PDA

View Full Version : Does Robert Horry Deserve To Be In The HOF?

JasonJohnHorn
06-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Does Robert Horry deserve to be in the HOF? I posting a poll and would like your comments, but my answer (though I may be in the underwhelming minority) is yes. My reasons are posted below:

Is Robert Horry as good as Hakeem? Jordan? Magic? Bird? The answer is a resounding no. Does that mean he doesn’t deserve to be in the Naismith Hall Of Fame? No. There are a number of people and players in the Hall Of Fame that are nowhere near the talent level of players like Chamberlain, Russell, West or Baylor, but each person in the Hall Of Fame have done something special during their basketball careers.

Talent is a key to getting into the Hall Of Fame, but it is not the only thing one needs. While players like Jordan, Magic and Bird have played at a level that is head and shoulders above many of their peers, they do not themselves define what one must do to enter the Hall Of Fame. Zigmund J. “Red” Mihalik, for example, is an official, or as the Hall Of Fame refers to the title “referee”. He has never even so much as officiated a single NBA game. He worked primarily in the NCAA (six NCAA finals), and the Olympics. As far as the NBA goes, Mihalik has accomplished nothing. As for NCAA standards, there are officials he have worked more games. Mirko Novosel likewise is a name not many NBA fans will know, and his work in coaching never even so much as won Yugoslavia a single gold metal, but he had a special career because he did something special within his own context. Cathy Rush likewise has done seemingly little to earn a spot in the Hall Of Fame. She hasn’t coached any teams to NCAA finals, hasn’t set any records, but she has helped to expand women’s basketball in several ways and was involved in a gold medal winning Olympic team. None of these players have created a buzz for the game the way Julius Irving has, or Michael Jordan, or Kobe Bryant or LeBron James, but they each have worked within their respective roles and achieved what others have not.

Robert Horry like; Mihalik, Novosel and Rush, had a role. Like Novosel, who lost the last game he coached at every Olympics, Horry has seen others outperform him. He’s lost starting positions, was disappointed when his contract was not renewed with the Lakers, and was almost traded by the Rockets the season he won his first NBA title. As a result, his role was as a substitute, a bench player, a role player. And he has achieved things in that role that no other player in that role has achieved. Horry was rarely a starter in his career, and was never a first option, but he has accepted his role and excelled at it. There are other role players who have won titles, James Posey for example has provided defence and three point scoring for the Miami Heat and Boston Celtics. Bruce Bowen did much the same for the Spurs. Steve Kerr and John Paxon likewise have provided three point shooting (both for the Bulls), and James Edwards provided some rebounding, interior defence and post scoring for the Detroit Pistons. Horry likewise has been a role player throughout much of his career. Though he started for Houston during their two championship runs, he has come off the bench for most of his career. For Houston, Horry came up with huge defensive plays, three point daggers and some rebounding, for the Lakers Horry has dropped game winning shots in key games against teams like the Spurs and Kings while giving some help on the boards, and for the Spurs Horry helped send the Pistons home with a game winning shot that helped Duncan and the Spurs win their fourth title. The game winning shots, the defence and rebounding has helped Robert Horry win seven NBA titles, more than any player of his generation. More titles than Jordan, and Pippen, more than Kobe and Shaq and Duncan.

Some argue that one needs to have exceptional talent, to be an All-Star. That Horry should not have his name next to players like Chamberlain and Jordan. But the Hall Of Fame is already filled with players who have not had the impact on the game that Jordan and Chamberlain had. Drazen Petrovic for example, played only four seasons before his career was tragically cut short. He had two seasons where he scored 20+ points a game, but was known across the league for being a poor defender and was only once was a part of a team that made a run for the title and it was a team that performed as well without him as they did with him (Portland was back in the NBA finals two years after Petrovic left). Robert Wazner has meek stats because he played in the pre-shot-clock era, and has only one title to his name, but few doubt his right to be in the NBA Hall Of Fame, though he is certainly no Jordan, or Magic or even Stockton for that matter. David Thompson, while having an impressive collegiate career, had a relatively quiet NBA career. His career scoring averages are meek, and he was never even a part of a title contending team. His collegiate career though was a special one and for that his place in the Hall Of Fame has never been questioned. Horry likewise excelled as a role player to the tune of seven championships, more than any player who wasn’t a part of the Boston/Russell dynasty. Players like Petrovic, Thompson and Wazner played nowhere near the level of players like; Jordan, Chamberlain, Magic, Robertson or Russell, but each have had a special career that sets them apart from others, just as Horry has excelled at his role and has in turn accomplished things that nobody else in his type of position has ever accomplished.

There are those who feel that there are other players who are more deserving of a spot in the Hall Of Fame who will likely have trouble getting a position in the Hall Of Fame. Players like: Vince Carter, Tracey McGrady, Carmelo Anthony, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, Derron Williams, Chris Paul, Jerry Stackhouse, and Gilbert Arenas. But if you take these players, and players like George Gervin and Dominique Wilkens, players who were leading scorers in the league, like Wade, Kevin Durant and Charlie Scott, Dan Issel, Adrian Dauntley and Alex English and combine all their NBA titles, they still don’t have as many championships between them as Horry has by himself. Some of these players are still active and may yet win titles, but what Horry has done is something special. Being the winningest player of his generation is something special, something that sets him apart from everybody else he ever stepped on the court with.

There are those who will say that Horry should not be remembered along with the stars of his generation, that he is not as good. But Hakeem may have never even won a title without Horry. Shaq and Kobe may not have won a title together had Horry not been on their team and the Spurs may have succumb to the Detroit Pistons had Horry not been able to provide the clutch shooting that helped the Spurs put the Pistons away in the NBA finals. While many NBA greats, like Nash, Duncan, Magic and Bird, have been accredited with making the players around them better, Horry has done something few role-players have done: he’s made his supser-star teammates better. He has helped to bring NBA titles to players like Hakeem, Bryant, O’Neal and Duncan. It is true that each of these players would have likely won titles without Horry, but it is certainly clear none of them would have won as many as they did without him, and for that, for his countless game winning shots, for his seven NBA titles, and for being the winningest player of his generation, Robert Horry deserves to be remembered alongside of the superstar players that he has helped to turn into champions, and I’m sure each of his Hall-Of-Fame teammates would welcome him into the Hall with them.

Hellcrooner
06-15-2011, 10:12 PM
1 petrovic is in due to his internaTIonal career

2 its the BASKETBALL hof not the NBA hof

3 Pau you can get out of your list of maybes because his FIBA resume makes it a lock since its the basketball HOF not Nba hof.
but anyway playing along, find me an elegibile second option player on a team that won the ring at least twice that isnt in the hof.
so is nba career has him locked too

4 horry does not have the international resume, nor the ultrabrilliant ncAA career to enter the hof.

DoMeFavors
06-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Not at all, just because he hit a couple of big shots and won the rings off of some of the best teams in the last 20 years. Doesnt mean he should be in the HOF. Really had no impact on winning with the spurs, the lakers had the best team by far. He got himself on contendors his entire career.
So no.

JordansBulls
06-15-2011, 10:18 PM
If you never were an allstar why the hell do you deserve to be a hall of famer?

Hellcrooner
06-15-2011, 10:21 PM

inetrnational resume.

wich horry hasnt.

llemon
06-15-2011, 10:29 PM
7 NBA Titles, and none with Jordan.

Big Shot Bob more deserving of HOF than Dominique & Iverson.

dhopisthename
06-15-2011, 10:32 PM

lol this

Rivera
06-15-2011, 10:33 PM
no

absolutely not come now!

fishfan79
06-15-2011, 10:35 PM
not even close

bholly
06-15-2011, 10:36 PM
I voted yes.

There are dozens of better players who won't and shouldn't make it, but in my opinion the hall shouldn't just about the best players. He had the type of amazingly unique career that deserves immortalization. His individual accomplishments aren't bad - top 5 in career playoff 3 pointers, 12 in playoff blocks, 10 in playoff steals, 21 in playoff rebounding - but there's one stat that gets him in there in my opinion: 7 rings. More than anyone who never played with Bill Russell. His is a career that deserves remembering a generation from now, and that's what the hall is for.

Ebbs
06-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Lolz comeone he was at the right spot his whole career.

mttwlsn16
06-15-2011, 10:39 PM
yes. will smith was mr clutch. and bunch of rings

effen5
06-15-2011, 10:57 PM
I love you big shot bob but no.

JasonJohnHorn
06-15-2011, 11:09 PM
For those who say simply that he wasnt an all-stra: the HOF is littered with people who werent all-stars. There are highschool coaches who were never even good enough to coach in the NCAA or NBA that have a spot. Officials who never even officiated in the NBA.

The HOF is about more than All-Star appearances. It is about excelling at the role you play in the game, be it in Europe, College, of the NBA, and be it on the sidelines, in the office, or on the court.

And he hit more than a couple clutch shots.

