PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Rubio has already signed with T'Wolves

AI4MVP
06-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Well, since there is a new thread about how Rubio will not sign with the Wolves from ESPN, i think this report made about 15 minutes ago should have a thread it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6663540

BILBAO, Spain -- Ricky Rubio has already signed a contract with the Minnesota Timberwolves and the hold up keeping him from leaving Barcelona is related to his buyout agreement, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

"This is just a bump in the road for (the Timberwolves)," said one source.

Rubio's Spanish club won the ACB championship Tuesday, after which Rubio said:

"We are talking with Barcelona and we will soon see."

That fueled speculation Rubio might not come to Minnesota for the 2011-12 season. But two sources told ESPN.com Rubio has already signed with the Timberwolves. He still must receive a letter of clearence from FIBA, the sports' international governing body.

Earlier this month, The Associated Press and The (Minneapolis) Star Tribune reported that Rubio, the No. 5 pick in the 2009 NBA draft, had reached an agreement to join the Timberwolves after two seasons with Barcelona.

The Timberwolves did not confirm those reports, which followed years of speculation that Rubio, 20, did not want to leave Europe or pay the multimillion-dollar buyout of his Barcelona contract out of his own pocket.

Rubio said he was "very happy" after Barcelona won the Spanish league title, according to the Spanish publication Mundo Deportivo. "This title is the most widely appreciated. At last I have it and we must all be proud of it."

On Wednesday, a source close to Rubio told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that he is unaware of any change to Rubio's plans to play in the NBA next season.

Timberwolves president David Kahn called Rubio "a virtuoso and somebody special" after drafting him in 2009. Kahn and agent Dan Fegan had an agreement to bring Rubio to the NBA that summer, but Rubio withdrew from that deal at the last minute after deciding he did not want to pay a $6 million-plus buyout.

With the passing of two seasons, Rubio's buyout from Barcelona has decreased to $1.4 million. The Timberwolves can contribute up to $500,000 of that amount under current league rules.

Rubio averaged 6.5 points a game on 39 percent shooting this season at Barcelona, where he dealt with a foot injury and fell out of the starting lineup. The Timberwolves believe Rubio will flourish in the NBA, where guards have more freedom to create than they do in the stricter offensive schemes common in the European game.

"He's gotten bigger and he plays outstanding defense, and because he's a pass-first guard he's going to be liked by everybody who plays with him," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said last year. Krzyzewski coached Team USA against Rubio and Spain in the Beijing Olympics.

Rubio dominated the junior circuit in Europe and turned professional at 14. His flashy style and baby face made him an instant sensation in Europe.

Although Rubio's stock dropped this season, the woeful Timberwolves -- winners of a combined 32 games the past two seasons -- remain in need of a point guard to feed the ball to Kevin Love and Michael Beasley.

dodie53
06-15-2011, 07:04 PM
good for the twolves if true

AI4MVP
06-15-2011, 07:08 PM
good for the twolves if true

this is not directed towards u, but i find it funny that whenever ESPN reports something positive its truth is in question, but whenever its something negative not only do PSDers believe it, but make it a much bigger deal

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 07:09 PM
as speculated by many, Rubio's comments were directed at the buyout. Bring on the Rubio era for my Puppies

AI4MVP
06-15-2011, 07:11 PM
I dont know if its annoying or fun that my favorite player is the second most hated man on PSD.

Sadds The Gr8
06-15-2011, 07:14 PM
oh. nice for the TWolves. finally get to see what he can do.

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 07:14 PM
I dont know if its annoying or fun that my favorite player is the second most hated man on PSD.

While Rubio hasn't been given a warm response on PSD, there is NO way he is hated more than LeBron, Kobe, Rose, or a handful of others on PSD.

Hellcrooner
06-15-2011, 07:16 PM
While Rubio hasn't been given a warm response on PSD, there is NO way he is hated more than LeBron, Kobe, Rose, or a handful of others on PSD.

1 lebron.

. 2 Rubio..

... 3 Gasol ( pau).

. The rest.

thats how psd hatred goes.

Swashcuff
06-15-2011, 07:32 PM
Rubio hated? Oh give me a break. There are tonnes of players who are more hated than Rubio.

