PDA

View Full Version : Rick Carlisle: Spoelstra had 'toughest job' in NBA

Swashcuff
06-15-2011, 10:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=6664280

Without prompting, Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle made a point to defend NBA Finals counterpart Erik Spoelstra, praising the Miami Heat coach for "the toughest job in basketball."

Carlisle made the comments at the end of his 30-minute session with the media Tuesday during the Mavericks' exit interviews.

"Listen, I would like to say one thing about Miami if I could," Carlisle said. "I thought Erik Spoelstra had the toughest job in basketball with that team because of the way the team came together and because of the unbelievably high expectations."

The Heat had those the moment they formed the Big Three of Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh.

They added to the hype with a news conference that had a party-like feel, during which James vowed Miami would win multiple titles.

The pressure on Spoelstra intensified after the Heat stumbled to a 9-8 start, including a 106-95 loss to Dallas Nov. 27. That led to a players-only meeting and speculation about Spoelstra's job security.

Carlisle, president of the league's coaches' association, was widely credited for outcoaching Spoelstra during the Finals, in which James struggled, particularly in fourth quarters.

"My hat's off to Erik and the job he did," Carlisle said. "It was extremely difficult, extremely trying. We went through a lot of difficult times before we got to our moment. Their time will definitely come.

FriedTofuz
06-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Definatly. Spoelstra had the hardest task to do. He had to coach a team to live up the expectations that were set in the offseason. If his team failed to do so, he would have taken alot of heat. No pun intended. as a matter of fact, he did endure alot of heat, and then turned it around. People were suggesting riley take over because of the heats record when they were 7-8? not sure if i recall correctly. Overall, he really did have a tough task, but he performed well and did a good job. best of all, he wont be fired.

Sadds The Gr8
06-15-2011, 10:53 PM
i don't think he did a good job...

Hustlenomics
06-15-2011, 10:54 PM
must have been tough trying to coach two top 5 players and an all star

still1ballin
06-15-2011, 11:17 PM
i don't think he did a good job...

Yanks All Day
06-15-2011, 11:24 PM
He did a very good job when the Heat had a few days to prepare for something, but on the fly he seemed very hesitant. Questionable rotations in the playoffs and unexpected substitutions are what confused me. Overall, though, he did a good enough job to get them to buy into a defensive scheme and make it within 2 games of an NBA Championship in their first season together. If they fail next season, though, Riley is the coach.

davids22
06-15-2011, 11:30 PM
must have been tough trying to coach two top 5 players and an all star

I'll assume that's sarcasm.

Think about it... those top players can be headcases. Kobe is a huge example. Yeah he backs it up, but these players have big heads and sometimes will do what THEY think is best over what the coach has done. And rightfully so, a lot of players can go with the feel of a game and adjust accordingly. It can be hard to make sure these top players actually LISTEN to your gameplan and set plays versus them playing a bunch of ISOs and uncoordinated P&Rs.

gotoHcarolina52
06-15-2011, 11:33 PM
If you thought Spoelstra's job this year was rough, wait 'till next season when its championship or bust.

The honeymoon period is over.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/15/2266931/pressure-to-win-title-will-be.html

Bring The Heat
06-15-2011, 11:54 PM
I think spoelstra is a great coach.. Smart guy and did a fine job this season under a lot of heat at times... I think he's going to be our coach for a long time

AddiX
06-15-2011, 11:55 PM
I agree, I remember when it was leaked mike brown told spo that coaching bron was hard to do. All he wants to do is get the ball is iso behind the three.

And that's exactly what we have seen every year bron has been in the league.

LA_Raiders
06-16-2011, 12:03 AM
Agree, dealing with those *******s everyday, must be hard...

allSUAVE
06-16-2011, 12:07 AM
Facts: its a championship or bust for them every year.

hard for a rookie coach but hes a helluva good one

whitemamba33
06-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Meh...You won't catch me shedding a tear for him. Any coach in the league would give his right testicle to coach that team.

This only makes me respect Phil Jackson THAT much more. People always criticize him because he always coached stars...but I guess it's not so easy as it looks.