Lim
06-15-2011, 11:11 PM
HELLLLL NO !!!! wow

ManRam
06-15-2011, 11:12 PM
No. He was blessed to play on great teams and hit a few big shots. I literally think 100s upon 100s of players could have won as many rings and hit as many big shots given the circumstances he had (blessed circumstances).

Hall of Fame. No player who was never even close to a top 10-15 player in the league in a given year should sniff it...rings or not. He was never an all-star.

His biggest individual accolade is a 2nd team all-rookie team.

The stat he's highest up on the all-time leader board is games played, and he's 50th at that. Next highest is block% at 65. He shouldn't make it...not at all.

ManRam
06-15-2011, 11:13 PM
For those who say simply that he wasnt an all-stra: the HOF is littered with people who werent all-stars. There are highschool coaches who were never even good enough to coach in the NCAA or NBA that have a spot. Officials who never even officiated in the NBA.

The HOF is about more than All-Star appearances. It is about excelling at the role you play in the game, be it in Europe, College, of the NBA, and be it on the sidelines, in the office, or on the court.

It's about more than all-star appearances for guys who weren't professional basketball players. You can't say "Horry can get in without any all star games because refs are in the HOF". Horry compared to his peers was far less great than any of those refs, HS coaches, foreign players etc. He should be compared to his peers, not referees and the likes. With that logic, you could make an argument almost every player should get in.

Adonal Foyle should get in because he played his role on the sidelines amazingly well and is a great poet!

bagwell368
06-15-2011, 11:28 PM
no...

Omar Little
06-15-2011, 11:29 PM
I always loved Big Shot Bob and if it were up to me Id say yes.

Interesting fun fact for you guys: For an entire decade starting with the '93/'94 season, every single championship team had one of two big shot artists on the roster (either Robert Horry or Steve Kerr). Both players won 3 championships under the coaching of Phil Jackson and at least 2 more rings under Greg Popovich. In the end, 12 championships were won during a 14 year span by either Kerr or Horry, and yet oddly enough, neither of the two ever played on the same championship team at the same time.

Pretty bizarre right?

kjoke
06-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Its like saying a 22 win pitcher with Era 5 and Whip 2 deserves to be in the HOF because he won so many games.

Hustla23
06-16-2011, 12:21 AM
...... Wow.

Just no.

John Walls Era
06-16-2011, 12:29 AM
I wish I could see those who voted yes.

If you vote Yes, you should get a perma-ban on PSD.

BadBoyPistons
06-16-2011, 12:52 AM
No, championships and some clutch shots doesn't get you into the HOF. Especially considering he didn't make great contributions towards those championships over the span of a series.

mRc08
06-16-2011, 01:13 AM
I say no.

The argument that there are people in the hof with worse resumes is stupid imo. Shouldnt we be trying to raise the bar instead of lowering the quality? If he would have played a bigger role on those teams and had been better overall than maybe. I appreciate the post but no way for me.

pd7631
06-16-2011, 01:17 AM

This will probably be deleted, but there's really nothing else to say about you and your statement other than.....YOU ARE A MORON

pd7631
06-16-2011, 01:20 AM
Reggie Miller didn't get in last year, Robert Horry isn't 1/10 the player that Miller was.

7ppg 5rpg 2apg for his career......does that sound like a HOF'er?

RaiderLakersA's
06-16-2011, 01:22 AM
Yes, he should be in the HOF.

MacFitz92
06-16-2011, 02:11 AM
Absolutely not.

ChiSox219
06-16-2011, 02:24 AM
Yes, even if only for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdik09RGJI&feature=related

John Walls Era
06-16-2011, 03:13 AM
:laugh: This is actually hilarious. The fact that 23% voted yes shows the state of the NBA forum.

Bruno
06-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Robert Horry is the only player not affiliated with the 1960's Celtics Dynasty to have been part of seven or more NBA championship teams:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/most_championships.html.

Robert Horry has played in more playoff games than any other player in NBA history (244). Twenty year veteran KAJ trails Horry by seven total games. O'neal is the 3rd closest, trailing Horry by 28 total games:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/g_career_p.html

Robert Horry is 15th in total playoff minutes played. Here are the fourteen players who join him on that list:
1. KAJ* 8851
2. Kobe Bryant 8165
3. Scottie Pippen* 8105
4. Shaquille O'Neal 8099
5. Karl Malone* 7907
6. Wilt Chamberlain*7559
7. Magic Johnson* 7538
8. Bill Russell* 7497
9. Michael Jordan* 7474
10. Julius Erving* 7352
11. Dennis Johnson* 6994
12. Tim Duncan 6952
13. Larry Bird* 6886
14. John Havlicek* 6860
15.Robert Horry 6823
*= In H.O.F.

Robert Horry is top 25 in career play-off win-shares. These are the other twenty four players on that list:
Rank Player WS
1. Michael Jordan* 39.76
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* 35.56
3. Magic Johnson* 32.63
4. Wilt Chamberlain*31.46
5. Shaquille O'Neal 31.08
6. Tim Duncan 28.84
7. Bill Russell* 27.76
8. Julius Erving* 26.89
9. Kobe Bryant 26.85
10. Jerry West* 26.75
11. Larry Bird* 24.83
12. Scottie Pippen* 23.58
13. Karl Malone* 22.99
14. Hakeem Olajuwon*22.60
15. Dirk Nowitzki 22.08
16. John Stockton* 21.35
17. Chauncey Billups 20.80
18. Kevin McHale* 20.67
19. Horace Grant 20.00
20. Reggie Miller 19.90
21. Charles Barkley* 19.52
22. John Havlicek* 19.27
23. LeBron James 18.53
24.Robert Horry 18.22
25. David Robinson * 17.52
*=HOF

Current HOFers with less playoff win-shares than Horry include David Robinson, George Mikan, Walt Frazier, Dan Issel, Robert Parish, Clyde Drexler, Elgin Baylor, James Worthy, Moses Malone, Patrick Ewing, Oscar Robertson, Dennis Johnson, Rick Barry, Dennis Rodman & Isiah Thoams
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/ws_career_p.html

Horry has hit the 4th most threes in NBA playoff history:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fg3_career_p.html

Playoff Advanced/counting stats from championship seasons:
'94 Rockets- PER: 16.7, TS%: .545, WS/48: 0.151, age 23.
'95 Rockets- PER: 16.2, TS%: .592, WS/48: 0.142, age 24.
'00 Lakers- PER: 13.2, TS%: .514, WS/48: 0.096, age 29.
'01 Lakers- PER: 13.0, TS%: .486, WS/48: 0.150, age 30.
'02 Lakers- PER: 14.7, TS%: .576, WS/48: 0.153, age 31.
'05 Spurs- PER: 17.9, TS%: .591, WS/48: 0.199, age 34.
'07 Spurs- PER: 14.2, TS%: .571, WS/48: 0.144, age 36.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/horryro01.html

Love it, hate it, think it's absurd- Robert Horry will make the H.O.F. eventually. He is the most successful, non all-star roll player in league history.

MagicBucsSox
06-16-2011, 05:58 AM
Of course he deserves to there's wnba players and globetrotters in the HOF it's a joke. So why doesnt the nba's most clutch shooter ever deserve it

kurivaimu
06-16-2011, 06:03 AM
Horry was special? What, is that a polite way of saying ********? I mean seriously, i know the guy hit some great shots, but a lazy *** coach potato who only shows up for the playoffs and even that on the right circumstances..come on. I just think Horry has had a tremendous amount of luck and thats it.

Definately not. Considering all the greats who have been left off Horry would be a disgrace.

MagicBucsSox
06-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Horry was special? What, is that a polite way of saying ********? I mean seriously, i know the guy hit some great shots, but a lazy *** coach potato who only shows up for the playoffs and even that on the right circumstances..come on. I just think Horry has had a tremendous amount of luck and thats it.

Definately not. Considering all the greats who have been left off Horry would be a disgrace.

Lmao it Curly from the Harlem globetrotters gas how many NBA titles? Hit how many clutch NBA shots?

MickeyMgl
06-16-2011, 06:23 AM
It doesn't matter how many words you write advocating it, the answer is "no".

MickeyMgl
06-16-2011, 06:28 AM
I voted yes.

There are dozens of better players who won't and shouldn't make it, but in my opinion the hall shouldn't just about the best players. He had the type of amazingly unique career that deserves immortalization. His individual accomplishments aren't bad - top 5 in career playoff 3 pointers, 12 in playoff blocks, 10 in playoff steals, 21 in playoff rebounding - but there's one stat that gets him in there in my opinion: 7 rings. More than anyone who never played with Bill Russell. His is a career that deserves remembering a generation from now, and that's what the hall is for.

If they had a separate Hall of Fame for role players, then Horry's chances would greatly improve.

Bruno
06-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Which greats have been left off in your opinion? No need to mention players drafted in the late 80's or later such as Reggie Miller. That age group is just now reaching eligibility.

It doesn't matter how many words you write advocating it, the answer is "no".

Why is that?

