGs in the NBA who are much better than JJ. IMO there are only a handful of teams he can go to and get a starting job.

All of last season's playoff teams except the Lakers are cemented at the PG position for next season. Scarememto and the Lakers are the only teams IMO where he may be given a shot to start, however his style of play is so similar to Tyreke's that they may not be able to co-exist.

ULT WARRIOR408
06-17-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm not gonna make any predictions but I like him in the 6th-man roll.I feel that his skillset is better suited coming off the bench & using his speed/quickness.I'm not sure what team would sign him as a starting PG but he is a good player none the less.Its gonna be interesting to see what happens with him.

dnewguy
06-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Score first pg, gets away with a lot of offensive calls because he's small. Overrated if you ask me.

SteBO
06-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Score first pg, gets away with a lot of offensive calls because he's small. Overrated if you ask me.
:sigh: Can you elaborate on this please? I'm very intrigued.

PlezPlayDKnicks
06-17-2011, 10:04 AM
:hi5:

:bla:

Sour grapes much???? He'd prob be the next best pg on ur roster after Chalmers...

BlondeBomber41
06-17-2011, 10:06 AM
He isn't a starting PG in the NBA, not on a contender at least. His role with the Mavs is the role he should be playing in the NBA.

LakersIn5
06-17-2011, 10:06 AM
better than fisher

ChitownSports16
06-17-2011, 10:09 AM

Every player to you not in a Heat uni is overrated!:facepalm:

drobe86
06-17-2011, 10:15 AM
He isn't a starting PG in the NBA, not on a contender at least. His role with the Mavs is the role he should be playing in the NBA.

I disagree with this. By no means do i think he's a star player but I think he could be a very effective starting pg in our league. He gets into the paint at will, and for his size he's an elite finisher at the rim. most undersized players really struggle in that regard. He can hit the 3, he's very strong, and plays off the pick and roll as well as any pg I've seen. His size will limit him some, but i believe he's a guy that can start and avg. 15 ppg and 5 assist.... He's a good.

uncleben989
06-17-2011, 10:16 AM

still got an account eh?

hes good, but can be overrated pending on the contract that he lands

Swashcuff
06-17-2011, 10:18 AM
I disagree with this. By no means do i think he's a star player but I think he could be a very effective starting pg in our league. He gets into the paint at will, and for his size he's an elite finisher at the rim. most undersized players really struggle in that regard. He can hit the 3, he's very strong, and plays off the pick and roll as well as any pg I've seen. His size will limit him some, but i believe he's a guy that can start and avg. 15 ppg and 5 assist.... He's a good.

outside of the Lakers/Kings what team do you think he'll start on?

Da Knicks
06-17-2011, 10:25 AM

I thought you where going to delete your account?:o

drobe86
06-17-2011, 10:34 AM

Well, I think he could start for Dallas for one. I think in all he was largely more effective than Jason Kidd was. Kidd is certainly getting up there in age, and while he's very effective defensively and shooting the 3 I believe that I would monitor his minutes severly. Lakers, Kings, Mavs, The Raptors, Hawks, Detroit. There aren't many but theres certainly a handful of teams I think he could start and play well for...

clehmun
06-17-2011, 10:34 AM
a bit of a defensive liability. he's a good bench player on a contender (barbosa @ suns).
he's an undersized shoot first PG, but is effective. i would use him for instant offence off the bench, but would never start him on my team full time.

Swashcuff
06-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Well, I think he could start for Dallas for one. I think in all he was largely more effective than Jason Kidd was. Kidd is certainly getting up there in age, and while he's very effective defensively and shooting the 3 I believe that I would monitor his minutes severly. Lakers, Kings, Mavs, The Raptors, Hawks, Detroit. There aren't many but theres certainly a handful of teams I think he could start and play well for...

Hinrich is a much better defensive player and PG than JJ, Stuckey just needs to find his niche and he'll be a quality starter in this league. If that niche is as a PG and not a combo guard theirs no chance JJ starts ahead of him. Toronto I could see him getting a shot at the starting PG position so I'll include him as well.

Jason Kidd was a HUGE part of Tyson Chandler's and Dirk Nowitzki's offensive success this past season. A 39 yo Kidd is a world's better floor general than JJ will ever be. Also a much better defensive player who is capable of guarding both guards AND a perfect compliment at PG to Dirk due to the fact that he is an excellent rebounding PG.

The only one of those teams that may take a shot at JJ as a possible starting prospect is the Kings. I think the Lakers will go for more of a pass first PG over JJ especially seeing that they will no longer be running a triangle offense.

twoearl
06-17-2011, 10:47 AM
As well as JJ played, let's be honest he NOT a staring PG. He is great just as he is, a 6th 7th man high energy guard off the bench. If it ain't broke don't fix it...

drobe86
06-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Hinrich is a much better defensive player and PG than JJ, Stuckey just needs to find his niche and he'll be a quality starter in this league. If that niche is as a PG and not a combo guard theirs no chance JJ starts ahead of him. Toronto I could see him getting a shot at the starting PG position so I'll include him as well.

Jason Kidd was a HUGE part of Tyson Chandler's and Dirk Nowitzki's offensive success this past season. A 39 yo Kidd is a world's better floor general than JJ will ever be. Also a much better defensive player who is capable of guarding both guards AND a perfect compliment at PG to Dirk due to the fact that he is an excellent rebounding PG.

The only one of those teams that may take a shot at JJ as a possible starting prospect is the Kings. I think the Lakers will go for more of a pass first PG over JJ especially seeing that they will no longer be running a triangle offense.