Jays Claw
06-15-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm genuinely excited to see him finally play in the NBA. Now it's time to see what he's really got and to see if all the hype is legit. Hopefully he doesn't disappoint and lives up to the expectations. Trust me, the expectations are sky-high on this kid.

eric1501
06-15-2011, 07:33 PM
oh. nice for the TWolves. finally get to see what he can do.

Funny how you were one of many that said he wouldn't play for us....Alls it takes is one article for your thoughts to change.....Point blank that today is a boring day in the sports world only thing going is Game 7 Stanley Cup....No new LeBron garbage....nothing on NFL deal....Lets make a big deal out of Rubio saying "We will talk with Barcelona and soon see"

GiantsSwaGG
06-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Rubio hated? Oh give me a break. There are tonnes of players who are more hated than Rubio.

Exactly...Lebron is on the top of the list and some of it is well deserve!

eric1501
06-15-2011, 07:38 PM

Every thread thats made about him as more than 75% of the people saying he is a bust and "LOOK AT HIS STATS! HE IS AWFUL"

I don't think there has ever been a player that has been labeled BUST as much as he has BEFORE he has even stepped foot in the NBA!!

I just can't wait for Love to snag a board give his outlet pass to Rubio at half court and watch a pass first point guard make plays to his wings Beasley, Johnson and hopefully Derrick Williams!

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Every thread thats made about him as more than 75% of the people saying he is a bust and "LOOK AT HIS STATS! HE IS AWFUL"

I don't think there has ever been a player that has been labeled BUST as much as he has BEFORE he has even stepped foot in the NBA!!

I just can't wait for Love to snag a board give his outlet pass to Rubio at half court and watch a pass first point guard make plays to his wings Beasley, Johnson and hopefully Derrick Williams!

His point is that there are what, 25 Rubio threads in the last year. How many LeBron/Kobe/Rose/blah blah blah threads have there been to crap on a guy.

Yes, in the small world that is Rubio hate, he gets it. But not to the daily degree that many other players get. Now, that may change when he is in the NBA. If Rubio has a 13/12/4 game, and we win, it will be all chirps. But if the next night he throws up a 2/4/5 turnover game, the board will be filled with criticism.

Welcome to PSD. The board with tons of fans with the memory capacity of a goldfish

Mplsman
06-15-2011, 07:42 PM

For reals.

tredigs
06-15-2011, 07:43 PM
1 lebron.

. 2 Rubio..

... 3 Gasol ( pau).

. The rest.

hah ehhh - being Spanish, I'd say you're defensive about those two - hence, you feel they are more "hated" anytime something negative (even if true) is said about them.

As Hawk said, Kobe and Rose are far more hated than those two. I don't even consider Pau or Rubio hated to be honest. The knocks on them are often for good reason - especially in Rubio's case - who has a LOT to prove to live up to the hype his fans espouse.

LEBRON/Rose/Kobe, even Bosh, are all in a whole different dimension of PSD/media emotion than those guys.

Mplsman
06-15-2011, 07:44 PM
His point is that there are what, 25 Rubio threads in the last year. How many LeBron/Kobe/Rose/blah blah blah threads have there been to crap on a guy.

Yes, in the small world that is Rubio hate, he gets it. But not to the daily degree that many other players get. Now, that may change when he is in the NBA. If Rubio has a 13/12/4 game, and we win, it will be all chirps. But if the next night he throws up a 2/4/5 turnover game, the board will be filled with criticism.

Welcome to PSD. The board with tons of fans with the memory capacity of a goldfish

:laugh2: SIG worthy.

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 07:47 PM
hah ehhh - being Spanish, I'd say you're defensive about those two - hence, you feel they are more "hated" anytime something negative (even if true) is said about them.

As Hawk said, Kobe and Rose are far more hated than those two. I don't even consider Pau or Rubio hated to be honest. The knocks on them are often for good reason - especially in Rubio's case - who has a LOT to prove to live up to the hype his fans espouse.