Bruno
06-16-2011, 06:33 AM
You guys over-rate what it takes to get into the HOF. Nobody is claiming that Horry will be a first-ballot guy, but he could easily make it after a decade of eligibility.

http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers-index/

Look at the list of names. There are hundreds of people on it. Scoffing at Horry as a potential HOFer reveals either a misunderstanding towards the criteria that the hall uses, or towards Horrys playoff contributions to seven championship teams.

ChiSox219
06-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Robert Horry is the only player not affiliated with the 1960's Celtics Dynasty to have been part of seven or more NBA championship teams:

Robert Horry has played in more playoff games than any other player in NBA history (244). Twenty year veteran KAJ trails Horry by seven total games. O'neal is the 3rd closest, trailing Horry by 28 total games:

Robert Horry is 15th in total playoff minutes played. Here are the fourteen players who join him on that list:
1. KAJ* 8851
2. Kobe Bryant 8165
3. Scottie Pippen* 8105
4. Shaquille O'Neal 8099
5. Karl Malone* 7907
6. Wilt Chamberlain*7559
7. Magic Johnson* 7538
8. Bill Russell* 7497
9. Michael Jordan* 7474
10. Julius Erving* 7352
11. Dennis Johnson* 6994
12. Tim Duncan 6952
13. Larry Bird* 6886
14. John Havlicek* 6860
15.Robert Horry 6823
*= In H.O.F.

Robert Horry is top 25 in career play-off win-shares. These are the other twenty four players on that list:
Rank Player WS
1. Michael Jordan* 39.76
3. Magic Johnson* 32.63
6. Tim Duncan 28.84
7. Bill Russell* 27.76
8. Julius Erving* 26.89
9. Kobe Bryant 26.85
10. Jerry West* 26.75
11. Larry Bird* 24.83
13. Karl Malone* 22.99
15. Dirk Nowitzki 22.08
16. John Stockton* 21.35
18. Kevin McHale* 20.67
19. Horace Grant 20.00
20. Reggie Miller 19.90
22. John Havlicek* 19.27
23. LeBron James 18.53
24.Robert Horry 18.22
*=HOF

Current HOFers with less playoff win-shares than Horry include David Robinson, George Mikan, Walt Frazier, Dan Issel, Robert Parish, Clyde Drexler, Elgin Baylor, James Worthy, Moses Malone, Patrick Ewing, Oscar Robertson, Dennis Johnson, Rick Barry, Dennis Rodman & Isiah Thoams

Love it, hate it, think it's absurd- Robert Horry will make the H.O.F. eventually. He is the most successful, non all-star roll player in league history.

You guys over-rate what it takes to get into the HOF. Nobody is claiming that Horry will be a first-ballot guy, but he could easily make it after a decade of eligibility.

http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers-index/

Look at the list of names. There are hundreds of people on it. Scoffing at Horry as a potential HOFer reveals either a misunderstanding towards the criteria that the hall uses, or towards Horrys playoff contributions to seven championship teams.

Two great posts.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-16-2011, 06:44 AM
nope

JasonJohnHorn
06-16-2011, 08:35 AM
I always loved Big Shot Bob and if it were up to me Id say yes.

Interesting fun fact for you guys: For an entire decade starting with the '93/'94 season, every single championship team had one of two big shot artists on the roster (either Robert Horry or Steve Kerr). Both players won 3 championships under the coaching of Phil Jackson and at least 2 more rings under Greg Popovich. In the end, 12 championships were won during a 14 year span by either Kerr or Horry, and yet oddly enough, neither of the two ever played on the same championship team at the same time.

Pretty bizarre right?

Crazy cool. thanks for sharing!

JasonJohnHorn
06-16-2011, 08:45 AM
It's about more than all-star appearances for guys who weren't professional basketball players. You can't say "Horry can get in without any all star games because refs are in the HOF". Horry compared to his peers was far less great than any of those refs, HS coaches, foreign players etc. He should be compared to his peers, not referees and the likes. With that logic, you could make an argument almost every player should get in.

Adonal Foyle should get in because he played his role on the sidelines amazingly well and is a great poet!

There are highschool coaches in the HOF. These guys werent even good enough to coach in the NBA, let alone have a HOF career like Riley, Jackson, Wilkens, Pop and Brown. But within their own arena, they did well. As far as highschool coaches go, they did well. Does anybody say: hey, they coached for a private school that gave scholarships to the best urban city players, that's why they won. No.

Compare them to other highschool coaches, and they had great careers. Compare them to Larry Brown, they look like ants.

Compare Horry to Jordan? No comparison. Compare him to Fisher, Kerr, Paxson, Posey. Yeah, he is something special.

There are guys from Europe in the HOF who couldnt even crack the NBA. And you can say: Hey, they were good in Europe. And yeah, they were, but the competition was weak there compared to the NBA. Its why Darko has had the career he has. Splitter was an all-star in Europe, he's lucky to start in the NBA.

Its not fair to say: We will give guys who werent good enough to play in the NBA a spot in the HOF because they dominated in a league with less talent. Or we'll put a coach in who couldnt even get a college job, let alone and NBA job, because he did pretty well amongst highschool coaches. And then say to a great role player like Horry: Sorry, we compare this guy to high school coaches, not to Larry Brown, but you were are going to compare to Jordan, and let in some guy from Europe who you beat out for a roster spot in because he dominated in a weak league that you would have looked like Wilt Chamberlain in. Tough luck.

Robert Horry did something special in his career. He's got the rings to show it. He hit any number of clutch shots. He made huge defensive plays for the Rockets, got key rebounds for the Spurs, and it could be argued, that had Robert Horry never played in the NBA, that Hakeem wouldnt have a ring. That Shaq, and Dunan and Kobe would certainly have fewer.

This guy, compared to HIS peers, who were not the All-Stars, but role players, did things that nobody else has ever done.

But hey, I think Laimbeer should be in the HOF.

Tarheels23
06-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Horry is probably the best role player in NBA history. I think he deserves to get in.

koreancabbage
06-16-2011, 08:58 AM
as a major role player, why not. he's hit some pretty big shots and he's succeeded whereever he went in the back end of his career. i wouldn't be mad if he went into the hall of fame

JasonJohnHorn
06-16-2011, 09:02 AM

Respect the opinion. NO RESPECT for the use of the "R" word. Not called for. GTFU!

BK-TY
06-16-2011, 09:38 AM
I voted yes... He had the type of amazingly unique career that deserves immortalization. His individual accomplishments aren't bad - top 5 in career playoff 3 pointers, 12 in playoff blocks, 10 in playoff steals, 21 in playoff rebounding - but there's one stat that gets him in there in my opinion: 7 rings.

Ditto! :nod: ANY PLAYER who has 6 or more NBA rings that didn't play with Mike or Russell deserves to be in the HOF.

blahblahyoutoo
06-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Yes, even if only for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdik09RGJI&feature=related

a good game now and then, even in the finals, does not make a HoF.

sixer04fan
06-16-2011, 10:18 AM
This is a joke thread right? Is there actually a debate on whether Robert Horry should be in the HOF or not? NOOOOO!

sixer04fan
06-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Should Derek Fisher be in the HOF? He has five rings so far... If he wins another? ABSOLUTELY NOT. This thread is a waste of time.

jp611
06-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Absolutely not, I love Robert Horry, but god no

John Walls Era
06-16-2011, 02:13 PM

1. KAJ* 8851
2. Kobe Bryant 8165
3. Scottie Pippen* 8105
4. Shaquille O'Neal 8099
5. Karl Malone* 7907
6. Wilt Chamberlain*7559
7. Magic Johnson* 7538
8. Bill Russell* 7497
9. Michael Jordan* 7474
10. Julius Erving* 7352
11. Dennis Johnson* 6994
12. Tim Duncan 6952
13. Larry Bird* 6886
14. John Havlicek* 6860
15.Robert Horry 6823
*= In H.O.F.

Rank Player WS
1. Michael Jordan* 39.76
3. Magic Johnson* 32.63
6. Tim Duncan 28.84
7. Bill Russell* 27.76
8. Julius Erving* 26.89
9. Kobe Bryant 26.85
10. Jerry West* 26.75
11. Larry Bird* 24.83
13. Karl Malone* 22.99
15. Dirk Nowitzki 22.08
16. John Stockton* 21.35
18. Kevin McHale* 20.67
19. Horace Grant 20.00
20. Reggie Miller 19.90
22. John Havlicek* 19.27
23. LeBron James 18.53
24.Robert Horry 18.22
*=HOF

The points are valid, however most of it was achieved because he played in the playoffs a lot and the fact that he played for some of the BEST teams during that era.

Bruno
06-16-2011, 02:48 PM
The points are valid, however most of it was achieved because he played in the playoffs a lot and the fact that he played for some of the BEST teams during that era.

At least three of those seven teams would never had been crowned as the best team, or champions if not for the contributions of Big Shot Bob.

The all-time leader in playoff games played won't be kept out of the Hall. Being top 25 in playoff WS helps too. Again, go look at the names of those included in the HOF. We're not talking about the most selective pickings here. Not like were debating top 50, or 100 of all time.

Cromedome
06-16-2011, 02:49 PM
I have no doubt in my mind that he'll be in the HOF soon.