I agree with everything you said in that last post. But I'm not sure how effective Kidd is going forward. And that's the reason i'm anxious to find either A. Find another PG to take over the reigns
B. Put JJ out there and see how he holds up
I for one don't believe Kidd can play as well as he did next year at 39. I surely hope he does, but I'm not sure it happens. I hope we're able to keep barea as a guy off the bench because he was incredible. he took his game to another level this postseason. And now the fun part comes to see if it was just an aberration or if that's just the player that he has become.

LTBaByyy
06-17-2011, 11:17 AM
The only teams he can start on is

Kings
Lakers
Blazers

Dont see any other team

but as a back up PG/6th man he can on any team in the league

Swashcuff
06-17-2011, 11:20 AM
I agree with everything you said in that last post. But I'm not sure how effective Kidd is going forward. And that's the reason i'm anxious to find either A. Find another PG to take over the reigns

What have you seen out of Kidd to make you believe that he's not going to be effective going forward? Dallas was at their best when Kidd was on the floor this past season and not JJ. So suddenly his post season performances merits JJ ahead of Kidd. Kidd made more threes than anyone this past post season and with a healthy Roddy Buckets and Caron Butler he's the ideal PG to compliment those players as well.

B. Put JJ out there and see how he holds up
I for one don't believe Kidd can play as well as he did next year at 39. I surely hope he does, but I'm not sure it happens. I hope we're able to keep barea as a guy off the bench because he was incredible. he took his game to another level this postseason. And now the fun part comes to see if it was just an aberration or if that's just the player that he has become.

So because you don't believe Kidd will play as well you are just going to write him off. What facts and direct indication do you have for saying that Kidd is not going to play as well. He has already defied popular belief that players will decline significantly when getting up there in age. He is still a top 10 PG in the NBA.

Your reasoning is based on what you believe and nothing more than that. You belief will differ from most and obviously it differs from damn near every Dallas fans (I can say that due to the fact that I've seen you and your fellas Mavs fans disagree all the time). My belief is that Kidd had a much larger part to play in Dallas' run than JJ.

Swashcuff
06-17-2011, 11:20 AM
The only teams he can start on is

Kings
Lakers
Blazers

Dont see any other team

but as a back up PG/6th man he can on any team in the league

ahead of Miller? Miller was a huge part of their success without Roy this past season.

NYtilIdie
06-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Well if you keep Barea and expect him to be a starter in 2 yrs. then what do you do with Roddy? Isn't he suppose to be the future PG?

llemon
06-17-2011, 11:29 AM
There is a plethora of good young starting PGs in the NBA who are much better than JJ. IMO there are only a handful of teams he can go to and get a starting job.

All of last season's playoff teams except the Lakers are cemented at the PG position for next season. Scarememto and the Lakers are the only teams IMO where he may be given a shot to start, however his style of play is so similar to Tyreke's that they may not be able to co-exist.

Blazers are cemented at starting PG?

kozelkid
06-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Why are you still here?

Anyway, I'd like him as a Bulls fan. Obviously he wouldn't start, but he'd be a nice sixth man for us. On the other hand, I do think he could start for us as an off guard much like Mavs used him.

llemon
06-17-2011, 11:31 AM
ahead of Miller? Miller was a huge part of their success without Roy this past season.

Reported today that Blazers are shopping Andre.

Swashcuff
06-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Well if you keep Barea and expect him to be a starter in 2 yrs. then what do you do with Roddy? Isn't he suppose to be the future PG?

He's a SG.

Swashcuff
06-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Reported today that Blazers are shopping Andre.

What does that have to do with how we are looking at it right now. He's still a member of the Blazers isn't he?

llemon
06-17-2011, 11:38 AM
What does that have to do with how we are looking at it right now. He's still a member of the Blazers isn't he?

I'd say it means that we are looking at a Blazer team that no longer wants Andre Miller to be their PG.

What do think the Blazers shopping Miller suggests? That they are about to give him a contract extension?

Swashcuff
06-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Blazers are cemented at starting PG?

As it stands right now do you really see any FA PG or in house reserve taking Andre Miller's starting PG position?

Swashcuff
06-17-2011, 11:40 AM
I'd say it means that we are looking at a Blazer team that no longer wants Andre Miller to be their PG.

What do think the Blazers shopping Miller suggests? That they are about to give him a contract extension?

No.

The fact is however he is still a member of that team. Until we see otherwise JJ Barea will not be going there as a FA to take his starting position.

Sadds The Gr8
06-17-2011, 11:41 AM

delete account plz? K.

llemon
06-17-2011, 11:47 AM
As it stands right now do you really see any FA PG or in house reserve taking Andre Miller's starting PG position?

Blazers supposedly have eyes for Devin Harris. Barea wouldn't be a bad choice either.

drobe86
06-17-2011, 11:51 AM
What have you seen out of Kidd to make you believe that he's not going to be effective going forward? Dallas was at their best when Kidd was on the floor this past season and not JJ. So suddenly his post season performances merits JJ ahead of Kidd. Kidd made more threes than anyone this past post season and with a healthy Roddy Buckets and Caron Butler he's the ideal PG to compliment those players as well.

So because you don't believe Kidd will play as well you are just going to write him off. What facts and direct indication do you have for saying that Kidd is not going to play as well. He has already defied popular belief that players will decline significantly when getting up there in age. He is still a top 10 PG in the NBA.