LEBRON/Rose/Kobe, even Bosh, are all in a whole different dimension of PSD/media emotion than those guys.

there are plenty of realistic fans out there when it comes to Rubio. I think he will struggle many nights next year. Sure he looked good on defense in FIBA, or the times we saw him against the US, but he hasn't faced the spacing and athletes the NBA possesses. He can't shoot. He is physically not very strong yet.

I am honestly hoping he shows the ability to simply run a team, and can give our scorers some easy looks versus Love and Beasley having to create EVERYTHING for themselves on a nightly basis.

I don't see all star potential in him (sorry Wolves fans). But I do see a floor general who can disrupt an offense defensively.

Swashcuff
06-15-2011, 07:49 PM

And that's what you call hate?

Puhlease!!!

Misinformed fans jump to assumptions about players who they don't fully understand. Rubio was soooo hyped and also being compared to Steve Nash didn't do him well. They expect a player who is as hyped as Rubio to find his niche and dominate the European game. They are not hating they just to see what is so special about him.

Hating is when every single thing a player does is placed under a microscope and viewed in a negative light. Rubio is not hated, people are just growing tired of this potential phenom keeping them waiting to see what he is really made of.

daleja424
06-15-2011, 07:50 PM

not a bust... just not a savior...

and boo hoo... there were more Lebron hate threads TODAY than Rubio threads total the past year on PSD...

CityofTreez
06-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Funny how you were one of many that said he wouldn't play for us....Alls it takes is one article for your thoughts to change.....Point blank that today is a boring day in the sports world only thing going is Game 7 Stanley Cup....No new LeBron garbage....nothing on NFL deal....Lets make a big deal out of Rubio saying "We will talk with Barcelona and soon see"

Be easy on him man. He's a Raptors Fan for crying out Loud!

Regarding Rubio finally coming over..........FINALLY!

Swashcuff
06-15-2011, 07:55 PM
not a bust... just not a savior...

and boo hoo... there were more Lebron hate threads TODAY than Rubio threads total the past year on PSD...

When has the ever been a Rubio "hate" thread? :confused:

daleja424
06-15-2011, 07:56 PM
When has the ever been a Rubio "hate" thread? :confused:

doubt there has ever been one... maybe a few rubio DOUBT threads...

but that was my point...

Swashcuff
06-15-2011, 07:58 PM
doubt there has ever been one... maybe a few rubio DOUBT threads...

but that was my point...

Exactly.

There have been more Kevin Love "hate" threads than Rubio.

marj987
06-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Doesn't matter I think Cuban's gonna make a move to get Rubio......I think he's planning to sign then trade Barea for him.

Hellcrooner
06-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Doesn't matter I think Cuban's gonna make a move to get Rubio......I think he's planning to sign then trade Barea for him.

you know that mavs have 0 assets that would make sense for wolves to take for rubio, dont you?

Mplsman
06-15-2011, 08:17 PM

Intriguing, but kahn would not do it. He is obsessed with Rubio.

AI4MVP
06-15-2011, 08:25 PM

it would take more then barea to get rubio from the wolves

Dash
06-15-2011, 08:43 PM
It's LeBron

and then no one is even close.

GreekFreak
06-15-2011, 08:44 PM
RIIIIIICKYYYYYYY RUUUUUUBIOOOOO!!!
that is all

Jenceman
06-16-2011, 01:41 AM
I hope he becomes a star. I'm rooting for him.

uncleben989
06-16-2011, 08:32 AM
1 lebron.

. 2 Rubio..

... 3 Gasol ( pau).

. The rest.

believe it or not, everything in the nba doesnt revolve around spanish players

Evolution23
06-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Bust in the making. I can feel it.

WSU Tony
06-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Now, trade that #2 pick for a vet that Rubio can actually work with....

If Rubio is working with a bunch of 22 year olds and doesn't put up very good numbers, PSD will blame it on Rubio, not his team. :laugh:

WolvesJagsOs
06-16-2011, 03:31 PM

lol. Good luck with that man. No way would we trade Rubio now, this organization is infatuated with him.

WolvesJagsOs
06-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Bust in the making. I can feel it.

Yeah. How cant you feel that? A dude with great court vision, already saying he will be a top 10 guy in steals next year, amazing passer, should make good looks for other players, very good on the fast break. Definetely a bust in the making.