Rivera
06-16-2011, 02:53 PM

bruno this doesnt make robert horry a HOFer no matter which way you try and slice it

Oldmantrash
06-16-2011, 03:00 PM
It's the Hall of fame,not the hall of dam was I lucky to play on a lot of great teams.

I am shocked by how many people voted yes.

Bruno
bruno this doesnt make robert horry a HOFer no matter which way you try and slice it

This line and a half quote that you isolated doesn't. Everything that preceded what you just quoted is the foundation for a great argument in favor for Horry in the HOF.

Have you taken a look at how many names are included in the HOF currently? It's not the most selective in-group. I think you'll be surprised by how many names are included, and how many non-NBA careers are acknowledged by the hall.

RaiderLakersA's

1. KAJ* 8851
2. Kobe Bryant 8165
3. Scottie Pippen* 8105
4. Shaquille O'Neal 8099
5. Karl Malone* 7907
6. Wilt Chamberlain*7559
7. Magic Johnson* 7538
8. Bill Russell* 7497
9. Michael Jordan* 7474
10. Julius Erving* 7352
11. Dennis Johnson* 6994
12. Tim Duncan 6952
13. Larry Bird* 6886
14. John Havlicek* 6860
15.Robert Horry 6823
*= In H.O.F.

Rank Player WS
1. Michael Jordan* 39.76
3. Magic Johnson* 32.63
6. Tim Duncan 28.84
7. Bill Russell* 27.76
8. Julius Erving* 26.89
9. Kobe Bryant 26.85
10. Jerry West* 26.75
11. Larry Bird* 24.83
13. Karl Malone* 22.99
15. Dirk Nowitzki 22.08
16. John Stockton* 21.35
18. Kevin McHale* 20.67
19. Horace Grant 20.00
20. Reggie Miller 19.90
22. John Havlicek* 19.27
23. LeBron James 18.53
24.Robert Horry 18.22
*=HOF

Nice!

Like I said, YES. If it's up to me Horry goes to the Hall for his unique, yet clutch contributions to 7 titles during his tenure in the NBA.

If I had to, I'd create a special exemption for Horry and players like him. You wouldn't weaken the Hall by having Horry in the ranks... no more than Horry weakened any of the championship teams that he played on, winning titles with organizations, different casts of players, and headed by different coaches.

Chronz
06-16-2011, 03:04 PM
At least three of those seven teams would never had been crowned as the best team, or champions if not for the contributions of Big Shot Bob.

The all-time leader in playoff games played won't be kept out of the Hall. Being top 25 in playoff WS helps too. Again, go look at the names of those included in the HOF. We're not talking about the most selective pickings here. Not like were debating top 50, or 100 of all time.
What about all the series he cost his teams, like vs the spurs? Lakers only needed one shot from him and he missed everything ever given to him.

Do his win shares really mean that much when his wsx48 is so low?

Don't get me wrong hes more worthy than most of the other role players on there, I just look forward to the day when the hof means something, as it stands its the hall of players who were lucky enough to play with one another. Or the hall of feel good stories.

JayAllDay
06-16-2011, 03:07 PM
No

Rivera
06-16-2011, 03:08 PM
This line and a half quote that you isolated doesn't. Everything that preceded what you just quoted is the foundation for a great argument in favor for Horry in the HOF.

Have you taken a look at how many names are included in the HOF currently? It's not the most selective in-group. I think you'll be surprised by how many names are included, and how many non-NBA careers are acknowledged by the hall.

i did read your whole piece and its great i just took out that line

i know the NBA hall of fame to...i live 10 minutes from there and i know its one of the easiest HOF to get into but just because hes had the most successful non all star ever who played for great teams and always found himself at the right spot doesnt make you a HOFer

he doesnt have enough individual awards to merrit a HOF he didnt even make 1st team all rookie he was 2nd team all rookie

Rivera
06-16-2011, 03:11 PM
this is clearly a case of judging based off # of rings

because robert horry has 7 rings people want to put him in the HOF and discredit that hes never made an all nba 1st/2nd/3rd team or even an all star game

njnets
06-16-2011, 03:12 PM
how some people are saying yes is absurd to me...

sure, he made some big shots in the playoffs and has 7 rings. i cant argue against that because those are true. but to put him in the hall of fame for being AROUND other hall of famers? please.

this argument is just stupid.

WeBallin
06-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Money in the Clutch Horry>Lebron James Nuff said...An he got the 7 titles LBJ mentioned

Bruno
06-16-2011, 03:27 PM
What about all the series he cost his teams, like vs the spurs? Lakers only needed one shot from him and he missed everything ever given to him.

Don't get me wrong hes more worthy than most of the other role players on there, I just look forward to the day when the hof means something, as it stands its the hall of players who were lucky enough to play with one another. Or the hall of feel good stories.

I'd say every good player has missed big shots that has cost their team a chance to advance. I'd say Horry has hit his fair share of big shots to help make up for the ones he has missed.

To me yes; you know I'm a sucker for longevity. If I can isolate one year here, his 2005 playoff WS was elite.

Even if the hall were to get more selective (which I wouldn't have a problem with) you'd still have a lot of boarder-line names in there who have already been admitted, who you wouldn't be able to kick out as a result of stricter entry. I think it's already diluted :shrug: Keeping out Horry wouldn't change that.

On basketball reference his HOF probability is 0.037. I just feel like Horry will be a no brainer on a year where they're having trouble filling out the spots, a decade or so after his eligibility begins. I think he'll be there eventually.

Bruno
06-16-2011, 03:29 PM
i did read your whole piece and its great i just took out that line

i know the NBA hall of fame to...i live 10 minutes from there and i know its one of the easiest HOF to get into but just because hes had the most successful non all star ever who played for great teams and always found himself at the right spot doesnt make you a HOFer

he doesnt have enough individual awards to merrit a HOF he didnt even make 1st team all rookie he was 2nd team all rookie

Nice.

I acknowledge the argument as to why he shouldn't be admitted. It's a fine argument. I just also think there is an argument in favor for him getting there eventually.

I don't think it's a question to scoff at.

RaiderLakersA's
06-16-2011, 03:50 PM

Very few halls of fame have met that criteria.

To my dying day I'll always think less of the NFL Hall of Fame because it let Michael Irvin in when other equally great players with MUCH cleaner histories aren't in it.

The NBA Hall of Fame, as previously alluded to, is hardly the Hall of GreatEST Superstars & Franchise Players Only as some here clearly expect it should be. There are some players in the NBA Hall of Fame that probably don't rate any less higher than what Robert Horry brought to the game.

And don't get me started on the Baseball Hall of Fame....

Rivera
06-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Nice.

I acknowledge the argument as to why he shouldn't be admitted. It's a fine argument. I just also think there is an argument in favor for him getting there eventually.

I don't think it's a question to scoff at.

i honestly do think it is a question to scoff at and if he ever gets in i would be the first to disagree with that decision

i dont see how he could ever make the bball HOF as a player...pictures and moments with him hitting big shots sure they have those scattered across the HOF

but an actual monument of robert horry and to hear him give a speech about being inducted that would make me :puke:

the bball HOF is already kind of a joke and IMO it would just be a big mockery of the HOF is robert horry gets in

its the HALL OF FAME not the Hall of very good

Chronz
06-16-2011, 03:59 PM
I'd say every good player has missed big shots that has cost their team a chance to advance. I'd say Horry has hit his fair share of big shots to help make up for the ones he has missed.
I dont know how you would go about measuring that but enough to warrant the HOF, not in my book, but given the oldies in there he has as good a shot as anybody.

To me yes; you know I'm a sucker for longevity. If I can isolate one year here, his 2005 playoff WS was elite.
Your right, never noticed how strong his 05 season was. It kind of speaks of his inconsistencies or his need to be played in the perfect role. Either that or he may have been injured in 03.

Even if the hall were to get more selective (which I wouldn't have a problem with) you'd still have a lot of boarder-line names in there who have already been admitted, who you wouldn't be able to kick out as a result of stricter entry. I think it's already diluted :shrug: Keeping out Horry wouldn't change that.

On basketball reference his HOF probability is 0.037. I just feel like Horry will be a no brainer on a year where they're having trouble filling out the spots, a decade or so after his eligibility begins. I think he'll be there eventually.

Whats so wrong about kicking people out? How about just having different categories for the HOF, I liked BS idea of the pyramid. Horry would go into the non-star HOF or something.

MFFL==FML
06-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Why should he be in the HOF? Because his daughter died? Anyone who votes "yes" is a moron. He would be the biggest disgrace in the history of the basketball HOF if he ever gets in.

tbomlad
06-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Is this a joke? How about a "should Bruce Bowen be in the HOF" thread, same thing. Somebody delete this thread.

BRADfromOZ
06-16-2011, 10:50 PM
4 horry does not have the international resume
I'm undecided. The above quote I think is why he won't make it into the HOF, but he is the NBA leader in playoff games played... :confused:

TopsyTurvy
06-16-2011, 11:29 PM
I'll preface this by saying the basketball hall of fame is just as bad as the NFL or MLB.