Your reasoning is based on what you believe and nothing more than that. You belief will differ from most and obviously it differs from damn near every Dallas fans (I can say that due to the fact that I've seen you and your fellas Mavs fans disagree all the time). My belief is that Kidd had a much larger part to play in Dallas' run than JJ.

Again, i agree with just about everything you said, however you're not understanding what i'm saying. kidd will be 39 years old when the season starts. Yes he was a top 10 pg this past season. does that mean it will continue? NO. Guys get older, guys slow down, injuries begin to mount etc. And what i'm saying is at some point we have to get ready for life AFTER Jason Kidd. Kidd has had an incredible run here, and i stated from day 1 that we CLEARLY got the better end of the Kidd- harris deal. But how long do you expect this guy to play like he has? he's 39. people talked about Brett Favre the same way until 2010 and he couldn't play anymore. And minnesota went down in flames after that. Why ride kidd until the wheels fall off when we can start grooming his replacement now? I don't want to be a 20 win team because we let all of our GREAT players decline at the same time. Its time for the mavs to infuse some young youth into the rotation so that the transition from the KIDD-Dirk-Terry Era can be smooth....

D-Block21-Chito
06-17-2011, 11:51 AM
No way they let this guys go.. J-Kidd Is old as hell they need this guy. 100% chance of staying a mav

llemon
06-17-2011, 11:54 AM
No.

The fact is however he is still a member of that team. Until we see otherwise JJ Barea will not be going there as a FA to take his starting position.

And you believe that the fact that the Blazers are shopping him indicates that Portland still wants him to be part of the team. Interesting.

Just out of curiousity, have Blazers picked up Andre's team option yet?

LTBaByyy
06-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Blazers want a quick PG and they are going to get rid of Miller

Thats why I added them to the Kings and Lakers that JJ could start on

Lakerfrk
06-17-2011, 11:56 AM
If I'm the Mavs.... I don't even tell him that in 2 years he'll be the starter... because by that time, they will be looking at Deron Williams...

Barea reminds me SO SO much of Tyronne Lue with the Lakers in 2001. Had a great playoffs, and an UNBELIEVABLE finals... but when he went to the Hawks to be a starter, couldn't handle it... why? He is just too small..

There is a reason really small guys aren't starters.. Allen Iverson was a very veryyyy rare case.

Swashcuff
06-17-2011, 12:00 PM
And you believe that the fact that the Blazers are shopping him indicates that Portland still wants him to be part of the team. Interesting.

Just out of curiousity, have Blazers picked up Andre's team option yet?

Can you provide us with the link where you've seen the words "shopping Andre Miller".

At any time did I say they still want Andre Miller. I am however looking at the FACTS. And the FACTS say that Andre Miller is current a member of the Portland Trailblazers.

Tell me this. Next week when word breaks that the Raptors are fielding offers for Calderon or the Jazz are field offers for Harris would you say that Barea is a candidate for the starting position that isn't even vacant?

Why are you counting chickens before the eggs even hatch? Until a move is made the Blazers are cemented at the PG position. The is no FA on the market that will take his position away from him. He is currently a member of that franchise until a move is made.

shep33
06-17-2011, 12:04 PM
This is the problem that the Mavs have, if they sign Chandler and Barea to pretty decent sized deals, well then they aren't getting a superstar in 2012. They had the highest salary in the league this year, and Haywood's deal is a killer.

So if they sign Chandler for a similar type deal as Haywood, who knows maybe Chandler wants more cause some team is going to try and overpay him, then if they sign Barea for like 4-5 mil a year, they have to live with that team for a while.

I would say that they should focus on getting Chandler back and say bye to Barea and Butler. The Mavs are one of the older teams in the league, and their salary situation doesn't make it easy for them to pick up young blood via free agency.

drobe86
06-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Can you provide us with the link where you've seen the words "shopping Andre Miller".

At any time did I say they still want Andre Miller. I am however looking at the FACTS. And the FACTS say that Andre Miller is current a member of the Portland Trailblazers.

Tell me this. Next week when word breaks that the Raptors are fielding offers for Calderon or the Jazz are field offers for Harris would you say that Barea is a candidate for the starting position that isn't even vacant?

Why are you counting chickens before the eggs even hatch? Until a move is made the Blazers are cemented at the PG position. The is no FA on the market that will take his position away from him. He is currently a member of that franchise until a move is made.

Technically yea you're right. But in reality the run is over for Andre Miller. he's a guy that was supposed to be great but he just became solid instead. It hasn't happened yet of course, but there will be a new pg in Portland starting 2011-2012...

CHANGO
06-17-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't see Mark Cuban letting him go

This is exactly what I think. Mark Cuban loves him, and have a relationship. The public in Dallas, also loves him. The star of the team, also loves Barea. Everyone (who does not hate Dallas) loves Barea. I see him as a starting PG next season.

drobe86
06-17-2011, 12:09 PM
This is the problem that the Mavs have, if they sign Chandler and Barea to pretty decent sized deals, well then they aren't getting a superstar in 2012. They had the highest salary in the league this year, and Haywood's deal is a killer.

So if they sign Chandler for a similar type deal as Haywood, who knows maybe Chandler wants more cause some team is going to try and overpay him, then if they sign Barea for like 4-5 mil a year, they have to live with that team for a while.

I would say that they should focus on getting Chandler back and say bye to Barea and Butler. The Mavs are one of the older teams in the league, and their salary situation doesn't make it easy for them to pick up young blood via free agency.

