PDA

View Full Version : question about inefficient players?

james21
06-15-2011, 01:11 PM
How can ppl say that a player is inefficient if he shoots 45% from the field? ala monta ellis? If you call players like this a chucker, or he shoots alot, 45% is still 45% which means he is efficient and making alot of shots. please explain

FOBolous
06-15-2011, 01:21 PM
the larger the sample size = more shots missed = more offensive opportunities for the other team

Chronz
06-15-2011, 01:28 PM
How can ppl say that a player is inefficient if he shoots 45% from the field? ala monta ellis? If you call players like this a chucker, or he shoots alot, 45% is still 45% which means he is efficient and making alot of shots. please explain

Dont listen to FOB, the real reason is because your using an outdated measure of efficiency. Its all about per possession efficiency. PPP, eFG%, TS%, OFF.RTG

These are the stats used to measure different aspects of Efficiency.

Thats only half the story though, some players are forced to carry large loads or are so efficient in doing so that its for the benefit of the team. So efficiency is looked at within the scope of the players usage, a high usage high efficiency player like Dirk is what wins games. Monta is high usage middling efficiency, the reason people trash him was because he used to be worse. He took a step up this year with improved talent alongside him, but it came at the cost of their own efficiency. Which is why I hate Monta, I dont have absolute proof but every year the evidence builds.

Monta suppresses the efficiency of players around him, which is why historically his teams and by virtue is teammates, have fared better with him off the court.

Tarheels23
06-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Dont listen to FOB, the real reason is because your using an outdated measure of efficiency. Its all about per possession efficiency. PPP, eFG%, TS%, OFF.RTG

These are the stats used to measure different aspects of Efficiency.

Thats only half the story though, some players are forced to carry large loads or are so efficient in doing so that its for the benefit of the team. So efficiency is looked at within the scope of the players usage, a high usage high efficiency player like Dirk is what wins games. Monta is high usage middling efficiency, the reason people trash him was because he used to be worse. He took a step up this year with improved talent alongside him, but it came at the cost of their own efficiency. Which is why I hate Monta, I dont have absolute proof but every year the evidence builds.

Monta suppresses the efficiency of players around him, which is why historically his teams and by virtue is teammates, have fared better with him off the court.

No homo