Regardless of who has or has not made it, Big Shot Bob has a place there along with the greats.

Weezyana
06-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Ditto! :nod: ANY PLAYER who has 6 or more NBA rings that didn't play with Mike or Russell deserves to be in the HOF.

He played with 2 of the top 5 centers ever (shaq and Hakeem) the best power forward ever (Duncan) and the 2nd best shooting guard ever (Kobe). So let's not act like he played on the clippers. Would a .245 career hitter who got a few big hits in the world series on some of the greatest teams ever make the hall of fame? Not a chance

MickeyMgl
06-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Which greats have been left off in your opinion? No need to mention players drafted in the late 80's or later such as Reggie Miller. That age group is just now reaching eligibility.

Why is that?

Because the premise is dismissed out of hand. There is no argument that convinces me to water down the HOF by inducting Robert Horry. He was a role player. A very good role player. Role players, win championships... they may even win multiple championships... but that is all their reward. No HOF. Maybe one or more of his teams will give him a framed picture or something like that.

MickeyMgl
06-17-2011, 11:56 PM

You know who's not in the Hall of Fame? Jim Loscutoff. Seven championship teams, no Hall of Fame. If you're not good enough, you're just not good enough, and Robert and Jim just weren't good enough. Sorry. Life's hard.

MickeyMgl
06-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Whats so wrong about kicking people out? How about just having different categories for the HOF, I liked BS idea of the pyramid. Horry would go into the non-star HOF or something.

Put a picture of Horry in the lobby, outside the ticket booth, or sell his bobble-head in the souvenir shop.... but nothing beyond the velvet ropes.

kobelakersnba
07-13-2011, 01:13 PM
for sure horry's a HOF'er :clap:

JordansBulls
07-13-2011, 01:28 PM
If a player was never an allstar more than 3x then IMO he doesn't deserve to be in the hall of fame. Why should a guy who never made the allstar game be in the hall of fame as a player? It's illogical.

Chronz
07-13-2011, 01:30 PM
If a player was never an allstar more than 3x then IMO he doesn't deserve to be in the hall of fame. Why should a guy who never made the allstar game be in the hall of fame as a player? It's illogical.

What about the case to be made for sustained fringe all-star play as is the case with Reggie Miller?

marj987
07-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Surprised this thread hasn't turned into a LeBron conversation.

marj987
07-13-2011, 01:34 PM
But.....Eh IDK.....I think he does and he doesn't...........The fact he hit so many shots and contributed in many ways....IDK......But (from the videos I've seen from him cause I never actually really spectated him) he was in crunch-time moments and not used throughout a season with any team he played for....SO really....No...He doesn't

BritneysBestBet
07-13-2011, 01:35 PM

Well, i disagree because why leave it up to fans to decide who's the games best?
Game of numbers you know, they count the most.

ILMindState
07-13-2011, 01:51 PM
The second option should read "NO :laugh2: ARE YOU SERIOUS!?"

smith&wesson
07-13-2011, 02:02 PM
no, i simply think horry was lucky enough to play with contenders through his career. he made some clutch shots to help those teams win. but he was never a 1st, 2nd or even 3rd option for any of those teams. to me he was simply a ring chaser and fortunate enough to play on teams that were extreamly stacked for theyre respective times.

LOOTERX9
07-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Nope he should not be in. But unfortunantly the Basketball h.o.f is not soley the NBA hall of fame. Lots of mediocre nba players get in based on foreign or college play. Its a complete joke of a hall. Worst of the 3 major sports. The NBA top 50 list is the real list I care bout.

Chronz
07-13-2011, 02:08 PM
no, i simply think horry was lucky enough to play with contenders through his career. he made some clutch shots to help those teams win. but he was never a 1st, 2nd or even 3rd option for any of those teams. to me he was simply a ring chaser and fortunate enough to play on teams that were extreamly stacked for theyre respective times.

Do you remember his time in Phoenix? Wonder why that gets tossed out the window when discussing Horry. Its one thing when stars control their own destiny, they may need more help, but role players? Thats like stacking the chips in your favor. Had Horry been a true HOF caliber player, his teams wouldnt have needed so many GW.

Byronicle
07-13-2011, 02:18 PM
he's just been in the right places at the right time

haggis
07-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Where's the "Hell No :laugh2:" option?

Tony_Starks
07-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Most definitely. Won't make first ballot but he will definitely get there!

PatsSoxKnicks
07-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Yes, because he's got 7 rings. And the more rings you have, the better you are. Horry's one of the greatest players of all-time.

I'm sorry but I couldn't resist.

Tony_Starks
07-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Yes, because he's got 7 rings. And the more rings you have, the better you are. Horry's one of the greatest players of all-time.

Lol. Que the obligatory "Adam Morrison has rings too!" response.....

Hawkeye15
07-13-2011, 03:24 PM
no way. He was simply in the right place at the right time over the course of his career. He was not once a player considered a top 20-30 player in the NBA.

There is no way on earth he should make it in. He wasn't elite at anything, he just fits into the selective memory deal where fans remember the 10-15 clutch plays he made

blastmasta26
07-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Horry was the beneficiary of being a clutch shooter for many superbly talented teams. The Hakeem-led Rockets, Kobe and Shaq Lakers, and Duncan's Spurs were all incredible teams for their respective seasons. Horry did contribute in the playoffs with big shots, but he rarely did much besides that. He did not accomplish anything that no one else could have, I'm sure many players have had the ability to do so, just not the luck to be in the perfect situation as Horry always was.

Horry may get in after several years of eligibility due to his number of championships, memorable shots, and the inclusion of some relatively unworthy players, but I don't think he deserves it.

nycsports2
07-13-2011, 03:34 PM
not a hall of fame player but has had a ridic ount of hall of fame moments and they should be recognised... i dont think HE should get in but there shold be something about his big shots in there

Tony_Starks
07-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Horry was the beneficiary of being a clutch shooter for many superbly talented teams. The Hakeem-led Rockets, Kobe and Shaq Lakers, and Duncan's Spurs were all incredible teams for their respective seasons. Horry did contribute in the playoffs with big shots, but he rarely did much besides that. He did not accomplish anything that no one else could have, I'm sure many players have had the ability to do so, just not the luck to be in the perfect situation as Horry always was.

Horry may get in after several years of eligibility due to his number of championships, memorable shots, and the inclusion of some relatively unworthy players, but I don't think he deserves it.

I beg to differ. Especially with the Lakers not only did he knock down clutch shots but he was able to defend the 3 and 4. Thats a big deal having someone that versatile to defend bigs and chasing sf's off the 3pt line.

Not to mention you guys brush off his clutch shots like its no big deal. That man helped 3 different teams win chips!

heatking2
07-13-2011, 04:26 PM
No

smood999
07-13-2011, 04:48 PM
first i would like to say, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE NBA HALL OF FAME...IT IS THE BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME. this is y u have high school coaches, women, globetrotters, international players, etc. its about what u have done for basketball at ur level! For example, Christian Laetner will most likely make the hall of fame because of his college career at Duke..not cause of his NBA career...Yao Ming will def get in due to his international career...Carmelo Anthony will prob be in just based on him being a freshman that led his team to the national championship, etc....

secondly the HOF is def tilted more towards individual success than team success...example if Stephon Marbury had maintained his career avg of 20 pts and 8 asst he'd be a lock cause no one else besides oscar robinson avg 20 or more points plus 8 or more assist for their careers....he's had horrible team success however and due to the fact that his avg dropped slightly below that his last couple yrs in the league he may not..for a player like him due to his career numbers and him just falling shy of that 20 and 8 mark...his team success will be the reason y he doesnt get in.

robert horry simply does not have enough individual success...sure he was on great teams but were those teams great cause of him? no..also because it is a basketball hall of fame u get compared w ppl on ur level so its not fair to compare him to a high school coach..then again that high school coach accomplished more on a high school level than horry on an nba level..thats the type of comparison u make...petrovic has done more on the international level than horry on the nba level, etc....and the person who brought up advanced stats..im sorry but that is not used, as of now, to determine hall of fame players...his ur plain old fashion statistics

llemon
07-13-2011, 04:51 PM
He'd get my vote

RCarlson85
07-13-2011, 04:56 PM
I say no. He has alot of rings, there's no disputing that. He has really only been a role player on those championship teams though. He was a decent player in a great situation and even hit some big shots, but overall he was always just a role player.

RLundi
07-13-2011, 05:16 PM
No.

If people like Robert Horry can make the Hall of Fame, where do you draw the line?

llemon
07-13-2011, 05:29 PM
No.

If people like Robert Horry can make the Hall of Fame, where do you draw the line?