I agree with this, but i don't think you could do that because Dirk is in the twilight of his career. if you go younger, you lose experience and the very basis that this team was built off of. in theory you say don't resign Caron, but in reality we're gonna need him if we want any chance of repeating. Chandler turned our team around but i don't think we can sign him for what he'll be worth on the open market because it handicaps our team. Barea is kind of in that same boat. I certainly think Caron Butler will be back. I think someone overpays for Chandler and I think Barea comes back to us on the cheap...

Swashcuff
06-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Again, i agree with just about everything you said, however you're not understanding what i'm saying. kidd will be 39 years old when the season starts. Yes he was a top 10 pg this past season. does that mean it will continue? NO. Guys get older, guys slow down, injuries begin to mount etc. And what i'm saying is at some point we have to get ready for life AFTER Jason Kidd. Kidd has had an incredible run here, and i stated from day 1 that we CLEARLY got the better end of the Kidd- harris deal. But how long do you expect this guy to play like he has? he's 39. people talked about Brett Favre the same way until 2010 and he couldn't play anymore. And minnesota went down in flames after that. Why ride kidd until the wheels fall off when we can start grooming his replacement now? I don't want to be a 20 win team because we let all of our GREAT players decline at the same time. Its time for the mavs to infuse some young youth into the rotation so that the transition from the KIDD-Dirk-Terry Era can be smooth....

I am just saying bro that Kidd hasn't given us any reason to believe that HE is going to decline. Conventional wisdom however tells us otherwise which is your point and I fully understand agree with you. I also agree that Dalls could use a burst of youth into their rotation, I mean you won't want them to turn into the Lakers. IMO Kidd still got 2 seasons of consistent starters play in him but I understand your point of view.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-17-2011, 12:10 PM
he certainly played great but he's more likely to get overpaid and then struggle to live up to expectations. almost all small players go down that path. ask nate, marbury, iverson.

You can say that about Nate and Marbury, but Allen Iverson played 13 years @ an extremely high level....

SoxBearsBulls!
06-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Of course he's not gonna elaborate, he's just a butt hurt hater, just take a look at his sig, he's just bitter and gives no credit to the other team, ever.:facepalm:

BTW, dnewguy, why haven't you deleted your account like you said you would if the Heat didn't win this year??

llemon
06-17-2011, 12:11 PM

CBSSports.com. "Blazers Fielding Offers for Miller".

Andre is a member of the '10-'11 Blazers, as Barea is a member of the '10-'11 Mavs.

'10-'11 season ends June 30th.

At that time Barea will be a FA, and if Blazers don't pick up Andre's team option by then, Miller will be a FA.

thapastime7
06-17-2011, 12:21 PM

really iverson a 4 time scoring champ and mvp who averaged about 25+ ppg in career ...right :facepalm::facepalm:

Swashcuff
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
CBSSports.com. "Blazers Fielding Offers for Miller".

Andre is a member of the '10-'11 Blazers, as Barea is a member of the '10-'11 Mavs.

'10-'11 season ends June 30th.

At that time Barea will be a FA, and if Blazers don't pick up Andre's team option by then, Miller will be a FA.

Thanks for justifying my point.

llemon
06-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I am just saying bro that Kidd hasn't given us any reason to believe that HE is going to decline. Conventional wisdom however tells us otherwise which is your point and I fully understand agree with you. I also agree that Dalls could use a burst of youth into their rotation, I mean you won't want them to turn into the Lakers. IMO Kidd still got 2 seasons of consistent starters play in him but I understand your point of view.

Kidd had a great Finals, but he has been in decline since his knee operation in 2004, and his numbers show it.

Still has game, but definitely on the decline.

DoJoTheSlasher
06-17-2011, 12:42 PM

Nate Robinson is complete garbage and one of the worst players I have ever seen in the NBA. He is not an NBA player.

Marbury was a complete idiot and only cared about himself, no one else.

Iverson, although a HOF, was one of the biggest ballhogs of all time and yet again, only ccared about himself.

Barea won't be Iverson but he can be a solid 14 and 6 point guard.

5ass
06-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Barrea= slightly shorter jameer nelson

mark1125
06-17-2011, 12:51 PM

I think he mad.

SwatTeam
06-17-2011, 01:21 PM
ummm can the Mav's even afford him for more than the minimum? I say this because the Mav's are over the luxury tax - by a lot. If a hard cap comes - the Mavs are collectively screwed - although I'm sure they'll grandfather some absurd contract's in. Regardless, Barea's contract cannot get grandfathered in because he is a FA - so his new contract would have to sit under the new CBA. The Mav's are lucky they won the ship this year - and good for them they deserved it after choking on monkey balls for almost a decade with teams with 50+ wins - but Cuban is an idiot when it comes to spending money. He's like a fat kid in a candy store paying $5 for the last tootsie roll even though its worth 25 cents. A hard cap would most likely see the demise of the Mavs unless Cuban reads moneyball or something. Outspending your opponents wont work anymore.

BigDFan85
06-17-2011, 01:26 PM

You are forgetting, or just don't know, that the Mavs will have around $20 million coming off the books in 2012 with the end of Jet's and Kidds' contracts. Haywood could be a starting center on a few teams so, as bad as his contract looks now, Dallas could probably trade him to free up some cap space. I see Butler signing a one year deal to prove to the league he has fully recovered from his knee injury, so thats out the window.

Also, I don't see the Mavs, as much as Cuban loves bad contracts, signing a backup point guard for $4-5 million/year. That just doesn't make sense. I'd love to keep Barea, but odds are he'll have more attractive offers else where and I wouldn't hold it against him to explore them or take them.