That being said..it's only been 1 season.

marj987
06-16-2011, 12:16 AM
How'd he have the toughest job and he didn't do anything but say random stuff during T/O's and so people can think he's a good coach when he was "wired" by ESPN?:eyebrow:

Or Rick is implying that he had the toughest job cause he went against the Mavs? :p

Swashcuff
06-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Facts: its a championship or bust for them every year.

hard for a rookie coach but hes a helluva good one

He's a 3rd year Head Coach.

h2r09
06-16-2011, 08:53 AM
he had the hardest job in the league, with constant ridiculous scrutiny that this team was under, as well as trying to integrate 3 ball needy stars into a team concept, as well as having his 4th and 5th players injured, and 10 minimum salary veteran after that.

spo did a great job also preaching mental toughness because that was exactly what this team needs. i went to a season ticket holder meeting before the season and he is very impressive in person.

sventhedog
06-16-2011, 08:57 AM
i agree. imagine coaching a player who wants to win championships then suddenly changes his mind when they reached the finals. what can you do?

koreancabbage
06-16-2011, 09:11 AM
i think he did a good job until he got the NBA finals.

where the F was James Jones? they needed more offense and points. instead they played Eddie House...

the guy obviously goes on a series by series basis and doesn't really change his strategy. he mostly can't change it up if things go one way not in his favour.

SteBO
06-16-2011, 09:13 AM
i think he did a good job until he got the NBA finals.

where the F was James Jones? they needed more offense and points. instead they played Eddie House...

the guy obviously goes on a series by series basis and doesn't really change his strategy. he mostly can't change it up if things go one way not in his favour.

Let's also not forget that Spo didn't have much to work with, unlike Dallas, who had a lot of options. I agree Jones should've played, if he was healthy. He had a toe injury heading into the Finals. There wasn't really much he could so in that spot.

BrandonH
06-16-2011, 01:06 PM
I guess it could be hard managing their personalities, but honestly he should have just pointed out to them that they wanted to be on the same team. Then told them to figure it out and worried about their minutes. They wanted this knowing that someone would have to give up the ball, the coach having to treat them like kids by giving them rewards if they played some "D" is beyond me.

Be honest though, when the 3 of them came together, who the hell pictured Bosh being their best player in the finals?

BullsFTW
06-16-2011, 01:13 PM
LeBron choking is not Spo's fault. Miami has a very decent coach and they would be dumb to let Spo go.

Tony_Starks
06-16-2011, 01:15 PM
he had the hardest job in the league, with constant ridiculous scrutiny that this team was under, as well as trying to integrate 3 ball needy stars into a team concept, as well as having his 4th and 5th players injured, and 10 minimum salary veteran after that.

spo did a great job also preaching mental toughness because that was exactly what this team needs. i went to a season ticket holder meeting before the season and he is very impressive in person.

Im shocked more people don't see this but then again its all about finger pointing and "what have you done for me lately" these days. But to take basically a brand new team, and two stars that are used to having the ball all the time, and make it all come together is pretty remarkable.

People are so quick to point out his faults but I've never saw a team that wasn't a champ under the microscope they were under. To keep his composure and not fold, not to mention deal with the egos, this guy deserves a lot of credit!!

smith&wesson
06-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Rick Carlisle is a classy dude.

Swashcuff
06-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Rick Carlisle is a classy dude.

Indeed

Giraffes Rule
06-16-2011, 01:34 PM
I think he had the most pressure on him, but I don't think it's the toughest job. When 80% of your offense is Lebron or Wade running isolation, you're not doing much coaching. I think the toughest coaching job would be on a bad team, like the Kings. Imagine dealing with Cousins being a dick and a player like Caspi who is unhappy and wants out, while the whole time you're losing a ton of games AND there are rumors your team will be moving.

TylerSL
06-16-2011, 02:16 PM
he has one of them. Sure you can say he has Wade/Lebron/Bosh. But that can be a curse in itself. Everytime they lose people buzz about Spoelstra's job status. I love Wade (no homo) and I REALLY like Lebron (again, no homo lol) but I would almost bet they are headcases to coach, with Bosh its probably even worse.