Vince Carter, the anti-Horry.

kobelakersnba
07-13-2011, 05:56 PM
without horry, most of his title teams wouldn't have won..also its the basketball hall of fame, not nba hall of fame, so he has a great chance at making it (not 1st ballot but about 3th-5th ballot :clap:)

blue collar B
07-13-2011, 05:57 PM
The last paragraph is key. Role players are difference makers when it comes to Championships and Horry was one of the most unusual for being as clutch as he was. This forum seems to show a lack of respect for what role players do. NBA is a league that puts individuals on pedestals even though like other sports it's a team game. The Heat have shown that you don't win without role players. The HOF doesn't need more Carters, McGrady's, Arenas' etc. I think Horry's career is much more interesting and unique.

GoPacers33
07-13-2011, 06:01 PM
yes

Tony_Starks
07-13-2011, 06:23 PM
The last paragraph is key. Role players are difference makers when it comes to Championships and Horry was one of the most unusual for being as clutch as he was. This forum seems to show a lack of respect for what role players do. NBA is a league that puts individuals on pedestals even though like other sports it's a team game. The Heat have shown that you don't win without role players. The HOF doesn't need more Carters, McGrady's, Arenas' etc. I think Horry's career is much more interesting and unique.

You hit it on the head brotha! People pretty much give the stars all the credit but they never look at Posey and House when Boston won, or Trevor Ariza and Artest for the Lakers back to back, or recently Chandler and Marion on Dallas..... the role players are the difference between winning it all or coming up short. The stars are going to do what they do.

Swashcuff
07-13-2011, 06:33 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Swashcuff
07-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Nope he should not be in. But unfortunantly the Basketball h.o.f is not soley the NBA hall of fame. Lots of mediocre nba players get in based on foreign or college play. Its a complete joke of a hall. Worst of the 3 major sports. The NBA top 50 list is the real list I care bout.

So then why are you posting in HOF threads if you don't care about the HOF?

smood999
07-13-2011, 06:45 PM

the HOF is an individual award in every sport...griffey, ripken, gwynn have like 9 postseasons between them in a combined 60 seasons....barry sanders played on horrible teams...point is, its not a team award

llemon
07-13-2011, 06:53 PM
the HOF is an individual award in every sport...griffey, ripken, gwynn have like 9 postseasons between them in a combined 60 seasons....barry sanders played on horrible teams...point is, its not a team award

It's not an 'award' at all.

It's about recognizing a career of superior feats. Being a REAL contributor on 7 NBA Title teams, and more importantly, being a major contributor to those teams in win or lose situations classifies Horry as a HOFer.

Just my opinion, of course.

RaiderLakersA's
07-13-2011, 09:18 PM
It's not an 'award' at all.

It's about recognizing a career of superior feats. Being a REAL contributor on 7 NBA Title teams, and more importantly, being a major contributor to those teams in win or lose situations classifies Horry as a HOFer.

Just my opinion, of course.

An opinion that I wholeheartedly endorse. If up to me, Horry gets in the Hall.

Geargo Wallace
07-13-2011, 09:57 PM
rings are overrated.

Jamiecballer
07-13-2011, 10:19 PM
sure, why not. if you use the same logic people apply to Reggie Miller being one the all-time greats than it should be good for Robert Horry as well.

Catoblepas
07-13-2011, 10:40 PM
its not like being a HoFer is saying hes a top 50 lol.. but he was extremely clutch in pivotal situations throughout his career.. So i would say yeah he is should be in.. even though he cost me a lot of money over the years..

NEVER bet against BIg Shot BOB! you will lose

bringinwood
07-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Rings shouldn't be rated....

Strip Robert Horry of his rings and there lies your answer...

The fact that he is even mentioned is absolutely stupid...

Next up, Derek Fisher... The answer is still no...

tredigs
07-13-2011, 10:41 PM
sure, why not. if you use the same logic people apply to Reggie Miller being one the all-time greats than it should be good for Robert Horry as well.

Expert analysis.

Only problem with your logic there is that those WERE NOT PLAYERS. Listen, Horry was a solid enough all around player and certainly had notable contributions to many winning teams, but you are hilariously blinded by the fact that he was simply in the right situation at the right time.

Any role player who spends his career on three teams that together had 4 of the top 10 players in NBA history is going to garner himself some hardware (and even run up the ranks of "all time" total playoff numbers in certain statistics given how many games these legends led him to).

You're telling me that a player in his max-prime who was not potent enough to be his teams #3 option and was never even considered as a replacement all-star is deserving a pass to the shrine of the best players to ever walk on the hardwood? Yikes. This is the blueprint of a poster who overrates rings and does very little to understand the context of those rings.

Career stats of 7/4/2. Screams Hall to me!

llemon
07-13-2011, 10:44 PM

If you believe Reggie Miller isn't one of the alltime greats, then there isn't much to discuss with you.

tredigs
07-13-2011, 10:45 PM
Over a third of the posters think he deserves to be in the Hall or "are on the fence" about it? WOW, PSD! This site amazes me sometimes.

bringinwood
07-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Expert analysis.

Only problem with your logic there is that those WERE NOT PLAYERS. Listen, Horry was a solid enough all around player and certainly had notable contributions to many winning teams, but you are hilariously blinded by the fact that he was simply in the right situation at the right time.

Any role player who spends his career on three teams that together had 4 of the top 10 players in NBA history is going to garner himself some hardware (and even run up the ranks of "all time" total playoff numbers in certain statistics given how many games these legends led him to).

You're telling me that a player in his max-prime who was not potent enough to be his teams #3 option and was never even considered as a replacement all-star is deserving a pass to the shrine of the best players to ever walk on the hardwood? Yikes. This is the blueprint of a poster who overrates rings and does very little to understand the context of those rings.

Career stats of 7/4/2. Screams Hall to me!

What's the funniest thing is that Horry was a starter on only 1 of those championship teams...

He wasn't a starter for 11 of his 15 seasons as an NBA player...

How the hell does a career bench player make the HOF ???

Please, please, please someone explain that to me...

Lakers + Giants
He doesn't deserve to make it. If he deserves to make it then so does fisher. . .

IndiansFan337
No, not a chance at all.

llemon
07-13-2011, 10:56 PM
What's the funniest thing is that Horry was a starter on only 1 of those championship teams...

You make me laugh and make me sad at the same time.

tredigs
07-13-2011, 10:57 PM

Even if you're not a starter, I could still understand a way for that player to get into the Hall... if he was a perennial 6th man candidate+. Let's say a Lamar Odom type - only if that Lamar Odom type happened to win a Finals MVP earlier in his career, and it was he (not KD) who led us to Gold in the FIBA worlds this past summer, and if he did indeed make the All-Star game this year. Okay - now that's a role player (one far better than Horry, who I still had to create fairy tale situations to make it a reasonable argument) with no prior Euro-league career who we could discuss as a HOF nominee.

But Robert Horry simply has NO argument. You were given front seat tickets to some of the greatest championship runs in NBA history via the chance of playing with All-Time great players/coaches, but that free-pass stops well short of a HOF induction. This is a club so prestigious where one of the greater playoff performers of the past 25 years (Reggie Miller) did not even make the cut, I cannot for the life of me imagine a scenario where Horry even makes the ballot.

BALLER R
07-13-2011, 11:03 PM
this is where the case of rings don't mean everything applies

THE GIPPER
07-13-2011, 11:06 PM
I cant believe anyone voted yes... This gives me hope!!! Maybe I too can enter the NBA Hall of Fame!!!

llemon
07-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Even if you're not a starter, I could still understand a way for that player to get into the Hall... if he was a perennial 6th man candidate+. Let's say a Lamar Odom type - only if that Lamar Odom type happened to win a Finals MVP earlier in his career, and it was he (not KD) who led us to Gold in the FIBA worlds this past summer, and if he did indeed make the All-Star game this year. Okay - now that's a role player (one far better than Horry, who I still had to create fairy tale situations to make it a reasonable argument) with no prior Euro-league career who we could discuss as a HOF nominee.

But Robert Horry simply has NO argument. You were given front seat tickets to some of the greatest championship runs in NBA history via the chance of playing with All-Time great players/coaches, but that free-pass stops well short of a HOF induction. This is a club so prestigious where one of the greater playoff performers of the past 25 years (Reggie Miller) did not even make the cut, I cannot for the life of me imagine a scenario where Horry even makes the ballot.

SEVEN RINGS..............Imagine harder

kidinkkk
07-14-2011, 02:55 AM
HELLLLL NO !!!! wow

x2

marj987
07-14-2011, 03:36 AM
No.

CityofTreez
07-14-2011, 03:40 AM
Not a Chance in Hell!

ChongInc.
07-14-2011, 04:46 AM
Everyones getting into the hall these days. All of them. The basketball, hockey, and football hof's. The only sport that still seems picky is baseball (Pete Rose wont get voted in till he dies). So I believe Horry will get in. Does he deserve it is another question, one that I'm on the fence about. But mark my word he will get in.

J-Relo
07-14-2011, 06:46 AM
I cant believe anyone voted yes... This gives me hope!!! Maybe I too can enter the NBA Hall of Fame!!!

is that you, Lebron?:eyebrow:

sventhedog
07-14-2011, 07:44 AM
is that you, Lebron?:eyebrow:

lol. that's definitely him.