BK-TY
06-17-2011, 01:39 PM

Iverson and Steph struggled?? :confused:

Ezio
06-17-2011, 01:42 PM
JJ Barea backup PG to the Bulls :pray:

J4KOP99
06-17-2011, 01:45 PM
He will be a bust... he has the perfect situation right now.

Chi~TwnHawksFan
06-17-2011, 01:45 PM

this is why we'd rather not ask you...

shep33
06-17-2011, 02:10 PM
I agree with this, but i don't think you could do that because Dirk is in the twilight of his career. if you go younger, you lose experience and the very basis that this team was built off of. in theory you say don't resign Caron, but in reality we're gonna need him if we want any chance of repeating. Chandler turned our team around but i don't think we can sign him for what he'll be worth on the open market because it handicaps our team. Barea is kind of in that same boat. I certainly think Caron Butler will be back. I think someone overpays for Chandler and I think Barea comes back to us on the cheap...

Yeah, I agree with everything mentioned. Mavs are in a tricky situation. The thing with Butler though is how he'll recover from his knee injury at his age of 31, and he'll be 32 by next postseason. But who knows, the guy is a warrior, wouldn't be surprised if he was just fine off the get-go.

If you guys lost both of them (Chandler and Barea), it's not technically a bad thing. I mean it gives you guys cap room to sign a new star. Man, its a very unique situation in Dallas, hopefully it plays out for the best with you guys.

shep33
06-17-2011, 02:26 PM
You are forgetting, or just don't know, that the Mavs will have around $20 million coming off the books in 2012 with the end of Jet's and Kidds' contracts. Haywood could be a starting center on a few teams so, as bad as his contract looks now, Dallas could probably trade him to free up some cap space. I see Butler signing a one year deal to prove to the league he has fully recovered from his knee injury, so thats out the window.

Also, I don't see the Mavs, as much as Cuban loves bad contracts, signing a backup point guard for $4-5 million/year. That just doesn't make sense. I'd love to keep Barea, but odds are he'll have more attractive offers else where and I wouldn't hold it against him to explore them or take them.

Yeah but you have to remember that for 2012-2013 you guys have 5 somewhat core players signed. Dirk, Marion, Haywood, Brewer, and Beaubois. Beaubois, depending on how he turns out will have to get an extension that year if he's good (still a long time away). But Dirk, Marion, Haywood are already in their 30s. So you have 3 guys who are going to make close to 39 mill that year alone, where Dirk and Marion will be 35, and Haywood would be 33.

Trust me nobody is going to trade for Haywood at that age when he still has 27 mill left on his deal from 2012-2015. Really he's a top 10 bad contract in this league.

We still haven't incorporated Chandler's possible extension (if he decides to re-sign there).

Honestly, if I were Dallas I would not overpay for Chandler, cause if they sign him for a similar deal to Haywood's, then what happens? Sign Chandler if he doesn't ask for a ridiculous amount, but teams will throw money at him, I could see a bunch of teams offer him 8-10 mill over the next 3-4 seasons.

It's a huge risk, but we also have to remember that Chandler has had his fair share of injuries and he's an older 28 (been playing since he was 18). If they don't sign Chandler, they could possible bring in D12 and Dwill, but if they do, that becomes impossible, especially with a new CBA.

beasted86
06-17-2011, 02:51 PM
He should be a starter on the Mavs, maybe even next season they make the full time switch. He and Roddy B are the future Kidd and Terry.

beasted86
06-17-2011, 02:53 PM
If they don't sign Chandler, they could possible bring in D12 and Dwill, but if they do, that becomes impossible, especially with a new CBA.

I would love to hear the circumstances (even relatively realistic) that the Mavs get Howard & Deron.

llemon
06-17-2011, 02:55 PM
I would love to hear the circumstances (even relatively realistic) that the Mavs get Howard & Deron.

Get ready

LTBaByyy
06-17-2011, 02:55 PM
JJ
Roddy
Brewer
NEEED TO FIND A STAR PF
Chandler

Is a great future IMO, if we got a star PF

But who knows with Cuban we might get Deron Williams or somebody in a couple years

Swashcuff
06-17-2011, 02:57 PM
JJ
Roddy
Brewer
NEEED TO FIND A STAR PF
Chandler

Is a great future IMO

I disagree. Not sold on JJ and Brewer in the very least.

shep33
06-17-2011, 03:12 PM

What I meant is that there could be a possibility in getting those two, Deron is from Texas, and D12 is a southern guy himself. But still a long shot, I mean D12 mentioned Dallas as a possible destination I believe.

The point I was trying to make was that Dallas can't sign anyone realistically if they sign Chandler and Barea to decent sized deals. Huge risk not to sign Chandler, but at the same time if they do, they get stuck with a core of Dirk, Marion, Haywood, and Chandler who will be making close to 50 mill a year when all combined.

Like I said earlier, Dallas is in a pickle, it's an awesome place to play with one of the better owners in the game. But their cap situation is kinda tight long for a few years if they sign both Chandler and Barea.

I said possibility for D12 and Deron, nothing else. Either way if Dallas signs Barea and Chandler to decent sized deals, they can't afford 1 star in 2012.

beasted86
06-17-2011, 03:32 PM
What I meant is that there could be a possibility in getting those two, Deron is from Texas, and D12 is a southern guy himself. But still a long shot, I mean D12 mentioned Dallas as a possible destination I believe.

The point I was trying to make was that Dallas can't sign anyone realistically if they sign Chandler and Barea to decent sized deals. Huge risk not to sign Chandler, but at the same time if they do, they get stuck with a core of Dirk, Marion, Haywood, and Chandler who will be making close to 50 mill a year when all combined.

Like I said earlier, Dallas is in a pickle, it's an awesome place to play with one of the better owners in the game. But their cap situation is kinda tight long for a few years if they sign both Chandler and Barea.

I said possibility for D12 and Deron, nothing else. Either way if Dallas signs Barea and Chandler to decent sized deals, they can't afford 1 star in 2012.

They already have $44M guaranteed between only 6 players as it is, and that's not even including a potential first round draftee they get this summer who would have a guaranteed contract of over $1M. Even if they sign Chandler & Barea below their market value it'd make it near impossible. Even if they got Chandler to re-sign for $5M, and Barea for $2M, that would still put them over $50, and using current cap rules, the cap is only $58M. Unless Howard and/or Deron like $8M it doesn't sound even close.

Your idea that they break up a core that just won a championship isn't even relatively realistic. I was waiting to hear some Chandler & Butler for D12 then sign Deron outright type of nonsense... but instead I got that Dallas will sit on there hands and watch 2 rotation players + Caron walk away this summer and it not be a bad thing. C'mon guy, let's be somewhat realistic, and discuss possible scenarios instead of fantasy basketball.

LakersMaster24
06-17-2011, 03:35 PM

Hi.

Would you kindly SHUT THE **** UP?

Thank you. :)

shep33
06-17-2011, 04:17 PM
They already have $44M guaranteed between only 6 players as it is, and that's not even including a potential first round draftee they get this summer who would have a guaranteed contract of over $1M. Even if they sign Chandler & Barea below their market value it'd make it near impossible. Even if they got Chandler to re-sign for $5M, and Barea for $2M, that would still put them over $50, and using current cap rules, the cap is only $58M. Unless Howard and/or Deron like $8M it doesn't sound even close.

Your idea that they break up a core that just won a championship isn't even relatively realistic. I was waiting to hear some Chandler & Butler for D12 then sign Deron outright type of nonsense... but instead I got that Dallas will sit on there hands and watch 2 rotation players + Caron walk away this summer and it not be a bad thing. C'mon guy, let's be somewhat realistic, and discuss possible scenarios instead of fantasy basketball.

Listen, I never said that they would get D12 or Deron, I said there was a chance, a possibility to be players just like other teams would be.

I know it's radical to break up a couple core guys on this team, but if Dallas signs them long term, they get stuck with an old roster for years to come. Dallas this year were older than the Lakers in terms of their core. Like I saide before, if they sign Chandler and Barea for say a combined 15 mill a year, they can't sign anybody for a few years, and they are absolutely out of the running for 2012 if that happens.

If however, they don't overpay for Chandler, which is a very strong possibility... I mean teams in this day and age overpay big men. Heck even Dallas did it with Haywood. Some team will offer Chandler a huge deal, and in my opinion Dallas shouldn't be so quick to match. Remember, although Chandler is awesome, he's an older 28, guy has been playing for a decade i think, and has had injury problems. So are they willing to live with Chandler or do they go after a big name guy in 2012, cause Dirk isn't going to be there forever.

All I'm saying is that the Mavs have to be cautious about thier future. Outside of Beaubois they have little in tradeable assets.

shep33
06-17-2011, 04:18 PM

The thing with Butler is that he'll have to sign for cheap, like a 1 year deal, so that won't kill them financially. No team is going to want to sign him to a significant deal at 31 following a bad injury and not playing for a year. Honestly, IMO, I don't think they can get either D12 or Deron, because I think they're both going to the Nets... however, that's just my opinion, and D12 said he wants to be a free agent, so unless LA trades for him, he will be a FA cause Otis Smith doesn't seem as if he wants to trade him.

I know its a gamble but if they give up Barea and Chandler, they have more opportunity to sign a good player in 2012. Who knows maybe Beaubois can step up.

drobe86
06-17-2011, 04:24 PM

I understand what you are saying but I don't agree with you. Sure not resigning Chandler and Barea hurt in the short term (next year). But it allows us more flexibility to add a franchise player in 2012. (D12, Deron).... While I would like to see what Caron Butler can do next year, I'm not sure it's a neccessity. People forget he contributed absolutely NOTHING to our NBA Finals run this year. Chandler was beastly this year I agree however is he is a very old 28. He's going into his 11th year next season and while I'm not crazy about Haywood he played very well for us when he was first brought over from the Wizards. Barea was amazing in this years run, but I think Roddy Buckets ceiling is higher. You let Barea walk and give Roddy his minutes. I'm leaning towards that side of the house, and I'm sure Donnie is thinking the same.

LTBaByyy
06-17-2011, 04:28 PM
To be honest now that we won the championship, I LOVE TYSON CHANDLER but he could go if he wants to

Brendan Haywood is a good starting center!! An average back up though

But in his starts for Dallas, Haywood avg like 9.8 pts and 10 reb a game

If we didnt win the championship I think he wouldve been gone for the money (Cliff Lee)

And Mahinmi could be a good back up for Haywood if Chandler left

SOrry but we need the money to start preparing for D Will or maybe D 12 (Unlikely) also

knickfan33
06-17-2011, 05:11 PM
if mike dantoni had any say in it... the knicks would jump all over him

Trueblue2
06-17-2011, 05:29 PM

I'm sure the heat would take him, you can get away with having a score first pg if you have another facilitator along side him.

ChiTownPacerFan
06-17-2011, 05:35 PM
He's a more aggressive version of Travis Diener. I think he is better suited to come off the bench.