Jamiecballer
07-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Expert analysis.

all i am saying is that Miller gets overrated in my personal opinion because he had Hall of Fame moments rather than a Hall of Fame career. honestly i don't think either him or Horry belongs in the Hall of Fame.

ManRam
07-14-2011, 08:30 AM
No way.

BALLER R
07-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Vince Carter, the anti-Horry.

i would actually rather vince carter make it then horry

t2a2e9j12
07-14-2011, 09:17 AM
voted on the fence but not alot of support for him minus playoff performance so probably no if i were to revote

ddhulett
07-14-2011, 09:30 AM

Career Average
7ppg 2.1Ast 4.8Reb 42%FG

You tell me?
He played with Jordan, Shaq/Kobe and Tim Duncan.

If there was a LUCK HOF he would go into that!

theheatles
07-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Career Average
7ppg 2.1Ast 4.8Reb 42%FG

You tell me?

He played with Hakeem, Shaq/Kobe and Tim Duncan.

PhillyBoomerang
07-14-2011, 11:07 AM
He might not have been the best player or Hall of fame Talent wise.. but you cannot overlook the fact that he has 7 championships and was a BIG contributor in all the rings he won. So personally i would give him a spot just for being the most clutch player in our decade. I would say i mean that three pointer to beat the kings is one of those shots you never forget..

So while he never had the all-stars or the big stat years, he made the shots that counted late in the game, and i think the Hall of Fame is the only way you can accurately thank Robert Horry for being a 7 time champ and clutch player for 3 different teams.. i just dont think we will see another player Like that who is as clutch as him just sayin

RaiderLakersA's
07-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Career Average
7ppg 2.1Ast 4.8Reb 42%FG

You tell me?

He never played with Jordan. You mean Hakeem.

But wait a minute, don't you think that it speaks to his talent and contributions that he was able to deliver when even teams WITH those greats needed that extra play to seal the deal?

Or put another way, he was drafted by Houston. Came in and performed.

Following that, the Lakers (Jerry West, no less) thought enough of his skills to add him to the Lake Show. This on a team where other All Stars couldn't get it done with Kobe and Shaq on the same squad.

Finally, the Spurs knew exactly what they were getting in Robert Horry. And while he was much older, you can credit him with at least 1 or 2 playoff victories were he went into BEAST mode. It wasn't Duncan, Manu, or TP that got it done. It was old man Horry. Imagine if LeBron James had someone like that on his squad when he was in Cleveland. Or if Wade and LeBron had Horry in his prime like Shaq and Kobe did.

In my opinion Horry just happened to play a position in an era when better superstar players got the glory and recognition. But when it was time to put it all on the line, and the team's franchise players couldn't get the team over the hump, here comes Big Shot Rob, time and time again, reminding everyone what it means to keep your word and close the deal in championship form. That's legendary stuff right there. Definitely Hall worthy imho.

SoxBearsBulls!
07-14-2011, 12:46 PM
In my best Chris Moltosanti impression..."Oh get the **** out"!!

Sly Guy
07-14-2011, 02:14 PM
it depends if you believe stats or moments are more important in a game. The man's legacy was that he hit the big shots, not that he was the key man every minute. If you think those moments and that consistency is worth entry then yes, he's a HOF. But I'm not so sure.

Missing56&33
07-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Does Robert Horry Deserve To Be In The HOF?

Seriously, did you have to write all of that to explain your point? All for Robert Horry :)?

I agree with you that yes he does belong in the Hall Of Fame. And I think players and coaches would agree. Robert Horry is probably the only player in NBA history to impact a game(s) without being a dominate rebounder and scorer. I mean the man would miss a point blank layup and dribble the ball off of his feet at times but when it came to making huge game winning shots, he could do that.

He killed us (the Knicks) in the 94' Finals just by hitting huge shots to change the momentum of the game. He was clutch at the line and he's won 7 NBA championships and made major contributions in winning those championships. He could play a little defense if he had to as well. Robert Horry was the kind of player that would hit a big shot, get a huge rebound, get a timely steal and hit two clutch FT under pressure..........but during the game he would shoot several air balls from 3 , get out rebounded by his opponent, get back doored several times with no defense, and miss 3out of 4 FT's.

He should go in the Hall of Fame with his nick name "Big Shot Rob"

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-14-2011, 02:32 PM

Yeah, now I've heard it all... I'm not even gonna get into it. I'll excuse your ignorance Mr. Lemon. :facepalm:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-14-2011, 02:35 PM
first i would like to say, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE NBA HALL OF FAME...IT IS THE BASKETBALL HALL OF FAME. this is y u have high school coaches, women, globetrotters, international players, etc. its about what u have done for basketball at ur level! For example, Christian Laetner will most likely make the hall of fame because of his college career at Duke..not cause of his NBA career...Yao Ming will def get in due to his international career...Carmelo Anthony will prob be in just based on him being a freshman that led his team to the national championship, etc....

Melo will also get in due to his NBA career.

tredigs
07-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Seriously, did you have to write all of that to explain your point? All for Robert Horry :)?

I agree with you that yes he does belong in the Hall Of Fame. And I think players and coaches would agree. Robert Horry is probably the only player in NBA history to impact a game(s) without being a dominate rebounder and scorer. I mean the man would miss a point blank layup and dribble the ball off of his feet at times but when it came to making huge game winning shots, he could do that.

He killed us (the Knicks) in the 94' Finals just by hitting huge shots to change the momentum of the game. He was clutch at the line and he's won 7 NBA championships and made major contributions in winning those championships. He could play a little defense if he had to as well. Robert Horry was the kind of player that would hit a big shot, get a huge rebound, get a timely steal and hit two clutch FT under pressure..........but during the game he would shoot several air balls from 3 , get out rebounded by his opponent, get back doored several times with no defense, and miss 3out of 4 FT's.

He should go in the Hall of Fame with his nick name "Big Shot Rob"

Basically, you're rewarding a player a Hall Of Fame nod because he chucked SO MANY TIMES in the playoffs that yes, some did indeed fall and he was awarded the golden star. It's the same thing with Kobe (who has missed more last second shots than any player in NBA history), you (and the media) remember the great and casually dismiss the overwhelmingly poor shots into the recesses of your memory. Only difference is that Kobe IS the man, and has a monster impact on the entire game - while Robert Horry is your average bench player.

Here's his career summised in a nutshell as delivered by him/SLATE:
Horry's true genius isn't his clutch shooting. It's his understanding of roundball amnesia. After sinking a buzzer-beater against Sacramento in the 2002 playoffs, Horry explained his philosophy. "If I hit it we win, if I miss y'all are going to blame the stars for losing the game anyway," he told the Washington Post's Michael Wilbon. "There's no pressure on me." Horry has none of the guts and gets all of the glory. In the 2003 playoffs, Horry went 2-for-38 from behind the arc—and everybody blamed Shaq and Kobe for the Lakers' downfall. After this year's Game 3 drubbing, Horry got off again—it was Manu Ginobili's and Tim Duncan's fault

http://www.slate.com/id/2121018/

If you play enough minutes for THREE DIFFERENT LEGENDARY DYNASTIES in the span of your career - and literally nowhere else - you're going to hit some big shots. Horry was at his max-prime arguably a top 50 player in the NBA, and that's a stretch. He spent most of it outside of the top 100.

Context is king fellas, learn it. PLEASE.

thawv
07-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Does Robert Horry deserve to be in the HOF? I posting a poll and would like your comments, but my answer (though I may be in the underwhelming minority) is yes. My reasons are posted below:

Is Robert Horry as good as Hakeem? Jordan? Magic? Bird? The answer is a resounding no. Does that mean he doesn’t deserve to be in the Naismith Hall Of Fame? No. There are a number of people and players in the Hall Of Fame that are nowhere near the talent level of players like Chamberlain, Russell, West or Baylor, but each person in the Hall Of Fame have done something special during their basketball careers.

Talent is a key to getting into the Hall Of Fame, but it is not the only thing one needs. While players like Jordan, Magic and Bird have played at a level that is head and shoulders above many of their peers, they do not themselves define what one must do to enter the Hall Of Fame. Zigmund J. “Red” Mihalik, for example, is an official, or as the Hall Of Fame refers to the title “referee”. He has never even so much as officiated a single NBA game. He worked primarily in the NCAA (six NCAA finals), and the Olympics. As far as the NBA goes, Mihalik has accomplished nothing. As for NCAA standards, there are officials he have worked more games. Mirko Novosel likewise is a name not many NBA fans will know, and his work in coaching never even so much as won Yugoslavia a single gold metal, but he had a special career because he did something special within his own context. Cathy Rush likewise has done seemingly little to earn a spot in the Hall Of Fame. She hasn’t coached any teams to NCAA finals, hasn’t set any records, but she has helped to expand women’s basketball in several ways and was involved in a gold medal winning Olympic team. None of these players have created a buzz for the game the way Julius Irving has, or Michael Jordan, or Kobe Bryant or LeBron James, but they each have worked within their respective roles and achieved what others have not.