Trueblue2
06-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Nate Robinson is complete garbage and one of the worst players I have ever seen in the NBA. He is not an NBA player.

Marbury was a complete idiot and only cared about himself, no one else.

Iverson, although a HOF, was one of the biggest ballhogs of all time and yet again, only ccared about himself.

Barea won't be Iverson but he can be a solid 14 and 6 point guard.

If he wasn't a ballhog on the sixers they wouldn't have been nearly as good, everyone else on their roster was either declining or a role player. Who would have done the scoring if iverson didn't?

Blazers#1Fan
06-17-2011, 06:07 PM

I know the blazers are very high on him and with us looking to trade miller or get rid of his contract he could easily be a starter for us nate Mcmillan loves jj barea's playing and I think he would fit with us perfect he's quick can score drive and pass to the open man and can control the offense so there's a lot of teams who are willing to pay for him I hope we do give him a big contract I rather have him then miller because miller can do all that but he has no outside shot and isn't very quick which JJ can do all that

If Jose Calderon can be a starter and if Conley can Barea can yes Barea is undersized but he has a big game!

marj987
06-18-2011, 12:57 AM
Nah....Barea is loving Dallas......All Rick has to do is put him in the 2 position....
Kidd/Roddy/
Barea/Terry
Butler/Marion
Nowitzki/Cardinal
Chandler/Haywood......If we keep our team that is....But I think Barea is staying with Dallas.....Him and Chandler are their first priorities this offseason.

MR.TRIPDUB
06-18-2011, 01:08 AM
Why are you still here?

Anyway, I'd like him as a Bulls fan. Obviously he wouldn't start, but he'd be a nice sixth man for us. On the other hand, I do think he could start for us as an off guard much like Mavs used him.

I think he was only effective cause kidd can guard 2 guards verh well, i dont know if rose can do it consistently

NetsPaint
06-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Well, he did start in the Finals.

LA_Raiders
06-18-2011, 02:05 AM

agree

Hellcrooner
06-18-2011, 03:12 AM
if anyone gets him as an starter they are up to a bad surprise.

thekmp211
06-18-2011, 04:11 PM

did you miss the part where he start the last three games for your mavs in the finals??

i understand what you mean, and up until this year i probably would have agreed. jj is a great talent, but his size hurts him in certain situations.

what he proved this postseason, as he'd really been proving the past two years, is that those situations are far fewer than originally imagined. in most cases, his diminutive size was such a huge advantage on offense that teams never even tried to expose him on the other end. no one will forget lebron's pathetic post-up attempt that ended in a charge call.

guard play in the nba these days really doesn't put a ton of emphasis on size. the jordan-sized guards thrived in the 90's and early 2000's because they needed to be able to take a beating from defenses. now, quickness and skill are probably more important than height and strength.

obviously deshawn stevenson played a vital role in the finals (and he's of the prototypical jordan 2 guard mold) but the mavericks three best guards were all point guard sized. whatever they gave up on the defensive end clearly wasn't too destructive.

i think jj can be a starter, but as you said be a guy that sometimes needs to come out of games. carlisle did such a good job with his rotations -- a lesser coach might leave a guy like barea out to dry more.

Kashmir13579
06-18-2011, 04:19 PM
I'd love him on the Knicks. I wonder what kind of offers he will get. He wouldn't be starting right away on the Knicks, but Billups only has 1 year left on his contract. He would be a perfect fit, imo. I think in a few seasons he will be running an offense somehwere.

Kashmir13579
06-18-2011, 04:20 PM
if mike dantoni had any say in it... the knicks would jump all over him

i know. the sad thing is Barea wants to be a starter, right away. D'antoni could definitely turn this kid into a stud but it would likely take more than 1 year and that is all the time D'antoni has left in NY.

KingPosey
06-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Barea is not an everyday starter on a championship team imo. He is a fun talent, and a big spark, but he can be exposed with that size.

KingPosey
06-18-2011, 04:52 PM
did you miss the part where he start the last three games for your mavs in the finals??
i understand what you mean, and up until this year i probably would have agreed. jj is a great talent, but his size hurts him in certain situations.

what he proved this postseason, as he'd really been proving the past two years, is that those situations are far fewer than originally imagined. in most cases, his diminutive size was such a huge advantage on offense that teams never even tried to expose him on the other end. no one will forget lebron's pathetic post-up attempt that ended in a charge call.

guard play in the nba these days really doesn't put a ton of emphasis on size. the jordan-sized guards thrived in the 90's and early 2000's because they needed to be able to take a beating from defenses. now, quickness and skill are probably more important than height and strength.

obviously deshawn stevenson played a vital role in the finals (and he's of the prototypical jordan 2 guard mold) but the mavericks three best guards were all point guard sized. whatever they gave up on the defensive end clearly wasn't too destructive.

i think jj can be a starter, but as you said be a guy that sometimes needs to come out of games. carlisle did such a good job with his rotations -- a lesser coach might leave a guy like barea out to dry more.

come on man, its 3 games, you should know better than to use that.

The Heat do not have a PG that can expose Barea's weakness. He would be a liability against some teams playing 35 to 40 min a night.

Dallas is lucky because Kidd is the size of a SG pretty much, so you can play them together and not be too small.

dodie53
06-18-2011, 08:02 PM
he should start next season for the mavs

BlondeBomber41
06-18-2011, 08:20 PM

I still contend that as a starting point guard he'd never lead a contender. He could maybe start for Miami next to Wade and Lebron or LA next to Kobe and his flaws would be hidden enough to make it work but on a team dependent on a big contribution from their PG? No. Defensively he would have big problems not having Jason Kidd there to guard the good PG's.