Robert Horry like; Mihalik, Novosel and Rush, had a role. Like Novosel, who lost the last game he coached at every Olympics, Horry has seen others outperform him. He’s lost starting positions, was disappointed when his contract was not renewed with the Lakers, and was almost traded by the Rockets the season he won his first NBA title. As a result, his role was as a substitute, a bench player, a role player. And he has achieved things in that role that no other player in that role has achieved. Horry was rarely a starter in his career, and was never a first option, but he has accepted his role and excelled at it. There are other role players who have won titles, James Posey for example has provided defence and three point scoring for the Miami Heat and Boston Celtics. Bruce Bowen did much the same for the Spurs. Steve Kerr and John Paxon likewise have provided three point shooting (both for the Bulls), and James Edwards provided some rebounding, interior defence and post scoring for the Detroit Pistons. Horry likewise has been a role player throughout much of his career. Though he started for Houston during their two championship runs, he has come off the bench for most of his career. For Houston, Horry came up with huge defensive plays, three point daggers and some rebounding, for the Lakers Horry has dropped game winning shots in key games against teams like the Spurs and Kings while giving some help on the boards, and for the Spurs Horry helped send the Pistons home with a game winning shot that helped Duncan and the Spurs win their fourth title. The game winning shots, the defence and rebounding has helped Robert Horry win seven NBA titles, more than any player of his generation. More titles than Jordan, and Pippen, more than Kobe and Shaq and Duncan.

Some argue that one needs to have exceptional talent, to be an All-Star. That Horry should not have his name next to players like Chamberlain and Jordan. But the Hall Of Fame is already filled with players who have not had the impact on the game that Jordan and Chamberlain had. Drazen Petrovic for example, played only four seasons before his career was tragically cut short. He had two seasons where he scored 20+ points a game, but was known across the league for being a poor defender and was only once was a part of a team that made a run for the title and it was a team that performed as well without him as they did with him (Portland was back in the NBA finals two years after Petrovic left). Robert Wazner has meek stats because he played in the pre-shot-clock era, and has only one title to his name, but few doubt his right to be in the NBA Hall Of Fame, though he is certainly no Jordan, or Magic or even Stockton for that matter. David Thompson, while having an impressive collegiate career, had a relatively quiet NBA career. His career scoring averages are meek, and he was never even a part of a title contending team. His collegiate career though was a special one and for that his place in the Hall Of Fame has never been questioned. Horry likewise excelled as a role player to the tune of seven championships, more than any player who wasn’t a part of the Boston/Russell dynasty. Players like Petrovic, Thompson and Wazner played nowhere near the level of players like; Jordan, Chamberlain, Magic, Robertson or Russell, but each have had a special career that sets them apart from others, just as Horry has excelled at his role and has in turn accomplished things that nobody else in his type of position has ever accomplished.

There are those who feel that there are other players who are more deserving of a spot in the Hall Of Fame who will likely have trouble getting a position in the Hall Of Fame. Players like: Vince Carter, Tracey McGrady, Carmelo Anthony, Lamar Odom, Pau Gasol, Derron Williams, Chris Paul, Jerry Stackhouse, and Gilbert Arenas. But if you take these players, and players like George Gervin and Dominique Wilkens, players who were leading scorers in the league, like Wade, Kevin Durant and Charlie Scott, Dan Issel, Adrian Dauntley and Alex English and combine all their NBA titles, they still don’t have as many championships between them as Horry has by himself. Some of these players are still active and may yet win titles, but what Horry has done is something special. Being the winningest player of his generation is something special, something that sets him apart from everybody else he ever stepped on the court with.

There are those who will say that Horry should not be remembered along with the stars of his generation, that he is not as good. But Hakeem may have never even won a title without Horry. Shaq and Kobe may not have won a title together had Horry not been on their team and the Spurs may have succumb to the Detroit Pistons had Horry not been able to provide the clutch shooting that helped the Spurs put the Pistons away in the NBA finals. While many NBA greats, like Nash, Duncan, Magic and Bird, have been accredited with making the players around them better, Horry has done something few role-players have done: he’s made his supser-star teammates better. He has helped to bring NBA titles to players like Hakeem, Bryant, O’Neal and Duncan. It is true that each of these players would have likely won titles without Horry, but it is certainly clear none of them would have won as many as they did without him, and for that, for his countless game winning shots, for his seven NBA titles, and for being the winningest player of his generation, Robert Horry deserves to be remembered alongside of the superstar players that he has helped to turn into champions, and I’m sure each of his Hall-Of-Fame teammates would welcome him into the Hall with them.

Wow! This is a lot of writing and time for someone who has ZERO chance of getting in.

ChiTownPacerFan
07-14-2011, 02:53 PM
WHY IS THIS THREAD STILL OPEN?

If Horry belongs in the basketball HOF, then Milli Vanilli belongs in the Rock and Roll HOF.

Missing56&33
07-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Basically, you're rewarding a player a Hall Of Fame nod because he chucked SO MANY TIMES in the playoffs that yes, some did indeed fall and he was awarded the golden star. It's the same thing with Kobe (who has missed more last second shots than any player in NBA history), you (and the media) remember the great and casually dismiss the overwhelmingly poor shots into the recesses of your memory. Only difference is that Kobe IS the man, and has a monster impact on the entire game - while Robert Horry is your average bench player.

Here's his career summised in a nutshell as delivered by him/SLATE:

http://www.slate.com/id/2121018/

If you play enough minutes for THREE DIFFERENT LEGENDARY DYNASTIES in the span of your career - and literally nowhere else - you're going to hit some big shots. Horry was at his max-prime arguably a top 50 player in the NBA, and that's a stretch. He spent most of it outside of the top 100.

Context is king fellas, learn it. PLEASE.

I agree thats what makes Robert Horry a special player. If you asked any of the great players that Horry has played with, and he has played with some great ones......Hakeem, Kobe, Duncan......nobody is more clutch than Robert Horry.....and he does the little things that don't make the stat sheet. If Pop loved him, he was special. Not to mention what he was going through in his personal life with his daughter but he came to play every night.

AIRMAR72
07-14-2011, 03:51 PM
a clear indication that rings mean NOTHING its about MVPs the hardware that counts when it comes to knowing how great a player has been tru out their career but bob is NO hof but 7 rings are hard to ignore knowing he did with 3 diffrent teams rockets,spurs and da lakers maybe we should consider craig hodges a hof

theheatles
07-14-2011, 04:41 PM
no

faridk89
07-14-2011, 04:56 PM
If we want to use the OP's Logic Adam Morrison is on pace for a HOF career!!!

ChiSox219
07-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Horry had arguably the greatest Finals performance ever, scoring 21 point in the last 17 minutes of game time (he played just over 14 of those minutes) and hitting the game winner, all while playing injured.

The series was tied 2-2, if it weren't for Horry, the Spurs go down 3-2 and who knows if they comeback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdik09RGJI

He's a HOFer in my mind and not just because of one game or several big shots.

llemon
07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
This thread has gone on for such a great amount of posts that I may now give my favorite response............

It is all a matter of opinion.

rmonte4
07-14-2011, 06:19 PM
I wish I could see those who voted yes.

If you vote Yes, you should get a perma-ban on PSD.

HAHAHA :clap:

Avenged
07-14-2011, 07:25 PM

1. KAJ* 8851
2. Kobe Bryant 8165
3. Scottie Pippen* 8105
4. Shaquille O'Neal 8099
5. Karl Malone* 7907
6. Wilt Chamberlain*7559
7. Magic Johnson* 7538
8. Bill Russell* 7497
9. Michael Jordan* 7474
10. Julius Erving* 7352
11. Dennis Johnson* 6994
12. Tim Duncan 6952
13. Larry Bird* 6886
14. John Havlicek* 6860
15.Robert Horry 6823
*= In H.O.F.

Rank Player WS
1. Michael Jordan* 39.76
3. Magic Johnson* 32.63
6. Tim Duncan 28.84
7. Bill Russell* 27.76
8. Julius Erving* 26.89
9. Kobe Bryant 26.85
10. Jerry West* 26.75
11. Larry Bird* 24.83
13. Karl Malone* 22.99
15. Dirk Nowitzki 22.08
16. John Stockton* 21.35
18. Kevin McHale* 20.67
19. Horace Grant 20.00
20. Reggie Miller 19.90
22. John Havlicek* 19.27
23. LeBron James 18.53
24.Robert Horry 18.22
*=HOF

^

MalZee24
07-14-2011, 08:37 PM
:laugh: at the people that said yes

buch88
07-14-2011, 08:44 PM
absolutely not. he shouldnt be in.

Duncan = Donkey
07-14-2011, 11:38 PM
lol, **** no. It'd be embarassing seeing this guy in it. Simply not good enough of a player.
Whoever voted yes, is an absolute clown or homer or relative.

GhostfaceDrilla
07-15-2011, 02:22 AM
No........

Horry was clutch but he was just lucky to be playing with Hakeem, Kobe, Shaq and Duncan all his career.

BUCSFORLIFE123
07-15-2011, 05:21 AM
hell no wth is this