I'll put it this way. You put him next to a star SG/SF who can defend really well and cover up for Barea and maybe he'd work as a starter.

beasted86
06-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I understand what you are saying but I don't agree with you. Sure not resigning Chandler and Barea hurt in the short term (next year). But it allows us more flexibility to add a franchise player in 2012. (D12, Deron).... While I would like to see what Caron Butler can do next year, I'm not sure it's a neccessity. People forget he contributed absolutely NOTHING to our NBA Finals run this year. Chandler was beastly this year I agree however is he is a very old 28. He's going into his 11th year next season and while I'm not crazy about Haywood he played very well for us when he was first brought over from the Wizards. Barea was amazing in this years run, but I think Roddy Buckets ceiling is higher. You let Barea walk and give Roddy his minutes. I'm leaning towards that side of the house, and I'm sure Donnie is thinking the same.
Regardless of a "chance" you have to put it in a logical perspective.

I'm not going to break down the salary cap limitations under the old rules, but just to let you know with cap holds and the current guys you are even over that $44M... but let's put the cap talk aside for a second.

Let's assume the Mavericks have the caps space to sign 1 max guy. What motivation does he have to come play with your old 33yr old supporting cast of the guys you do have? Dirk will be 33 going into the 2012-13 season, Marion will be 34, Haywood will be 33, and unless Roddy B turns into an all-star in his own right, the Mavs will have nobody else of consequence to discuss.

Just logical perspective speaking here... no hate, and not trying to down all ideas, because it's just not sensible. Better off to re-sign those guys try and win again for the next 2 years with your core, then have a youngish core of Barea (28), Roddy B (26), and Chandler (31), in 2014 and rebuild then by trying to sign a PF or SF then, and make a lottery splash to pick up a top talent again.

drobe86
06-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Regardless of a "chance" you have to put it in a logical perspective.

I'm not going to break down the salary cap limitations under the old rules, but just to let you know with cap holds and the current guys you are even over that $44M... but let's put the cap talk aside for a second.

Let's assume the Mavericks have the caps space to sign 1 max guy. What motivation does he have to come play with your old 33yr old supporting cast of the guys you do have? Dirk will be 33 going into the 2012-13 season, Marion will be 34, Haywood will be 33, and unless Roddy B turns into an all-star in his own right, the Mavs will have nobody else of consequence to discuss.

Just logical perspective speaking here... no hate, and not trying to down all ideas, because it's just not sensible. Better off to re-sign those guys try and win again for the next 2 years with your core, then have a youngish core of Barea (28), Roddy B (26), and Chandler (31), in 2014 and rebuild then by trying to sign a PF or SF then, and make a lottery splash to pick up a top talent again.

Right but 1 max guy is all you need with a solid core. My Mavs showed you that this year. If Deron Williams comes here next year its lights out. You mentioned Dirks age at 33. But he's going to age extremely well due to the nature of his game. You Know that.... The combination of Haywood and Chandler will be good for years to come. Marion isn't what he used to be, but he has that IT factor. All I'm saying is players like Deron Williams come once every 10-15 years. He's going to Elevate the players games around him. And that's why Utah had been so successful the last few years. Look for the Mavs to get Butler back on a cheap 1 year deal, and sign Ty Chandler to a very new CBA friendly deal that suits him and the team well. I ultimately think someone breaks the bank for Barea and he walks.... The Mavs are in a good position because we have some good young players they just arent very experienced.

Look for Beaubois, Nick Calathes, and Corey Brewer all to play larger roles this upcoming season. I truly believe they have a chance to be the next wave of Mavs in the future..

thekmp211
06-19-2011, 02:08 AM
come on man, its 3 games, you should know better than to use that.

The Heat do not have a PG that can expose Barea's weakness. He would be a liability against some teams playing 35 to 40 min a night.

Dallas is lucky because Kidd is the size of a SG pretty much, so you can play them together and not be too small.

but, in terms of contenders, who really does? westbrook was the biggest point guard the mavericks faced and he didn't take advantage of the size match ups.

i agree with you in theory that a point guard as small as j.j. barea should be taken advantage of defensively. but, i contend that the league has changed to a point where his size really isn't a huge disadvantage anymore.

there are very few post-up point guards in the league now. like you said, dallas was lucky enough to have jason kidd check a lot of two guards. but the mavericks don't really have a conventional two, except for deshawn stevenson. kidd was really the only regular player who could guard true twos, which is essentially the same as having one real two. i think barea could survive defensively in such a situation.

knickfan33
06-19-2011, 12:55 PM
i'd love him on the knicks. I wonder what kind of offers he will get. He wouldn't be starting right away on the knicks, but billups only has 1 year left on his contract. He would be a perfect fit, imo. I think in a few seasons he will be running an offense somehwere.

i would love him too... But i dont think he is starting material.... Hes too small to guard anyone

LongWayFromHome
06-19-2011, 02:41 PM
he's really not a PG. He's a 2 guard in a HIGH SCHOOL PG'S BODY.

he's a VERY talented scorer but most possessions he touches the ball he doesnt give it up. His best role is like a Jamaal Crawford / Jason Terry type of player.

Jay
06-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Ppl forget that his role was to score coming off the bench, and that necessitated his aggressive approach. And let's not knock for using his speed and quickness advantage at his size to score a few points.

He may not be the second coming of Steve Nash as a distributor, but he has many similar qualities offensively, otherwise.